Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Idiot's Guide To The Matrix Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
cleggster

I have a question. Is there no way to deceive Probe IC? Fake a password and the Probe wont monitor you. I can't remember anything saying the Probe is immune to it. I think all White ice is deceivable.

Kurukami
A few small things I thought we might clear up...

First, can Black IC inflict physical overdamage if it gets a sufficient number of successes? If not, then any decker could just have a trauma damper installed and manage to survive at least one nasty hit...

Second, have we settled on whether or not an attack program is a "weapon" or not? From the look of things with the rest of the offensive programs, it's fairly clear that the standard Matrix operational utility schtick of "Security rating minus particular program equals TN" doesn't apply. Without that detail, and with this passage on p. 226 of the SR3 main book...

To make an attack, the attacker makes a test with his offensive utility program.  (Hacking Pool dice may be used to augment the program.)  The target number for the test depends on the target icon's status -- Legitimate or Intruding -- and the Security Code of the host where the attack occurs.

... it seems fairly obvious that Computer skill has nothing to do with the viral attack program you're trying to hit your opponent with.
hobgoblin
kurukami, your just asking for a flamewar smile.gif

edit: way to harsh the first one so here is a new...

anyways, why should they suddenly change everything we know about combat just for the matrix? any other attack in sr is a test of skill vs targetnumber that scales the effect of the weapon. i read nothing in that text that anything have changed as the first thing that pops to mind when i read the word test is skill vs targetnumber...

allso, never try to read the SR rules directly, they have a bad habbit of not being a duck even tho they both walk and quack like one...
Synner
What hobgoblin means, and if you check back to the example, is that we've more or less decided it works like a weapon. There could just as easily be the opposite interpretation given the way the rules are written but this one at least stays to true to the general mechanic of "you roll Computer and the Utility facilitates the action" rather than the Utility does something by itself.

The only thing I can think off that apparently openly contradicts this interpretation is the fact that Dumb Frames can use Attack...

Until someone mails FanPro and this gets an errata it's mostly up to the player and his GM to sort it out before the game begins and stick to that interpretation.
DigitalMage
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
anyways, why should they suddenly change everything we know about combat just for the matrix?

Well, they alredy have changed a lot about Combat specifically for the Matrix - e.g. only a Simple action is required, Parry is a Simple action you can do in preparation for an imminent attack etc.

I do believe the rules were written so that you roll your Attack prog rating, not skill. I am not however saying I agree with this, I would have preferred it if the designers had kept cybercombat much more in line with regular combat to ease the learning curve - i.e. Complex action to attack, roll Computer Skill plus Hacking Pool, target may counter / dodge with Computer Skill and Hacking Pool or just Hacking Pool (depending upon whether you model cybercombat after Melee or Ranged combat).

Oh well, unless they do a major errata which would more correctly be a revision, I think it will stay as is. The closest we may get is a FAQ answer clarifying what was menat by the original wording.
Synner
QUOTE (DigitalMage @ Aug 28 2003, 09:21 AM)
Well, they alredy have changed a lot about Combat specifically for the Matrix - e.g. only a Simple action is required, Parry is a Simple action you can do in preparation for an imminent attack etc.

Note this is not really a change since it is a close parallel to Ranged Combat rules for attacks and dodges.

The solution of course, at least until an errata or clarification comes down from FanPro, is for individual decker players to decide with their individual GMs before the game starts.

As far as I'm concerned I will continue to use my interpretation of the rules in further examples on this thread, but I'll make sure I specify that it is an interpretation and subject to discussion. Same for the Damage Resistance Staging.

Now back to our regular broadcast...

I think we've gone over most of the major points regarding the decker in the previous run, so would anyone be interested in posting a decker for the Overwatch run? The target will be a small Yamatetsu reseach facility hidden away in Snohomish Seattle.
hobgoblin
whats your problem with packing a attack util into a dumb frame synner? the util uses its pilot rating in place of skill anyways, its just like stacking a weapon onto the drone...

as for combat requering a complex action, i dont think so. i read it as ranged combat, and the parry attack as basicly setting up the logics so that its harder to hit home with the code...
Synner
hobgoblin - the problem is dumb frames don't have Pilot Ratings only smart frames and agents do...
Kurukami
QUOTE (DigitalMage)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 28 2003, 08:30 AM)
anyways, why should they suddenly change everything we know about combat just for the matrix?

Complex action to attack, roll Computer Skill plus Hacking Pool, target may counter / dodge with Computer Skill and Hacking Pool or just Hacking Pool (depending upon whether you model cybercombat after Melee or Ranged combat).

You can already sort of accomplish this within the existing Matrix rules. Annoyingly, though, it's not something that's in the main rules. Check out p. 122 in Matrix, under "Improvised Combat"...
Improvised Defense
A character can create an ad hoc defense against an attack in cybercombat by blocking certain code paths, redirecting code, and employing other tricks.  To improvise a defense, a character under attack may roll Hacking Pool dice (up to her Computer skill) against a TN equal to half the attacker's Computer skill or Security Value (round up).  Reduce the attacker's successes by the number of successes achieved on the defender's test.  If the attacker's net successes are 0 or less, the attack is completely blocked.

But as for "changing everything we know"... the combat mechanic, or at least the way that damage is inflicted, varies massively throughout the system anyways.

For example, with Combat spells, you either resist the spell entirely or you take the full (or more!) damage. You can't stage down that Deadly manabolt -- you can only completely resist it, which means that pretty much any non-mage will get toasted rolling their (perhaps) 6 Willpower dice and trying to get more successes than the mage with their Sorcery and Spell Pool. But I digress.

My point is that the mechanic seems to vary throughout the SR system.
Kurukami
So, how about another example run? Shall we keep the old man with the cane as our sample decker?
Synner
Another decker with a different Persona might be nice so we can explore different 'looks' for Utilities too.
Gorath
[...]
Kurukami
I've got a somewhat experienced decker that I've been using in a recent campaign. She's got a bit of Karma, and she's done some programming on her own. So, without further ado, I present to you Lady Cheng.

Race: Ork.
Body 7; Quickness 4; Strength 4; Charisma 3; Intelligence 6 (+2) (from cerebral booster); Willpower 6.
Cyberware: Math SPU 3, datajack, microscopic vision.
Bioware: cerebral booster 2, mnemonic enhancer 3, trauma damper, enhanced articulation.
Edges: cracker (Control tests), bonus attribute pt (Int).
Skills: Computer 6 (Decking 7)*, Computer B/R 4(+1)*, Electronics 5, Electronics B/R 3(+1)*, etiquette (Matrix) 4.
Knowledge skills:^* data archive familiarity 3, cyberterminal design 2, operational utility design 3, defensive utility design 2, programming suite design 3, offensive utility design 2, cyberterminal code design 3, special utility design 1, data brokerage 4.

* indicates skills that can take advantage of the Task Pool
^ indicates skills that gain 1 pt from the mnemonic enhancer

Hacking Pool: 8 (5 + Math SPU (3))
Initiative: 14+4d6 (Int 8, and including Response Increase 2, pure DNI, and hot ASIST)
Cyberdeck: Renraku Kraftwerk-1: MPCP 8, Bod 5, Evasion 6, Masking 8, Sensors 5. Response increase-2, hardening 4, I/O 360, active memory 1350 (upgraded from 1000 base), storage memory 3000 (upgraded from 2000 base).
Utilities in active memory: sleaze-5 (75 Mp), armor-4 (48 Mp), deception-6 (72 Mp), cloak-5 (75 Mp), decrypt-6 (72 Mp), relocate-6 (72), camo-4 (48 Mp), analyze-6 w/ sneak-2 (300 Mp), browse-6 w/ sneak-2 (100 Mp), evaluate-4 (32 Mp), read/write-6 (72 Mp), defuse-6 (72 Mp), scanner-4 (48 Mp), lock-on 3 (27 Mp), erosion-6 (blinder) w/ targetting (192 Mp), attack-6D w/ one-shot (45 Mp).
- Total active memory used: 1344 Mp.
In storage memory: all active utilities, plus validate-6 (144 Mp), commlink-6 (36 Mp), spoof-3 (27 Mp), attack-6S (144 Mp), medic-5 (100 Mp), purge-6 (72 Mp), sniffer-3 (27 Mp).
- Total storage memory used: 1894 Mp.
- Available storage space: 1106 Mp.
Effective detection factor: (in masking mode) 9, +2 while using analyze or browse.

Note: as having program options tends to modify only the size of a program and its cost, not its availability, all programs are effectively within the ratings which can be obtained by a starting decker.

Persona appearance: an Asiatic female pirate with a devil-may care smile, clad in tunic, breeches, and boots, with a silk scarf holding back her hair and a naval greatcoat shrouding her shoulders. What looks like the grip of a wheel-lock pistol sticks out of the sash she uses for a belt.
Shockwave_IIc
Maybe this is irrealvent or just fluff getting in the way but i remember reading in target matrix about a decker (the one who hates Otaku, and use's snot for his programs) getting jumped by a guy with real highend prog's but not knowing what to do with them.

Now if i understand correctly that seems (to me at least) to sugest that it's the deckers skill that gets things done not the hard ware just like with sammies.

ie unless yor going up against harden targets any pistol in the hands of a good enough user will nail the target. Just like the story in target matrix say's

[EDIT] just remembered his name Slamm-o!!
hobgoblin
hey synner, about that packing a attack util into the dumb frame (wonder why it slipped bast me that dumb frames dont have pilot ratings) i see your point now. why anyone would use a dumb frame anyways is beyond me with that reread as the only thing that they are useful for are decoys smile.gif

if it enabled the decker to use a free action to trigger the utility in there then i may understand but as it takes a simple action anyways to attack i give up trying to reason the idea. hmm, it does protect the weapon (kinda) from tar IC tho as i dont think tar can eat utils packed into a frame (can it eat a frame?)...
Synner
Kurukumi - looks good except I'd prefer it if you stick with the beginning decker's Rating 6 / Availability 8 cap (exception made for the Kraftwerk). This will make it easier for any Matrix novices reading this to compare with their own characters. (Just edit the character rather than reposting).
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Synner)
Kurukumi - looks good except I'd prefer it if you stick with the beginning decker's Rating 6 / Availability 8 cap (exception made for the Kraftwerk). This will make it easier for any Matrix novices reading this to compare with their own characters. (Just edit the character rather than reposting).

I'd kind of like to see it done with the CMT-Avatar since that's the worst case scenario for starting allowances (and one I've been under before). Having that nice low detection factor should make things more interesting, at least (DF 8, I think, in masking mode).

Of course, I'd love to see it done with a starting Otaku, too.
Kurukami
QUOTE (Synner)

OK, editting now... I presume the skills, bioware, and whatnot are OK other than toning the deck down?
Synner
Use the same restrictions Rating 6 / Availability 8, please.
Kurukami
Not a problem. I just checked M&M, and all of them fall into the appropriate range.

... and I've now updated and annotated the original post. smile.gif
satcong
When are you guys planning on getting this run underway coz I am looking forward to seeing some stuff....
Synner
I've got a busy weekend planned so I expect I can kick off hostilities on Monday.
Kurukami
*busily overclocks his cyberdeck so as to kick major IC boo-tay come Monday* cool.gif
Kurukami
*bump so that when Synner comes back on Monday the thread won't be buried on page 3*
Orient
If I could throw a question out to you guys...

Does anyone have any good ideas for handling program allocation between Active Memory and Storage? Standard method seems to be a list of utilities with the player putting checks next to the ones that are in Active Memory. Doing math on the fly can be a real mood breaker...

Any suggestions, anyone?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Orient)
Does anyone have any good ideas for handling program allocation between Active Memory and Storage?

This shouldn't be a big issue. If a decker has to change programs mid-run, then he's seriously messed up somewhere along the line. If he does need to change up for an unusual situation (needing to load Purge or Defuse, for instance), then a simple running tally should be sufficient. 90% of runs will probably be done with the same or similiar payloads.
Kurukami
True enough. I tend to set up with a "standard" set of programs, with some checked ahead of time as "non-vital". Stuff like Defuse, or Evaluate, or Validate, or the like. I mark each program with its Mp size, including those that I have in my Storage. Swapping out is a pretty simple matter, since I've done some groundwork ahead of time and know what can come in and what can go out.

For example, I typically have two different Attack programs loaded in storage memory for Lady Cheng. One's a single-shot Attack-D program (icon'd by a old-fashioned wheel-lock duelling pistol), which I use under the theory that I'm usually high-DF enough that I won't get noticed. Additionally, the single-shot option makes it small enough that I can reload the program without too much trouble. That one I keep in active memory. The other is a Attack-S program with Area (icon'd by a cutlass that she uses in sweeping attacks to strike more than one opponent at once), which I'll pull out (after a quick Evade Detection and Swap Memory) if I'm getting swarmed. Of course, I'll often have to drop some Operational Utility to do so, but when getting swarmed lowering my target number on removing a worm from a file usually isn't my first concern.
Kurukami
Synner? You planning the specifics of the Matrix overwatch still?
Synner
Finished with that, but since DSF was down most of yesterday I decided to wait.

Matrix Overwatch Walkthrough
To start off I need to know how/where you're going to be jacking in and what type of jackpoint you'll be using. Note that though the research facility is in Snohomish, you'll have to hack it through the Yamatetsu PLTG since it isn't linked directly to the open net.
Kurukami
OK. Let's see... well, I'd probably go in through the Tukwila LTG having found a nice spot to set up my illegal high-speed jackpoint with my rating-8 dataline tap. I'd run a Redirect Datatrail op on the LTG, then Logon to the Seattle RTG (Green-5/6/9/6/6/6), where I'd do the same. (No harm in covering my tracks as well as I can, particularly with my DF high enough to help prevent the LTG or RTG from adding to my security tally.)

First, of course, is setting up the jackpoint. (I'm unable to find any details on TNs for setting up an illegal jackpoint in either SR3 or Matrix, so I'm presuming that it's a TN 4 Electronics B/R test.) Her B/R skill is 3 (+1 due to enhanced articulation), which adding in Task Pool (from the cerebral booster) gives me five dice to roll -- resulting in 10, 5, 5, 2, 1. Three successes should be more than enough to get me rolling in fairly short order.

Next, I perform a Logon to LTG operation to get onto the Tukwila LTG. It, like the Seattle RTG, will probably have a Green-5 Security Rating, with Access 6, Control 9, Index 6, Files 6, Slave 6. I prep my Deception-6 program and roll my Decking (7) against a TN of (6 - 6, minimum 2) 2 without bothering to use Hacking Pool for something this basic. -- 16, 11, 5, 5, 2, 2, 1. Six successes.

I then Redirect Datatrail on the local grid to confuse any Trace programs that may decide to come after me while I'm sitting in the target host. This one'll be tougher -- my Camo-4 program against the grid's Control value of 9 gives me a TN of 5. I roll 4 of my 8 Hacking Pool dice along with the 7 dice of Decking I have, and get 11, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1 -- squeaking in with two successes. Both of them came from the extra Hacking Pool dice, so spending them was well worth it. What effect does this have? Since I performed the operation successfully (and it's something you can do on each particular grid you logon to), the TN for Trace IC or a Track utility to hit me in cybercombat is increased by 1.

After camoflauging my trail, I Logon to RTG to get to the Seattle regional telecom grid. No Hacking Pool dice this time, just a straight Decking roll against TN 2 -- and 11, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 1 gets me onto the RTG easily. I perform my Redirect Datatrail on the Seattle RTG, again with 4 Hacking Pool dice and against a TN of 5, and this time do substantially better than on the Tukwila LTG -- 11, 7, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1 -- with four successes. Of course, all you need is a single success, but hey, I did it with flair -- and the second successful Redirect Datatrail again raises my TN if I confront Trace IC. biggrin.gif

I'd have done a bit of research ahead of time -- tracking down the Yamatetsu PLTG's address, for one thing -- which would allow me to go straight there and attempt to sneak in with a Logon to PLTG. (This presumes, of course, that the Yamatetsu PLTG is connected to the Seattle RTG -- which isn't unreasonable, since Yamatetsu does have a branch in the Seattle metroplex.)

I Logon to Host and enter the Yamatetsu PLTG.

And, of course, I'm in Masking mode -- which moves my Masking from 8 to 12 and decreases my Bod from 5 to 3, and makes my DF (12 + 5, divided by 2, rounding up) 9.
Synner
Kurukami - As this is meant as walkthrough aid for anyone unfamiliar with the Tests involved please try to identify System Operation Tests with italics and try to descriminate what is rolled, what are the modifiers, what Utilities come into play and what are the Target numbers (edit these into your previous post if you can).

And now back to the run...

You locate the Yamatetsu Corporate Eyecon floating over the Downtown grid at the LTG# you looked up. The sparkling eye leisurely opens and closes sending off sparks of neon pixels as it slowly rotates around it's vertical axis. The open iris is obviously the SAN point and since this is an open client support and routing Host you walk right in (GM rules that the Access Test doesn't count towards your Security Tally here).

Inside you find yourself standing in a massive two-level mall arcade with different stores for different Yamatetsu subsidiaries and affiliates lining the concourse (these are Online Stores for anyone who's interested - each is either a linked Host or a subsection of this big Host). Several other Personas and Icons are about windowshopping or floating up and down from the stores on the second level. Ocassionally a courier icon (that strangely resembles a speeding blue hedgehog) comes through the cycling iris door you came through and shoots down the concourse to the opposite end.

At the opposite end of the mall concourse stand a set of 3 elevator doors. These are obviously the Access subsystems for other PLTG Hosts and each is flanked by two Greek statues (roll Matrix Etiquette and has a plaque with undecipherable word printed on it over the sliding doors (probably the results of Scramble IC).

As you watch a courier Icon comes out of one such elevator door and shoots past you and out the iris leaving a blue streak afterimage behind him for a nanosecond.
Synner
Orient - As far as I know there is no other way to handle this, although you may want to check some of the Programming Options in Matrix for some tricks to change program size and I/O speeds. The other possible way to handle this is to use a Dumb Frame (it's a waste of a Smart Frame) to act as a bagcarrier for other programs.
satcong
Can we go back a couple of steps?

I'm interested in how this Redirect Datatrail works, it's benefits and such. Also, if it's a System Operation on a TG, does the TG still get to roll against it?

Also, how do you know that your DF is sufficiently high-enough to make you immune from an increasing security tally on the LTG and RTG - or is this just hope and statistics?

I also thought that we were going in through a satallite?
Kurukami
Not a problem. I've updated my first post (further up on this page) to better reflect the details of what I've done so far. smile.gif

Yes, Redirect Datatrail is a System Operation against a TG. Basically, I roll my Decking against the Control value (in this case, 9) minus any Camo program that I have. In this case, I have a Camo of 4 -- which means that I had to roll 5s or better to successfully camoflauge my datatrail. (An excellent example of why it's good to have high-rating utilities!)

You can only successfully perform Redirect Datatrail once on a particular TG. When I succeeded on the Tukwila LTG, I raised the future TN of any Trace IC or Track utility trying to attack me in cybercombat by 1, and when I did so on the Seattle RTG, I raised it again. Therefore, any Trace IC trying to lock onto me in the future of this run will need to add 2 to its TN to attempt to track me down.

As for my DF being "high enough" -- yup, it really is a matter of statistics. Since I'm running in Masking Mode (which effectively multiplies my Masking persona chip by 1.5, rounding down), my Masking goes from 8 to 12. My Sleaze-5 thus makes my DF (12 + 5 / 2, rounding up) 9. That's the TN that the grids and hosts need to roll to "see" anything suspicious... so the odds are on my side, particularly with such pushovers as the Tukwila and Seattle general-access grids.

And I think we're going in through just a standard telecom sneak, not a satellite.
satcong
Thanks kurukami, that clears things up.

I understand that you can only Redirect once/TG but is there a limit to the number of TGs that you can place a Redirect Datatrail on? For instance, If I wanted to, could I jump from RTG-to-RTG and leave a track around the world before dropping into the relavent LTG and thereby rack up a huge modifier for the TRACE IC?

What are the draw-backs to doing this?
Kurukami
Now that I'm on the Yamatetsu PLTG, I need to track down the particular host I'm going to be providing Matrix overwatch for. But first, determining a few secrets about this particular PLTG might offer some insight. I roll my Etiquette (Matrix) 4 to see if I can puzzle out something about those Greek statues, and get 4, 4, 3, 2.

While Cheng is waiting for her grey matter to dredge up the recollection of just what that statuary might entail, she'll also try to determine whether or not those elevator doors are the key to accessing the host she wants to reach. Cheng reaches into an inner pocket of her greatcoat and pulls out a smoldering stick of incense. As she exhales upon it, the ember on its tip flares to life and puts out an ephemeral trail of lavender smoke. She sketches a somewhat complicated pictogram in midair with smoke as she faces the elevators, and as she completes the drawing the glyph briefly glows and (hopefully) transforms into a floating, translucent display of the data she requested. A brief moment later, she inhales sharply and the smoky data is drawn into her mouth, leaving no trace behind for the casual observer to see.

I attempt an Analyze Subsystem against the Access portion of this PLTG with my Analyze-6, hoping to determine just what might be unusual about the PLTG accesses and whether or not they are the path to my target. I throw in a pair of Hacking dice just to juice my luck. I do alright, but nothing special -- 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1 -- I'm relying on my Analyze program to pull out any specific details.

And, just to remind you, my Analyze program has sneak-2 as a program option. That means that, while she's using it, her DF is raised by 2 -- from 9 to 11 -- making it substantially more difficult for the system I'm on to notice my action.

After I attempt to examine the elevators in that way (and, um "digest" the information smile.gif ), Cheng would also consider whether one of the "stores" (hosts) in the mall might be the host she's looking for. It seems unlikely, since the target is likely to be fairly high security, but nonetheless she'll try to Locate Access Node.

After pinching the ember to mostly extinguish it, she replaces the stick of incense in her greatcoat and, from a pocket on the other side, brings forth a rice-paper scroll rolled around a sandalwood core. She cautiously unrolls it, whispering to it what she wants to find (in this case "the security and surveillance system for a Yamatetsu research facility in Snohomish", or just "a Yamatetsu research facility in Snohomish" if the first search fails to turn up anything), and watches with interest as a detailed map with landmarks and notations inks itself in on the scroll's smooth surface.

In game terms, I decide to attempt a Locate Access Node operation on the Yamatetsu PLTG with my Browse-6 utility. Just as with the Analyze utility, my Browse has sneak-2, raising my DF to 11 for purposes of being detected. I try to specify just what I'm looking for, as a specific inquiry will lower the TN (while a general one will probably raise it). Think of how Google will turn up an absolute ton of sites if you only give it a single, not unusual word or phrase to search by. smile.gif I roll my 7 decking dice along with two more Hacking Pool dice, giving me 9 dice in all against an undetermined Index TN (after all, I probably haven't been on this system before, so I don't know just how hard this grid is to deck), minus 6 for my utility. Result? 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1. Not a great roll. But unless this grid is bursting with security (unlikely) probably enough to find me what I need to know.
Kurukami
QUOTE (satcong)
I understand that you can only Redirect once/TG but is there a limit to the number of TGs that you can place a Redirect Datatrail on? For instance, If I wanted to, could I jump from RTG-to-RTG and leave a track around the world before dropping into the relavent LTG and thereby rack up a huge modifier for the TRACE IC?

What are the draw-backs to doing this?

Well, if you were going after a target host on a distant LTG, then I suppose you could do quite a bit. The difficulty is that you risk racking up quite a security tally in the process. Additionally, for a host that's connected to the Seattle LTG/RTG system (or something that's similarly local, for those running outside Seattle), it could be more difficult than it's worth.

Mind you, it could probably still be done. Imagine that scene from Sneakers, where Whistler bounces his telephone signal off a dozen relays and three satellites in an attempt to keep the NSA from tracking them down. It's an incredibly detailed and difficult Redirect operation, but the NSA guys (being absolutely studly in telecommunications matters), still nearly managed to track him and the rest of the group down in perhaps a minute of real time.

Drawbacks? Well, as I mentioned earlier, you risk racking up a Security Tally. If I'm not terribly mistaken, any Security Tally you get on a RTG often accompanies you when you head into a host -- something about the regional security code raising a few flags on someone even though they may not have done anything wrong on that host yet. Other than that...? Not much that I can think of. It simply makes it quite a bit harder for Trace to track you down.
TinkerGnome
You should be able to bounce between RTGs and leave quite a trail without aquiring a tally. Tally gained on a grid don't carry past the RTG unless that RTG is a satellite RTG.
Kurukami
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Sep 3 2003, 07:03 PM)
You should be able to bounce between RTGs and leave quite a trail without aquiring a tally.  Tally gained on a grid don't carry past the RTG unless that RTG is a satellite RTG.

Oh, I understand that. It doesn't carry between RTGs. I was thinking more along the lines of LTGs within an RTG.

(edit) ... although, upon reflection, maybe I've got it slightly wrong. Is it hosts within PLTGs? Hmmm... let me check to see what SR3 says.

Aha. Page 211, SR3:

GRID SECURITY TALLIES

Switching LTGTs within the same RTG does not affect the security tally against a decker.  For example, if a decker logs on to UCAS-SEA-2206 and incurs a tally of 2, then logs on to the UCAS-SEA RTG central system and picks up another point to his tally, then finally accesses UCAS-SEA-4206 and picks up another 2 points, his Security Tally stands at 5 and stays at 5 for as long as he is logged on to the UCAS-SEA grids.  However, the tally does not follow the decker if he logs on to another RTG.

PLTGs and Security Tallies

Because PLTGs maintain very active security routines, a security tally built up under a given RTG does remain in force if the decker logs on to a PLTG from the RTG.  This occurs because PLTGs pick up security "flags" from RTGs when the acknowledge logons.  This means that a decker who racks up a big tally working his way through the public grids may trigger IC as soon as he enters private dataspace.

The decker in our example, with a Security Tally of 5, would retain that tally when he enters a PLTG from the RTG.  If that tally is enough to trigger security responses in the PLTG, they go off as soon as he finishes the logon.  Whatever the immediate result, his Security Tally on this PLTG begins at 5, plus any points he incurs while logging on.

Presumably, though, one's tally drops back to the point it was at prior to one going in to a PLTG once one logs off.
Kurukami
*bumps thread to keep it on the first page for Synner's response*
Synner
Back to the Yamatetsu Eyecon Virtual Mall...

Cheng suddenly recalls the Hacker Hoosier House catalog she skimmed through back in '62, that introduced the Greek statuary iconography as a hallmark of the YamCore IC series. Mostly Whites and Greys if she recalls correctly but Cheng must have skimmed the file to fast because she cant remember the details. (Results of the Matrix Etiquette Test. Suffice it to say that more successes would have produced more information on specific IC types used in this particular non-custom series).

At almost the same time the incense-relayed data kicks in Cheng's eyes mist for a second as the information rearranges her Persona's perception of the scene. The elevator doors change colour, one to Red the other two to Orange while floating neon gothic calligraphy appears over each. Over the Red door the writing reads Local Branch Administration Host, over the first Orange door it reads North NorthAm IntraGrid and the second door reads International IntraGrid. All are locked with Scramble IC. The Host rolls only one success (a 15) against Cheng's net successes on the Analyze Subsystem Test.

The Locate Access Node analysis on the stores fronts however returns no hits on any of the search parameters and the effects of the incense vanish before they have time to take hold. The Host system rolls no successes.

Over to you.
hobgoblin
hmm, i would have said that some sort of iconographics knowledge skill would be more fitting then ettiquette (matrix) when it comes to those statues but then again i may have the wrong image of what that skill does...

isnt it about what to say and what to do (and dont say and do) to get what you want from someone? how does that connect to identifying icons?
Gorath
QUOTE (Matrix SB @ p. 24)

Etiquette (Matrix) Specialisation
The Matrix specialisation of the Ettiquette skill is used whenever interacting with other personas in virtual environments, whenever scouring for gossip, shopping for programs or talking your way into gaining access to a Shadowland node.
This specialisation encompasses an understanding of basic "netiquette" and avoiding behavior that would be improper or out of place. It also keeps the user current on who the major players are in cyberspace and lets them pick up the latest rumors in the global gossip of the Matrix.
[...]

The only connection i can see is, that if you have a good Etiquette Matrix, you must read those online cataloges for the newest programs...
Its a hard to decide, if you see the Etiquette (Street) specialization:
A player wants to identify a gang member by his colours. Do you only allow a Knowledge(Gang Identification) check or would you give him a Etiquette (Street) check (with mods) too?

Synner
I should have explained better. In the absence of an appropriate Knowledge skill (ie. possibly Popular IC Configurations or ICspotting), I assumed that an experienced decker would have read something interesting when "shopping for programs" (hence the HHH reference in the use of the Etiquette Matrix Specialization) and might remember it (hence the vague recollection but no details).
hobgoblin
ah, so details would require a knowledge skill while the vague recollection is more recalling that some corp or other have a connection to them smile.gif

and to gorath:
iwould allow for ettiquete(street) as iding what gang your about to run into is a integrated part of street person to person interaction while i see iding a icon to be more of a software knowledge skill then a ettiquete skill as the person is trying to id what kind of security software a host is running, hardly a person to person interaction...
Gorath
@ Hobgoblin:

I see your point. The question is could you know of this gang without every having a person to person interaction? So Etiquette Street represents time on street and learning/seeing facts about the street. So, if you are chatting in decker bar, you might get some informations about the newest hottest IC too. But we must not discuss this:
QUOTE (1. Rule)
Everything that is good for a player should not be questioned by him.
wink.gif
We should be glad that the GM decided to give some information and does not only include skill like Computer. So your characters background and experience can make a difference...

PS: Remember 1. Rule is not 2. Rule...

QUOTE (2. Rule)
Everything good that happens to your character should be questioned...
Kurukami
QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 4 2003, 09:19 AM)
The elevator doors change colour, one to Red the other two to Orange while floating neon gothic calligraphy appears over each. Over the Red door the writing reads Local Branch Administration Host, over the first Orange door it reads North NorthAm IntraGrid and the second door reads International IntraGrid. All are locked with Scramble IC. The Host rolls only one success (a 15) against Cheng's net successes on the Analyze Subsystem Test.

Hmmm. OK, then. I'm guessing that, as Snohomish is considered "local" in comparison to the scope of the entire North American continental grid, the Local Branch Administration host is probably the one I'm looking for. Chances are that the Local host is a chokepoint -- something with high levels of security, which controls access to the somewhat more "squishy" hosts I'm seeking access to.

So. First, I'll Decrypt Access on the LBA host, and then I'll attempt to Logon to Host under the auspices of my Deception-6. Now, theoretically the Scramble IC is on the PLTG host, which has substantially less security to it than the host I'll (hopefully) soon be inside of. Therefore, I'll save most of my Hacking Pool to go towards the Logon attempt. 2 dice towards the Decrypt, and 6 dice towards the Logon.

Lady Cheng once again draws forth a stick of incense -- cinnamon, this time -- and coaxes it to life to attempt her Decrypt Access. A series of smoky pictograms is quickly sketched in the air, this time in front of the Local Branch Administration host's elevator. The spirits are apparently with her today -- Decrypt-6 combined with a roll of 10, 9, 8, 8, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1 for her Decrypt Access attempt -- as the kanji pictograms quickly morph from one shape to another in their efforts to find the proper key that will allow access to the host.

Next, she breathes in a wisp of smoke from the incense -- which exhibits yet another aroma, this time of freshly baked bread -- and exhales a much larger cloud than might be expected. The smoke quickly forms into a floating menagerie of lockpicks, narrow keys, and what appear to be surgical instruments, which try their best to unlock the outer doors of the Red LBA host. She offers up a wordless plea to her ancestors as -- with her 7 Decking dice and the 6 Hacking Pool dice she's added in, she rolls 13, 9, 7, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 1 for her Deception-6-aided Logon to Host operation -- the evanescent tools attempt to find a means inside.

Over to you, Synner.
Synner
Here's something that I find often needs clearing up. The Scramble IC (even though its visible from the public Host) is encrypting the Access subsystem (SAN point) of the next system in the PLTG. In practical terms what this means is that the elevators (or any other system link iconography) is a representation of an Access subsystem of the next Host, much like the Yamatetsu Eyecon or Mitsuhama Pagoda in the Downtown Seattle LTG include representations (ie. the iris doorway) of the Access subsystems of the Hosts "behind" them.

With this in mind Kurukami may want to revise the dice roll since he's assuming the next Host is a chokepoint.

Dashifen
QUOTE (Kurukami @ Sep 4 2003, 01:58 PM)
So.  First, I'll Decrypt Access on the LBA host, and then I'll attempt to Logon to Host under the auspices of my Deception-6.  Now, theoretically the Scramble IC is on the PLTG host, which has substantially less security to it than the host I'll (hopefully) soon be inside of.  Therefore, I'll save most of my Hacking Pool to go towards the Logon attempt.  2 dice towards the Decrypt, and 6 dice towards the Logon.

This part confused me a little. (1) Why do you need to decrypt access? Why not just try to log on to the host? And, (2) Why did you save some of your hacking pool? As I understand pools (in general) they refresh completely after each use unless your in combat when they refresh at the end of the turn. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Edit: OH! Just read Synner's post. So the Scramble IC is causing the need for the decryption then?

-- Dashifen --
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Edit: OH! Just read Synner's post. So the Scramble IC is causing the need for the decryption then?

That's right. Scramble IC is fairly common, in fact. Any time you try to log onto a Satellite RTG, you have to pass through it, for instance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012