Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #105

Cailin shakes her head "Yes, I see, but still... as for Vincent he is a "normal" adept, not a Mystic one like you. He doesn't have an aura similar to yours."

Cailin listens quietly to Maya, then grumbles "Yeah. United front eh? Do you know how I felt when they told us, while we were discussing about the meat, you were coming to speak about a toxic mage?" she waves her hand "I think I know why you felt you had to do it, but it doesn't make it more...palatable. You know, kind of like a do what I say, not what I do kind of thing."

She shrugs and sighs "Doesn't matter now I suppose. But like I just said to Dana, there's not much more to say regarding that Toxic Mage. We don't know enough, and before we even start making any kind of plans, we must learn more. Like Dana pointed out, Vincent's mind seems to be a bit...er...affected, and taking any decisions based only on what he reported is asking for trouble. For all we know, there could be a handful of toxics, with mutated critters, etc. Ok, not likely given that they tend to avoid one another. I'm not joking about the critters though. So why can't we just wait for Mairin, and then decide how to proceed?"
Mercy
Maya looks at Cailin with a look of confusion. "I am sorry. I must have forgotten that you have a functioning 'link. I was working under the idea the Summer could only contact Addie or Aria up here. If I had remembered that detail, I would have contacted both of you first to make sure you knew that we were coming up here. I did not mean to upset you and hope that you can forgive my oversight. Perhaps this is a reason I am not a good leader. Listen, I will not stop you if you want to go somewhere else and wait for us. Such a decision is yours to make. I guess I was just, well................well, frag if I really know what I was thinking. I don't have any experience doing any of this leadership drek. Sorry."
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #106

Cailin shakes her head "I don't have a comlink. Well, not here at least and certainly not implanted." she shudders, as if disgusted by this very idea, then continues after a pause "All I'm saying is..." she stops, then shrugs "Ok, doesn't matter, done is done." she smiles, and put a hand on Maya's forearm.

"And there's no harm done, I was just... er... Grumpy... I suppose..." she grimaces, then adds "As for this toxic conversation, I don't mind staying if there's anything useful to talk about. It's just that right now, I don't see what there is to talk about... Sure, we could devise dozens of plans to try and think about all possible situations, but wouldn't it just be better to take a step back, breathe, and wait for news? If there really is a Toxic Shaman not too far, it's worrying but it's not the end of the world. We don't need to panic, we don't need to take any decision right this instant. We would just take bad decisions if we were. What we could do while we wait though, is try to enjoy ourselves and not worry ourselves to death over what could be."
Mercy
Maya feels the warmth of Cailin's hand and is pleasantly surprised by how much she....................likes it. She is still confused, though. "If you don't have a 'link, how was I to contact you? Please let me know so I do not make that mistake again? Your spirit was done fishing and had left so I could not use it. I would not know how to command a spirit even if it had remained. But, please, help me understand. If your perception was that I slighted you in some way, then I need to avoid that perception in the future."
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #107

Cailin shakes her head "It's not that I felt slighted. Or not exactly. More that it made a difficult situation that much more difficult. Especially when we're asked questions about things we don't know anything about. As for how you could have contacted us..." she shrugs "Maybe you could have asked Aria to give us advanced warning, and have us inform this "tribunal" that you were coming. Or maybe waited for us a few hundred meters from here, so that we could come back together."
Mercy
Maya nods. "Both of those are good ideas. I will try to think of them if a similar situation comes up. Again, I am sorry." She turns to include Dana. "And you, too, Dana. I did not mean to have my friends learn of our arrival last. I hope that you can forgive me as well?"
Gilga
Dana warmly hugs Maya, few moments later she said "There is nothing to be mad about, you did what you thought was right."
She then adds "I know you really wanted to train that mountain lion. I can find you something smaller when we have some time, perhaps a wolf or a wild dog, imagine how much safer we'd been with an ally of that caliber. "
Mercy
Maya is a bit surprised at just how good Dana's hug feels. Some bit of her just wants to stay there and and feel warm and protected. She smiles at Dana. "Thanks. Yes, I can imagine it. I can also imagine it with the lion and still wish that I had succeeded in calming it enough to at least get a shot at training it. Oh well, some things are not to be. But yes, a dog or wolf would be good, too. I have experience in working with both, but my specialty is paracritters."

Maya then turns to Cailin. "Still friends?"
Gilga
Dana appologize "I am uncertain how to even find para-critters though... Some canine should be easy enough with the shape change."
Beta
Looking down the hill at Dana, Cailin, and Maya, there is no way for Addie to know what they are saying -- but their body language speaks volumes. First she reads frustration, even anger. But soon they are working through it, and there is reconciliation. Shoulders and backs don't suggest that everything is forgotten and forgiven, but that they've all decided to put it behind them, or that their group bond has overcome whatever stresses are between the three girls. Three women -- that was the action of women, not girls, to overcome their feelings like that.

Addie looks away while she can still keep her eyes dry. She keeps her back straight, her head high, as she scans the horizon.

[ Spoiler ]

Finally she nods once to herself, feeling more at peace than any time since she came here. Turning to Rick, she quickly says "If they head off again, I'd like to resign my place on this council and go with them for a couple of days, so that I can learn more of Maya's survival tricks. If we can't have her, at least we can learn from her. If you'll excuse me, I want to go and ask her about this."

She makes sure to smile as she approaches the three women, and she sketches a touch of a bow as she approaches before saying "I apologize for intruding. I have some apologies to make and a request to make. Cailin: you were right. It took me a while to get over my pride, I'm sorry I didn't get there sooner. Dana: I resented you for surprising me on the first day, and have said some less than kind things about you because of that resentment. Again I let my pride get away from me. Maya, I apologize that I tried to guilt you into staying with the larger group, back on the second day. You did not deserve any guilt that I sent your way, you knew best what was right for you."

She puffs out her cheeks for a moment before getting to the second point. "If you are heading off, could I come with you for a little while? I think that there is a lot that I could learn, and I need to be away from here for a while too. Ideally I'd come back here and help teach new survival skills to the others, but a few days is a long time out here, so we'll see how it goes."

"You don't have to answer to any of this right away. I'll give you time and space to decide, but please consider it." With that she turns and jogs back up hill to hear what Rick has to say.
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #108

Cailin grunts when Maya asks if they're still friends "Look, I didn't like it, and I think I made that clear. But I thought I made clear too the fact that it wasn't the end of the world... If as soon as one of us makes a mistake we pack and leave, we're not out of the woods... So of course."

As Maya and Dana speak about critters, Cailin doesn't seem really eager to share her camp with animals "I don't know about animals, but for paracritters I'm not sure it would be a good idea here, you're likely to end with a toxic one." she shrugs "If you're lucky, you'll find some with the toxic shaman we're talking about..."

Cailin listens silently to Addie, eyebrows raised in surprise. That's not something she was expecting. But then, before she can even say anything, Addie leaves. After a couple of seconds, Cailin looks at Dana and says "Looks like I'm not the only one doing that..."
Gilga
Dana blinked, and moved embarrassed. "Addie I should not have jumped you like that... I was trying to make friends, and could not see any other way to get your attention. I should have just talked to you like a normal person."

She moves uncomfortably, as Addie continues speaking and Dana's excitement grows. "So I get to live with the actual heroine... I am not a believer but thanks, God... she is so cool and I have so much to learn from her."

When Addie leaves Dana says "Not the only one, she seems a bit upset.
I do not think that Addie likes it in here, in fact I am uncertain if many people actually like this camp. Perhaps everyone should just from their own packs with the people they actually like. Instead of pretending that we are one big summer camp. Not that it is anything of my business I kind of like our little gang. I feel safer with you guys."
Mercy
Maya looks at Addie with some surprise. She listens and is waiting for a chance to say something in return when she leaves to go back up the hill. Maya turns to her friends. "OK, that was different. I agree with Dana that she seems a bit sad and unhappy. Certainly that should not be uncommon here, but she has seemed so upbeat up to now. It sounds like she would like to come with us for a bit. Do either of you have an objection to that? If not, I will go see what Vincent, Raferty, and Summer think. I happen to think she could be an asset to any group, but she needs friends. More, I think she is laboring from something in her past or family that is driving her and she needs to realize that this place is not normal. So, yes or no?"
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #109

Cailin nods "Sure, no problem for me. She's not completely comfortable around magic but it's quite normal I suppose. I just hope she won't make an habit of lecturing me on this or that, and doing something different..."

She pauses, then frown "It may not be that easy though, it could have some rather important repercussions. I'm not saying they should weight on our decision, but we should keep them in mind. For us and for her. First, Rick may not be too pleased to see a member of his "tribunal" leave. Second, what will be the impact on the rest of the camp? From what I heard, I got the impression that it was Addie who was pushing for the branding, what impression will it give when this camp learns she "fled" as soon as someone was branded?"
Mercy
Maya nods. "Valid concerns, Cailin, and ones that we should take into account. I do think that she needs friends and is not finding them here. I do not know if she will find them with us, but if not it will be her own doing. I also think that we can keep her lecturing down, even if it takes a bit of patience. And yes, Rick might have something to say, but I am not overly concerned with that. It will give him a chance to put someone else on his council so we can hope that there are no hard feelings. We are not poaching here. She is the one doing the asking. Thank you for your vote."
Gilga
Dana say "I kind of like Addie and am happy to have her with us. Regardless of me liking to have her, I think that she is going to make us considerably safer, as she is augmented with a sleep regulator. With such a small group, Addie can allow us to have two people awake at any given moment. "
Mercy
Maya smiles and nods. "Thank you, Dana. I agree and will go ask the others before going to see her." Maya leaves the pair alone and walks back to where Raferty and the other two are waiting. She motions for them to come away a short distance and talks to them in a low voice. "Addie has approached us and would like to spend some time with our group. Not sure if she will be a great fit, but I will not say yes without a majority approval. Dana and Cailin have both said they would accept her, but I need to hear from everyone. What do you guys think?"

Summer considers the question and the person. "She seems a bit on the bossy side and I don't think that will work."

Maya nods. "Yes, I can see that point. My personal opinion is that she was part of something out there that gave her some authority, even at her age. Corporation, family, something. I think that she has good intentions and even some good ideas, and knows it, so she expects others to just do as she wants. Unfortunately, there are some here, myself included, that did not buy into that and it frustrated her....maybe still does. But I think we could benefit from from some of her ideas and maybe help her realize that she can be a part of something without being the best and knowing everything. And I think she could use some friends. Does that change your vote any?"

Summer considers Maya's words then nods. "Sure, OK. I guess we can give her a chance. Just don't change who we are."

Maya laughs. "That is a promise no one can make, Summer, or rather, should not make. We all need to change if we are to survive, and I do not mean just here in this place. Everywhere. If we cannot change, we go extinct. I think that is my biggest beef with Rick. He was successful as a gang leader out there and want to keep doing the same things because they worked there. Only this place is not out there, it is here and things are not the same and the methods he was using there might not be the best here. So, Vincent and Raferty, your votes?"
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #110

Not long after Maya left, Cailin seems distracted. She nods, frowns, and at some point, exclaims "Are you kidding me!?" Obviously, she must get a confirmation, since she doesn't seem pleased at all. After a couple more seconds, her shoulders slump - more than before that is - and, with a depressed sigh, she looks at Dana and says "Mairin thinks she found the toxic." She looks at Rick and company, and adds "I suppose I may as well tell everyone..."

With a grumble, she goes back there, and raises her voice so that everyone there - including Maya, Raf' and Summer - can hear her. "So, I found the toxic shaman." She waits for a couple of seconds for Maya & Co to approach, then resumes "South from here, at around... er... what was it again? Wait, Mairin'll explain."

On Cailin's side materializes a spirit, looking like an elven woman, but very obviously not of this world. The fact that she floats a few centimeters above the ground for example is a good indication that she's not from around... Once materialized, she smiles fondly at Cailin, like an exaperated teacher would look at an unruly student.

She nods to the presents in greetings, then says "As I was saying, roughly ten of your kilometers south, there is a lake. Well, more than one lake actually, but only one of them is of interest to you. You'll recognise it easily: it's the lake where some kind of flying metal box," she looks at Cailin "How do you call that again?" "A plane?" They seem to communicate a moment in some way, then Mairin resumes "Yes, a plane, but with the rotors that can go on top. Looks fun. Anyway, this plane dropped a box in the lake, and it thoroughly contaminated it. There was a yellow and black symbol on it." She draws the symbol on the ground: it's the symbol for nuclear wastes. Had to be, right?

"Very, very, unpleasant place this lake, you won't like it... The man you're looking for is near the lake, he has an old decrepit house." she scowls "Bad business that. It would be much appreciated if you took care of it. Oh by the way, he's not alone there. Well, as far as I can see, he is the only human, but there's some kind of very big greenish bear. They seem to have some sort of agreement I think." She looks at Cailin with a smile "Here, done." however she doesn't leave, and as she is smiling to Cailin, she seems to know it perfectly well...but seems to want to get Cailin to say or ask something.

Cailin shakes her head, grumbles, and finally says "I hate you. Fine, tell them..." she sighs, depressed. Mairin turns toward the group, and adds "Most of you will have to go." she glances at Simon and gravely adds "You should. And you should not." In a more normal tone, she says "Oh, and Fig, Lindsey and Pierre I think.". she looks at Cailin, and her smiles widens "Of course that includes you Cailin." The young elf mutters something rather foul - at least for her - and looks darkly at Mairin "Yeah well, be careful that I don't bring you with me." That wipes Mairin's smile instantly, as she coughs a bit "Just saying it as I saw it dear, you know it. Anyway, a pleasure to meet you all, take care." with a bow and a last grumble from Cailin, she disappears.
adamu
Raf shrugged. "It seems like quite a long time ago now, but I thought when we left we extended an open invitation to any that wanted to join us. Yes, I'll admit that since returning here I've expressed misgivings about the feeling here, and the feeling I get from some that have influence here. I had reservations about adding just anyone. I'm torn between caution and idealism. But the fact is that my reservations would only be about someone I feared would be an overtly negative or dangerous influence. I don't think for a moment that Addie is either of those. And if we start spending all of our time worrying about perfect personality fits, then we really are way down the elitist rabbit hole. I am fine with her joining us for as long as she wants."
Raiderj
"So its PAYBACK TIME! Im gonna gut that son a bitch!" Vincent said with serious anger. "And you ARE bringing me!"
Gilga
Dana observes the the situation but speaks very little, big green bear, that thing she can handle... If it is too strong for direct confrontation she is going to out smart it.

---- but a mage?
this is unknown - an ace in the hole and there is no saying what it might be able to do. It knew alchemy and has stayed at that place for quite some time... after all it had a green bear friend. What if... what if... magic could do anything at all. Everything was a possibility.

She is a bit shaken and then she speaks.

"This does places a new light on the problem but it changes very little.

If you think that magic is bad here, it is going to be terrible there. Without magic it would have been harder to kill the lions. Lions were not mages, just large beasts.
The thing is our magic will not work, the mage is going to cast there just fine - this is one of the perks of embracing radiation.

Other than magic, we have no serious weapons and we are lightly armored - and some of us are not even lightly armored. I do not think we should go there, it is too dangerous for us.
We can defeat these people, but not on their own turf and not with pure muscles, we need a plan to get them out of there.

Perhaps if we can steal their precious toxic box...
"
Mercy
Maya smiles at Raf. "It is not about being elitist, Raferty, it is about making a group decision. I happen to concur with your estimate of Addie and would welcome her, but that is not something I can dictate." She turns to Vincent. "You are the only unheard voice, Vincent. Would you mind if Addie came to stay with our group for a while? So far it is five of us for and now you. You still get a say and you get a vote and should never feel that you should not voice an opinion, even if it is the lone dissenting one. If you prefer to hold your comment for now, I will go talk to Addie."

Maya is quite surprised when Cailin returns to the group and produces the Elven spirit. She listens to the words and frowns at some of the comments. Once Dana talks about going after the box, she says, "If this thing is radiation enough to poison a lake and this area, would it not be dangerous to anyone to try to grab it? Do you have some way to protect against that stuff? Is not simply being somewhere else a better plan?"
Gilga

"I mean we can try and GTFO, there is too much radiation in this place and the plants and animals are corrupted by it. Now we know a possible cause, perhaps if I can shape the earth I can cover that crate with enough earth to block its toxic effects. Radiation levels are going to drop and the environment can begin to heal.

If that mage is the kind that seek vengeance for what was done to him. Perhaps he can be some else's problem... Let him figure out what cooperation is responsible and have his vengeance upon them. Heck, have him pillage and burn every single one of them, we are teenagers we are not the ones to blame for this.

When he captured Vincent, he took care not to corrupt him, why did he do that?
Perhaps he still have some humanity left inside of him?
Perhaps Addie can indeed reason with him?

The way he treated Vincent was almost compassion, I mean sure Vincent did not like it one bit, but considering the agony that that mage must feel with all the radiation. It was as close to mercy as he could possibly be.

Perhaps covering the create with a lot of earth is going to help him and the enviornment heal. Maybe it is going to give him the closure needed to move on.

I know it is a risk - but that mage did not kill Vincent and did not come here to hunt us, we came into its toxic domain and interfered with his affairs. He does not strike me as the monster from the trids. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that he was not extremely hostile toward us."
Mercy
Maya nods. "Sound reasoning, Dana, and a good idea. We just need to get close enough to put that into action. But I thought that you just said the area would make your spells harder or less effective? Would that not be even more true the closer you are to this box?"
Gilga
Dana answered "Well... they may still work to a degree, but even if they do not work at all. Perhaps I can teach the mage how to cast the spell so that he can cover the toxic crate for himself. It is worth a shot right? "
Mercy
Maya laughs. "It might be, yes, But why? It the better option not to just leave the area entirely?"
Gilga
"That crate was dropped there on purpose and we received high tech clothing tailored especially for us but whom ever sent us here, knew that this is radiated environment. They probably irradiated it themselves. Yet, our clothing do not provide radiation protection at all. They seem designed to help us survive just long enough to be corrupted by radiation.

That theory also explains why so many of us are awakened and why we are so young. I look at that mage over there, alone by that lake and I see my own future. Every breath we take has this invisible radiation in it, and eventually either I get sick and die or I become like him.

Other than that, what if our way home has many of these toxic crates? A mage that can defuse them for us is a powerful ally."
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #111

Cailin shakes her head "I'm all for a pacifist solution, but with a Toxic Shaman? I may have said that they're not crazy but... I don't believe they want to change. In fact, I'm not even sure it's possible. And you can't work with a Toxic, especially if you're not a Toxic Shaman yourself. At least I never heard it done. Running away is a very sensible option... Even if ethically and err 'magically'...removing the threat of this toxic shaman would be best."

She pauses for a second, and, as an afterthought, adds "Oh and as for the box, it could have been dropped years ago. Mairin's visions don't have a timestamp. It's sometimes disconcerting, she can talk about a nice field where a wolf is hunting, and all you see is a town that's been here for centuries..."
Mercy
Maya nods. "I really am not sure that we are qualified to deal with this guy. I am all for cleaning this place up, but I do not think we are equipped for that. Frag, some of us do not even have the suits you have, and like you said, even those will not protect you against radiation. No, I think my vote is solidly in the "leave this guy alone" group for now. What I don't understand, Cailin, is why your spirit friend pointed to several people as if they were supposed to go kill this creature?"
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #112

Cailin shrugs "Oh, that's because I asked her who should go to 'take care of the toxic shaman'. And a normal spirit can't consider any other type of solution than killing a toxic shaman. To them they are... Hum, I don't know how to explain that..."

She frowns, thinking intensely "Like a dragon that would experiment on humans, making them abominations, completely guided by rage and hate, not themselves anymore." She sighs sadly "It's really sad. Especially when you consider that spirits are basically immortals and are around since forever..."
Gilga
Dana feels a bit annoyed that nobody seem to even want to talk to that guy.
"Maybe she can see the future and we are going there" she said bitterly. Seeing the future should be impossible as it conflicts with Dana's one and only spiritual belief, free choice... but if one can see the future - how can free choice exist?

It gets worse when Caillin mentions Dragons experimenting on people. Dana feels like she is about to burst. She struggles not to storm out of there and is looking at Addie, hoping that the blonde heroine is going to tilt toward some attempt to reach out and talk to the mage. Or kill it, or make an epic fist fight between Dana and the green bear... That wilderness had one good thing about it... Epic beasts worthy of a warrior seemed abundant.

Heck, the thought of wrestling some giant green bear seems to bring some color to the teenager's cheeks. She is now amused at that image despite herself.
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #113

A bit surprised, Cailin looks at Dana "Err, that's exactly it, didn't I explain? What she does is divine the past, the present and the future. She doesn't always get answers, but when she does..." she shrugs, apologetically.
Gilga
"and the future?! How can that be?" Dana looks at Caillin, with disbelief.

Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #114

"With difficulty." Cailin smiles, then adds more seriously "Mairin explained a bit some time ago but I didn't get everything, it's rather complex. And I got the feeling that she didn't really want to simplify. But from what I understood, there isn't a single future, but many possible futures. Some more probable than others. At some points, there are nodes, where important decisions have to be taken. Once the decision is taken all the futures that don't correspond to the actual decision disappear." she pauses, considering "Well, there are some theories about a multiverse, or parallel universes, but let's not go there."

She frowns, then resumes "Anyway, as far as future divinations go, Mairin mainly identifies the most probable outcomes. It's not set in stone, but...well... It's not the most probable outcome for nothing."
Gilga
Dana said with curiosity... "So Mairin can tell us where are the body gloves of our group... I mean... it is kind of dangerous here"
Raiderj
"Addie can stay sure. The more merrier its been said. So what next? Do we run or fight?" Vincent asks aloud.
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #115

Cailin grumbles "She may yes. And maybe even who stole those. But er...tomorrow? She won't like it if I call her back so soon..."
Beta
QUOTE (Cailin O'Connor @ Sep 2 2016, 05:23 PM) *
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #115

Cailin grumbles "She may yes. And maybe even who stole those. But er...tomorrow? She won't like it if I call her back so soon..."

Addie had been doing her best to project neutral body language, not denying that she could hear the discussion but not claiming to have a roll in it. At Cailin's comment, however, she comes back to life and turns toward the small camp group. "I saw them fly away. I was on watch at the time, and did my best to mark the direction. I'm not good at navigation so I don't know how accurate my marking was, but I could show you, any of you, what I observed. I don't know how far they went -- it was dark enough that I lost them after a bit. And I guess their direction might have changed after I lost sight of them. So maybe this isn't much use anyway compared to a spirit ..." She slumps again.

Still looking somewhat gloomy she adds "I really shouldn't say anything, probably, but I guess I don't know when to shut up. I won't feel bad if you ignore my opinion on this, since if I come with you I'm like a guest or trainee or something, not part of your consensus making." She glances at where Maya has just been quietly talking with Vincent, clearly having consulted every part of her group. "Could I be that patient, that flexible?" she wonders.

"But for what it is worth: I'd say get as much information as you can, without picking a fight. Can't access satellite imagery, a history of comments, and all the usual matrix stuff here, but could still go and look at the place, right? I know that ten kilometers in the wilderness is a long way -- a couple of hours of walking on a decent road, but might take all day with mountains and cliffs and rough ground and not knowing exactly where one is going. So it is a kind of big time commitment, but we are talking about a lake, and lakes are always at the local low ground. With how mountainous it is around here there is probably high ground overlooking it, from some distance away. Would be great to have binoculars, but if Dana can turn people into animals, maybe there is one with better long range vision, or something, to get a decent look from well back and up?"
u
She is growing almost animated as she continues. "Seeing the place could tell us things -- like how open or bushy it is, how poisoned it looks, maybe whether this crate is sticking out of shallow water or is somewhere deep down, and if there is anything else that the spirit didn't mention. I guess there would be a risk of being spotted, but knowing more, to me that seems worth the chance, you know? She remembers herself and slumps again. "But my decisions haven't been working out very well, so maybe that means the opposite? I don't know. Just -- somehow I feel I'd like to see this lake."

A lake might have ever so much deeper water than a creek.
Gilga
Dana said to Addie "Ofcourse it matters, we should look it, I picked up a bit of navigation from Summers and Maya, but both of them are dramatically better than myself.
Nothing is given for free in this world, magic is not an exception. What Caillin blissfully forget because she is exceptionally gifted, is that magic is paid for with blood, and sweat.
Summoning a spirit always carries a risk, usually nothing bad happens but sometimes the process can knock you unconscious or even physically wound you. If we can find where their body gloves are without magic, it is for the better."

When Addie talks about the camp Dana is silent, she then quietly say to Addie "It does not have to take very long. With the right shape, we can close most of that distance very quickly. I think you'll do better job than myself as in order to maintain the new shape I need to constantly focus and it is kind of distracting.
"
Beta
At Dana's offhand comment about the spell, Addie's mouth opens and closes a few times before she manages to generate any sound, and even then it starts with a stutter "I - I - I d-d-d" she gives her head an annoyed shake, works her jaw back and forth for a moment, before giving an apologetic smile and finally getting out "S-sorry, sometimes words are hard when I get surprised. Mostly I don't stutter, but when my thoughts are running around too much it can still sneak in."

She cuts the air with one hand, to signal an end to that diversion, then gets back on topic. "I thought -- I mean -- don't you have to BE a magician to change shapes? I guess I don't really know much about magic, but that you could do it to Vincent, I mean he's an adept, I thought ..." emotions war across her face, with flashes of dismay, excitement, confusion, and possibly even hope taking their turns, before excitement finally claims primacy "I guess I mean, really, you could cast that on me? You are serious?"

Then her face falls with dismay "Frag -- I have 'ware. Datajack and commlink, some bioware, some genemods. Nothing too fancy, but would that prevent the spell from working? Or would the spell, I don't know, make stuff fall out or cancel the genemods? I ... wouldn't want to go back to getting sick so easily all of the time."
Gilga
Dana answers softly "Yes I can, it is quite an experience too."

"Your augmentations are part of you, they are like your hands and legs. You would not be able to use them in a different shape in the same manner that you cannot use your arms and legs. They would go to wherever the rest of your body goes, but I cannot give you the rational explanation of how it actually works. I... do not get along very well with sciences.
"

Dana said. She felt frustrated because she did encounter a research about that spell once. The academic language was just too complicated to read it. "Darn me and my inability to seat and study.
Mercy
After getting Vincent's opinion, Maya walks over to where Dana and Addie are talking and waits for a chance to say something without interrupting either of them. At an opportune time, she leans in to Addie. "Hey, I have talked to all of my companions and we have unanimously voted to allow you to join us, if you still want that. Before you decide, let me cover some of the ground rules, which I think are fairly easy to live with. There is no prejudice in the camp. We have mages, adepts, and mundanes. We have a wide range of skills available and because we are a small group, most of them get used. Everyone gets a say and everyone gets a vote. I might be the accepted leader, but it is a group thing. I really have no more votes than anyone. We usually go my the majority rule in a vote, so having you in the mix makes seven of us, which will reduce the number of ties. You will be just as important a part of the group as anyone else. You have some good ideas, so you can be proud of that, but remember that we all get to vote on them before they are adopted. It is expected that you will be polite and respect the rest of us. Sex is allowed, but you will need to find a partner, and right now most of us have come out and said no. That can change of course, but it must be consensual and discreet enough not to bother others."

"Are you still interested?"
Beta
"Yes, interested -- but I don't know that I should get a vote, really. I'm only talking about a short term stay with your group, I think. I'll see how things go. But because I'm not planning on being with you long term, you can't be sure my vote takes your long term interests into account". In her own head Addie adds " and it is probably best that you don't let me screw you up too."

Too Dana she adds "that is amazing!". Then her eyes widen, and with true excitement she asks "Oh! could you do this for someone as big as Dot? She loves fantastical stories, and I think she would be thrilled by a chance to change into an animal! You would make her so happy, I think."
Gilga
Dana is excited seeing Addie's reaction. She said "I cannot make her an eagle, but a large cat or wolf should be possible, maybe I can make her as big as a bear. It is trail and error really... there is no way to say exactly. When I try to change my own shape to something too big, the spell just fails - and usually gives me a headache for a few hours."

To Maya's comment about sex Dana replies "Since Grok *left* us, the chances of sexual activity became slim...
She then giggles, and then feels awkward for laughing at a dead guy. she say "Heh... Welcome abroad, and well as long as you are with us you get to vote. Nothing in this place is long term.
Mercy
Maya nods. "Dana is right. As long as you are part of us, you get a say and you get a vote. If you are not sure how you think on an issue, you can abstain, but we are a group of friends trying to survive and create something good, something different from the outside world. You don't have to be a short-term member and we would live for you to stay. Say, speaking of Dot, I remember that she wanted badly to return to this camp because she thought you needed her here. I am sure that the group would vote for her to join us as well if she wants to stay near you." Maya reaches out and touches Addie on the arm. "And I meant what I said about us being a group of friends. If you need a friend........."
Aria
Day 4, Big Camp

“Right…so we have a clear direction of sorts…” Rick said, staring at the place where the spirit had disappeared from… “whilst I hate to be predictable…” with a mild glare at Dana “we can only deal with one threat at a time, and the biggest seems to me to be the toxic. One boy on foot with limited tools, even if he has taken to attacking our hunters with no cause, hardly comes close, I’m sure you agree?

We have a location, so how do we proceed? If we run, and that is still an option, I can’t see how we can avoid a shapeshifter who presumably also has astral travel, or at least spirits at his beck and call. Any ideas?

Or we go to him and face him somewhere between here and his lair…perhaps with bait to lure him to us…?”
Imladir
[Cailin - 4th day - Main Camp] #117

Cailin shrugs "We can only run if he allows us to. In much the same way as he allows us to live right now. It's simplicity itself for him to send a spirit to wreck us. And should we disrupt said spirit so what? He just has to send another one. Right now, he holds all the cards."

She grumbles a bit, then adds "No matter what we do, we're taking a risk. For all we know, he's perfectly happy to have just here, and wouldn't like it if we tried to relocate. Not likely I think, but still." She grimaces "If we want to take him out, one way or another, it can't be at his lake. Or it could, but you can forget having any Awakened with you, we'd be more hindrances than anything else. And the only thing we know - or think we know anyway..." she glances rapidly at Vincent, but doesn't stop "Is that he doesn't like to run around to grab his alchemical resources. I'm not sure it helps us much as is... Unless we try to pilfer some sort of garden or something."
Gilga
Dana sized Rick out uncertain what to say she then added to what Caillin said and commented.

"We did not go after mountain lions to show off - we went after them to find Grok. I will come to the lake if we decide on that. Even if my magic does not work there, I am a warrior first.

We have spirits of our own, and we have five awakened and he is only one. That said, you cannot kill a giant mutated green bear with sticks and stones. To do that you either need guns, or magic. Right now we only have magic, and since magic might not work very well at the lake I see little sense in a direct assault. I am all for negotiating with him - asking him what he really wants. "

Mercy
Maya nods her head and adds, "I, too, strongly advise against any attempt to go directly at him at his lake. We simply do not have the assets to do that. I also think that it is telling that he has not done anything to hurt us here or at the smaller camp. He did not even try to hurt Vincent when he had him there. My vote, if I had one, would be to just pack up and leave the are in a direction that does not go near the lake."
Beta
Addie adds "I still think that at the least we should scout, in case we need to do anything about him. Negotiations are not a crazy idea, either -- I mean, maybe he has some idea of where we are, or how we got here!" Addie tries not to sound too excited by this idea, but she does hope that the others will find it as compelling as she does.

"We don't have a lot of negotiate with, but it sounds like he isn't exactly living high on the hog, either. As long as he doesn't want any of us -- toxic's don't sacrifice people, do they? I think they were the 'poison and corrupt everything'' ones? And whatever else he is, he's still a person, right? I think that if we do have to deal with him, dealing with the person might be easier than dealing with the mage. It is just that bear that worries me --if we did want to negotiate with him, could we get close?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012