Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the Crimson Sun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
fistandantilus4.0
Urgos nods quickly and Jace can't help but grin at the possibilities before schooling himself.

Before long Urgos has the rampager laid out in interesting poses as Drago skillfully begins skinning the beast. It's a slow start but once the experienced veteran has a better grasp of how the beast goes together and the amount of force necessary to actually remove the armored hide from it he makes good progress. Jace doesn't get nearly as filthy as the half-elf who is up to his elbows in rampager but does manage to carefully gather the venom and acid sacks and begins working on a way to preserve their contents.

Within an hour a veritable cloud of kestrels has gathered over head. Huukenna comes down from her perch.

We shouldn't linger much longer. This is a feast out here and only that beast kept the other beasts at bay. She leans in closer and lowers her voice, continuing in elvish. I know we expected some sort of trap and thankfully didn't get one from Drago. But who ever was shipping all of this north ... Aust there's a dozen bodies here, maybe more. They meant for it to arrive and it's heading north well off the main roads. I think we can assume someone was sending metal tools and weapons to Urik. Why I can think of probably hundreds of reasons someone would want those, I have to think it came from a noble house. A merchant caravan wouldn't have to hide. They would just put it in with everything else. Why else would they take the risk of going way out here?

Jace joins them a moment later, with apparently excellent hearing.
Apologies my lord I couldn't help but overhear. Huukenna eyes him suspiciously. I believe she is probably right. This is all very clandestine. The combination of tools and weapons does suggest some sort of nobility, someone with interests and an expectation to bear arms. Otherwise it would be weapons or tools, not both. Urik started the war with Tyr over a lack of tools to ply in their obsidian mines after all. This route is quite clandestine and none of these bodies, save the raiders, bear any matching markings. Not even mercenary badges or marks. Further, this is quite a ways from any of the roads, as was pointed out. So what were the raiders doing out here?
Huukenna reluctantly nods in agreement.
SinN
Aust nods with Hukenna as he listens. Whispering in elvish.

This was not doubt supposed to be delivered with the upmost discretion in regard. Perhaps the raiders attacked the caravan and everyone was ambushed by the rampager? There's just too many coincidences here.
Maybe Drago knows who he was working for? Once we figure out how to get this back to the estate, I say we see if we what information we can get from him. Also, Jace, you can keep your ear to the ground while were looking to smelt and sell
the steel. At any rate, I would like very much to follow your lead, Hukenna, and leave this place as soon as possible. Jace, how soon can we be off? What is left to be done?
fistandantilus4.0
Jace glances around.
There's still a lot of steel to be gathered. We have all of the larger pieces of course, but they've turned their efforts to skinning the beast. If you want to get as much as we can, perhaps another fifteen minutes? We've loaded most of the bag Urgos carried, with the parts from the beast mostly included. He may have to shoulder some.

Huukenna nods. As much as I dislike it I'd say we return the way we came. At least then we will know the terrain and where water is. We can edge around it a little, not follow exactly the same path in case anyone followed our trail.
SinN
Agreed. Lets gather as much as possible. Be sure to pack the steel away so that it isn't showing. We don't want to advertise our finds here. We don't have a moment to lose, so lets get to gathering.

Aust begins to pick up as many pieces of steel as he can and packing them away until they cant fit any more in their bags. Once the party is ready to move, they begin their journey back to Tyr. Aust follows Hukennas advice and sticks close to the
route they took, skirting around the outskirts of it. At least this way, they will have water at the oasis they passed on the way there.
fistandantilus4.0
The return to the oasis is unexpectedly uneventful. The groups manages to do little more than collapse from the day while still managing to set a watch. While there is no sign of the pterran druid they met before the pool of water and cool grass is there when they arrive.

Camp is set and made, all settling in for the night. Aust notes Jace keeping a careful eye on Drago although the veteran seems just as exhausted as the rest of them, although perhaps more nervous.
SinN
Aust shares Jaces suspicion as he also keeps a careful eye. But he is also watching Jace. While his new companion has proven very useful and valuable to his cause, he will need more time to prove that he is trustworthy.

Shall we sleep in shifts? Aust suggests as everyone begins to relax from the days events.
fistandantilus4.0
The watch is split and the night passes without event. Rising in the morning before the heat of the sun the group packs quickly and quietly, each determined to reach the relative safety of the city. Now they have their treasure, they only have to worry about keeping it long enough to return home and make some honest coin off it.

They aren't long for the road before Huukenna moves back to Aust and the rest of the group from her scouting.

We aren't alone out here. I saw some tracks in the distance. A large group, probably passed us in the night coming from the north. I can't be sure but I'd guess they came from way of the wagon, probably followed our tracks. It's not like we can hide Urgos' trail. They may have kept moving in the night. That's dangerous for a small group like ours but it looked like a large group, large enough most predators wouldn't bother. It may be nothing but we should consider the possibility they were looking for the same thing we were, just coming from the north.
SinN
He takes a deep breath, and lets out a sigh.

Alright, we need to change our course without taking too much of a detour.

He rubs his chin thinking of how best to get everything back safely.

Lets pack all the metal away in certain packs, and all of the rampager in another. Urgos and I will continue this course with the rampager parts. You, Jace, and Dargo take another route not far from here but better concealed. The two of us with
beast skins and what have you is easier to explain should we come across anyone asking questions. The lot of you get this steel back to the estate,discreetly, and wait for me there. Any objections?

fistandantilus4.0
There's a good amount of chin scratching as everyone considers.
I would say there is around forty pounds of steel and iron, but between the three of us we should be able to manage. Perhaps if we wrap the sharper pieces in the tent tarps inside the packs so they won't puncture?

Dargo nods in agreement and begins taking out gear, working out the details of how to divide everything. Huukenna looks concerned, mostly with her traveling companions.

Are you sure you two city dwellers will be alright out here? she asks skeptically.
SinN
You're right, we cant hide Urgos's tracks. It'll be easier to just let them come across two weary travlers on their way to Tyr instead of five treasure hunters fresh off a mark of possible stolen goods.

Aust notes her concern.

We'll be alright. I wasn't always a city elf, remember? Besides, Ill have Urgos with me. If anything gives us trouble, he can just smash it.

He hands Hukenna his longsword.

Here, take this. Having any kind of metal might be hard to explain. And if for whatever reason you need to bribe a guard to get inside the city without asking questions, offer it up.

He looks at Dargo and Jace through the corner of his eye. He leans in closer to Hukenna and whispers in Elvish:

Please be careful. I know I'm asking a lot of you here. If it looks like either of them is going to turn on you and you are unable to take them yourself, just get out of there. Don't worry about the metal, just leave and find me.
Sure, we need this coin. But I don't want you getting hurt over it. Okay?
fistandantilus4.0
Huukenna masks it well but it's clear the gesture is profound to her. Not only is he trusting her with the most valuable item he owns, but he's giving her the best weapon he carries before setting out into the desert. She regards him for a long moment then nods soberly.

We'll see you in Tyr. The estate seems like it would be the safest place. We might take an extra day or two. But hey if it's longer than that ... come looking. I don't want to end up captured by some mercenary group bound for Urik.

If things get real bad though, I'll head out into the desert where they won't find me. If things get real bad...
she lowers her voice ... head to Desvrendi's valley. But only if you can't go back to the estate. And don't let yourself be followed. She grimaces at stating the obvious but finally simply nods.

With that the groups separate, Jace giving his patron a salute before setting off into the desert.

The burning sun seems to take forever to finally set. Urgos and Aust travel on into the evening for a time avoiding the worst of the sun's temperature. The endless dunes offer little in the way of landmarks but the stars are enough for a once-tribal elf like Aust to guide off. Being out in the deep desert just the two of them has a way of sending him back to very different times. The desert at night has always been an enchanting place with a song all it's own. The endless track of dunes make it easy to get lost in old memories. His new tribe may be very very different, but at least Urgos can keep up the pace.

Eventually making camp the two take short shifts of sleep, rising before the sun mostly exhausted but driven by necessity. Heading back on their path while twilight rises to dawn and they still have a few stars to guide them they continue on their way, skirting closer to the road, the opposite direction of Huukenna's band.

Jogging for hours as it's impossible for Urgos to keep a proper run through the deep sand it's very easy for Aust to fall into the old songs and ways of the tribe, running, being free, letting his speed take him away from the dangers of the wastes. Somewhere into his run, still before midday he's taken from his almost reverie by the sounds of shouts coming from over a nearby dune. Male and female voices can be heard, perhaps half a dozen or more and the shriek of kanks.
SinN
Aust slows his pace to a walk, and then finally a crawl as he gets up the dune. He whispers to Urgos to stay put at the bottom of the dune. Better to be safe then assume a half giant can sneak quietly up a hill.

He manages to low crawl at the crest of the dune to get a better look. Allowing some of his old instincts to take over. Stealth, espionage, secrecy. These were his domains. His idols of worship. He focuses his vision on the group of individuals on the other
side.

Stealth check to remain unseen as he watches
Move Silently +7
Dex Mod +5
Roll- 14
Total 26

Spot Check for details on what he sees
Spot +4
Elf Trait +4
Wis Mod +1
Roll= 7
Total 16

fistandantilus4.0
Cresting the thirty foot dune but staying low along the ridge line Aust sees a not unfamiliar scene playing out beneath him. A group of seven are in the process of capturing a woman holding a small bundle in one arm. The group is centered around a medium sized enclosed wagon drawn by a quartet of kanks. Three others, human by the look and a dwarf ride kanks as they surround the woman in a ring. All of the band are warriors by their appearance, lightly armored because of the sun but carrying spears and a few bows and slings among them. Each has their hair cut except for a long double braid down their backs.

Roll Wisdom check for recognition +3 because they have had run ins before

The woman is trying to fend off the half-giant on foot in front of her who is approaching carefully, his armored arms holding a large weighted net. The woman fights with a long spear like she knows how to use it.
Spot Check success
Aust recognizes the woman from the slave pits where he and Urgos met. Her name is Lissan, a human gladiator from Tyr. She and Huukenna allied for a time in the pits before she and her partner Tachandraal, an elf were sold off to a master in Urik.

Over the shouts of the band carefully coordinating their hunt Lissan is yelling at them to keep their distance. Aust can also hear another voice, a man's yelling from the back of the wagon.
Lissan! RUN! Get Alishi away!

A slung rock catches Lissan in the back of the head, a glancing blow but enough to stun her as Aust quickly takes in the scene. The half-giant makes a well practiced throw, catching the gladiator in the net and dragging her up in one smooth motion. Another hunter grabs up her spear as Lissan is subdued. The bundle is left on the sand but even from his vantage on the dune he can hear a baby's cry.
SinN
The childs cries echo in his ears. Aust wants to act. He wants to free Lissan and her friends. People being shackled seems so... unnatural to him. People should not own people. Flash backs of Kalak's slave camps begin to flash in his mind.

This can not stand.

He waits for the slavers to be far enough away and cast invisibility on himself, just to be safe. He crosses over the dune and approaches the baby, slowly picking the child up into his arms, unsure if he's doing it right. He notes their direction of
travel and commits it and their tracks to memory. This was going to be a tough next couple of days.

He runs back over the dune to Urgos, taking the invisibility spell off.

Urgos, we need to hurry back to Tyr and get this child safely to the estate. Those men took Lissan, and I'm assuming this is her child. C'mon, lets run!

He immediately takes off in the direction of Tyr, wasting no time.
fistandantilus4.0
The group is large enough they will be easy to track, at least until the wind comes across the dunes. Perhaps unsurprisingly they are headed due west towards the road, Lissan and Tachandraal screaming at the slavers from the back of the slave wagon the whole way.

Urgos glares with murder in his otherwise gentle eyes when Aust tells him what happened. But true to form the half-giant responds to action and immediately starts running with Aust.
SinN
At this rate, this child will starve before I can get it to the city. I need to make a choice here. Aust slows his pace and allows Urgos to catch up to him.

Urgos, it is extremely important that this child is brought to safety as quickly as possible. Here's what were we're going to do; I am going to run faster. Much faster. You wont be able to keep up. So don't be afraid. You are going to
keep going the same direction, just you wont be as fast as me. Just keep going, and when it gets dark, make a camp and sleep. Then when you wake up, grab your bags and gear and then run back to the city. Go straight home, okay? Okay Urgos?

As he speaks, genuine concern and fear can be heard in his voice. In this world, this may very well be the last time he speaks to his friend.

Just stay on this route. Okay? I'm coming right back, and I can come get you. Just stay on this road.
fistandantilus4.0
Urgos huffs as he works to catch his breath, leaning over hands on his knees. He nods slowly as he looks at the dunes for the "road" but nods all the same. He may simply be to tired to argue.

Ok delfie. Back to the 'state. Yup ... be there ... just ... catch breath first...
SinN
Aust nods quickly.

Okay..

He begins his cadence. Before taking off on a dead sprint:

Do your best to follow my tracks! AND BE CAREFUL! He shouts as he picks up his pace and begins his full on elf-sprint across the sand, baby in tow. Not planning to stop until he reaches the city. Sleep be damned.

This child probably wont allow me to sleep anyway. Might as well keep moving. Perhaps the cadence of the run will lull it to sleep for most of the trip.
fistandantilus4.0
Aust runs like he hasn't in years, living in the Now like a true elf, like he hasn't since his enslavement. Desperate choices and the fragility of life and freedom in the wastes are what the elvish way of living In the Now is all about. Whatever tomorrow might bring he's made his choice and is already living it.

Running under the burning sun and into the freezing night he races across the Aluvial Sand Wastes. Having a righteous cause like saving the half-even child in his arms gives him purpose and resolute strength. Miles fly by in the dark night, predators left in his dust too slow to catch their easy meal. By the time the sun rises he is looking down at the gleaming Golden Tower of Tyr and the rainbow hued Ziggaraut he helped build not so long ago. Fifty or more miles through the course of one afternoon and night and now he is looking down at the Free City.

At least the infant is sound asleep.

Make three consitution checks. Elves receive a +4 for checks made for Runs.
SinN
Constitution Checks

First roll=17
Con +1
Elf on the run +4
Total= 22

Second roll= 8
Con +1
Elf on the run +4
Total= 13

Third roll= 16
Con +1
Elf on the run +4
Total= 21

Aust runs past all of the farms and client villages around the city and directly to his estate, taking no time to stop until he gets safely home, keeping an eye out for Hukenna and Jace the entire way.
fistandantilus4.0
By the time Aust reaches the estate it is nearing midday. The field hands and serfs have already gone in from the fields taking what refuge they can from the burning sun. It is reassuring to see new irrigation ditches dug and the fields plowed for planting. However by now the infant in his arms has already started crying and stopped again in a way that is in no way reassuring.
SinN
Aust gets inside as quickly as he can to shelter the half-elf infant from the sun. He immediately begins calling out for his steward.

Hanthros? Hanthros! Where are you? I need you now!

Aust absent-mindedly rocks the baby making his best attempt to comfort it, having no idea what he is doing. As Hanthros enters the room, he begins to dole out instructions.

Ah, good. Hanthros. Alright. This is going to sound so strange. But, I found a baby in the desert. Her name is Alishi. Her parents were captured. As soon as Hukenna gets here, were going to track them down and liberate them so that
they can be reunited with their, uh, child. In the mean time, I need you to acquire a nurse maid. This child hasn't eaten in what I can assume is at least a day so we need to hurry. Ill will stay here with the child and get a nursery set up. I know we
don't have anything on hand that's nursery like, but I will do the best I can with what we have. Go now! Do your best to be quick and discreet. I'm not sure if her parents were specific targets of someone in this city or not and I would like very much
to avoid any unwanted attention to this kid.

After sending Hanthros away to hire a nurse maiden, Aust begins to put together a suitable place for the child to sleep on the bottom floor where its the coolest, while they wait for him, Hukenna and hopefully Urgos to return.
fistandantilus4.0
Hanthros leaves in a hurry after looking at the infant in utter confusion. There's a moment of near terror as he recoils afraid Aust might hand him the strange, wriggling thing. After receiving his instructions however the man servant nods gratefully and exits quickly.

It's hours before Hanfros returns with a solid looking dwarven woman in tow. Raam'in by her dress she approaches quickly, setting down a satchel as she takes everything in. Clearly already briefed by Hanthros her attention goes directly to the child.

Looking Alishi over quickly and carefully she first gathers a few ointments and a cloth which she cools with water before respectfully but directly taking the child from Aust. There's some coaxing, cooing, and low singing in dwarven but soon enough she has the infant feeding, although Alishi is barely conscious.

You did right in calling for me. The midwife says after several minutes of coaxing. She is in distress. Too much heat and not enough food. I will keep her cool and help her to eat. I expect she will recover. She has elven blood which is ... thin. Not as sturdy as a dwarf you see, or even a human. But dwarf milk will help. Elf children are strong enough once they get their feet under them, but until then they are vulnerable. Some time now, rest, and food is what she needs.

Clearly she's done this before with males because the midwife gives Aust a look that says "you can leave."
SinN
Aust looks visibly relieved as he takes a moment to compose himself. Speaking more dignified and less frantic then he has been the last few hours;

Thank you. So much. Thank you for coming. If there is anything you need that we can provide to help you or make your stay more comfortable, please don't hesitate to ask either myself or my friend Hanthros. We will leave you to it
then. Thank you again. Before I go, I didn't get your name?
fistandantilus4.0
Sana, my lord. Go now, ... if you please ... the little one needs rest.

She cradles the baby, rocking her slowly in her arms as she slowly begins walking around the room.

Hanthros takes the cue, exiting the chamber and awaiting his lord.

My lord, you look like you have been through an ordeal. I ordered water and fruits brought in. You should eat and rest. Are you ... ahead of the others?

The man looks hesitant to ask, afraid of the answers he may receive. After all his master left almost a week ago seeking steel in the desert with friends, and returned alone with a baby.

SinN
Fast Forward past IM posts

Aust and company return home. He is relieved to see that everyone has made it. He steps down to the lower floor to check on Alishi and Sana.

Sana? Do you require anything? I hope Hanthros has been helpful, should you needed it?

After speaking with Sana, he walks back to the main floor and practically falls onto his chair to sit. He turns to Jace.

I trust that everything went well on your end then?
fistandantilus4.0
Sana quickly recounts for the elven lord the last couple of days and Alissi's condition. Generally well, the child is recovering from her dehydration in the desert well enough. Hanthros has already supplied her with the first two lists of required items she has provided, the room she child is resting in now looking more like a nursery. Coming from an elven tribe the layout is very foreign to him but there are enough common themes.

Jace takes the time to relax and get clean before rejoining the Lord in his parlor. Smoking a pipe and enjoying a glass of wine he looks relaxed although Aust can recognize the wheels turning behind the man's eyes now. The bard is no doubt already working out the best ways to fence the steel they recovered from the desert.

Oh my Lord it is a thrilling tale of danger, deception, intrigue and near disaster. I would ask only that you give me a day to collect the telling of it properly. In short however, yes everything went well enough. We managed to evade the mercenaries, even setting a trap or two for them. A small matter of irritating a nest of giant scorpions near their camp one night and leading a hunting pack of tigones their direction to pick off a few sentries. You priestess is quite resourceful in the desert. I daresay it suits her brand of ruthlessness better than the city.

Still I am grateful to be somewhere civilized again. A few days, I should be able to locate a few buyers. I would suggest spreading the wealth, so to speak. I can speak with the agents of a few noble houses. It would be more circumspect to trade the steel, made unidentifiable of course, to a few smaller houses in greater need. It would mean more barter if that is acceptable, rather than raw coin. But you will get more value that way. And more discretion of course.

As for the hide of the beast there are certain parties who may be interested in the hide, venom, and acids. The elven market would be one such place, as would a number of alchemists, armorers, even the rumored wizards now that they have come "out of hiding". Unless you intend it for some more... substantial armor for your body guard that is.
SinN
He rubs his hands together, attempting to think on the topic.

Alright. Speak to these agents and lets try to get as much out of this as we can. I do want coin, of course. Our estate is in desperate need of gardeners, and those who know how to grow on the land. Anything to get the ball rolling in
the right direction to get some green around here. As far as the venom and acid, we can sell that in the elven district. If there is enough hide to make an armor and sell we can do that. However, If not let us sell the hide. The mission here was to
make some gold. How long before we see anything from this?
fistandantilus4.0
Jace nods as Aust talks, mentally taking notes.
Haste costs, my Lord. If you can give me a week we should be able to manage a good price. For the steel we might want to consider your end goal. You want the fields producing, yes? Might I suggest with some of the lesser nobles, trading steel for grain, seed, tools and equipment?
I will talk with a few people I know skilled with the production of armor but I doubt making something for Urgos would leave much left for a sale. I'll focus my efforts in the monetary direction for you.

What of the slaves captured in the desert my lord?
SinN
Aust nods in agreement.

Hukenna and I will be leaving within a day to see if we can find them. Once they are found, we plan to liberate them and reunite them with their daughter. In the meantime, Alishi is my niece, sent to me from a far away, now
deceased relative as I am now her only living family. A precaution in case the Werriks stalkers made a mistake leaving her behind. And a good enough cover should she be here with me indefinitely.
He shudders at the thought of the
child losing her parents.

You should stay here, work out these deals for me and get things going. I would imagine we will all be busy for the next several weeks. Hanthros? Please would you send word to Lord Agis and inform him that I am going to be
out of town for the next little while, say about two weeks. Possibly more. And I would appreciate it very much if he were to keep an eye on this place. Cant loose it to the other nobles now that I've just only had the chance to do something
great with it.
fistandantilus4.0
Hanthros bows obediently. Of course my Lord. Your message will be conveyed.

Jace breathes in the tobacco slowly, letting the smoke out slowly.
If Huukenna is right, it would stand to reason the Stalkers abducted the couple to return them to the estate of the noble who owned them before their escape. As she tells it, that noble is a Urikite, correct? Would it be out of bounds to suggest perhaps we should let them return their quarry to the likely less guarded noble estate?
SinN
He nods.

Its a good thought. Perhaps we can make things easier by sneaking in instead of an all out attack, seeing how I'm not bringing an army. Thank the spirits you're here Jace. Your mind works quicker then poison in a wine house.

Aust takes a drink of his water skin.

Will you need anything from me before I depart?
fistandantilus4.0
Jace considers for a moment before answering.

Assuming you're alright with spending a little to get a little, we should be alright. There's few problems a little steel can't fix, one way or the other. Honeyed words and wine first of course.
SinN
I have faith in you. I'm sure you'll do fantastic and I look forward to seeing your progress upon our return.
Just let Hanthros know what is need so that he can keep track of our funds. I'll be down stairs awaiting Lady Hukenna. We'll need to plan our next move. You Ofcourse, are welcome to join us. A keen mind is always welcome at the planning table.

He makes his way to the cooler floor.
fistandantilus4.0
The rest of the day is spent with preparations for the next journey. Werrik's stalkers have at least a five day lead on them but going at a kank's pace at best while the two fleet elves can make that up quickly barring any interruptions.

Huukenna is up before dawn as are Hanthros and Urgos to see them off. The elven priestess says little as she shoulders her light pack, preparing for the run ahead. She does pass a small, beaded water skin between the three friends before they go. The water is sweeter and more refreshing than any pulled from a well. She says a blessing to the spirits before starting off at a trot.

Urgos grins and waves. Good hunt!

Hanthros looks as worried as ever of course but the wheels of thought of what must be done next to keep the estate moving are already rolling behind his eyes.
SinN
Aust places a hand on Hanthros arm.

If there are any troubles, call on Agis. He will help you. Keep the metal to ourselves though. Good luck, friend.

He pats Urgos on the back.

[coor=salmon]Be good. Don't give Hanthros, Jace, Or Senna any trouble okay?[/color] He says with a stern voice that quickly breaks into a smile. You've done wonderful. I'm quite proud of you. Now protect the houses. Especially
that baby. We'll be back soon.

He waves to everyone as he and Hukenna head out of the city.
fistandantilus4.0
Leaving the lands around Tyr in the early morning the pair runs past a number of merchant caravans camped outside the city waiting for the gates to open. Still miles from Tyr's walls these large camps no doubt intend to stop at various noble estates on their way to the city or meet allies along the way. Further out and well before the dark sun rises they see numerous client villages. Each of these small villages depends on the city-state for protection and a market to bring their goods to. Most specialize in one particular craft or another, trading with their neighbors, passing merchants, and the city-state its self.

The first days sees frequent encounters with merchants and travelers although most give a pair of elves wide berth. Elves don't have a sterling reputation at the best of times. Two alone, without the strength of a tribe suggest even more unusual circumstances. While another run across the dunes would shorten their path the dangers the sands hide have a greater chance for slowing them.

By mid-day the pair are resting at one of the now more scarce client villages, almost twenty miles from Tyr its self. While the keeper at the cantina looks at the pair of sweaty elves suspiciously he doesnt' refuse their coin when asked for a little water, maybe some juice , definitely some broy for Huukenna, and a lot of shade. Resting at a table beneath weathered patio roof Huukenna looks out over the village and road striking by it.

We used to stop at these villages, before the Jer Adai moved further north. They don't do a lot right here, but they know how to make a strong drink. We're making good time.

Do we want to risk stopping at Silver Spring? Those city lovers might know something of the Stalkers but I can't stand talking to them. I don't think I could look one of those otuuk fe in the eye without spitting in it. It's not right, a whole tribe sitting in one place, and selling water like it was theirs to sell!
SinN
Aust takes a drink before answering.

We need to get information to where the stalkers went. I understand your disposition, and certainly agree, but if there's a chance they know something we have to try. If it helps, we wont have to be there long. Just get what we need
from them, and then move on. Deal?
fistandantilus4.0
Huukenna shakes her head. No I'm serious, I'll kill 'em. I know their "fort" is on the road and it's the most likely place the Stalkers stopped. But I'll kill 'em. You wanna go, that's on you. I'll wait outside. There's no way I'm talking with them like I don't want to stab them in the eye. They're as bad as defilers. Liars and water stealers, all of 'em.

I'm not saying we couldn't use information but I just ... no. Nope. Not gonna do it, not going in there. You go right ahead. I'm fine with racing up the road, see if we can catch them, and if not, start asking around when we get to Urik. But you want to stop there, that's up to you.
SinN
He takes a moment to remind himself that he doesn't have to be a noble all the time.

He places a hand on hers.

You're right. Forgive me. I was only thinking about this purely from a logical sense and I didn't take how you would feel into consideration. We don't have to go there. Lets run ahead towards Urik and try to catch them. There's
probably better information there anyhow.
fistandantilus4.0
Huukenna nods looking a little relieved but still manages to hold onto her scowl for a while at the thought of the elven tribe at Silver Springs. Eventually she sits back to enjoy her broy.

We could consider looking for the Free, although they're a little deep in the desert. They have a bone to pick with the Stalkers too. Although really no way to say if they'd know anything useful. She lowers her voice speaking in elven There's also our veiled friends in Urik. They might know something useful.
SinN
Responding in whispered Elvish.

They were going to be my first stop actually. If anyone can point us in the right direction its them. We can talk to the Free if we need some extra bodies. But I'm hoping to get in and out without drawing too much attention to us.
As hard as it might be, we're going for Lasan and her mate. We need to prepare that we may not be able to save everyone. As much as I want to storm the place and free every slave, we need to be smart and take only what we came for.

He takes a generous gulp.

How far to Urik?
fistandantilus4.0
Huukenna shrugs Perhaps a week, perhaps less. The leagues aren't so many as the elf runs. The road is open and with the war quieted merchants should be traveling heavily. There shouldn't be many dangers on the road, except maybe the occasional bandits. Two elves at a run aren't a very good target for them. Our travel should be swift.
SinN
He agrees.

Yes the trip should be easy on the way there. We should be heading out soon, if you're feeling refreshed? I'm ready to leave whenever you are.

He finishes his drink and prepares to move. Eager to be on the move again. The feeling of the sand kicking up behind him, the breeze from their run hitting his face, moving across the dunes with little to no fear as to what is on the other side. He
missed this.
fistandantilus4.0
The run to Urik covers almost two hundred miles, most of it open caravan roads. While there is little law in the open desert the road its self is patrolled after a fashion by caravans of merchants, traders, and wanderers making their way from one city-state to the next. While each of these watches and guards against the other, and especially the constant threat of bandits, no one bothers with two elves on the run. Elves are worthy of suspicion at the best of time and where there's one there is usually more. Two fleet runners are most often eyed as possible scouts. As long as they keep to themselves and move on no one bothers them. Not worth the trouble of chasing down for waiting bandits they're allowed to run free and unaccosted. Along with Huukenna's knowledge of the wild desert and her ability to create pure, clean water the two of them are reaching Urik's open plains far sooner than they could have in the company of others.

Passing the ancient fort erected around the Silver Springs oasis the two run on as vigilant eyes with bows at the ready watch them and the steady stream of traffic entering the stronghold of the Silver Spring elves. Along the main road there are few other good watering holes although small villages do speckle the landscape. Each and every one has sturdy walls erected around it, protecting not the homes but the small wells that keep the people alive. Their first sign of Urik is the distant plume of smoke on the horizon. The Smoking Crown, Urik's famed volcano and the source of much of its wealth continuously guts hot, acrid smoke distant for fifty miles or more.

As they near Urik's farm and client villages more signs of the infamous King and his rule are apparent. Road markers begin appearing, each with the vigilant Lion of Urik at its head. Tyr may be near lawlessness but mighty Urik remains firmly in King Hamanu's grip. The roads are patrolled now by soldiers of the king or his nobles, as often as not mounted on crodlu, prompting Huukenna to move off the main road a bit. Within another day of first sighting the plume of the Smoking Crown the pair are fast approaching Urik's golden walls. The seat of their enemy during Tyr's recent war with Urik the city-state its self is even more imposing than Tyr.

So ... do we try to get in and find the Veil, or head out into the desert for the Free ? ... Or did you dream up something else entirely while we were running? Huukenna asks.
SinN
Lets get inside the city. I can begin looking for Veil members and start asking questions. No use running around to gather the free yet. Lasan and her mate were surely brought here.

He begins moving again, heading towards the walls surrounding the city of Urik.
fistandantilus4.0
Huukenna gives him a sideways glare. His name is Tchandral. Should probably remember who we're rescuing.

Do we have a story for getting into the city? Urik's strict, I doubt they'll just allow two elves in because we want them to.
SinN
In my defense, I've never formally met the man. And I'm terrible with names.

He stretches his back, keeping his muscles loose.

Weary travelers, looking to spend some coin on good wine and warm beds? Or we could be forthright and tell them we're interested in purchasing slaves?
fistandantilus4.0
Purchasing slaves as much as it turns my stomach might make a better story as long as we have the coin to back it. They're less likely to let in a pair of elves looking for wine. She says with a grin. Maybe we should stop as one of these villages and buy some clothes a little more like the locals wear. Not to try and appear as Urikites but at least not like Tyrians.
SinN
Good idea. Step one will be blending in as travelers and not ones from a warring nation. Then we'll head to the city and stick to our story, no matter how vile it is.
Aust begins to lead the way into one of the villages until they're able to buy some clothes, packing their traveling clothes away in their bags.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012