Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Reclaiming the Void
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
BishopMcQ
Hey Folks--

So we are starting out with the four of you.

Fenris
Buddha72
MrAres
JxJxA

We may have a fifth adding on later (HeySparky) and will do recruitment as needed to fill in gaps.

Please post your backgrounds and character details here and we will get started.

Location and Date:
Los Angeles, March 14, 2072
MrAres
Does anybody have any particular character they are set on?? I've been wanting to do the drone/gadgeteer for a while so I'd like to call that. Maybe we could turn a day at the boys house into char gen?? I know I could use the refresher. Oh, and I've never done a PBP game before, so I've got no idea how this is supposed to go grinbig.gif
JxJxA
I was planning on making a Nahualli magician who hailed from Guadalajara, Aztlan, so go wild with drones and gadgets. smile.gif

I'd be up for a char building day. I think I can muddle my way through it, but I could use some help.
HeySparky
Posting to subscribe.

Howdy!

I've no idea what to play or even what's going on. biggrin.gif Anything I should know?
BishopMcQ
Sparky--Characters are being made this week. When your schedule clears, we can get a character made for you.
Fenris
I'll have to double check the boys schedule, but we could prolly do a couple of hours this Saturday afternoon, if that works for everyone?

As for character concepts, I'm going to do a social adept fox-shifter. I came up with the concept for a different PbP game that died off. I think T's also playing a Mage, so we've got a ton of magical juice floating around, which is awesome. I'll prolly do some close combat since I'm an adept.

It means Michael's character is prolly going to have to run the dual positions of rigger and hacker, but we can help you out with the specifics, don't be afraid biggrin.gif

Any idea who you wanted to eventually bring to the mix Sparky?
Buddha72
I would be down for a character building session this weekend. I was going to do a Pixie Magician (think Mighty Mouse with bolts of arcane power) who was in the same thread with the Fox Shape Shifter. I will dig around and find the character, might tweak it to better fit this game but the concept will remain the same.

Thanks Stephen for helping me scratch my SR itch!!
HeySparky
No idea, Fen! I'd say it depends on what the team is about. I don't have any concepts that I'm burning up to play... just want to get immersed in the world and play a character.
HeySparky
I had a thought at lunch that it would sorta be cool to be a news crew. Drone/gadgeteer is the camera man, social adept is on-camera talent, pixie could be wardrobe/make-up/bodyguard biggrin.gif

Not sure what a Nahualli magician is, but maybe he/she IS the story, or a guide? That'd leave security/weapons/B&E... happy to do that side.

Even if that's not a good concept for the group, or McQ has different ideas, I'd still happily do weapons/B&E. Or if we wanted to be all magic-y (gadgeteer excepted), I'd go for that too. Like I said, depends on why the team was formed or IF it was formed for a reason (and if the crew knows eachother).
Buddha72
So IMcQ were you putting us in a game or making something to wrap around what we come up with?
Redjack
I can't believe you guys are kicking up a game and didn't invite me. frown.gif
Fenris
So, it looks like so far we've got:

MrAres - Goblin drone rigger gadgeteer [Are you up for doing the hacking thing to? A lot of the gear / skills overlap now]
JxJxA - Nahualli (that's a tradition, right? Not a race?) magician from Azatlan [where are you going to focus? Combat mage? Utility? Summoning? Defensive?]
Buddha72 - D'zan - Pixie combat mage [are you a mage-lite with a spread of other skills, or pretty focused on the magic thing?]
Fenris - Argent - Fox shifter close combat adept / Face
HeySparky - unknown

Does that sum it up correctly?

Hey Stephen, the original character concept was pretty tied up with local stuff in LA. I want to make sure my flaws are valid, so should I switch from the University of California stuff? I assume they don't have a presence in Seattle, assuming Seattle is where we're playing? Do we know that yet?

Redjack - If it helps, it's basically our RL gaming crew plus Karen (Sparky). We had wanted to keep it small and manageable in the beginning, so we figured that if we couldn't just slap you the next time you came to our gaming group next week, it wasn't going to work biggrin.gif
JxJxA
Yeah, Nahualli is a magic tradition based off of the Aztec religion. They're a bit like shamans but with a mentor spirit representing your animal twin. Uetzcayotl Tlaloc (Essence of Light of the Earth in Nahuatl) is human and I'm making him well rounded to start, but I'll work on healing. Think a mesoamerican druid who isn't in to all the blood sacrifice stuff. spin.gif
HeySparky
Wow. It's a zoo.

Should I be a keeper or a critter?

EDIT: Also, Redjack, I'm back really only for McQ's game... my spot is 'extra'.
Buddha72
So D'zan is going to be pretty magic focused with a penchant for illusion and manipulation.

Hi Redjack! You should throw in a concept for Fenris's game recruitment thread. wink.gif
BishopMcQ
Buddha--I'm making a game to fit the characters.

Fenris--I'll leave it up to the group to decide--LA and all the fun that entails, or Seattle and all the rain that entails?

Buddha72
LA works for me.
Fenris
Same here.
JxJxA
I like LA. That means less time Uetz spends on the bus (because the bus SUCKS!).
Fenris
In case nobody mentioned it, Redjack, we talked with Bishop and managed to convince him to take on another player. So, you're good biggrin.gif Toss your hat in with the rest of us.
BishopMcQ
Yep, I was travelling yesterday to get to Origins and sent out the PM this morning.
Redjack
I didn't mean to guilt myself into the game. While I would love to play, I respect the close group membership.
Redjack
Though I will play if you really want to open it up. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Ok. Got additional details from Bishop. I'm g2g. I see a rigger, two mages and a face/adept so far. Looks like you either need a real combat monkey or a full on hacker? Let me know which you prefer or which one Sparky isn't. wink.gif
Fenris
That's probably a question for Sparky. Any idea what you're looking for, Hun?
MrAres
I put my vote in for LA. I've never got to play in that setting, and I'm looking forward to running into the LAPD, the "Biggest gang in LA!"
Redjack
LA has Horizon and PITO. Let's be sim stars!
HeySparky
Sweet, LA. I really need to read the LA material, since I live there now I can make some sense of it. smile.gif

Redjack, I'm not good with Hacking. I'm thinking combat/b&e if those don't fight too much. And I've just felt liberated from my usual pro-human biases. Chargen is wide open. biggrin.gif
Fenris
Sparky - You live in LA ?? Why haven't we done anything yet? You guys should totally come down or something?

I'm not saying anybody has to, but there's no reason we couldn't ressurect the old LA crew? I mean, Torrey and I are already playing those old characters.
HeySparky
Haha, I guess I didn't realize you didn't know. biggrin.gif I imagine I'll get down to your neck of the woods some time, but for now trying to focus on getting work.

About the LA crew... I liked Smoke, though I'm not in her head any more (and I'm over my fleeting preoccupation with parkour). I'd like a fresh start and a more focused character (and one whose background I like). Maybe McQ could epilogue that chapter as the crew's 'first run' wherein they realize they need some muscle and bring in Smoke's replacement (is Smoke dead? did she have to cut out of town?).

Thoughts?

Redjack
When I noticed the crew, I almost dusted off Red as well, especially given the need for a hacker. In the end, I elected Papa, troll combat-hacker.
Fenris
Sounds like both group modifications could have come from a particularly violent encounter that went poorly. When the dust settled, Argent and D'zan looked at other and realized either wanted a repeat. I would explain the shift in my character towards something a bit more combat oriented as well.
Redjack
Papa Smurf is looking for a new team. Most of his last team is retired, several permanently. Word on the street is that their last fixer sold them out. Word also is that the same fixer had a disagreement with a local ganger and found himself gutted like a pig in an alley. Word is anyway.

EDIT: For a small monthly fee, you can subscribe to his PITO feed and get the scoop. Platinum members get access to historic footage.
HeySparky
Keeping us on the front page. How're the new characters coming?
JxJxA
We had a char building session this Saturday, so the PCs should be 90-100% complete. Now I think we're working on gear question.gif
Fenris
I've got Argent pretty much finished too.
BishopMcQ
I have characters for RedJack and JxJxA. If you've sent me a character and not one of those two, please resend it to me.
Buddha72
WELCOME BACK!!!

I will email my character this weekend. Did you want us to do any history posts or short character intro/info in this thread?
Fenris
And do we send you our extended background of the last two years for contacts, etc. directly, or do you want it posted here?
BishopMcQ
Either email them to me or post them here if you want other people to tie themselves in.
HeySparky
I need a tie-in.

My PC is a tiger-shifter, recently shifted for the first time. She is just a few years old (an adult) and had been part of private zoo/circus in the LA area until Something Terrible happened (IE - she's now a man eater and not in the way that Hall & Oates meant). She'll be a combat type, not sure yet just what area. She's gonna be learning basically everything about getting along in the bipedal world and embraces some of it while dismissing other bits as superfluous.

I need ideas on how to get from private zoo to shadowrunning crew.

Thoughts?
Redjack
One of my runs could have been to free you...
Buddha72
My character and Fenris's work to protect Awakened 6th World and you would qualify. We could have set up the run to free you since Fenris's pretty Face-like and could swing it.
Fenris
I'm all about Shifter rights and recognition, so if I found out I definitely would've pushed the group to free you. And if you're hot, I definitely would have tried to keep you around biggrin.gif
Redjack
Sounds like this could have been a good introduction run for the team.
Buddha72
Sweet!

The delay in the thread getting started is with me, Fenris and I think Mr.Ares. Going to try to get the characters to the GM ASAP this week. Sorry all!
JxJxA
Here's the history involving Uetzcayotl AKA Quetzalcoatl:

[ Spoiler ]
MrAres
Bah, super sorry I'm lagging on this. Some things happened at work and suddenly I'm working 7 days a week. Should be back to manageable level pretty soon. I forgot to grab the template you guys used to build your electronic char sheets, so if any one could point me towards those it'd be much appreciated biggrin.gif . Oh and Buddha, do you think you could send me the pic you showed me, the one with the drone pouring the coffee? I think i would like to use that for my char.
Buddha72
I will email you that picture right now and I sent my history and char sheet to the GM this very day so hopefully we can get the thread started next week sometime. smile.gif
Fenris
So, here's some one of the background posts Torrey and I are working on right now. Expect more of them to come up over the next few days as we finish hashing out details.

[ Spoiler ]

I've got some personal history notes I want to toss out to develop some of my contacts more, and three more 'run' posts. To give a brief timeline, based on what JxJxA posted, there are the other three runs, available for tie-in's if anybody wants to write one up as part of their background.

April 2071 - Realizing that they needed a bit more muscle if they were going to keep running the shadows, Argent and Dzan went through an outside fixer to meet a few people that shared their odd moralistic bent towards the Awakened 6th world. They found themselves on a run to track down the source of some actually radioactive material being dumped in a lacuna, and paired up with an odd little gnome, a troll combat hacker, and a South American Druid. At the site, they bumped into a toxic shaman in the process of building up a power base among the mutated creatures and spirits. Dispatching him, the group managed to track the source back to a small local bleeding edge arms manufacturer that had cracked open an old underground bunker full of oddly advanced tech from before the first crash and dozens of barrels of old fashioned radioactive waste from a small, now defunct nuclear power plant.

November 2071 - Having found a decent team to keep working with, the group had taken a quick and simple recon run to find out what was going on at a new highly secretive facility on the outskirts of LA. Once there, they discovered that the University of California had shifted its Awakened Fauna research out to the facility, and that the researchers were currently poking and prodding at a tiger shifter they'd gotten a hold of in the wake of some incident at the local zoo. Quick to get the man-eater off their hands, the zoo hadn't asked too many questions. When Argent found out what was going on, he'd literally lost it, charging into the facility and forcing the rest of the group to go along purely because they were too far outside of town to escape if they didn't shut down pursuit. The group, especially Argent, had gotten beat pretty badly, since the researchers were prepped with silver batons and the like, but they'd rescued the tiger shifter and escaped. The run had been contracted by Niaomi, Argent's primary fixer, and it put a bit of egg on her face an tarnished Argent's rep a bit, but he'd only apologized that others had gotten hurt. He's been apologizing and offering small gifts to the group to make up for it since.

June 2072 - Being a solid group now, with the tiger shifter added to the mix, the group had been hired for an odd run. A local mascot, a 15' long boa, had been abducted from a high school. Since the school had a high profile sports department, it had been worth someone's time to pay the group to retrieve it. They'd even insisted on offering two more runners, two human street sams, to help flesh out the team. The group had agreed, and tracked down the snake to a boat off shore, where it was being held by a rival school. Once they got out there, however, the group realized that the boa was Awakened and sentient. Dzan and Argent had shifted gears then, planning on freeing the creature and smuggling it back to it's habitat. The two humans disagreed, wanting to get paid and not tarnish their reputation, and when a brief scuffle ended with one of them accidentally killing the snake, Dzan had lost it. He'd fried both of them and tossed their bodies overboard before anyone could intervene. Argent stood beside him against any criticism, but after the run they'd had a long talk. It was after that that a second pixie, named Leo, had arrived at the apartment building they were renting out. Leo seemed like the polar opposite of Dzan, compassionate, pacifistic, and kind, but it was obvious the two were a couple, and that Leo had a sort of calming effect on Dzan like fire and water cancelling themselves out.

Again, these are just general ideas. If anyone wants to run with one to flesh out their character, knock yourself out. Otherwise we're going to write them up to flesh out D'zan and Argent. As I mentioned, I'll also be posting some snippets and pieces from Argent's personal life during the two years.
JxJxA
Wow, if Uetz was in on the June 2072 run, there's going to be issues between him and D'zan for the latter frying two innocents. The pixie is out of the deepweed sessions with Rene and Etain. ;-p
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012