Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the Crimson Sun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
fistandantilus4.0
The Way Stone - Interjection - Aust, Huukena, Jace - Before Dargos arrives

OOC Note
[ Spoiler ]

Jace seemed at first surprised to run into the others, then relieved at the thought of not needing to jog all the way to the estate. "Lord Aust, Lady Hukenna. It is good to see you again."

For the briefest of moments, Jace stands there enjoying the shade as he exchanges pleasantries with the elves. That is until he realizes where the shade is coming from. Turning on the balls of his feet, he holds one hand above his eyes to shield them from the morning sun, only to find himself looking up at a behemoth of a man. "Oh. My, you're a big fellow, aren't you?" Having met more than his fair share of half-giants in the past, Jace at once treated this one with both respect and a child-like sense of wonder in the hopes of winning him over as quickly as possible. "Wait, don't tell me... you must be Lord Urgos! T'is a great honor to finally meet you, my friend. I have heard many great things about you." With his eyes adjusted to the bright light, he brings his hand down and simply offers a genuine smile to his hopefully newfound friend.

After a quick exchange and introduction (well, as quick as an exchange can be with a half-giant), Jace again turns his attention to the elflings.

"Oh, I nearly forgot. You will be pleased to hear that I bring news of the incident from last night. While gathering my things, I happened upon some individuals who are... let's just say they're very familiar with the goings-on in my line of work. After some discussion and the dropping of more than a few coins—" Jace pauses for a moment, looking at Aust expectedly. The most subtle of sighs escape his lips before he continues. "—I have come to learn quite a bit. Tell me, does the name Alias have any significance to either of..."

Before he could finish, however, the Gulgan spotted a familiar figure approaching. "We should continue this at a more discreet time. Other matters demand your attention for now, milord. Milady." Jace bows his head and steps into the background, taking a comfortable position next to his hopefully new friend.

Diplomacy Test
[ Spoiler ]

SinN
Aust walks a step behind Huukena, and a few more steps behind Dargos and Jace. Contemplating on one end his assassin, and the other, his current situation.

It appears Jace is proving to be useful.

Aust, still untrusting of the half elf, keeps his mind ready to use the way on him. If this is an ambush, Dargos will be the first to die.
fistandantilus4.0
Outside Tye - Heat of the Day

The group travels for the better part of three hours, tryign to beat the noon day sun. It might save them from full exposure, but the hard pace makes for sweaty work. Only the coming blessings of a water cleric give any sort of hope for the break ahead.
Dargo leads the group along the road, and then north, into the scrub, headed for the sandy wastes beyond. The sun is already at its peak when they finally reach the cliff he mentioned earlier, taking a break and shelter from the heat of the sun. The cliff face juts out, providing an overhang and shade, and more to come as the shade will grow larger as the sun moves to the West.

The old half-elf slides off his kank, taking a long pull from his water skin, then begins collecting the kank's honey.
Lady Door
Hukenna drinks deeply from her skin, letting some of the water spill over her shoulders. Thank you, Spirits, for the blessing of your shade, and for your water. May your water nourish my body so that I may nourish your world.

Her prayers said, she walks over to the others and offers them water from the skin. "Drink and be blessed." If he's thinking ambush, let him first see what having a cleric as a friend can be like.
fistandantilus4.0
If you're offering water to Dargo, make a Diplomacy test at +2
Lady Door
Diplomacy Roll
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
The old man takes a grateful drink, a surprised look on his face as he tastes the cool, clean water.
'Preciate that ... uh... priestess. Good stuff you got there.
He hesitates for a moment, then offers some kank honey in return.
Lady Door
Hukenna smiles and takes the proffered honey. "Thank you, Dargo. She takes a bite, mouth puckering at its sudden sweetness. "So, Dargo, you've come this way before? How much longer till we reach the wagon?"
fistandantilus4.0
A few days I think. Hard to say. I know how long it took us no foot, and I think how long it should have taken on mounts. You all move pretty fast over land. Should only be a couple of days.
SinN
Well atleast we have enough food and water for the trip.

Aust keeps his distance, but instincively positions himself between Dargos and Huukena. While walking and keeping mostly to himself, he tries to question Jace.

Speaking quietly:
Jace, you were speaking earlier about my assasson? Id like to know what you know.
fistandantilus4.0
Sense Motive Test

Success of 10-15

[ Spoiler ]

Success of 15-20
[ Spoiler ]

Success of 25+
[ Spoiler ]
Ol' Scratch
Sense Motive
[ Spoiler ]

Jace takes a moment to relax as the makeshift caravan slows their pace for a short break, and he uses the opportunity to down a light drink of water. When Aust approaches him, the Gulgan bows his head politely before falling even further back behind the group -- well out of earshot of the half-elf. "Of course, milord.

"It cost me a fair amount of coin..."
Again, Jace falters as he gives Aust a look out of the corner of his eyes. And after seeing the same oblivious response as before, he continues, "...and some time, but I was able to find a few individuals who had the answers I was after. Your assassin's name was Lidra. At least I'm assuming that's her name; like most professionals in my field, she uses a host of other names as well. She is a local talent in the employ of Alijas or Alias -- I heard it pronounced both ways and I am unsure which is the most correct. I didn't have the opportunity to do any research on him, but I assumed that if he was the one responsible, you would be familiar with him. Regardless, you should be quite honored, sire. Assuming Lidra was indeed working under Alias' command, he was willing to part with a handsome amount of coinage to see you dead. The poison used is very rare and extraordinarily expensive. They really wanted you out of the picture. Quite an impressive feat, if I do so say myself."

Jace downs another drink of water before continuing. It's subtle, but the bard's demeanor and speech patterns seem to indicate that he is either relaxing a bit around his newest companions. Well, it's either that or he's simply becoming fatigued under the relentless wrath of the desert sun.

"What's more, I discovered no contract out on your life. This strongly suggests that Lidra was, in fact, working under her patron's command. So tell me, do any of these names ring a bell for you? And if not, do you know why anyone would be willing to go through so much when a simple dagger plunged into your spine or a dart in your neck would suffice? The more information I have, the more I can help you."

As an afterthought, he adds one more comment before allowing his patron to reply. "As an aside, milord, you may want to allow either Lady Hukenna or myself to deal with Dargo for the time being. No disrespect to you or your people, but I get the distinct impression that he holds you in quite a large measure of contempt for a variety of reasons. It would be best to allow things to settle before inadvertently escalating things to a head. At least until we reach our destination, yes?"
SinN
Aust grins and chuckles.

Yes I suppose you're right Jace. Ill leave all affairs regarding him to the two of you, for diplomacy sake. As for my assassons, I havent the foggiest idea who they are. But I do suppose I have a reputation to suggest a dagger or dart wouldnt suffice. Its all either dumb luck, or Hukenna's quick thinking and sacrifice. He twinges as he remembers what he put her through at the oasis.

Interesting indeed. Why would someone go to such lengths to see me dead? I dont understand it.

I couldnt tell you an exact reason why there was an attempt, but it wasnt the first and it wont be the last. Ive foiled several plans to exploit the people and others I felt didnt deserve it. So I suppose when we get back we can compile a list of known enemies and perhaps branch from there?
Lady Door
Sense Motive
[ Spoiler ]

Hukenna's mouth twists in consternation as she realizes the depth of Dargo's hostility. This is not going to end well.
She hesitates for a moment when Jace joins them, her eyes on Dargo's back. No sense in antagonizing him further, feeding into this whole "us against him" mentality. She smiles at Jace and turns to Aust. "If you'll excuse me, gentleman, I'll leave you to your conversation." She looks pointedly at Aust. "I trust you'll fill me in on the details later?" It's not so much for Jace's benefit - although him knowing that Aust will tell her everything doesn't hurt... it's more a reminder to Aust to REMEMBER. THE. DETAILS.

That said, she catches up to Dargo, matching his stride and falling in beside him. She smiles companionably. "Don't mind our erstwhile Lord, Dargo. He's ... well, he means well, that is. Just has a difficult time not being a braying ass while doing it.
fistandantilus4.0
Readjusting his tact, Dargo nods in response, but still giving a sharp look in Aust's direction. He hobbles and stakes the kank, getting things settled.
Not so different from any other noble I've met. He doesn't see anything beyond his own perception of the world. And when it doesn't match his wants, it is anyone's fault but his.
We've got a few hours before the sun descends. We should set a watch and rest.

Sparing a smile to Huukena, he sets a small camp, with a roll for sitting, some tack for lunch, and a bone blade at the ready.
Lady Door
Hukenna does the same, her eye taking in the campsite. Their guide may have earned a small bit of sympathy from her, but he is still an outsider. There's no telling what he's trying to lead them into.

Wilderness Lore Check
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0

Wilderness Lore

The site looks good, and relatively secure. At a slightly higher elevation, it provides a good view of the road the party has just left. The overhang doesn't provide a lot of cover for shelter, except for from the sun for the worst part of the day. Its a shorn off side of a massive rock that might be better called a hill, with an overhang facing south. There is evidence that others have used it as a campsite in the past, but nothing recent.
Ol' Scratch
Jace listens patiently as Aust speaks.

"Curious," he replies, scratching at his chin as he ponders the elf's words. "That is indeed a plan, and one we can certainly pursue upon our return. I should, however, point out that you do have a bard at your disposal, too. With such an asset, perhaps you should consider more... aggressive... strategies in learning about your enemies. Espionage does happen to be a specialty of mine, after all. Just a thought to mull upon."

Unsure of what Hukenna's game is, Jace offers a simple smile as she breaks from their company. He'll certainly need to keep an eye on that one. Or, at the very least, find a way to garner more of her trust.

The spy continues walking quietly for a spell. Then, as an afterthought, he adds to his previous comments. "What of the name Vildeen, or perhaps his greatnephew? I'm afraid I didn't catch his name, but he bore the insignia of striding lizard of some sort, which I assume was the sigil of his house. I do not know if they have an involvement in the attempt on your life, but they both seemed to hold you in poor regard as well, and the nephew was indeed present in the wine house that eve."
SinN
Aust regards this a moment before smiling. The kind of smile one would have when he knows he's won.

That was my first act as a noble. Vildeen refused to send aid to the war. Huukena and several of my friends were fighting, though I didn't think it was my place or my war, I couldn't bear the thought of someone not contributing to something that affected us all. I uncovered some rather unflattering details about our dear Vildeen, and threatened to expose him if he didn't help. He saw things my way after a brief discussion. He also felt he was better then everyone, especially former slaves like Huukena, Urgos, and myself. So I got some personal pleasure out of blackmailing him, I have to admit.

Aust smiles coyly at the memory of that particular adventure.
Ol' Scratch
"I see." Jace nods as he pools together the collected tidbits of information so that they can swim about in the back of his mind. "It looks as if they've found a place to camp for the night. I should go help. Thank you for your assistance, milord. We shall discuss a more detailed plan when we return home, yes?"
SinN
Aust nods and gives a lazy smile.

We shall my friend.

He looks ahead as Jace catches up to the other two. His attention turns from the group to the distance between them. Looking out at the ocean of sand, Aust did what he normally had done when gazing out into the dessert, ever since he was a child, he imagined that instead of sand, there was massive, blue ocean. Waves slapping against one another. Creatures native to its element going about this way and that. Then as quickly as the fantasy came, gone with a gust of a hot breeze and sand brought it to a halt.

What a silly thing.

He'd been having these thoughts since his spirit was brought back by that spirit Huukena had known.

Perhaps it left its mark on me? Or left apart of her. She did lose her..
He holds out his hand for a moment, attempting to, well, anything water clericish, not expecting anything.
fistandantilus4.0
Nothing happens.

The small group of travelers settles in, resting through the heat of the day. The sun blazes down so that even the shade is hotter than should be bearable, the blessings of the water cleric doing wonders to mitigate the worst of it. Most end up napping, with a rotation of watch through the hottest hours. Once the sun begins to descend, five hours after high noon, the group is well rested, if well baked, and prepared to move again.

We can make another good three, maybe four hours, since I doubt you all have much trouble moving in the early dark. Mostly open ground once we get farther north, so one place's good as another fer campin'. Dargo says as he repacks the kank he brought, preparing to get moving again.
SinN
Aust smiles and nods at Dargo as he rolls up his bedroll and packs the rest of his things, keeping his word to not antagonise the half-elf any further. At this point he feels he may be walking on egg shells with Dargo, so even a compliment, half-hearted or otherwise, could be taken to the wrong way. So, a simple gesture will do.

He recalls the conversation he and Huukena shared in private the day before and considers other options as to not stir up any trouble, deciding that perhaps him keeping to himself for the remainder of the trip unless spoken to would most likely benifit him.

Well, I suppose it will give me time to think. He thinks to himself with a sigh.

I should introduce Jace to Agis. Perhaps it could benifit eachother to be in the others presence a moment. Jace may find more work, or clues. And Agis may be able to aid Jace in whatever it is his game is. Agis could also be a big help with out list of the whos who of nobles and men in power who dont take a particular liking to me. Hmm.....I think Ill name the list that. Kind of catchy. Ill also need to look into who Urgos has been spending his time with lately. As good a friend as he is, and as much of a help as he's proven himself to be, he can still be manipulated quite easily. Now finishing packing, he takes a swig from his water skin, looking around the group. His gaze stops at Jace.

The ever-mysterious Jace. What is his motive? What kind of man seaks me out without a reason. He's up to something. Though Im sure it isnt to work against me. He's had more than enough oppurtunities to kill me, steal from me, or disgrace me, not that Id care about that last one, but still, the oppurtunities has been more then presented to him. And yet, he remains loyal. Perhaps this is one who wont try to trick me for the worse? Even still, Ill need to stay on my toes with him. Atleast until I'm sure about him. Regardless, convicing Huukena otherwise will certainly be a challange.

At that last thought his gaze shifts to her.

Huukena of the Water Hunters. The cruelest of the gentle. The loudest of the meek. The hardest of the otherwise soft. And my best friend. Quite possible the strongest person I know. What an odd pair we make. A city elf, and a tribel elf. Who long for the others trust, and friendship. Its a mystery I wont dare question for fear it will disappear right before my eyes. I will never question her faith in me again. Twice I have died horrible deaths, and twice she has been there to call me back from the other side. By the spirits, I owe her a lifetime of gratitude. But there are times when that feat is more difficult than it sounds. Dargo seems to fancy her, Id better stay close to her, and my focus on him. I dont want him to get his one lucky shot in and have it prove fatal. She may be able to call my soul back, but my power doesnt work that way. If I lost her...

Aust is almost startled by the sound of Urgos mighty belch. He covers his nose, knowing full well the extent of just how bad they can be.

Urgos, my half-giant brother, and possibly the very reason Im no longer in shackles. Like Huukena, I owe him my life. So, just like her, I will spend mine dedicated to ensuring hes safe, and happy. Where would I be without this rag-tag clan of mine? Most likey face down in a gutter in the elven district. I shudder at the thought.

He smiles to himself as he grabs his things.

Shall we go then?
fistandantilus4.0
The group moves off as the heat of the day wears down to an easier 120 degrees. Traveling north through the scrub lands surrounding Tyr, the next day should bring the first of the dune wastes north of Tyr. Passing small client villages and burnt farm lands, Dargos avoids the villages themselves, even eschewing the roads for the trails off the beaten path. High above, kestrekels circle, riding the day's late thermals, hoping for a meal out of the travelers.
The day passes on, the setting sun setting the sun afire with green, and soon giving way to the twin moons Ral and Guthay. The heat lasts longer here in the night thanks to the scrub, keeping the temperature from plummeting as it does in the wastes. The half-elf unloads a small tent set from his kank, and tops off his small barrel of water from the oasis the group makes camp at. As the moons climb, the temperature descends, making the small fire a welcome heat, and light.
SinN
After Aust helps build the fire, he takes his things and gets settled for the night. He rests back on his mat while staring at the night stars.

Ive grown too acustomed to the city. The dessert is proving to be more brutal then I remember it. Nevermind that though, my question is, why would Dargo go to the lengths he did to avoid the villages? Perhaps there was someone there who could identify him as someone he didnt want us to know about? Something to ponder.

Aust looks around the fire to each of his companions.

Urgos, would you like to entertain everyone with one of your fascinating stories?
fistandantilus4.0
Urgos nods, then looks thoughtful for a while, looking off into the fire. After a few minutes, the large man finally speaks.

One time, there was a small village a long way from here. There were two borthers there, big half-giants like me, Tang and Daerg. They lived outside the village so they wouldn't break anything.

After working all day, they would go home, and them Tang would go to the bar. He would drink three barrels of the dwarf ale, and get really drunk. Then he would walk home. He would always see fuzzy, but he was a smart half-giant. When the road turned into three, he would follow the middle road.

One day, before Tang went out to the bar, his brother said 'Don't drink so much. It isn't good for you. You'll get hurt'.

And Tang laughed, because nothing hurts a half-giant. But he could tell Daerg was worried so he agreed. 'I'll only take two barrels tonight instead of three.' And his brother was ok with that. So Tang went to the bar. And he drank. But he only drank two barrels instead of three. Then he went home.

Late that night, an elf was walking along the road by the village, and he heard a strange noise. He went to investigate, and found a large half-giant sitting on his butt and crying. Thinking it strange, he walked up to the half-giant and asked him what he was doing.

Tang cried ' My brother asked me not to drink so much, so tonight I only had two barrels of ale instead of three. But now instead of three roads home, there's two , and I don't know which one to follow!'

Tang bellowed and the elf patted him on the shoulder.
'Easy there friend, I can help you find the second road.' he said. The elf reached into his cloak and gave Tang a bottle. Tang smiled big, very glad of the elf's help and quickly drank.

The next morning, Daerg went looknig for his brother , who hadn't come home that night. He found him dead on the road, poisoned, and his money and belongings taken.

Urgos sits back and takes another drink of water, looking for someone else to tell a story.
SinN
Aust listened intently to the story and looked a bit suprised at the twist ending.

Uh.....Great story, Urgos. He looks around to see everyones reactions were about the same. A mix between shock and humor.

Ive got a story. Something a bit less, well...as acurate as Urgos's tale.

Aust sat up.

When I was a boy, I lived here in the desert. I had a grandfather who told me a story once he had heard on his exploits. It starts in a land he called Ashenvale. There were two brothers, Hoyt and Cain. Hoyt was a powerful magic user, a preserver if you will, and Cain was an expert swordsmen. One night, Cain went for a drink at the local bar. There was a woman their. More beautiful then he had ever seen. She dre him in and before long, they were sharing a drink. She asked him what plans he had for his future, he told her about his plans to travel for a year. She laughed, and told him a year goes by like... Aust snaps his fingers. That!

For the life of him, Cain could not seem to step away from the woman. She invited him to her carriage. He could not refuse. Hoyt had decided to come to the bar to bring his brother home when he saw him climbing into the carriage. The woman turned to him as she was about to climb in, her eyes flashed red, and she had two rows of razor sharp teeth. And as quickly as Hoyt had seen the monsterous figure, her faced returned to normal. Hoyt ran to the carriage but it moved too fast for him, almost unnatural. Cains body was discovered a few hours later on the side of the road with bite marks all over his body. It was determined he had been killed by a wild animal. But Hoyt knew what he had seen.

Hoyt was determined to slay the beast who had done this to his brother. He went to the top of the highest cliff he could manage, and chanted a spell, it was to summon whatever had killed Cain. Suddenly, the woman appeared before him. She looked confused, but then recognized Hoyt.

She smiled coyly at him. "Come to see your dear brother, wizard?" She attempted to seduce him like she had Cain, but his pain was too great, he took his staff and heaved it into her chest, leaving a bloody, bruised mark on her. She screamed as if it'd been the first time she had felt pain. Suddenly Hoyt felt a blow to the back of his head. He turned quickly to see Cain running at him after heaving a rock. He had the same red eyes and razor sharp teeth as the women had shown at the bar. He growled and screamed loudly as he ran. He was like a wild animal. Rabid and psycotic. Hoyt pleaded with him to stop. Tried to remind him they were brothers. That he loved him. But Cain continued his relentless assualt. Suddenly, Cain took a great leap at Hoyt, Hoyt instinctively ducked and Cain went over the cliff. Plummiting to the bottom. Hoyt watched in horror, as he saw his brother die, for the second time. He turned to face the demon woman. She simply laughed. Hoyt attempted to fight her. She quickly overpowered him. He hurled spells at her, and as powerful as he was, she brushed them off with ease. She laughed at him, and told him he was too pathetic and weak for her to waste her time killing. And with that, she disappeared. Leaving him, with his anguish.

Hoyt went to his home, where he kept a very dark book. One that taught him evil spells and riituals. Something close to a defiler. Similar to what the late Kalak would have found amusing. It would certainly give him the power to slay this beastly woman, but he had made a vow to his Order, that he'd never use the dark arts for anything. He held it in his hand, shaking. Outside a lighting storm had begun. He started to open the book, and the storm became worse. For what seemed like ages, he stared until finnally throwing the book back into his chest and locking it tight.

The next morning, Hoyt awoke to a women sitting on his bed. She was glowing, and wearing a magnificent suit of armor with a long broadsword on her back and sheild in her hand encrusted with several diamonds and jewels. A Goddes, my grandfather called it. They're basicly the same as our Spirits that are worshipped here. She told Hoyt her name was Morrigan. She was a powerful goddess who had come to him for aid. Hoyt didnt know what to say. She explained to him that the women he had fought was a beast called a Vampyre. Humanoid demons who lived on the blood of the living. Once you are bit, you turn into one. Which explained Cain. Her name was Lillith, and she was a Demon Queen. Lillith had been living for thousands of years and was very powerful. She had conquered many world before, and now, she was planning to take this one. She told Hoyt that he was one of six people who had to band together and stop her. she then resited a prophecy. The chosen six were, "The Wizard, The Witch, The Warrior, The Scholar, The one who could change shape, And The one who had lost their way." She charged Hoyt to find the other five. That he'd have to travel through time and to different worlds in order to find them all. Hoyt eagerly accepted. And so, his adventure had begun.

Aust looked around to see if anyone was still listening.

Ill tell you the next part some other time.

He smiled and laid back on his roll watching the fire.
fistandantilus4.0
Urgos slowly counts out the number of companions on his fingers as Aust tells the tale, and sticks to it, stumbling at 5 for the next half hour.

Dargos settles into his bedroll soon after without much to say about the stories.
Don't matter ta' me what watch I get, but we should start early, before the sun rises. Best way to beat the heat. Not much in the way of shelter once we hit the dunes, so we'll want to make the best time we can across the sands.
SinN
Austs keeps looking at the stars.

Id have to agree. Ill take first watch. Ill wake up Jace for the next one and then we can just go from there.

Aust sits up and prepares for his first shift.
fistandantilus4.0
The night passes slowly, the cold embrace of the desert welcoming those who would venture out of the safety of the city. The night is filled with the quiet sounds of desert predators. Old instincts come back to Aust, familiar sounds and lurking shadows seen just beyond the camp fire light. As the guard changes, Aust feels the old familiar wariness, a level of edginess he'd forgotten. While vigilance is necessary to thrive within the city, its essential to survival in the desert.

Jace takes the post next, watching from just beyond the fire, his sense of sound filling in where his sight fails. The desert is cold, dark, and menacing in its open, foreign dangers. Completely differnt from the dangers of the city, all he can do is stay wary, and keep his blades ready. He calls to mind the wise words of the Wanderer's Journal, recalling all the creatures so vividly described in the ancient accounts. He recalls the words so often spoken by those who swear by the book. "All you need is a full waterskin, a sharp bone sword at your side, and the Wanderer to guide you."

As Huukena takes the watch, the night opens to her trained eyes. A lone tagster lurks beyond the firelight, watching vigilantly from cover among rocks for any vulnerability among the sleepers. Small scorpions move about the rocks, hunting the insects that hunt the smaller insects, the continual cycle of predators perpetuating its self.
fistandantilus4.0
Huukena wakes the camp before sunrise, Dargos prepping a small fire to warm trail food before the trek resumes. Within a few hours the sun will be blazing over the horizon and everyone knows it, so no one wastes any time breaking the camp and preparing for the day. Every minute spent sitting in camp is another minute running or riding under the heat of the sun, looking for shade, shelter, or water.
SinN
Aust finishes packing the remainder of the teams gear. Watching for the sun or any other predator that may have found its way into the dark spots of the camp(Shoes, boots, blankets, etc.)

Right, who's ready? Though the question was for everyone, Aust looks to Huukena. Old habits die hard.

I dont feel Ive quite got my foot in as a leader just yet, I know these sands well. But Kena knows people. Ill just let her handle the speech and shakes.
Lady Door
As the others break camp and make ready to travel, Hukenna finishes her own preparations. With a practiced hand she fills a small blue ceramic bowl with water from a sacred skin. Her words are whispered, her song not meant for mortal ears:
Lords of all who thirst,
our hearts are parched from wandering in deserts,
far from your life-giving springs.
Call us to your well.
May we drink often from your stream,
fill our cups with your grace.
Let your wisdom overflow in our hearts,
and make us fully alive.

Prayers completed, Hukenna rises from the sand and offers the bowl of water to each of the others in turn.
Spellcasting: Casts a Bless spell on each member of the group.
SinN
Knowing Huukena as long as he has, Aust is slightly aware of what Huukena is doing. She'd never give him water out of kind graces. Simply because when it came to Aust, Huukena wasnt kind.

Aust smiles after taking a drink.

Im happy the spirits will be with us today, friend.

Did I just say something.. nice? Perhaps I shouldn't stay in the sun so long.
fistandantilus4.0
Dargos is ready quickly, and more than happy to accept the proferred drink. Jace accepts more graciously.

Thank you kind Lady. Water shared is to be treasured, especially in the wastes.

The group sets out again into the wastes, headed north toward the Great Alluvials. The first of three days is come and gone, with a world of sand ahead. Tyr is situated on lush land, but most of the tenant farms are to the south or west, near the shade of the mountains. The northern land is scrub and rock, quickly giving way to the Alluvial Wastes.

The sight of small farms and the estates of the lesser nobility quickly fall away, guards or farmers with picks eyeing the small band as they move past. While no one is hostile, this far from any law, even the templars, no one trusts another to be kind. The risk is too great.

Finding shelter before midday, the group avoids the worst of the sun, setting out again into the evening, and traveling as the sand slowly cools. Another cold night ahead, but the promise of treasure makign it worth while.
Lady Door
When the last vestiges of civilization fall behind them, Hukenna finally relaxes. Here, in the wastes, is where she feels truly at home. This is her turf, her ground. She smiles and lengthens her stride, putting distance between herself and the rest of the motley crew.
Need a good vantage spot... somewhere to scout from. Need to find a place for the evening...
Wilderness Lore/Survival Check for Scouting purposes
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
There isn't much in the sand wastes. Less than even then the badlands. Simply sand, as far as the eye can see. Perhaps then it can only be credited to the blessings of the Wave Lords that Huukena manages to find one of the few hospitable places in the wastes, a small oasis situated between a pair of mekillot dunes. The massive dunes are easily 400 feet tall, literal walls of sand blocking the small shrubs and little trees from the worst of the sun during the day with their great shadows. The pool of water is only a few feet across, but it's enough that nearly any desert wanderer would kill for it. A strong enough sand storm could blow the top few feet off one of the massive dunes and eradicate the little oasis in an hour, making it a true miracle that the place has survived at all.

While it might not provide the best vantage point, a watch posted at the top of either dune could see for miles over the smaller dunes.

Dargos looks down at the oasis as if ready to rush down, but waits, looking it over warily. Jace for his part watches, following the lead of the more experiences desert travelers. His eyes seem more for the others around himself, and the distant sands behind them, watching their backs while the elves assess their find.
SinN
Aust smiles at the site of the oasis.

Thank the spirits. He says quietly to himself.

Staying near Huukena, while keeping some distance betweent her and Dargos, He makes his way slowly towards the water. Watching for an ambush of creature and man alike.
Lady Door
Hukenna nods towards Aust as they both begin their cautious descent to the oasis. Her eyes scan the waters surface, looking for the tell-tale bubbles that indicate life below.
Wilderness Lore Check/Survival
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
There's any number of creatures that could lurk within an oasis and not make airbubbles, but there does at least seem to be a lack of bubbling to calm the nerves somewhat. Dargos stays back and watches while Urgos makes his way down with Aust, Jace watching all. It's almost anticlimatic when nothing leaps up out of the brown water and tries to eat Aust.
Lady Door
"Well, ... damn.' Hukenna catches Aust watching her and smiles. "Sorry." She shrugs. "You have to admit... it would make for an interesting story." She kneels down before the water. "First things first... you all make sure nothing stabs me in the back or interrupts my casting. I'm going to clean this up a little before we all die of some sort of gut rot."
Confident that the others will heed her words, Hukenna begins to cast.
Spellcasting: Purify Food & Water
SinN
Aust nods and takes a stand behind her with one of his two daggers drawn. Prepared to fight creature or companion. Whoever decided to strike first.

While Huukena prepares her spell Aust quietly remarks while he knows she cant reply:

You're not as shrewd as you try to come off as you know. All this "caring about me." Smiling at his small victory.
fistandantilus4.0
The water purifies quickly, the sand clearing away leaving a clear pool. Thankfully, nothing lurks below the clear surface. To Huukena's knowledgeable eye, the sand below looks clean, free of much of the debris that would commonly fall into a small oasis in the desert. Besides the sand, this water looks to have been surprisingly clean even before being fully purified.

Urgos watches, giving a little "Ooooh" as the water clears, Jace and Dargos still waiting at the top, apparently waiting for some sign.
Lady Door
Hukenna stands, brushing the sand from her knees and hands. She doesn't bother to respond to Aust, just raises an eyebrow in a cool "Oh, is that so?" stare. She turns towards the two sentinels at the top of the dune, waving them down.
"It's safe. We should make camp and set watch quickly. This place, if its known, will be attracting all sorts by nightfall."
She favors Urgos with a smile, walking over to touch his massive arm. "Think you could gather some kindling? We'll need some sort of fire tonight."
SinN
Ill go with Urgos. Unless you have any argument my Chief?\

He looks to Huukena, wondering if she'll take him seriously in their on-going inside joke.
fistandantilus4.0
Urgos nods, although his expression says that he's not very sure what 'kindling' is. Probably just as well that Aust is going to be looking with him, since there really isn't anything in the wastes to burn besides the plants that are there at the oasis. Urgos may be utterly loyal, but he's also utterly stupid, and would probably spend hours wandering the desert.

A small camp is quickly made. The fire will be small at best, gathering a little of the dead vegetation and brush. Enough to heat something for a while, but certainly not a big enough fire to ward off anything.

By the time night is falling, Dargos is muttering something about forgetting to pack a fire cleric as well. A quick look from Huukena though, and she can tell he means it in jest more than having any real bitterness behind it. He's certainly never complained about wanting for a drink.

Urgos passes the time into evening making sand ziggarauts while Jace quietly sings an elven tale in very fluent elven. Before long, night's fallen, the camp going quiet. As long as Urgos' snoring doesn't attract any attention , they should have little trouble with anything besides scorpions.

As Huukena quietly sits her watch, Guthay beginning to rise in the night sky, she spots a large scorpion, perhaps eight inches long, dig its way out of the sand perhaps thirty feet off and sit there, looking at the small band.
SinN
Aust lays on his back, watching the night sky. He'd long ago gotten used to Urgos's snoring. So he, for the most part, could ignore it easily. Though he could already feel that it was going to be one of those nights where sleep was going to be difficult for no reason at all. He turns to his side to see Huukena taking her watch, and decides sleep may come easier after some conversation with an old friend.

He aproaches her quietly, but not too quietly to appear as if he's sneaking up on her. His the base of his skull had taken many bumps in the past to her natural reaction to any suprises out of sight. He takes a seat next to her, noticing her and the scorpion exchanging stares at one another.

What do you suppose it's thinking?
Lady Door
Hukenna looks back over her shoulder at the elf, shrugging. "Most likely it's debating whether or not it - or its hive - can take us." She stands and dusts off her hands. "Best not to take any chances."
Quietly, she begins to cast a protective circle against vermin. Casts 'Repel Vermin'.
SinN
Wouldn't be the first time a hive, or otherwise has sized us up, and lost. He pulls out his water skin, taking a pause before he drinks.

I found a rare oppurtunity to talk with you. Seems like its been ages since you and I have just talked as friends, and not as bussiness partners, or opponents for that matter. He chuckles.
fistandantilus4.0
The scorpion recoils skittering back in the dirt, then hisses. The creature suddenly shifts, it's form elongating, stretching, rising, quickly changing into the form of a tall, lean, dark skinned pterran, wearing loin cloth and bone, the skull carapace of a mastrial upon his head.
Better served, you would be, to save your prayers, priestess, to protect your own, instead of riling the creatures of the sand.

The pterran maintains his distance, looking at the two of them through the eye slits of the skull, holding a stout stave, but ready, but not threateningly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012