Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T-Town
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
ludomastro
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:11:00; Mall Parking Area, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

The troll's head snaps up. "You don't know?!" He seems surprised and some of the fear has gone out of him. "Yeah, maybe this works for me." he mutters to himself. "You get me some medical help and out from under T-MAP before they swoop down on us all and I'll tell you what I know."
Thanee
Raven; PAN = Passive [Skinlink]; SIN = Sabrina McCoy (not broadcast)
Sustained Spells - Improved Invisibility (F3, 3 hits; sustaining focus)

"I'm a healer, I will see what I can do." Raven answers the troll.

"Just do yourself a favor and don't try anything stupid."

She levitates over to where he is, still invisible, and calls the spirit that was summoned earlier to her side.

"Welcome, my friend," her voice can be heard. "If this one here dares to attack me, teach him that it is not a good idea and defend me."

The spirit materializes, taking the form of a huge black-feathered bird, and watches the troll, as Raven drops her sustained spells to keep the strain from her concentration. She stays invisible, though, as that spell is sustained by her focus.

"Don't move!" the shaman calls out to the troll, as she inspects the wounds on him. "Does this hurt?" she asks, as she pokes at this wound, quite intent to cause some pain. Serves you right!

"That doesn't look too bad, really. Let's see..." she then casts her healing spell to treat the troll's wound.
ludomastro

The troll screams in something more akin to a roar, "Yes, that hurts. Are you some kind of sadist?" As the magic takes hold he softens his voice and adds, "Thank you. Now let's get out of here so I don't get busted in this crazy town and so you can have your information."

Sirens can be heard getting closer.
Zyerne

Angel roared up alnogside the group, parking up next to Step. Seeing that Raven had her priorities all wrong, she helped the injured elf onto her bike then looked to Flash, pitching her voice so that only he could hear her.

"Trip's Roadhouse, 1 hour."

Making sure Step was secure as possible, she roared off, calling Elizabeth as she went.
Thanee
Sustained Spells - none / Active Spirit Powers - Concealment (F5; on Raven, Flash, MITNick, Ludo, and Mr. Troll)

Raven nods to the troll. "Ok, let's do that. Follow me!"

Then she heads down to the others, dropping her invisibility on the way.

When she reaches the rest of the group, Angel and Step are already moving out.

She quickly informs them about the troll. "Relax, he is no threat. He will tell us why we were attacked and then we will part ways."

The shaman then looks to her spirit, that is still accompanying her keeping a watchful eye on the troll. "You can stay on the astral now. I don't think he will try anything, and even if so, you will be back quickly enough. I have another service to ask from you. Please conceal us." She indicates herself, Flash, MITNick, Ludo, and the troll.

The huge bird nods and croaks, before disappearing. Shortly thereafter, the group is shrouded with the spirit's power of concealment.
Redjack
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:11:18; Mall Parking Area, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Seeing the last of the gangers fall, Flash moves back across the lot, scooping up the inert grenade. He validates that it in fact is not armed and moves in where the gangers were shooting from. He nodded to Angel as he began collecting weapons. He considered finishing the rest, but elected to give each of the living, stunned, gangers a swift kick to the head instead before moving back to gather his collection of vests.

Looking to Nick, Strep, Ludo, Raven and the troll he says, "We need to roll." Loaded down, he heads to Nick's ride to throw the haul in the back.
ludomastro
The team is able to move away from the area without attracting too much attention. As the team goes off to each members chosen destination, the local new feeds begin on trix. There is a surprising number of descriptions from the vaguely accurate - "A large troll that kinda looked like a rock." - to the truly bizare - "There was a 5 meter tall mage blasting things with his eye-beams!"

With things somewhat calmer, the team has a brief moment to catch its collective breath.
Thanee
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:20:00; Mall Parking Area, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Sustained Spells - none

As things calm down a bit, Raven addresses the troll bounty hunter.

"Now let's get this down so we can part ways here. What was this talk about a bounty and why did you and those ganger amateurs attack us? Tell us what you know!"
phlapjack77
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:11; Mall Parking Area, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

As the events played out Ludo was able to experience them with a sort of detachment. Watching through his eyes, which weren't his at the moment, was always a little unusual for him. The disconnect just never seemed truly the way things should be. A part of him whispered that there was another way, a better way, one that had been known and then lost.

Seeing Step being taken care of by Angel, the earth spirit addressed Ludo. We are victorious. Do you require anything else?

Ludo responded, Not at the moment, brother. It seems we are safe now, thanks to your help. I release you from your service.

The spirit departed with a quick sensation of appreciation. Feeling the possession end, Ludo couldn't help but feel a little less than whole. He wondered idly if this was how drug addicts felt, coming down. Shrugging his shoulders slightly, Ludo followed Flash and the others to the back of Nick's van. It was a bit of a tight squeeze with two trolls plus the others, but Ludo wasn't bothered. He closed his eyes and meditated, keeping a part of his senses on the here and now to what was going on around him. Feeling the bouncing of the van on the road, the uneasy shifting of the troll on the seat, Ludo allowed all these sensations to wash over him.
ludomastro
"Now let's get this down so we can part ways here. What was this talk about a bounty and why did you and those ganger amateurs attack us? Tell us what you know!"

The troll looks up at Raven and starts giggling. Then realizing that his mouth is moving without checking in with the brain he holds up a large hand in the seemingly universal gesture for 'wait'. "Sorry. You gotta look at this from my perspective for a minute. Here I am sitting on a crate at the bar when the message comes out that there's a bounty for a team coming out of the mall this afternoon. I figure, what the hell, most folks in this town aren't pros, ain't none of us innocent, so what's the harm in me making bank offa somebody else? Now, if you hadn't been in there, you mighta been looking to bust one in my behind."

He waits for the information to sink in before he continues. "Now, your team is worth about 40K for the first ones to bring you in. Another 20K if you're still breathing. No idea who is dropping the contact cause I don't believe for a minute that SK would let their Johnson spill that in a chat room."

He closes his eyes for a minute and adds, "Now, seeing as I can't see so well and my memory's bad, are we done?"

phlapjack77
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:21; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Letting his senses slip gradually into the astral as he meditated, Ludo watched the interplay of the colors on the troll's aura as he tried to explain his actions. Ludo knew what his tribe's reaction would be to this prisoner. He now wondered what the positions were of his newfound teammates.
Thanee
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:21:00; Somewhere, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Sustained Spells - none

Raven listens to the words. Some thoughts cross her mind, most of them about how mind-boggingly stupid someone must be to even try something like that... alone. Or how he was supposed to manage carrying the whole group.

"We are almost finished, but not quite. What bar are we talking about? How did that message get to you? How were you going to get in touch with whoever is offering that bounty?"
ludomastro
The troll grins. "Sure." He throws out an AR replay window of a shadow chat room. There is a display of a wanted poster like in that movie, Fistful of Nuyen. It calls for the capture of a team of runners that are scheduled to be at the mall this morning. "Now, we can leave the bar and my people out of this."
phlapjack77
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:21; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Realizing that it is long past when he was supposed to meet back up with Johnny, Ludo begins quietly humming. The deep, low pitch is barely audible, more felt than heard. Still with his eyes closed, Ludo's will gathers and coalesces in the astral. A small form gradually hovers before him.

Please find Johnny Elk Crosses the Meadow. Tell him I'm safe, and will contact him later. Wakan Tankan Nici Un
Thanee
Sustained Spells - none

"Ok, sure. But that still doesn't tell me how to get in touch with those people. How would you contact them? A copy of that recording and connection details for that chatroom would be great, too."
ludomastro
The troll grins and says, "I've been collecting bounties for years now. This got sent to my comm. No chat room. You must not get out much if you think everything only happens on-line." With the grin rapidly turning to a smirk he touches the "WANTED" portion of the poster. The following information pops up:

CODE
Wanted for interviews.  One team of so called shadowrunners (or individual members of the same) to be found leaving the mall around 1300 hours.  Payment is for live subjects still in possession of their faculties.  Bounty is two thousand nuyen each.

ID: 96-952-8451-85-9-6357

"Now, if you are done testing my patience, I have places to go."
Thanee
Sustained Spells - none

"Well, in that case... not quite yet. You said the bounty is 40K plus another 20K if we are still alive earlier, now that message shows something else entirely. And you mentioned 'SK'. If all you got is that message, then how did you make that connection? There is a lot missing in this picture, and unless you are talking straight now, I will have to get a little more insistent, if you understand what I mean..."

"Also, if the message was sent to you directly, and it wasn't something you picked up somewhere more public... which was my impression earlier... then why were those gangers here, too? Any idea?"
phlapjack77
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:22; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

An insistent tugging on his psyche brought Ludo back from his wanderings of the astral. The colors of his surroundings took on various hues and shades as the van rolled through the neighborhoods of Tuscaloosa. Not at first noticing what had been causing the disturbance, Ludo astrally sent his senses left and right, in front and behind, up and...there! An indistinct yet immediately recognizable form hovered slightly below his eye level. Mentally commanding the spirit to proceed, Ludo received a short communication.

Hoi chummer! Got your message - why you can't use the 'trix is still beyond me. Anyway, don't let any of these guys pull any fast ones on you, you got it? Run anything by me if you want. I know you're still green at this kind of thing.

ludomastro
The troll looks rather uncomfortable as he listens to Raven. "Don't get hasty. I figured the little wanted poster would get me out of the car without telling you anything. Look. There's big money riding on this and I don't want my head on the block because I made it harder for someone else. I heard about the job from in a runner's V-bar. The V-Johnson was decked out in S-K wear. I'd give you the trix address but the V-bar moves from address to address and server to server. Looks that's the honest-to-Odin truth."
Thanee
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:22:00; Somewhere, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Sustained Spells - none

Raven sighs, apparantly not happy with the answer at all.

"Ok, once more. I want the full picture. And I want an answer to this question... if you had succeeded, how would you have continued then? How would you get back in touch with the J to get your reward? How would you have delivered us to them?"
phlapjack77
Ludo cracked one eye open, staring directly at the troll. Humming softly, he allowed the power to build in him enough so that he knew his shamanic mask would be visible.

"Please do not make us rearrange your brain. It is not pleasant at all. And your kids deserve better than to have an empty shell for a father."
Redjack

Since loading in the van it had all been a blur. This story can't be real, can it? Sitting on the pile of vests, he watched Raven interrogate the troll. The SMG sitting across his lap, he mused as he frowned; His humor gone. Wonder what color his brain matter is?

When Ludo cracks about the troll's brain, he puts thoughts to words. "Vegetable is probably not on the list of options. I'm not fond of being on the menu." Looking to Raven while twisting the SMG to level at the troll. "I feel he he's just not forthcoming with all the details. Should I start drilling or do you think your methods may yet bear fruit?"
ludomastro

"OK, OK, OK. Shit! This was supposed to be a milk run. Nobody said you guys would start with the death threats. Look, I'm not getting anything out of this. So, I want an assurance that if I come clean on what I know, we're through. I never look for you again, I don't take a job on you again, I walk away and call it done. That sound fair?"
Thanee
Sustained Spells - none

"Mister, the whole purpose of asking these questions is to save your life, not ours. But this is your last chance now, I'm growing impatient. So far, I have no reason to go looking for you. Just tell us the whole thing, and we are good, as far as I'm concerned. If you stay out of this, it's better for you for sure."
ludomastro

"Ok, good. Look here." The troll slides an AR wanted poster into the van's space. It is virtually identical to the previous one. But, only in graphics. The text shows a physical address for a club down in the warehouse district. "We went there. Pretty much everyone who collects bounties and everyone who is behind on cash now. Some suit - looked like SK - was there saying that a rank amatuer team would get a job at the mall and that if we could bring you in we would net some series 'yen on the deal. A bonus in SK script or a discount if we wanted it in cold hard cash. But, who wants cash, right? Am I right? Yeah, um, anyway, that's what I know."

He slumps as if beaten. "Oh yeah, carry you. That's what the stun gas was for. I figured I could gas you and then load you up one by one into my van."
Thanee
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:23:00; Somewhere, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Sustained Spells - none

"Alright, so this is the address where you were going to deliver us then? Well, what do you say..." Raven says to her team-mates. "Should we show up there or rather not?"
phlapjack77

"In my tribe, a valuable tactic was to pretend to be captured, and to spring a trap on the would-be captors..."

Ludo looked meaningfully at the troll for a few moments, then swung his attention to his partners.

"But I am not wise in these ways of warfare. I will defer to your better judgements in this matter."
ludomastro

"Oh, hell, no! I'm not helping out with this kind of crazy. I've got a rep to uphold. You've got your information, I want out at the next corner. You want to dress Squanto up over here like a hunter, be my guest. I want no part of it."
Thanee
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:23:20; Somewhere, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Sustained Spells - none

"Ok, even though you lied several times, I will keep my word. You can go now. But remember this... stay out of this whole affair from now on!"

Raven's voice becomes very insistent as she speaks those last words, and her face takes on some raven-like features for a moment, before everything goes back to normal as she just smiles.

Once the troll is out of the car, and they are driving off, Raven will turn to her team-mates.

"To be honest, I am quite willing to listen to what SK might have to offer... our J probably lied about pretty much everything... I don't buy this 'stolen' part for one second. They want us to get something from one of their rivals. Ok, not that this would be a problem in and of itself, but what I do consider a problem is, that our meeting there was known to other forces, and the J knew about that apparantly, why else would they have offered those stupid vests? It wouldn't surprise me, if our target belongs to SK, or whoever is behind that SK facade, anyways. Don't get me wrong, I do not normally turn on my employers, but this whole thing really doesn't seem right to me."
phlapjack77
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:23; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

"Squanto? ....

Raven, do you think it is wise to begin negotiations with our intended target? I believe that since they already know of our existence, it could do no real harm...
"
Redjack
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:23; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Flash sits by quietly listening, playing the part of the mostly silent enforcer. Retrieve a prototype from a small warehouse on Jugs Road on the outskirts of town converted to a manufacturing facility. Only a few guards and dogs. Retrieve it in next 24 hours and get 6k bonus if it stays out of the news. The old man appeared to be under the influence of an external resource, someone else knew about the meet before it occurred with enough time to get bounty hunters in place... and direct the blame at SK.

He looks at the troll. "Forget you saw us and we'll forget we saw you." He then calls out to Nick. "I think our guest would like to be dropped at the nearest stuffer shack."

Once the troll has been dropped off, Flash asks Nick to sweep and make sure the neither troll dropped, nor the vests contain, neither RFID tags nor any other sort of bug. When that is also completed and Raven says her piece he replies, "There is, of course, a third option: A third party." He pauses for a moment. "I've several working theories, but the first thing to get straight is that we took a job. We accepted payment." He looks at the team before continuing, "Lots of unknown and little that we do know. The vests make sense, but the rest makes little sense. Lets find whoever issued the contract and start unraveling this."
ludomastro
Somewhere in Tuscaloosa

A van pulls up in front of a Stuffer Shack ™ and a troll gets out. He limps over the counter and orders a quick meal. He looks confused. A passer-by asks, Hey, chum. You OK?

The troll looks over at him, obviously annoyed, What's the problem?! I'm just sitting here eating my lunch. I was ... I was ... Damn! What WAS I going to do this afternoon? Something about money. He continues mumbling to himself.
fistandantilus4.0
Nick chimes in from the front.
Job we were set up with was 24 hours. Sounds like a rush. Pretty damn fast rush. I'd say to keep us looking to close at it. I'm guessin' it's bogus, just enough to get us all in the room together. Could be wrong, but there's an easy enough way to find out. We got us two net cats that can look into this place, maybe hack their system and see how likely it is they actually have something like what the Johnson was talking about.

I don't like the idea of usin' ourselves as bait to walk into the lion's den though. If someone wants us and is payin' big bucks for us , makes no sense to hand deliver ourselves.

My question is, why the frag would anyone want to be paying such big bucks for someone to come after us? 40k dead, 60 alive?! Makes no sense. I can't think of a thing any of us have in common, 'sides being workin' types. So who'd put out that kinda pay day and pay us up front? It's obvious the J was in on it, since he got us the flak, and got the frag outta there ASAP. He was tryin' to work our comms too ,... although there was somethin' fishy even in that. Maybe runnin' a persona soft or somethin'?

MITNick keeps looking out the front, half talking to himself, half to Flash. The others, well, they might be in this together, but he doesn't know why yet, and forming bonds might be dangerous.
phlapjack77
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:24; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Ludo chuckled at Nick's response, a low rumble filling the inside of the van.

"Very well put, Nick. I also do not want to use myself as bait.

I still have a question, though. If the man we just met knew about the set-up, then either he wanted to have us captured, or he did not. If he wanted us captured, he could have easily done it in the restaurant, in the elevator, or in the meeting room with him. But if he did not want us captured, why did he not warn us beforehand?

I can only imagine that the vests were a very fortunate coincidence, or the attempted capture was perhaps some sort of trial-by-combat.
"
fistandantilus4.0
The thought gives MITNick pause.

Frag, I dunno. Maybe it's like one o' them reality shows they got down in L.A. or some drek. Maybe they got camera's followin' us. Or hey, maybe it's like that old movie they remade like five times, Rat Race. There's a bunch o' rich bastards bettin' on us. I mean, they all sound like ridiculous ideas, but so is the idea of payin' upwards o' sixty grand for any o' us. ... No offense.
phlapjack77
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:24; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Ludo looks around worriedly.

"Would they really do such a thing? Are there such people in this world?"
ludomastro
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:34; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

After some road time and a "donation" to the T-MAP retirement fund, the team arrive rather unscathed at the designated location.
phlapjack77

As the van came to a halt, Ludo could feel the change in the terrain through the floor that he sat on. He wasn't sure where this "Trips's Roadhouse" was, but he hoped it would be quiet enough for a moment's rest. Building the power in him, his humming once more summoned forth the spirit of the Earth. Even more fatigue settled on his shoulders from the summoning. Having asked the spirit to protect him and his companions, Ludo opened his eyes and addressed those around him.

"I am not sure where we are. Would it be possible to rest at this place? The recent excitement has left me in need of this."
fistandantilus4.0
MITNick looks to the big "Man" in the back and shrugs.
I guess, for just a bit. Shouldn't sit still for too long though. Never works out well in the vids. I'm thinkin' we should be goin' paranoia full effect 'til we get this straightened out.

How is everyone? Bullet wounds and all that? Flash you good? Full mags?

Thanee
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:34:00; Trip's Roadhouse, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Sustained Spells - none

"I'm fine, thanks. Could also need a bit of rest, but nothing major. So, let's see whether the other two have arrived in the meantime?"
Redjack

Flash watches the troll as they drop him off at the stuffer shack. As the team pulls away, he wonders..... Something is off.

He listens to the team's chatter while Nick drives, replaying each step through his head.

"Mags? Yea. Full"

"Listen. Something is bothering me. The old man was out of it. After the meet, he didn't even act like he knew where he was... And I swear as we were driving away that Troll was acting confused." He looks to the two mages. "Either of you do any mumbo-jumbo to make sure neither of them were bewitched?"
phlapjack77

"I had nothing to do with the bounty hunter's confusion. It is too bad we did not also question one of the others that attacked us, to see if his story would match."

Thanee
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:34:00; Trip's Roadhouse, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Sustained Spells - none

"I'm pretty sure he was confused when we left him, and bewitched, as you put it... but this time it was my doing, so I don't think we have to worry about that."
ludomastro
As the team sits in the van, a bike pulls up along side.
phlapjack77

Sitting cross-legged in the van, meditating quietly, Ludo felt the rumble of the approaching vehicle, felt the vibrations in the ground as the vehicle came to a halt. A two-wheeled machine, a "bike" of some kind, he thought. He slowly let his senses slip into the astral, floating through the van's side as he took a glance at the newcomers.
ludomastro

Ludo can feel familiar patterns in the rhythm of life. The essence of the biker is the team mates who left separately.
fistandantilus4.0
MITNick can't help but feel nervous, feeling exposed. He quickly scans for the team's comms, doing a virtual "head count" to make sure everyone is present and accounted for. It would be best to make sure they're all on the same page ... and still breathing.

Mmmm... paranoia. Crunchy, yet necessary.
phlapjack77

Ludo's eyes rolled back into place, the whites once again showing the distinctive gold irises.

"It seems our other two companions are just now arriving"
Redjack
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:35; Mitnicks van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Flash watches their arrival from the passenger seat, glad to that the team is back in full force. "So are we scoping the club or pulling recon for the run? Clock is ticking."
fistandantilus4.0
Sunday, May 3rd, 2071; 14:35; MY van, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Nick glances back at Flash.
Whole thing stinks. Who knows if there really is anything ta' run on. I say have a couple jander over to the club, make sure it's good, then we scope out this place, see if they're actually likely to have what the 'J' said he wanted. Coulda all just been an excuse to get us together. ...Fragger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012