Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emerging Conflict OOC & Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Seth
This possession stuff is cool, I haven't tried it before as a spirit summoning Mage.

OK I guess I am turning to blast Mr Feather, along with a little monologue. I was tempted to put in "resistance in futile", but that is probably a film reference too far, and as my performance this round shows. Resistance is by no means futile.

I'm not too sure where we are in the combat round. At the moment I get 2 IPs, so here is one rounds worth of stuff
I'll start with a fear effect, and follow up with a lightning blast. I think its safe to say these are not impressive rolls. At least he is a troll and limited in dodge and willpower

Initiative 2 successes
Fear 2 and Lightning blast 2 successes each

Not my most impressive round
Aria
Yeah, sorry, I checked the ruling and you get reaction+dodge/unarmed/armed skill and then get to add dodge/armed again for full defence...

so, with edge I'm guessing that's no damage...he hits like a freight train though!

Your second attack (5 hits) he just manages to block again, then his action, only 5 hits this time so that's one more than your block, damage 10P -3AP again, soak 7 but only 4 because of -AP so I make that 6 stun again (ouch!) want to burn some more edge away?!? ork.gif He only just hit you so 1 success would allow you to block him...

Then it's finally your IP3 and he has no actions left this round...
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 29 2011, 07:19 PM) *
This possession stuff is cool, I haven't tried it before as a spirit summoning Mage.

OK I guess I am turning to blast Mr Feather, along with a little monologue. I was tempted to put in "resistance in futile", but that is probably a film reference too far, and as my performance this round shows. Resistance is by no means futile.

I'm not too sure where we are in the combat round. At the moment I get 2 IPs, so here is one rounds worth of stuff
I'll start with a fear effect, and follow up with a lightning blast. I think its safe to say these are not impressive rolls. At least he is a troll and limited in dodge and willpower

Initiative 2 successes
Fear 2 and Lightning blast 2 successes each

Not my most impressive round

Grrrr, you post while I'm writing up all the rolls against Joshua nyahnyah.gif Ah well, you get to do your fear in IP2 and he easily avoids that...lightning will have to wait for next round though as I believe you only have 2IPs ?!? How do you sit on the number of services Legundo owes now? Given that both opponents came along together I think they count as 1 between them...

...how does Joshua feel about you "helping out" ??
Aria
QUOTE (Aria @ Mar 29 2011, 07:25 PM) *
Your second attack (5 hits) he just manages to block again, then his action, only 5 hits this time so that's one more than your block, damage 10P -3AP again, soak 7 but only 4 because of -AP so I make that 6 stun again (ouch!) want to burn some more edge away?!? ork.gif He only just hit you so 1 success would allow you to block him...

Sorry Big Fella, miscounted your soak rolls, only 2 successes off because of -3AP so that's 5 stun without edge...

@BlackHat & Mr J: Can I have fear resistance rolls from you both please (for later...)...Straight Will I believe. Then can I have some inspiring leadership rolls to stop your troops running like scared rabbits!
BlackHat
QUOTE (Aria @ Mar 29 2011, 02:33 PM) *
@BlackHat & Mr J: Can I have fear resistance rolls from you both please (for later...)...Straight Will I believe. Then can I have some inspiring leadership rolls to stop your troops running like scared rabbits!

I think fear tests are usuall "Composure" tests (SR4A 138) which is Will + Cha. If I am mistaken, just lop the last 5 dice off of my roll

Willpower + Charisma = 8 dice = 3 hits (1 hit if will only)

Leadership + Charisma + Chatty = 11 dice (assuming I can use AR/VR/Tacnet to talk to them = 4 hits

... and the rating 2 tacnet might grant 2 more dice to the leadership test, if applicable. If so, it results in 1 hit.
Aria
QUOTE (SR4A p295)
Fear
Type: M • Action: Complex • Range: LOS • Duration: Special
The Fear power gives a being the power to fill its victims with
overwhelming terror. The victim will race in panic for the nearest point
of apparent safety and will not stop until he is out of sight and a safe
distance away. The critter makes a Willpower + Magic Opposed Test
against the target’s Willpower. The terror lasts for 1 Combat Turn per
net hit scored by the critter. Even after that point, the target must succeed
in a Willpower + Charisma (critter’s net hits) Test to return or face
the critter again.

...and as it's a critter power we're talking about...maybe it's Captain's turn for a spot of edge burning, don't want to run like a scaredy cat?!? ork.gif

I'll apply the tacnet bonus to your leadership though...
mister__joshua
Ok. I've never played pbp or used invisible castle so I'll try and figure that out tomorrow then do some rolls smile.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (Aria @ Mar 29 2011, 03:09 PM) *
...and as it's a critter power we're talking about...maybe it's Captain's turn for a spot of edge burning, don't want to run like a scaredy cat?!? ork.gif

I'll apply the tacnet bonus to your leadership though...

Oh, he might then. wink.gif Not that rerolling the 2 dice is likely to change anything. Let me think about it, and I'll get back to it tonight.
I noticed the power is LOS, though. If the critter can see us, can we see it? or is it doing some kind of mage-sight optical cable shinanigans?
BlackHat
QUOTE (Aria @ Mar 29 2011, 03:09 PM) *
...don't want to run like a scaredy cat?!? ork.gif

And, as I've pointed out before... what APPEARS to be cowardice is actually cunning strategy. Roberts men can attest to that!
BlackHat
Also, how is the leadership going to help the grunts? Does MJ benifit from my 5 hits of leadership? do those below him benifit from both of our leaderships? It seems like the 5 hits I generated will already overshadow everyone's willpower scores alone.

... assuming they still stand after Roberts screams and runs out of the room.
sabs
use edge to reroll misses?
That's more dice than getting to add 2 dice.
BlackHat
QUOTE (sabs @ Mar 29 2011, 03:51 PM) *
use edge to reroll misses?
That's more dice than getting to add 2 dice.

Nah, I rolled 8 dice because I thought it was a composure test (will 3 + cha 5)
If you lop off 5 dice, the first 3 I rolled were 1 hit, and 2 misses (and one 1), so if I use edge to reroll misses, I'm only rerolling 2 dice.
I might get 1 more hit, but 2 isn't much better than 1, especially if the dicepool of the critter is easily 9+.

It might not be worth wasting the edge on a test that I am going to fail, anyway.
sabs
isn't a 1 a miss? so you'd be rerolling 3 dice, which isnt' much better. Whats' your actual edge score?
BlackHat
the 1 was one of those 2 misses... I was just pointing out that it was almost a glitch

His edge is 2, so its 2 dice either way.
BlackHat
Yeah, I think I am just gonna suck this one up. Even if I get another success out of it the only thing that is likely to accomplish is to reduce the number of rounds he has to run away by 1. Basically, once he starts screaming and running away, the damage (to his ego) is done, and it doesn't really matter how long before he can return. I'd rather save the edge use for something more "life or death" than the fear power. Something tells me I'll find a reason to use it later.

Plus, being a coward and running seems to kind of fit him.
BlackHat
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 29 2011, 03:33 PM) *
Ok. I've never played pbp or used invisible castle so I'll try and figure that out tomorrow then do some rolls smile.gif

Let me know if you have any questions, but invisible castle is really easy to use. Once you're signed in, you can roll dice (and give it a character name and a campaign name), the results get shown to you and if you copy/paste that URL over here, other people can go look at them. They can also look at that combination of character/campaign and make sure there isn't any unreported rolls going on, but it doesn't really come up (since people know the GM could look if he/she cared). in the comment box you can describe what the roll was for, too, which helps if you or the GM ever need to look up an old roll.

There are a few advanced features, like if you type "5d6" for your dice, it will roll 5 dice and tell you what the individual numbers are, but if you type "5d6.hits(5)" then it will also tell you how many of those dice came up with 5 or higher (your number of hits). You still have to manually look to make sure you didn't glitch or something, but its a neat feature.
Aria
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Mar 30 2011, 03:31 AM) *
Yeah, I think I am just gonna suck this one up. Even if I get another success out of it the only thing that is likely to accomplish is to reduce the number of rounds he has to run away by 1. Basically, once he starts screaming and running away, the damage (to his ego) is done, and it doesn't really matter how long before he can return. I'd rather save the edge use for something more "life or death" than the fear power. Something tells me I'll find a reason to use it later.

Plus, being a coward and running seems to kind of fit him.

Don't worry about the roll yet, the power isn't actually used yet, just wanted to add some tension smile.gif

In an AR world i'm guessing there's no easy way to identify the officers...?!?
mister__joshua
Ok, for the fear check I got 2 successes on 8 dice but I may edge to re-roll misses once I find out what threshold I'm trying to reach? This is what my character is supposed to be good at!

I then rolled the most pitiful 12 dice leadership test ever, and got 1 success frown.gif

Again, may re-roll misses (cos there were so many!) if it seems important!

Also, as Blackhat mentioned a few posts back, does his Leadership test (much better than mine) affect my platoon also, or even me, as he's in overall command. At this stage I dearly hope so!

I apologise quietly to the troops for my lack of dice roling ability
Seth
. When/If Feather is defeated I will be out of services. (I think I had 3, so 1 for "possess me and lets go down to join the others", 1 for "defeat the elf", 1 for "defeat feather". If you want it run it as once per power use, thats OK I will just change the post a bit. I'll try and keep a running total of services in my OOC post.

I wish my fear was as impressive as the one on Mister Joshua and Black Hat, but never mind.

As far as "how does Joshua feel", bah: he's a soldier, his job is defeat the enemy not do a Cyrano de Bergerac and duel. Of course he might not see it that way smile.gif
Big Fella
Gulp...lots of edge getting burned...maybe I need to spend one hitting him smile.gif

OK I'll spend the point, and post tomorrow (its very late here tonight)
Seth
I think I am 1 round ahead of Joshua: the round he trades blows with Feather, I was fighting the elf. The round I demonstrated my inadequate spirit riding is the round Joshua is just putting together (next post)
Big Fella
So I'd spending the edge to reroll failures on the dodge roll, so thats 10 die rerolling: 4 more successes http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2959816/

I have already rolled my to hit (2 pitiful successes , so I guess I miss him again.

Next round:
Initiative 18 (12 + 6)
Attack 5 4 4 if the first one misses I am spending a third point of edge and rerolling getting the total to 9 successes
Defence 6 6 2
Soak 9 7 and 5
Base Damage with vibro sword: 12P AP -2
Please note I have finishing move, so if the first attack hits, I will hit him again
Aria
Someone remind me...is finishing move a 'free' attack or does Feather defend as usual?
Aria
QUOTE (Big Fella @ Mar 31 2011, 07:45 AM) *
So I'd spending the edge to reroll failures on the dodge roll, so thats 10 die rerolling: 4 more successes http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2959816/

I have already rolled my to hit (2 pitiful successes , so I guess I miss him again.

Next round:
Initiative 18 (12 + 6)
Attack 5 4 4 if the first one misses I am spending a third point of edge and rerolling getting the total to 9 successes
Defence 6 6 2
Soak 9 7 and 5
Base Damage with vibro sword: 12P AP -2
Please note I have finishing move, so if the first attack hits, I will hit him again

Seriously...we don't need to keep rolling intiative, save your good rolls smile.gif

I'm afraid you need to spend your next point of edge to get those 9 successes, he blocked again, but that's 15P damage -2AP! That plus whatever finishing move is enough to drop him bleeding to the deck! Only 1 edge left though!!!

To the rest of you...read the upcoming IC post and BE AFRAID!!!
sabs
Aria, you are a vile evil demented wench and I love you for it. That IC post is pure evil smile.gif
Aria
QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 1 2011, 02:02 PM) *
Aria, you are a vile evil demented wench and I love you for it. That IC post is pure evil smile.gif

I'm glad you approve vegm.gif

...now I leave you to go WTF!!! and post your next actions IC in the blissful knowledge that something really weird is happening smile.gif
Seth
As you are probably intending, I am somewhat confused by that IC post.

Firstly: Huzzah! Feather and his girl friend down. My spirit's services are used up, and I will summon another.
Secondly: Joshua and I will get back with Sticks, and start behaving like a military unit again: I blame the possession it totally screws up any discipline, but it is a lot of fund
Thirdly: Huh. That scan didn't pick us up, and I didn't see his astral form. Fortunately Gash isn't aware of that, but it is fairly wierd.

Joshua and I will do on IC post, about the end of the fight, and regrouping with Sticks.

I will try and stabilize Feather. I assume there are some medikits around level 4 within grabbing distance (who leaves home without one except me). 2 successes gets me a stabilisation If there are no medikits, I won't even try. I will wait until I have summoned Mukanda
Seth
OK My first summoning of Isingoma does not go well

[ Spoiler ]

Change of plan, clearly the goods are speaking and stealth is not the way in. Mukanda / force 6 task spirit with first aid and influence
[ Spoiler ]

I service is basically "hang around, keep us all first aided, and follow Joshua while possessing me". That leaves me with 3 services

My first aid http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2963076/ 5 successes, I forgot to remove 3 die (situation / awakened) so that will actually be 4 successes, which is a nett 2 wounds recovered.

So at the end of the demoralising spirit summoning fest, I am down 1 physical damage, and possessed by Mukanda
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Apr 1 2011, 09:59 PM) *
As you are probably intending, I am somewhat confused by that IC post.

ork.gif

Don't worry, I hadn't forgotten that you are dual natured when possessed! No astral form has been near you for a little while and you haven't heard any howling either...

Feather is stabilised and a rather irate Sticks is sending a drone into the core with you (I'm looking forward to the dressing down you've got coming! smile.gif), I suspect the others are very close behind now they have jammed the lab airlock...

Cpt Roberts and Lt Bryn need to decide on their next course of action...
Seth
I'm looking forward to the dressing down you've got comin

Well when you have been bollocked as many times as I have...one more doesn't make any difference. It's not my fault if he cannot keep up
mister__joshua
only short but I thought I'd post IC just cos I hadn't for a bit.

How do you think we should proceed captain?

Can I see any other ways up other than the lifts?

How far up do the stairs go? I don't know why from reading back but i got the impression they didn't go all the way up. That's probably wrong though
Aria
The stairs do go all the way up and down. I'm assuming you will split and take the stairs as it's less dangerous!
Seth
@Sabs
Joshua and Gash are just waiting for you to give us some instructions. Mind you, not giving us orders is amusing: that way we get to rampage a bit more

sabs
soryr, been throwing up since yesterday.
I should have a post tomorow.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 5 2011, 04:16 AM) *
soryr, been throwing up since yesterday.
I should have a post tomorow.

Tasty! biggrin.gif
Seth
soryr, been throwing up since yesterday. I should have a post tomorow

Sounds horrible. Hope you are better soon.

I will be travelling a lot in the near future for 3 or 4 weeks, but will try and check each day. If I am not posting its because the internet is crappy wherever I am.
BlackHat
Basically, our men should be operating with their comms in hidden mode (and not connecting to random public nodes), and traffic between them should be encrypted. If that is the case, and we're still seeing external AR imagery, we need to bring the tacnet down, and everyone needs to run at Signal 0 (or skinlinked). I think we can function that way, and it'll give our opponents less of a way to mess with us/track us/ spy on us.
Aria
QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 5 2011, 03:56 PM) *
Sticks
[23:16 August 22, 2070 – Stillwater Eco Tower Level 3]

Sticks puts the volume up on his speakers, and literally growls at Gash. "Are you trying to get us all killed. We're in a goddamn mess and you run off by yourself." Even his Horseman seems agitated and irritated. Who knew drones could look pissed off. "I should put you down like the idiotic rabbid dog you are. If either of you do that one more time. I won't even bother with charges, I'll just vent the grey matter in your skulls and send the Death Insurance to your families." Sticks Horseman gets right into Joshua's face. "Do I make myself clear. PRIVATE."

Good dressing down smile.gif

QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 5 2011, 03:56 PM) *
Sticks double checks the status of the team, <<We've cleared to the staircase. Squad 1, what's your status.>> Laying out his orders, <<Gash, what would it take to blow up the ward on this floor so it's gone.>>

Not quite sure why you want to bother with this?!? The ward is preventing astral intruders from going into the cyber labs which you have more or less ignored anyway...?!? Or did you mean the ward on the level below you?
Aria
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Apr 5 2011, 03:53 PM) *
Basically, our men should be operating with their comms in hidden mode (and not connecting to random public nodes), and traffic between them should be encrypted. If that is the case, and we're still seeing external AR imagery, we need to bring the tacnet down, and everyone needs to run at Signal 0 (or skinlinked). I think we can function that way, and it'll give our opponents less of a way to mess with us/track us/ spy on us.

The AR feeds do seem to be bypassing your spam filters smile.gif I would guess that they have nasty technomancer ways of detecting nodes within the tower...

As to spying on you, given the size of sensors in SR4 you are being Big Brothered more or less the entire time you are inside the tower...
Aria
Thought I'd be nice to you (it makes for a change ork.gif) and team you all up again...

I imagine that Sticks will have command still for a bit as it was his mission originally and he is part of the 'elite' rather than the basic troops that Roberts and Bryn have brought along...of course if he wants to cede his authority then that is entirely up to you smile.gif

You probably have the men to achieve your mission now...after all the inhabitants only outnumber you 3-1 devil.gif
sabs
Oh you know, I'm going to edit my post, I had forgotten which was the ward smile.gif

BlackHat
QUOTE (Aria @ Apr 6 2011, 04:05 AM) *
The AR feeds do seem to be bypassing your spam filters smile.gif I would guess that they have nasty technomancer ways of detecting nodes within the tower...

That's kind of what I guessed, which is why we should turn those nodes off (or at least tell them to use skinlink only, or signal rating 0). It isn't so much that they can detect our nodes that worries me (although its bad if they can triangulate them) it is that we can't prevent our commlinks from connecting to theirs and interpreting the simsense.
As to spying on you, given the size of sensors in SR4 you are being Big Brothered more or less the entire time you are inside the tower...

Yeah, no surprise here, either. It's still bad tactically, but there probably isn't anything we can do about it.
I imagine that Sticks will have command still for a bit as it was his mission originally and he is part of the 'elite' rather than the basic troops that Roberts and Bryn have brought along...

Roberts will have no problem deferring to the SpecOps with more situational awareness. This is their mess, really, and from what he's seen, he'll be glad to pass the buck back to them. He's here to help this team get out of whatever mess they got themselves into - not to take over the operation. That said, if Sticks prefers to have him make a few calls, he'd be glad to advise as needed.
sabs
remember, Sticks is an NCO. He's literally dying for an officer type.
Yes, he's a Master Sergeant, and a hard ass. But this is a hard core military unit, command belongs to officers smile.gif even wet behind the ears Lts.
Seth
@Blackhat/MisterJoshua
Nice to be nearly meeting up with you lot at last!

@Aria
I'll do a quick assense to check that I recognise at least some of the auras: default die give me a couple of successes, and I think the odds of that many adepts around are low, and if there are that many, then we are screwed anyway.

Can I see if any of them are astrally active, so that I could initiate a conversation ?

The invisible force that is taking them down...is that a spirit or some sort of spell?

The biodrones that they are fighting are (I assume) animals controlled by rigging. Could you give me a very quick description of them.

My current plan is:
If there is a mage or spirit here, deal with it
If not, possess a biodrone and get it to attack the other.
BlackHat
QUOTE (sabs @ Apr 6 2011, 12:24 PM) *
remember, Sticks is an NCO. He's literally dying for an officer type.
Yes, he's a Master Sergeant, and a hard ass. But this is a hard core military unit, command belongs to officers smile.gif even wet behind the ears Lts.

Very well then! biggrin.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Apr 6 2011, 07:12 PM) *
@Blackhat/MisterJoshua
Nice to be nearly meeting up with you lot at last!

@Aria
I'll do a quick assense to check that I recognise at least some of the auras: default die give me a couple of successes, and I think the odds of that many adepts around are low, and if there are that many, then we are screwed anyway.

Can I see if any of them are astrally active, so that I could initiate a conversation ?

The invisible force that is taking them down...is that a spirit or some sort of spell?

The biodrones that they are fighting are (I assume) animals controlled by rigging. Could you give me a very quick description of them.

My current plan is:
If there is a mage or spirit here, deal with it
If not, possess a biodrone and get it to attack the other.

@Seth:
  • You recognise at least some of the auras, Brafton in particular...none are astrally active at the moment
  • There don't appear to be any of the enemy adepts about...one or two of the DW troops may be adepts
  • There doesn't seem to be a spirit or spell at work and by the time you reach them they are getting to their feet anyway
  • The biodrones where rigged canines with ruthenium cloaks and thermal masking (and probably some offensive kit too)...they are more or less toast by the time you arrive (not sure how possessing would work on a drone, even an organic one?!?)
  • Combat is winding down when you arrive so you can make some rolls to be the glorious saviour or you can just manifest and initiate conversation...your choice smile.gif

@Blackhat & Mr J (& everyone):
You will be quick to notice that you have lost comms to the outside world...there's no jamming and your comms work fine but there's no outside matrix connection (faraday cage?!?) ...yep, it's happening again (being nice to you couldn't last too long after all) ork.gif

BlackHat
The report says tacnet is reinitializing. Does that me we are no longer seeing the building's AR, or is the spider disobeying the order? biggrin.gif
I don't mind reminding him that unless we're able to keep them off our comms, completely, we're better off without them... but I don't want to start barking about misunderstood instructions if they guy actually did his job.

The fact that he didn't find any malware doesn't mean squat if we're still connecting to unwanted nodes despite being hidden and encrypted.
Aria
He seems to have found a way to block out the unwanted AR feeds...

...for 'tactical' purposes he will run an isolated commlink set to receive the AR feeds so that all the effort I've put into planning the interface isn't lost on you smile.gif ...don't worry, your comms are clean, they just can't reach the outside world for some reason... it makes sense to me that you would want to know what the enemy are pumping in your direction (AR wise)...know thy enemy etc...?!?
BlackHat
QUOTE (Aria @ Apr 7 2011, 10:29 AM) *
He seems to have found a way to block out the unwanted AR feeds...

...for 'tactical' purposes he will run an isolated commlink set to receive the AR feeds so that all the effort I've put into planning the interface isn't lost on you smile.gif ...don't worry, your comms are clean, they just can't reach the outside world for some reason... it makes sense to me that you would want to know what the enemy are pumping in your direction (AR wise)...know thy enemy etc...?!?

No, not really. smile.gif I appreciate you not wanting to waste any planning put into the AR descriptions, but frankly any information they are going through this much effort to send to us is unlikely to be helpful. At best, it might allow communication between our factions - but we have nothing to say to them - at worst, it would allow them to mislead us, track us and at the most inopportune time to hack us. They can probably track us through the omnipresent sensors, anyway, but the *smart* thing to do is to go dark in the matrix, and force them to interact with us only in the real world, where our merc teams (theoretically) still hold some advantage.

They have us beat in the astral, and in the matrix, so we need to close those off as best we can and focus on the mundane - and from your descriptions of the last 3 encounters, our men seem to be able to handle themselves against their forces, even when their forces have some technological advantages. I say we press that advantage.

Plus, they *might* be able to decrypt and sniff our matrix traffic, anyway, without us knowing, but it is probably impossible for us to do the same to them. We would be negligent if we continued to send all of our commands and tactical data through the air, after the enemy has demonstrated to be able to do a whole bunch of "impossible" matrix tricks that our spiders cannot explain, much less counteract.

I'm willing to believe that they know enough to decrypt and intercept our tactical data. I doubt they know enough about Deep Watch and Military hand-signals and jargon to be able to glean anything from watching us communicate in the real world.

*shrugs*

Like I said, though, if we shut it all down, we'll miss out on half of the cool descriptions... so I'm open to letting it slide, if the other PCs don't mind.
Aria
No, I take your point...avoid playing on their turf...makes sense to me! smile.gif Just prod me if I start putting in AR stuff again...you can't see it if you go dark, will just have to play with the holograms that you can all see instead!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012