Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salted Wounds [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
Volker
Not able to add any fire power, bnc attempts to aide from the cyberspace.

[ Spoiler ]
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy saw the vampire materialize and reacted the way he was trained to.

"OH HELL YEAH! I've been waiting for your punk-ass to show back up."

Sharkboy turned around, ran and tried to deliver a flying knee like he had at the BMW museum.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

"Funny, exactly what I thought."
The vampire replied as he stepped back just far enough that, Sharkboy's knee only graced the man's side
"To be honest, I'm still a bit sore about you forcing me to leave my sword and servants behind - and my clothes."
Lightning shone in his palm, just before he let go a bolt at Nova.

[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
Nova ducked to the side instinctively, evading most of the stream of electricity coming her way. The bolt still hit her, but something drained the magic away, and nothing happened.

[ Spoiler ]
Luckace
One moment, they were running down the corridore to finally confront Rosenberg, the next moment a vampire appeared out of nothing - Wraith panicked. What now? Lightning? No, his armor looks too tough fo that. Stunbolt? Pff, might as well through cushions at him.
There was only one spell in his repertoire that he deemed effective against such a foe: His most powerful card, that he loathed to play because of its unpredictacle effects - but this might just be the time to use it. All or nothing.

"God, turn this unholy abomination to stone!", he intoned, as he raised one hand towards the vampire and unleashed a powerful magical impulse at the man.

As the energy left his body, he felt the ache return and surge through his head, along with an annoying nosebleed. He just stood in the hallway, his raised hand now slightly trembling and awaiting magical retaliation, and prayed that his spell worked.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

Mid movement, Wraith's spell hit the armored man and made him freeze in a somewhat heroic looking pose.
Gilga
"Wow! Incredible spell Wraith." She looks at Nova and Shark and suggest "Let's finish him... and move on. He is too dangerous to leave alive."
SquirrelDude
"So do we take this thing down to the church and pour special water on him, bring him to the beach tomorrow afternoon, or just rip his head off? Never actually had to kill a vampire before. What are the rules?"
Gilga
Anna says bluntly "Take the head off, if this wouldn't kill him Heaven knows what would."
Luckace
When Wraith saw his spell turn the vampire into a pillar of salt and stone, he released his held breath with visible relief.
Phew...
"Thanks.", he murmured at Anna's remark.
"Mind giving me another painkiller-spell, before we rush to the doc? That spell blew the first one away."

He nodded at Sharkboy's intent of beheading the vampire. Gruesome, but likely necessary.

So far, Wraith resisted the urge to take off his mask and wipe the blood off his nose and face, out of fear to leave DNA-samples behind. Just stay focused. It'll stop eventually.
In the meantime, he activated his astral sight to check for any foes, traps or onlookers in the astral.
[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Anna says "Yes, sure... I'll renew the spell, we need you clearheaded. " She layed her hand at Wraith and constructed the mental construct of the resist pain spell. She felt slight exhaustion afterward, meaning that she'll need that spell herself soon.

[ Spoiler ]

"bnc, let's open the door. There has to be some locking mechanism, or we can force it open somehow. Tell us what you need us to find... or Shark and Nova can try and kick it open if you think it would be faster."
Thanee
Nova saw how Wraith's magic turned a very real threat into stone and nodded in appreciation.

"Looks like the Lord has no love for the Infected."
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy drove his elbow into the the statue, it slightly cracked but didn't come off. "Oh stop no-selling and job already." Sharkboy took a couple steps back and threw a decapitating lariat that did exactly that.

Looking over the vampire as its form returned to flesh, Sharkboy had just one question "So who has something to carry his armor? It looks high quality. Would hate to leave it."
Jack_Spade
Wraith saw in the Astral how a large Guardian Spirit was just in the progress of freeing itself from the bond of his late master. It winked at him just as it disappeared.
Beyond that there was nothing visible beyond the wards that could threaten the team from the astral side.
Gilga
Anna says "It is a powerful magical focus and may be worth a fortune but we should really get passed this door and waltz out of here before it is too late."
Thanee
"We can just take the whole guy with us on the way out. Let's finish this here first!"
Luckace
"The...", exclaimed Wraith and gestured towards the armor, only to cut himself off split-seconds later when he realized it was to late. Frag, too slow.
"Nevermind. There was a powerful spirit bound to that armor, but it' dissappeared. Won't bother us. Apart from that, no astral activity."
Wraith's head cleared as Anna's painkiller drove the headeache away and he nodded a 'thank you'.

"Yeah, let's clear the place first and put looting it second. Rosenberg could summon an army of spirits while we stand here. Let's move."
SquirrelDude
"Fine, let's go knock on the door."
Volker
bnc's heart skipped a beat when she saw the vampire materialize. She was so focused on ARO and icons that she paid hardly any attention to the mist. She somewhat successfully stifled a yelp when suddenly Wraith's - not God's, as she reminded herself - power surged through the air.
She blinks, still stunned. The fight is over, before it even began for her.

"Uhm ... yep", she says, trying to hide the moment of awe she felt but a second ago. Still, she finds herself gaping at Wraith for a split-second, while she walks towards the door, hoping against hope that he hadn't noticed.
Next time you feel like you're one step ahead of the others, remember today, cunt. bnc frowns, and focusses on the situation.

After a short glance at the door, she decides to try to open the door from the matrix.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]
Volker
[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
bnc almost recoiled when she realized what this door could do to her:
First of all, this was a heavy security door, just one step below a vault door. But what looked like tiny rivets or nails turned out to be actually electrodes, designed to fry whoever touched the surface. Not a bad precaution if you were worried about a ghoulocalypse inside your facility. The kicker was that there was no icon inside the matrix corresponding to the door - indicating that the controls were both wire access only and on the other side inside the office.

[ Spoiler ]

Volker
[ Spoiler ]

"Careful, chummers. Don't touch the door. I can't open it from the matrix - it's hard-wired. It'll have to be good old-fashioned flash and bangs."

bnc steps aside to let the big uns do their job.
Jack_Spade
bnc looked around. The walls were thick and she had the distinct feeling that they had been hewn from the living stone of the hill - perfect to block spirits from just moving through where no wards had been installed. Except... Rosenberg had astrally projected into her cell. Which meant...
The natural stone had been removed on this floor, allowing some kind of access down into the small cell complex. And what if also the ceiling had been removed to allow a separate exit towards the surface. Would someone like Rosenberg risk being trapped inside his own office?
Thanee
"Okay, step back."

Nova prepared her assault rifle and took aim, firing a few long salvos into the door. She aimed pretty high, to keep any collateral damage to computers and such inside the room to a minimum.
Volker
bnc raises a hand to stop her.
"One moment. Rosenberg can project through this facility which means that he must have removed the stone at least in some places. Wraith, Anna, if you can scout this out, we might find another path.

Or else, we just blast the fragging door away..."
Gilga
"I can have a look, try not to get me killed honey." She seats in a corrner and projects her mind to search faster for some opening to the room where Rosenberg is.

[ Spoiler ]

Thanee
"I see no reason why we shouldn't do both. We need to get in there physically, anyways, to secure the data. Right? And also rather fast than slow."
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

The bullets sparked - more than would be expected for a normal security door, but for an electrified door it was pretty much expected.
The APDS round passed through the hardened steel behind the panels with little resistance. Only six seconds later, Nova had found the hinges and the bolts keeping the door locked.
She was pretty certain, the door would open now, but also that it was likely still pretty dangerous to touch it.
Thanee
"Unless someone has a better idea, I'm gonna kick in this door now!"

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Anna returns "Sorry bnc, too dangerous even if I get passed the ward which is very difficult... I may be stuck on the other side leaving my limp body in here."

Once Nova finishes firing Anna says "I'll open it with the magic fingers spell. Get ready..." She would do just that.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
Although the spell hit almost immediately the astral barrier behind the door, the initial impulse was enough to push the door out of its frame and sever the still connected electrical wires.
The ends still sparked, warning the team not to brush against the frame.
It turned out to be a good decision not to stand directly in front of the door as well: Just as the door had fallen flat, a barrage of fully automatic weapons fire filled the resulting hole.
Nova recognized the sound as an automatic shotgun, delivering a hellish hail of flechette.
Thanee
"He really doesn't like visitors, huh?"
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy threw a smoke grenade into the room, and then dug two flash-bang grenades out of his pocket, tossing one to Nova.

"If he doesn't like visitors, we'll just have to knock real proper-like. Throw and go on your signal?"

[ Spoiler ]
Volker
"Ugh, frag, hell...", bnc curses to herself as she ducks into hiding.

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
Anna extends her awareness to protect the team from magic, she joins Shark and Nova with a flash bang of her own, trying to time it so that all grenades explode simultaneously.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
bnc looked for a signal, but found no weapons online - or commlinks beside Rosenbergs.

The three grenaded detonated with intense light and noise. But still, the weapon continued to fire - until it suddenly stopped, clicking on empty.
Luckace
Frag, this guy is serious, Wraith thought as he ducked away from the bullets. He had deactivated his astral sight as the ward impeded it and held his gun and deactivated focus ready as he waited for the bullet-hail to stop.
Gilga
Switching to her big gun from the likely useless taser. Anna says quietly "Its a distraction, hurry!" she will follow Shark and Nova inside. Gun first.
Thanee
In the meantime, Nova switched her rifles back around.

"Be careful, we do not know what else is in there," she warned before taking a closer look.
SquirrelDude
Sharkboy used his electroception to try and get a better feel for what could be in there.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
As it turned out, there was only a tripod with a Assault Auto Shotgun on it in the next room - a large PA office with two doors. One to the left, leading to a bathroom and one straight ahead leading to the inner sanctum of Rosenberg's office.
Here it showed, that the the three flashbangs did have an effect: Bleeding and crumpled on the floor, a woman in a smart business dress lay on the floor. Her breathing was very shallow and she bled freely from a scalp wound.
SquirrelDude
"Anna, take care of the girl. Wraith, see what she knows. bnc, check the next door."

Sharkboy used his electroception again to try and notice anything he couldn't see.

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
"So sorry" Anna says shyly, and she places her hand on the wounded woman. She never wants anyone to actually get hurt despite all the crazy stuff they are doing. Her fingers twitch a bit as she channels the stabilization spell to the woman.

[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
Nova slowly entered the room and took on a guard position mostly, keeping her eyes open and staying ready for any surprises that might still come. This was now bnc's playground to get the data that they needed to help her sister. Hopefully, it could still be retrieved from here.
Luckace
"On it."
Not spotting any threats, Wraith headed directly for the girl.
He hesitated for a moment, as he felt the voice of his mentor spirit rise up for not immediately helping the woman.
You're really gonna take advantage of this injured girl and use her for information? She obviously needs help!
Ugh. We just threw grenades at her - what bad is mind reading gonna do?
Besides, he told himself, Anna likely was a better healer anyways.
How convenient...

Seeing how Anna treated the woman, he assumed she was out of critical condition by now, and carefully placed one hand on her bloody forehead.
"Lord, show me a glimpse of this woman's thoughts." he murmured and silently added ...and judge her mercifully.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

The young woman was obviously confused and would likely suffer short term memory loss. But Wraith was still able to gleam a piece of information:
Dr. Rosenberg had packed up disks from his wall safe and used his private elevator to leave his office. Warning her to hide in the bathroom after setting up the ghoul defenses.
Although he couldn't make it out exactly, it seemed as if Dr. Rosenberg also planted something in his office.
Gilga
"You will survive babe." She says, and leaves the woman on the floor. Sentimental, and all but they have job to do.

>>Anything wraith useful?....

bnc said the cure should be stored here, perhaps in a refrigerator or something?"

Thanee
"Or maybe some disks in a wall safe?"

[ Spoiler ]
Luckace
"Rosenberg's on the run. He left 12 seconds ago with his private elevator.
And... It looks like he planted something in his office, but I can't make out what.
Yeah, disks in a wall safe is a good bet: looks Rosenberg took a bunch of hard disks from his safe with him when he fled."

Wraith presses the woman for any further information on the cure - where it could be or what it could be - then concludes:
"All right, we're 12 seconds behind, we gotta hurry. And be careful of whatever trap he left behind."
He switched to the team's channel, so Nyan could respond as well: "bnc, Nyan, can you send the elevator moving up from the office back down?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012