Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salted Wounds [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
Luckace
"I was talking about the pirate broadcaster."
With his fingers drumming on the table, Wraith hesitates for a moment, then nods.
"Yeah, I'm seconding that sketch. Good work."
Volker
"Thanks" bnc says with a smile. "I left one thing open: there's no firm or organization logo yet on the sketch. In order to make it authentic, we should have one, especially as we need something that the "back to Austria and ready to crush" would refer to. I was thinking of something like "Crystal Cruisers" or so, to make her aware that we know about her condition and she doesn't have to be afraid to reveal it to us. But I'm unsure whether it might not have the opposed effect. Maybe something more neutral?"
Gilga
Anna asks "I got your story right - but I try to place myself in her shoes. There are many people that can recognize her physique, including the psychopaths that attacked us at the museum, as well as people like tinman. Any place she shows herself someone would notice her... However, if she is hiding in a Muslim ghetto. Who would notice a woman with a burka to obscure her entire body and face. She can move around like that without raising much alarm.

Then again, your story is about the Lemon Chili, Kitchen&Bar I assume they serve alcohol which is forbidden by Islam. So, a religious muslim girl should not seat there... Perhaps this is what provoked that student.... but you are right, she should know better if she tries to be disguised as a Muslima.

By the way, do you want to check if there are security cameras nearby? Or to find the student? "
Luckace
"I don't think we should include anything that also rings a bell for the Harvesters. They know about Kerstin's transformation, they know about her crystals, so 'Crystal Cruisers' might catch their attention. Unlikely, sure, but possible.
I'd rather do something that hints at you, factcheck - that's the pirate channel - Mr Nacl, or whatever. An association with a friend, that her enemies hopefully don't get."

"We should keep in mind that a place like the Lemon Chilli is easy to surveille, in case the Haarvesters also caught up on this lead. Perhaps the student - or the blogger - might be a safer approach for a start?
We could approach the student in a 'we want to teach that bitch a lesson'-fashion, that might get him talkative - if he has any significant knowledge about her, that is."
Volker
"I don't know. It doesn't at all feel like Kerstin to dress up as a muslim. But yeah, we'll find out soon enough. I do agree that we should contact the student or the blogger first. I'll do some research on them."

bnc nods appreciatingly at Wraith. "All right. Something neutral then. I would leave Nacl out of it - unless you think of something like Salt and Sunshine - because there's no way she can make the connection. But we could hint at you."
She looks him in the eye. "She'll know it's me if she knows it's you. What about a link to Saint George or so?"
Luckace
"Me?", Wraith asks honestly surprised - perhaps even flattered.
"Hm...You sure a saint would make her jump on a lead? That's a little vague and I'm not sure she'll catch a concrete lead, what does she know about saints?",

He remains still for a few moments, murmuring "Wasn't there..." while doing some research in the matrix, then his face brightened up as if he just came up with something.
"How about this!", and he pulls up an ARO showing a seemingly old band-logo that read 'Twisted Sister'.
"That's a band, quite an old one. Guess for us it would be... let's say Twisted Sister Revival Corp, or something like that. In that style. To anyone noticing it or doing some research on us, it's nothing but the logo of some neo-rockers. Fits perfectly with the 'what pirate-channels do you like'-stuff.
To Kerstin, however... The revival of the twisted sister can mean only one thing: bnc is back."

Then his face grows darker, as if he just thought of some bad news.
"But it has one weakness:
The Harvesters found out Kerstin's private livelihood, remember that. How did they get such information - or from whom? Call me paranoid, but it could theoretically be through someone from factcheck, Kerstin's former team.
If one of her comrades betrayed her, they can read that as well... and then this bait will lead them right to Kerstin and to us."
Volker
At first, bnc doesn't even take him seriously. When she sees the band logo, she starts saying something along the line "C'mon, she knows there's a Saint...", but then she pauses mid-sentence, and reflects about the thought. At the end of his explanations, she grins widely.
And then he slaps the grin out of her face. Her expressions darkens.
She answers sourly, and in a slightly louder voice then ususal: "You have no idea what you're talking about! I know them longer then you do, and better, too, obviously. They'd never betray one of them. Not everybody's as disloyal to their master as you are. And even if-"
And suddenly bnc realizes what she's just said, and, likely for the first time for anyone in they group, they see her terribly and truly sorry. "Drek, sorry! Sorry, Wraith, I didn't meant that. That just blurted out. I'm sorry, really, I just, I couldn't believe that you - really, I didn't mean it. I'm sorry."
Luckace
Wraith is visibly hurt by that and quite angry. He jumps up from his chair, takes a step forward towards bnc and points one finger accusingly at her: "You have no FRAGGING right call me disloyal. Not you!"
His usually calm voice is almost a shout.
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy doesn't leave his chair, but he does shuffle his feet and change his posture in case he needs to quickly get up and physically separate the two.
Volker
bnc just stands, unblinking, unbreathing, for the beat of an heart. Then she swallows hard.
"I deserved that."
Then bnc hastily breaks eye-contact, her features hardening. She fetches the eltropaper from the table and turns to leave.
Luckace
While bnc takes the scolding stoicly, Wraith stares at her with angry, narrowed eyes. The moment she breaks eye-contact, though, he already seems to regret what he just said.

He steps back and bites his lip, being seemingly unhappy about how the situation went.
"I... frag.", he murmurs and runs his hand over his forehead in a nervous gesture.
When bnc turns around, it looks like Wraith was about to say something apologizing - but his mouth closes again into a sour grimace of both regret and anger.

It takes him a few more seconds of glaring bnc as she packs and makes her way to the door to finally swallow his pride and say:
"Sorry. That was... the wrong time for that. How 'bout we...", and he clears his throat, "...forget about that for now and finalize our plans?"
His voice is calm again shows no intention to continue their quarrel for now.
Volker
"Go, fuck yourself, freak.", bnc snaps without turning. Then she turns and addresses the group in general.
"Plan's finished. Twisted Sister it is. We leave after breakfast."

She reaches for the door, then hesitates, biting her lip hard. Then, with visible effort, she turns back to the party and adds in a voice as steady as she can muster.
"That is, unless someone of you wants to say something."
Gilga
Anna looks at Shark, clearly amused, though she has nothing to add, to the entertainment. Anna barely knows what the two are talking about. "The two of you take yourself so seriously, what was that all about?" she asks nothing in particular.
Luckace
Wraith's eyes and brows narrow, but he doesn't respond to bnc's insult.
"Just a... quarrel about a previous job.", he replies hesitantly to Anna's question.
"Nothing that will impact this mission."
He doesn't seem to be in the mood for storytelling.
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy releases his tension, "Well as long as it won't impact this job, I hopefully won't need to do anything about it."

"Now then, I'm going to see how long until my clothes get out of the cleaner."
Volker
bnc doesn't even so much as react to Anna's question. Her eyes shortly dart to Sharkboy but as he, too, doesn't wish to prolong the meeting, she nods stiffly towards the group (without making eye contact to either Anna or Wraith), say "Departure at nine. Is that okay?", waits for an answer, then briskly leaves the room.
Back in her appartment, she smashes in the mirror with her bare fist, then tends to the cuts on her hand. After that, she Jumps Into James, leaves the hotel and runs to blow off some steam. She'd chase through forests, jump rivlets, climb rocks, swing from the branch of a tree to then drop thirty feet to the ground, get up, run more, jump more, climb more. She'd be out for more than two hours before finally returning to her appartment. Back home, bnc returns to her own mediocre meat bag and tend to the scratches and dents James might have suffered.

Only then her mind is clear enough to proceed according to protocol. She forces herself to focus on the task again, trying to avoid to think about the end of the task: her broken sister.
She lays herself on the bed, closes her eyes and goes full VR. Time to hunt you down, motherfucker

[ Spoiler ]
Luckace
Wraith nodds at departing at nine in the morning.
He waits a few seconds to compose himself, seemingly thinking about what tasks are still to be done. He looks like he wants to move on with business and best not ponder about their disagreement.

Clearing his throat, he seemingly came up with something for him to do:
"Now... We still have that alchemical wonderbox we got from the mage. I'd rather not sit on such hot stuff for too long.
Before we move away from Linz, I'll contact my talismonger-friend in the city. She should give us a good price for it.
Or... anyone have other plans for Pandora's Box?"

If no objections come, he'll contact his friend Silvia, a fence for (mostly) magical goods in Linz, and hopefully arrange a meeting.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
Wraith didn't find a direct confirmation that their ruse with the axe had worked - at least nothing that had made it into the news. Although there were a few news items about accidents and fires that might have been connected to a retaliation action.
At least his connection came through and offered to take the goods of him for the standard 20% market value.

bnc had more luck: The blogger was easy to find: Marisa Chechaszec was a student at Salzburg University and housed at a local student accomodation. Soon she had both her address as well as some useful background info on her likes and dislikes.
The Burschenschaftler was part of Gothia Salzburg, a fancy fencing student organization. Only his first name was given in the blog post: "Thomas", but a bit of digging identified him as Thomas Oberreuther, son of the famous pianist Marcel Oberreuther. Thomas' living arrangement were within the Burschenschaft building - easy to find, but not necessarily easy to access. The best bet to catch him would be at Uni after his law courses.
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy went to get his outfit from the cleaners, and after returning it and finally getting suited up, he sent a message to the team.

@Team>> My required getup is a bit loud to walk around this city. Unless you need me be a distraction and cause trouble while you finish your prep on the breadcrumbs and magic boxes, why don't I take the van and make the rendezvous with Abdecker and get our gear? Anyone who wants to tag along is free to do so.>>
Luckace
@team:
<< Good idea, Sharkboy. If he has our stuff ready, that is. Anyone heard from him?

Contact takes box for 20%, will go to town and meet her. If anyone wants to join, meet me downstairs in 5 min. Anna, if you want to get to know a trustworthy local talismonger, I can introduce you.>>

Gilga
Anna replies >> sure I don't mind meeting a local talismonger... I never use reagents, but they seem useful and I should be more open-minded toward them as a chaos mage.

Jack_Spade
A quick message to Abdecker revealed that the consignment would be ready to be picked up in another 24 hours.
Luckace
After informing his contact that he'd like to introduce her to a collegue, Wraith sets off to the arranged meeting. The Suzuki is a bit slower with two riders, but still makes the trip into the city in no time.
Wraith introduces the two women and then gets down to business.
He'll of course ask his contact about who would be using such a container and if she can make out any details about where or by whom this box could have been purchased.
Jack_Spade
Silvia looked the box up and down and smiled:
"It's a so called vault of ages - but a very expensive, portable one. High quality, quite a lot of radical reagents went into it's production. This has corp research written all over it. I can give you a good bit of cash for that. I'm just not sure how safe it is to open. I think I'll have to prepare a homunculus to do that for me. Warning lables like that aren't usually a bluff."
Thanee
Nova was glad, when the little outburst was over. She didn't want to get entangled in that stuff, that clearly had nothing to do with her. When Wraith offered to take the box to one of his contacts, she obviously agreed. She didn't know anyone better-suited for that stuff. She just replied with a little thumbs-up-icon.

When Sharkboy offered to fetch their gear, she replied: << @Sharkboy: Since part of our gear is a bike for me, I guess I better tag along. >>
Luckace
"How much are we talking here?", Wraith asked.

He seemed surprised about the dangers of the box.
"Oh, be careful, then, Silvie.", he smiled back at her. After a short moment of hesitation, his curiosity got the best of him. That, and a mixture of pragmatism - a Homunculus could be a tedious thing to create - and business-sense: in case anything special was inside, it was bettee know about it before selling it.

"Uhm... perhaps we can be of help with opening it. Anna here knows a really wiz spell that she can use to open things from a safe distance. Right, Anna?
And I can create a barrier to shield us from... ah, what kind of threat were you expecting?"

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Anna introduces herself to Silvie and takes a queue from Wraith "I believe it is called magic fingers spell, and I can also shield the place from some magical effects by forming a mana barrier around the box. I believe that the magic fingers are less likely to trigger the preperation than an honinculus. I assume that these would increase the safety in opening the, value."
Jack_Spade
Silvie shrugged: "Depends what's inside. The vault I can take of your hands for 20k.
Don't bother with the barrier. If it's a mana based defense it will go right through. Same if it's some kind of bound spirit. That's why I use a homunculus - gives whatever is inside a convenient first target.
Chill your heels - It won't take long to make one."

She pointed at a rough little clay statue in the corner of the room: "But if you want to make yourself useful, drag this thing over into my circle. Get yourself something to eat. In about an hour I'll have this thing ready."

True to her word, it takes her only one hour to bring the clay statue to life. It's movements are jerky, thanks to the low force behind the ritual, but agile enough to carry the box.
Silvie led her visitors through the backdoor into her snowy backyard, as far away from the house as possible. There the clay golem droped its burden and waited.
"Let's get inside and see what happens. The wards should be enough to shield us from whatever is in there."

Once inside again behind the windows, the little figure grabbed the lidd and pulled. For a moment nothing happened. Then the lidd came off. An invisible wave of energy ran across the surroundings, boiling snow to steam, shattering the golem and left a perfect 10m circle around the vault.

"Wow. That was stronger than I expected. Must have been an alchemical bomb maker behind that."
After going to the site to look inside the vault, they found it's contents to be destroyed, but the vault intact.
"Whoever you got this from knew exactly what he was doing. That power ball could have roasted a troll."
Luckace
Getting something to eat brought a welcome opportunity to get his mind off the outbreak earlier. Since they had a full hour, the two mages even had time to take a little detour to the main square of Linz and could see some of the prettier spots of the old town on the way and while eating.
Wraith kept the team up to date:
@team:
<< Box will bring us 20k, contact preps magic ritual to safely open it. Will take some time.>>

Back at the fence's place, Wraith - seemingly not too worried about the evils that a small locker could unleash - followed Silvia's orders without too much concern. The impact of the powerball caught him by surprise and he wistled impressedly after the detonation. "Phew, am I glad you insisted on the homunculus."

The destroyed contents and the mention of the vault's creator gave him a worried look.
"You're still in for the box alone, right? But first a fair warning, Silvie: The box is quite hot, be careful to whom you sell it... But what am I saying, you know about these kinds of deals!"

He cleared his throat and held out his open hand. "Is it settled - the box for 20k?"
SquirrelDude
@Team <<Contact said purchase should be ready for pickup tomorrow morning. Nova and I can go pick it. The rest of you can do whatever mojo or matrix stuff you need to tonight and then sleep.>>
Jack_Spade
"Sure", Silvie said, "I might actually keep it for myself - for a while at least. It can hold quite powerful preparations and indefinitely. All things considered, it's quite a bargain."
A credstick changed hands, and Silvie complimented the to runners to the door.
Luckace
After a handshake to seal the deal, Wraith was ready to leave (unless Anna wants to exchange comcodes with the talismonger or something).
Back outside in the cold, he buttons up his coat an heads towards the motorcycle. "Now... Let's get back to the hotel. Tomorrow's gonna be a long day."
Gilga
Once concluding the transactions, Anna asks about purchasing some chaos tradition reagents. She hops on the motorcycle and says "That place... I hate being boxed up in there."
Luckace
"Really? It didn't seem so bad in the morning.", Wraith winked.
"But you're not locked in there. We could take a little cruise before we return. The old city centre, the Danube riverside... Linz has beautiful spots. "

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
The rest of the stay was uneventful. Abdecker came through as promised, delivering the equipment within 48 hours.
As an added bonus, Eliza's van returned.
The hacker's electronic voice announced: <<The mercenary is safely stashed and sedated in the Insbruck hideout. Tell me where to meet and I'll pick you up>>
Volker
bnc uses the rest of the day to bring some order in everything: her thoughts, her feelings, her stuff. She installs the upgrades into James and takes another tour dashing through the wood - but this time at night, with her augmented vision. If nothing else happens, she'll instruct Eliza how to find the group and prepare to leave at nine o' clock in the morning.
Luckace
Wraith shows up at the breakfast room quite early. Over night, he had charged up his bike and inner reserves and was now eager and ready to set their plans in Salzburg in motion.
At five minutes before 9, he arrives in the hotel's lobby and seemingly reads something online while waiting for the rest of team to muster up.

"Finished the sketch? How did the logo turn up?", he asked bnc after greeting her, his gaze somewhat distracted with whatever he's reading.
Thanee
Nova had quite some fun driving her new bike back to the hotel. Her evening was pretty busy, sorting through all the ammunition, trying the various armor pieces in different combinations and so on. She sent Eliza a quick << Welcome back! >>.

After her morning workout, she appeared in the breakfast room wearing her casual attire like during most of the last few days.
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy's second day was mostly the same as the first. A dinner of meat and carbs. Running in the morning, followed by taking breakfast in his room. The only differences were that he took the Maitre D' troll's up on his offer to borrow his weights.

Sharkboy exited his room wearing his freshly pressed suit, his duffle bag slung over his left shoulder.

"Shall we go?"
Jack_Spade
The drive to Salzburg was easy and done within one and a half hours. The old city presented itself in best weather conditions: A clear, blue sky, houses dusted with just enough snow to make it all look pretty, but the streets dry and clean. An almost perfect picture book style appearance:

https://images.panoramatours.com/pt/focus/5...lzburg_GmbH.jpg

Eliza chirped in: <<Do you already have arrangements for a place to stay? Otherwise, I'd have a lead on a small holiday flat, not too far from the city center. >>
Luckace
"That would be great, thanks.", Wraith replies to Elizia's offer.
During their drive, he had taken a good look st the info bnc had dug up.
"Seems like law courses are held in a part of the university that's right in the historical city centre. That means lots of prying eyes around the uni.
How shall we approach him? Pretending we'd like to teach the 'Muslim whore' a lesson might get him talkative, but might seem more suspicious than a less direct approach. In any other case, I'd say we pretend to be from an insurance company, but with him studying law, chances are he probably knows more about such stuff than we do.

And about the blogger... Perhaps another blogger requesting her to share her story might work? bnc, can you find - or spoof up - another blog that we could use to cover up why were interested in her story?"
Gilga
Anna replies "For both I'd suggest a cute student, that wants to be a blogger and is slightly biased against Muslims.We can't fake a real blog, but the wannabe story may be enough."
Luckace
"Just copying a few texts so it looks like we got something shouldn't be too tedious. Or, if we're lazy, we could just claim ownership over another blog. I mean, she's probably not gonna verify any of that, right? Or am I wrong here, bnc, that's your metier? "
Volker
bnc, too, thanks Eliza for finding them a place to stay.

"Let's first settle the approach. I can do both, so once we decided he we approach them, I can do the mat' moj'. To be frank, I'd rather let you charmers decide how to bulldrek the info out of those chinkies. I'd rather keep my distance from real-life meat bags if I can. Just don't leave the thinking to Anna, then we're good."
SquirrelDude
"It's probably best if you don't. Don't want another incident like at the BMW museum.

"So then, which one of you three think you can pull off an Islamaphobe, and why isn't it the christian dude?" he said pointing a thumb at Wraith.
Gilga
"Or we can let the Shark do the talking... He is a wrestler, and he wears a mask... some of the most famous racist clubs wear masks."
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy was quiet for a second. "Cómo eres tan tonto?"

"I haven't been to school in a while, but I don't think men in luchador masks have become commonplace in my time away. Subtlety isn't my thing, anyway."
Volker
"What if you go less straightforward? You - whoever "who" will be - could casually meet him in a bar. Maybe you can get him to advance you and not the other way round. Hang out with him. Don't address the topic - wait for him to bring it up. I guess, he will, eventually, especially if you wear the right band shirt, wear the right symbols, complain about niggers and chinks here or there. Don't press. Let him press.
Not that I could pull it off. But if you can, that might work."
Thanee
"That sounds like a job for Anna, right?" Nova said.

"What exactly do we hope to learn from this guy again? Wouldn't the security tapes from the bar - if they have such a thing - help us more?"
Gilga
Anna says "I don't mind doing it, I only understand little German though, though perhaps it'll make me less suspicious."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012