Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3D Art & Art Tools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Redjack
Simple as that.. Though I found that you need to overshoot the template boundaries a bit to insure no white spotting at the edge. When I compared some of the provided MATs I found that they also overran the template.
swirler
yeah I had to learn to do that fopr textures in SecondLife

I used to design Super avvies
Gray
QUOTE (swirler @ Apr 12 2008, 09:01 PM) *
so did you guys paint the templates and then apply them or is there more to it?
I've thought about trying some of that

Depending on how the clothing is designed, you can use flat cloth textures, but for more complex model, you have to export the mesh, or download a texture template and paint within the lines. For the Urban Camo, I used a square camo design, and applied it to all the cloth areas. I put a dark gray shader on the buttons and left their texture alone. I did the same with the webbing.
Fuchs
I usually work with the "skin" tab, to recolor pattern such as camouflage. If I need to change a skin further, I usually copy the original texture, and wotk on it, then save it as a texture, and apply it through the skin tab.
Gray
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 12 2008, 08:06 PM) *
- I prefer to use the "Export Poser Materials" script. That creates pz2 and thumbnails.

I found the script on the Poseworks web site. Thanks for the tip.

Here is a full outfit texture I did for nekoja's Cheerleader for Victoria 4. I was able to save all the materials to .pz2 files using the Export Poser Materials script.

Penn State Cheerleader

I need to do a Washington Huskies texture, then I can nominally call it Shadowrun! smile.gif

[edit]
And here it is... Sam in Washington Huskies Cheerleader outfit

It's not accurate, as they really have a big "W" on their uniform, but I liked the Husky better.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Apr 12 2008, 04:16 AM) *
Tons of very good freebies:
Most Digital Creations

...pulled stuff off from there already, excellent resource.

While the render of Captive Audience came out pretty well, I wasn't totally satisfied with how Leela looked. For one her face didn't quite match the Hi Mr Drone picture and as I note in the link, there is an odd contortion to her neck. What I did here was import the "Mr Drone" figure to a separate file and redid the pose. I also had since downloaded some new content: the Rockin Ashley (new textures for the Ashley clothing) Osean Hair (which is closer to the way her hair looked when she was still in Seattle) and the Multiplane Cyclorama with Portrait Paper (which lets me put something behind a sketch that renders quickly).

Leela redux

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Gray @ Apr 13 2008, 07:43 AM) *
I found the script on the Poseworks web site. Thanks for the tip.

Here is a full outfit texture I did for nekoja's Cheerleader for Victoria 4. I was able to save all the materials to .pz2 files using the Export Poser Materials script.

Penn State Cheerleader

..ACK! So is this only for Poser or can it be used in D|S? I have to make up KK as a Badgers Cheerleader (even though she's never been there and Leela's a little too, ahem, "small", though she would be sooooo cute...).

Yeah even though that is the UConn logo it does kind of work. Heck by 2070 who knows what the university logos would look like. My old high school (St Francis) used the same helmet logo as the SF 49ers when I was there, albeit in Red & White.

BTW looked for Eagle One in the RR Marketplace, couldn't seem to find it.
Gray
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 13 2008, 05:04 PM) *
..ACK! So is this only for Poser or can it be used in D|S? I have to make up KK as a Badgers Cheerleader (even though she's never been there and Leela's a little too, ahem, "small", though she would be sooooo cute...).

Yeah even though that is the UConn logo it does kind of work. Heck by 2070 who knows what the university logos would look like. My old high school (St Francis) used the same helmet logo as the SF 49ers when I was there, albeit in Red & White.

BTW looked for Eagle One in the RR Marketplace, couldn't seem to find it.

No it is a script for DAZ studio to make material MAT files in Poser (.pz2) format. If you save them in the Runtime folder they can automatically load your new textures. ==> Link to script

I have noticed that you need to store your new textures in the same folder as the pz2 files or they cannot find the resources, and you need to find them by hand anyhow.

It's the UW logo ==> Washington Huskies. Here is the UCONN logo ==> UCONN Huskies. It's immaterial since they really have a big giant "W" instead of a Husky on their uniforms. I was going for cool, rather than accurate. Sam is a "U Dub" student (SINner on an endowment fund from her parents' estate). I have not quite decided if she is a cheerleader. She is majoring in dance, so it is a possibility, but she only takes 12 credits on Tuesday and Thursday. She IS on the chess team.

Here is a link to the vendor who makes Eagle One ==> thunderr
Kyoto Kid
...thanks for the links,

Thunderr appears to have much better pricing than the Low-Poly soldiers (also DL'd Wisconsin & Oregon Logos).

For Washington all I've usually seen was the big "W". Than again not a big UW fan living here in Oregon. wink.gif

Alas, the only "school" Short One attended didn't really have cheerleaders, as it was a private Dojo in Kyoto & the Adept group she was hung out with there (the Tsunami Sisters) wouldn't take too kindly to her flashing their symbol around. grinbig.gif
Redjack
I broke down and blew my budget again today... Among my purchases was the veepster.

Gray - Where is that free black MAT for the veepster?
Gray
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 13 2008, 08:27 PM) *
I broke down and blew my budget again today... Among my purchases was the veepster.

Gray - Where is that free black MAT for the veepster?

Yeah, it was my birthday, and I blew all my birthday money too. Among other things I got the Road Hog. I already had Urban Sprawl, but this is the first time I used it.

Sam and Scrimp go for a ride on his Hog

Here is the link to the free Night Stalker texture.

Also got the Panel Van.
Redjack
I've been wanting the Road Hog, just can't bring myself to pay that much for a prop. Probably should have bought that before I bought Mediterranean Streets, but oh well.
I stocked up on a few items today. I have a few weapons I am looking at on Renderocity, then I am done (except $1.99 impulse buys) for some time... biggrin.gif

I really like how the low-res soldiers are one MAT file. I think they are way over priced, especially in the bundles. I will edit the MAT files and change out some of the weapons and I should be g2g for a mass invasion scene. I had 12 copies of M3 in the armor and weapons loaded today. Was a little sluggish, though the render went well. The biggest issue was it locked up trying to clear the scene. That made me break down and buy Mr Low-Res. The little walker is $1.99 and with all the free sci-fi models I will probably do several sci-fi renders soon. My Alternity group is feeling pretty neglected these days...

Thanks for the link... (that led to an hour of freebie downloading and the creation of yet another content subdirectory. wink.gif )

Fuchs
Here's a scene from D&D:
This jailer got too close to a captive barbarian...
Gray
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 13 2008, 10:41 PM) *
I've been wanting the Road Hog, just can't bring myself to pay that much for a prop. Probably should have bought that before I bought Mediterranean Streets, but oh well.
I stocked up on a few items today. I have a few weapons I am looking at on Renderocity, then I am done (except $1.99 impulse buys) for some time... biggrin.gif

There is some free patio furniture for the Mediterranean Streets that is free until tomorrow on DAZ. I got that but not the Med Streets. May have to pull the trigger but I haven't yet.

I got a bunch of low poly WWII stuff (I got 3 packs for $45, and there are like 20 different men, vehicles, landing craft, buildings terrain etc.).

Which helicopter model is in the picture?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Gray @ Apr 14 2008, 07:02 AM) *
I got a bunch of low poly WWII stuff (I got 3 packs for $45, and there are like 20 different men, vehicles, landing craft, buildings terrain etc.).

...I take it those are the ones Thunderr sells.

I should be downloading Streets of the Med soon (when my payment clears).

Now the vehicles, those are from VP correct? And they work in D|S? Just about everything I saw there seemed to be only for 3DS Max.
Gray
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 14 2008, 11:04 AM) *
...I take it those are the ones Thunderr sells.

I should be downloading Streets of the Med soon (when my payment clears).

Now the vehicles, those are from VP correct? And they work in D|S? Just about everything I saw there seemed to be only for 3DS Max.

Yes they are from Thunderr. I have Eagle One, Eagle Two and Vogel Einz... I need to get Vogel Zwei yet...

Most of the vehicles are from VP. In products you can filter by what application you use (Pick Poser). Both the Veepster and the Panel Van work fine in D|S. I found one weird thing with the panel van's struts that hold up the hood. They float about 10 feet in front and above the van, but if you morph them they go in the correct position. I also plan to do a render with the GP Willy (Jeep) from Eagle Two. It ought to be a good vehicle for my Shaman with Gremlins (kinda like Dresden Files on TV, he has a Volkswagon in the books).

The Road Hog is from DAZ. A little pricey, but well worth it.

Let me know how you like Streets of the Med... I'm playing around with Urban Sprawl right now, but I may have to pick the Med up while it's still on sale. Don't forget the free Mediterranean Patio Funriture from DAZ. It's only free until tomorrow. Link
swirler
found this Aztec calender on sharercg. It's bryce but it should be convertable

thought it would be useful in some aztlan stuff
Kyoto Kid
...yep have the patio already, pretty nice I must say. Picked up a nice low poly Aztec Pyramid off 'Rosiity yesterday as well as some really cool buildings for Bryce from ShareCG.

For the vehicles, only have D|S, so will the Poser version still work?

Used CrossDresser for the first time last night. Works like a charm. Converted an Aiko 3 clothing piece from the Hippie Clothing set to V4 & it fits pretty well.

Also getting better at playing around with Texture MATs. Layered one from the Aiko 3 Back to the Beach freebie onto the Domino Shorts & it worked perfectly. I'll post the results tomorrow night in the finished version of the "Hi Mr Drone" pic (which now has a full background setting). Be warned - it pegged the needle on my system's cuteness meter.
Redjack
QUOTE (Gray @ Apr 14 2008, 09:02 AM) *
There is some free patio furniture for the Mediterranean Streets that is free until tomorrow on DAZ. I got that but not the Med Streets.
Got both.

QUOTE (Gray @ Apr 14 2008, 09:02 AM) *
Which helicopter model is in the picture?
That is the Littlebird from VP with the free SWAT texture.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 14 2008, 10:04 AM) *
Yea, the vehicles I bought were all the Poser model from VP. (You can filter the products to Poser) I only use D|S. They work great there.

QUOTE (Gray @ Apr 14 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Most of the vehicles are from VP. In products you can filter by what application you use (Pick Poser). Both the Veepster and the Panel Van work fine in D|S.
I have the little bird and that $1.99 mech they have as well. Both work great!

The Road Hog is from DAZ. A little pricey, but well worth it.
Yea... pricey... Can't bring myself to pay that for it...

Let me know how you like Streets of the Med... I'm playing around with Urban Sprawl right now, but I may have to pick the Med up while it's still on sale. Don't forget the free Mediterranean Patio Funriture from DAZ. It's only free until tomorrow. Link
I really like it. Its a cool set and I used it in a vampire render as well. Well suited for a number of goth scenes... wink.gif
Fuchs
A really quick picture of DD's (From Sink, Hollywood, Sink) persona in the matrix.

May be NSFW: DD in VR
Kyoto Kid
...OK, here's the full scene:

Mr Drone - take two

...don't know why it loaded so small.
swirler
KK I found this tutorial on daz about using poser content in daz. Dunno if that will help you or not.
Kyoto Kid
...thanks. This actually looks very helpful. Didn't even occur to me to use the Preferences menu for searching and setting things up.
john_doe
QUOTE (swirler @ Apr 16 2008, 12:30 PM) *
KK I found this tutorial on daz about using poser content in daz. Dunno if that will help you or not.

Damn they make it look so easy. What the hell is my problem?
swirler
glad I posted it then
smile.gif
team effort!
biggrin.gif
swirler
Daz Studio 2.1 update
Gray
I was playing around with making my own simple objects and textures with the help of UV Mapper. Here is a low ploy Mayan Calendar object I made with a cylinder and a Mayan Calendar image I found on Google Images. Here is a good beginner's Texturing Tutorial. It has a section about making a tranparency map. Here's my version of the dress in the tutorial. I converted it to V4 with Cross Dresser ==> Sam in dress
swirler
thats cool Gray
man... im likin the new menu options for daz 2.1
you can drag n drop things into appropriate categories now
swirler
ugg when you uninstall the prior version (it recommends you do) it removes the content that came with it (horse, cat, dog) stuff like that

im reinstalling the prior version and seeing if I can install 2.1 w/o having to kill 2 first

hopefully it will just write over it
Kyoto Kid
...Actually they made a separate DL file to reload the Free content that came with 2.0. Here's a linky winky (apologies, have Clockwork Orange on the brain).

Daz 2.0 Content DL

The link to the content DL is in the first response after the OP.

Gray: Damn, Sam looks so cute love.gif in that dress. Now that I've done a couple conversions, I'm going to try the V3 MFD and Kimono morph to do up the Short One in classic style (don't know why they never updated the Kimono for V4)

Copied off the tutorial, I really need to work on this more.
swirler
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 17 2008, 10:18 PM) *
The link to the content DL is in the first response after the OP.

thanks for pointing that out
I had heard it was there but couldnt find it for the life of me until you said where it was
bleck
bad night
Fuchs
Finally! My content folders are a mess. Once they update the content manager, I'll be able to sort the stuff.
swirler
yeah I spent awhile moving stuff around last night
still nowhere near done

but I like the option now
its nice
Redjack
Loaded 2.1 this morning. Not sure I like the new content database... Not sure I like that at all. But I have my content all organized nicely now where I can find it.

I've been considering ParticleFX for some time. Then today I see that Jepe's Z-Bundle is on sale for the same price... The Z-bundle doesn't do the water and I already have a Nerd's Fog Tool Deluxe III but all the options for fire and some other FX seem to outdo ParticleFX. The muzzle flash in PartcleFX looks cool, but I'm not sure it makes up for all the stuff in the Z bundle (or that it couldn't be duplicated in the Z-Bundle).

Kyoto Kid
...Installed 2.1 (bare bones w/o the new content as I pretty much already have everything offered) last night along and the 2.0 content. Since it was late, didn't play around with the content manager or other features but will do so tonight. Just wanted to make sure nothing else was broken, though I did notice one casualty in that all my saved camera positions & angles were switched back to the starting default X/Y/Z coordinantes (for example in opening up Captive Audience I found the main camera positioned back in the middle of the street behind Leela). More annoying than anything else as I had to reposition the POV again.

Another thing I noticed was that D|S seemed to run slower (camera moves took longer than usual, almost as bad as before I got the memory upgrade). Screen changes also seemed a bit rough and clunky when switching between viewport tabs. Probably should have rebooted after installing to reset the memory, I'll see what happens tonight.
Gray
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 18 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Loaded 2.1 this morning. Not sure I like the new content database... Not sure I like that at all. But I have my content all organized nicely now where I can find it.

I've been considering ParticleFX for some time. Then today I see that Jepe's Z-Bundle is on sale for the same price... The Z-bundle doesn't do the water and I already have a Nerd's Fog Tool Deluxe III but all the options for fire and some other FX seem to outdo ParticleFX. The muzzle flash in PartcleFX looks cool, but I'm not sure it makes up for all the stuff in the Z bundle (or that it couldn't be duplicated in the Z-Bundle).

I have the Particle FX and the Jepe's Elements. It really depends on what you want to accomplish. Jepe's stuf is all 2-D, but it light on hogging system resources. It's nice to rotate the camera and not have to reposition the effects, but some times it's easier just to use the 2D stuff.
Gray
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 18 2008, 12:18 AM) *
...Now that I've done a couple conversions, I'm going to try the V3 MFD and Kimono morph to do up the Short One in classic style (don't know why they never updated the Kimono for V4)

I think the textures for V3 MFD will work on the V4 MFD, you just need to make sure you get all the parts of the MFD you need for the kimono. They come in 3 or 4 sets (but they're only $1.99 each). I doubt if the morph will work though.
Redjack
QUOTE (Gray @ Apr 18 2008, 02:43 PM) *
I have the Particle FX and the Jepe's Elements. It really depends on what you want to accomplish. Jepe's stuf is all 2-D, but it light on hogging system resources. It's nice to rotate the camera and not have to reposition the effects, but some times it's easier just to use the 2D stuff.

How happy are you with the Jepe stuff? Now that you have them, on a scale of 1-10 (1 = no way; 10 = absolutely) what rating would you give as to your proclivity to buy it again? Do you find the angles at which they work limited?

Which of the two do you find most useful: ParticleFX or Jepe's?

(Thanks in advance)
Gray
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 18 2008, 04:07 PM) *
How happy are you with the Jepe stuff? Now that you have them, on a scale of 1-10 (1 = no way; 10 = absolutely) what rating would you give as to your proclivity to buy it again? Do you find the angles at which they work limited?

Which of the two do you find most useful: ParticleFX or Jepe's?

(Thanks in advance)

Jepe's stuff is nice, but being 2D, it is limiting. For a quick scene, I do use it instead of the particle effects. I'd give it a 6-7.
Gray
Did anyone have any luck reinstalling the old DAZ 2.0 content? I installed it and I can't find the models anywhere in the content menu. I unistalled DAZ 2.1 and put 2.0 back in and they showed up again plus some really old ones like Millenum CAT LE.
Redjack
I had all mine installed in other directories, but no, no problems. It even either auto detected my directories or found a previous configuration. It is available to me in the "Load" tab in the new content manager format or the "Pose/Animate" tab in the old content manager format.
Gray
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 18 2008, 07:33 PM) *
I had all mine installed in other directories, but no, no problems. It even either auto detected my directories or found a previous configuration. It is available to me in the "Load" tab in the new content manager format or the "Pose/Animate" tab in the old content manager format.

THey disappearedf again as soon as I changed my interface to the new style. How do you set it back to the old style of content manager? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? What folder is Millenium Dragon LE in now?
Redjack
I didn't change anything to get the old style....
Gray
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 18 2008, 09:18 PM) *
I didn't change anything to get the old style....

Right I didn't either... I had it, but when I changed it I can't change it back. The first tiem I installed IO had the new style and no 2.0 models. They second time I did it, I had the old style and the old models, until I changed the interface to new style. Then they disappeared. And didn't come back no matter which interface I chose.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Gray @ Apr 18 2008, 04:16 PM) *
Did anyone have any luck reinstalling the old DAZ 2.0 content? I installed it and I can't find the models anywhere in the content menu. I unistalled DAZ 2.1 and put 2.0 back in and they showed up again plus some really old ones like Millenum CAT LE.

...I had no issues with the reinstall of the 2.0 content package. All the critters are back in their proper places on the Content Tab. 2.1 even retained the interface style I had in 2.0. Of course I DL'd and installed the "No Content" version so maybe there's a difference?
Redjack
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 18 2008, 08:47 PM) *
Of course I DL'd and installed the "No Content" version so maybe there's a difference?

I installed the full version of 2.1 to see what new, free content was added.
swirler
im still lookin around for it
will let you know if I figure it out
im wondering if there isnt some new "refresh" you have to hit now, where it isnt auto anymore
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 18 2008, 07:10 PM) *
I installed the full version of 2.1 to see what new, free content was added.

...most of it save for the hair, clothes and furniture was content I already had. Wasn't sure if the Vicky 4 basic that was offered would have messed up my Vicky 4 pro content.

...and I had just purchased the Cyclorama a week ago along with several of the add ons too (at least it was all at PC price).
swirler
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 18 2008, 08:35 PM) *
Wasn't sure if the Vicky 4 basic that was offered would have messed up my Vicky 4 pro content.
nope adds a "new" one "v4 ez", and there are some new morphs
swirler
okay so I found the answer to the missing new stuff this link has it.

or you can just go to the "add directory" thingy and have it search
I did that
found tons of stuff I'd forgotten smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012