Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T-Town
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
ludomastro
That aren't destroyed? Highly unlikely. However, I can not authorize their removal, now can I?

MITNick finds he has completed all but the last step as outlined by Tinman.

Now. Once you and your friends are ready, I will initiate the self destruct sequence.
fistandantilus4.0
MITNick gives a little smile, looking over his shoulder at Flash with a questioning look.
Oh I don't know about that. I'm sure there's a few things you can "authorize". You've been in this system for, how many years now? Surely you've got some access and a few other things that might make taking you out of here a bit more worth our while.
ludomastro
Tinman seems to freeze for a while. "What's in it for me?"
fistandantilus4.0
Well, you're a free thinking program that is presumably about to get out into the world, and discover there's a lot more to it than just research programs. I'm sure you understand the concept of money. How about a finders fee of 15% for whatever research we can sell?

Again, MITNick is loking over his shoulder at Flash for his assent or disagreement, still not pulling the last plugs.
SinN
Chester wanders around the around checking for presences he'd perceive as threatening.

He looks at the on going conversation between MIT-Nick and Tinman.

Ill never get it.. He says with a shrug and a sigh.
ludomastro
Tinman doesn't respond for a while. Alright, how about this. I will destroy this facility - no one should have to face that plant thing - but you can grab a few files to take with you. I would recommend the research on augmented animals and new cyberware.
fistandantilus4.0
... was actually thinking of taking a sample of that too.... Then again, thing seems to eat power...

Sounds wiz. Where'd that be? In system, or hardwired somewhere?
ludomastro
The files are in the system. I believe the aforementioned plant devoured the labs in question.
Redjack
As the hacker talks to the program, Flash thinks through the details. A nice bonus would sure be nice and go a long ways towards getting the family off my back.

"Let's get the files and get ourselves out of here."
fistandantilus4.0
MITNick nods to Flash, then turns back to the Tinman.

Show me the way, and we'lll get out of here. All of us. The ice protecting this stuff's going to be years out of years. Shouldn't be able ta' hold a candle to modern progs.
ludomastro
A quick trip through the system provides MITNick with what he needs. The IC while old by today's standards was obvious cutting edge back then. It offers a few challenges but nothing he can't handle. Once that is done he is back in the meat with Tinman asking, Are we ready now?
fistandantilus4.0
I think so.

MITNick quickly saves the bonus pay to a back up disc, 'cause every hacker knows the only safe info is the info not online, then disconnects the last few plugs from the deck. He gives a 'Y'all ready' look to Flash and the kid, then waits for them to lead the way, tucking the deck protectively under his arm.
ludomastro
As the last plug is removed, a siren and one of those annoying, pre-recorded super-calm, female voice comes over the speakers. Please proceed immediately to the nearest exit. This center is under evacuation. Please proceed immediately to the nearest exit. This center is under evacuation. Report to your division heads at your assigned muster location for roll call.

Tinman sends MITNick a simple AR message. It's going to start the self destruct countdown in about five so we should hurry. Outside of the execs, I don't think anyone would have over-ride access to certain doors.
fistandantilus4.0
MITNick sprints. He barely keeps up with Flash as he runs for the elevator, but it's the fastest he's moved in a while.

Let's get the hell out of here!
SinN
Chester runs right along side MIT-Nick. Regretting wearing such baggy pants and hoody.

C'mon old man, dont show me your age now!
Redjack
"Roger." Flash moves forward picking his way back through the facility. His weapon is carried low and ready and the hair stands up on the back of his neck as the next chapter of the run ramps up with a charge of adrenaline.
ludomastro
As the team dashes pell-mell through the area, the do not see any sign of the deathly plant. The alarm drones on in a threatening manner as they reach the elevator. While no slower than on the way down, the trip seems to take forever as they come back to the main level.

Standing in the doorway are a wiry, scruffy-looking but obviously strong man and a pack of coyotes.

Hold!
fistandantilus4.0
MITNick hesitates for a moment, then mutters quietly to Flash.

Uhh... someone feel like maybe just shootin' the crazy guy with the mutts trying ta keep us from gettin' outta this bunker bomb?

MITNick slowly shifts the deck to his back, easing the shotgun to the fore.
ludomastro
Y'all have anything to do with this here scar on our land?
Redjack
"Not unless you unless you are askin' if we're the clean up crew." Flash spits out with adrenaline charged bravado. He takes a step forward, SMG hung low but on target. "And we need to be leaving. You got minutes until the reclaiming begins." He takes another determined step forward, measuring advancement against perceived threat level.
fistandantilus4.0
I like this guy.

MITNick nods from the back, "Backing up" Flash. Always seems to work for the gangers in the sprawl.
ludomastro
The hairy man sniffs the air before nodding. Let us be goin' then. The coyotes with him begin to howl as all turn and move away from the building. Only a slight time later, the team realizes the coyotes and this man are leading them as well as corralling them toward a clearing.

They arrive only seconds before the building begins to explode and burn with pops and sizzles as well as copious quantities of smoke.

The man looks at the group and asks, with obvious fear in his eyes, "Did ya hafta bring the burning tounges ... I mean, did you have to burn it?"
fistandantilus4.0
Uhh.... na, that wasn't part o' the plan. That evil place musta had some sort o' trap to burn down the forest as a last Frag You ta Mother Earth. Those bastards. We'd best all get out o' here. Could be all sorts o' nasty bio agents and things in the air. We could be breathin' it in right now! WHo knows what the dvils might have cooked up!

What a crack this guy is.
Redjack
Seeing the clearing, Flash veers at an angle to keep from actually entering the clearing but rather skirt the perimeter. "Whatever caused it to go up, it wasn't us. But we need to make distance." Flash's paranoia begins to kick into over drive. The mangy mutts this guy keeps are freaking me out.
SinN
Chester stears clear of the old man, and keeps as much distance between him and his pack as possible, looking on the astral as much as possible in his direction.

Damn it! I knew I should have learned to accense!

He turns to Flash and says quietly:
Are we supposed to just follow him blindly? I dont like this Flash.
fistandantilus4.0
I say we make for the van. Frag this guy and the dogs he rode in on.
Redjack
<<@Team [Flash] Yea. That clearing stinks of ambush.>>
ludomastro
The man sniffs the air a few times and calms down. You can get out that way, pointing toward a thicket of brush and brambles. Your vehicle is that way.

As the team looks to where he is pointing, the coyotes begin to move away. When they look back the man is gone but there seems to be one more - familiar looking - coyote in the mix.
fistandantilus4.0
I've been in the sticks to long, if I can tell the diff'rence between these mutts.

MITNick starts to edge towards the thicket, then waits, figuring it's smarter to let Flash take the lead. He seems to know about these sorts of things. Nervously, he grips the deck tighter, the shotgun still in his other hand, stock tucked under his arm.

Whatever, let's just get the frag outta here!
ludomastro
In short order the team makes their way to the truck. It appears undamaged.
Redjack
Flash swings on up into the truck, "Let's get the frag outa here."
Meriss
"Ten four and good riddence." Steve mutters as he turns the ignition and starts the process of turning the truck around.

"So here's a fun convo, What ta fuck was up with hairball and his mutts?"
fistandantilus4.0
Con Roll
[ Spoiler ]

Who the frag cares. Lets just get back to some concrete and contact this Johnson.

MITNick starts checking out the deck to see if there's a way to hook it up for a wireless transmit. The J asked for hte Deck. He said nothing about the AI that decided to hitch along. While wondering if setting loose an AI would be a good way to make a new ally, he can't help but wonder if maybe the Tinman wants to get to this Johnson, and the mainframes he'll likely have the decked hooked up to.

None o' my concern. Tinman wants to go for a walk, that's all good to me. He wants to stay put, it ain't none o' my thing. Less I know the better.
Now where did I see that mutt...?
Redjack
Climbing into the back of the truck, Flash continues to stay alert.

<<@Team [Flash] That's what I'm talking about. Get the yen and get it on.>>
fistandantilus4.0
<<<<@Flash[MITNick] Damn straight. Anything else is just background rez. You got any idea what was up with that old coot and his mutts? Seems like we've seen them dogs somewhere before.

In any case, I'll be glad to get back to civilization. >>>>

MITNick threads a quick encryption cypher, copying the key to a hard format, and handing it to the man, before kicking out a coded message to the man.

Threading up the Encrypt Form
[ Spoiler ]

<<<<<@Flash[MITNick] Obviously this chat is private. The kid is running his own show, and I ain't even sure the other guy is even on this run. We got some questions we gotta be askin' 'bout what Tinman's all about. Did it set up this run? I didn't see any way to communicate outside of that bunker, but it would explain the detailed floor plans. But then, it didn't seem interested in giving us anything but what it needed to get out, but the J gave us the whole lay out.

Does it want to go back with the Johnson? Does he know about the AI? How would he react to a piece of property being turned over with an AI inside it, most importantly? Are we talking haooy J givin' a bonus, or pissed J sayin' we were givin' 'im a trojan? Or should we make another side deal with the Tinman? Lotsa drek we gotta get straight while the Tinman is still in a deadzone.>>>>
ludomastro
The truck roars to life and the team is able to start heading out.
fistandantilus4.0
While waiting for Flash's no doubt thoughtful reply, MITNick starts checking out this deck, running some systems checks on it, but carful to make sure there's no AI intruding into his own comms. He keeps only one connection up, through a comm line, and activates his own ice, and Crack Sprite to monitor the system. It's been a while since he messed with an actual cyberdeck, and he feels all nostalgic, almost 'back at home'. The things are wonderful, you don't need a microscope just to find the MCPC chip, unlike those damn tiny commlinks.

Wonder what makes this thing so damn special. Wonder if I should be trying to find out.
Redjack
Flash listens to the lengthy dissertation from the hacker and considers what he has to say. Letter of the law and profit motive kick in.
<<@MITNick [Flash] Johnson 's paying for the deck, not Tinman. I got way too many bills to pay to be giving charity. I say we cut a side deal with the... Well, what ever he is. >>

Visions of a bank account balance with a lot of zeros, not just one, floods his imagination.
<<@MITNick [Flash] Say.. Can't he just make nuyen? Its all ones and zeros and AR fluff.. Right? >>

fistandantilus4.0

<<<<@Flash[MN] Doesn't really work like that. Counterfitting's got a lot to go into it. Every electronic transaction automatically checks to verify funds. It was alot easier ten years ago, but the system keep getting faster. You have to be able to convince the receiving system that the nuyen is legit, comin' from a legit bank. They use drek like water marks and receipt verifications. 'S easier ta' spoof a system inta' believi'n that ya' paid it than ta' make fake 'yen. 'Sides, then you got the Secret Service and the like on ya'. GOD if it gets real bad. Counter fittin' ain't all that easy, or every hacker'd be doin' it. Takes a lot of work, includin' back ground work. Easier to trick systems indipendently.

Think yer right on Tin man. Shall we pitch it to em?>>>>>

Redjack
Flash grimaces. Why the hell can't it just be easier now?!

<<@MITNick [Flash] So ka. Let's do it... and having a Ghost in the Machine, so to say, would be a big plus for us...>>

Despite the conversation, Flash keeps watch all around and overhead. This run isn't over yet...
fistandantilus4.0
Nodding to thir silent convo, MITNick opens a private chat line, sending an invite both to the Tinman and to Flash.

<---Tinman, Flash---->
-Tinman, we got your digi-hoop outta the box. We're headin' back towards civ'lization, so nows the time ta get our ways straight. You prob'ly, already know that this deck's promised ta' someone. So unless ya' wanna end up as some corp property, ya' might wanna share with us exactly what ya'd like to do ta get outta the showbox here. We're willin' ta' help ya out a bit, but we gotta know what yer lookin' for first. -

ludomastro
As the vehichle lumbers forward the trees hum past on either side.

<<@MITNick [Tinman, Flash] You don't know what corp is going to get this deck? Are you trying to kill me? Let me think.>>
fistandantilus4.0
MITNick rolls his digital eyes.

<<<<@FLash, TINMAN [MITNick]
Don't be obtuse. If we were trying to kill you, I'd hit the DELETE button, or throw the deck out the window. WHen we took the job, you weren't a factor. You weren't involved in this at all until we found you inside. The Johnson asked for the deck. There was no mention of any sort of AI , or even programs. All he wanted, all we were hired for was hardware. We can help each other out.>>>>

ludomastro
<<@ MITNick, Flash [Tinman] I suppose we can. What are you proposing? I have been out of circulation for a while now. Perhaps you would allow me to utilize a wireless connection?>>

The truck keeps getting closer to civilization as storm clouds begin rolling in.
fistandantilus4.0
~Private line to Flash

<<<<<@Flash[MITN] How 'bout we work him out as a side liner. I'm usually a bit more of a one-timer, but I think we cover each other's soft points pretty damn well. You wanted a "Ghost in the Machine", so let's see if he's up for the job. Only question is just how he'll want to get paid, but I got an idea on that.>>>>

<<<<@Flash, TINMAN [ MITNick] Well, like ya' said, yer knew to the Wide Wireless World. You're gonna need to get yer hoop otta this box, and you aren't really pr'pared for what's out there, even if ya can slice the code with somma the best. So, work with us. We take jobs as they come, and with you on my back, we'll have some serious matrix muscle. In exchange, I can do yer hardware work. Yer gonna need more than a distri'bited network, 'specially in this burg. I can get ya some serious tech, or build it myself. Wit hthe jobs we take, we can get cash ta' upgrade ya'. You help us, we help you. Soka?>>>>

Redjack
<<@MITN [Flash] Yea, not really sure how we pay him. Not like he's a genie in a bottle where we can rub the lamp for wishes. I'm up for following your lead. Accidental karma has come back to me in the past. I'm not above playing it straight with him.Not sure how we get leverage once he's free in the matrix anyway.>>

<<@MITN/Tinman [Flash] Yea. What he said. We help you in the meat, you help us in the virtual.>>

<<@MITN [Flash] Just tell me this isn't some split-personality dooms-day code....>>
ludomastro
<<@MITN/Flash [Tinman] Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. However, before I accept, I will need access to the matrix to look around. Take it as my one condition. Do we have a deal?>>

As the truck bounces and bobs, the team passes the first signs of civilization.
SinN
Chester almost jumps out of his seat.

Oh thank god! Ive had just about enough of this forest thing.

He looks to the team.

So whats the plan? What do we tell the J? And what about our little tinman friend?
fistandantilus4.0

<<<<@Flash[MITN] "Dooms day" wha...? Man, you watch too much trid. You know that's just the kind of thing They want you to think. Trid's full of subliminal programmaning anyway. Takes days to extract it all. I'll go over children's sims with you one of these days.[>>>>

<<<<<<@TINMAN, Flash [MITNick] NP, we'll make a quick stop and get some parts. SImple commlink and some cords should do the trick.

MITNick pulls up a listing of local vendors, setting a route for an electronics shop. No one is looking for them, so he brings his comm back onto private mode, but keeping his ID open. He makes a quick "store run", grabbing a bottom of the line commlink with some extra gear to boost its bandwith (assuming that an AI is going to have some serious sized code to broadcast). He grabs some adapter cables for the deck, and some munchies for the road. He's been watching his waist line since the days of sitting around in his mother's basement with a deck, but today's haul is definitely worth some snacks and an energy drink.

Once back in the van, he tosses around a few snacks (no energy drink for the kid) and goes to work on TINMAN, giving him wireless access (making sure his own comm is secure, as well as the van).
ludomastro
Mere instants after he is online, Tinman responds.
<<@ Team [Tinman] It would appear that my former owners were absorbed during the years I was absent. I wish to work with you for one more job. I will pay. I am still formulating all details. Complete your transaction without mentioning my existence and I will explain later.>>

Now fully engaged in civilization the team can smell the normal acrid and decaying odors of the city.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012