Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Puyallups IV
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Redjack
Another week and no PMs. Are you all wanting to continue?
Saytr
Hell yeah I will send my pm this week.
Thanee
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 26 2012, 01:34 AM) *
Another week and no PMs. Are you all wanting to continue?

You said end of the month... we are not there yet. biggrin.gif

And yeah, was kinda busy this week... but definitely working on it. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
PM sent smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Redjack
QUOTE (Thanee @ Aug 26 2012, 12:58 AM) *
You said end of the month... we are not there yet. biggrin.gif
Sorry. Usually I start getting some responses and questions. Hadn't heard a peep yet. Looking yours over now. Thanks!
cndblank
Where did the time go?
Saytr
Into the past see there it goes ^^^^^^lol
cndblank
Would Jazz be interested in putting together a Team software package/suite to share the costs and set a security standard?

The rest of us could all kick a couple of K in to it and she could maintain it as her share.

I guess she would need to suggest a recommended minimum hardware package (At least this level of commlink WITH Only skinlink turned on,...) for us to buy so that the hardware could properly support the software security.

QUOTE (Thanee @ Aug 14 2012, 05:48 AM) *
Jazz will definitely use the time to overhaul her software (and make it SOTA appropriate; she doesn't have anything from Unwired, yet, as the book didn't exist when I made the character wink.gif). Probably build up some connection with the Cracker Underground and get some nifty pirate copies there.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee
If you are looking at pirate copies for standard programs, the cost is quite low, really.

A Rating 6 Common Program with Optimization 3 (so it runs on a Response 3 Commlink) only costs 90¥ with 5¥ for patches every month. wink.gif

All you really need for security (apart from the Firewall, of course), unless you want to use it actively, is Encrypt, though.

Bye
Thanee
cndblank

Rating 6? That is not bad at all.

So does Encrypt cover commlink to commlink communication?

So if Jazz was going to commit multiple felonies with some one what would be the minimum level of security you would want their commlink to have? wink.gif
Redjack
I will make my ruling regarding all the pirated software this weekend. Thanee sent me a considerably detailed email.

Thanks!
-rp
Thanee
Yeah, Unwired changed that stuff quite a bit. wink.gif

@cndblank: For my own characters I usually aim at a Response 4 Commlink with System 4, Firewall 6, and Encrypt 6 (Optimization 3), plus Skinlink. That's 8,950¥ (with a Hermes Ikon), when bought legally. With fully pirated software it's 3,640¥ plus monthly updates of 55¥ to keep the software from degrading.

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Hey Redjack,

I thought about "stealing" your CSP idea for my pnp game. I was wondering how it would work out, if those points could also be spent on gaining new contacts (2 Karma for 1 Rating point, just like Karma character generation) during downtime.

What do you think about that?

Bye
Thanee
Redjack
Hmmm... That sounds feasible, though I think in the past I've done 1:1 with a max rating of 2 in most cases for new contacts that are purchased.

Also, I am behind schedule. I endeavor to catch up. smile.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (Redjack @ Sep 5 2012, 10:45 PM) *
Hmmm... That sounds feasible, though I think in the past I've done 1:1 with a max rating of 2 in most cases for new contacts that are purchased.

For Loyalty, I guess (as limiting the Connection Value that way does not make much sense, as it is a fixed value for the contact, and not a relationship between character and contact).

I would actually limit it to 1 for new contacts, but also allow to raise it that way (slowly and within reason). Guess I will just try it like that and see how it goes. smile.gif

I will stay with the 2:1 Karma to C/L points ratio, though, as that is the same as during Karma generation, which should be a good enough approximation of their value in Karma.

Bye
Thanee
Redjack
Ok, I finally got a moment to read the registration and piracy rules. Registration issue now make sense for hacking with registered programs, however there are some complications missing for pirated software:
(1) Future unavailability of patches (ergo: no one providing them)
(2) Delay in release of patches
(3) Destruction of the source hacker network
(4) Introduction of malware in patches
(5) Obsolecence of source program requiring replacement (registered users get a free upgrade)
(6) Further reduction in street value of 2nd hand registered software due to availability of pirated versions.

In the end, I like it and will work up something for inclusion in the Dumpshock Datahaven and for use in the game. I will endeavor to make it neither burdensome, nor complicated, rather something to provide a little bit more balance for the benefit.
Thanee
QUOTE (Redjack @ Sep 7 2012, 04:23 PM) *
Ok, I finally got a moment to read the registration and piracy rules. Registration issue now make sense for hacking with registered programs, however there are some complications missing for pirated software:
(1) Future unavailability of patches (ergo: no one providing them)
(2) Delay in release of patches
(3) Destruction of the source hacker network
(4) Introduction of malware in patches
(5) Obsolecence of source program requiring replacement (registered users get a free upgrade)
(6) Further reduction in street value of 2nd hand registered software due to availability of pirated versions.

In the end, I like it and will work up something for inclusion in the Dumpshock Datahaven and for use in the game. I will endeavor to make it neither burdensome, nor complicated, rather something to provide a little bit more balance for the benefit.

Sure, let me know how you want to handle it, so I can change the list accordingly. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Redjack
QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 7 2012, 01:13 PM) *
Sure, let me know how you want to handle it, so I can change the list accordingly. smile.gif
As this continues to bounce around in my head, here is what I am currently thinking: Each time the software is due a patch, the player rolls 2xEdge(2) for the patch to be available for each software.
2+ hits: Patch is readily available.
1 hit: Patch is delayed until halfway to next scheduled release (causing software to be temporarily depreciated by 1 until patched).
No hits: Obsolescence of source program or lack of maintainer for code base. Program will no longer be upgrade, will depreciate and must eventually be replaced.
Glitch: Patch introduces the "Bug-ridden" software bug.
Critical Glitch: Introduction of malware in patches or destruction of the source hacker network

Additionally, due to the availability of pirated versions, the market is considered "flooded" for 2nd hand software.
Redjack
QUOTE (Redjack @ Sep 7 2012, 03:11 PM) *
As this continues to bounce around in my head, here is what I am currently thinking: Each time the software is due a patch, the player rolls 2xEdge(2) for the patch to be available for each software.
As I think through this, I think I want to assign a rating to the Cracker Network and make the roll: Network Rating + Character Edge(2)
Thanee
So, what happens when two characters are both looking into the same network?

In other words... I don't think an individual's Edge belongs in there. wink.gif

I understand where you are coming from with that, but it just seems weird. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee

P.S. with the "reliable source" I have mentioned in my PM, I was aiming at something like "Warezhouse 24" (i.e. a Virtual Group Contact; see Runner's Companion p. 130).
Redjack
QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 7 2012, 03:06 PM) *
So, what happens when two characters are both looking into the same network?

In other words... I don't think an individual's Edge belongs in there. wink.gif
The higher edge makes the roll for the individual software. In finding the software, a glitch by any one person makes it unavailable for all.
I do agree though, it is too dependent on the character. A rating of the network is never taken into account contrasted to the availability rating of the software to see if the software is even available on the network.

QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 7 2012, 03:06 PM) *
P.S. with the "reliable source" I have mentioned in my PM, I was aiming at something like "Warezhouse 24" (i.e. a Virtual Group Contact; see Runner's Companion p. 130).
One year should be plenty of time for a hacker of Jazz' caliber to get a recommendation; I do note the preference is to trade for programs though.
Thanee
QUOTE (Redjack @ Sep 10 2012, 01:19 AM) *
One year should be plenty of time for a hacker of Jazz' caliber to get a recommendation

Yeah, I thought, that should be reasonable.

I do note the preference is to trade for programs though.

Not necessarily trade them, just being able to acquire them in a more or less reliable fashion would be great (and very convenient smile.gif).

Bye
Thanee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012