Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the Crimson Sun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Ol' Scratch
Jace and the Waylayer Part 6: The Epilogue

"Dawn at the Braxat fountain. I'll see you there, my friend."

After the half-elf makes his departure, Jace takes a second look at the dagger. With practiced ease he lets the blade slide down into his cuff before resuming his door-watching posture. "There's a sucker born every minute." The bard pauses for a moment. "Hmm, I'm going to have to coin that phrase..."

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
The Golden Inix
After taking a few minutes to clean up and change, Aust and Huukena set out for the Golden Inix within Tyr. Setting out at a run, the two are well within the city before night fall, right on time for the meeting. A brief stop off at a draqoman station double checks their directions, as well as giving them a moment to clean the dirt of the road off of their clothes.

Soon they find themselves within the well furnished wine house and inn, ordering water and wine and finding a seat. A private room has already been prepared under the name of Senator Agis of Asticles, with Aust as the listed guest.
SinN
Aust thinks for a moment.

I suppose you'll have to wait out here. Ill try to convince Agis to allow you in, but I'd like this to be a peaceful evening. So lets try not to make anyone angry, since it seems to be almost inevitable when we get together.
Lady Door
The Golden Inix - Hukenna and Aust

Hukenna's mouth curves into an icy smile as she steps closer to Aust. When she speaks, she does so in hushed tones. You seem to be forgetting that I've met and charmed Senator Agis before, m'Lord. The venom practically drips from the last word. And I trust that my manners are much more suited to the Senator then yours. So, before you cross that oh so dangerous line and insult me, city elf... why don't we both just step inside? Hmm? Giving him one last disdainful look, she steps inside the curtained room.
Ol' Scratch
Jace and the Golden Inix

Just as Jace was about to give up for the night, he sees an elf matching Aust's description walk in with a young woman. The bard continues to sit quietly, watching inconspicuously out of the corner of his eye. When the two disappear into the back, he debates between following them or simply sitting tight and biding his time.
SinN
Aust pulls out his waterskin and takes a quick sip.

Ok good. Still water.

Stepping inside the curtained off booth, Aust waits for Agis, while attempting to have a civil chat with Huukena.
fistandantilus4.0
The Golden Inix

The elves take a seat within the reserved room, waiting for the rest of their party. Jace can see a few eyes drifting their way, the elves apparently out of place in the distinguished wine house, judging by the whispers.

After a few minutes, the door opens to admit a distinguished looking human with long black hair with a distinctive streak of white hair; Agis of House Asticles. Lord Agis stops to speak with a few nobles as he checks his cloak and orders wine with the host, then proceeds to the private room.

There's a quick knock, then the door opens, Agis stepping into the room , closing the door behind him.

Lord Aust, thank you for meeting me. Huukena, I did not realize you had returned to Tyr. I'd like to have the oppurtunity to honor you with a feast, when we're able. Tyr should honor those who fight for her.

Agis gives Aust a respectful bow of the head, and show his hands to Huukena, a traditional elf greeting to show he's not armed.
I took the liberty of ordering some wine. I thought we'd eat first and let off the days heat.
SinN
Aust smiles at his mentor.

Agis, how many times must I say it? Please don't call me Lord. Its good to see you again.

Aust doesn't eat much but enjoys the light conversation between his friends.

So I'm eager to know what you wish to speak to me about. May we get on to it, old friend?
Lady Door
The Golden Inix - Hukenna, Aust & Agis

Hukenna looks up as Lord Agis enters the wine house, barely managing to stop from rolling her eyes. Trust a noble to wear a cloak in this heat. She stands as he approaches, bowing her head slightly when he speaks to her.

Thank you, Lord Agis. Your hospitality and generosity are appreciated. She smiles when he shows his hands, finding herself oddly touched that he would take the time to learn their customs.
fistandantilus4.0
Golden Inix Private Room - Aust/Huukena

Agis moves to take a seat, waiting for Huukena to sit first.
We've had this discussion before Aust. If you don't present yourself properly, than no one will take you seriously. You're either a 'lord', or you're not. If the other nobles see you as anything less than a full noble, they'll move on you. Before you know, you and your lands will be picked apart by the pack of zhakals. Being a noble isn't, or at least shouldn't be for yourself. It's your duty.

The serving girl comes in with the wine, opening and pouring the drinks for the trio before withdrawing again. Agis waits for her to finish before continuing. He raises his glass to the pair, toasting to a Free Tyr until the sun dies.

I did have more to discuss than politics however. I'm sure I don't need to tell you two how strained Tyr's resources are right now. With the war going on, we're stretched thin, especially on man power. We don't have as many of the riots as we did in the early days, but Tyr's peace is still built on dry grass.

I'm sorry, I'll get to the point . I've gotten use to orating. There's been a number of murders in the area aroudn the ziggaraut. Ten so far in just the last month and a half. All of them appear the same way; withered. People are getting scared, and frankly, the Gaurd is drawn to thin to do much about it. It doesn't help that most of the victims have been street people with little influence or means. And now the rumors are going around that the killer is supernatural. Kalak's ghost.

Personally I don't believe it, but something has to be done. I'm to tied up in the Council chambers and politics, but it might be a good chance for you to get a little popular support. I'm glad you're here as well Huukena. You're reputation is well known. I'm sure we'll find the investigation much smoother with you along.

He drinks his wine again, taking a moment to enjoy the flavor as it washes away the dirt from his throat.
Lady Door
Golden Inix Private Room - Aust/Huukena/Agis

Hukenna's eyes widen in shock. This isn't the first time I've heard of such things, my Lord. Several months ago, a priestess from my tribe was found murdered. Her body had been withered, drained of all blood. I... I tried to track the killer but there were no clues, no tracks ... nothing. Hukenna's eyes cast down for a moment, her face pale. I failed.

She takes a long sip of her wine, trying desperately to dissolve the lump in her throat. I will, of course, do everything I can to help you find out who is behind this. Hukenna takes a glance around the room, suddenly aware of how many ears could be listening at walls. She leans closer, dropping her voice further still. If rumor spreads that this is Kalak's spirit... you will have chaos on their hands. You're going to have to do something to stop this. Implicate someone... anything. This rumor CANNOT be allowed to continue.
fistandantilus4.0
Agis nods in agreement. If the rumor is allowed to spread, it could cause a panic. You can see why we need this situation seen to quickly, and by competent people. We can't allow a panic to get out/ I'm not saying implicate someone else . ... Yet. Someone or something is doing this. Tyr will be best served if we can find out the truth.

It's very troubling to hear that this has happened somewhere else. But if nothing else, it discreditcs the rumor of Kalak's wraith, if it also happened far from Tyr.
Ol' Scratch
Jace

After watching the elves disappear into the back, the Gulgan considered bribing one of the serving wenches so that he could deliver their wine, but when he sees Agis of Asticles appear a moment later, he decides to continue biding his time. No sense testing his ring's power against such a noteworthy telepath, afterall. Instead, Jace chooses to continue waiting and perhaps approach the lord and lady upon their departure.

He flags down a nearby wench and has her refill his mug, trying his damnedest not to sigh.
fistandantilus4.0
Doc - Spot Test
Ol' Scratch
[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Aust listens intently.

I wonder when the gods will be finished laughing at us. I will help you Agis. I for one dont beleive Kalak's wraith is up to anything. You told me how you and the others finished him off. But if I'm wrong, then Ill do anything I can to put a stop to it. The dead are to stay dead.

Aust glances at Huukena for a moment before continuing.

Is there anything else you can tell us?

fistandantilus4.0

Agis nods in agreement, drinking his wine.

There doesn't seem to be any singular connection to the killings, except that the bodies were found in the vicinity of the ziggaraut. I don't need to tell you how big that thing is, and how wide an area that makes this. They weren't found at the base or anything so simple, but all were within a few hundred yards . Freemen, recently freed slaves, artisans mostly. There was a well of merchant, and a minor noble as well. Mixed races. From what I've seen, there weren't any wounds that I could tell from the body that I saw. Just the strange withering.
fistandantilus4.0
sinN, roll d20
Lady Door
Hukenna's eyes dart to Aust at his comment that the "dead should stay dead." Oh, ... you self righteous son of a ... See if I save you next time. She takes another drink of her wine, willing herself to concentrate at the matter at hand.

My lord, I'm sure you've already investigated this line of inquiry... but were there any traces of psionics used? I've seen some of the effects of those abilities. Those effects mirror some of what we're seeing here.

SinN
Yes, Ive heard of that kind of power in the way. Im sure its something Kalak would know how to do.

Roll:d20
Roll=19
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2516247/
fistandantilus4.0
Agis shakes his head.
That was my original thought, except that there was no trace of psionics left on the body. Traces don't usually last a very long time unless there was a lot of energy put into it . There's really no way to tell how long the man had been dead. At least no way that I know of. Perhaps your Patrons can tell you something more.
fistandantilus4.0
Jace - The golden inix Common Room
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
I'll travel to our sacred shrine tonight. If nothing else, I should have at least a better idea of what we're looking at. Hukenna blushes faintly. Will Rikus and the others be investigating as well?
fistandantilus4.0
Golden Inix- Private Room
Agis shakes his head.
Rikus and Neeva are still at the front. The trap you led the urikites into took their teeth, the Urik's army is still a danger to the lands surrounding Tyr, especially our client villages and farm lands. They're chasing each other around in the desert. Sadira and I returned to keep an eye on ... things.

As Agis speaks, Aust feels a sharp twinge in his stomach.
SinN
Aust considers the two for the moment and is about to chuckle when the twinge hits him. His past exploits are a reminder of what has just happened.

Poison..

His eyes go wide and immediatley jumps forward to take the food and drink from Huukena and Agis.

Stop eating! Somethings wrong.

Aust grips his stomach as he attempts to look around to see if anyone is paying him any particular attention.
fistandantilus4.0
SinN
[ Spoiler ]

Aust's gut wrenches hard a moment later, making him gasp in pain and shock. He lurches twice more before his knees giving out, spilling him onto the teble. He starts convulsing as the pain wracks him, hitting against the table. Agis is up in an instant, trying to hold the thrashing elf up when Aust suddenly and violently vomits blood.
Lady Door
Hukenna gasps and jumps back as Aust hits the table. Her hand instantly goes to her pouch, remembering the potionfruit of Sweetwater it contains.

Agis! I can help him, but not when he's like this! Can you ... calm him? Knock him unconscious? Something? Hukenna grabs Aust's flailing form, trying to stop him from harming himself more.

Either this is a delayed poison or only Aust was poisoned. Why?
SinN
What the hell is going on?

Aust attempts to heave himself up in an attempt to subside a little of the pain. The no avail, he simply groans in pain. He manages to get a few words out his blood soaked teeth.

I dont suppose your gods would show me the same courtesy as before? He tries to laugh but is immediatly stopped by the pain once more as the blood streaks down his chin and neck. He falls back into his seat.
fistandantilus4.0
It's a reaction! He's not in control of himself, so I can't control him!

SinN
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Jace - Golden Inix Common Room
Shouts can be heard clearly from the private room, as well as some sort of commotion, and the banging of furniture. Jace's keen ears hear the elf woman shout Agis' name.
SinN
As the pain worsens Aust lets out a shout. Doing everything he can to try to ignore the intense pain in his stomache. Everything around him starts to go white as his eyes take on a glossy look.

So this is what it feels like..
Ol' Scratch
Jace versus the Waitress: Oh No She Di'n't!

A moment after deciding to just wait, Jace had an epiphany. Insuring that his mind wasn't playing trick on him, he slowly eyed the room to mentally account for all of the serving girls. Damn. They're all there, yet someone slipped through the same door the elves did a few moments prior. He knew that tactic all too well. Especially since he was considering a variation of it just a moment ago...

But, alas, before he had a chance to do anything about it (because you jerks decided to jump so far ahead before I could even write my post :P, so now I get to just look like some douchebag), the bard heard a commotion from the private room. A bevy of options raced through his mind as he takes to his feet. His eyes darted between the exit and the back room before finally locking on the latter. Then, as quickly as he could without drawing any attention, he made his way therein.

"How in the bloody Hells am I going to explain this? 'Oh hello all-powerful leader guy, and Mr. Noble that I was hired to stalk. I couldn't help but overhear you were in some trouble. Could I be of assistance? Oh, and please don't melt my brain. I'm rather fond of it, don't you know.' Oy. I'm beginning to hate this mission already."

Now at the door, Jace took a deep breath and opened it dramatically. The only option that presented itself as being viable sprung into action almost subconsciously: Play the dumb samariatan.

"I say, what's going on in here?!"

[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Aust pays no attention to the man busting into the room as he falls to the floor still heaving up blood and groaning in pain.

I hope the Spirits are laughin it up. Damn this hurts!.
fistandantilus4.0
Golden Inix - Not so- Private Room
The serving girl is no where to be seen, having left the common room after serving the wine.

Agis looks up as the door bursts open, ready to react, but easing off when he sees no weapons.

Poison! This man's been posioned. Huukena, do something!
Lady Door
Hukenna's mind races. I've got nothing... I have no spells for this... He's going to die... Wait. He's going to die. If he dies, his heart stops pumping... the blood stops flowing. Poison stops...

Hukenna locks eyes with Aust. You're going to have to trust me, Aust. This is for your own good. Hukenna locks her arms around Aust's shoulders and begins to pray. She can feel Aust jerk in her arms as water begins to flood his lungs, blood and froth bubbling up from his mouth and nose. Hukenna's voice is soothing as she whispers in Aust's ear. It's okay, just let go... I've got you. As the spell reaches its zenith, she clamps her hand over his nose and mouth.

DC Save for "Lungs of Water" is 16.
fistandantilus4.0

Fortitude Save -1 for modified Constitution, -4 for being held down with hand over mouth.
SinN
What is she doing?!.......Well, If Ive ever trusted anyone, its her.

Aust isnt really sure how to let go, so he just writhes in pain some more as he begins to choke.
SinN
Fortitude save
Fortitude-+2 (+1 for rogue, +1 for Psionics)
Roll 1d20=10
-5 for modifers
Total=7

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2516773/
fistandantilus4.0
Before the stunned eyes of Agis and the dark man in the door way, the elf woman grabs the thrashing elf on the floor and sings a prayer. The poisoned elf's eyes go wide as she holds him, his lungs suddenly filling with water. The elf thrashes wildly, water spurting out of his nose even as the water cleric clamps her hand over his mouth and nose. His lungs already emptied of air and his body weak from the wracking poison , it's over in seconds. The thrashing slows, then stops as his eyes roll up on his head. After a moment, it's over. She lessens her grip, and they watch, as water pours from his nose and mouth, his body slack. His heart stopped.

By the spirits... Agis whispers, stunned.

[ Spoiler ]
Ol' Scratch
Jace comes fully into the room and closes the door. He folds his arms and watches intently at the events unfolding before him. If anyone present were at all familiar with the Gulgan, they might recognize his expression as one of great bemusement. But, alas, he seems to simply be offering an indifferent look instead.

[ Spoiler ]
Ol' Scratch
After a moment of watching, and while everyone is distracted with the dying nobleman, Jace makes his way closer to the table and slyly picks up the goblet he suspected was Aust's. Bringing it to his nose, he takes a whiff or two and even touches a single drop of it to the tip of his tongue before silently spitting it back out.

[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Hukenna's eyes widen as Aust slips from her hands onto the floor. Okay, didn't really expect that to work.

The shock causes Hukenna to hesitate for the briefest of moments. Then she takes stock. "Agis, when I tell you, start chest compressions. We're going to have to work quickly to get the water out of his lungs. ... Don't look at me like that. I know I put it there. Now we have to get it out. But first, we need to stop the poison. I couldn't do it with him flopping around like a gutted Erdlu. Now, I can. But, I have to get this..." She holds up a waterskin "...down his damned throat first." Noticing the dark skinned man standing in the doorway, she gestures behind him. "You there, find me a funnel. This is a winehouse... there has to be one somewhere. Hurry."

Whim of the Wave, I hope this works.
Ol' Scratch
Looking up from the goblet, Jace meets the elfling's eyes before she turns her attention back to Aust. He tilts his head to the side slightly before reaching into his clearly oversized tunic and fumbles around a bit. A moment later, he pulls out a small funnel-like device made of ivory and offers it to the cleric. "Will this do?" His expression remains as passive as ever.

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Golden Inix - Private Room - Jace

The scene seems to be one of frantic, controlled chaos as the elf and nobleman look to the poisoned elf. Taking up the goblet, Jace peers inside, seeing the tell tale sheen. It's a deep color, but so are is the colored glass of the wine goblet. It matches very well. Add in some dark wine as is in the remaining glasses, and you'd never see it. Dark spider venom. And from the strength of the effect, probably a queens. A double dose at that. Someone wanted to make sure this elf died, and painfully, and was willing to pay a lot for it.

Good poisoner too. Professional. Not bad work really. Would have done the trick if it wasn't for the cleric.
Lady Door
Hukenna takes the funnel from the dark skinned man with an arched eyebrow. "Just happened to have funnel handy?" Turning back to Aust, she pries open the slack jaws and slides the funnel deep inside his mouth. "Agis, hold the funnel, please." Careful not to spill a drop, she pours the Sweetwater Potion into the elf's mouth, massaging his throat to ease the liquid down as she does so. Her concentration is so intense she doesn't even realize she's biting her lip until she tastes blood.

"There. That's all of it." She tosses the pouch aside and nods toward Agis. "Now. Begin chest compressions." Hukenna moves to stabilize Aust's head before taking a deep breath. "You SO owe me" She rubs her sleeve across his mouth, trying to remove whatever residue of poison lingers before putting her mouth to his and beginning resuscitation. For every compression, she breathes... watching Aust's chest, pleading with the spirits to see it rise on its own.
fistandantilus4.0
Roll Heal Skill +2 for Assisted
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Lady Door @ May 13 2010, 02:15 PM) *
Hukenna takes the funnel from the dark skinned man with an arched eyebrow. "Just happened to have funnel handy?"

Jace mirrors the arched brow with one of his own. "I wouldn't be the winemaker I was if I didn't come prepared, milady." With that, he takes a step back and continues watching the events as they unfold before him.
Lady Door
Heal Test
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
Huukena and Agis work on the elf , pumping his chest. After nearly a minute, the body convulses, then lurches to the side as he spews water out over the floor. Aust coughs hard, vomiting water out of his lungs, gasping for breath.

Well I'll be damned. Agis said. Pushing his chest actually got the water out. Never would have thought of that.
SinN
Aust rolls over on his back, staring up at the ceiling.

I cant beleive I drowned in Athas. He smiles around the room then at Huukena.

You've got a nasty habbit of savin me. You better knock that off if you ever want to get rid of me. He grins at her and then lays back placing a hand on her arm to make sure he has her attention.
Thank you. Dont know where Id be without a Cheif.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012