Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alt.WAR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
sabs
Although Amazonia's level of Magic is much higher.. Aztlan is no slouch.
It's probably a constant struggle to keep Aztlan mages drain free.. because of the constant threat of magical attacks.

hermit
Sure, they can nuke spirits, but it's really hard to cross this strait when you'Re firing artillery into it at the same time. And it's, as sabs says, fair to assume Amazonia has the magical edge over them.

But if you don't like the idea of Aztlan having a foothold on the other side of the Macaibo straits, I can overgrow that and displace the oil storage and tanker docks to the other side of the straits, too. smile.gif

Another very useful map courtesy of fexes. I asked for permission to use it.
Brazilian_Shinobi
What I meant was, eventually Aztlan will take over the other side of the straight. Either be by amphibious strike or even parachuting.
The War begins in November 13th. My draft for Maracaibo is set in December 20th, I think that one month is enough for Aztlan to take over the other side of the straight while Amazonia begins to deploy more muscle to the Basin and surrounding areas
hermit
Yup, makes sense. Fexes will do a detail map of Maracaibo for us. So we already have more and more imortant stuff than War! has. He also offered to make maps that show the progress of the war.

I really, really want that subforum.
sabs
If you check the Maracaibo thread, I put together a suggested "front line" that's WAY south of Maracaibo.
Fatum
Okay, I hope it's not too late to get into the project yet.
As a matter of fact, being Russian, I could proof-read your drafts of the whole Yakut deal, if not write those outright.
Well, and root out the usual bullshit you wild Westerners keep spouting about the glorious Red Army!
:3

Also, could there be a more in-detail write-up on heavy fighting vehicles? The ones in War! really make no sense, since between autonomous drones, RFID-sized sensors and advanced automation, a lot of current problems should be solved, and vehicle designs changed accordingly.
Kyoto Kid
...would love to take the Balkans however there is literally nothing to go on canon-wise.

When I developed the region's background for my RiS campaign (which took place in 2062 - 63), it involved nationalistic, corporate, and religious elements who all sought to profit militarily, politically, and/or financially off the ongoing ethnic unrest.

In a sense, it was a "Desert Wars" where the game was for keeps.

One of the "main events" in the region (and for the campaign) was the annexation of Montenegro, and 2052 invasion/ongoing occupation of Croatia by a fascist Serbian state.
hermit
Fatum: No, it's not too late, and since elsewhere an issue on SE Asia is being prepared as we speak, I see no reason why not to work on an Eastern Europe edition either.

Kyoto Kid: Very interested in your stuff. Since SoE claims coratia exists as a country (save for Dalmatia, which felt the need to be independent), maybe just reassign numbers to your work, so the invasion starts after SoE?
Kyoto Kid
...I could but there are some elements that just would not work in a fully wireless matrix environment.

In particular, the "old" architecture was fundamental to how things worked the way they did. Within the Serbian regime it was pretty much impossible for most to access higher levels of the matrix beyond basic public services without proprietary hardware. With a hardwired (fiber optic) network this is much easier to achieve as it is simpler to control who can go where and what they can see or hear when everything travels through a jack in the wall. It is also not affected by wireless/radio jamming.

All public propa-er-broadcast and telecommunications media was state run with equipment and services provided free (basically the telcom in your flat or business was state property).

All commercial matrix systems were required by law to be registered with the Bureau of Communications and would be routinely monitored without notice.

All "decks" (basically hybrid notebooks with DNI) were issued and registered only to higher ranking officials. Unauthorised possession of such matrix hardware (like cyberdecks), as well as access keys, and satellite broadcast/receiving gear was a capital offence. State Security Deckers were all elite members of the SSID (State Intelligence) and fully authorised to use deadly force.

Extremely sensitive systems were completely standalone requiring "in person" access.

Cumbersome? yes, but in a totally dystopic society where access to information is tightly controlled, simple and effective.
hermit
In particular, the "old" architecture was fundamental to how things worked the way they did. Within the Serbian regime it was pretty much impossible for most to access higher levels of the matrix beyond basic public services without proprietary hardware. With a hardwired (fiber optic) network this is much easier to achieve as it is simpler to control who can go where and what they can see or hear when everything travels through a jack in the wall. It is also not affected by wireless/radio jamming.

Quite simply, make the higher level matrix hardwired. It's not like that is lostech or anything. It would make the setting that much more unique. WiFi stuffis bread and circuses, andentirely separate from GovNet, where the real stuff happens. Unwired offers more than enough ways to make a matrix system impenetrable, I can help you there.

All public propa-er-broadcast and telecommunications media was state run with equipment and services provided free (basically the telcom in your flat or business was state property).

All commercial matrix systems were required by law to be registered with the Bureau of Communications and would be routinely monitored without notice.

As done in the Berlin book, the state hands out commlinks. It is illegal to possess third party links. If you're caught, you are in deep shit. Probably, a state company does this and hands out a variety of links so every taste is satisfied. Alternatively, analogous to how China handles this, all commlink manufacturers wishing to sell here have to integrate spyware/restrictware into their product. Unwired has software options for all that, too. Maybe add a state tojan while we're at it.

All "decks" (basically hybrid notebooks with DNI) were issued and registered only to higher ranking officials. Unauthorised possession of such matrix hardware (like cyberdecks), as well as access keys, and satellite broadcast/receiving gear was a capital offence. State Security Deckers were all elite members of the SSID (State Intelligence) and fully authorised to use deadly force.

Extremely sensitive systems were completely standalone requiring "in person" access.

Cumbersome? yes, but in a totally dystopic society where access to information is tightly controlled, simple and effective.

Neat. And totally doable in SR4. The wireless Matrix' liberty is only an illusion anyway, and SR4 still knows what land lines are (as of Unwired).
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 12 2011, 12:07 PM) *
Fatum: No, it's not too late, and since elsewhere an issue on SE Asia is being prepared as we speak, I see no reason why not to work on an Eastern Europe edition either.

So what exactly can I be doing that'd be useful?

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 13 2011, 11:52 AM) *
Quite simply, make the higher level matrix hardwired. It's not like that is lostech or anything.

As a matter of fact, SR4 backbone lines are still very much fiberoptic bunches as per Unwired - just like in real life, wireless bandwidth is enough for single users, but not nearly enough for state-wide uplinks. So something akin to the Great Chinese Firewall is easily doable.
sabs
Well, it depends. How much writing do you want to do?
I'll be honest with you.. right now.. Eastern Europe and Russia/Yakut are a big.. what the hell are we doing with them. Until now noone's really stepped forward.

I'd love to see an intelligent take on Russia in 2073. I suspect a Yakut book will probably be all about Japan, Korea, Northern China, Mongolia. But I'm not super sure.

Given what else has happened in the world. Siberia is probably sparsely populated with a couple of population centers, vast swaths of paracritter infested wilderness, and natural resource raping complexes.

Fatum
QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 14 2011, 01:57 AM) *
Well, it depends. How much writing do you want to do?

Well, I have nothing against writing, but as you might have noticed my English isn't really up to the task. Neither is, I am afraid, my SR fluff knowledge - I joined the whole affair when 4e had been long out, and while I've read some 3e books, I really can't say I know fluff cover to cover.
Though, of course, I've read SoA (and written a page-long post about all the inconsistencies it had in the part on Russia), and maybe if someone could edit my writing, something good might be the fruit, after all.

QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 14 2011, 01:57 AM) *
I'll be honest with you.. right now.. Eastern Europe and Russia/Yakut are a big.. what the hell are we doing with them. Until now noone's really stepped forward.

I'd love to see an intelligent take on Russia in 2073. I suspect a Yakut book will probably be all about Japan, Korea, Northern China, Mongolia. But I'm not super sure.

Given what else has happened in the world. Siberia is probably sparsely populated with a couple of population centers, vast swaths of paracritter infested wilderness, and natural resource raping complexes.

There's been some info on the conflict in the 6WA, are we using that as a canon source?
Regardless, there's a bunch of valid reasons for conflict, most obvious of them being all those diamonds, oil, rare metals and such. And I doubt that the Awakened would allow uncontrolled resource exploitation, seeing their green agenda and the pro-environmental dragon (not sure if Great) backing them. So there's a lot of potential for a fight right there.

In what comes to what Yakut would be like - I imagine the woolly mammoths being reintroduced alone would change the lives of locals quite a bit. Actually, there's much space for Awakened craziness here, with all the species from chipmunks to wolverines to Siberian tigers having potential to awaken and/or produce shapeshifter variants.

Also, Uzhur and Irkutsk being old Soviet nuclear weapon dislocations, there's bound to be a fight over them, too.
Kyoto Kid
...I'll admit, it is intriguing to have pockets of "throwback" tech.

Again as was mentioned, the Crash would most likely not have as such a strong an impact on the already war torn region.

When I still GM'd a 4th ed campaign I already was using isolated matrix systems (well before the release of Unwired). I found the concept a lot more elegant (and cost effective) than having to deal with elabourate and/or exotic wireless security measures and counter measures (and the cost to implement them). You can't hack a system if it isn't on the wireless net. This brought back the need for a more "old school" approach to critical data steals.

I guess I have to think of how, in a totally wireless environment, the Serbian regime was able to launch a successful blitz that caught Croatia with it's knickers down.
Doc Chase
One aspect I'm trying to work on as a native Engrish-speaker is the editing process. It's what I'm doing with the Maracaibo doc - and yes, I'm totally still working on it but I need to post those changes, argh - and I'm happy to do it with the rest of the stuff. I like to think I have a pretty good idea of what you'd want to say as opposed to how it comes across. nyahnyah.gif

In short: The work will be edited, suggestions will be given on content, style and SGP (Spelling-Grammar-Punctuation) will be taken care of. nyahnyah.gif
sabs
I'm also working on Editing. I'm almost a native speaker. I'm bilingual enough that unless I tell people I'm not a native English speaker, they have no idea.

I've just been busy when ever I'm home, and I've been suffering from firewall of doom here at work, so I can't connect to googledocs.

So what we're saying is. If you have ideas, but you're worried about not being a native speaker. Don't be. Doc or I will happily cover your work in red ink wink.gif

Doc Chase
If red ink offends you, I will use green.

biggrin.gif
hermit
I guess I have to think of how, in a totally wireless environment, the Serbian regime was able to launch a successful blitz that caught Croatia with it's knickers down.

- Jammers
- Cyberwarfare kills Croatia's network infrastructure
- troops move rapidly, probably with a corp's backing, using the corp's freight planes as camopuflage, Red Dawn style.
- agents and saboteurs within the Croatian government/army screw up the Croatian countermeasures

Also, the Blitz could have happened DURING the crash, with less developed Serbia taking advantage of the richer, better eveloped Balkan states being in turmoil and moving in.
Fatum
Okay, so here's how I see the general outlines of the Russo-Yakut War description.
Anything you think I should be doing differently?
Kyoto Kid
...yes that could work, particularly the second and fourth points which were very instrumental in the fall of Zagreb in my original storyline.

(a Neo-Anarchist's Digest "condensed" version).

In the history of the scenario the first Serbian regime had outlawed magic and focused on extensive use of tech and cyber. There were both corporate and government players behind the scenes pulling the strings (most notably Yamatetsu). Just prior to the invasion and occupation, there was a radical power shift after the president was assassinated when an explosive device took out in the General Assembly (blamed on "ethnic extremists"). The Bureau of information took control of the country in what was to be a temporary emergency measure until a new president and council were in place. This of course never happened. Three months later Montenegro was annexed with little opposition.

In the summer of the following year the the second airborne and first fighter/bomber and drone wings launched a coordinated attack on Zagreb from both Montenegro and through the disputed region to the south. This was followed by the first and second mechnised divisions. Croat defences never saw it coming. By the time the Croatian military could react, gunship drones were on the outskirts of Zagreb literally flying down the streets on the way to Jelačić Square, the symbolic heart of the Croatian Capital. Once there they opened fire indiscriminately mowing people down with MGs and launching rockets into buildings. This was followed by attack and heavy troop helos of the Serbian Airborne and LAVs of the First Mech unit with additional air support from teh fighter/bomber wing. Within 48 hours it was over. The anemic Croatian forces were no match for the surprisingly "well oiled" Russian equipped Serbian military machine. Zagreb was now an occupied city. In the days that followed, ground units moved into other Croatian cities and in just over a week, Croatia had a new landlord.

Meanwhile, one more "tweak" occurred in the Serbian government. Shortly after the invasion a new organisation entered the scene, the SSPR (Srpski Stanje Pamet Ravnateljstvo - Serbian State Intelligence Directorate) which under it's newly appointed Secretariat-General, Rita Kovec, took full control of the government, effectively taking the final step to moving the nation to becoming a true dictatorship. In an "about face" of policy, the SSPR repealed sanctions against magic put in place by the former regime and began actively recruiting and training awakened individuals, with an emphasis on social adepts who would become the backbone of it's nefarious interrogation division (referred by many as the "Blacksuits").

-----

Admittedly, timing this all with the crash does make sense. It also allows more time for Croatia, Dalmatia and Slovenia to have established themselves following the last Euro war as well as coinciding with certain key events in Russia, most notably the power vacuum in Russia following the death of Orgurznev. I need to go back and re-read Red Storm Rising in SoA.
Fatum
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 16 2011, 04:34 AM) *
Admittedly, timing this all with the crash does make sense. It also allows more time for Croatia, Dalmatia and Slovenia to have established themselves following the last Euro war as well as coinciding with certain key events in Russia, most notably the power vacuum in Russia following the death of Orgurznev. I need to go back and re-read Red Storm Rising in SoA.

By the by, reading SoA has always made me facepalm so hard. Ogurznev is not even a Russian surname, nor is Dzermiya a Russian name (but here I'm giving the writers the benefit of doubt, maybe it's some name from Caucasus region, I am not entirely sure). The nicks of contributors are riddled with spelling errors, the functions of the Russian intelligence and counter-intelligence agencies are messed up, new words are made up by smashing two Russian nouns together, and so on and so for. I really don't know what to do with it in the draft I'm writing - thinking of just stealth-correcting the most glaring issues, but leave out the plot-influencing ones.
Also on SoA, could anyone direct me to Russian history SR version before 2006? How did USSR fall apart there, that sort of thing?
hermit
@Kyoto Kid: Like your Blitz idea and how Evo/Yamatetsu spins this, especially the awakened angle (and the Starship Troopers-esque Psi Corps). Maybe some Eurocorps are allied with serbia too, like ZIC, AG Chemie, or ESPRIT? Also what happened to Bosnia and the Repulica Srbska? I could see pro-muslim Meridional back Bosnia. Meridional needs some use anyway.

@Fatum: I like your outline so far. Some Suggestions:

Armed Forces info: Include something on the shifter/human divide, and spirits commanding the shifters (the famed multi-shifters). Also, feel free to go to town with weird folk legends. After all, shadowrun is the world where those things suddenly spring into existence. Also maybe "it's a dog's life - a guide to life in the Russian army", because we all love our clichés (or not, depending on your image of the Russian army in 2074). The Baltic Fleet and Atlantic fleet probably need to have a desertion problem because, well, they tend to lose subs to just about anyone. Also, there'S a weird but kinda fun story in a German novel I can summary if interested (Sturmvogel, involves nuclear weapons, evles, and russian subs).

Consequences: sattelite access should be mentioned (and the troubles with it; you do not want to coordinate your anti-russian operation over Evo's NavStar network).

Game Info: Maps: I really, really second the typical setup maps. Maybe write up a certain outpost, complete with NPC and all, and a few suggetsions on use, and then give guidelines on adapting it to anywhere? Also, a typical russian warship and tank regiment, a rebel base, and maybe a Yakut army camp.

Russian weapons can well blatantly be stolen; I also have a list of weapons canonically mentioned I could put up.

Yakut tribal magic is described in Target: Smuggler Havens.

new words are made up by smashing two Russian nouns together

My sympathies. I hate it when they do that in German, too.

I really don't know what to do with it in the draft I'm writing - thinking of just stealth-correcting the most glaring issues, but leave out the plot-influencing ones.

Yes, that's probably best.

Also on SoA, could anyone direct me to Russian history SR version before 2006? How did USSR fall apart there, that sort of thing?

Before SoA, most info on Russia was in the Target books. Target: Wastelands has something on Siberia and the siberian parts of TPA. Target: Smuggler Havens, which before SoA was the prime source on Russia. History, political setup et al, but it focused on the literal arse of Russia, Vladivostok, as far away from the centers of power as you can possibly be (lots of stuff on Yamatetsu, though). Yakut has some mention in Target: Smuggler Havens, too.

As to the fate of the USSR, that is somewhat mysterious, as it seems to have existed on until the 2029 crash in 1E's history section and somehow vanished in 2E's, to reappear in 3E supplements.
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 17 2011, 03:57 PM) *
Armed Forces info: Include something on the shifter/human divide, and spirits commanding the shifters (the famed multi-shifters).

Uh, in 4E terms, that'd be Realistic Form and Multiform powers, yeah?
Also on Armed Forces - if we're going to write up unit compositions, do we have standard icons for that?

Also, feel free to go to town with weird folk legends. After all, shadowrun is the world where those things suddenly spring into existence.

Sure thing. Actually, Siberia has quite a number of caves, and I was thinking of putting something, you know, Mysterious in those, too.

Also maybe "it's a dog's life - a guide to life in the Russian army", because we all love our clichés (or not, depending on your image of the Russian army in 2074).

Yeah well, the general outline of the Army affairs is in SoA, and it's pretty much the cliché one. I'm fine with that.

The Baltic Fleet and Atlantic fleet probably need to have a desertion problem because, well, they tend to lose subs to just about anyone. Also, there'S a weird but kinda fun story in a German novel I can summary if interested (Sturmvogel, involves nuclear weapons, evles, and russian subs).

Actually, I wasn't going to write about the Baltic and Black Sea Fleets, since they are so far from the conflict. But it could make an interesting example/Shadowtalk retort/whatever. So please do tell, I haven't read any of SR fiction (and I don't think I'm going to, eh).

Consequences: sattelite access should be mentioned (and the troubles with it; you do not want to coordinate your anti-russian operation over Evo's NavStar network).

Yeah, see, I have it in the draft:
Military communication over vast distances: floating drones, direct link chains, secure landlines, high-signal transmission; jamming and electronic warfare.

I'm thinking of writing up some actual military-grade electronic warfare jamming, maybe up to the point of something capable of jamming sat connections - what can be more fun than fighting in Siberia without command uplink?

Game Info: Maps: I really, really second the typical setup maps. Maybe write up a certain outpost, complete with NPC and all, and a few suggetsions on use, and then give guidelines on adapting it to anywhere? Also, a typical russian warship and tank regiment, a rebel base, and maybe a Yakut army camp.

Here are some maps I've made for my games. Think something like that would work?

Russian weapons can well blatantly be stolen; I also have a list of weapons canonically mentioned I could put up.

Won't we run into trouble with Pegasus?
That'd be nice of you. I have Arsenal 2070, but again - I only have firm knowledge of 4E stuff, earlier than that I haven't read everything yet. You could just list the books, flipping through them would be useful for me.

Yakut tribal magic is described in Target: Smuggler Havens.

Oh, nice, a chapter on Vladivostok, I'm going to build up my version of the Fleet from what they have there, at least.

Now, there's nothing that unique for Yakut magic in T:SH, just stating that they are shamans (which is pretty much obvious already).
And I'm looking for a bit of new spells, maybe a war ritual - see that Bratsk bridgehead massacre in my draft? My design is: Red Army has a large force there, preparing a move down Yenisei, cutting Yakut in half; when something large and magicky wipes them the hell out. Massive spells, powerful spirits, preset charges hidden with magic so far - the whole works.
That allows for the whole further setup for a massive open warfare battle under Bratsk, Yakut forces trying to cut Transsib in Bratsk-Tayshet-Tulun triangle - it'd be boring if we went with the realistic variant of a much smaller more Awakened-gifted army only falling back to guerrilla strikes.
Fatum

My sympathies. I hate it when they do that in German, too.

Well, as far as I know, at least that way of noun composition is used sometimes in German - well, I dunno, take Landwehr or Messerschmidt, off the top of my head. In Russian, it's never never never used just like that - there are compound words, but they are rare, and require a special connector -о- or -е- in the middle between the two roots and the ending from the first simple word is lost.

Before SoA, most info on Russia was in the Target books. Target: Wastelands has something on Siberia and the siberian parts of TPA. Target: Smuggler Havens, which before SoA was the prime source on Russia. History, political setup et al, but it focused on the literal arse of Russia, Vladivostok, as far away from the centers of power as you can possibly be (lots of stuff on Yamatetsu, though). Yakut has some mention in Target: Smuggler Havens, too.

Aha, thanks, I'll read those before writing anything serious.

As to the fate of the USSR, that is somewhat mysterious, as it seems to have existed on until the 2029 crash in 1E's history section and somehow vanished in 2E's, to reappear in 3E supplements.

silly.gif Mind=blown.

By the by, have you noticed that the map in SoA has Krasnoyarsk clearly on the Russian side of the boarder, whereas SWA has it in Yakut already? Seriously, I'm going with SoA version.
Also, is Yupiq (see SWA map, Kamchatka) a name of some Trans-Polar Aleut Nation province or what? If "what", why isn't it mentioned as Yakut's neighbor in the book itself? silly.gif
hermit
Actually, I wasn't going to write about the Baltic and Black Sea Fleets, since they are so far from the conflict. But it could make an interesting example/Shadowtalk retort/whatever. So please do tell, I haven't read any of SR fiction (and I don't think I'm going to, eh).

Okay then.
[ Spoiler ]

I'm thinking of writing up some actual military-grade electronic warfare jamming, maybe up to the point of something capable of jamming sat connections - what can be more fun than fighting in Siberia without command uplink?

Oh, it's most fun in winter! Especially since there are spirits in SR who will actively fight anyone then. And okay, misunderstood you there with the satcom stuff.

Won't we run into trouble with Pegasus?

We could - probably should - ask them, but so long as we don't sell our stuff, I think we're good.

That'd be nice of you. I have Arsenal 2070, but again - I only have firm knowledge of 4E stuff, earlier than that I haven't read everything yet. You could just list the books, flipping through them would be useful for me.

There you go (with sources):
[ Spoiler ]

By the by, have you noticed that the map in SoA has Krasnoyarsk clearly on the Russian side of the boarder, whereas SWA has it in Yakut already? Seriously, I'm going with SoA version.
Also, is Yupiq (see SWA map, Kamchatka) a name of some Trans-Polar Aleut Nation province or what? If "what", why isn't it mentioned as Yakut's neighbor in the book itself?

Yeah, better do, unless you wnat to make that an item, as in the city being taken by Yakut.

As for the weirdness in 6WA ... well, it's brought to us by the people who don't know what a map is, so ... they also seemingly totally forgot to change many borders in Europe and the existence of a couple states that get a writeup because they're sloppy. But I assume Yupiq is supposed to be something like a TPA province. There's a writeup of the TPA in Target: Wastelands.
Nath
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jan 17 2011, 06:18 PM) *

It is more a front line than a border. Since Shadows of Asia and Sixth World Almanac are nine years apart (2063-2071), a change shouldn't be that surprising.
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 17 2011, 11:21 PM) *
Oh, it's most fun in winter! Especially since there are spirits in SR who will actively fight anyone then. And okay, misunderstood you there with the satcom stuff.

I'm preparing for my exam on radiolocation right now, and the chapter on passive noise got me thinking - say, if we ionized the upper atmosphere with magic (basically producing an ionosphere storm) that could ruin sat comms.
Thanks for the weapons write-up; now, the question is how much is too much, I don't think including more than a dozen firearms for each side would do any good.

Yeah, better do, unless you wnat to make that an item, as in the city being taken by Yakut.

Well, I thought of a ceasefire of sorts with the whole Russian power struggle biz and Yakut not really having the manpower to capture a predominantly Russian million-man city.

As for the weirdness in 6WA ... well, it's brought to us by the people who don't know what a map is, so ... they also seemingly totally forgot to change many borders in Europe and the existence of a couple states that get a writeup because they're sloppy. But I assume Yupiq is supposed to be something like a TPA province. There's a writeup of the TPA in Target: Wastelands.

Aha, I'm having my doubts as 6WA being used as a source at all, frankly, with Red Army controlling the Black Sea since they control the Volga from Volgograd.
Though, ok, to be fair, in SoA Rostov is on the shore of the Black Sea, so it's not like SR is getting worse here :3
Fatum
QUOTE (Nath @ Jan 17 2011, 11:58 PM) *
It is more a front line than a border. Since Shadows of Asia and Sixth World Almanac are nine years apart (2063-2071), a change shouldn't be that surprising.

Sure enough anything could happen, but capturing a major city without a full-out war starting? Cut me some slack.
Mardrax
The city could have defected through non-hostile means. Doubtful, of course, through make up of the population, but still a possibility.
Fatum
Uh, and you think that it defecting would not cause a strike back? Frankly, I just don't think so - it's something far too major for the low-intensity war / border conflict Russia and Yakut have been locked in for the last 30 years.

Oh, and I've updated my draft a bit, please criticize it.
hermit
It's a fun read. Some slight bumps with the language (pot->kettle, I know grinbig.gif), but otherwise coming along good. You may want to write a short insert explaining what Rodina means (though it IS self-explanatory in the text). Also, whose voice is that text written in? Ideally, it should be one of our 'talkers (yours included).

How about working out your shadowtalkers a bit, and putting in some of our global list? You could also put your talkers in that list.
Brazilian_Shinobi
I liked Fatum, if you are not authorized to edit the shadow talkers file, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll add you to it.
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 19 2011, 03:31 AM) *
It's a fun read. Some slight bumps with the language (pot->kettle, I know grinbig.gif), but otherwise coming along good.

Yeah, I feel it quite well writing it, too. But eh, I warned about that.

You may want to write a short insert explaining what Rodina means (though it IS self-explanatory in the text).

I'm thinking of making a sidebar with a brief dictionary for slang, obscenities and such. Pretty much like they did in 3E books.

Also, whose voice is that text written in? Ideally, it should be one of our 'talkers (yours included).

Now that's a good question. What's our approach to shadowtalkers, at all? I was going more along the lines of the old Shadowland - some major contributors, some random people leaving a comment or two about their area of competence. Also, who's moderating the discussion? And are we using the old shadowtalkers?
Brazilian_Shinobi
We have a list with 42 shadowtalkers right now. As far as things go, the moderator of our shadow forum is called Grinder (that was no coincidence smile.gif )
hermit
Each author may use local shadowtalkers for flavor, but they shouldn't be more than five all in all.
Fatum
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 19 2011, 03:21 PM) *
We have a list with 42 shadowtalkers right now. As far as things go, the moderator of our shadow forum is called Grinder (that was no coincidence smile.gif )

Aha, ty.

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 19 2011, 04:35 PM) *
Each author may use local shadowtalkers for flavor, but they shouldn't be more than five all in all.

Eh, if we're talking recurring shadowtalkers, five is a number I believe I can live with; yet with the sheer scope of the draft, covering the armed forces from an ocean to an ocean, I feel that having an insider insert a phrase here and there makes the whole thing much more fun to read, same as 3E books did it.
Actually, see what I've written already - I believe I'm long past the "five original nicks", yet only NaSisteme, Kosyak and maybe Polkan will be needed several times.
You haven't answered - are we using the shadowtalkers from original books? I could go with Sturmovik, Red Anya, Battle Pole and such. However, if we're not, we could always say it's a document pulled from Mosaic datahaven in Vladivostok.

Also, have we decided what the Polish Civil War ended with? Or is it in some of the books?

Also also, SoE, SoA and SotA2063 state that UGB is hiring mercs in Constantinople, supposedly for the war with Yakut. What would some good merc companies be? Could tie my draft to the rest of the work, too.

Finally, SoE (Poland) and SoA timelines are inconsistent; and what's worse, their interpretation of the Border Wars differs radically. I guess I should just establish a single non-controversial version, and put a timeline sidebar into the document.
Brazilian_Shinobi
We are not usin official shadowtalkers. That's what our list is for.
sabs
I really like the old..

This is FastJack, I've asked So and So to come and speak to us about X.

We just use Grinder, instead of FastJack.
Fatum
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 20 2011, 12:02 AM) *
We are not usin official shadowtalkers. That's what our list is for.

Noted. Too bad, but eh, whatev.
I've reread the list, and it looks like I'll be able to use a maybe half-dozen of those.
Of course, whatever I'll write will be blatantly uncharacteristic, so of course feel free to correct me.

What about those other questions?
hermit
You can use official talkers, then enter them into our list, give a description, and bolden the name. We did it for a couple already.
sabs
And you can add a couple of Local Russian Shadowrunner types.
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 12:58 AM) *
You can use official talkers, then enter them into our list, give a description, and bolden the name. We did it for a couple already.

You see, what I like about the official talkers is that their areas of competence are at once quite broad and vaguely defined. Say, you need some brief comments on corp relations - Corp Watcher or Chrome Accountant are a no-brainer; any dragon biz - Dragonslayer and Dragon Watcher are there for you, and so on.
The talkers in our list, on the other hand, seem to have their expertise areas narrower.

QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 20 2011, 01:01 AM) *
And you can add a couple of Local Russian Shadowrunner types.

You bet I will. But as long as I'm writing up the armed forces overview, I'll have to go with brass or ex-brass, at least.
hermit
Yeah, Accountant and Corp Watcher can be used. What I'd like, then, would be to standardise this (We'll doubtlessly go over the talkers in editing and change names and voice a bit, to have it feel a little more like one piece, but nothing against known names). However, I'd like to keep the Immortals scarce. They ought to either use an alias that's inconspicious (Miss Tick = Alachia, for instance), or post rarely and erratically.
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 01:14 AM) *
Yeah, Accountant and Corp Watcher can be used. What I'd like, then, would be to standardise this (We'll doubtlessly go over the talkers in editing and change names and voice a bit, to have it feel a little more like one piece, but nothing against known names). However, I'd like to keep the Immortals scarce. They ought to either use an alias that's inconspicious (Miss Tick = Alachia, for instance), or post rarely and erratically.

You can count on that on my side. First, it's not like there's anything for them to talk over in my draft as far as I can see except for Burezmei (who they talked over Ominously in SoE already, with "You-Know-Whom can't be far, too" and everything). Second, I just find Ominous All-knowing Beings From The Ages Past posting on datahavens rather... distasteful, especially when overdone.

Also, you forgot about Poland. And Constantinople mercs - I can't think of anyone but Turkish Gray Wolves so far. D:

Oh, and I've updated my draft with what little I've been able to write today; added a picture with Armed Forces structure, too.
hermit
Poland is covered in War!, though it's pretty boring. Constantinopole, though. Yes. Also, Ukraina Bioenergetica might need some exposure. *Something* was up with them.
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 02:33 AM) *
Poland is covered in War!, though it's pretty boring. Constantinopole, though. Yes. Also, Ukraina Bioenergetica might need some exposure. *Something* was up with them.

Hm, missed that, thanks... but I really don't know what to do about the canon version. Minding that Suchov pretty much commanded the rybokrats during the Civil War, SK "intervention" would mean either using some heavy political pressure in Moscow (and pulling out means losing face for Suchov and two hundred thousands of his troops, and Russia as a whole, as well - which means that SK influence is taking a serious hit) or direct military action (which means losing any influence the corp had in Moscow whatsoever, possibly forever). Also, in SoA numerous talkers noticed how unlikely SK intervention is.
This is a pretty WTF moment; at the very least it means less SK involvement with Russian affairs in the seventies.

Ukraina Bioenergetica? Source?

In what comes to exposure - there may be obsidimen around Baikal, if we go by SoA info...
hermit
This is a pretty WTF moment

War is full of them. smile.gif

It doesn't really make sense, but I guess Lofwyr pulled strings and put pressure on the Supreme Soviet. And they kind of left through the back door, a bit like America left Iraq. "Job well done, let's get the hell out." Or at least, that'S what they sold it as. Maybe they also had a telegenic conference with the rebels.

Ukraina Bioenergetica is a mystery corp from SoA, the Ukraine section (Constantinopole).

Yeah, and there'S a piece of a mother stone that's a MacGuffin in the newest Missions. Well, had they included possession spirits among the playables, we could just build them with Companion ...
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 03:12 AM) *
It doesn't really make sense, but I guess Lofwyr pulled strings and put pressure on the Supreme Soviet. And they kind of left through the back door,

What an unlikely development - more likely than direct confrontation, but still, crap. Minding that Kamendin became the General Secretary, and SK backed Baichuk (and not only backed, but actively pushed Romanov to betray Kamendin, obviously, something he did not do)...

And here we discussed the development with my group (translation mine) rotfl.gif :
[ Spoiler ]

But oh well, I guess we'll have to go with political influence as the most believable option. One which hurt SK influence in Supreme Soviet, too.

a bit like America left Iraq. "Job well done, let's get the hell out." Or at least, that'S what they sold it as. Maybe they also had a telegenic conference with the rebels.

Aren't they still on their bases, ready to provide support? Just pulled out of the FBs and such.

Ukraina Bioenergetica is a mystery corp from SoA, the Ukraine section (Constantinopole).

Hmm, I've flipped through SoA, looking for notices of Ukraine and BU. They seem concerned with Philike Hetairia first and foremost (which I don't think will be able to stand up to SK-backed NEEC). Can't see anything on their mysterious sinister agenda, maybe you could point it out? twirl.gif

Yeah, and there'S a piece of a mother stone that's a MacGuffin in the newest Missions. Well, had they included possession spirits among the playables, we could just build them with Companion ...

Mother Stone? Should I be reading Earthdawn?
Nath
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 12:12 AM) *

Originally, Bioenergetica Ukraine first appeared in Prime Runners, page 56, as the former employer of Richard Petrosian, a corporate scientist working on tactical computers. It was mentioned again in Sprawl Survival Guide, page 77, concerning Odessa economics, then in Shadows of Asia, pages 113, 116, 199 and 200, in Constantinople, and the Caspian sea oil production.
Fatum
QUOTE (Nath @ Jan 20 2011, 04:17 AM) *
Originally, Bioenergetica Ukraine first appeared in Prime Runners, page 56, as the former employer of Richard Petrosian, a corporate scientist working on tactical computers. It was mentioned again in Sprawl Survival Guide, page 77, concerning Odessa economics, then in Shadows of Asia, pages 113, 116, 199 and 200, in Constantinople, and the Caspian sea oil production.

Thank you; yet still I see nothing out of the ordinary about the corp. Seems like pretty vanilla AA to me, concerned with the bottom line first and foremost. What could be "up" with them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012