Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salted Wounds [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
Thanee
Even though, the castle was supposed to be empty, you never knew what kind of surprises you would encounter.

Therefore, when Anna went to open the door, Nova had her rifle ready and was watching the doorway for any signs of trouble.
Volker
"Ugh, frag! We just released an alarm. Let's hurry up!"

Cursing, bnc releases a bunch of bullets at the jammer.

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Bad feeling... urg... she always trusts her guts and so Anna gets far from the door and opens it with the magic fingers spell.
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

Buchner's last message read: "I have pinpointed the creatures lair to Castle Neuhaus. The ward was recently disturbed and there is a slight smell of fresh meat in the air. I'll take a quick look to confirm and pull out again immediately. Keep the rapid response team ready."
Volker
bnc quickly spoofs a message. "I could escape but so did the creature. It went eastward, probably trying to reach the Gaisberg radio station. Pick me up at Stadtpfarre St. Gnigl in 25 mins and make sure to bring blood bags. I might be able to trace it again."

She then readies her gun and prepares herself for whatever lies behind that door.
Jack_Spade
Using magic fingers to open the door turned out to be wise - it meant that the explosion had lost just enough of its initial power not to kill the team instantly.

[ Spoiler ]

Thanee
Nova was hurled against the wall from the force of the blast. It could not really hurt her through the layers of armor, but she did feel the impact nonetheless.

[ Spoiler ]
Luckace
The force of the explosion gripped Wraith's weak body like a giant's fist and smashed him against the wall behind him.

[ Spoiler ]
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy was caught flatfooted by the explosion, barely able to get his arms up try and cover his neck. The flechettes either embedded harmlessly into his suit, or bounced of his helmet or orthoskin, but he couldn't resist the wave of energy that took something out of him fierce.

[ Spoiler ]

Gilga
Anna was knocked on her back by the force of the explosion, but her expensive clothes mitigated the worse part of it, and as disoriented as she felt the pain from the blow.
[ Spoiler ]

She crawled a few meters away in pain and confusion before decides that she is far enough to cast a spell. Resist pain so that she can think clearly. It was not a particularly draining spell because it only increased the production of naturally occurring substances in the brain.

[ Spoiler ]

"Anna is unhurt!" she cries, hoping that the rest of her team will give a quick status report.
Volker
James was hurled more than a meter through the air but the autopilot managed to roll off smoothly. When the blast was over, the armor was dented and lined with scrapes, but James stood.

"bnc is miles away", bnc adds, then looks around. To her shame, she first looks into the room and only then checks for her teammates' health.

[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
Nova stood back up and looked over the situation. Looked like they were lucky, everyone was still moving.

"I have my smaller medkit with me, so let's see that we can get everyone into shape again."

[ Spoiler ]

Gilga
Anna says "I don't know of conventional healing, but let me take the pain away." she touches Nova, Wraith and then Shark and a few seconds later the pain is gone, suppressed by a massive production of endorphins. She looks at James and says "Of course bnc can help... with the right pilot James can be a brain surgeon, but since all of us are in reasonable shape, let's get to the car and use the medic kit there.
Luckace
Wraith groaned in pain as he crashed against the wall and fell flat on his back. It takes him a few moments to deal with the first shock, just lying on his back, focussing to not black out. His whole body hurt, there was a comstant ringing in his ears and his head felt like a troll had used it as a golf ball - but nothing seemed to be broken. I was lucky. Looks like the Lord still has plans for me.

Dimly, Anna's call reaches his senses, which he copies sluggishly: "I'm... 'kay."
With one hand against the wall, he stands up slowly and takes an unsteady step forward.

When Anna touches him with her healing magic, he gasps as the pain and ringing are suddenly flooded away, and his posture straightens up visibly. He mumbles a "... thanks.", and takes a look around at his comrades and at the now open door to the rigged room, where bnc had just slipped through.

He takes no part in the discussion about medkits - either because his head is still a bit sluggish, or because he has less wordly concerns on his mind.
"If they have mages, their spirits will be upon us way before we reach the car. I'll pray for protection."
He folds his hands over his crucifix-necklace and activates his summoning-focus. Taking a few steps away from the room with the tainted magical background, he murmurs "Lord, we ask for your protection: send your emissaries to shield us against our enemies."

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
The debris on the floor of the adjacent room turned out to be mostly easily inflammable stuff, and through the explosion most of it had caught fire. The jammer had been destroyed.
A quick look showed that Kerstin had cleaned out her lair - all the hardware they knew she had gotten from Abdecker - minus a bit of the explosives obviously - was absent. In hindsight the trap was obvious now - why else would she have left good meat go to waste.
Thick clouds of smoke began to form. If the team wanted to find any clues, they would have to work fast...

[ Spoiler ]
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy didn't comment on the situation, doing his best to act unharmed and still imposing.

"Thanks for the pain relief, but does anyone here have a way to blow the smoke out of the room so we can have a look?"
Gilga
Anna says "Out out... before someone passes out, James can do it but we need to breathe." she follows her own advice and leaves, as she understands that her body cannot take more torment without first aid.
Thanee
Nova looked around, but the smoke made it hard to see much. Maybe she got lucky?

[ Spoiler ]
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy moves through the room, breathing through his mask's respirator, doing his best to take notice of anything that might be important.

"Meet you out there."

[ Spoiler ]

Gilga
Anna exits the burnign building with a survival instinct and walks to the car.
Jack_Spade
Kerstin must have been in a hurry, since she hadn't managed to remove all relevant gear from the room. While the jammer had already been mangled by the explosion, Sharkboy and Nova both looked immediately under the ratty mattress in the corner of the room. Under it, they found a Savalette Guardian pistol - with what looked like the propulsion system of mini drone mounted to it.
They didn't have much time to look it over while the room was filling with acrid smoke from burning plastic.

Back in the fresh air, it became clear that they were quite in luck: The drone was intact and also still owned and protected by Kerstin's commlink...

[ Spoiler ]
Luckace
Wraith leaves that castle and - more importantly - the ward and waits for the team.
If Anna really leaves farther than necessary, Wraith urges her to stay back until the rest of the team emerges:
@Anna:
<<Let's not split up again. There's a response team out there.>>

He waits for his spirit to appear on the other side of the ward - back from the metaplanes, probably - and watches the surrounding.
[ Spoiler ]
SquirrelDude
[ Spoiler ]
Sharkboy grabbed the pistol and device and got out the room, hacking smoke even through the respirator. He was moving well enough, but only due to the combination of magic, damage compensators and adrenaline.

"We found a drone. I expect you can make it worth our trouble"
Gilga
Anna replies "Exactly, let's get to the fucking car before something else tries to kill us." She shrugs, and seeing Shark and Nova out of the place she pick up her pace toward the car.
Thanee
Nova withstood the acrid smoke fairly well, but there was no time to linger. She headed out quickly as well, relying on her Ultrasound system to find the way in the heavy smoke.

"Damned smoke. I could use a drink now..."

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
The way back was accompanied by coughing, ringing ears and stinging from scrapes and cuts, but they made it down the pathway to the parking lot without encountering anybody.
Inside the van they had a chance to tend to their injuries.
By now, a thin smoke plume was rising from the castle and in the distance a fire siren could be heard. If not an HTR team then a fire brigade would soon be here...
Gilga
Anna sighs and seems hesitant for a moment before she says "Bei all dem Chaos, das wir machen, sollte ich mein Deutsch mehr üben, da wir auch dieses Land überspringen werden." clearly making an effort to say it correctly, and speaks a bit slower than she would if she was truly fluent. Her cough is less than the others, and she finds it hard to suppress a grin, and then a laugh. "It feels so good to be alive!" She finally says and then looks at Wraith and says "It was soo close!... Tell God, that I say thanks for interfering on our behalf."

[ Spoiler ]

SquirrelDude
When the medical treatment was offered in the van, Sharkboy had little problem removing his suit jacket, dress shirt and pants. His masked stayed on. It was hardly uncomfortable for him. It was how he dressed for his real job.

"Thanks for the treatment, ma'am."
Luckace
During their march to the car, Wraith visibly worried that the HTR-team might ambush them any second.
Towards Anna's remark, he replies with a grin as well as frowned brows - seemingly unsure whether she's being sarcastic. "Why don't you do it yourself? I always find thanking god relieving. Who knows, you might find solace in unexpected places"
He shakes his head, as if catching himself at a bad habit. "But enough preaching for today."

Wraith complies with Nova's and bnc's professional treatment. "Thanks ", he sighes relieved afterwards.

When the procedure was over, he closed his eyes and murmured "Omniscient god, grant me a glimpse of your knowledge and show me any pursuers."

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Anna replies "Relieving? How utilitarian of you I find it strange that you speak like this. I grew up in a religious house, I am no stranger to praying. However, when I prayed I was still mundane. Nobody answered me when my mind reached for powerful entities that I did not understand. Things are different now.

Praying is an attempt of interaction with a powerful divinity. I do not understand it very much, and I do not know the risks of such interaction. It clearly has real power, and should not be attempted lightly. You know many entities actually answer when I interact with them, I must be ready for an answer but can you ever be ready to interact with the almighty Lord of creation? I mean, I am very careful with interacting with powerful spirits, and even these lesser interactions can harm me.

I felt something, like a guardian angel whispering 'Don't do that' in my ear before I opened the door. None of my senses spotted the trap, and I am usually very observant. So, divinity is a possibility and out of all divinities, I am most aligned to the Lord. I know very little of other faiths, so it'll be very strange if Buddha or the Wicca goddess interacted with me. You actually interact with the Lord so I would be very happy if you thank her for me. I do not want to appear rude or anything."
Volker
Once again, bnc was glad to have left her worthless body behind. While the others were coughing and crying, she felt perfectly fine. On their way back, she checked from the air whether there were followers or not. Still, she sighed with relief, when they finally reached their van, her heart racing. She immediately starts the engine and sends the car off. Only then did she allow herself to pause and investigate the drone, hoping a vain hope.
And her heart skipped a beat when she saw what they found.
"Oh my god", she gasps. "This could be it. Dammit, this could be it!"
[ Spoiler ]

Only with great effort can she pull herself from the drone. She blinks alive, her meat body stirs, but immediately her eyes dart over to the precious thing they found.
"Uuhm ... you said something about being hurt, right? Uh ... first things first, I guess."
Her heart beats fast, but once she sets herself to the task of supporting Nova, she focusses on the deed, not allowing herself to think of the precious jewel in their possession.
Once everything's done, she quickly double-checks that they didn't miss anybody, but then immediately collapses in the next seat. She grabs the drone with slightly shaking hands. Only then does it occur to her that she could explain. With a voice faint as a whisper, she says "It's slaved to her 'link..."
Then she pulls a fibreoptic cable out of her datajack and attaches it to the drone. With a sigh, she leans back and goes limp.
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
When bnc started the car, Nova immediately stopped her. "Wraith and I still have our bikes here. Let's fix everyone up and then leave."

Once that is done and when bnc informs the rest about what they brought back, she says: "Oh? That is great! Then we might just have the means to get into contact with her directly, right? Try not to spook her, so she does not sever that line."

Nova wraps up her stuff and gets on her bike to zip off. There would be reinforcements coming in at some point, after all.
Jack_Spade
Gaining a MARK on Kerstin's link was a definite success. The setup looked very sophisticated - even more sophisticated than what you'd expect an apparent professional like Kerstin to have. More like something an operative of the government might possess.
There were only three names logged in the directory: One went to the doorman Abdecker used to get his calls. The other was Splitterbruch. The brawling elf seemed to be still on her contact list then. The third one was new to bnc.

Three encrypted files, numbered 1 to 3 were the only other thing to be found on the link. All of them carried databombs.

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
[ Spoiler ]

Heart racing, bnc searches the commlink. On the one hand, she's a bit disappointed - this definitely was just a commlink, not her commlink - still, it was hers.
bnc can't resist the temptation to follow her most obvious first impulse: She enhances her grip on the commlink, then traces down its physical location: It might or might not be Kerstin's, but it might be another piece of the puzzle to find her. Only then, after a second pause, bnc attacks the data bombs the secure the well-protected files.
Gilga
Coughing Anna looks intently at bnc and is unaware of the drama."Brainiacs and their matrix expeditions..." she says to herself. Her head was heavy, and she closes her eyes waiting for some hint as to how successful the hacking was.

Jack_Spade
It was the jackpot - likely. The commlink traced to Salzburg SAM trainstation, somewhere beneath the tracks, likely a bolthole in a maintenance shed or tunnel.

File 1 contained a pretty detailed plan of attack on the hidden Mitsuhama lab under the Kapuzinerberg. Kerstin had gone to great lengths to learn about guard rotations, deliveries, reaction times and fire drills. It also confirmed the date of the attack: Rose Monday night, when even Salzburg would be teeming with people in disguises and most personell would take off the next day.

File 3 contained research files on blood crystals, describing how Kerstin experienced her transformation. How she went blind for a day and the next found her eyes replaced with crystal orbs, allowing her to see in the dark and also the astral. How her arm had decayed, shedding skin and muscle until it revealed a crystal core that grew back into an arm with a sharpened claw and allowing her to shape it into a blade.
She also documents her regeneration ability, noting that sunlight hurts her and stops the regeneration, but nothing else. She also documents that if she doesn't eat human flesh at least once a day, she starts to halucinate and hear voices.
SquirrelDude
[ Spoiler ]

"Based on what we've got, does anyone think they can figure out where she might start her approach from? It'd be better to intercept her before she starts a raids on a corp facility than help with evac."
Gilga
Anna had no knowledge about tactics, but she looked at the plan and worked her imagination anyhow... She had some silly ideas initillay - she was not afterall a tactician. After she got used to thinking in that particular manner she could come with a sensible plan. Or at least it looked sensible to her.
[ Spoiler ]
Luckace
Anna's honest interest in prayer seemed to surprise Wraith. "I... um, don't see prayer as something to be scared of. But putting it like that, sure. I'll include your thanks in my prayers. Will be my pleasure."
Her reffering to a 'guardian angel' that warned her of the trap brought a smile to his face. The Lord does work in mysterious ways... He's just about to answer - likely another religious sermon - when Nova's reminder about the bikes and then bnc's 'Heureka' pull his attention back to the wordly affairs.

"...to her link? Ah, bullseye!", Wraith shouts out with excitement. Finally, their hunt was paying off... Thank God for bringing us this far.

He doesn't participate in the discussion about strategy. He's been used to being a solo player - coordinating a team isn't his forte.
"No clue.", he replies to Sharkboy's question. "But why don't we check out her bolthole first? She doesn't really ave anywhere to go during daytime - we might be able to find her. Spirits could help. Or turning into rats and scowering the sewers from there."
Volker
When bnc opens her eyes again, her heart is pounding heavily and her fingers are shaking. So close ... don't make a mistake now, bnc ... Don't scare her away!

"Yeah, I agree. If we can, we should intercept her before she starts the operation. Anna, Wraith ... if a spirit Conceals you, how high's the chance that you can scout out her bolthole without raising her suspicion? She can astrally perceive now, and while she's not used to it, she's used to being followed, she's paranoid and she grew a hell of a lot more professional since I last met her in flesh and blood."
Thanee
<< We should definitely check that hideout. If we can find her, talk to her in person, that would certainly be for the best. >>
SquirrelDude
"Let's just not open doors without clearing them, next time."
Luckace
Wraith scratched his chin at bnc's question, obviously hesitating. "A woman with Kerstin's abilities and powers that we don't fully understand...Plus paranoia. I'd give her decent chances to detect me. I'm not too gifted when it comes to moving unnoticed."
He glances towards Anna to see how much confidence she has in her sneaking abilities.
"But what speaks against impersonating tunnel critters? Worst thing she's gonna see is an awakened rat."

He grins at Sharkboy's remark. "You bet your ass I'm gonna double-check every fragging door I touch from know on."
Gilga
Anna replies "Well... We know that she is very new to the astral as is evident by her triggering the ward at the morgue. So paranoid or not, she still needs some experience to spot me when disguising myself in the background count. What do you want me to do exactly?... and what if I am discovered? Should I knock her out? Runaway? Talk to her?"
SquirrelDude
"Talk to her. Find some way to message us the location. Stall.

"If you attack, and get astrally brained, we don't find anything out. If you run away, you might look like someone trying to find her."
Luckace
Still a bit hesitantly, Wraith nods as well. "K, if you think that's the better approach, let's do it your way. I suggest we use the telepathic web for communication, so we see what you see.
Shall we inspect the tunnels around her lair first and look for her escape routes? If Kerstin freaks out and runs, we gotta react immediately. Anyone got good means for that?
I can try to petrify her for some time. Ain't easy, but if god wants us to succeed, he'll make her halt.
I trust him on that, so... I'm pretty confident we've got her this time."
, he says with a reassuring smile towards bnc.
Gilga
"As far as taking her down, she is most vulnerable in the astral as a dual natured person with little expirience in the astral, and likely no magic spells or spirits or any mean to fight. Stunbolt or mana barrier are good options to take her down if we must. This is assuming that she does not have magical allies. About the spell, it may work unless I need to pass award and in that case, I may ask you to drop it. I'll leave a spirit behind for communication in that regard. It will be difficult enough to cross award with the concealment power and augmented intuition. Sadly, I cannot recast the spells when projecting as they actually work on my physical body and indirectly affect my astral form. So if there is a powerful ward, I may get there without spells. "
Thanee
<< Hopefully we won't need to take her down or anything like that. Before trying something that might backfire, we should be there, on the scene, or in the vincinity. So we can act quickly, if needed. Then, scouting ahead seems like a good idea. Also, bnc, can't you just call her commlink now? Or hack it and check its camera for anything useful? Or maybe just leave a message so she can call you? I mean, she was looking for you, after all. You could tell her, that she can ask that elf or Abdecker's guy for confirmation. Send her a little video of you talking to her. Something like that. Something that will earn her trust. >>

[ Spoiler ]

Volker
Before bnc answers, she changes the autopilot to go for an address near Salzburg Sam.

"She hasn't been using this link for roughly two days. Most likely, sending a message would be a great risk and might prove futile if we cannot go sure, she would see the message. I intend to send her our graffiti, however, from a burner link.
I can hack her cam, though, and I will...

As for the plan. I definitely want to be in the area. If anything goes south, I want her to be able to see me. And, well, I'd like to have you guys around me ... just in case she's not as happy to see me as we all hope. Anna, you won't need a spirit for communication if we use that Mind Net of yours, unless you have to breach a ward. I would very much like to have a spirit around when we go there - or at least available on the metaplanes. If Kerstin acts aggressive or manages to flee, astral spells will be our first measurement, depending on the situation. If that can be avoided, I want to avoid. Maybe we can get to talk to her ... but plan A should be to scout out her lair and then ... we'll see.

Okay, lemme do some magic..."

Biting her lip nervously, bnc again leans back in the seat, only an inch away from praying to a god she doesn't believe in. She then closes her eyes and hacks Kerstin's camera.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
The camera of the link showed a dark space with a metal panel. A wire trailed from a dark hole on the top down towards the link. Likely toward an external antenna. bnc suspected, her sister had put the link inside a fuse box or some other hardware container beneath the rail tracks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012