Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the Crimson Sun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
SinN
Austs eyes go wide a second, jaw drops, and raised eyebrows.

Bloody brilliant! A Pterran. I havent seen one since I was a boy.

Aust quickly stands and dusts the sand off himself. Though he is pleased to see the creature, he's also playing it smart.

It is a real pleasure. I am Aust of House Gholanadel. And this is Hukenna of the Je'ridai. We mean no harm, nor any disrespect towards you or your people. We're simply traveling through is all. May we know your name, kind Pterran?
fistandantilus4.0
The pterran cocks his head, as if trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with Aust.
I am neither your friend, or here for your amusement. From what I see you are still a boy, tromping around, oblivious to all. I ...

The pterran sighs, stalling in his tirade
I ... *sigh* you are elves , and so your ways are not mine. I sometimes forget the fascination the everyday holds to you. This should be ... better respected. The venomous tone slowly drains out of his words.

I am called 'Kef' by those that wander these sands. It will do. These are my lands. While you are not ... of my usual acquintance ... you respect the land and the desert. .... Differently.
SinN
Aust makes an effort to appear less hostile.

I assure you, Sir Kef, we're not here to disrespect your lands in the slightest. We give thanks to its blessings. And I apologise if I made it seem you were here for anyones amusement. I am familair with your kind, though still quite ignorent to your ways. Would you like to sit, and talk with us? Perhaps educate us about you and your lands, should you feel alright with that? We've got fresh water to share?
fistandantilus4.0
Aust - Diplomacy Test +2 (Likes the offer to share water)
Lady Door
For a long moment, Hukenna is simply too stunned to speak. What finally rouses her from shock is Aust's offer of water. Oh, for the love of... Flustered by her apparent lack of etiquette and words, she simply nods in agreement.
SinN
Diplomacy Roll
Roll-17
+3 for charisma mod
+2 for offering Water
Total-22 hits.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3218532/
fistandantilus4.0
The pterran nods, slowly taking a more neutral posture.
This pool has survived the desert and its raiders for many years. It's existance was threatened when I came on it. To many winds, to many nomads and raiders using it to feed their hunger while they preyed on others. The beasts of the land know how to take only enough to survive, and let the pool survive. Men know less.

Many years I have protected this place. Few are respectful and careful enough. There are many bones beneath these sands. Their flesh nourishes the soul. The lives of those that would despoil it feed it now.

I will take water with your. Your offer is given in good spirit. Let us sit and let us speak of the land and the water. And raiders.

The druid stoops, crouching on the balls of his large feet. He gestures, speaking a few words in the rolling tongue of the earth, sand quickly sliding this way and that, to reveal a large patch of green grass around the pool, somehow alive and fresh despite being beneath the sands.
SinN
Aust is stunned. He's never seen such healthy grass before, and none so green. He has to take a moment and touch it, get a feel for its fresh, and appealing landscape.

This is incredible...

Aust hesitates a moment, then asks;

May we sit here? It seems..sacred somehow.
fistandantilus4.0
The pterran nods, baring his teeth in what might be an amused style.

Your soft elf flesh will not damage the grass. This place is sacred, as much as the rest of the land is sacred. That is what too many city dwellers forget. This place is different because it must be protected. It nourishes the land and the creatures in it.
SinN
Aust sits, carefully. It still takes him a moment to take in that he's sitting on grass. Actual, green, lush grass. He picks up his water skin and offers it to Kef.

What else can you tell us about these lands? Surely you've seen much happen here.
fistandantilus4.0
You are in hunting territory. There is little vegetation here, only predators, and larger predators. Most, the smaller, will not bother you. Those that are large enough though...

If you had behaved differently, I may have left you to deal with the land as it sees fit. You are at the only water for miles, and many creatures know this place. You've shown respect, and so I will hide you from those that come in the night. Do not disturb them.

There have been some few raiders, your kind, two legs, not elves, that moved through here over the seasons. I have not seen them for some weeks though. They ride crodlu, raid the roads, then back into the desert. They do not show respect.
Lady Door
Hukenna nods at the Pterran's words. His report of the raiders is not news to her, not here at least. She spares a glance back over her shoulder at their companions, still nestled in the valley created by the dunes and seemingly - so far - unaware of their guest.

"We've heard of the raiders you speak of. They strike swiftly - viciously, and spare none. It is a blessing that they have not been seen here in some time.' She waits for the Pterran to take the offered skin, watching carefully how he receives the gift.
fistandantilus4.0
The druid takes the profferred skin carefully, holding the lip and the bottom, giving a bow of the head as he receives it. He mutters a quiet prayer to the spirits of the Land, then slowly pours the clear water to his mouth, taking only a little. With what may be a satisfied smile, he returns the water skin.

You carry good, pure water priestess. Let us take it as a good sign.

You have traveled far this day, yes? Some rest, I think is what is needed now. Rest here, let the spirits watch over you. Tomorrow the sun rises, bringing with it new challenges. Rest and take respite.
Lady Door
Hukenna nods. "Thank you, Kef. I think we will do as you suggest... our trip will not get any easier from here on out. It will be good to have a full nights' rest in us before we continue. We will leave your lands as we found them or better for our crossing." She stands, wiping sand from her palms and dress. The look she shoots Aust's way indicates strongly that he should do the same.
SinN
Aust stands, doing the same.

Thank you Kef. Your hospitality won't be forgotten. And as my friend has said, we will leave your lands exactly as we found it, or better. Hukenna?

Aust does his best to have a graceful exit.
fistandantilus4.0
The pterran nods with what might be a smile, stepping back until he literally dissapears into the sand.

The night is quiet, even the sounds of desert predators not reaching the group within the grassy depression. While the temperature plummets, the small patch of green seems to retain heat, making the night just a little more bearable. The evening passes quietly and withotu disturbance, the group waking again from the watch an hour or so before sun up.
fistandantilus4.0
*bump - thread resurrect
SinN
As the party begins packing up any supplies left out, Aust stops what he is doing and lets out a deep sigh.

I still do not trust him, but I need to smooth this over otherwise I could lose out on this deal. Hukenna is right. I need this steel. I need this to work.

Dargo, can you spare me a moment please?

He approaches the man quietly and looking to the grass. When he is standing in front of him he looks him in the eye.

Dargo, since we have met I have greeted you with unwarranted hostility and disrespect. While I can explain my behavior, and it has nothing to do with you in the slightest, I offer you no excuses for it. This type of temperament
is not my way. I have had time to reflect and I wanted to tell you that I am deeply sorry for the way I have been acting. And to assure you that I will not continue to do so in the future. What I am trying to say is, can we start over and at the very least be civil
business associates?

Aust holds out his hand towards Dargo.

Diplomacy +3
Charisma mod +2
Elf- -2
Noble -2
Roll 18
Total-19
fistandantilus4.0
Dargo looks completely taken aback as if not quite sure what he is hearing. His eyes narrow suspiciously, watching Aust even closer as if to discern a hidden meaning. Finally after a long pause he extends a hand, taking Aust by the forearm and shaking it , a little unfamiliar with the gesture.

Yes .... start new.... associates. We will .... do that. Yes. We should eh... head out. Close now. Very close. We will go and be .. "Civil".

Dargo moves to pack up the rest of his supplies occasionally glancing at Aust over his shoulder as if to figure out exactly what just happened and what Aust is playing at. He does seem less hostile however.
fistandantilus4.0
The troupe continues their trek across the desert, a few days journey seeming as if it takes years in the trackless wastes. Huukena's desert experience and Drago's directions guide them well enough however.

Before midday the group comes upon a lonely caravan trail, lightly used by the look of the nearly wiped out path. In the distance Aust can see the wreck of what might be a wagon, and the broken remains of what was once men and kanks strewn around the landscape.

Kanks? Huukena says, looking out over the battle sight. Why would the raiders kill the kanks? Why not just take them? It wouldn't have been predators. Nothing eats them. They smell worst than the sewer and rot faster than a puddle dries.

Dargo however is smiling happily.
You see!? It is here! I told you it would be here. Now ... we get rich!
SinN
Aust holds out a hand and looks on the wreckage suspiciously.

Hold on. We should approach this carefully. There could still be danger.

Hukenna is right. Something is missing here. Think Aust. Think. Look at the area. Put these eyes to work. What is wrong with this?

Spot +4
Elf Trait +2 to spot
Wisdom modifier +1
Roll= 12
Total= 19
fistandantilus4.0
It's no surprise the bodies are torn apart although a more discerning look reveals something disturbing. The remains of the guards aren't little more than bone and cloth. Normally desert scavengers would have picked them clean by now. What's more the wagon is utterly destroyed, it's contents scattered across the sand. There are even dozens of tell tale reflections of the light gleaming off what can only be metal.

Watching and waiting, Aust also notes the odd angle the wagon is sitting at, as if propped up on something. Large.
SinN
Aust places his finger over his lips and then points to the wagon.

He whispers: There is something under the wagon... Whatever that something is, the scavenger critters are steering clear of the bodies because of it.

Aust takes a few careful steps towards the wagon to try to get a closer look to identify what the large something is.

Move silently +7
Dex +5
Roll= 16
Total= 28

Spot +4
Elf Trait +4
Wisdom +1
Roll= 11
Total= 20

fistandantilus4.0
The group reacts cautiously, each in their own way. Jace moves to the side and slowly begins working his way up the nearby dune for a better vantage. Urgos immediately begins to move with Aust, stepping "lightly" before being stopped by Huukenna.

Heeeeey big guy.... how about you stay back here with me for ... just a moment. Let Aust go take a look and you can ... cover him from here.

Huukenna takes a moment to make sure Urgos listens before quietly beginning a prayer. Drago takes his bow from his back and quickly begins to string it.

Approaching closer, Aust at first can only make out there is indeed something large beneath the wagon. The hulking form seems to be laying down and is at least six or seven feet in height and has partially buried it's self in the sand. What he can see is the thick, almost chitinous black hide thick enough to be an impressive armor. As he moves closer he can also see the shard of metal littering the sand. Much of the metal seems to have been made from either tools or weapons. All of it he sees is broken, shattered, or somehow partially melted.
SinN
Lets hope this ends well. Here goes nothing.

Aust gives a signal for everyone to be ready. He slowly and quietly picks up one of the broken tools nearest him. He then casts Silent Image and creates an image of one of the guards wielding a spear ready to attack. Aust tosses the broken tool
near the image so that it will create a loud THUD! sound in the sand and get the creatures attention. Once it has it, the image will run the opposite direction of the party and attempt to lead the creature away.

fistandantilus4.0
The thump in the sand is ... anti-climatic, yet terrifying. Whatever it is stirs, a brief rumble like someone stirring in their sleep but even that shakes the entire wagon. Slowly, pieces of debris and broken bone that made up the wagon slowly start to slide. More of the creature is revealed. Whatever it is, it is large with a thick hide or shell ridged with spikes along what is likely its back. Aust can make out enough of it to see that it has forelimbs of some kind thicker than his legs and ending in what looks like a pair of massively thick claws although the ends are still buried in the sand. He can also see now the creature is wounded. Whomever or whatever defended the wagon put up a good fight. Black ichor oozes in a number of areas from wounds along it's limb and back.
SinN
Aust prepares to cast another spell.

Summon monster 1

He focuses on creating the fiendish hawk on the other side of the creature, out of view from the party. He creates it for the purpose of pecking and clawing at the large creature to rouse it awake. Once its awake, the hawk will fly towards the silent image
to seem as though the two are attacking it. Then lead it away.

Bluff check to pass the spells off as psionics
Bluff +4
Racial Bonus +2
Class Bonus +2
Charisma +2
Roll-14
Total= 24
fistandantilus4.0
A [b]roar[/i] like the pounding of thunder erupts as the massive beasts erupts from the sands, shattering the splintered remains of the wagon in a dozen directions. The beast is easily ten feet tall at the shoulder and half again as long. With four tree trunk like legs and claws thicker and longer than a man's arms it smashes its way clear of the debris, rending the air at the offending hawk out of pure rage and instinct.

The seems to shake as it roars again, then does shake when the beast turns on the fleeting image Aust provides. Wounded as it is the monster seems, if anything more terrifying.

Will save Vs Fear

AUST! Huukenna yells, RAMPAGER! RUN!!
SinN
Austs eyes go wide as he gets the full view of the best.

Will save vs Fear
Will +4
Roll- 17 (I fucking love these die)
Total- 21
fistandantilus4.0
The monster bellows as it starts after the immediate threat, charging head long ... then stops suddenly. Aust sees its head pick up facing towards the sky as it scents the wind. Suddenly what passes for its head, mostly a massive maw at the end of its body with flaring nostrils and burning green eyes whips around facing directly towards Aust.

The beast roars again sending acidic spittle spraying in his direction before it charges headlong in his direction.

1 Surprise Round as it charges: covering ground to reach Aust. Second round will be initiative.
SinN
Gotta bring it down, there's no way I can outrun it.

Hello beasty. Get off my gold mine.

Aust releases a burning sphere of fire at the rampager.

Damage roll for Flaming Sphere (2d6)
5, 4 = 9 total
fistandantilus4.0
The monster roars and charges through the flame, oblivious to the searing of its hide in its rage.

Initiative;4
SinN
Initiative Roll
Dex Mod +5
Roll- 10
Total 15

Aust draws his long bow, standing ready to move any direction he needs to avoid getting trampled.

Hukenna! Urgos! Jace! Give it everything you have! No fear!

He knocks on arrow in his bow and lets it fly towards the beast. Aiming directly for its eye.

Roll for ranged attack at the Rampagers eye.
Dex mod +5
Racial (tribal) +2 for Long bow
Called Shot -4
Roll= 19
Total= 22
fistandantilus4.0
Arrows streak in from the flanks and behind, some finding their mark while others glance off the thick hide or miss the charging beast entirely.

Aust is almost trampled between the charging monster and Urgos the half-giant nearly matches the rampager in ferocity.

Delfie! NO, MONSTER! DIE!RRRAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Urgos in a rage smashes his spiked tree into the rampager's maw with force enough to fell a charging crodlu. Hide and ichor fly but the monster barely slows and continues its charge at Aust despite the massive half-giant between them.
SinN
URGOS! Aust shouts. Watch out!

Roll for damage
Long Bow d8- 5
Strength mod +2
Total Damage= 7

Aust prepares to jump out of the way.
fistandantilus4.0
The rampager slams into Urgos, slashing at him and knocking the raging brute aside. It's claws come down on Aust, jaws snapping just behind as it goes for him in a made rage.

1 Hit, 1 Miss. Second claw attack was on Urgos. 13 Dmg +4 Acid Damage

17 for Round 3 Initiative
SinN
Urgos! Are you alright? Aust shouts over the roars of the beast.

In Austs mind, he is back in his time as a Night Runner. He drops his bow to the ground and draws his steel long sword in nearly one fluid movement.

Initiative Roll
Dex Mod +5
Roll= 9
Total= 14
fistandantilus4.0
The Rampager comes in on Aust in a fury slashing and trampling in a maddened rage.
1 hit, 2 misses, because of Power Attack and damage to the eye.
Dmg: 13+2 Acid
Reflex save as the acid from its claws eats away at his armor to save it.
fistandantilus4.0
Everything happens at once as Aust is mauled. Urgos slams his tree into the beast's head again as Jace actually leaps onto the creature's back, stabbing it with what looks like a piece of steel. Huukenna cries out her prayer and throws her hands forward shooting a jet of water into the creature's face almost hard enough to push it back, at least enough to slow it and hose off the burning acid.
SinN
Reflex save
Dex Mod +5
Reflex Save +4
Roll= 13
Roll= 22

Aust swings his blade as close to the beasts wounds as he can, wanting to drive the steel deep.

Roll to attack
Dex Mod for Weapon Finesse Feat +5
Base Attack +4
Roll= Nat 20
Total= 29

Roll for damage
1d8= 6
Power Attack Feat +4
Str Mod +2
Total= 12
fistandantilus4.0
The rampager bellow and shrieks as blade after blade finds its way into its hide just as Aust stabs forward, finding an opening in it's maw as it roars. The sword buries its self half into the roof of it's mouth just as Urgos slams his tree into the back of the thing's head. It still takes a long minute of the rampager slashing and flailing before it realizes it is dead and slumps unceremoniously into the sand.

Huukenna is there moment later applying soothing water to his burning wounds, still hot with acid where it carved into his skin.

Hold still.
17 HP healed

It's another minute before Urgos stops smashing the Rampager with his tree.
SinN
Aust rests a hand on hers for a moment. Thank you.

Once Hukennas healing is finished, Aust begins to look around doing a head count of his party.

Is everyone alright?

Aust looks at the wagon, and all of the contents scattered around, looking to appraise their reward.

Roll to look at "loot" and determine what the best stuff is.
Looters luck +2 spot for appraising the scattered loot. (if there is something there that is significantly better, it should stand out)
Spot +4
Elf Trait +4
Wisdom Mod +1
Roll= Nat 20
Total= 29
fistandantilus4.0
Of everyone, he, Urgos and Jace, who lept upon the monster's back had the worst of it. Jace has a collection of small cuts and large bruises from "riding" the rampager and being thrown to the ground. Urgos took another of fearsome claw swipes which Huukenna healing as she washes away the acid burns and mends his skin. By the way he glares at the dead beast the half-giant looks like he is ready to go round two with the thing.

The remains of the caravan guards and the raiders who attacked them weeks ago are little more than tatters, bone, and dried meat by now. The rampager came upon them before they could make off with their stolen goods and kept most of the desert scavengers away but the elements have done their work. The wagon is utterly destroyed along with the two kanks which pulled it. The contents are spread across the sand, steel weapons and iron tools, smashed, burned with acid, and even chewed on.

A thorough search reveals only a single long sword and a pair of steel daggers as well as a pair of iron pick axes which survived intact. The remains of the rest of the metal is strewn everywhere. While still worth a great deal the broken pieces don't have the same value as the finished products.

Drago looking about the wreck looks half elated, half devastated.
SinN
Aust surveys the wreckage as he takes the steel into account.

Shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. Still, we can salvage some coin from this.

We'll need to carry this back to the estate, estimate its value and Jace can figure out how much its worth. Jace, how much do you think you can sell the whole lot for?
fistandantilus4.0
Jace takes the time to start sifting through the wreck before answering right away.

Huukenna takes a look around as well but spends most of her time appraising Urgos and talking to him reassuringly. Once the half-giant is seen to she takes her bow up and moves up a nearby dune acting as look out.

Looks like this is the place people go to get ambushed she mutters as she trots off.

Jace comes back with a few shards of steel in his hand hefting them appraisingly.

Hard to say at a glance my Lord. It will depend on how much we can sift out of here I suppose but it looks like there were at least six steel blades and as many daggers. This was worth a fortune to whomever sent the shipment. We'll want to be careful where we advertise. Someone will be looking for it, if they aren't already.

I would say melting it down all together would be best. Not that I know where or how to do such a thing but we could ask around. This is still good steel. There are plenty of parties who would be interested certainly. I could hazard a guess the value of the steel alone to be thirty gold pieces, if we salvage enough. Hard to say though ultimately. That depends on the market and what we have to pay to fence it properly, not to mention finding buyers with deep pockets.

Drago for his part is already sifting through the sand picking up pieces of the steel. The reminder from Jace of other interested parties seems to have brought back some of his motivation.
SinN
Very good Jace. This is good news. We will need to find a discreet way to get this back into town or find a place to hide it nearby. Lets start sifting through the sand and find as many pieces as we can.

As Aust approaches Urgos he keeps a watchful eye out for anyone looking to ambush or approach them, taking Hukenna's input into consideration. Once he's standing in front of Urgos he slaps him on the back playfully.

Great job Urgos! You did great! None of this would have been possible without you, friend. I am certainly glad we brought you along with us. You really saved my skin back there. Are you okay?
Did Hukenna do a good job healing your wounds?

Spot check for ambushes or approaching individuals
Spot +4
Elf Trait +4
Wisdom Mod +1
Roll= 11
Total= 20
fistandantilus4.0
Urgos nods, still eyeballing the heap of dead rampager.

Yeah ... Pretty Lady good at fixing. Me good ... you ... need to slow down with questions. Too many. He smiles.
We show it, huh delfie?! Smash it good! .... Can we eat it?!

Jace looks suddenly concerned at the prospect.

There was a lot of venom and acid in that beast my Lord. I'd suggest against it. However ... I have heard the hide of the rampager could be worth quite a lot. Then there's the claws, the acid its self. We may be able to compensate for some of the losses from the creature. ... If we can find a way to carry some of it. I'm unsure of how much Urgos can carry. But the bones and claws would likely be strong materials, good for weapon crafting for example.

Jace is already busying himself gathering some of the venom.
SinN
Aust looks visibly impressed.

I hadn't considered that Jace. I am growing more and more grateful by the minute that I hired you. Is there anything anyone here can do to help with all of that?
fistandantilus4.0
Perhaps surprisingly Drago speaks up.
Skinning the beast ... yes , should not be much different than any other. Only we will need a finer blade. Stronger. He points to one of the steel daggers.

Maybe your big friend can move it so I can get to the parts I need to and make the cuts, yes?
SinN
Aust nods in agreement.

He calls out to Urgos. Urgos! Once Urgos is near them: Urgos I want you to help Jace and Drago with anything that they ask you to do. Can you do this for me?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012