Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept Powers of SOTA 2064
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Cochise
QUOTE (mfb)
you're mistaking what's meant by non-rigid ways. they're not talking about being able to change a character's way after chargen, any more than a shaman can change totems after chargen.

Well, to me the whole section on the Ways pretty much sounds that way. I also seem to remember the emphasis that Ways are less rigid than the mentioned totem choice (or its outright forbidden change) ...

they're talking about not having clearly-defined ways with lists of associated powers.

You're getting into the direction where my criticism lies. If the connection of powers and ways isn't clearly defined, how will you determine "going astray" from any such "Way"?

if you play a way of the warrior who focuses soleley on firearms and ranged attacks for your first 100 karma, a GM might fairly decided that you've 'broken from your way' if you pick up three levels of IA: Kung Fu.

Reasoning? He's a warrior in mind. Even if he previosly focused on firearms, he'd still be a warrior when taking IA:Kung Fu ...
What you decsribe is more rigid than what Synner suggested, since it limits an Adpet even within a "Way" ...
mfb
QUOTE (Cochise)
If the connection of powers and ways isn't clearly defined, how will you determine "going astray" from any such "Way"?

that's up to the GM and player. it's what's they're talking about when they say the ways aren't rigid.
Demonseed Elite
Cochise,

If a character who has centered their magical attunement and development around speaking and non-violence decides all the sudden that brute force is necessary and takes up Killing Hands, yes, the 25% increase makes total sense. They have strayed from their way. They have turned their back on the framework they've used for however many years in the development of their power to take up a new philosophy, the von Clausewitz doctrine you mentioned.

Is that 25% penalty permenant? That's up to the GM. If a shaman strays from the path of his totem and decides he wants to start picking up hermeticism, I don't think he really has a choice. He loses his totem bonuses and starts losing Magic Attribute, and I don't think he can ever get those things back without going back to this totem. He's lost his framework. So a GM, if they wished, could say the same thing about an adept; that once your Speaker turns his back on his Way to follow violence and brute force, he's forever going to be paying more for adept powers, because he's out of his framework. Or a GM could decide that it is possible for adepts to change Ways, after a time. Build a new framework. I would say this definitely wouldn't be a short process, but possible. If the GM allows it, the adept would have a new Way, built around this von Clausewitz doctrine, and the cost increase for his powers would fade away. Like a shaman who has returned to the fold.

It does make an adept stick to a certain philosophy to an extent. Consider that a trade-off for their powers; a balancing point against the cybersams and mundanes that have been bemoaning adept power. A cybersam can install any bit of ware he wants to up to his physical limits and not worry a bit about "philosophy." An adept doesn't have that luxury. Magic is all in the mindset.

I personally know sweet Fanny Adams about Amerind religion. I do know that an exchange student at college who was an Amerind flicked through the SR1 I'd left lying around the commonroom one day and laughed herself silly at the totems. It kind of put me off playing them.

Yeah, I spent a few years living at the Native American program house at my university, not because I'm Native American, but I had a strong interest in it. My SR players also included a Mohawk (hi Pandora!). And, well, the totem list is pretty ridiculous, at least for Native American totems, which is what the base SR book uses as a foundation.
Cochise
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
If a character who has centered their magical attunement and development around speaking and non-violence decides all the sudden that brute force is necessary and takes up Killing Hands, yes, the 25% increase makes total sense.  They have strayed from their way.  They have turned their back on the framework they've used for however many years in the development of their power to take up a new philosophy,  the von Clausewitz doctrine you mentioned.

Yet he'd still be a Speaker with that change of philosophy wink.gif
He'd be on the same Way, yet gone astray?

Is that 25% penalty permenant? That's up to the GM.

You see, we can take anything to the point where we say "up to GM, change any rule you don't like", but I don't consider that as the solution when dealing with the rules as written. The rules do not provide a mechanic for taking back that 25% cost increase.

If a shaman strays from the path of his totem and decides he wants to start picking up hermeticism, I don't think he really has a choice.

That's due to the fact that the rules do say so. However, the background info on magic (from an off-play perspective) also says that the individual mindset defines the way that magical skills manifest.

He loses his totem bonuses and starts losing Magic Attribute, and I don't think he can ever get those things back without going back to this totem. He's lost his framework.

Again: Explicit ruling vs. background ... and on the philosophical side a problem of destiny vs. free will.

So a GM, if they wished, could say the same thing about an adept; that once your Speaker turns his back on his Way to follow violence and brute force, he's forever going to be paying more for adept powers, because he's out of his framework.

And that appears to be contradictory, due to the emphasis on "flexible" Ways.

Or a GM could decide that it is possible for adepts to change Ways, after a time.  Build a new framework.  I would say this definitely wouldn't be a short process, but possible.  If the GM allows it, the adept would have a new Way, built around this von Clausewitz doctrine, and the cost increase for his powers would fade away.

But that would be a house rule. And I'm not discussing a house rule, but the concept as such and its installment with the rules as written.

It does make an adept stick to a certain philosophy to an extent.

As I said: Practically all powers can be reationalized within any philosophy, once the individuality (as written in the Ways-concept) comes into play.

Consider that a trade-off for their powers; a balancing point against the cybersams and mundanes that have been bemoaning adept power.  A cybersam can install any bit of ware he wants to up to his physical limits and not worry a bit about "philosophy."  An adept doesn't have that luxury.  Magic is all in the mindset.

That last point is, what's important to me: In SR magic is in the mindset. A change in that mindset will alter the magic's output. But that "Lost Adept" concept (just as its ED counterpart) treats magic outside the mindset, thus limiting the access to magic, once the mindset is altered.

Demonseed Elite
You're arguing a lot of semantics now, which I'm just not going to get into, because I think it's silly.

Look, no, the paragraph doesn't outline every possible way to use the optional rule and how to work around the optional rule. The writers have to worry about word count; if we even bothered to include all that stuff, it'd likely be cut anyway. Usually there's a certain level of GM freedom and common sense assumed.

So you're right, it's not all explicitly explained in that paragraph. As a GM, if you need it explicitly explained for you, you can always choose to ignore it. It's an optional rule. Hell, even if it weren't an optional rule, you could ignore it in your game anyway, if you really wanted to. Or you could work a little of your GM freedom into it and apply it how you think it would work well in your game. Rules, when written in a tabletop roleplaying game, are little more than guidelines for a gamemaster. It's not like FanPro comes to your house and enforces them.

Also, keep in mind that the Ways are not just the little categories in SOTA64. Those are example divisions of philosophy, not categorical choices. Just because you say you're a member of the Speaker's Way, that's not the whole story. What is the character's philosophy? That is the important part. If his philosophy is largely pascificist, and he takes up Killing Hands, it doesn't matter if you explain it off with another philosophy that compares conversation to combat. That's not the character's philosophy.

Now, in my personal view, a character can change their philosophy. But it's not easy. They've trained their body and attuned to their magic to a certain philosophical framework for years, you don't just flip a switch overnight. It takes time to adapt, and during that time the adept is going to be penalized because they have uprooted their own belief system and haven't quite adapted to a new one. If a GM wanted to be a hardass, he could say they never quite will adapt; that once your magic is attuned to a specific philosophy, like the shaman who is called to his Totem, there is no other path for you.

The optional rule, as it's written, seems pretty open and ambivalent about that. It just doesn't cover it. It's a GM perogative at this point. In many cases, the writers don't consider GM perogative bad words. wink.gif
Cochise
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
You're arguing a lot of semantics now, which I'm just not going to get into, because I think it's silly.

I don't consider that arguing "semantics". I'm talking concepts and rules here.

So you're right, it's not all explicitly explained in that paragraph.  As a GM, if you need it explicitly explained for you, you can always choose to ignore it.  It's an optional rule.

As I previously said to Synner: The word "optional" in this regard is of no concern to me, when it comes to discussing the concept.
Especially when Synner said that he originally wanted it to be as non-optinal rule.

Hell, even if it weren't an optional rule, you could ignore it in your game anyway, if you really wanted to.

Just great. Sorry DE, I just said that we can fall back to the "change whatever you dislike" option. But that's not my favourite way of dealing with things like that, when discussing the rules as written.

Or you could work a little of your GM freedom into it and apply it how you think it would work well in your game.  Rules, when written in a tabletop roleplaying game, are little more than guidelines for a gamemaster.  It's not like FanPro comes to your house and enforces them.

And now you're completely "off". I'm not talking about a non-existant Roleplaying Police. I'm talking about what we as players all have in common: Those rules as written.

Also, keep in mind that the Ways are not just the little categories in SOTA64.  Those are example divisions of philosophy, not categorical choices.  Just because you say you're a member of the Speaker's Way, that's not the whole story.  What is the character's philosophy?  That is the important part.  If his philosophy is largely pascificist, and he takes up Killing Hands, it doesn't matter if you explain it off with another philosophy that compares conversation to combat.  That's not the character's philosophy.

I'm not going to explain that point again. Sorry. Philosophy is nothing "fixed" either.

Now, in my personal view, a character can change their philosophy.  But it's not easy.  They've trained their body and attuned to their magic to a certain philosophical framework for years, you don't just flip a switch overnight.

You see, I'm still not talking about what it takes to actually alter an individual philosophy (since that would be just as individual as the Ways themselves), I'm still talking about that tiny bit of mechanic that is involved and of course the fact that such freedom that even you consider as existant to a certain extend contradicts the concept of that rule.
I somehow get the feeling that regardless of what I say, people just don't actually understand what I'm saying, because they constantly keep going to points that I'm not even remotely touching.

It takes time to adapt, and during that time the adept is going to be penalized because they have uprooted their own belief system and haven't quite adapted to a new one.  If a GM wanted to be a hardass, he could say they never quite will adapt; that once your magic is attuned to a specific philosophy, like the shaman who is called to his Totem, there is no other path for you.

The penalty of 25% is rule wise permanent, regardless of any of those assumptions. And that's all I'm talking about.

The optional rule, as it's written, seems pretty open and ambivalent about that. It just doesn't cover it.

I cannot see any ambivalence concerning that 25% cost increase.

It's a GM perogative at this point.  In many cases, the writers don't consider GM perogative bad words.  wink.gif

So it's bad that I as a user and GM (of several groups) use the opportunity to question certain points when having the chance to voice my opinion in a discussion that involves people that actually do the writing?
Kagetenshi
Demonseed, I get the feeling you two are talking about different things with permanence. Cochise is talking about the fact that you never get back the power points you spent on the out-of-Way power, even if it is your Way or becomes it. I think you're interpreting it as him stating that all powers cost 25% more thereafter.

Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting it.

~J
Demonseed Elite
Bad? No. Is it going to get anywhere? Probably not. Sorry. Don't know what else to tell ya there.

When it comes down to it, it is an optional rule, regardless of what Synner might have intended for it. He's a writer, but Rob makes those calls. And Rob apparently decided he wanted it optional right now. So it is. And Rob likely didn't want to spend too much word count defining all the possibilities of an optional rule. From my experience, the writers are usually over word count on damn near everything (myself included), and Rob's busy looking for things to cut. Hell, a lot of that stuff is cut on non-optional rules. It's figured the GM can make calls on that stuff, it doesn't need to fight for word count.

We clearly disagree on the idea of adepts and their philosophical frameworks, and how strict those are in terms of the adept's use of magic. You see them as more flexible, I do not. And the rules are likely left vague for exactly that reason. Maybe something like that would be cleared up and fixed in an SR4 main book, but I don't really think FanPro wants to crack down on fundamental adept rulings like that in a SOTA sourcebook. It's too messy there.

You also see the 25% power cost increase as permenant, even though the word permenant is never used in the paragraph. I do not see it that way. Again, the rules are likely left deliberately vague, because to get specific there (and even to make the rule non-optional there) fundamentally changes the way adepts work in a SOTA sourcebook, which is not something most gaming companies like to do.
Demonseed Elite
Demonseed, I get the feeling you two are talking about different things with permanence. Cochise is talking about the fact that you never get back the power points you spent on the out-of-Way power, even if it is your Way or becomes it.

But why not? Really, the rules don't say. It doesn't say he'll never get those power points back. It doesn't say whether or not an adept can change his Way. It just leaves that up to the GM. You're assuming that he can't get those power points back. Which is okay for you if that's the way you wanna run it. I'm not making that assumption. The paragraph there really doesn't say one way or the other.
mfb
cochise, you still don't seem to grasp what's meant when it talks about the ways being flexible. the ways are flexible and open to interpretation; 'way of the warrior' might mean one thing to one adept, and something slightly different to another. the adepts themselves are not flexible in their individual views of a given way--once an adept decides on a way, and decides on his interpretation of that way, he can't change it--and it never says, anywhere in SOTA:64, that an adept should be able to change his way. the ways are flexible; adepts, if you use the optional rule, are not.
Cochise
QUOTE (mfb)
cochise, you still don't seem to grasp what's meant when it talks about the ways being flexible.

I for one would suggest that you don't imply lack of understanding on my behalf ... wink.gif

the ways are flexible and open to interpretation; 'way of the warrior' might mean one thing to one adept, and something slightly different to another.

... because this is more or less irrelevant for the point I'm constantly trying to make.

the adepts themselves are not flexible in their individual views of a given way--once an adept decides on a way, and decides on his interpretation of that way, he can't change it--and it never says, anywhere in SOTA:64, that an adept should be able to change his way.

See, it's players not "adepts" who make initial choices on how their character perceives his magic. Ingame it's the Adept's ingame choices and how the Adept was brought up that lead to a certain mindsets (some more rigid, while others are more flexible). And these mindsets are what determine the "Way".
New decissions and experiecnes constantly question and possibly alter this seemingly "fixed" mindset, as with any other living being.
That's why I'm not against the part about (temporal) loss of powers, if changes are too drastic. People that suffer such severe experiences become patients of psychiatrists on a regular basis. However that's a good anchor for becoming insane and thus a toxic version of an Adept ...

the ways are flexible; adepts, if you use the optional rule, are not.

And that's what I'm arguing against. It's the concept I'm questioning ... But you seem to miss that ...
mfb
no, i'm not missing it, and neither is anybody else. we just disagree with you on the point of whether or not that should be possible. you're trying to claim that "flexible ways" means that the adept should be able to change his mind about his way halfway through his life, and then complaining because the rules don't support that. but the rules were never meant to support that, and they never claim to. you've come up with a houserule for ways that suits the way you want adepts to work, and now you're arguing that the rules are broken because they don't back you up.

QUOTE (Cochise)

I for one would suggest that you don't imply lack of understanding on my behalf...

i didn't imply anything--i said it outright, hints and implications not being what i do best. your posts showed a clear disparity between what the book says and what you seemed to think it says.
Crimson Jack
The fine print in the book clearly states that mfb is always right. biggrin.gif
mfb
maybe in your book, it's fine print. in mine, it's printed in flaming ten-foot letters on the cover. yours obviously lacks the latest errata !!
Crimson Jack
You deface your books with your vanity? Tsk.
Synner
I'm going to try this one more time. I'm going to try to clarify what was meant by the concept of "Ways" in SOTA64.

A Way is more than a philosophy of life and slightly less than a magical tradition. It is an inner ideal, it is part of the adept's spiritual/mental self-image, almost a vocation. It is in no small part subconscious and it defines him as much as he defines it. It is something he continuously strives for even if sometimes he isn't even aware of it, a template for self-improvement. An adept does not wake up one day and decide to follow a Way or change his Way. That Way is an integral part of what he is only more so because magic takes that core ideal and translates it to his physical abilities.

Are there adepts who don't have a Way, who lack this fundamental ideal to strive for? Of course, many people (especially these days) lack that core drive towards "something", self-realization, or simply don't know where their "vocation" lies. In these people, magic isn't channeled by anything other than random need and desire... which in the accepted metaparadigm of the Sixth World means it is less focused and effective (and hence, in game terms, more expensive) - strictly speaking these are the "Lost adepts".

As mfb and others have correctly interpreted, Ways are only flexible in the sense that each individual adept has his own (when we refer to adepts of the Way of the Warrior we are actually referring to hundreds of different individual variations on that Way). There is no correct approach to a Way, there are cat burglars and ninjas in the Invisible Way (their powersets and development is entirely different), there are kickboxers in the Athlete's Way (because their focus is to excel physically to be the best they can be, rather than a being a born-scrapper).

However, once an adept sets down a Way (note - normally long before the character ever begins play) changing it, means having a not-inconsequential revelation or epiphany, a traumatic change of heart—something that changes not his outward philosophy and posture towards life, but rather the way he fundamentally sees himself. It is not something that happens overnight. It should be almost akin to someone discovering a religious calling, losing his faith, or undergoing a radical shift in personality or having a breakdown.

Is this restrictive? Yes, it's one of the limitations adepts - their somatic development is limited (and focused) by their own idealized (or in the case of Twisters negative) subconcious self-image which serves as a lens for his magical expression.

So what about an adept who undergoes a small change of heart? It was decided the "Lost adept" rule should be kept optional and open to interpretation, so that individual GMs (those who wish to adopt it in the first place) and players could judge where best to draw the line in their own games... and judge when such a mental shift is indeed justified and eventually complete, and consequently when the +25% modifier is no longer necessary since this means conditioning the modifier to roleplaying rather than a strict rule set.

BTW - I mentioned Grimoires and Awakening only as a reference to how far back this element exists (and has been mostly ignored). Obviously, I left unsaid that Magic in the Shadows covers exactly the same material for SR3.

BTW2 - The "testemonies" I was referring to were the ones provided by the various adept characters in SOTA64. There was a similar analysis (albeit from an outsider's standpoint) provided by Johnny Zen in Awakenings but we opted to use individuals who live these Ways (including a few off-beat approaches to Ways) to give some insight into the diversity within Ways.
Critias
Fundamentally, there's two ways (pardon the pun) to imagine a Way being "flexible."

The first way is to imagine the flexibility as the ability to change from Way to Way, outright. Someone could start out on the Way of the Athlete, play just a little too much football, and change to Way of the Warrior (in order to justify Killing Hands, or whatnot, to his facist GM who demands extra power points, if the change is not explained sufficiently). And then, later, that Warrior gets a few nice gigs doing commercials, and wants to change to Way of the Speaker, to toss in some bonus powers and really boost those ratings and profits. The character has a reason to change Ways each time, the Ways are changed, the Ways are, as such, "flexible."

I think that's wrong.

I beleive the "flexibility" inherent in the Ways is that, fundamentally, each Way is wholly unique to each character. If I explained to the GM from the get-go that my Athlete saw football as a defining characteristic of his life, and saw anything done directly to increase either his ability as a football player or his profitiability as a football player (coming to this decision through character soul-searching via the twenty questions stuff, examining his goals, etc)? Then the GM should be just fine with me taking any Adept power that will directly influence football playing ability. While still staying steadily true to the ideal of the Way of the Athlete, my character can easily justify not only IA: Athletics or Sprint or Great Leap or whatever, but also (potentially) things that would be seen as more combat oriented, like Combat Sense (for wiggling past tackles), Rooting (for linebackers and the sort), Improved Physical Attribute(s), or even Improved Reflexes or Improved Ability: Thrown Weapons, or Mystic Armor.

Those are things that would normally be seen as under the Path of Warriors, but could very easily be explained away as all sorts of crap that'd be handy to have on the football field, right?

That's the flexibility of a Way, to me.

Between you and your GM -- that's right, communication, not competition -- you work out the details of your Way. Don't try to take on "Way of the Warrior," in it's entirety, and define what that Way entails for the entire game world, and every Adept in it. Take on your Way of the Warrior, and describe how your character sees it, thinks about it, and walks it. Justify powers with logic on your side, rationalize it with your interpretation of Way of the _________, and game on.

If your GM doesn't find the rationalization to fit when held up beside the Way of _______ you first talked to him about, then suck it up and (if he's even using this rule), pay the extra 25%. Then game on, anyways, and maybe try to explain it to him in better detail next session.

The powers aren't categorized. There's no sub-sections of the chapters dedicated to listing Adept abilities, that say which ones go with which Way. Likewise, there was no list in the chapter describing the Ways themselves, stating which powers were available to characters here or there or anywhere. The only information we have on Ways is first-person narratives, describing how some character sees the Way -- if that's not a freakin' hint that the whole damned idea is supposed to be personalized to each character that it impacts, I don't know what is.
Glyph
I think the whole concept of adept "ways" is pointless and overly-restrictive. Adepts have a limited selection of powers to begin with; now they would be penalized for doing anything that breaks them out of a stereotypical role.

To me, that's giving the GM too much ability to micromanage your character. It's like having a shaman having to justify every new spell he learns that doesn't "fit" his Totem (and by the way, I prefer vague, archetypical totems to anything that turns a shaman into a D&D cleric, with fussy rules to follow, replacing the previous broad guidelines).

I don't see anything good about using the ways as more than a general guideline. Either players will have their creativity stifled by being stuck with a certain role (hunter, warrior, athlete, etc.), or they will come up with a "way" that is so general that they could justify any power.

Now me, I follow the Shadowrunner's Way smile.gif
Deacon
I like the idea of Ways, but personally I don't think there's enough of them. We've seen only less than a dozen; I'm sure there could be more, lots more.

I also would prefer giving adepts a discount on powers when sticking to a Way, rather than increasing the cost of powers purchased outside that Way. A friend of mine (Hi Todd, if you're out there) once came up with the idea of adept 'package deals' for following traditional Totems; they idea was that the adept picks a Totem (like Snake or Dog or Chipmunk) and pays 3-5 points of his beginning Power Points into that Totem. He then gets a return of 4-7 points of powers from that Totem's list, and still has his remaining 1-3 points of Power left for some customization.

This was in the days of SR2, when adepts really sucked, compared to what they are now. But, I don't see why something similar could be used, with moderation, for adepts now. We just have to define enough Ways to give people a choice in what they want to be -- and allow enough space for customization, so we don't have cookie-cutter adepts.

(To any of you wondering why I'm espousing giving the adepts more power, when I stated at the beginning of the thread that adepts were 'pooching' the mundanes... adept powers like Improved Ability and Iron Gut don't pooch mundanes. It's when you get into the non-duplicatable powers -- Counterstrike, Cool Resolve, Kinesics -- that they start making it a clear choice whether or not to play an adept or a mundane. But as I've stated before, the mundane's forte is versatility -- this idea only helps the adept try to match the mundane in that area, but really isn't going to keep him up for very long.)

Note to Synner: Kinesics to counter negative penalties to Social Tests seems to work really well. And berserker Way of the Speaker adepts are fun. (I convinced the player to take the Geas 'Must be drunk' on his Kinesics and IA: Negotiations. He's a stuffed-shirt when sober, but the life of the party when plastered. talker.gif )
Synner
Deacon - Good to see its working with just a minor tweak. As I said before I'm not a fan of the potential combined effects of IA: Negotiation and Kinesics but it wasn't my call. The berserker Speaker sounds like fun.

QUOTE (Cochise)
See, it's players not "adepts" who make initial choices on how their character perceives his magic.

Actually, you're only half-right. Players are the ones making the initial decisions on an adept character's Way but that reflects something the character himself has been following and honing himself towards for years (before the beginning of play)...

Ingame it's the Adept's ingame choices and how the Adept was brought up that lead to a certain mindsets (some more rigid, while others are more flexible). And these mindsets are what determine the "Way".

Only partially, as I've explained above. A mindset describes a person's conscious outlook on life and the world, it is something that can ultimately be changed with a some work. Your self-image (and hence your Way) is both conscious and subconscious, it is normally beyond your control and to change it you often have to undergo a traumatic or lifechanging event or realization. It is an integral part of who you are at the most basic level (and psychologists/psychiatrists will tell you it is the hardest thing to change in a person and charge big nuyen to help you with it over the next few years...).

This is why the major Ways are so archetypical - Artist/Creator, Warrior/Fighter, Speaker/Extrovert, Athlete/Physical prodigy, Savant/Mental prodigy - they are similar to Jungian archetypes.

If you think about it, the whole "subconscious archetypical self-image" explains how magic is focused and adepts might express abilities even when they are unaware they have the Gift -this is mentioned as being particularly common among Athletes-, it all happens without a conscious decision. The innate magical ability directed by that idealized self-image manifests as a spontaneous power... If adept abilities were only governed by conscious will and control this would be impossible.

New decissions and experiecnes constantly question and possibly alter this seemingly "fixed" mindset, as with any other living being.

People have been for what are the limits to adepthood? Well, this is one. While your Way/Inner focuses your magic expression it also reinforces your self-image, making truly deep philosophical changes (as opposed to minor tweaks) affecting your self-perception that much harder. Adept specialization was always built into the Way system and the system reinforces it.

Yes, there are ways (pun intended) around this. Yes, you can sell your GM on the Way of the Pragmatist, or the Way of the Shadowrunner or whatever. It's up to your group to set the limits, and even then you're still going to have to outline what your character's ideal Pragmatist or ideal Shadowrunner is, and then live with it when further down the line when you want to pick up Killing Hands or Smashing Blow, your GM brings up the fact that you defined it was a "super-stealthy, never-leaves-traces, always-avoids-fights style runner".

For those of you who are having problems with the "amount of power" this places on GMs remember:
- You as a player make the choices.
- The GM is there to make playing the game fun.
- The GM is also there to make the game challenging.

Note, however, that even if you're using the "Lost Adept" rule, no power is out of bounds. Any adept can develop any power, if he puts his will to it. Some powers are just harder to develop because they don't align with the innate Way/self-image which normally drives his development.

That's why I'm not against the part about (temporal) loss of powers, if changes are too drastic. People that suffer such severe experiences become patients of psychiatrists on a regular basis. However that's a good anchor for becoming insane and thus a toxic version of an Adept ...

That's correct, that's the path of the Twisted and there's a comment or two to that effect in the fiction.

As someone said above the fiction is meant to complement and where possible clarify the rules in a game world context, and vice versa. Material should be read in context. The fiction is definitely not there as fluff.

Finally, and going back to one of Cochise's questions... stacking powers and cyber. Should it have been addressed? Possibly. Is it unbalancing? Not sure and I'm inclinde not to think so. This is sort of like the Troll with twin-dikoted cyberspurs, STR32 and BOD28, 4D6 initiative and packing 12/12 armor- is it possible within the current rules? Yes. Is it going to be a problem in 90% of SR games? No. It's up to your group and your GM to decide what's acceptable around your table and what isn't.

During playtesting I found people (with rare exceptions) chose the magical solution or the cyber one. Those few who didn't were obviously designing specialist adepts and chosing to stack have the problem of Gaesa. In my game I control adept gaesa for strictly (no pinky ring talismans), but that's just me, other groups have other control methods.
DrJest
During playtesting I found people (with rare exceptions) chose the magical solution or the cyber one

See, this is something I have also experienced. Bearing in mind that I played SR from the very beginning of version 1, it wasn't until I came here that I saw a cybered phyasd. It just didn't happen. My players - and myself - seemed to have mental blinkers on that discounted the combination of cyber and magic. It just didn't happen.
toturi
Actually, the very first PC I made when I was just starting SR was an adept but I told my GM that my PC would be taking some cyber and bio. Some players cut themselves off from the cyber/bio route with Bio Rejection or Sensitive System, I do not see the munchkinism of that precisely because of the synergy that a PC would get from magic and cyber/bio.
Crimsondude 2.0
You know what I like about playing online? That I can't just roll a handful of dice and suggest an action like, "I talk the secguard's pants off." I actually have to write. And while I'm not the world's greatest writer, I am perfectly willing to have my social adept because I can write this:

"Yeah, but there are like a half-dozen other people who aren't shift supervisors. I mean, really, no one volunteers for this," Bill says. He slows down, and drops alongside Samantha before resuming. "What, did you piss somebody off? Is this because of what happened after Christmas?"

Samantha continues at her current pace down the path as they leave the main path towards the entrance of Gates Hall when Bill makes his comment. Without saying anything, she looks over at the ork, and makes eye contact while she allows a wicked smile to appear just long enough for it to sink into Bill's brain.

Bill wondered whether he should have asked that question after he asked it, and realized it was a bold statement on one hand, but on the other it was a perfectly legitimate question. Everyone knew about what happened, and everyone talked even though no one ever said anything. Everyone talked except for the people who worked for her. Perhaps it was out of loyalty, or respect, or fear. Her professional reputation proceeded her from Washington, but her nickname was earned within a week of coming to Seattle. It was understood in a way, but in another way people wondered how she got so far so fast--11 years was the minimum amount of time required to become a supervising agent--without ever having served on a PD.

But when he looked at her, and she looked back he realized that it was the wrong thing to ask. He felt as if she was burning his soul from behind the shades. He knew they were moving the entire time, but in that brief instant, he recognized something... else. He was drawn into her very being, and felt a great sense of pain and loss and frailty coming from her. It was something that radiated from her, from the scar he never noticed until she looked at him--the jagged, faded slash along her jawline that he knew didn't come from some accident. It was radiating from her face and the feeling he got that he may as well have stabbed her in the heart from the expression on her face, which moved from pain to anger. But then all in that same instant, a calm came over her face and, well, aura, for lack of a better word. And within the ork, a calm sense of understanding came over him.

And like that... they looked away, and entered the building.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012