Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Raiderj
"No. I couldn't. I need a knife of my own." Vincent said obliviously. "But if you find a pistol give me a call. I know some non lethal tricks."
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp] #51

Cailin grumbles "I'm a Mage, not a witch. But... Ok, we'll see..." Looking up, she says "Look, Addie's coming."

To Addie, it is quickly obvious that the clothes Cailin and Dana wear are in fact the same as everyone else. Or, well, more precisely that they started that way at least. Dana's suit only changed in colour but it's neatly done, making her difficult to spot in the wild like a very good camo-suit could do.
Cailin's suit changed colour a bit too, becoming a darker blue. The main difference though is in her clean flats she wears on top, of which the cut changed a bit becoming more refined, as if custom-made. Their colour changed too, mainly dark green and light brown, with some gold to improve the overall looks. Most notably, there's a symbolised golden torc on her heart. Very obviously, discretion was not the goal. But it feels warm... Almost noble. Or maybe that's just the girl?

Turning towards Addie, Cailin waits. A step behind Dana...she doesn't seem too confident...or trusting.
Gilga
Dana happily waves towards Addie "Addie! Did you come to evaluate the meat ?" She asks smirking - obviously not but... but her psychologist drone - always noted that positive attitude was important to make friends.
Beta
Jogging down the hill, Addie reminds herself to stop outside of easy lunge distance from Dana – she’s learned from their last encounter. She hates to give the other girl that sort of power over her, but while she feels comfortable that she could at least put up a good fight with most people, with Dana’s speed and magic and history of attacking out of the blue she reluctantly accepts that 'better safe than sorry' applies. "I hate to treat Dana like a wild animal, but do I have much choice?"

Not, she reminds herself, that Dana probably couldn't do things to her at a range with her magic. She’d been brought up to believe that magic didn’t mean someone should be treated any differently, that they were people with the same feelings, and the same obligation to follow rules, as anyone else. “That is all very nice” she thinks “when you have all of Knight Errant to call on to enforce that they don’t get any special treatment. It is different when there is nobody more powerful to enforce those rules.

Which leads her to a new, and disturbing, thought: “Maybe it was my suggestion of a rules committee that led so many of the mages to leave – they didn’t want to agree to be bound by our rules, when they know they can get away with whatever they like. How long until they decide to prove that?

As she comes to a stop a few metres away from the outsiders – and by Dana’s smirking smile she recognizes why Addie is keeping her distance – Addie comes to the sour realization that her best defence is to head things off. She might enjoy socially cutting Dana down, but trying to bring the mages close is probably better than driving them away.

Time for a charm offensive. She forces the wariness out of her body language and lights up her face with a grin.

Dana, good to see you again! I’m so glad that we are keeping communication going between the groups; there are few enough of us out here that I think we all win if we help each other.

Turning to the other girl, she continues “And I guess you would be Cailin? I was out foraging the last time you were here, so we haven’t met. I’m happy to get the chance to meet you finally, and hopefully we can get to know each other some. And I'm totally jealous about what you've been able to do with the clothes -- I think whoever did this must have been a guy or they would have chosen better colours for us!” Addie had been so focused on Dana that she’d not really looked at the smaller girl before now. She realized that instinctively she likes the child. Cailin makes her think of all the best of kids she had ever baby-sat, and she can’t help but think that the girl is polite, well behaved, and bright, and she hasn't even interacted with her yet.

She does her best to remember that Snow White was poisoned with a perfect looking apple, but it is hard to believe this sweet looking girl could be malevolent.

Glancing at Dana – and realizing that despite her best intentions she’d been so mesmerized by Cailin that she had taken her eyes off of Dana – she gives the warrior her due “Is it OK if I step in and be friendly? I thought it best not to come running straight at you, or to try to hug you without warning.” She suspects that Dana is not normally a hugger, but that Cailin would handle it smoothly.

Once she’s greeted them properly she admits “I’m actually here to bring you up the hill, not look at the meat. That rules council I proposed became a thing, and seems to have become a sort of advisory group for Rick, too. We were meeting just up the hill, talking about the attack on the hunters that you helped find. I don’t know if you know, but somebody recorded the attack with cyber-eyes and sent out the file. Anyway, come on up – I can help carry the meat."

As they head up the hill she has wind enough to explain "The council is made up of five of us. Rick -- of course -- and Simon who is the larger of the human boys up there. Sim is the smaller boy, he's a mage of some sort -- Dana, I think you all were here long enough to learn that, right? And there is me, and the other girl is Lindsey. I don't know if you got to know her, Dana -- or if you met her, Cailin? I insisted on a second girl to help counter all that testosterone, but she pretty much has her finger on everything going on in the camp, so that was why we chose her. I wish I could say that I knew everything going on as well as she did, but I've spent a lot of time out with smaller groups."
Gilga
Dana warmly hugged Addie, hoping it appears friendly rather than some Judo grapple. "I would not sneak up on myself during night you should not do that kind of thing to someone like me. I do not just assault people that enter my personal space, this behavior is common with soldiers with PTSD, I am a teenager and was never broken by war. " It appears that Dana has some experience with what she is talking about.

She pauses and then asks "How are they? It seems that my martial arts class is going to get more popular. By the way, I offered Sim some help with these kind of things - we encountered tigers and the meat just levitated it is over 300 kilograms so I doubt you want to carry it. It is way too much for a small group like ours to eat, we already have meat preserved for a very long time. " She laughed softly and followed Addie to the mountain.
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #52

Cailin nods "Yes, I'm Cailin. Nice to meet you." While she does handle the hug smoothly, she's clearly uncomfortable doing so: it's obvious she's not used to this at all. After that, it's quickly visible that Cailin stays one step behind Dana. Not as deference, but distrustful, almost expecting danger to come.

On the way up he hill, she stays silent. At the beginning she seems mostly cautious, judging before acting in any way. However, it is clear that there is something more going on when in addition to a hissing respiration she starts coughing, walking slowly, clearly not feeling well. She looks just like a wilted flower, and clearly feeling miserable.

She nods when Addie mentions Lindsey. Something fleetingly crosses her eyes, but she doesn't make any comment.
Beta
As soon as Addie sees the signs of Cailin’s distress she stops them “Oh, do you have respiratory problems? Asthma or something? I used to have pretty bad asthma -- it made it miserable to do hikes or gym class or, well, doing anything active just about. I also had a lot of stomach problems, so I was just a pretty sickly girl for most of my life. Thankfully modern medicine came to my rescue -- I probably go overboard on doing things now, just because I can.

She eyes the rest of the hill, thinking about how she would have felt about it, back before getting gene therapy. “Take a break, then we can take it slow. Or if it wouldn’t make you uncomfortable I could give you a piggy-back ride. Or,” eyeing the floating pile of meat, “maybe Dana could float you, too?
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #53

With a sigh, Cailin shakes her head "It's just allergies. By the quality of the air, I always expect to see some kind of heavy industries at every turn. I can walk." She smiles thinly "And if I really needed it, I could levitate myself, I'm a Mage too after all. And I happen to know the spell." She looks downrange "I'd like to limit the amount of magic we wave around though."

A bit sarcastically, she adds "I wouldn't like being stoned because someone got scared of the evil witches. Given the looks we got, especially from some of the other girls when we got here, I wouldn't put it past them so..."
Beta
Addie gazes off into the distance, or possibly the past, as she muses in a quiet tone that could almost pass as disinterested “It’s always dangerous to be seen as different. Boys suffer for that too, but I think with girls it is more common for an entire pack to turn on you at once.

She shakes off her reverie and continues in a more cheerful voice “But that is why the rules council is good, so that it isn’t just mob rule here. I for one won’t stand for pre-judging people -- we have to look at evidence, what people actually do and say, and not just go on conjecture and fear. In more practical terms, I don’t want any witch hunts.

Just in case either witch can hear her thoughts, as they resume a slower climb the rest of the way up the hill, she carefully thinks about the plants they gathered yesterday and how they could train more of the girls in foraging – and carefully doesn’t think about her ideas of how to hunt a witch, if it ever comes to that.
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #54

Cailin shrugs "We'll see how it goes I suppose. But I don't think it'll go as smoothly as you think. The law of the strongest is not much better than a mob rule, nor is it much different. And what you're building here is effectively a dictatorship. Doesn't often end well that. I hope it's only temporary and that you don't intend to keep things going like that for too long."
Beta
QUOTE (Cailin O'Connor @ Aug 10 2016, 06:42 PM) *
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #54

Cailin shrugs "We'll see how it goes I suppose. But I don't think it'll go as smoothly as you think. The law of the strongest is not much better than a mob rule, nor is it much different. And what you're building here is effectively a dictatorship. Doesn't often end well that. I hope it's only temporary and that you don't intend to keep things going like that for too long."

Addie replies softly, starting with a note of sadness in her voice -- she’d so wanted Cailin to like them more! “I can see you have been talking with Maya, who judged Rick’s intentions and methods without ever actually talking with him. I saw their interactions; he was reasonable, even willing to compromise on many issues, but she just ranted about his many faults that she somehow magically knew about. Maybe you should spend some time here and make up your own mind? And do understand that a group this big can’t run by consensus – but we do have rules, and a way of making and interpreting the rules. Has Maya done as much?
Gilga
Dana climbs silently few steps ahead of Caillin and Addie. She is alert but is not anticipating an offense, Dana believes that eventually like her or not one should feel suicidal to pick a fight with a lady that levitate a giant tiger she killed herself.

She interrupted and said "Politics... rules... Rick's way, Maya's way, you can talk all days long and pretend to be controlling things, but the simple truth is that we are in the middle in the wilderness, there are beasts inside and there are beasts outside. Politics would not matter much, the large camp will break as you start sending scouts and hunters to look for food. These groups would not be much larger than Maya's group. Soon all of you would be living like Maya because of the necessities of life.
You are not going to settle these mountains and you are not going to carry so many crates around. Perhaps not even the large tents. That camp would soon be splintered into many small groups, like Maya's - and the most secure you'd get would be with Maya."
Raiderj
Vincent looked around. "Hey... Where is that ork guy? Did he stay with the main camp, he saved the girl on the first day. I liked that guy." Vincent asked Raf with a smile.
adamu
"I did too," Raf answered sincerely. "In fact, he was one of the reasons I ended up with this group. Sadly, that pelt you were covering up with earlier...."
Raiderj
Vincent's eyes widened. "...Ok... I... I... Never got a chance to talk to him barely." Vincent said. He sat down digesting it. "I could die... Away from my family. Alone..." Vincent began to show visible signs of panic. Like even after everything that thought JUST occured to him. Vincent pulled his legs in and began to tear up. "I...I bet he gave that tiger hell... He...seemed really... Brave... It was the first orc I met in person... Hard act to follow."
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #55

"Oh? So I'm judging too quickly? You have one institution that makes the rules and judges them. On that institution is the leader of the camp. Effectively, he has all three Powers. That is the definition of a dictatorship, isn't it? A dictatorship isn't necessarily bad at the beginning though."

She shakes her head "And just so you know, I too heard the discussion between Maya and Rick. And I do agree that Rick seemed reasonable, on most counts. I do think he intends well. For now at least. And I never said anything about consensus. But, everyone should be able to participate in the definitions of the rules. Otherwise, soon enough, some will ask why they should follow rules they never agreed to. And like Dana, I don't think this group will manage to stick together in those conditions. For now, we're all shocked by the situation, but it won't last much longer."

She shrugs "Maybe I'm wrong. In fact, I hope I am. And no, Maya has no real rules. But that's the beauty of it, we don't need them for now, we're reasonnable people. Later on, we'll see. But you can bet that all of us there will have his opinion asked and heard about them."

Looking downrange, she seems a bit depressed. "That's one of the reasons why I don't want to stay here. Not because I fear Rick, or think he is evil, because I don't. I won't pretend I'd be comfortable around him, but that's another matter entirely. But the main reason why I will not spend more time here is that fear in the eyes of so many. They don't know me, and all they see is a Mage label. They don't bother look at what it really means, satisfied in their belief that I am to be feared. Should I stay, I'd have to be on my toes all day long. And most likely, all night long too. With Maya, Summer or Raf', I can just be myself, and be accepted. And that's not something you can offer here. As far as I'm concerned, that's the main advantage being with Maya's group."

She sighs "Another advantage is that she wants to help you, as a group. And not something this camp wants to do. As a proof, let's look at the situation with the clothes. This camp didn't want to give them to Maya, Summer or Raf'. No matter what. Only thinking about themselves, seing them as leverage. Whereas Maya considered just giving you the meat. And now we learn that you managed to have them stolen?"

She snorts "Finally, you know that Maya spent her life in the wild. She is probably the most able to survive and find what is needed here. While once again I agree she could have handled things better, so could you. You gave her nothing, kept all for yourselves, hoarding all resources. And now... She has more food than she needs, tools, etc."

She stops, looking at Addie "Initially, I hoped to convince everyone to work together, seeing Maya's group as an advanced party, more mobile and more able to survive whatever comes their way. Scouting ahead, looking for solutions, with the support of the main camp. But Rick crushed this hope before I could even talk to him about it." She stops, for a second, then asks, eyebrow cocked "So tell me, should we continue to compare the merits of the two?"
Beta
When Cailin started talking, they all seemed to drift to a stop, still just out of easy listening distance of the rest of the council. Glancing up slope to see how the delay was being handled, Addie could see Rick's bemusement and Simon's anger. Addie filed a quick mental note in her link to do something soon to assuage Simon's pride.

As Cailin warms to her topic, Addie finds herself filled with mixed emotions. She likes this girl, but she's frustrated by her 'prideful adhesion to a view supported by limited relevant experience.' Addie nearly sways as mind's ear overlays her feelings now, memories of her Mother addressing, and memories of her Grandmother addressing her Mother --all with the same words "Is this mixture of affection and frustration what parents feel? I should apologize to my Mother!"

Distracted by her emotional discovery she only half absorbs Cailin's points. When the smaller girl finishes up

So tell me, should we continue to compare the merits of the two?

Addie grins and says "Nope, we should finish going up the hill before we keep people waiting any longer." As they start moving uphill again she adds "I've been too busy working to have a lot time for verbal or physical sparring, but if we all have time and space afterwards I'm willing to take my lumps, and maybe everybody learns something."

As the approach the rest of the group, Addie performs quick introductions -- she knows that they all pretty much know who the others are, but she hopes that starting with normal patterns of politeness will get things started on a polite track. She has a feeling that it may not stay that way for too long, but she has to try. She winds down "They brought meat from some sort of lion that they killed. Sounds like both camps have had their adventures." With that she takes a half step back and looks around, signalling that the floor is open.
adamu
Rafferty - despite almost unbearable feelings of loss, loneliness, and existential panic - had never allowed himself tears in this place. Not in front of others. He was already one of the smallest, and could not afford any further perception of weakness.

But he understood Vincent's feelings, and felt compassion. But Maya was here for hugs. He needn't play that role, nor likely should he. He smiled, but did not move, and said, "Those sorts of feelings will get us nowhere, I'm afraid. Best thing is to make them go away with work. We need firewood, and while you're gathering it you could keep an eye out for anything long and straight." He held up an arrow-in-progress to illustrate his point.
Raiderj
"He has got a point. No use crying over a stranger." Vincent nodded. "Gotcha. I'll just... Be on my way." Vincent said wiping his tears. He left out in search of firewood. He started picking up large branches and long straight branches.
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #56

Cailin sighs bitterly "Yeah, well you'd have to actually listen, and not be off to your own world though. It doesn't make discussions interesting otherwise you know."

With a shrug, she continues the ascension. She nods in greetings, fixing Simon for a couple of seconds, wondering what his problem is. When she tries to speak however, she is interrupted by half a dozen sneezes leaving her breathless for a moment.
irn0rchid
Lindsey watches Addie converse with the two other girls at the base of the hill along with the others. "Well this saves us the trouble of having to reach out to them... With their two mages here it should be easy to coordinate a group to go after the toxic." As the trio slowly climbs the rise, Lindsey considers how best to deal with Cailin and her apparent ability to influence people and decides that the best way to handle it is to just go with it. The easier the negotiations go, the faster they'll be back out of the camp, taking Addie and Sim with them. And who knows what might happen while trying to deal with this supposed toxic mage! Plus, with the issue of trading for the food practically moot, there's no reason to be the squeaky wheel...

"Meat sounds great! We have plenty of food, but I'm sure some of the guys will appreciate getting some fresh food. You've tried it alre..." Lindsey is cut off by Cailin's sneezing fit. "Are you okay? Do you need a drink?" Pulling out her canteen, she unscrews the top and offers the contents to the gasping girl.
Gilga
Dana politely introduce herself to the rest, it is when she meet Lindsey that she bluntly say: "Nice to put a name to the evil stares... Got a crush on me or something?" the words may be harsh but Dana is not bitter, nor angry when she say them. In fact she seems happy too meet her and place a name to someone she previously called "Evil eyes" in her mind...
irn0rchid
Lindsey turns to Dana, arm still extended to Cailin, "What do you mean? I don't think we've met?"
Gilga
Dana said "You were totally checking me out at the music show... "
irn0rchid
Lindsey shakes her head, "You misunderstood. I was watching Muhammad drive you away with his crude attempts to pick you up. I've been trying to tell the other girls they need to be careful of guys like him. There's none of the normal rules out here that normally keep them in check." Turning to Rick, "We're going to have problems in that area soon I bet, especially the longer we stay shacked up here."
Mercy
Maya almost stands as Vincent makes ready to leave, but remembers that she has no pants on and simply takes his hand. "Grok was my first friend here. I really liked him and am still grieving for his death. It is not wrong nor is it a weakness to shed tears at such a loss. We need to keep going, but we do not have to forget people like him. An remember, do not stray from the camp alone. Summer, will you please go with Vincent to look for more wood. I can stay here and work on the pelt and check on the cooking fish. I am sure that Raferty will turn his back so that I can walk around this area."

Summer smiles and stands, nodding to Vincent. "Sure thing. Let's go find us some wood. Keeping these cooking fires going takes a lot of fuel. And we're on the straight branches thing, Raferty."

The two move off to fetch wood and Maya turns her head to look at Raf. "It is alright to grieve and show it. Such emotions are not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of how you felt about him. You know that I am here if you wish to talk, right?"
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #57

Cailin looks at the canteen for a couple of seconds while Lindsey speaks to Dana, hesitating a bit. Then, tired by the walk to the main camp, and the climb of the hill, she accepts and takes a few small sips. She then gives the canteen back with a small grateful smile.

After a while, desiring to come back to the reason Dana and herself are here, she nods and says "We roasted and had some yesterday evening, yes. Not of that one" she waves to the levitating carcass "but it shouldn't be different. And as you can see, we're fine." she grimaces a bit "Or at least, the others are, but it's just an allergy for me, nothing to do with the meat.".
Gilga
Dana blushes slightly "Do you think he was... interested?" , they could never be together, still the thought of somebody interested in her felt good. There were rules for that kind of things and with a name like that he obviously was not part of her tribe. "Then again... I am artificial, do I even have a tribe? It is so complicated, but I cannot let him touch me like that.... I might kill him too." Dana clearly did not expect the answer Lindsey has given her, but than again Dana was rather clueless in social interactions and Lindsey was part of council a politics woman - the kind that talks and talks and talks. She could probably control the conversation entirely.

irn0rchid
Lindsey cocks her head to the side inquisitively, "You didn't realize? He was definitely coming on to you. Although, he's hit on basically every girl in the camp at this point..."
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #58

With a sigh, having completely failed to redirect the conversation to more important matters than boys, Cailin sits on a nearby rock to recover and wait until Lindsey and Dana are done.
Gilga
Dana said "Nope, I thought he just belittled me for being non trog. I am such a klutz. In THAT case I am probably better off for not noticing. He is probably not interested now that he heard that I killed tiger I become intimidating." She sighs, seeing that Caillin is disappointed she adds:
Speaking of a tiger, it was a fine meat... I actually prefer it over soy. Caillin is correct." Dana was disappointed, thinking that someone wanted her was exciting - but realizing that he wanted every girl in the camp was a major turnoff. What could she expect though, perhaps it was better that way.
irn0rchid
Lindsey nods in agreement, "Definitely better off!" Returning to her seat, if a mossy rock could be called that, she returns her attention to the magically floating carcass, "So that's for us? Can you deliver it to the campfire so the boys can get to work cooking it? I can't imagine it's going to stay good for much longer out in the open like this..."
Gilga
Dana said "Fine... but speak with Caillin first the details. With the clothes gone we'll need to figure something out."
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #59

Cailin cocks an eyebrow when the subject comes back to the meat. Quickly though, she answers with a nod "It is, as soon as we come to an agreement over what we get from it. We wanted the clothes, but apparently, they were...lost...last night." she shakes her head, disappointed "But some tools would do I suppose."
adamu
"Of course, I know, thank you, Maya."

Having thought a lot about weakness but said nothing, Raf was impressed with her perceptiveness. Besides her other talents, she apparently had an impressive EQ.

Emotional quotient. It was the only area in which he'd received less than a stellar score in the latest battery of aptitude measures his parents had commissioned. His mother had seemed a bit worried by it, but his father had slapped him on the back and laughed aloud. 'All the better, Rafster,' he'd said. 'It's not a real score anyway.'

Rafferty, however, felt it was real, and he recognized his deficiency. But the fact was that he was uncomfortable with a lot of emotional display and that was all there was to it. Small wonder, perhaps, coming from two of the most stoic cultures on earth. That did not, however, mean that he saw such displays as weakness. If anything he envied those capable of such. But there was a time and a place, and here and now were neither.

None of these musings, however, would be of interest to anyone but himself.

He appreciated Maya's offer of a listening ear, but he wanted to talk about getting out of here, not how his feelings were coming along.

So he simply added, "It is very kind of you to offer."
adamu
<<inexplicable double post>>
Beta
Although Cailin's opening position seems a bit simple to Addie, she recognizes that the younger girl's uncanny charm will make her a formidable bargaining opponent.

If Addie wants to oppose her? She thinks through pros and cons, but is unsatisfied. Then she realizes that she doesn't specifically want or not want the trade -- she wants more than a trade.

"How about we help you with this toxic shaman situation? You have the mojo, we have the muscle. Isn't that what you need most?"
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #60

Cailin blinks a few times. "I'm sorry, the what?"
Gilga
Dana feels... excited and surprised, "So there is a toxic mage?" She thinks, and watches Addie with curiosity. Was that some negotiation move? It did not seem so but politicians had all sort of ways of keeping one off balance. She watched the conversation closely trying to figure out what it was all about. Both sides had both muscle and mojo, it was silly.

irn0rchid
Lindsey chimes in, "Yeah, apparently there's a toxic mage out somewhere near here according to the people in your camp. I guess that's news to you too? We just heard about it from Aria here a little bit ago."
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #61

"It is indeed." she frowns "It doesn't change much" glancing at Dana she says "except that we should go back to Maya sooner rather than later.".

Pensive for a couple of seconds, she looks at the other group "So, given our new time constraints, let's make this deal. Will you consider trading the meat for some tools?"
Gilga
Dana said "A toxic mage AND a mysterious attacker things just keep getting better and better. These are things that need to be dealt with, important things. They are however completely unrelated to the reason we came here in the first place. I suggest we conclude one before figuring out the others.

Maya left with nothing at all, not even a spoon - had I not known any better I'd said she was cast away to die in the wilderness. With her righteous opinions - I am not here to open that issue my point is different. There were modern body gloves that offered an increase chance of survival. Caillin tried to obtain them with good will and was denied by Rick. Then few hours later, Caillin returns only to discover that the gloves were mysteriously stolen. This does not raise the level of trust very high, does it? Yet, I have to wonder if you are you guys acting in good faith?

Maya has apparently learned about a new danger and her first move was to give you guys a heads up. This is the same Maya that is not getting her protective gear, because you haven't showed her the slightest bit of goodwill. She is going to spend this night, and the next night - and the one after that without the warm technologically advance body glove that was made in her own image. These were mysteriously stolen. Raff and Summers too, they are just kids - how did we come out to that?

Why don't you care at all if someone that is not 'part' of you gang survives? You gave everyone in your own camp body gloves for free.
None of these got stolen. Does everything boils down to taking sides? Is the choice of leader really is that critical that we end up in an endless series of power-plays?

Be honest, in your mind, should we die in the wilderness for making the 'wrong' choice? Perhaps we should only suffer a bit until we make the 'right' one? Until we all see the light? I find that mindset childish, immature and most importantly dangerous. There are real dangers out there, snap out of it!

It is within your own best interest to show us goodwill. You need us just as much as we need you. Yet, your compassion ends where the perimeter ends. You simply do not care about us at all. If we cannot even conclude a simple business transaction how are we going to gain trust to hunt a toxic mage together ?"

She got carried away spoke her mind, said perhaps a bit too much, Dana was never the refined person, but her blood was too hot to just seat there and hear - the politic people say something like: "Yes... we will buy the meat - if risk your life saving us from yet another misfortune. We suffered " was there really no limit to the Chutzpah of these people? Did they really just try to suggest to buy the meat only if, they hunt a toxic mage?
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #62

Cailin nods, and adds "And, you have to consider that against a Toxic Mage, you are far more at risks than we are. Even if you have more than the two Awakened I know of, you are far more vulnerable: there's no way you can protect everyone, and it would be easy for a Toxic Mage to attack scouting parties, people trailing when the camp moves, etc. Whereas we stay together."
irn0rchid
Lindsey cocks her head to the side, "We exiled her? That's not how I remember it... It seemed like Maya wanted things to be a certain way, and the majority wanted to stick with Rick, so she exiled herself rather than be a part of this," she motions at the larger camp down the hill. "As for the clothes, what do we gain by not having them to trade to you?" With increasing fervor, she continues, "Seems *more* likely that one of your group stole them and now you're trying to use that to bargain for more tools. Or do you think we let them be stolen out of plain spite?!"

Lindsey takes a breath and makes an obvious effort to calm down. "Addie was bringing you two up here to propose working together for the good of everyone that got stuck here, while you two are more concerned with trading meat you can't even eat before it goes bad for our limited supply of irreplaceable tools..." She shakes her head, "Where's the goodwill now?"
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #63

Cailin shakes her head and answers calmly, apparently completely unfazed by Lindsey's temper "I won't bother answering to those allegations you just made. If you don't want to believe us, ask Klarissa. She's from your side after all. And if you don't believe her because the evil witches scrambled her brain" she shrugs. "I suppose there's nothing much to say anymore."

"You speak now of the good of everyone, but yesterday, it was only question of the main camp and damn everybody else. That's depressing. We, or at least, I, asked for goodwill yesterday. To no avail. Would you have agreed to give me the others' clothes, we would have given you the meat without asking anything else. But it was made perfectly clear that you didn't intend to work that way, expecting to get something to give in return. You set the rule, we only work with what you wanted."

Looking at the others, she asks "So, what will it be, trade or no trade? Maybe after that we'll be able to talk about some sort of cooperation, but this shall be handled first."
Gilga
Dana eyes Lindsey angry and says "You only strengthen my point, you accuse us of theft and depict, a moment after Addie asked us to risk our lives. "
Aria
It is at this point that Rick finally intervenes, clearly having lost his temper but trying to stay calm…

“Forget the fragging meat! You have a surplus of something we don’t really need, who the frag taught you how to trade?! That’s not what is important! If there’s a toxic out there, and the thought scares the hell out of me, then we are all vulnerable. They are insane by fragging definition and it was your group that encountered it first so I wouldn’t be smug about it being more of a danger to us!

Addie, can you get a message to Maya? Or Aria can…we need to meet. Tell her that I am prepared to lead a group against the toxic, one that will include all our awakened, no matter which group, provided she is prepared to step up as leader here while we are gone. Or if she prefers she can lead the group to deal with the toxic. Addie, you can go with the group if you want, although why you would is beyond me. We’ll send a pick of our best trackers, hunters and fighters…not all but hopefully enough. So, four awakened, ten mundanes and we have to hope that doesn’t bleed us too dry. If we don’t deal with this now the cost could be far higher!”
irn0rchid
Lindsey jumps up with a scowl and points at the two newcomers, "I only accused you of the same things you accused us of! You two started this!" Wheeling to point at Rick, "And you're just going to leave our camp in the hands of their leader? Not only that, but you want to leave the camp defenseless with some brute out there that's already attacked three of us? Who else here is going to stand up to that guy if he comes back?"
Imladir
[Cailin, Main Camp, up the hill] #64

Cailin looks at Lindsey "Yeah, right."

Cailin laughs sadly "What a wonderful idea. How do you intend to find him exactly? Did Maya say where he was? No? So, you're proposing to take this group to what? Just run around hoping to get lucky?" she shakes her head "I suppose he is alone, from what I know, it's the case most of the time. But you can't be sure. Moreover, for all we know, this toxic could just have us or you under surveillance, waiting for opportunities. If you leave both camps effectively naked..."

She shakes her head "And I don't think confronting a toxic on his own turf, is a great idea. While all of us are weakened, he is strengthened." she shrugs "You might be right, waiting may not be a good idea, but it doesn't mean we have to rush with no planning. Anyway, we'll talk about it with Maya, and we'll see." With a shrug she stands up, starting to turn around to leave.
Mercy
Summer and Vincent return several times with loads of wood for the fire. During their absences, Maya has been keeping busy by alternating time between tending to the fish and the pelt. Raf has been polite enough to at least try to keep his eyes averted whenever she stands up, but cannot help himself when the two have to to the latrine for one person or the other. Maya keeps herself decently covered by the blanket when working in the cave mouth. The gatherers have barely been out on their fourth trip when they return in a hurry. Summer goes up to where Maya is sitting and kneels down, almost breathless. "Aria has sent me a message. Rick wants to meet with you. He is proposing a joint effort to go after the toxic mage."

Maya thinks quickly as she looks at the sky then nods. "Please let Aria know that we will come to see him." Looking around at the others, she adds, "I guess we will need to pack up here. It will be hard to carry everything we have. Summer, Please ask Aria to ask Dana and Cailin if they have the ability to send spirits to help us carry our food. Vincent, we will need to know everything you can remember about where this toxic mage might be. Which direction did you come from when you came here? Was the sun at your back? To one side? Was he in a cave or a house or something else? Anything you remember will be a help."

As she makes ready to stand up, she smiles and says, "I am so silly. Dana has her new clothes so her flats must still be here somewhere. Can someone look over there and then both Vincent and I can be decently clothed. We will need to leave soon if we are going to be there before nightfall."

Summer nods and sends off the messages while Vincent goes off to look for Dana's clothes. He gives a small shout of success and returns with her flats, handing the pants to Maya, who carefully pulls them on while covered by the blanket. After becoming decent again, Maya stands up and begins helping the others to pack up what they can take. She is hoping that their companions can send spirit help, but cannot rely on that. The two blankets are turned outside up and the dried and cooked meat and fish is placed on them. What they cannot carry will have to be left behind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012