Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The definitive answer to Spirits and Stun Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Lanlaorn
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 30 2010, 11:29 AM) *
Nah, slay/slaughter spirit/s is a much better idea grinbig.gif

Actually the dev FAQ says that Control Thoughts (and other mind manipulations) work on Spirits so IMO that would be the best choice. Even a Force 12 spirit is rolling only 12 dice on it's willpower check and once controlled it doesn't get another chance to break free for Force (of the spell) combat turns, so yea. Telling it to kill the mage that summoned it will probably be in line with its own desires too, heh.

And a Magician really should have at least one Combat or Manipulation spell, to go to the Matrix analogy again this would be like a Hacker without Exploit or Spoof.
Walpurgisborn
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 30 2010, 12:31 PM) *
FYI: I was mistaken. Force 6 spirits (and up) are immune. Force 6 spirits are (generally considered) not that hard to summon.

oh

ummm

sorry.

TommyTwoToes
For me, its not so much about how the rules are written (and I know someone will yell "MOAR RAW!") but rather the fluff. I can't justify a SnS round affecting an Air Spirit any more than a baseball would. Nor can I see how a laser would harm a fire spirit, but thats just me.
Traul
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 30 2010, 05:48 PM) *
Instead I guess it's more fun to:
1. Interpret the rules in a way that makes SnS rounds OP as hell.
2. Complain about how powerful SnS rounds are and ban them from your games.

You got it all wrong. Spirit zapping is the only case where SnS are not overpowered, but just fair. Your interpretation does not make SnS more balanced, it removes the only reason to keep it in the game.

As for SnS fixes, why not make it a shotgun round? After all, those batteries must take space, and once you cannot load it in pistols it sounds more balanced for its nuyen price.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 30 2010, 11:44 AM) *
You got it all wrong. Spirit zapping is the only case where SnS are not overpowered, but just fair. Your interpretation does not make SnS more balanced, it removes the only reason to keep it in the game.

As for SnS fixes, why not make it a shotgun round? After all, those batteries must take space, and once you cannot load it in pistols it sounds more balanced for its nuyen price.

And when you glitch while firing, the rest of the players get to say "In Soviet Russia, Stick-n-Shock shocks you!"
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Jun 30 2010, 12:34 PM) *
This, to me captures the core of why I do not allow such weapons to have special dispensation against ItNW.

So you don't allow it because you want magic to be immune to the mundanes. Now only if the mundanes could be immune to magic..

Doesn't seem very balanced to me, I can make things that can effect you and which you have no defense against and you can't do anything about it. Oh and everything you can do I can both duplicate and defend against. Apparently the Spellslingers Union bribed the right officials.
DireRadiant
It has Skillz, Attributes, Armor and Damage Tracks.

I have Skillz, Attributes, and DV.

I can shoot It.
Lanlaorn
I think the idea was to have Drones be a huge hassle for Mages in the way Spirits are for mundanes. But it's a lot easier to beat the object threshold than to beat the ITNW so that didn't work out.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 30 2010, 09:47 AM) *
Apparently the Spellslingers Union bribed the right officials.

As a Member of Spellslingers local #42, Seattle, I deny these allegations. We would not now, nor have we ever bribed anyone. What our Aztlan brothers did to the officials families while on vacation has nothing to do with our union.

BlueMax
biccat
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 30 2010, 05:33 PM) *
The one mentioned in the rules for Hardened Armor has, you know the rules ITNW tells you to see for how "hardened protection" wotks [sic].

This Immunity Armor
We are talking about Immunity Armor, not hardened armor, not regular armor, but Immunity Armor.

is treated as
The armor is treated in a certain way. That means that some rules will apply while others will not. If the authors had intended this to be the same, they would have simply written "The Critter has Hardened Armor equal to 2 x Magic against certain attacks." Without more, we don't know what those limitations are, and therefore should apply the appropriate rules as written.

"hardened" protection
This is a reference to what the "Immunity Armor" is treated as. Interesting that the author uses quotes around the word "hardened" and writes "protection" instead of "armor," as it is used in the "Hardened Armor" entry. Quotes are often used to indicate that a word is being used in a nonstandard way (or for a variety of other purposes: indicating speech, citing materials, providing a nickname, use distinction, or irony. None of these apply). Therefore, we are left to assume that this isn't "Hardened Armor," but that the author intends to use it as illustrative of some elements.

(see Hardened Armor above),
A parenthetical, intended to explain or reference some other part of the book. In this case, the author is letting you know that you can see this rule immediately above the present one. Very convenient.

meaning that
The author is introducing an explanatory phrase, to clarify what he meant by "treated as". Lets read on.

if
A conditional statement, generally in the format "if...then" or "if...then...else".

the Damage Value
This appears to be the first element of the condition. We can look up Damage Value elsewhere, the author is assuming that this word, with unusual capitalization, has specific meaning to the reader.

does not exceed
If the Damage Value is equal to or less than some as-yet-unspecified value, some condition will be satisfied.

the Armor,
This is the value we are comparing to "the Damage Value". Note the presence of the comma, it indicates that this is either the beginning of a list or that the condition is at an end. Since the only other "Armor" we see in this sentence is "Immunity Armor", it very likely refers to that value. Note also the lack of the word "rating" to modify "Armor."

then
We now know that the condition is either met or not, if it is met, proceed. Otherwise, we'll have to look for an "else" or some other conditional context.

the attack
This is implicitly defined, however knowledgeable readers will know that "Damage Value" implies that there was an attack that occurred.

automatically
Without other action.

does no damage.
Will not damage the target, no way, no how.
Lucyfersam
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 30 2010, 11:47 AM) *
So you don't allow it because you want magic to be immune to the mundanes. Now only if the mundanes could be immune to magic..

Doesn't seem very balanced to me, I can make things that can effect you and which you have no defense against and you can't do anything about it. Oh and everything you can do I can both duplicate and defend against. Apparently the Spellslingers Union bribed the right officials.

I don't much care for balance actually, mundanes should not be balanced against magic. That's why it's magic, it's better than mundane. If I want a system bowing down to balance as all important, I'll go play DnD 4th ed.

Besides, A drone or vehicle system is mundane and will still raise hell with a magician even if it has spirits, as they are not going to be much more effective against a good drone than they are against the spirit, and the drone then is mostly free to focus on the mage.
biccat
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 30 2010, 05:38 PM) *
There are a limited number of definitions of Armor in Shadowrun, each of which was treated in the argument. The statement you are making, if I have you correctly, is that Immunity to Normal Weapons is a new, special, and differently-ruled type of Armor?

No, it's the same armor as everything else, only a different type (much like an Armored Jacket is a different type of armor than Armored Clothing). ITNW has an "Armor" number and a "Armor rating" number. The "Armor" number is what you start with, "Armor rating" is the armor modified by the A.P.

Usually the book refers to either "ballistic armor" or "impact armor", but there are a few cases where it just refers to "armor", intending it to cover both.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Jun 30 2010, 09:02 AM) *
I don't much care for balance actually, mundanes should not be balanced against magic. That's why it's magic, it's better than mundane. If I want a system bowing down to balance as all important, I'll go play DnD 4th ed.

Besides, A drone or vehicle system is mundane and will still raise hell with a magician even if it has spirits, as they are not going to be much more effective against a good drone than they are against the spirit, and the drone then is mostly free to focus on the mage.

Lucy,
I too don't care for balance. What does happen though, is that if its pointless to play something , nobody will play it. And if nobody plays it, page space for that aspect of the game is wasted. I know the problem, our group has a stack of mages and technomancers now, with one mundane.

How will a drone bother a mage? Cast force 9 combat spell, beat threshold 3(or 4) watch drone go boom. Right?

BlueMax
Ascalaphus
I think the Anniversary edition makes it even more obvious how ItNW works;

QUOTE (SR4A, p. 295)
Hardened Armor
Hardened armor is even tougher than normal armor. If the modified Damage Value of an attack does not exceed the Armor rating (modified by Armor Penetration), then it bounces harmlessly off the critter; don't even bother to make a Damage Resistance Test. Otherwise, Hardened Armor provides both Ballistic and Impact armor equal to its rating.

Immunity
A critter with Immunity has an enhanced resistance to a certain type of attack or affliction. The critter gains an "Armor rating" equal to twice its Magic against that damage. This Immunity Armor is treated as "hardened" protection (see Hardened Armor above), meaning that if the Damage Value does not exceed the Armor, then the attack automatically does no damage. Additionally, this "armor rating" is added to the damage resistance test as normal armor.
Immunity to Age (...)
Immunity to Normal Weapons: This immunity applies to all weapons that are not magical (weapon foci, spells, adept or critter powers). If the critter has the Allergy weakness, then the immunity does not apply to attacks made using the allergen.

Underlines mine. These two paragraphs are literally right after each other on the same page, so I don't think there's any reason to say they weren't meant to refer to each other less than completely. The Hardened Armor passage is also in the Critter powers section, so I don't think they were confusing it with "real" hardened armor.

So yeah, if a weapon has AP: (-100%), that means it would bypass ItNW. Does that make SnS silly? Sure, but fixing that is a matter for house rules.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (biccat @ Jun 30 2010, 04:57 PM) *
This Immunity Armor
We are talking about Immunity Armor, not hardened armor, not regular armor, but Immunity Armor.

is treated as
The armor is treated in a certain way. That means that some rules will apply while others will not. If the authors had intended this to be the same, they would have simply written "The Critter has Hardened Armor equal to 2 x Magic against certain attacks." Without more, we don't know what those limitations are, and therefore should apply the appropriate rules as written.

"hardened" protection
This is a reference to what the "Immunity Armor" is treated as. Interesting that the author uses quotes around the word "hardened" and writes "protection" instead of "armor," as it is used in the "Hardened Armor" entry. Quotes are often used to indicate that a word is being used in a nonstandard way (or for a variety of other purposes: indicating speech, citing materials, providing a nickname, use distinction, or irony. None of these apply). Therefore, we are left to assume that this isn't "Hardened Armor," but that the author intends to use it as illustrative of some elements.

(see Hardened Armor above),
A parenthetical, intended to explain or reference some other part of the book. In this case, the author is letting you know that you can see this rule immediately above the present one. Very convenient.

meaning that
The author is introducing an explanatory phrase, to clarify what he meant by "treated as". Lets read on.

if
A conditional statement, generally in the format "if...then" or "if...then...else".

the Damage Value
This appears to be the first element of the condition. We can look up Damage Value elsewhere, the author is assuming that this word, with unusual capitalization, has specific meaning to the reader.

does not exceed
If the Damage Value is equal to or less than some as-yet-unspecified value, some condition will be satisfied.

the Armor,
This is the value we are comparing to "the Damage Value". Note the presence of the comma, it indicates that this is either the beginning of a list or that the condition is at an end. Since the only other "Armor" we see in this sentence is "Immunity Armor", it very likely refers to that value. Note also the lack of the word "rating" to modify "Armor."

then
We now know that the condition is either met or not, if it is met, proceed. Otherwise, we'll have to look for an "else" or some other conditional context.

the attack
This is implicitly defined, however knowledgeable readers will know that "Damage Value" implies that there was an attack that occurred.

automatically
Without other action.

does no damage.
Will not damage the target, no way, no how.

Your semantic argument is without flaw, and it's end result is that you are treating Immunity to Normal Weapons as a new type of Armor to go with the Armor, Hardened Armor, and Mystic Armor critter powers. You are presenting the exact argument that I was attempting to prove or disprove by making a mathematical-type proof. Basically, if what you say is the case (as I thought), then prove it by re-deriving it using the other rules in the books. This exercise lead me to a different conclusion, but if you don't agree with the concept of a proof-style argument holding weight here, that's fine.
Lucyfersam
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Jun 30 2010, 12:09 PM) *
Lucy,
I too don't care for balance. What does happen though, is that if its pointless to play something , nobody will play it. And if nobody plays it, page space for that aspect of the game is wasted. I know the problem, our group has a stack of mages and technomancers now, with one mundane.

How will a drone bother a mage? Cast force 9 combat spell, beat threshold 3(or 4) watch drone go boom. Right?

BlueMax

I'll grant that the threshold system is not quite as strong as I'd like it to be (though drones are defined on the table to be 5+, not 3 or 4, which is not trivial, and for combat drones I typically use that + to make them 6 as I figure they are designed with high tech materials in general and done even more so for the added magic protection).

However, running things the way I do, I have 1 full mage, 1 mystic adept, 1 adept, 3 mundanes with ware, and 1 otaku (I re-wrote the technomancer rules because I hate them with a passion). So I guess it comes down to group style at that point.
Ol' Scratch
Wait. People were assuming that spirits were either immune to stun damage based on fiction? (Sorry, I kinda skimmed over the original post. All those annoying spoiler tags were making me want to punch someone in the face.) Seriously. Stop assuming fluff text, stories, and badly written fiction equates to rules. They never, ever, ever do. And in far too many cases, those authors are pulling it all straight out of their nether regions simply because they think it sounds "kewl."

(And why, oh why, out of all those damn spoiler tags, is the reference to the Chicago text not cited?)
Lanlaorn
Your semantic argument is without flaw, and it's end result is that you are treating Immunity to Normal Weapons as a new type of Armor to go with the Armor, Hardened Armor, and Mystic Armor critter powers. You are presenting the exact argument that I was attempting to prove or disprove by making a mathematical-type proof. Basically, if what you say is the case (as I thought), then prove it by re-deriving it using the other rules in the books. This exercise lead me to a different conclusion, but if you don't agree with the concept of a proof-style argument holding weight here, that's fine.

Your argument is not "mathematical-type" and it's actually somewhat insulting to mathematical proofs to even insinuate that.

Rules must be interpreted as they are written not "derived" by linking unrelated other rules into a conglomerate that vaguely resembles what you want it to say. God I wish the image tags worked with Monday's XKCD comic. In exception based rules systems you can't even pretend to work on prior precedent like this.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 30 2010, 06:20 PM) *
Rules must be interpreted as they are written not "derived" by linking unrelated other rules into a conglomerate that vaguely resembles what you want it to say.

Why?

The question here is simple enough - Do projectile weapons with special resistances to Impact armor (SnS, stun batons, firin' mah lazorz) affect spirits more readily despite ITNW?

One field says yes - that by definition of armor rules, combat rules, critter rules and spirit rules, these weapons stand a chance against spirits (albeit not fantastic ones).

One field says no - ITNW is a class all but separate from all other armors.

Which field is the correct one? Both have taken the rules as written and interpreted them differently.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 30 2010, 06:20 PM) *
Your argument is not "mathematical-type" and it's actually somewhat insulting to mathematical proofs to even insinuate that.

Rules must be interpreted as they are written not "derived" by linking unrelated other rules into a conglomerate that vaguely resembles what you want it to say. God I wish the image tags worked with Monday's XKCD comic. In exception based rules systems you can't even pretend to work on prior precedent like this.

I read the xkcd comic, and it was quite funny. My arguments are certainly not rigorously mathematical, but the same type of if-than logic was what I was aiming for.

Rules, to be interperted as written, must use terms with specific meaning. These terms will refer to other rules, and once the logic governing those rules has been decided upon, their definitions can be applied to the rule in question.

The exception-based rule system argument you present is valid, so the outcome you are championing requires INWp to be a new type of "hardened" that is a self-enclosed exception. Given that it references Hardened Armor, and then summarizes that entry, it can be argued that it is not an exception, but a reference. If you accept that conclusion, then the proof holds out. If you don't, then your result holds out. I did my best to show why it should be treated as a reference.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 30 2010, 06:17 PM) *
(Sorry, I kinda skimmed over the original post. All those annoying spoiler tags were making me want to punch someone in the face.)

(And why, oh why, out of all those damn spoiler tags, is the reference to the Chicago text not cited?)

Sorry, I used the spoiler tags to keep the entry from being gigantic. I didn't realize people found them annoying.

The reference to the Chicago text was not cited because I don't have Bug City.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Jun 30 2010, 06:17 PM) *
However, running things the way I do, I have 1 full mage, 1 mystic adept, 1 adept, 3 mundanes with ware, and 1 otaku

You have that slightly wrong. You have 1 full mage, 1 mystic adept, 1 adept, 1 otaku, 2 mundanes with ware, and 1 mundane with gear and no ware.
Yerameyahu
It seems clear that ItnW is anything not magical, regardless of being taser, laser, bullet, or blade. I'm not sure that AP affects it, but I can see why people might decide that it does.

I would prefer to say that you need to beat the immunity with Base DV + Net Hits, but if playtesting shows that to be inadequate, allowing AP would be reasonable. If further playtesting shows *that* to be problematic, you could consider capping AP (-3, or -half, etc?).
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Jun 30 2010, 12:02 PM) *

See, the idea of balance is an interesting one.* In the context of ShadowRun the fulcrum should be that each option (in this case: mundane weapons, spells, spirits, etc.) each have something that they're good at taking down (and is not itself) and is weak to something else.

E.G. Rock beats paper, paper beats scissors, and sc--

Er. Wow, my head is clearly somewhere odd. Let me try again.

E.G. Rock beats scissors, scissors beats paper, and paper beats rock.

Which means even if it takes paper 3 turns to beat rock, but scissors only needs one to beat paper, there's still balance. Paper beats rock and scissors does not.

Mages can beat spirits, yes, but they also summon spirits thereby invalidating the idea of balance that mages are good against spirits (in RPS terms its trying to argue that Rock beats Rock--it doesn't work that way). If mages are "weak" to drones, then what are drones "weak" to? Mundanes? Hardly! Drones are mundane, non-magical, lead-throwing machines, just like the cybersam! Except slightly more resistant to some classes of spells (and weaker to others).

Spirits are supposed to be the support a mage brings in in order to beat another mage. A mage can't throw spells at a mage very well, mundanes can't identify the mage (so can't geek him first). A spirit on the other hand is "strong" versus mages (due to having powers that mages can't counter). Unfortunately it's also "strong" versus mundanes, throwing our entire RPS model out the window.

*Alternatively we can make everything super-overpowered in such a way that it will take decades for people to figure out which combo is the most overpowered, at which point the game will have already died from natural causes.
Mäx
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Jun 30 2010, 08:17 PM) *
I'll grant that the threshold system is not quite as strong as I'd like it to be (though drones are defined on the table to be 5+, not 3 or 4, which is not trivial, and for combat drones I typically use that + to make them 6 as I figure they are designed with high tech materials in general and done even more so for the added magic protection).

Thats only a problem for direct combat spell, indirect ones fry droned nicely.
Lucyfersam
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 30 2010, 01:25 PM) *
Thats only a problem for direct combat spell, indirect ones fry droned nicely.

Indirect combat spells face the drones armor, which is usually significant, and always hardened, and at that point are facing the same problem that drones face against spirits.
Ol' Scratch
The issue is cleared up really easily by just looking at any number of direct references on the subject.

Street Magic p. 94, Disruption: "If a spirit in astral or materialized form suffers Physical or Stun damage sufficient to fill its damage track, the spirit is disrupted. [...] Watchers are never disrupted; knocking them out permanently destroys their fragile energies."

I really don't see how there's any argument about it.
DireRadiant
You know what we need?

To combat spirits ITNW Armor we need ITNW DV!

Even better...

Pink Armor is vulnerable to Pink DV!
Red Armor is vulnerable to Red DV!
Green Armor is vulnerable to Yellow DV! (Just for a change...)
Mäx
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Jun 30 2010, 09:35 PM) *
Indirect combat spells face the drones armor, which is usually significant

Highest armor a stock drone has is 12 and as indirect combat spells used are usually elemental that is halfed to 6, i wouldn't exactly call that significant.
That's avarage of 2 damage resisted, addindg the drones body of 4 raises that to 3 damage resisted.
Lucyfersam
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 30 2010, 01:08 PM) *
See, the idea of balance is an interesting one.* In the context of ShadowRun the fulcrum should be that each option (in this case: mundane weapons, spells, spirits, etc.) each have something that they're good at taking down (and is not itself) and is weak to something else.

E.G. Rock beats paper, paper beats scissors, and sc--

Er. Wow, my head is clearly somewhere odd. Let me try again.

E.G. Rock beats scissors, scissors beats paper, and paper beats rock.

Which means even if it takes paper 3 turns to beat rock, but scissors only needs one to beat paper, there's still balance. Paper beats rock and scissors does not.

Mages can beat spirits, yes, but they also summon spirits thereby invalidating the idea of balance that mages are good against spirits (in RPS terms its trying to argue that Rock beats Rock--it doesn't work that way). If mages are "weak" to drones, then what are drones "weak" to? Mundanes? Hardly! Drones are mundane, non-magical, lead-throwing machines, just like the cybersam! Except slightly more resistant to some classes of spells (and weaker to others).

Spirits are supposed to be the support a mage brings in in order to beat another mage. A mage can't throw spells at a mage very well, mundanes can't identify the mage (so can't geek him first). A spirit on the other hand is "strong" versus mages (due to having powers that mages can't counter). Unfortunately it's also "strong" versus mundanes, throwing our entire RPS model out the window.

*Alternatively we can make everything super-overpowered in such a way that it will take decades for people to figure out which combo is the most overpowered, at which point the game will have already died from natural causes.

I fail to see how drones are any different than spirits in your argument... Drones are something anyone can bring and are basically strong against everything. Also, I don't think an RPS models either SR, the real world, or the various fiction sources SR is drawn from that that well, so I don't use it to try to define how the system should work. For a pure game, the balance of each option in some way (be it RPS, direct Vs., or whatever method), is very important, but for me it gets in the way of the interactive storytelling on the role-playing side. It's a difficult balance between the two, and every group will likely prefer a different balance point .
DireRadiant
Shadowrunners are all unbalanced to begin with, otherwise why are they running the shadows instead of stealing cars?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 30 2010, 06:45 PM) *
You know what we need?

To combat spirits ITNW Armor we need ITNW DV!

Even better...

Pink Armor is vulnerable to Pink DV!
Red Armor is vulnerable to Red DV!
Green Armor is vulnerable to Yellow DV! (Just for a change...)

Whoa whoa whoa, Citizen.

Only laser barrels classified 'Green,' 'Blue,' 'Indigo,' or 'Violet' can damage armor classified as 'Green.'

Dare you disagree with Friend Computer?
(only communists disagree with Friend Computer)
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 30 2010, 07:48 PM) *
Whoa whoa whoa, Citizen.

Only laser barrels classified 'Green,' 'Blue,' 'Indigo,' or 'Violet' can damage armor classified as 'Green.'

Scooped.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 30 2010, 01:48 PM) *
Whoa whoa whoa, Citizen.

Oh man, I love Paranoia. Got to play this last weekend (we blew up a sector of Alpha Complex by overloading its reactor--I'm not entirely sure, still, if it was anyone's intention or not. I just know it wasn't our sector that blew up after power was re-routed to the other sector).
Dumori
Drone armour isn't hardened something to keep in mind they just lack a stun-track.

QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 30 2010, 06:25 AM) *
Now please answer my question. If tasers, lasers and flamethrowers are -half ITNW then you also believe that sonic rifles completely bypass ITNW, correct? Do the spirits also suffer from nausea? wink.gif

To answer this hmmm and yes. By the rules nausea isnt just feeling sick it's pain, panic ect and dose not exclude spirts as far as I am able to tell.

The soinic rifle poses an odd issue it sates its not effected by Regular armor. This raised the question dose hardened/hardened like armor apply here? As far as I know its to only mundane sonic effect magic can produce them as well but they would bypass ITNW.

DireRadiant
Sonic Armor! For Sonic Rifle DV.

All those Ares Predators is why my Armor Jacket is made from Ares Predators.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 30 2010, 08:20 PM) *
Sonic Armor! For Sonic Rifle DV.

All those Ares Predators is why my Armor Jacket is made from Ares Predators.

Y'know, a dedicated commlink with a mic and playback speakers to send a interference pulse when the sonic weapon was fired would make an effective form of 'Sonic' armor...
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Jun 30 2010, 12:02 PM) *

There is balance and there is balance. I don't need 4e D&D style balance and I do not even want it. And heck the idea of what SR seems to try to go for of where you want a mage to deal with a mage, a decker to deal with a decker is fine and dandy. But I think there is no you need a combat monster to deal with a combat monster moment. They decided to try and 4e D&D it and make everyone combat monsters just in different ways so the Sam and phys adept there rolls are almost worthless in comparison, because you don't need them to deal with normal physical threats and heck the decker and the mage might actually deal with those ordinary physical threats better on top of handing there niche protected threats.

Thing is a drone can be dealt with fairly easily by a mage in 3 ways direct combat spells if he has a good pool, indirect elemental spells, and nothing stops a mage from just shooting it like everyone else. When facing a spirit what do non-mages have as an option, well stick and shock and running away. Take away the stick and shock and all you got it running away. And ever if drones were just as big of a hassle to mages as spirits are to everyone else until drones could poof in out of thin air its not much of a comparison.

Total balance is not needed, but balance so there is some kind of need or desire beyond roleplaying to be an archtype that is supposed to be part of the game world is needed.
Lanlaorn
Eh if we're going to argue from a balance persepctive I'd say SnS is "too easy", you don't even need to change weapons just pop in a fresh mag and off you go. If we're doing thing purely for table balance of your party members then let flamethrowers or laser weapons work I guess. They're at least exotic and not trivial to carry around.
The Dragon Girl
..isn't this what we have phys adepts for anyhow? Punch the spirit in the face! Works real good, especially when killing hands is combined with some of the other powers..
Mäx
QUOTE (Lanlaorn @ Jun 30 2010, 10:38 PM) *
Eh if we're going to argue from a balance persepctive I'd say SnS is "too easy", you don't even need to change weapons just pop in a fresh mag and off you go. If we're doing thing purely for table balance of your party members then let flamethrowers or laser weapons work I guess. They're at least exotic and not trivial to carry around.

Well luckily Acid filled capsule rounds also work nicely by just popping a new mag, no need for any stupid excotic weapons.
Yerameyahu
I hope you were being sarcastic about spirits suffering nausea. smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 30 2010, 02:25 PM) *
Y'know, a dedicated commlink with a mic and playback speakers to send a interference pulse when the sonic weapon was fired would make an effective form of 'Sonic' armor...

Sorry, but sound doesn't really work that way. As soon as the mic can pick up the sound wave you've already been effected. Trust me, I've used feedback killers (takes 5 seconds for it to detect feedback and its the longest 5 seconds ever).

Also, such an interference pulse would have to be properly timed to produce the inverted wave and then it would only line up in some locations.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 30 2010, 07:50 PM) *
Sorry, but sound doesn't really work that way. As soon as the mic can pick up the sound wave you've already been effected. Trust me, I've used feedback killers (takes 5 seconds for it to detect feedback and its the longest 5 seconds ever).

Also, such an interference pulse would have to be properly timed to produce the inverted wave and then it would only line up in some locations.

Good to know.
Draco18s
Note: in other locations the effect would be worse. wink.gif
svenftw
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Jun 30 2010, 10:35 AM) *
Indirect combat spells face the drones armor, which is usually significant, and always hardened, and at that point are facing the same problem that drones face against spirits.

Vehicle (and drone) armor is actually superior to Hardened Armor. On vehicles, you compare the armor value to the damage taken *after soaking* to determine if any damage gets through.
Yerameyahu
Wait, what? That's absurd. I think you're being confused by the (confusing) order of the sentences there, but modified DV is just (DV + Net hits), not 'post-soak damage'.
svenftw
I thought so too, and I agree that it's absurd, but they even give an example of it.
Yerameyahu
Jesus. Thank god for rule 7: 'if it's stupid, it's wrong, especially if there's a simpler, more general, and better way already built into the game'. biggrin.gif
biccat
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 30 2010, 05:13 PM) *

I don't know what you mean I'm considering ITNW as "a new type of armor." Does it function differently than Hardened Armor? Yes, because it's a different power than Hardened Armor and Armor. There aren't any other critter powers that are dependent on other powers, so why should ITNW be any different?

Your argument isn't a proof, as I've pointed out, because it ignores language in the relevant rules. The issue is far from being "definitive".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012