Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the Crimson Sun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
fistandantilus4.0
Agis chuckels, shaking his head at the craziness of it all.
No, you drowned in a wine house friend. Take some time before you get up.

The nobleman turns to the dark skinned man with the funnel, looking up at him.
Not to be ungrateful of your timely assistance with a funnel sir, but, who are you? And did you by chance see which way our waitress went?
Ol' Scratch
Looking up and meeting Agis' eyes, the bard's blase expression is replaced with one of polite humbleness as he dips his head in a bow. "My apologies, sir," he begins with only the slightest pause while he contemplates whether he should lie to such a renowned telepath or not. Seeing no sense in testing his ring out just yet, he chooses the wiser course of action. "My name is Jace, and I do believe I saw the young woman make a haste exit a few moments ago." Another beat as his mind races, pondering whether to offer his services or simply wait and see where the conversation goes first. He decides on the latter.
fistandantilus4.0
The nobleman nods, rising quickly.

Huukena, I'll see if I can find our run away waitress. Stay with him, I'll be back.
Agis runs out the door, his boot steps clunking loudly on the wooden floor as the customers stare at the nobleman.
SinN
Kind of supsicious you busting in here right as Inm dying. Nothing personal, but its rare for someone in this world to offer aid to anyone in trouble. Whats your angle?

Aust eyes Jace suspiciously.

[ Spoiler ]
Ol' Scratch
Jace furrows his brow when Agis takes off after the waitress. Well, he would if he ever showed his true expressions. Instead he continues to stand there, arms folded, and watching.

At least until Agis is well out of earshot.

"Someone certainly wanted you dead, my friend. There was at least 5,000 ceramics worth of poison in your goblet, and that doesn't include whatever coinage was required for your assassin's services." The bard hunkers down, resting on his haunches. "Forgive me for not introducing myself fully," he continues, bowing his head once more. "My name is Jace and I am a but a simple bard new to the city. Some... friends... of mine told me you had recently come into some land and could benefit from the services of a man such as myself. Seeing as how I am in need of a patron, and you clearly could use someone of my skillset, perhaps a relationship is, indeed, fated betwixt us. What say you, sire?"
fistandantilus4.0
SinN - No apparent subterfuge

[ Spoiler ]
Ol' Scratch
[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Aust gets to his feet and looks to Huukena then to Jace.

Forgive us for being a little on edge stranger. You clearly saw what just took place, so Im sure you can understand. Perhaps we could speak in a more private manner? Come to my estate in one hour. Im sure you'll have little trouble finding it. It'll be the one the witch hunt will scavange over. He appears to have a sarcastic tone towards the end there.
Lady Door
Hukenna watches the exchange between the dark skinned stranger and Aust with something akin to bemusement. She looks up from where she kneels beside Aust, cocking her head to one side. Now, that's interesting. Here our good Lord Aust has just been poisoned and then you appear. A "simple bard new to the city" offering your humble services. So, what's the scam? You and your associates poison him and then show up just when he realizes how much he needs a bard? Good deal, if you can swing it.

She raises an eyebrow, daring him to refute her.
Ol' Scratch
Jace nods simply to lord Aust just before the elfess begins her accusations. He sits there calmy, letting her speak before offering his rebuttal.

"I must confess, that does sound like a marvelous scheme. I'll have to remember it in the future. But, while I cannot prove you wrong out of hand, I have only my humble word to console your worries. I was told lord Aust would be arriving here tonight which was the only reason I was here myself. I was hoping to meet him to make the offer, but then the two of you made your way back here. I could only assume for a meeting of some kind. So, with no other recourse, I planned to wait until it was over and approach you on your way out. Until I saw the young woman make her way back here and then make a unconventional egress to the exit moments later. When I heard you, milady, cry out... well... you clearly know what happened then."

Never once having raised his voice or shown any malice in his words, the bard takes a moment to catch his breath. "While it could very well be an elaborate scheme, I welcome you to verify the details for yourself if you so choose. Assuming that would ease your mind somewhat."
SinN
And who told you my name? More or less, how did you come about finding out about me?
Ol' Scratch
"A gentleman never reveals his sources, milord. At least not when still acting as a free agent. I know that will only prove to add more shadow than light to my claims, but my loyalty is absolute to those who earn it."
SinN
Remembering his time in the Night Runners, Aust concludes.

Fair enough. But I expect you to have more information than that when you arrive tonight.

Aust turns and respectfully bows his head to Huukena pointing to the way out.

After you, my cheif. He can barely contain his grin.
Lady Door
Rolling her eyes, Hukenna can barely resist the urge to smack the grinning elf in the back of his head. She looks at the dapper bard, contemplating.

"Well, Master Jace, it's not really my call either way what you do. Myself, not being the Lord here." Another pointed look at Aust. "You acquit yourself well, but I wouldn't expect less from a Bard." She pauses and then smiles. "Thank you for the use of your funnel." She indicates for Aust to go first, still smiling at the bard.

There is no way I'm keeping him at my back. Honestly, Aust, HOW are you still alive? ... Oh... wait.

SinN
Aust walks out into the winehouse, considering everyone before walking towards the exit.
Ol' Scratch
"May the rest of your day be less adventurous." He bows his head again, waiting for the two to leave.
SinN
Without looking at her, Aust speaks to Huukena as they make their exit.
Lets go back to the estate. We have some work to do.
Lady Door
The situation comes to a standstill for a brief moment, as both Hukenna and Jace wait for each other to leave. Finally, Hukenna slides past, facing him. She simply nods her head.

"May you walk shaded paths."

Outside, Hukenna turns to Aust. "You NEVER turn your back on a bard, Fancy Pants. NEVER." She sighs, almost throwing her hands up in frustration. "Honestly, it's like you weren't even a Night Runner.
Ol' Scratch
Jace just smiles to himself as the contest of wills commence. Emerging victorious, the smile almost turns into a gentle laugh after they leave. "Good to know," he mysteriously quips to himself.

After the two vacate the room, the bard approaches the table once more and hefts up the goblet. He swishes it around a bit, then pulls out a few of his tools, trying to siphon out whatever poison remains therein. He also takes a moment to check the other mugs in order to see just how precise a strike this was.

[ Spoiler ]

When he's done, Jace casually walks back out to the main room and drops a few coins on his table before finishing off his mug. Exiting the establishment, he breathes in deeply of the night air and proceeds to make haste to Aust's manner house, taking whatever short cuts he can over rooftops and other less-than-ordinary paths.
fistandantilus4.0
Golden Inix - Jace
There's still a decent amount of poison in the goblet , although it's been diluted by the wine. Even if it won't hit with its full potency, it can still be quite effective.

Taking the "side" streets as quickly as possible, the bard is quickly clear of Tyr and on the open plains, running out into the desert. The Free Years have been hard on Tyr, and he's clear of the scrub around the city-state all too soon.

There are no guards present around the manor house or estate grounds, making the approach easy. by the way people are takign the time to look busy however, it appears the elves did beat him there.
Ol' Scratch
[ Spoiler ]

Slowly upon his approach in an effort to regain his normal breathing, Jace approaches the nearest 'guard' of the villa. "Fortunes," he begins, offering a polite elven greeting. "Your master requested my presence this evening. Would you be so kind as to announce my arrival? The name is Jace."
Lady Door
Meanwhile, back at the ranch... err, manor house...

Hukenna wanders the grounds outside, shaking her head sadly at the state of the grounds. Going to cost a fortune to put in the kind of irrigation needed. She sighs.

More pressing though, she finds herself wondering at the assassination attempt on Aust. Could it be connected to the deaths? More likely, could it be connected to the Night Runners? Aust... if only the damnable list wasn't so long...
fistandantilus4.0
The Estate - Jace
The bedraggled looking half-elf looks at Jace, then jerks a thumg towards the House. The Lord's inside.Uhh... go right in...?
The man walks off wit ha confused look.
[ Spoiler ]
Ol' Scratch
"Gratitude."

Jace walks into the manor proper and... knocks on the door? "I see he needs even more help than I was lead to believe. Fascinating."
SinN
Aust walks outside to join her after getting out of his "noble clothes" as he calls them, and into a normal brown tunic, and slacks, with a pair of plain boots to go with it. He notices the concern on Huukena's face.

Is there something wrong?
Lady Door
Hukenna looks at him like he just said that kank was a delicacy. "How about the fact that you DIED this afternoon? Someone tried to kill you, Aust... and you're wondering what's wrong?! Honestly, has the sun finally gotten to you?"
SinN
Aust crosses his arms.

But Im alive Huukena. You forget I was in a clan of assassons. My life was constantly in danger. Its not the first time, and it certainly wont be the last. I can only hope you'll be around to save my arse again. He says with a grin.

He looks around the feild. So depressing. Its like no matter what I do, I could never get it to flourish. Even with Agis's aid, these feilds just would grow. Luckily the wells havent run dry, but its never enough. I was feelin pretty spread thin too, not just my lands I was working on but Urgos too. Hes a great help, but lacks the mental capacity to take in all the information neccessary. He mostly sticks to plowing, if he doesnt get distracted by the critters that get on our lands. He chuckles for a second at the thought. We'll got through whatever I got in the house to try to see whats worth the most coin to sell, so that we can get this land nice and lush. He looks to Huukena. Ive got a feeling that with you here, things will be different this time around. All the workers have been buzzing about how youre gonna be the one to save these feilds. And Im inclined to agree with them.

What are you saying? Youre just rambling now. And probably making her uncomfortable.

Uh.....What I mean to say is, well....Im glad your back.

Smooth.

Aust, not standing far from the house, hears a knocking.

I think our friend from the wine house is here.
Lady Door
Glad to have a sudden interruption to the suddenly awkward exchange of feelings, Hukenna nods and hurries toward the house.

"Should probably hurry. Who knows what that bard will do if given a moment alone in the house."

SinN
Aust walks to the front door to greet Jace.

Come in, Jace was it?
Ol' Scratch
"You honor me with your memory, milord," Jace begins, bowing his head politely before taking the invitation to enter. His eyes casually case the manor house. If he's shocked by the shoddy condition and lack of riches, he never lets it show.

"I see you have recovered quite quickly. I didn't have the opportunity to ask your... consort?... her name," he again nods, this time in Hukenna's direction and offers an equally polite smile as his attention clearly shifts to her, "but I applaud you on the caliber of your healing talents. The spirits to which you revere are fortunate to have you spreading their good will."
Lady Door
Hukenna's eyes flare at the mention of "consort" but her mouth smiles. "No, Master Thief, not a consort. A friend. I am Hukenna, Elemental Singer of the Jer'idai. Well met." She dips her head slightly but her eyes remain on his. "I thank you for you appreciation of the spirits around us. Too many fail to understand just how often they interact with each of us. How often we find ourselves in need of their services."
Ol' Scratch
Jace touches his hand to his heart at the cleric's words. If he's feigning the hurt in his darkened eyes, he must be a brilliant thespian. "Thief? Lady Hukenna, you wound me deeply. Though I suppose it is only fair that you return my grievous mistake with one of your own. My deepest apologies for my earlier assumption. No insult was intended, I assure you." His lips curl into a polite half-smile, but his eyes lack any sign of sincerity or the deep wounds he claimed to be feeling only a moment ago.

That said, the bard's attention returns to Aust. "I believe you wished to go into more detail about our potential arrangement, milord?"
Lady Door
Hukenna's lips curve into a derisive smile, but her words are pleasant enough. "My apologies as well, Master... Jace, was it? It does pain one to be called something you're not, doesn't it? She turns her gaze to Aust. "I'll wait for you to finish your negotiations with your new ... companion, my Lord. She bows her head and steps back, stopping as if in sudden thought. "Oh, and Aust, I wouldn't eat or drink anything for the next little while." Her gaze shifts to Jace just slightly. "Better safe then sorry."

Jace's demeanor may be one of studied indifference, Hukenna's on the other hand is one of refined suspicion. She eyes him coolly for a moment and then leaves the room.
SinN
Aust grins then sighs as Huukena bows out of the room.

Though her form of diplomacy is sometimes regretful, I don't beg her pardon. She's right in her suspicion of you. Before we talk negotiations, I need to know I can trust you. I don't believe you had much to do with what happened at the winehouse, and you have my thanks for your part in remedying the situation. But it still doesn't awnser the question of how you came to the conclusion that speaking to me was a good plan. What I want to know Jace, is who sent you to me? And keep in mind that we may have the same allies and enemies. You do this and I may include ypu in the bussiness Master Agis of house Asticles was speaking to us about.
Ol' Scratch
Jace stands quietly with his hands folded behind his back, emphasizing his athletic posture while simultaneously offering a humbled demeanor. His eyes watch Hukenna as she wanders off, but his attention is otherwise fully upon Aust's words. Once the cleric is a comfortable distance away, the bard resumes eye contact with the lord of the manor before replying.

"As I mentioned previously, milord, revealing my sources would betray my professional confidence. I'm sure you can appreciate the importance of loyalty, especially in my line of work. While I regretably cannot give you the information you seek, I can promise that -- should you choose to be my patron -- any and all intelligence or business opportunities that I come across while in your employ will be yours for the asking. T'is simply the way of the world in which we live, sire, though I'm sure I don't need to remind such a well-traveled man of such obvious facts.

"As to your offer, I must confess that I care little for politics of state on my own, and the business between you and lord Agis would only gain my interest should you so desire it as my lord and master. As would anything else you deemed worthy of my skills or notice.

"I realize this does little to ease your mind as to my intentions, but I'm afraid my hands are tied. If I were to betray my sources, how could you possibly trust me not to do the same to you? And should my sources learn of such betrayal, my reputation and perhaps even my career would be in jeopardy. I can, however, reveal that my sources told me little more than that you were newly landed and that you could benefit from someone of my talents. Judging by the look of your estate -- and no insult is intended, I assure you -- I can only assume the information was correct. With me at your side, you and your estate will flourish. This I can all but guarantee. And consider this: If my intent were to end your life, why would I be standing so very humbly before you as I do now, with nary a guard in sight? Do I really look to be the type to play such childish games?

"That said, if you have no need of me or feel you will be unable to trust me because of these facts, I will completely understand. Should that come to be, I will make haste back to the city proper and never bother you and yours again. Unless, of course, my next patron should take notice of you. Based upon what I witnessed at the wine house, that does seem to be a very real possibility, too. T'would be most unfortunate, would it not?

"In the end, there seems to be little choice, really. Secure me as a well-honed, precision weapon in your personal arsenal and profit greatly from everything I can offer you, or risk one of your enemies doing the same. I mean this as no threat -- I'm completely indifferent to the affairs of the region, and no malice exists in my heart. I merely offer up the choices at your disposal. The decision is yours and yours alone, though I trust you'll choose wisely."

With that, Jace closes his eyes and lowers his head submissively as he awaits Aust's response.
SinN
Aust stands still for a moment then speaks.

I'm impressed. The speech was well thought out and even better said. Very well, you've captured my interest Jace. Ill be you're patron. But don't be shocked if there are a few sets of eyes on you. I've got powerful enemies and just as many powerful friends.
Ol' Scratch
"I wouldn't be very good at my job if I wasn't already aware of that, milord." Jace smiles and, for the first time since meeting him, it actually seems sincere.

"Now that we've come to an accord, may I be so bold as to ask where I will be allowed to rest and set up my things? Preferably a larger area with good ventilation for my laboratory. Perhaps with a northerly view. Anything will do, of course.

"Also, while I was waiting for your arrival at the winehouse, I came upon what I firmly believe to be a genuine business opportunity that will not only offer the chance to add a few coins to your coffers, but get you out of town for a short while. Which, to be absolutely honest, is the best course of action you could take until we learn more about the people responsible for your assassination attempt. If your interest is piqued, I can of course go into more detail.

"What say you, milord?"
SinN
Perhaps,allow me to call Huukena back in here then you may go on with what you know of this bussiness oppurtunity.

Aust walks to the edge of the room where Huukena exited.

Huukena? Can you come back in here? I'd like your input for this next discussion.

Aust walks back to Jace and sits across from him.

Oh and you can take whatever room you'd like. Although if you're going to be living here you will be expected to do your part in the field. Just so I'm clear.
Ol' Scratch
Jace continues to stand with his hands folded behind his back, though he has taken a much more casual stance. When Aust returns and mentions the conditions of his stay, a first confused then somewhat grave look appears on the Gulgan's face.

"Forgive me, milord, but it seems I failed to make the nature of our relationship clear." His tone is much more confident and far less subservient than it was but a moment ago, perhaps even bordering on the aggressive. "While the services I provide are many, I'm afraid manual labor does not fall within that jurisdiction. Ours is a relationship more closely related to business partners than it is to master and slave. I will do whatever is within my power to bring you fortune, security, and information through the myriad means at my disposal, and in exchange you will be expected to provide me with the resources I require to see that happen as well as supplying me with the comforts to which I am accustomed... to the best of your ability, of course.

"To put it succinctly, I am neither a slave nor an indentured servant, nor will I allow myself to be treated as one. Your will shall dictate my actions in many ways, but this is not one of them. Hence being my patron, and not my master."

Having said that, the severity that was in his voice is now tempered. He continues, but in a much less confrontational manner and with a much more tranquil expression upon his face.

"Please forgive me again, milord. I understand that you are new to such things, so I will not take your assumption as one of deliberate insult or an attempt to belittle my talents. In turn, I pray that you will accept apologies for my tone. But while the manner in which I spoke is unacceptable, the words are nonetheless true. If you wish to break the verbal agreement we made a moment ago, I will again understand completely."

In fact, the final few words of his speech transition into the more melodic pacing with which the bard normally speaks. His eyes reveal why as he smiles at Hukenna's impending approach, bowing his head politely at the cleric.
SinN
Aust does not move from his spot.

You misunderstand my meaning. I do not own slaves, nor will I ever. Everyone who lives on this land,, works on this land. Including myself, Lord Urgos, and Lady Huukena when she arrives in Tyr. I do not wish to break our agreement. I'm actually looking forward to it. But if you can't abide by the one rule that I'm not even excused from, then I'm afraid you must find somewhere else to live. I don't think of myself as your master. And that detail won't change. You did speak earlier of making my lands flush. Here's your chance to prove it. A few hours a day certainly won't kill you, and perhaps you may enjoy the feeling of a days work. The choice is yours Jace.
Ol' Scratch
"I understand." He pauses for a brief moment, clearly deliberating his options... or at least appearing to out of simple courtesy. "It was a pleasure meeting you, Lord Aust and Lady Hukenna, and I thank you for your time. I pray that when next we meet, it is under equally pleasant circumstances."

With his hands still folded behind himself, the artist offers a final bow. Without further ado, he turns to leave and prepares himself for the run back to the city proper.
Lady Door
Hukenna's eyes dart back and forth between the two men, putting the last few lines in context.

"Master Jace, please... if I could persuade you to stay for just a moment? Allow me to have a few words with Lord Aust and I believe I can help with this misunderstanding. She smiles and gestures towards the sitting room.

Hukenna continues in a de sotto voice to Aust, "What are you doing? Are you TRYING to antagonize the Bard?! Listen, those that work here do so because its their only way of repaying you for your generosity in allowing them to live here. Urgos works the land because he doesn't have anything to hit at the moment. I work the land because I can't stand to watch the land die. That's it. You work the land because... well, I have no idea why. As a patron, your job is to let him do his job. Which means giving him his... space and standing back. Trying to put a bard to work in the fields is like ... well, trying to put an elf in Templar robes. It's ALWAYS a bad idea. She stops exasperated. "Oh, and if you want people to stop being all "Lord this" and "Lord that" then stop. acting. like. one. For the love of Athas, you're turning into Agis.

She backs up and gives him the "So? Fix it, already." look.
Ol' Scratch
Jace pauses and looks over his shoulder curiously before turning back around. He gives a thoughtful look, then bows his head once again. "As you wish, Lady Hukenna." He offers a polite smile before accepting the unspoken invitation to the sitting room.
SinN
Now you want him around? Would you please make up your mind?

Aust sighs and turns back to Jace.

Very well, your skills had better be extrordinairy. Tell us about the job.
Ol' Scratch
"Behold!" the bard begins, the entertainer in him coming to the forefront. With a flourish, a single steel dagger of exquisite craftsmanship slips free from his sleeve only to be caught in midair with an equal display of style and panache. Balancing the tip of the knife at the end of his finger, he continues. "A blade of the purest steel, its heart cut from the fabled mines of Tyr herself -- mines that, as you well know, have been inactive for some time now. With the war raging between her and her sister state to the north, the value of such a weapon has reached unheard of peaks."

As the story proceeds, Jace twirls the dagger with practiced ease between his fingers. "As it so happens, I met a man this very evening who was part of a shipment that was looking to profit from the war. Unfortunately the caravan he was guarding met with disaster when a fel beast -- a so-ut -- emerged from the sands and attacked, leaving their transport and most of its escort in ruin! Through great trial and tribulation, the man managed to make his way back to lady Tyr. Once he recovered from his ordeal, he began to seek out others to return to the site of the attack and attempt to recover the very type of steel weapons I now hold. Unfortunately, being not only a half-elf but also a stranger to the city, he was met with little more than skepticism and annoyance before he could even get to the brunt of his story.

"And this is where I stepped into the picture. At first I was as skeptical as you clearly are, milord. I am a very good judge of character, however, and while it was clear that he was peppering his story in an attempt to make it sound less dangerous than it truly was, I believe the heart of it is very much true. There truly is a large transport full of weapons such as this one sinking beneath the sands. If we were to gather some of your men, secure a wagon of our own, and return to the site prepared for battle, I have every confidence the payout would be well worth the effort."

As his retelling of the story concludes, the Gulgan spins the blade one last time before presenting it to Aust for inspection.

"In anticipation of your most generous offer to be my patron, I had the insight to set up a meeting betwixt you and the survivor at sunrise. It is, of course, entirely up to you if you wish to meet with him. But seeing as how even the smallest hint of coin would be more than welcome for your estate, it is of my opinion that the risk is well worth the potential profit to be had. Besides, it will get you out of the city for a short while, allowing us more time to puzzle out who was behind your attack at the winehouse."
SinN
Aust considers this a moment and turns to Huukena.

Could be the coin we need..
Lady Door
For a moment after the bard's impressive speech, Hukenna stares open-mouthed. "Where in the Grey did this guy come from?! Realizing she's still staring, Hukenna clears her throat and adopts her usual "I-could-care-less" expression.

She nods towards Aust. "Could be. Could also be a huge death trap. I'm leaning towards death trap. Hukenna looks over at Jace for a long moment, considering. She seems to come to a decision and turns back towards Aust. "However, there's nothing to be lost from meeting with this "survivor"... unless, of course someone tries to to kill you again." She smiles sweetly.
SinN
Aust smiles back at her.

The only person who's ever going to end me will be you Huukena. For that, I fear no man.

He quickly turns to Jace.

Very well Jace. We'll meet with your contact. Is there anything else you like to add?
Ol' Scratch
Jace catches Hukenna's look, but is gentlemanly enough not to bring attention to it. "As I said, I share your skepticism to a degree. But as I also said, I think the risk is worth the potential reward. If nothing else, it's well worth taking the time to meet with him yourself so you, too, can judge the veracity of his words."

With Aust's reluctance to accept the dagger, the troubadour tucks it securely into his sleeve.

"No," he continues in response to the lord of the manor, "I believe that covers everything for now. I must admit, however, that while I am capable of keeping pace with your people for short periods, my fortitude is nowhere near as legendary. If I may be so bold, I shall take my leave of you two and attempt to find a suitable location to lay my head. Unless, of course, there is anything else either of you require of me?" While speaking, the bard took to his feet and straightened out his clothing in anticipation of his rest.
SinN
Aust shakes his head.

No, no. You may go Jace. We'll see you in the morning.

Aust rubs his forehead and speaks outloud to Huukena as Jace leaves the room.

What now?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012