Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Imladir
~~~~ Main camp, in the afternoon ~~~~

From the east, in the direction of the small creek, comes Dot. Nothing would be remarkable about that, were she not holding the hand of a young elf. Some in the camp remember seing her at the very beginning, but not since then. And given the circumstances, they soon forgot about her.

Even if it’s always difficult to judge with elves, she probably isn’t past twelve years old yet. As most girls of her kind, she’s tall for her age, though maybe a bit less than average. She’s quite thin however and is still very much a child: she has yet to exhibit the first changes of puberty.
Her bright cornflower blue eyes and thin pink lips are a welcome touch of colour on a spotless ivory skin. Her silver silky hair, tied in simple celtic knots, reach the small of her back.
Overall, words such as “pretty”, “beautilful” and so on fall far short of the mark when it comes time to describe her. In fact, even the most cautious of writers describing her may have no choice but to use one single word: perfect. Even her slightly iritated nose and red eyes doesn't manage to tarnish this impression. In fact, it just adds an irresistible air of vulnerability.

Dot stops at the edge of the camp under the curious gazes of those present. There, she explains that she found the young girl asleep in the bushes near the creek and convinced her to come to the camp.

With a small wave of her left hand, the young elf introduces herself, "Hi, I'm Cailin. Nice to meet you.". Those nearest the strange duo can probably hear her adding a "At least, I hope..." under her breath. While not exactly shy, she seems a bit leery about this situation. Something that might surprise the most observants is that despite Dot's assertion regarding where she found Cailin, her flats are in pristine condition, seemingly ironed minutes ago, and there isn't a single rebel hair on her head.

Still holding Dot's hand, Cailin enters the camp itself, with a small smile and nice words to all those that salute her.
Digital Heroin
Day One - Nightfall - West of the Camps
Personality: Blank

As planned, Blank woke in early hours of night, before the sky had a chance to settle into total darkness. By the slivers of twilight left from a sun fled already over the horizon he strikes his makeshift camp. He hydrated again, already aware that his lips were dry despite the care he had taken to shelter himself from the water thief of a hot afternoon. He then took the time to itemize and inspect his salvaged gear by the dying light, and to carefully distribute the items in the frame pack he found in the second crate. When he was satisfied at the load balance and that it did not impede his movement, he shouldered the pack and set off around the ridge to the side where he last left the others far below.

There is no desire for companionship to be had within Blank, though he knows that people can be valuable assets, especially when in prison. He has no illusions now that they are prisoners. From that rise the quiet young man scouted the land and he picked out the camp fires below. They shone like beacons in the night, a ward against casual predators, but a call to the true monsters that lurk in the mountains. Any predator truly bold enough would see the light as a challenge, a lure for food ready to take. Let the ones below shine beacons in the night. He will light a fire only when needed. He will continue to travel by night. He will watch, and wait.

As the night drew deeper, Blank ranged down the mountain ridge and parallel to the riverbed below. He moved by moonlight and scoured the contures of the land in a wide arc, then he collapsed inward on the smaller of the camps. He had no idea who might have decided to seperate themselves from the pack, only that they will have less eyes to guard what they might have taken with them. Another raid, perhaps, and then he will set off down the river by himself, to whatever end it may hold. Little did he know that they had already been attacked in the night, and are one number down. At least he did not when he first started working with way back up the base of the foothills to close in on where he spotted their camp.

It is the blood he encountered first that tells Blank something befell the smaller camp. He predicted that blood would be spilled, though he thought it would be between prisoners. From the looks of the drag trail, and the blood, this could not be the work of a kid. Then again, he knows his own capacity for violence. Who knows what other monsters lurk here. Blank followed the trail of blood until he is close enough to the camp to estimate where it came from. The spot where the blood originated showed signs of an ambush, and little in the way of an actual struggle. Whoever had been standing guard was ambushed, and by something large. Rather than take the opportunity to breach the camp`s perimiter while it was compromised, he instead slowly patrolled around the camp to check that it is secure, and then he settled back away from sight to observe again. Whatever it might have been, it may return now that it has a taste of blood. So he waited to see if it returned. As he waited he selected an appropriately long branch, as sturdy as possible, and he took the time to whittle the end into a wicked point. It is not meant to last long, so he does nothing to temper the tip. It is meant to inflict damage.

When the members of the smaller group emerged from their shelter he listens to the voices. Amid them he recognized that of the boy who stood up to him earlier. He waited, and watched until they emerged, and as they tracked the trail of blood he fell back and followed as well. He remained on the periphery. As they approached the cave he found himself a blind to watch from. The first combat he watched from the distance with a professional interest, and he marked the lithe and all but naked girl as one to watch out for. A fellow monster, perhaps. At least strong enough to vanquish the large cat. The light show is also telling. Blank might not have formal training, but it had been a spell thrower that had messed him up before he woke up here. He knows to be wary of this group.

He continued to shadow them on their first return to camp , and he observed until the young man whose name he did not receive, his informant, separated himself from the camp to find some peace. He did not betray his perch right away, instead he let the young man get ahead, and listened to track by the sound of the boy`s passage.

After a time of observing the young man whittle, Blank emerges from the forest. A silent mass pushing through the brush at first. Simply there. He gauges the reaction, and sets his spear aside, and then clears his throat.

`I told you there would be blood. I told you people would die.` His voice is as cold as ever. Nothing is written on his face. `If you want to survive, you need accept that more will die.`

Blank unslings his pack, and from inside he takes a bottle of water. He offers it over to the other boy for a drink, and then will drink of it himself. Share, but do not give completely. Contrary to that mantra, however, he retrieves one of the fire starters from within the pack, and he sets it down in front of the boy.

`The warrior woman. How did she take down the cat?`
Mercy
Maya looks at Dana in awe. "Very nice. I am glad that you are on our side. Let me see if I can skin these. I will need a lot more wood for a fire so we can smoke the meat. But we should also try to find some evidence that Grok was brought here. Dana, do you need to rest before more spells? If not, can you change into something and go look in the other caves?"
Gilga
QUOTE (Mercy @ Jul 10 2016, 10:45 PM) *
Maya looks at Dana in awe. "Very nice. I am glad that you are on our side. Let me see if I can skin these. I will need a lot more wood for a fire so we can smoke the meat. But we should also try to find some evidence that Grok was brought here. Dana, do you need to rest before more spells? If not, can you change into something and go look in the other caves?"

Dana looked at the two cats and the rest of the party, she felt a bit distant, so much killing in one day. Think like a beast, the beast attacked Grok - it would have taken him to this cave, we've seen the bones, but Grok was nowhere to be found. If Grok did not end up in that cave, than he should probably still be in the vicinity of our camp. Perhaps something *else* made the monster retreat... I think we should get back to the camp now that it is daylight and search again, if only to get my flats back."

She looked at the others and said "I can also search other caves of course, what kind of animal would you suggest? I was thinking of just using a torch and scout but perhaps things seem different in a different perspective?"
Mercy
Maya laughs. "Unless you can lift both of these cats, we are going to be here a while. Your words make a lot of sense. Can you perhaps fly back to the camp and seek out Grok? And your flats?"
irn0rchid
Lindsey is sitting near the cache of supplies with Gem and Nora when one of the other girls brings news of the beautiful new elf in camp. Gem snorts, "Oh, a fancy pants kid from one of the Tir's no doubt. Probably try and convince us she's royal or something!" The other girls all snicker. "This I have to see!" Gem walks off with the other girl leading her to where she last saw the elf. After about 5 minutes Gem returns and starts to chatter excitedly with the other girl about how nice and interesting this Cailin is. "Something definitely fishy is going on here..." Lindsey thinks. Standing up, she tells the others to wait there while she takes a look. Approaching the edge of the camp, she ducks behind a tent and peeks out at the knot of people clustered around the newcomer. "Well, she's definitely cute, for a baby," she thinks, despite the age difference being not that great. Squinting at her to view her 'glow' she can immediately tell she's like Sim, and even has some similarities to what he was doing with the fire. Something is odd about her though, something that she hasn't seen before. The particular aspects of the glow that she's used to seeing with elves are there, but subtly different somehow. At first she chalks it up to the same thing that's making her friends look and behave weird, but then she realizes that she didn't see that effect on Gem, or anyone else...

Stepping back, she turns and moves quickly back to the cache of supplies where she rejoins the girls. "Something isn't right about that new girl," she tells the group. "She's too... perfect. Did you see her clothes? Untouched! We're supposed to believe she's been out there on her own for the last few days? And everyone suddenly loves her? Gem, what gives? You were half ready to punch her when you went to talk to her and now it sounds like you want to kiss her?!" A few of the other girls snicker and Gem blushes but then turns a deeper shade of red as she thinks about what happened, "That fragger! Is she casting a spell on us or something!? I'll kill her!" Gem moves to stand up but Lindsey motions her to stay seated. "Wait, we don't know what's going on. What if you run over there and suddenly fall in love with her again?" Addressing the group, "Lets see what she does first... And try to avoid her; you don't want to end up like Gem!" The other girls laugh until Gem snarls at them and they go back to gossiping about what Cailin's deal is.
Gilga
Dana seems embarrassed she looks around uncomfortably and after a long silence asks "Any idea about the general direction of camp? I... did not relay much on visuals to get in here. " Seeing her confused Summers say, I will take you there it is not very far. The two walk a little bit until Summers points and say - we camped in that creek, don't worry, she points to the horizon. The girl seems pretty savvy in Navigation - or at least as Dana thinks.
Quickly, Dana turns into a bird and fly toward the camp, once there she carefully study the place trying to retrace her steps - if Grok is not at the cave then where is he?
She is happy to see that her flats are still there and quickly wears them to feel less exposed - to help her in the search she attempts to summon a spirit of man.
Please work please work please work - she prays, and to her surprise it actually works. The spirit appears like a pair of floating red eyes, and manifest in front of her.

"Help me find the one I call Grok" She commands, and watches the eyes as they begin scanning the surrounding.
[ Spoiler ]
Imladir
Noticing the new clothes of everyone in the camp, Cailin asks if maybe someone could tell her if there's one for her and Dot and where she can find those. And naturally, they are led to where the supplies are stored...and the group of girls located.
As she approaches and is about to say hello to them though, she has the surprise to see them all get up and go away. She stops, frowning, and glances at Dot before looking at the backs of the girls. None of what she saw previously and what Dot said to her before indicates that the troll can be the source of such actions. So the only solution is that she is the one provoking those. As to why? She's not sure...

Cailin shrugs, and with the help of Dot to reach the bottom of the crate, she grabs her own package, while Dot gets her own in the process. While doing so, she notices the other group's packages and asks why they were not given to them. They're not that far after all, it would just require a couple of hours at most. Learning the reasons formulated by Lindsey, and the intent to keep them, she mutters something and goes to Rick, taking advantage of the distancenow separating her from most of the other girls...and Lindsey above all.

Once she's found him, she talks to him calmly, but in a way such that those who want to hear can.

- Rick, I may not have not been with either camps for the first few days, but I couldn't help notice, and hear about, some disturbing situations... While I might not be comfortable with your display of ruthlessness, I think given the situation it's understandable. And might even be called for. Still, what happened this morning when Lindsey and the girls stole the game brought by the hunters was wrong, and you let them do it. That was wrong you know. It sends the wrong kind of message. Yes, the hunters themeselves got to eat but what about the scouts that found this place? What about those that found the tents or the tools? Are they less desserving?

She pauses, looking at some of those concerned, and continues.

- Are you saying that the girls can have whatever they want if they just smile? I don't think you do, it would be, I'll beg your pardon, pretty stupid...

She frowns, then shrugs.

- Maybe you want to let them have their way to see who will stand up to them. Or to make them pay, some way or another, at a later time. If the latter...

She shivers a bit.

- That's despicable. If the former... It's only a bit better. You cannot rule this camp based on who's stronger. You must be fair, otherwise the strong will lord over the weaker. But the weaker right now are not necessesarily the same as those down the road: who can say what kind of situation we will face. If that happens, the situation will turn ugly fast. You can still mitigate the damages, but you have to do it quick. And fix the causes. On the other hand, regarding this...

She shows her package, still sealed.

- Are you seriously considering stealing those of Maya and her group like I heard? This is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start!

She shakes her head, sad.

- First, bringing the packages to their rightful owners is simply the ethical thing to do. They are not yours, they are theirs. Most importantly, while Maya and those with her may not accept your leadership, it does not imply that they are against you. But you, as the leader of this camp, stealing from them certainly does. What if they had found those packages instead? Or what if they find something at least as interesting as that latter on? Wouldn't you want them to bring yours? And I certainly hope that none of you are considering something along the lines of "there's more of us than them, if they do we'll just go and take it, by force if necessary".

She looks at some of the others for a moment. Given the lowered gazes, she suspects that a few were thinking just that, but doesn't let it interrupt her. If at some point she sees Addie, she will seem a bit disapointed. Not judging exactly, but...

- Please remember that them being away doesn't mean we, as a whole, are weaker. Looking at a problem from two different points of view is often better than not. After all that Maya has said, does any of you think they are not, same as you, looking for solutions to our little problem?

She pauses again, a bit longer, giving the time to all those present to think about it. Finaly, she concludes.

- Helping them is the same as helping yourselves. So, what I'm proposing, is to bring their packages to the other group. With someone to help me of course, those are too heavy for me alone I'm afraid. First to avoid a disastrous solution, and then, to attempt to mend the rift that Maya and you created. Do you intend to prevent me from doing this?

Now finished, she looks at Rick straight in the eyes. Not as a challenge, but confident in what she believes. Waiting for his decision.
Mercy
While Dana and Summer are off looking for the other camp, Maya is working on skinning the cats. She borrows Raf's knife and begins cutting into the thick fur, surprised at how tough it is. "Raf, these pelts might indeed make us some good armor, or at least some good blankets. I am hoping that the meat is not toxic and that we can cook and jerk enough to keep us going for a while, but I have been thinking that it is wrong to keep all of this to ourselves. The five of us, or four if Grok is really dead, can live on the meat from one for a while and we know that there has to be other animals in the area or these cats would have moved on. I will recommend that we give one of the animals to the other camp as a show of peace and faith. It might help some of the younger ones get some food and goodness knows, those ration bars will not last too long. What do you think?"
Aria
Early Afternoon, Day 3

@Rick’s Group

Rick raises an eyebrow at the tirade, not amused precisely but not angry despite the accusations of stupidity… he seems willing to let the little girl have her say even though Simon is visibly bridling at the onslaught and looks ready to give the jumped up princess a slap

“Are you quite finished? You don’t want to insult my breeding or the fact that I’m an orc? I haven’t begun to be ruthless yet, trust me, you will know the difference when I decide it is warranted! I am always fair, provided it doesn’t compromise our chances of survival…so the girls ate first? So fragging what? There wasn’t enough for all so someone had to go first, when more comes they will damn well wait their turn…pretty smiles aren’t going to turn my head let me assure you. Tits aren’t my thing if you catch my drift?

As to the packages, who the hell said we’re stealing anything? Princess Tiger left of her own accord, we don’t know where the frag they went so how the hell do you propose I dish out the loot? Sim tells me that you’re like him…you got any tricks up your immaculate sleeve for finding our missing brethren?

Now ethics are a whole lot trickier from down here on the ground than the black and white cloud you’re orbiting on. I don’t know why we’re here or which fragger is responsible…I doubt we will ever know, that’s not the way the real world works. So, we have to make the best of this fucked up situation and as far as I’m concerned that means looking after me and mine. And before you follow that line of thought to the same jumped up conclusions Maya reached, that doesn’t mean everyone has to agree with me, they just have to work with me so that as many of us that can make it out of this alive. The rift making was all Maya!

She has her own crazy mage with her and we could use your talents here… but if you can’t see your way to helping the group then that’s a sad thing but nobody is going to stop you leaving. But you won’t be taking anything with you that we can use to survive, I’m sorry if that offends you but if you look at the bigger picture I don’t really have a choice now do I? She may be looking for a solution to this mess, but do you really think she will be back to share it with us? They chose to look after themselves rather than help the whole and I don’t have the patience to deal with that kind of selfishness.

I’d be happy to be proved wrong, I’m not an idiot whatever you may think, but in my experience the likes of her will never bend in the wind, and rigid thinking will get you as dead as no thinking at all!

So little girl, what’s it to be?”

@Maya’s Group

And here you sit…two bloodied carcasses that are already starting to smell in the increasingly hot sunshine. Dana’s spirit or her own searching doesn’t seem to have found any clearer signs of Grok…it’s like he’s disappeared off the face of the earth…perhaps he will be fueling you when you eat the meat of these cats?

Mercy
(Posting for Adamu)

"I think your idea is brilliant, Maya. It makes sense diplomatically, and more than that, it's simply the right thing to do. However, rather than just give it away, I think revisiting the idea of a trading relationship is the most constructive option. Speaking of which...." he tossed her the fire-started he'd received from the sociopath.

"Thank you. This will save us a lot of calories. Look, I'm making arrows. And now that we've killed the cat, I am sure I can fashion a bow. One for myself might not have much pull, but I could do something much more taut for you. Of course I'd have to provide for my campmates first..."

Rafferty's indirect invitation was met with a blank stare. He was pretty sure the older boy understood his meaning, but was not surprised at the lack of response. This one would be a valuable ally, but it would take some work.

"Not sure how much you saw. The rest of us were all outside at the time, but it seems clear she used an attack spell. Indirect, I believe, because she herself was apparently hurt by it. And by the cat itself. Nasty bite. Seemed to revel in the whole experience though. And seemed just as eager to fight with her hands as her spell. The ferocity, the magic, the physical toughness, they all spell a formidable foe." He kept his voice casual. It wasn't a threat, or even a warning, but it couldn't hurt to let this fellow know that there was strength in their camp. "For all that, though, she's no threat. Nothing but nice, actually, and quite concerned for our safety. Rather like her."

"Got it from my knife friend when I was off by myself an hour or so ago. He was interested in Dana's capabilities."

He helped with cutting the skin. "Yes, this will be rather more durable than these flats, though my family name is Farewell, not Greystoke."
Mercy
While Raf finishes cutting the meat, Maya and the returned Summer are cooking it up and setting thin strips of meet out on an improvised drying rack. She scans the area frequently for signs of Dana returning, hoping that they have not lost yet another valuable team member. She listens to Raf and smiles, "I am interested in Dana's capabilities, but I am also interested in the capabilities of the rest of us. We need to work as a team in order to survive. Someone put us here for a reason and I would like to know why, but I doubt it was just for fun. A lot of effort went into getting all of us here and the various crates that have been found. This other boy out there watching us concerns me, though. We could use his help and he could probably use ours. Hmmmmm, that meat smells done so we should move it to the finished pile and put some more on. I would hate to have to throw any of it away, but I think we can get almost all of it cooked up or drying on that makeshift rack. My, you are pretty handy with that knife."

Imladir
Cailin shakes her head.

- No, I don't intend to insult your breeding or the fact that you're an orc. I won't pretend that I'm entirely comfortable with it, but that's something I have to work on, and nothing you have to worry about. At least I hope I can promise I will not let this be a factor into what I say or do.

She sighs.

- And you're right, I shouldn't have implied that you were stupid, that was uncalled for and I apologize for it.

She lets a few seconds pass to let Rick see her sincerity, then continues.

- I never said though that everyone had to agree with you. I think. Someone has to make the decisions, and there's no way all those decisions can satisfy everyone, I recognize that. And I will agree with you that Maya is probably more to blame than you in this rift making thing. Still, for better or for worse, you are the leader of this camp. Ultimately, what happens is your responsibility. Even if you didn't know it before hand. That's what it means to be a leader.

She seems to hesitate a bit, then adds, a little slower.

- Maybe that's my idealistic views on things. You may be right about my bi-colour cloud. I can't say I have any experience quite like this situation we're in.

She smiles ruefully then shrugs.

- But yes, I do believe that if she finds a solution, she will come back and tell you about, if for no other reason than to show you she is better at this than you are.

She seems to be considering what to say next - or how to say it - for a few seconds, before she continues.

- And I don't propose to take anything that can help you survive. Those...clothes...seem to be custom fitted. They will be of no use to you. And you're right, like Sim, I'm a mage. In training at least, don't expect me to make everything right by waving my hands in the air a bit. Given what I heard, I don't expect this to be well received in some parts of this camp though. But yes, it means I can find the others relatively easily. As I said, they're not too far from here.

She rubs her chin a bit, and continues.

- I may be able to help a bit here. I don't know with what yet, but... well, if nothing else, despite the thoroughly unpleasant nature of the astral in the region, spirits are always useful. Still, please, let me bring their clothes to the other group. They are of no value to you, and you can make it a gesture of good-will if nothing else.
Gilga
If the spirit could not find any sign of Grok than nobody could, he was simply not around. With a sigh Dana returns, with Summers signal she does not need to navigate. The two girls arrive back at camp and Dana announce "I believe Grok is dead, I could not find any new lead in the camp and I used a method that does not often fail. If he was alive and anywhere near I would have found him.
I think you might find his remains in the guts of these beasts. They must have consumed him not long ago. "

She sighed but then relentlessly asked "Look this is too much meat for us, we are only four. There is a camp filled with mouths to feed and they have things we need. I believe we can also try to fish, this pond may have edible fish in it. Shell we send a message to the main group that we are interested in trade?

Mercy
Maya laughs. "You missed my earlier conversation while you were out looking for Grok. I agree that this might be too much, especially since I believe that there may be other animals in the area. I was thinking of giving the meat from one of the cats to the other group. They might need some if they are not already hunting. We are cooking up some of it now. I do not know about sending a message, but was thinking more about taking it there. Trading it for some tools or blankets might be nice. What do you think?"
Gilga
Summer said "I can send them a message if you like, I have an implemented commlink I talk with another girl from that camp all the time."

Dana looked impressed "You are very kind for coming with us then, my methods would have been a lot more unorthodox. I believe that sending a message is better as we need to preserve this meat before it goes bad. We'll defiantly need to trade as Rick did not let you guys bring any tool with you - it is only fair that they share a little bit. We help them survive they help us survive this is how it works.

The other camp has plenty of menpower - they can just send people to take the carcass. There is no need for us sending it. Besides, being so few we should not so easily split. Who knows if these two were the only predators in this area.

Summers - can you try and get Addie on the link so that we can talk to her? Ask her if they could use about 600 pounds of meat."
Mercy
Maya nods. Things are developing as she had originally hoped. If others can step up into the leadership role, she can gradually step aside. She has never really wanted to lead people, hell, she has never really liked being with people. This small group is fine, but she still hopes that someone else steps into the leadership role. She nods at the others, "I like that idea. Summer, please contact the other group if you think you can. Tell them that we have some meat to trade for some tools. I would rather give them the meat to carry back and leave us with the skins as we may need them for blankets or clothes. You can tell them of the place we found as well. These caves might prove to be easier to defend and the group might benefit more than we would. I am sure that there are other places for us."

In the meantime, she continues to cook meat and prepare more for drying. She also finds a nice sharp rock and lays out the two skins, beginning to clean all the excess far and meat from the hides. She is careful to do as little damage as possible and curse softly to herself every time she cuts through the hide. "It is a good thing there are two of these." She looks up at Dana. "You don't have some sort of spell to do this, do you?"
Gilga
Dana laughs "This place is our place, you are a terrible businesswoman. Stop worrying so much for them. We are not just giving away this place to walk empty handed and unequipped into the wilderness, we are lucky today but tomorrow we might be in need. If they want this place they'll have to offer something in return. This entire day would have looked differently if the first tiger had beaten me a bit stronger - keep that in mind the next time you feel generous. "

While Summers tried to relay a message to Addie, Dana set with Maya and tried to help.

"You don't have some sort of spell to do this, do you?"

"I can perhaps cook the meat in some very dangerous and unorthodox manner, but I would not know how to shape furs with or without magic." She is only half joking...
Beta
(ooc note: this happens shortly before Cailin's arrival)

Prying Niyaf away from the other girls ended up being the hardest part of putting together the little foraging party.

Jugalo seemed as happy as ever to have something to do – or possibly just to hang around with Addie. She made a mental note that it might be best to stop making use of him for a bit after this, before he came to assume too much familiarity. But she had to admit he was a willing worker, more apt to joke than complain when challenges came up, and he seemed generally pretty competent. All of which made it hard not to look to him when she wanted help with something.

Addie had been surprised to find that Jamal was from the Cascade Orc, not from a street gang, but it had quickly become apparent that he was uncomfortable around non-orcs so had been sticking ‘with his own kind’ as he put it, even if he didn’t share a lot of experiences with them. When Addie had talked to him on the march to the new camp he’d been happy enough to talk with someone with any exposure to the forests of the Cascade Mountains, and had been willing to teach Addie Or’zet names for things in the natural world, so it didn’t seem like he was biased against humans particularly, just more comfortable around other orcs. When she and Jugalo had asked him to be their team guide on a foraging run he’d been happy for the opportunity to get away from camp for a while – Addie suspected that dealing with so many strangers was exhausting for the poor kid.

Leslie was an Arkansas farm boy, with a great eagerness to emphasize the ‘boy’ part. With his long hair, post-growth-spurt litheness, and a still soft and un-whiskered face he really could have passed for a young woman who hadn’t yet developed curves. Adding that together with his name made it clear why he felt the need to defend his gender so vigorously. Addie couldn’t help but worry that being possibly the prettiest boy in camp might put him in more danger than being just one more girl; her concerns had only grown when she’d hinted at her concerns and he’d seemed entirely oblivious about any such dangers, and possibly even oblivious to the idea that gay people existed in real life, not just in trids from Horizon and Evo.

She’d wanted Leslie in this foraging group because he seemed to know quite a bit about plants in general and not just farm crops -- but she also thought that bringing him along might help protect the boy in various ways. Just getting him out of camp for a while might avoid some dangers, showing that he was valued might be protective, as would -- hopefully -- building some bonds between him and a couple of the orcs. And finally helping him get to know Niyaf could be good, as maybe he’d confide any problems he was having to someone smaller and less imposing than him, when he might not want to admit weakness to others who seemed more threatening.

Niyaf was key because she’d lived most of her life in Morocco before moving to Los Angeles with her family a few years ago, and she seemed to know more than she realized about plants in arid conditions. Addie hoped that with some time and lack of other distractions she could get the other girl to pull some useful information from that background knowledge. The only problem was that the other girls had bonded into a group more quickly than Addie had expected (and if she was honest with herself she was maybe a bit dismayed that this had happened largely without her. Clearly she should have given the others more credit than she had.) Niyaf was reluctant to head out into the bush with three boys, and that Addie was going to be there too wasn’t making her a lot more confident.

Addie berated herself for not staying awake long enough to make it into the girls tent. She could just imagine the gossip that may have happened after she insisted on the girls having their own tent, then not sleeping in it herself. She wondered who they thought she may have spent the night with? Tonight she’d have to make sure to get into the tent, be part of the sleepy evening and morning gossip, even if it meant wasting hours when she could be doing something. “Building bonds is doing something, Addie!” but no matter how many times she reminded herself of that, it still felt like it would slacking off to just lie there and talk when there were things to build, guard rotations to take, plans to be developed …

In the end she had to get somewhat high-handed with Niyaf. Not great for making friends, but finding food really did need to take priority. She crowded the smaller girl away from the other and explained why Niyaf was needed – but told her that she was coming, rather than asking.

“A big group is distracting, we need our eyes on the ground, the plants, any threats, and our thoughts on where we could find food. A larger group will make this harder, that is why we can’t take many of the girls today. If we find a good food source today, then maybe we take some of the other girls back out there tomorrow to gather more -- but for scouting today we have to keep it pretty small. You are the person who has the most knowledge of things in this sort of climate, at least that I’ve identified so far. We have people who are used to being outdoors and who know plants, but not in places like this. We need your experience; you may not have foraged for plants but you might recognize things we’ll miss because we don’t know some of the species around here. You are not replaceable, so go tell the others that duty calls, and let’s get going before it gets too hot.”

Oddly it was that last bit that seemed to have done the trick. Niyaf shot back “If you are serious about this, we should have been out two hours ago – I’d better come or you will probably all give yourself heat stroke.”

Addie could have done without the attitude and back-talk, but as long as they got moving she wasn’t going to argue the point right now. As they finally headed out she glanced around to check on Dot, but the troll wasn’t in sight. Addie was pretty sure that Dot was too big to be in much danger if she was out on her own, but she still wished that she wouldn’t wander out of sight quite so often.
Mercy
Maya laughs. "No, I am no businesswoman at all. I have spent seven years in wildernesses like this, with only a couple of weeks in some sort of civilization between trips, and I use the term civilization quite loosely. Much of the time it was just a small village or town that had some connection to the matrix so my parents could deliver an animal or two and check in to see where we were going next. Even the hospital I was sent to after the tiger attacked me had to struggle with running water and power enough for all the medical equipment. So, no, not much civilization and not much chance to learn anything like business sense. That is why I make a poor leader; I do not have a lot of experience in needing to get along with anyone my age and certainly not with leading anyone."

She watches Dana as she helps with the hide. "Let's not use the unorthodox and perhaps dangerous methods unless we need to. Here, you are doing good just there, but try to use shorter strokes and keep the sharp edge of the rock at a little better angle. There, just like that. See, almost done with the first hide and then on to the second. And most of the meat is cooking or drying. We are making progress." She looks over at Summer. "Any luck getting hold of anyone at the other camp?
Gilga
Dana sighed not sure how to speak about the past, how do you share that you were developed in a lab. That most of your sisters have died terrible deaths. Countless deaths with unspeakable genetic defects - all for the unholy goal of killing more efficiently. A weapon - so strong and once developed - a game changer. That her only formal education is gathered with a group of religious fanatics that burned her lab and saved her by accident, by mistaking her for regular elf - not even considering that the horrific experiment had a success. And Once they figured out what Dana was they wanted to slay her too - but their leader saw something different with her... That bastard.

Dana listens closely to Maya and tries to follow her instructions "I know nothing about business myself - I was never designed to negotiate... I was designed to fight, kill and die., all to please greedy suits with no God. It is difficult to keep me caged tough,
some beasts are meant to run free. Maybe some of the business stuck on me just like passive smoking, or bad perfume.

When I saw how Rick was willing to send you into the wilderness to die, equipped with nothing but the clothes on your bodies - not even food. This is when I understood that such a person would never offer us any freebies. He just care about making an example of us. "
Mercy
Maya listens to Dana then frowns a bit. "You have mentioned being crested before, as if you were grown or something. Do you mean you were trained to be a killer? Wow, I just cannot fathom that sort of thing. I cannot believe that anyone can just pop from the womb as a killer. You have to be taught that, and that means that you can learn other things as well. And as for Rick, I think he made the right choice. Sending the five of us off on our own with supplies would have made it much harder to support all of those still there. I personally think he took a bit of pleasure out of it, but that is just my impression and may not be correct. No, I can understand his point of view and if I were a bit more capable of talking to others, our group might be larger. It is just that he was far too willing to talk about how he would force people to do what he wanted them to do, and I could not bear staying where that sort of government prevails. Too much freedom in my life, I guess. And there we go, the second hide done as well as we can for now. These are probably not the best to use for clothing, mostly because they were our first tries, so perhaps they ought to be blankets."

She gets up and goes over to where Raf and Summer are just about done with the meat. "Nice job, you two. That will mean some good eating for a bit, longer if we are careful. And still leave us some to trade away to the other camp once we make contact with them. The cooked stuff will still only last so long, but the jerky there ought to last quite a bit longer. Raf, I think I was careful enough with the sinews and other bits for us to fashion a couple of bows, what do you think? Now I think it is on to trying to do something with the stomachs as water skins."
Gilga
Dana smiled "This is what I trained to do my entire life build up muscle strength, reactions, agility and skills. I did learn other stuff I speak 3 languages and can cook and also have a basic knowledge of engineering. Though it is hard to say what is nature and what nurture, my options were extremely limited. I grew up sinless in cooperate grounds, a very nice prison with plantations, fields and tall electrical fences and armed guards. A beautiful prison and some people would have volunteered for these life...

I can learn sure I never once said I cannot learn, my focus is on continuing to build up my body - some combats you only get to lose once. "

Mercy
Maya nods as she puts the finishing touches on preparing the stomachs. "Yes, I can agree that much of what we do is based on our environment. I look around me right now and am very glad that I have spent years in the wilderness. And I am very glad that you learned to be the combat woman you are. And I am also thankful for the skills and talents that Raf and Summer bring to our little group." She turns to the others and says, "Hey, given that the meat is still cooking, I would like to propose that we claim one of these caves as our home, even if it is temporary. Any comments?"
Gilga
Dana looked at the water and then said "These mountain water are extremely cold, perhaps I can better preserve the other carcass, like a refrigerator. If we keep it underwater it should remain fresh. Protected from flies and the heat of day.". Should Maya agree, Dana quickly walled a small part of the pool and helped the others place the other skinned carcass inside. That should keep it fresh until the other group uses it and the wall would prevent fish from eating it.

[ Spoiler ]

To Maya's suggestion she replied "Lets see how healthy the animals here are and decide according to that, if it is good for them it is good for us I guess, but if all of them have too many legs or eyes we should keep going. We know too little of this place to make such a decision, if any we met mutated mountain lions in here - so the place might be irradiated or something." Dana then goes to the pool and observe the fish and vegetation trying to figure out how healthy they appear to be. She is no expert but, if they are going to spend more than a day or two she needs to know - that background count that obscures magic from her is sometimes related to pollution - that much she knows already. Such a bad background count with a place that appears natural and untouched by modern society must have a reason.
Aria
Mid Morning, Day 3

@Rick’s Group

Rick laughs… “and there we go again, good will, being nice, when will people understand that neither are going to help us survive this fragging mess!? Both are niceties that we can’t afford, civilised society disappeared when we were dropped here, not that it existed for most of us anyway. Those clothes are going nowhere, what if we need to patch ours or they could be used for other things where strong fabric is a necessity? If Maya and her cronies want to come back and join us that is of course different, I’m not holding on to them just to be spiteful but I will not give away resources for no gain.

So here’s a deal…you do some scouting for me…” and he wiggled his fingers in the traditional magicy way “and I will give you one set of the garments for Maya’s group. If they want more of them then I want something else in return…”

@Maya’s Group

Summer has a faraway expression reminiscent of people immersed in their AR feeds, something you hadn’t realised you’d missed until just now…

“I’ve spoken with Aria. It seems like someone from the other group has found custom armour for each of us but Rick is holding on to it as a bargaining chip. I will try and reach Addie and see if we can do a deal for the food…would that be something you want to trade for?”

Gilga
Dana looks at the rest and then says "I am fine with these terms, decent armor would make injury less likely."
Mercy
Maya looks at Summer and nods. "Yes, that would be something to trade for. Please let Aria know that we have fresh meat that we will trade for our own clothes, but that the window is closing rapidly as we do not want the meat to spoil. Thank you, Summer."
Imladir
Cailin sighs. She seems a bit depressed.

- Ok, I'll do that. What do you want to know?

Once she has yold Rick what he wants to know - or as much as she reasonnably can - Cailin will hesitate a bit before asking for Dana's clothes. From what she knows, Dana would be the first line fighter of that group, thus the more likely to be injured. Once in possession of it, she declares that she will bring it to them now: there's nothing to gain by waiting. If Rick needs her, not that she knows for what exactly, he can just ask Sim to send a spirit her way. She may be going to Maya's camp right now, but that's not a permanent arrangement. Well, at least she doesn't want to choose a camp; maybe there's no room in between for Rick but that will be his decision, not hers.

She then says that she would be a lot more comfortable accompanied on the way and asks if someone would like to join her - looking at Dot - but is surprised when a tough looking female orc approaches and rumbles that she will. The orc turns to Rick, and says:

- Don't get no idea boss, just making sure the lady dont go hurting her pretty legs on the way, not leaving. And do a little recon in the process, you know.

She could be pretty if...well, if one liked toothy and hard smiles such as the one she's sporting now. And the hard muscles of course. Suddenly a hell of a lot less sure of herself, Cailin seems to want to reconsider all this. But then, she is promptly called by Klarissa, her new companion. She looks a bit forlornly to Dot, who seing that decides to come too. Without bothering to tell anything to Rick, probably just thinking that it's the thing to do and not even thinking about potential consequences.

As soon as they have left the camp, Cailin summons an Earth spirit, asking it to assist her and her companion(s) such that they can quickly get to their destination without injuries. Much of the afternoon being gone, she doesn't want to spend too much time on the way. And a broken ankle wouldn't help one bit... Fot the next minutes, she attempts to befriend Klarissa, but is not sure at all to succeed: she comes from London's ghetto, and...well, let's say that the Tirs are not her favourite people. Still, maybe by the time they reach their destination, Cailin will have succeeded in convincing Klarissa that she's not like that, for want of making her a friend. And will have gained a view of how life is in London's ghetto for her troubles. Not sure if Klarissa is not pulling her leg here though... Come on, eating rats? No way!

On the way, Cailin will change into her new clothes, neatly folding her flats and bringing them with her.
irn0rchid
Lindsey's group had been sitting on a couple of downed logs gossiping about Cailin while the impromptu gathering was going on at the supply cache. Watching the kids practically fawn over the newcomer has Lindsey getting increasingly angry. Eventually Cailin leaves with one of the orcs from Rick's group in tow, carrying what looks to be an extra one of the clothing bundles from the stash. Hopping up without a word, Lindsey heads quickly back into camp, the others trailing behind her in a confused mass. Stomping* up to Rick, she plants her feet and asks, "What, did she get to you too? Why'd you let her take that?"

Rick glowers down at her before snarling, "Did you think that just because you're on the 'tribunal' that it suddenly gives you the right to question me? I'm still the leader here and I'm going to do what I have to in order to keep this camp going. Unless someone else wants to step up?" He glares around the gathered kids, "No? I didn't think so." Looking back down at Lindsey, "What is your problem anyway? Why do you care that she took Dana's clothes?"

Realizing things weren't going her way, she changes tacks, "It's not the clothes, it's her! Or did no one else find it weird that she shows up out of nowhere looking like she just stepped out of an advertisement for flats? I know I'm dirty and my clothes were falling apart before we got these new ones, but not her! And suddenly everyone she talks to thinks she's the best thing since soybread? No... something's wrong with her... And she took the armor for the other mage in Maya's group? Surely that's not a coincidence." Pointing a finger at Rick and then downhill, "You want to keep the camp safe out here? Maybe you should worry a bit more about what's going on over there..." Winding down, Lindsey finally takes a deep breath then realizes just what she's said and looks back at Rick worriedly.

*Well, she was trying to stomp. It's not very effective when you're as small as she is!
Gilga
Dana looked at Summers and then Raff that had no objection and then said it "It is settled then... Armored clothes for meat... though I'd still love to wear tiger pelt - it feels more me than some factory produced suit." Once they finished making the meat Dana allowed the rest to clean the cave. While she dedicated herself to her other commitments - a body like hers is not easily achieved.

Dana's training started with a scout jogging in the vicinity of the camp, she could see the other larger camp and how most of the people sat there idly - perhaps there was not much to do for such a large number of them. She thought and continued to run, seeing some of their hunting groups leave/return from their days. She even saw Nora and Dave trying to practice what she taught them. "Very poor - but at least they are trying to fight each other." she thought - the other three were sort of practicing punches with little Ron holding some sort of sack.

Dana passes by that group and quickly charges them, subduing Dave. "Keep practicing" Dave said "Trying to keep busy, there is not much to do. Does not seem like much food left either." Dana smiled and said "keep fighting, I think you'll eat well tonight if the leaders get the politics reasonably... we have so much meat, it will take us a while to eat all of it." From the way Dana said leaders - it was clear that she does not believe in any kind of authority. She understood that they needed to trade - she was not naive but splitting into 'us' and 'them' over living arrangements seemed idiotic - politics were dirty... but this was how things happened.

The kids seemed surprised, they stopped fighting and looked at Dana 'but --how ?' Dana did not answer, "just work on these punches alright?" She showed the kids a few more tricks and then continued training building her muscles and fitness - sadly none of the kids was good enough for her to benefit from fighting with. As she practiced alone, a large looking ork approached the kids, "What are you doing Dana - you are not from this camp." Dana looked at the orc and said "I do not care about politics - your terrain is more suitable for running. Either help me train or stop wasting my time."

The orc introduced himself as Muhammad and said " I fight warriors, not keebs and definitely not girls." Dana looked at him with hostility and returned to train, in somewhat fluent Arabic she said "كنت خائفا أن يخسر، ولكن أنا أفهم منك." meaning "You are afraid to lose - but I understand you." Muhammad seemed surprised at her command of the langue and asked about her origin, but Dana ignored him as practicing on her muscle strength seemed more important. She said "not all of us are born Orcs - and thous that are born elves and females need to work twice as hard to achieve reasonable strength. Dana could swear that Muhammad was staring at her and the kids fighting - either to mock their pathetic skills or to judge and evaluate Dana. He seemed to look too carefully, and not in the way guys were usually looking at her.

It was early evening when Dana returned camp, exhausted.

Before Dana left she looked at Nora and the tension between the two was there. Dana extended her hand and said "I cannot blame you for fearing me, I am a very dangerous woman." Nora looked at her ashamed, she wanted to say something but the words refused to align themselves to form a coherent sentence. "I... I am sorry." She said without extending her hand. Dana replied "do not be sorry, be strong, stay alive." And returned toward her smaller camp - a place where she felt more needed.

As Dana returned, the place looked tidy - the others have not been idle. She looked around, camp and saw a small fire with Summers, Raff Maya and two more figures seating by it, a small beautiful elf girl and a troll. She waved them hello as she joined the fire "Did you come to take the meat?" She asked, as she sat down by the fire. Dana wondered if anyone was brave enough to try the tiger meat yet.
Imladir
Cailin smiles at Dana, but shakes her head.

- No, like I was saying to Maya, I'm here to give you this.

She helds out a small package to Dana. With a sad smile, she adds.

- I hoped I could bring all of them to you, but Rick was adamant and refused to give them without something in return. And since you seemed the most exposed to injury, I chose yours. I'm not used to this kind of things but I should have tried harder, I'm sorry .

She sighs, silent a moment, then waves at Klarissa.

- Oh and you probably already know Klarissa. She was nice enough to accompany me here. And Dot of course but I don't know if she will want to stay or return to the main camp.

She smiles happily to the orc and troll, then looks at the meat.

- I only heard about this meat when I got here. But I suppose it would be one way to get some more clothes or other tools, though I may be able to help as far as tools are concerned. You'd have to be quick and bargain hard for what you have and want however. They are getting their act together as far as food is concerned and are determined to not gift you anything. I think Rick believes it would weaken his position.

She seems sad, maybe a bit depressed. Then she asks.

- Did you check if this meat is safe? It doesn't seem to be...er...as natural as I'd like... I don't know how you got it - even if I can guess - but it looks like it could kill me even dead and cooked...
Gilga
To say Dana is surprised with the beautiful elf words would be an understatement, at first there is this voice that is like bells in her ears. Then there were the words themselves, this angel of beauty was there to give her a gift? - but what? how? Dana blinks surprised and overwhelmed as the young girl, hands her a package 'Dana Israeli'... They even got her 'family' name - but that name was nothing more than 'Doe' in Hebrew. Her parents gave it to her when Dana insisted of having a family name. Israel Israeli was 'Jhon Doe' in Hebrew, Israeli was the name she got - a name that was no name at all, an Hebrew Jane Doe. How could they know about that.
Dana looks shortly at the gift only to hear the wonderful voice yet again. She lifts her head to the young and delicate elf - she is like a flower, a beacon of kindness.

Callin apologizes? What is going on? Where is she coming from and why does she treat them like that? Dana looks at her as she tries to parse these wonderful words into a sentence. Dana can feel how blood rushes to her cheeks, she blushes - she cannot understand it. Her hair 'blushes' as well and turns into a very distinctive shade of red. She feels ridicules and embarrassed. Dana tries to respond, but is unable of saying more than an uncharacteristically shy ...Thank you She finally said and it took her entire composure not to look away and bury her face in her hands.

Dana nods at Klarissa and Dot, and extends her hand, "Dana" she say politely - or as close to polite as she can muster. To the reference of meat she laughs softly and allowed Maya to explain that the meat is safe to consume. Dana takes a bunch and chews it... it is difficult to chew, but the taste itself is crude but edible. Not as refined as the kind of stuff Dana is used to cook, better than nutrition bars.

she said Here, help yourselves, we spent all day preparing this meat. There is plenty to go around. She said and gestured toward a large rock that served as a shared plate. With what little they had to work with.

- I only heard about this meat when I got here. But I suppose it would be one way to get some more clothes or other tools, though I may be able to help as far as tools are concerned. You'd have to be quick and bargain hard for what you have and want however. They are getting their act together as far as food is concerned and are determined to not gift you anything. I think Rick believes it would weaken his position.

Dana said "You are probably better at this than any of us, please do bargain. We have an entire carcass underwater stored, for the main camp."

- Did you check if this meat is safe? It doesn't seem to be...er...as natural as I'd like... I don't know how you got it - even if I can guess - but it looks like it could kill me even dead and cooked...

Dana looked at her, with compassion and said I'd agree that it need some spices, perhaps black paper and honey, garlic - defiantly garlic. I'll also serve it with some meshed potatoes - I have not set up a kitchen yet and I am unsure how sensitive your digestive system is. Dana say and she is not entirely joking - she is totally anticipating about serving the meat in that particular manner. Had they a serious pot, she'd also cook the meat for six to eight hours to soften it.

She then adds

It is the only thing we have to eat so far. These were the alpha predators of this region, as of tomorrow we will hunt whatever they used to hunt, their cave was full of bones of creatures large and small. It will now be our home, at least for a while... Maya said that if predators so large could sustain themselves in here - than so can we. We... had an accident with these, they killed one of us. I killed both of them this morning, the one you are eating gave me a nasty bite, she exposes her leg and shows them what little is left from the bite marks after the heal spell was done... It was incredible
she said.
[/color]

Dana then hands the packet to Summer and ask her Can you tell me what company made these? Do they have any AR branding on them, a cooperate logo - anything? Summer nodes and enters that AR stare state of her, trying to figure out - who manufactured that thing, and when.
Imladir
Cailin smiles happily. Obviously, she doesn't seem to need much for that even in those circumstances...

- You're welcome.

When Dana introduces herself, Cailin gasps, blushing a bit, mortified.

- I am terribly sorry, this was an inexcusable lapse on my part. I am Cailin.

She dips her head, embarassed. After a long inspiration, she raises it again but her face reflects her somber mood. Either she doesn't make any effort to hide her emotions, or she just never learned.

- I don't know if I am better than any of you to bargain with Rick. Nuada knows I never had too. Not that I asked for extraordinary stuff at home, but...

She sighs, longingly, but probably not as much as one could expect. Not that she's not missing home, far from it. More that she seems to have accepted the current situation.

- I can try to be some kind of...middleman...beetwen you and Rick. If that's satisfactory to you of course. I do not wish to be seen as anything else than "one of those who got dropped Cu Chulainn know where". While it might become uncomfortable on occasions, I think it would be better were I not part of one camp or another.

She pauses, considering.

- Of course, I may not be able to, that will depend on Rick. And you of course.

She looks at the meat, a small smile on her lips.

- Oh I think I would even be able to eat this with peas.

She wringles her noise, muttering a "never liked those" in pure Sperethiel.

- But meat alone will do. Beats nothing at any rate. Even if it does make me a bit ill... Can't be much worse than the air at any rate.

She puts the back of her hand to her nose, which seems to be a bit irritated. After a while, she eats a bit, chewing with application. Probably not used to something quite like that but by the small murmurs of contentement you can tell that she doesn't mind, happy to fill her stomach.

Once satisfied, she gets up, and lively exclaims that now she has to work to pay for that food. She has just the right thing in mind. She wanders not too far, picking small rocks (flint) on the ground as well as pieces of wood and other small stuffs, before coming back with her harvest and sitting down by the fire.

She will start by assembling wood and flint, to make some simple tools like a saw, a wood chisel and some knifes.
Artisan (making tools for wood work): 10d6t5 4
Once this is done, she will start using the remainder of the small wood she gathered to make forks and spoons.
Artisan (making forks & stuff): 12d6t5 5

She will set the spoons and forks to dry by the fire to be reasonnably sturdy. Those observing her work can quickly see that she seems completely incapable of not embellishing the pieces she works on with some carvings of animals, flowers or esoteric symbols, whatever comes to mind. The set of knife, fork and spoon she gives to Maya has a nice tiger carved on it for example.

- Here. I could make some bowls, cups and plates, but I would need more wood for this. Given the time, it's better to wait for tomorrow I think. I hope you like it?

She looks at the small group (Dot and Klarissa included), waiting for their reactions. She seems a bit anxious.
Beta
Addie's foraging group returns with at least some foodstuff, some wrapped in t|e top of Jagalo's flats, the rest in the tied off legs of the bottom of Addie's flats. She'd decided that at the rate she'd been tearing them up it had just made sense to get some utility from them instead. she suspected that Jugalo had just been happy to show off his toned physique in the body glove.

Rick didn't look to be in a chatting mood, so she found Simon and let him know that they had found a few things, and could teach others what to look for tomorrow - - that in particular Niyaf and Leslie could be drafted for that. She has other plans for Jamal, but she saves those until she can talk with Rick.

It is only after she is done talking with Simon that Pierre hurries up, full of news, with his short legs and stereotypical mechanical gifts, the dwarf had been in camp working on weapons and general tools, so had seen all that had gone on: Cailin, Cailin and Rick, Cailin leaving with Dot and one of the orc girls and Dana's armor.

Dot gone to the other camp, why was it that everyone she liked spending time with seemed to have left? Was her judgement of Rick really that flawed? Was she somehow driving people out? Or was she making them confident enough to make tough decisions to put themselves above the larger group?

Well, she didn't need to worry about improving Dot's lean too tonight at least.... Then Pierre revealed that he'd done some improvements, and was disappointed that Dot would never see what he had done. Addie gave him half a hug and said "Never say never, none of us are out of this yet. Whatever " This" is.

The plants today had Addie increasingly convinced that "this" was something weirder than most of them could imagine ... including herself, and she'd read her grandfather's surrealist novels.
Gilga
QUOTE (Cailin O'Connor @ Jul 13 2016, 12:41 AM) *
- I don't know if I am better than any of you to bargain with Rick. Nuada knows I never had too. Not that I asked for extraordinary stuff at home, but...

Dana said - "You got us one armor as gift, it is something."

Then she returned to eat, not before making sure that Dot and Klarissa are well fed. There was not much but but she constantly offered more, until dot admitted to be stuffed. They came hungry, Maya seemed to want more people - perhaps they came to stay.

Since Callin was in a creative Dana offered her a bunch of bones to work with, and then Dana excused herself to bath and clean her body. Taking some time to swim in the cold water until she could take the cold no more. She dried up using her flats and apperantly completely comfortable with her body took the new clothes from Summers and wore them. --- they felt warm.

Callin seemed to be working but the other two seemed more relaxed and Dot told some exciting story... Where are you gals coming from... I mean before this thing She asked.

Imladir
Cailin shakes her head.

- No, not even that was a gift, I had to work for it.

She shrugs, as if it wasn't important. Which she probably thinks it wasn't.
When Dana brings bones, Cailin looks at them a bit perplex.

- Oh, nice idea. I think I know a few things I could do with those. And probably exchange with Rick. But one thing after another.

When asked, Klarissa answers curtly "The nicest parts of London, what's it to you?" By her scathing tone, it is clear that the nicest parts she is talking about are probably not that nice at all.. Still, she seems feeling like she owe you somewhat for the dinner, and looking at Cailin, she will add "Pointy-land for her. Tìr fricking na NÓg. And probably the real nicest parts at that". She seems bitter saying that, and while she not simply saying the words as an habit, there's not as much venom as one could expect.

Cailin doesn't seem to even register the discussion, completely absorbed by the carving she's finishing with less than perfect instruments.
Gilga
Dana asked "What did you do to get that ? It is very considerate of you to work for this without even meeting us in the first place." What could she say, nobody has ever been so kind to her. Everything always had a price, sometimes a terrible price. The young elf seemed eager to please, an overachiever. It made sense that she indeed came from a nice place.

"The nicest parts of London, what's it to you?"

Dana sighed "I am not so good at this, just trying to be friendly.
I come from Israel from a small town next to Tel Aviv, but these life were long gone even before I ended up here.
"

She blinks frustrated and confused "I do not remember how I got here... I do not remember when were my measurements taken to make this armor. This whole thing feels like that bad reality show... . She say frustrated - being powerless is the thing Dana has been trying to avoid for quite some time now.

Trying to think about something Dana asks: "Dot, where are you from?" The mind of the somewhat shy troll seemed to have wandered over to a place of its own.

It took a few hours until Callin decided that she finished crafting the tools - with this kind of passion toward that, tomorrow they were going to eat next to a table with knifes and forks and plates... if only they had vegetables...
"These are wonderful! Can you by any chance also work with pelts? "

shortly after, it was dark and without electric lighting, it seemed like a good time to sleep. "are you girls staying for the night?... Maya are we doing guard duty tonight or we are too few? I could potentially just close the cave entrance after we are all in."

Imladir
Cailin raises an eyebrow.

- I may never have met you, but it doesn't mean that in the few past days I didn't get to know a bit about you. I saw you leaving the camp and the...discussion...with Rick before that. As for what I did it was nothing much, just a bit of recon.

She pauses, then adds.

- Oh, I should probably add that it was an Astral recon. I'm Awakened, a Mage. Well, a trainee Mage at least. I'm not supposed to walk around in the astral without Teacher but given the circumstances...

She shrugs.

- On that subject, you might have noticed that I arrived with my hair well done and clothes in good condition. If any of you want some help in that department, just let me know. I could probably change the colours of the clothes too if you prefer some customisation.

She winks.

- Teacher said learning this spell was a misuse of time and resources. Ha, serves him right!

She chuckles, amused at the thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cailin seems pleased that her craft is well received. She looks at the pelts for a moment, and answers with a pensive tone.

- I mainly worked with wood and not much else, but I had to learn some rudiments for other resources too, so I might be able able to do something about it but if we don't tan the hides it won't...

She stops herself, then tilts her head with a smile.

- Oh but if you want some kind of clothes, the spell I was talking about earlier could probably be a lot of help. We would still have to get a decent result with the pelts, but I would be able to make them much nicer after that. Wouldn't work for blankets though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a smile, Cailin points that asking this question at this time seems a bit too late. Well at least she doesn't intend to walk in the dark. And she's not that eager to go back to Rick's camp anyway. Dot is comfortable where she is, seeming pleased to be accepted as is. Klarissa still gruff, will answer that tomorrow will suffice.

- Do you want me to summon a spirit to keep watch for the night? It's no trouble at all really. Well the astral is utterly unpleasant and the spirit will grumble a bit, but since I can wisthand it, so can he.
Mercy
Maya was clearly surprised to see the three girls appear at the camp. She stands and welcomes all of them. Although she is not completely immune to some sort of.................manipulation...............by Cailin, she is not sure that the girl is doing anything overt. She searches her memory and then snaps her fingers, nodding. When the others are off doing something, she moves closer to the girl and whispers, "You are a Dryad? I have seen some in the wild places I have been to. Is it a secret for you, or does it matter here?"

Later, she looks at all three of the girls. "In my opinion, sitting neutral is admirable, but you will not have enough influence to sway Rick, and we do not really need swaying. Your strength can be added to ours and increase it by more than just three people. If we can survive out here, we will be poised and ready to take anyone into our group that wants to join us. I am saddened that Rick wants to keep our things, but I am not willing to be like him. With the approval of the rest of the group, I would like to offer the other group all of the meat from the other cat without trading for it. It is little enough in the long term and will only buy us good feelings from those that are still sitting on the fence. Doing either the trade or giving it away is not likely to influence Rick or his core group, but giving it away can certainly influence the others." She turns to Dot and the other girl. "If you both are returning to Rick, can you please take the food we offer? If only one or neither of you are returning, we will find another way."

Turning to the rest of her small group, she says, "So, do I have your support to just give the meat away. I feel very badly about trading for it at this time. We are all here to survive what was done to us, not fight and argue over scraps of meat. Please?"
Imladir
Cailin seems really surprised to have been identified this easily. And a bit uncomfortable. She nods though.

- It's not exactly a secret but... Well, I think I'd prefer it if not too many people knew about it. I was told it could prove problematic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cailin sighs.

- You might be right with the neutrality thing. As for the trade, I'm afraid that will diminish you in Rick's eyes. And probably some others. There's a weird dynamic going on back there. Not sure it will be any worse than it is now though, so...

Klarissa's opinion on the matter is pretty straightforward, she exclaims "I'm no traitor, I'll go back tomorrow!". She seems a bit unsure though when she looks at the beast. That's a huge piece, and she won't be able to bring it by herself.
Dot's will considers the problem with attention. "I'll decide when the moment comes. But maybe you could ask the other camp to send people to take the carcass? They will get a chance to see how it is here."

Cailin sniffs.
- That's not a bad idea, but Rick will probably send people he knows are with him. Still, since there are more of them than...you... It's not a bad idea anyway.
Mercy
Maya smiles. "I dare say that Rick will look at me poorly, perhaps as a weakling. But I think that others will see this as a gift. And if not, we will see it as a gift and we will know." After the meal, she makes sure to thank Cailin for her work making the tools. "You would be a great addition to either camp, Cailin, but I hope that we can convince you to stay with us. Raf, what do you think about being the only man in the camp?"
Digital Heroin
Day Two - Afternoon - Skirting the Camps
Personality: Blank

In the land of children, the artificially matured man walks a head above anyone around him. Even when he had been imprinted with a high school kid's personality he has always been a jock, the type of human who looked a little down at orcs - often literally, as his targets were the more well heeled and moneyed type, and respected some casual racism. It is not that he means to seem stoic or intimidating, or to loom silently as the young man speaks of bows, and then answers his question frankly. He simply does not see the need to interact with florid prose, or to even be overly sociable. That is not in his DNA, or in his lack of defined personality of his own.

`I have no experience with bows. Arm yourself, and yours. Others will seek to take what you have, or to test your strength.`

At the description of the warrior woman, he frowns slightly. Blank has know people who took great pride in violence. Most of them were instructors of his, hardened assassins the lot of them. He does not feel pride in what he does. Were he able to, he would likely suppress it. Such pride leads to mistakes.

`I feel you are telling me no lies. This is good.`

That is all he can muster by way of a show of appreciation. To acknowledge more would be to betray some sense of emotion. Such control is easy when you do not have any. Soon after it seems simply right that they part ways. He favors the smaller boy with a nod, and simply seems to fade back into the brush.

Blank's first visit is to the water's edge. His path is careful, his progress staggered between a brisk walk and periods of near glacial movement. He never stops, but he breaks up the pattern of his movement by reflex, so that he might hear any tail adjusting their own pace. When he arrives to the water he takes a long moment to simply observe his surroundings and then he picks a suitable spot to stash his pack. Blank strips out of his flats and sets them down by the riverbed with his spear and the knife. He wades into the water, and starts to cleanse himself of several days' sweat. In a long term operation hygiene must be maintained whenever possible. When he is good and clean, and also cleansed of scent as best he can be, he wades to the edge of the river and starts to scoop up handfuls of mud. Though it is already afternoon, he knows the sun is his enemy. Not because he is concerned about sunburn, but because he knows that his pale skin will stand out in this environment almost as much as the flats mark him. So he takes the handfulls of mud and he applies them to his body from the waist up, rather like camouflage paint. He coats his skin as thoroughly as he can, and then he lies back on the bank and rolls his back in it. For what he has in mind, a darkened silhouette is fine. When his is muddied up he puts the flats back on, though ties them at the waist to leave himself shirtless. The effect leaves his silhouette broken up just enough that it will fool casual glances. The rest he will do himself.

When he has retrieved his gear Blank sets off once again in the direction where he spotted the larger camp fires the night prior. He takes his time again, and looks for obvious paths by which scouts would no doubt be returning soon. He notes several spots and then continues until he is within earshot of the camp. He sets up in another blind, this time to observe the larger camp, and he watches for a spell to get the routine. They have a better watch system, though perhaps only by grace of more numbers. They have also taken precautions to obscure their supplies since last he visited. A full on assault is out right now. That leaves waiting until twilight or full dark, or another option. A favored tactic of his handlers.

Blank withdraws carefully and quietly down one of the more likely scouting paths, and he covers a kilometer in short order once he is out of earshot again. He slows at a large bend, well under the cover of brush, and he takes the time to scout the area. The bend is enough that until fully rounded there is no clear line of sight, which suits his needs. He withdraws from his pack the fishing line and he goes around the bend to where any scout would come from and he strings several lengths of the line at ankle level. It will not do much to trip someone, but it will snap when they kick through it. That will provide enough for them to likely call out, and in their confusion for him to emerge from around the bend and strike. When his alert lines are set, he withdraws out of sight, slips just off the path, and he kneels. Tremor system locked in, he is motionless, calm, and he listens for the scouts` arrival.
Mercy
(Posting for Adamu)

Rafferty smiled wryly at Maya's question. "Given my age and station, i should think boy might be a better descriptor. And I am afraid what I think about our demographics will not change them." As he spoke, his feet took him a few paces from the others, and he continued in a somewhat lower voice, just enough that his words could be for Maya alone. "I will say just between you and me that I still think trade is by far the better option than gifting. I am all for helping those in need, but the fact is that we are likely the more needy party, they apparently being in possession of an increasing collection of supply crates, and ourselves none. More importantly, receipt of unearned goods can be more deleterious than beneficial, engendering a sense of entitlement that is no less than a poison to some. Finally, though you may not care personally if Rick sees you as weak, that perception will not only undermine our position in future trade negotiations, it could cause him to fatally misjudge our resolve should we come into conflict over weightier matters, with potentially disastrous consequences." He took a deep breath and smiled up at her again. "There, I've spoken my piece. But you have taken on the burden of leadership, and with it come the rights. I will publicly and wholeheartedly back whatever decision you make."
Gilga
Dana looked at Maya puzzled by her stroke of generosity. She then looked at Raff and Summers and said
"Look guys, I have no opinion on that matter, although I did kill the tigers, but Callin has already brought my armor with her. Rick has your armors in spite - he knows that you need them more than he does - that they would be more beneficial to you then to him. I would not force your way into trading, this is what you feel is the right move than by all means do it. Listen to Klarissa though - she used the word traitor to describe moving to here, if your gesture of generosity would indeed make waves - and people will be flocking to this camp Rick would retaliate somehow. He could barely tolerate you the first day, he tolerates you right now because you are no direct threat to his reign, once that changes we'll need to watch our backs from two legged predators."

To Callin she asked "If you actually know this stuff, could you make my armor a bit more stealthy, make it similar to the shade of the ground so that I am more difficult to spot. I could also use a good brush for my hair, if you have a magic for that or can craft me one."
Mercy
Maya listens to Raf and takes notice of the various looks she gets at her words. Dana had weighed in already with her opinion and Maya nods. "Very well, I see that I am likely the only one in favor of just giving the food away. So we are back to trading it. Summer, can you please contact Aria or Addie and let them know that we are interested in trading the meat for our clothes and some tools? Thank you very much."
Aria
Evening, Day 3

@Rick’s Group

Quietly Rick took Lindsey by the arm and led her a slight distance from the others… “You think I should be afraid that Maya is building a cabal of warrior mages? Well you are right, your kind do scare me, yeah Sim told me, but I am not going to be ruled by that fear… you die as easily as the rest of us and if they move against us then don’t think I haven’t been considering ways of offsetting their gifts, a skinsuit isn’t going to change that much. We know where they are camping for now, if they keep their distance then we aren’t going to have a problem are we? Klarissa is going to keep an eye on them for us and she is quite capable of taking matters to the next level if she thinks that’s needed.

I don’t intend to be here long, we need to get off this bloody mountain. I’d hoped that the Princess would bring us back some useful information but she was about as much help as wageslave in the barrens…you can do any better you’re welcome to try…?”

Your conversation is interrupted by Aria bounding over, the annoying kid not seeming to realise she is butting in…

“They want to trade! Meat for their suits and some tools…”

@Maya’s Group

Klarissa seems to be settling in for the night but Dot springs up after the stories are done…

“I need to go back and look after Addie! She needs me…don’t worry about the dark, I can see where I’m going ok…”

“Yeah, she’ll be alright, but I don’t feel like moving away from this nice fire you’ve got going. Trading can wait for the morning can’t it…?”

@Blank

They aren’t attempting to be quiet, it sounds like they have caught something, congratulating themselves overly loudly until you suddenly hear a “Shit! What the…”

irn0rchid
Responding to Rick's comment about being like the others, Lindsey says, "I knew Sim had told you something, but I'm *not* like those others. I can't cast spells or do anything fancy like that; I have to rely on my 'friends' to do anything. and they're not always reliable, especially out here..."

Before Lindsey can respond about helping with scouting, Aria interrupts. "I bet they do! We've got like a weeks worth of food still, and they want to give us more in exchange for durable goods? If they've found things their small group can kill, then we certainly can too!"
Gilga
Dand said to Dot, "I will go with you, it is dangerous out there at night, the animals we ate today hunted Grok at night. They managed to hunt him so quickly it did not wake the rest of us from our sleep. I am not letting you do this way alone at night."
Imladir
Cailin answers to Maya's questions, regarding her spells.

- It's not a sure thing, but I can try yes. Here, let me...

Cailin holds out her hand for Maya to take. Once she has, she casts a Makeover to tidy her hair and put them in a bun, probably the best solution at the moment. She also takes care of hands, skin and so on.
Makeover Force 6 (effective 4): 14d6t5 2
Cailin doesn't seem that pleased, but she supposes it will do. That the kind of spell she would have to cast often anyway so that's no big deal.

After that, she takes Dana's clothes.

- You mean like the military has? I think I can. Or can try at least. Even if it's not perfect on first try, I can do it again anyway.

Fashion Force 6 (effective 4): 14d6t5 7 (so 4 due to Force limit)
Clothes OR: 8d6t5 2
Drain (Fashion spell): 13d6t5 2
Cailin does indeed change the colour, but not much else. She wouldn't be able to do much anyway for lack of material, but the colours are probably a bit too light to really be a camo. And she seems to have taken a small hit with this spell. Nothing bad, but enough to be glad she'll go to sleep soon.

- Here. It's far from perfect but the clothes are too processed for me to do it in one go. I'll finished it tomorrow if that's ok? I can do it one or two more times this evening though, if someone wants it?

Klarissa seems torn. She doesn't want to owe anything to Cailin but still, not sticking out like a sore thumb in those clothes can be handy... Oh, and Rick will want to see it. Yeah, she'll have to show him tomorrow. She nods at Cailin. Who smiles, and works her magic on the orc too.
Makeover Force 6 (effective 4): 14d6t5 8 (limited to 4)
Fashion Force 6 (effective 4): 14d6t5 4
Clothes OR: 8d6t5 2
Drain (Fashion spell): 13d6t5 3

Even if the hit is less than for Dana's clothes, it is visible that casting those spells - or at least the one on clothes - is not without consequences.
Still, while the results on the clothes are similar to Dana's, the makeover is significantly better. Klarissa could have just spent hours in a high-end beauty salon and it would not have been much better. Cailin took care to not overdo it though, especially regarding stuff the orc would not like. She still looks fierce but the way her hair is set up, her eyebrows trimed and tusks cleaned give her an air of maturity and respectability. Since Klarissa can't see herself, she focuses on her nails, grumbling that it's a waste since she will dirty them quickly but adds a "Thanks.".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cailin gives a strange look at Dana.

- But then, you would be alone to come back. I can send a spirit with Dot though, it would be able to help her reach camp quickly as well as warn her in case of danger and help her if needed. Is that acceptable ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012