Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the Crimson Sun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Lady Door
Hukenna sighs and shakes her head. "I don't know, Aust. He makes a good point about you needing to get out of town. The timing is suspicious, of course. Your assassination attempt and then an offer to take you out of the city? If I was one of your enemies I would take this as the perfect moment to get control of your lands. If I were you, I'd contact Agis... see if he can loan out some of his own guard to keep an eye on this place. I'd suggest Urgos... but, if we're going up against a So-ut, we're going to want his muscle. Hukenna paces the room, thinking out loud.

"We need to know what is going on either way... so the best course of action will be to go to this meet, talk with the survivor... find out if his story holds water. You saw that steel blade. Jace got it from somewhere... and the markings on the hilt were Tyrian. You were right not to take it though. Who knows what manner of spells could be anchored to it. Hukenna glances out the window, watching the last rays of sunlight fade into darkness.

"I need to get some sleep. Think all of this over. I'm pretty much exhausted from today... as I'm sure you are too. I'll take the room across from our new guest. Better to stay between he and you for now, I think... and I'll be able to keep an eye and an ear out for him." She pauses before she leaves the room to look back at Aust. "Seriously, Aust. Try and get some sleep. Your body needs it." She leaves.
SinN
After she leaves the room Aust walks out his front door and takes a good look at what's outside.

I really should employ her as my advisor. But damn it all, she's right. I need rest. I hate resting. We're wasting time. I've got to figure something out. My mind is to alive to rest right now. Perhaps Ill go over some of that paperwork of costs and budgets and such till it slows a bit up there.

He goes back inside and breaks out all the boring paperwork he can muster. He reveiws his budget, cuts a few unneccessary expenses, and reveiws them again for good measure. And just for kicks, reveiws the budget one last time before he can no longer resist the urge to sleep. With that, Aust retires for the evening.
fistandantilus4.0
The morning sun brings the sound of field workers, already long at their toil. Only the foolish field over seer starts with the sun. Aust's secretary is out, observing the new field over seer, minding how his master's labors are directed. Within, the house wakes slowly, the few servants moving about, handling the tasks that are essential to the estate surviving, such as feeding the animals and preparing water rations from the well.
SinN
Aust, having gotten up early to work, becuase he was going to be out all day, he saw it fit to get his work in before he leaves. You can hardly tell him among the rest of the workers. Shirt off, and wearing slacks and his older pair of boots. He waits for Jace and Huukena to wake up before he goes to clean up.
Lady Door
Hukenna makes the long run into Tyr well before the sun dawns. The strangeness of the meet has her on edge, and more then a little paranoid. At least the Elven Market never sleeps. Perhaps someone there has heard of this Jace. Might not hurt to find out what I can about him before the meet. She adds a little speed to the run, leaving ground behind in great strides. If I'm lucky and I time it right, may even be able to see where this "survivor" comes from...

Once in Tyr Proper, Hukenna heads for the Elven Market.
Ol' Scratch
Jace spent a good hour exploring the manor. He finally makes his way into the basement, and his astonishment at the poor state of affairs reaches a pinnacle. Fortunately, just as he was about to head back up, he spotted a door way in the back. Moving in to investigate, he discovers it opens into a surprisingly cool and airy room. "Well, this will certainly do nicely."

He heads back into the basement proper and grabs a bag of grain to use as a pillow for now. Returning to his new sanctum, he drops it against one of the walls before assuming a lotus position in the middle of the room. He then reaches under his garments and pulls out a small stone amulet attached to a leather cord. He closes his eyes and concentrates for a moment as he feels the stone grow ice-cold in his grip, signaling its readiness. He spends a moment composing his message in his mind's eye before transmitting it.
    "Dearest mother, mission is falling into place. Contact established with principle target and position secured with secondary, though trust is still an issue."
A breeze of frigid air washes over the human when he quietly commands the stone to perform its sole function, confirming the message was received. Satisfied, he settles in for the night and sleeps as lightly as ever.

-----

Courtesy of an internal clock honed to perfection, Jace is up and preparing himself for the day* a full hour before dawn. He misses Hukenna's departure by a hair's breadth, an act he found quite curious in and of itself, but he certainly wasn't in any position to judge others this soon in a new relationship. Besides, they're elves -- he's never been quite able to fathom the way their minds work anyway.

Boredom -- and a hint of concern -- begins to set in as he awaits Aust's awakening. When he spots the sun breaking the horizon, he begins creating subtle yet jarring diversions to try and rouse his new patron. Unfortunately, it seems the bard misjudged where the elf was sleeping when he notices him approaching from elsehwere. He recovers quickly, however.

"Milord, we must make haste to town. Our meeting with the survivor was meant to be made at dawn. Perhaps you should leave ahead of me, and I'll catch up as quickly as I can. The meeting was to be at the braxat fountain in Shadow Square. Please, take this," he pulls the steel dagger from his sleeve and hands it to Aust. "The half-elf was expecting it to be returned. I believe Lady Hukenna has already left for town, though I'm unsure if she's aware of where the meeting was taking place."

*Preparing himself...
[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Aust declines the dagger.

Rrrriiiiiggghhhttt.

You hold onto that. You're coming with me. we'll meet up with Huukena afterwords.
Ol' Scratch
Jace tilts his head curiously, then returns the dagger to his sleeve yet again.

"Very well. Shall we?"
SinN
We shall.

Aust walks out the front door, and headed into town. Though walking in front of him, Aust keeps a careful eye on Jace.

Where in the spirits name did this guy come from?
Ol' Scratch
The urge to sigh grows deep within the bard's soul, but through a tremendous demonstration of the power of mind over matter, he retains a passive expression. "Time is of the essence, milord." With that, Jace slowly builds up to a run as he makes his way to Tyr, soon nearly matching the fabled pace of the elven desert runners.
fistandantilus4.0
Tyr - The Gate
Closed until dawn, the gates are opened with much complaining, and a few persuasive words from Jace. Although technically the gates should be opened for any of the nobility, this particular noble has less influence with the gate guards than most, having little coin to bribe them with.

Soon enough however, they find themselves watching as the gates of great Tyr are opened. As they roll open, they see the familiar form of a tall elven woman seemingly materializing out of shadow. The guards seem surprised, then on guard, then relaxing as she approaches. Apparently some elves are better received than others, for whatever reason.
Lady Door
Once inside the Elven Market, Hukenna is quickly reminded of why waiting until three in the morning to speak with an elf is a bad idea. After stopping the third drunken tribe elf from trying to "steal" her back to their own tribe, she finds sanctuary within the tent of a rug merchant. A few ceramics later, Hukenna manages to glean what little information the Market seems to know about the bard known as Jace. Frustrated, she returns to the city gates, hoping to catch Aust as he approaches.

The sun is well past risen by the time the duo approaches, Hukenna just beginning to fear she may have missed them entirely. She slips out of the shadows to join them.

"I was beginning to wonder if you two had changed your minds..."

Gather Information Roll
[ Spoiler ]

Ol' Scratch
"And miss the opportunity for intrigue and daring-do? Clearly you don't know me at all, milady." Jace offers a flirtatious grin before uncorking one of his waterskins and replenishing himself after the long run. "Please, follow me. I pray that we are not too late."

With that, Jace takes to a light jog as he leads the way to Shadow Square.
SinN
Aust nods to Huukena

Always a pleasure milady He grins and takes off after Jace.
fistandantilus4.0
Tyr - Shadowsquare
Ironically, despite the dark, the pre-dawn is the safest time to be in the infamous Shadow Square. Host and home to some of the cities best of the worst, Shadow Square has always been notorious as a place for cut throats and dare devils, where fortunes can be lost and made over night.

Just at the edge, by the ancient fountain of a crouching braxat with a small but steady stream of water flowing from its mouth, hangs a lean figure concealed in a cloak. He moves cautiously, looking around for any dangers that might threaten from the shadows. With his keen sight, Jace can make out the familiarly worn face of the man he met in the Golden Inix just the night before. He certainly seems to know well enough to keep his back to the 'wall' of the fountain as his eyes open, even at this hour.
Lady Door
Hukenna falls into step behind the duo, rolling her eyes as she realizes she's watching Aust's back yet again. Could really use your guidance on this one, Korgunard. For a moment she's a little overwhelmed. Spirits, how I miss you.

Spotting the man slinking around the fountain, Hukenna's eyes narrow and her mouth tightens. The idea of something happening so near the fountain is unsettling. This place should be revered as holy... not used as the site of clandestine meetings. Should blood be spilled in the water, I will be most upset.
Ol' Scratch
While Jace certainly seems right at home in this den of villainy, his ears and other senses are at full alert as they approach the half-elf.

This time when he speaks, gone is the polite gentlemany demeanor he had presented to Aust and Hukenna. Instead, his voice gains a darker and more sinister verve more appropriate to the environment; one that reveals just how dangerous a man he truly is. Even his posture changes, from that of a dignified freeman to one more befitting a predator on the prowl. He steps forward, making sure both of the elves are still firmly behind him, and addresses the cloaked survivor.

"Greetings," the assassin begins while making a benign gesture that allows the steel dagger to slowly but clearly slip from his sleeve. He offers the dagger, hilt first, to the half-elf. "As promised, both your blade and a nobleman willing to hear your story. I trust you will treat him with the respect he's due." With those simple words, he steps aside and nods slightly in Aust's direction, giving his patron the cue to speak.

As the men talk, Jace takes the opportunity to fully assess the situation, looking -- and more importantly, listening -- for anything out of the ordinary. One can never be paranoid enough in such situations, don't you know?
SinN
Aust steps forward.

I am Lord Aust. Perhaps my name has been overheard, but it matters not. My associate tells me you have an interesting bussiness oppurtunity for me? Perhaps you could further indulge me on some details before I consider accepting this rare offer.
Lady Door
Finding herself in the unenviable position of being part of the discussion without actually being part "of" the discussion, Hukenna keeps a close eye on the situation on hand. At the bard's sudden change in tone, she raises an eyebrow. Well, well... there's iron beneath that velvet. Interesting.

Spot Test Results
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
The weathered half - elf clears his throat, subconciously wiping his hands on his trousers.
Erm, uh, well... well MET ... my Lord .... Well ... you see... the matter is this , uh... There's this caravan see ... out there in the wastes ... . needs some gettin' after. Lots o' treasure there, o' the shiny type, if you take my meaning. Like your man here woudl have shown ya', that is! he says, indicating Jace.
The half- elf seems to be gathering himself, unprepared for finding himself speaking with a lord in Shadow Square.
Fortune to be made out there my Lord, mark my word! Plenty o' steel to go around. Body o the beast will keep other beasties away too. Nothin', I mean nothin' wants to go 'round a rampager, even a dead one. Just don't fit in with the survival instinct to well, ya' know? Least that's what the desert beasts'll think.
We know better. We know the beast is dead. But sooner er later, someone else gonna wander thruogh that section o' desert, snatch up that find.
I'm a humle man, my Lord. Humble means. I don't ask for a lot, just my fair share. I bring you to it, I'm doing half the work. seing as your lordship has more ... err.. .concerns, I can see myself to a 40/60 split, giving your lordship and his the lirre's share.
SinN
Aust looks on as the man speak, appearing un-impressed.

40/60? Not bloody likely. He's up to something.

How long ago did this incident take place?
fistandantilus4.0
Was a three day trip ... at my speed, low with water. Would expect you , bein' an elf and all, would make quicker time. Three days, plus two in the city, and then dawn today. Caravan was well off the track though. Real doubtful anyone else woulda found their way there. 'Course, I know the way bacK
SinN
Aust raises an eyebrow.

And why was the caravan of track?
Ol' Scratch
Jace continues to stand quietly. Perhaps a little too quietly. While his eyes stay on the weathered survivor, it's clear his attention lays elsewhere.

For a moment, however, he looks over at Hukenna as if he's considering asking her something, but for whatever reason he decides against it.
fistandantilus4.0
The man shrugs. Who can say for certain what the mind of the captain was. But I'd guess because of the war, and two armies roving the desert in search of supplies. Certainly steel blades would be something an army would want. Would kill for.
SinN
You're hiding something half-elf. The Caravan wouldnt have gone so far off-course without you knowing why. If you wish for my aid, then I expect truths from you.

Aust speaks in an even tone and crosses his arms.

So let me explain to you my options at this point if you dont start telling me the truth. I take this information, gather some guard and go out and retreive this myself and say goodbye to your 40/60 agreement. My bard over there has been itching to use his blade. Wether youre killed or not, matters little. Or you decide to be profesional in this partnership. Give me correct details, and Id be happy to work with you in retreiving these treasures. You have but a few seconds to make your choice.
fistandantilus4.0
The half-elf shakes his head. You mistake my position my Lord. He's certainly taking his time with proper articulation now. I was acting as a guard with the caravan. I was in no position to demand or get an explanation from the captain. I am a survivor, not a leader of that venture.
SinN
Then perhaps I was mistaken. How sure are you of what you say? Becuase if Id like, I can get the best psionicists in Tyr to search your mind for me. Not that I feel I need to be that cruel, Do I?
fistandantilus4.0
The man takes a step back, angling around the statue.
Apparently I was mistaken my Lord. Clearly I have the wrong man. All this time, I have your associate concerned that I am the thief. Good day to you my Lord.

The man backs away slowly, moving towards the alley.
Ol' Scratch
"Hmm, it appears that I'll have to speak on his behalf in the future..."

Stepping forward, Jace leans in and whispers quietly into Aust's ear, though his eyes never leave the half-elf. "Milord, I realize these are trying times and you have every right to be distrustful, but perhaps you could temper your words a bit. This is neither the time nor place to be threatening someone so openly. Eyes, and more importantly ears, are everywhere..."

But before he could finish, he overheard the half-elf's displeasure. He takes it upon himself to try to salvage the situation as he steps further forward. "You must forgive Lord Aust for his suspicions. He is new to such dealings, and it is entirely my fault for failing to step in sooner. If you would stay but a moment longer, I'm sure an amicable arrangement can be had. Besides, I'm well aware of the difficulties you've had trying to find someone to listen to you. Is it truly wise to let a few words destroy any opportunity to salvage this cargo?"
SinN
Aust holds out a hand.

Stop. Perhaps my tone was too forward. My apologise. Today has been a tad too eventful for me and its left me a bit critical. Perhaps we can talk in a more comfortable setting. Also, I dont feel right about us having such a discusion in a place that should be considered holy. Aust waves a hand to the fountain. Seems a bit disrespectful, as I have been to you. And I know someone more well off then I who may be interested in this also, and he would be an excellent help to you and I, If I can convince him. Either or, I think you and I need to talk when we're not so..wound up. What do you say?
Lady Door
While Jace steps forward to speak with the survivor, Hukenna takes Aust's arm. She pulls him back a step, speaking in an urgent whisper. "What are you doing?! Suspicion is one thing but threatening a man with the "best psionicists" in Tyr?! You greatly overestimate your reputation, my Lord. Should it get out - and this is the Shadow Square, so you can be guaranteed it will - that you are making such boasts, you will find that you do not have enough skin to hold the many assassin's daggers aimed at you. We NEED this, Aust. Badly. More then that... YOU need this. You need a bold claim... something that will set you apart from the other nobles. This could be that chance and you are handling it with the grace of a wounded kank!"

Hukenna gives him that same familiar look. The look that says, "Fix this." before pushing him back towards the two men.
fistandantilus4.0
Aust - Diplomacy check with a bonus of +2 for assistance, and a -3 condition modifier
Lady Door
Hukenna smiles as Aust mentions the fountain, sighing with relief as he seems to come round to her way of thinking. His sudden mention of "someone more well off then I" wipes the smile from her face. She steps forward, holding up a hand in a placating gesture to both the bard and the survivor.

"If I could have just a moment, please." Once again, she finds herself pulling Aust back from the other two and speaking in hushed tones. "Do not... under ANY circumstances, mention our friend from the winehouse. He cannot be part of this. Do you understand what I'm saying? He can't be part of this..."
SinN
[ Spoiler ]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2530092/
fistandantilus4.0
The half-elf hesitates for a moment, looking around cautiously.
You must understand my position as well my Lord. I also have a need for people I can trust. Otherwise, what good does it do me to lead you there, when my worth to you expires precisely when you have the location. And it's not as if Icould even simply run away. You're an elf.
Then there is the simple statement of Aust's heritage. Elves have an even greater reputation for beign untrustworthy than their half-breed cousins.
Ol' Scratch
Jace looks to Aust for a moment, almost as if asking permission with his eyes. But before a response could be had, he steps forward again.

"As I said before, I understand your trepidation. While your comments on one's birthright may be considered rude, there is nonetheless a hint of truth to be had therein. But consider: I have fulfilled my promises to you, have I not? I have brought a lord to hear your plea, and I have returned your dagger to you. Does this not earn you my trust? If it does, then I hope you can trust me when I say this: We have no intention of double-crossing you. We are men... and elves... of our honor. Please, keep this in mind before making your final decision."
SinN
Aust glares at Huukena for a moment. Trying to figure what she means. He turns back to the half-elf.

Well put half-elf. Very well. We'll meet up later this afternoon at a place called The Drunken Ogre. You'll have little trouble finding it. Its low-key and discreet.
fistandantilus4.0
Still on the balls of his feet, the half-elf shakes his head. I think I'm more comfortable here for now my Lord.
Ol' Scratch
"Drunken Ogre? What in the Grey is an ogre?"
Lady Door
Hukenna finally steps forward, placing a hand on Aust's arm and smiling at the survivor. "If I may, my Lord, perhaps I could convey more accurately your feelings on the matter." She turns and gives Aust a guarded look, willing him to stay silent for a moment before turning back to the survivor.

"We understand your trepidation, and I can most certainly sympathize. You come to us with a very exciting opportunity, and a potentially lucrative one at that... and yet, you find that you are insulted and made to feel inferior. My apologies. My Lord is a man not accustomed to fine words or pretty grace... but, he is a man of action. And action, as I see it, is the very quality you are placing value on now. Let us forget for a moment our differences and remember that we all have something to gain from each other." Her voice is soothing, with just a hint of plea.

Diplomacy Roll
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
The half-elf seems to forget that he doesn't know what the word 'trepidation' means and slowly returns to the fountain.
Very. .. well... then.
I would suggest that we move as quicly as possible out of the city. It wouldn't do to have the city watch see such as ... 'disinguished" noble leaving at all hours.
Ol' Scratch
"Excuse me, milord." Jace turns to Aust. "I have a few things I need to attend to here in town. Will the three of you be all right on your own while I do so? I imagine you still need to return to the villa to marshal your men and whatnot, yes? If so, I shall meet you there. If you do not mind, that is."
SinN
Aust, feeling a bit overwhelmed with the current situation, feels releived as it seems to be difused.

See if I ever act like a noble again.

Very well Jace. Attend to your matters.

He turns back to the half-elf.

Do you think we need to gather some muscle or do you beleive we can handle it on our own? Becuase the other noble I mentioned earlier can be a big help with that.
Ol' Scratch
Despite the risk of becoming a living bobblehead, Jace bows his head politely to his patron before disappearing into the growing crowds.

Some Actions, Some Comments, Some Apologies
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
SinN
[ Spoiler ]

The half-elf shakes his head. The steel carries easily my lord. It is blades, not ore. We need to move fast, and more would only slow us ... and draw attention I expect.

Doc
[ Spoiler ]
Ol' Scratch
With a haversack slung over his shoulder, Jace proceeds to make it back to the Estate as quickly as he can.
SinN
Im only thinking of one man. And you'll be glad I brought him. It wont take me long to retreive him, and then we'll be on our way. Agreed?
fistandantilus4.0
The half - elf looks apprehensive, clearly not comfortable with yet another change in plans.
Diplomacy test -2
SinN
Diplomacy roll
[ Spoiler ]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2548274/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012