Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Idiot's Guide To The Matrix Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
michaelius
i also had some questions about multiple allied deckers in a system. would they be able see each other and help fight IC that the other had triggered? say if one had a DF much higher than the other and managed to escape triggering a bunch of IC but the other one is having a tough time, could the first one help out? (did that make sense?)

this was brought up earlier with two deckers using the same physical deck (if not the same programs), but i wondered how they would work inside the matrix.
hobgoblin
hmm, check page 110 of matrix...

you generate your own tally so any ice you trigger is your problem. personaly i would allow for the teammate to scan for ice and target it that way, thereby giving the ice a second target to attack.

any decker cna show himself to any other decker at will, if you go by the info in the locate decker operation. and i read an attack as being a very fine way to show himself...

watch out for ice constructs tho, these nastys can target anyone with a tally equal to or above the trigger level, not just the one hitting the level at the moment...
Dashifen
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
watch out for ice constructs tho, these nastys can target anyone with a tally equal to or above the trigger level, not just the one hitting the level at the moment...

I thought the tally of the targeted icon had to be above passive alert .... stupid no books at work. Can anyone else help out?
-- Dash --
hobgoblin
passive alert is allso talked about but in its own part so to speak. its not connected to ice constructs at all.

basicly if anyone triggers a passive alert it will have effect for anyone inside unless your a legitimate user that uses the commands granted to you.

ice constructs are in no way connected to this...
Kurukami
The Johnson briefed the team on the existance of several perimeter security measures including electrified fence (3m high, monowire topped), one guard-manned (three men sec-guard teams, 5 hour shifts) gate, concealed pressure pads on the greens leading up to the mainbuilding and sofisticated maglocks on all external doors (at least rating 6) - all measures are supposed to be non-lethal which fits with Yamatetsu's known capture and interrogate policy. Mr.J was unaware if security systems are centrally controlled or not and no data was forthcoming on internal security, except that the facility is not supposed to be rigger-equipped.

Alright. To review: Cheng has located the security cameras which could track her teammates' intrusion visually, the maglocks along the presumed path of insertion to the target, and the telecomms which correspond to security's workstations.

So far, that's all well and good -- but it's not good enough as yet. Cheng still needs to get her team past the fence and the pressure sensors, and have them successfully dodge any living guardians inside the fence.

Presumably, the fence may be deactivated in segments -- I mean, if you have a blown capacitor on one segment, you don't want to deactivate your entire perimeter's security when the local techies come to fix it, right? Likewise, the pressure sensors implanted in the ground should also be accessible individually or in small groups. Cheng slips the embering incense stick free of its pocket once again, and in quick succession performs a pair of Locate Slave operations -- one to locate the specific segment of the exterior fence, one to locate the grouping of pressure sensors that correspond to our teams entry path. And just to be on the safe side, she'll perform another Locate Slave operation to find any security cameras which are located on the perimeter fence near my team's insertion point.

[ Game info: Locate Slave is an Index operation which requires the use of the Analyze utility. My Analyze is rating 6, and has the Sneak option at level 2, which means my DF goes up by two while I'm using it. Based on past experience, I can guess that I'll need to hit a TN of 5 to succeed -- but the system will need to hit a DF of 11 to detect me.

So. For these three tasks, I'll be evenly splitting my remaining Hacking Pool -- two dice for each. Each test will roll seven Decking dice plus the extra two from Hacking.

For the test to locate any perimeter cameras near my team, I roll and get: 7, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 1. Four presumed successes.

For the test to locate the segment of electrified fence which corresponds to their location, I roll 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1. Hopefully three successes.

For the test to locate the portion of the pressure sensors which lie along the path planned for insertion, I roll and get -- wow, really unusual luck today -- 16, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1. Perhaps one success -- I may have to reroll that test. ]

Cheng does note one bit of information and take pleasure in it, though -- the fact that there are widespread pressure sensors on the grounds suggests that there aren't any roving paranimals about. They would almost certainly cause an unending stream of alerts and problems for security by setting off sensors all the time.
Synner
Matrix Overwatch Walkthrough
The smoke coils in the air changing shape as Cheng's operation runs it's course.

The Host's Opposed Roll using its Security Rating doesn't return any successes which leaves Cheng's Tally untouched and with a successful Locate Slave on the cameras.

The incense smoke circles and coalesces, gaining substance and turning into a small nautical compass. Cheng allows herself a smug smile at her success. Following the compass pointer, Cheng waits for the passage beyond the YCAP doors to be realtively clear and steps through. Before any of the other Icons moving about notes her, she speeds to the door indicated by the compass at the end of the new corridor passing what look like windows looking into Operating Rooms in a hospital. She steps through the door into a darkened room. Screens flicker on all the walls and ceiling. Interspersed amongst these are condition monitors for other sensors and systems.

One wall of screens in particular shows views of the manicured lawn leading to the fence as well as cycling through views from cameras positioned at the gate and at each corner of the fence. The compass points right to these.

Next Cheng performs her Locate Slave operation for the electrified fence segments. The Incense Analyze stick comes out again and the smoke is soon coiling in the still air of the room...

The Host rolls it's Opposed System Operation dice and gets one success against Cheng's Sneak-enhanced Detection Factor. Her Tally goes up another point but she still has enough successes to produce the desired result.

The compass reforms from the smoke, it's iron needle pointing out a display set to the side of the exterior camera wall which shows a vector graphic of the facility's grounds with each segment of the fence outlined in neon green (according to this segments are 4-5 meter longs sections).

In the security room, Cheng lets out a long breath and decides to risk the third Locate Operation even though her Security Tally's now pretty high. The incense draws another pictogram in the air and the smoke rolls and snakes as the program interfaces with the Host.

The Host again rolls its Security Rating for the Opposed Test and though it only gets one success this is enough to block Cheng.

The Analyze smoke sparkles in the darkened room and fades from view as the Locate Slave Operation fails.
(pending reroll...)

Suddenly a robotic Icon fades into view across the room detaching itself from the darkest shadows and uncoiling its mechanical appendages - a multi-limbed spider-like construct spinning out a neon white trail of webbing behind it. Its matte-black mechanical pincers clicking and stilletto tipped limbs darting menacingly, the spider construct dives towards Cheng.
Kurukami
Either black IC or a security decker, but more likely the former. On the other hand, it could be an IC construct with Tar capability. Either way, it spells bad news if it's able to make contact. Cheng's sensorium interacts with the deck's hardware and shifts her perception of time into the heightened awareness of cybercombat.

[ I roll initiative for Cheng and get 6, 5, 5, 3, which combines with her Reaction of 14 to produce an Initiative of 33. Ye gods, she might actually live through this. ]

Drawing her runed blade with her right hand and a wheel-lock pistol with her left, Cheng moves to engage the clockwork arachnoid...
Kurukami
Suddenly, the IC construct shudders, framerate decreasing rapidly, and then freezes up entirely. Cheng, standing ready with code-weapons prepared, looks confused for a moment and then tentatively pokes at the arachnoid with the tip of her sword.

*tink tink tink*

She glances up at the ceiling. "Um, narrator?"

Your move, Synner.
Synner
Apologies for the delay something will be up tomorrow morning.
Kurukami
No problem, particularly given how long I've gone at times between actions. biggrin.gif
Synner
So...

The IC moves into cybercombat mode and rolls a 28 on its Initiative.

The arachnoid's two mandibles click, extending and becoming chromed scythe blades. The webbing behind it pulses with neon surges lighting the virtual security room with a strange kaledoscope of colors.

Cheng wins initiative and gets the first move...
Kurukami
Cheng purses her lips and winces at the display of ferocious death-code staring into her grey matter, then brings up one of the two wheel-lock pistol Attack programs she has loaded and prepares to let fly towards the eight-legged monstrosity.

Without warning, the viscous threads behind the arachnoid lash out in an attempt to entangle the pistol. The sudden move catches Cheng off-guard, but nonetheless she reacts quickly and attempts to snap the firearm free of its gluey bindings...

[ Oooh, nice one! I was wondering when we were going to see the effects of Tar IC, and this makes for an excellent example. I roll to see whether or not the Attack program resists the effects of the Tar Pit -- because if I fail, Tar Pit (unlike its less dangerous cousin, Tar Baby) takes not only the program from active memory but from storage memory as well! And if it's a one-shot program, all my copies of that program on my deck. Ick...

Anyways, for my roll: 13, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4. Enough for one success to struggle against the Tar IC... but will that be enough? I don't have my main book with me... if the two contesters tie on number of successes, who wins?

And as it turns out (see post below), Synner's Tar Pit managed to overcome the viral code of my Attack-6D. As a side note, there is (if I recall correctly) a program option that one can add to programs, which makes it harder for Tar IC to affect a program. I think it's called "Crashguard" or something -- it's in the Matrix book. ]

The pistol, encased in glimmering digital webbing, convulses once in Cheng's hand as the viscous bundle spits out a tentacle towards the other pistol in her belt-sash. Beneath that crushing pressure, the pistols succumb in a moment and crumble into their constituent pixels, leaving behind only a puff of rust and whiff of sulfur in the air as the vile bindings fade to nothingness.

"Ah, frag me," whispers Cheng, with fury in her voice. With a fierce battle-cry, she leaps forward with her longsword to attempt to cut down the arachnoid before it can put those scythe-fangs to use.

[ Game-wise:Cheng had wanted to strike the IC confronting her twice, but her first attempt (to use the Attack-6D one-shot) was blocked by the Tar Pit IC that ambushed her. Fortunately, that was the one-shot program, not the reusable one... but still that will make things substantially more difficult.

Since this is an Orange-10 host, Cheng's TN to hit a valid icon in cybercombat is 5, while a valid icon's TN to hit her (she being an intruder) is 4.

Cheng would've done this for her first action:

My first strike is a one-shot Attack-6D.  That means that I roll six dice, complimented by however many of my Hacking Pool dice I'd care to invest, against that TN 5.  The Hacking Pool refreshes at the beginning or end of combat, fortunately, or Cheng would be in very deep trouble.  Since I've still got two pieces of IC suppressed, I only have six dice in my Hacking Pool to play with.

This is black IC I'm up against, which means that holding back some Hacking dice for an improvised defense might be very wise.  Therefore, I'll add only two dice to the six I get for the attack program.  I roll, and get:  11, 9, 8, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1.  Five solid successes, which in theory should make it very tough for the IC to resist.  However, this is black IC on a rating 10 host, which means said IC could well have Armor or the like to blunt the force of my attack.

However, since Cheng got blocked, that first Simple Action is cancelled. Fortunately (if one can look at it that way), she still has her Hacking Pool available to her. For her second Simple Action (the first one having been voided), Cheng isn't going to wait for some other bugaboo to jump out and ambush her. She immediately leaps forward with her Attack-6S, throwing in two dice from the Hacking Pool for luck, and rolls her eight dice: 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1. Three successes is enough to land a solid blow on the IC opposing her, and possibly to fragment its code enough to leave it nonfunctional.

This leaves her with four dice remaining in her Hacking Pool, one of which is reserved for suppression if and when the IC goes down. The other three... well, let's just say that I might want some improvised defense if this thing's about to knock me upside the head. I'll expand on that topic later tonight, when I have access to my copy of Matrix.

En garde, Synner.
Synner
This is where things get nasty... (Kurukami, you're going to have to go back and edit the previous post as appropriate, I had a nasty surprise in store which would not have worked otherwise.)

As soon as Cheng draws her wheel-lock to fire, a thread of neon white webbing shoots out from somewhere on the darkened wall behind the arachnoid Icon and wraps itself around the pistol. Silvery electric sparks dance off the webbing as it tries to envelop the Attack program while the mechanical spider advances.

What's happened is that confronted by the Blaster IC Cheng made the call to Attack it, assuming it's Black IC.

However she had no way of knowing that she's actually gone up two steps and now has a Security Tally of 13 (no metagaming please). She's actually triggered something at 11 and the spider at 13. Unbeknownst to her, she failed to roll any successes on the secret Noticing Triggered IC Test (SR3 page 209) at step 11 and the GM kept quiet about the reactive IC she triggered. Unfortunately for Cheng that reactive IC was a Tar Pit programmed to bring down Offensive Utilities (SR3 page 228) designed to act in tandem with the spider Cheng triggered two steps later. When triggered the spider, a Blaster IC, promptly attacked. As soon as Cheng uses her first Attack program however, she triggers the Tar Pit IC which acts immediately upon activation of the appropriate Utility.

However, Cheng's luck did hold because she used the One-shot Attack program first, if she had used her regular Attack she'd be in bigger trouble.

The appropriate rules for Tar IC are on pages 228 and 229 of SR3 (there's also some relevant material on page 109 of Matrix which affects this situation). What happens next is that before anything else is resolved the Tar Pit makes an Opposed Test to crash the wheel-lock Attack program. The Tar Pit IC roles it's rating (8 ) against the Attack program rating (6) and gets a surprising 3 successes. Kurukami now has to roll his Attack program's rating (6) against the IC's rating (8 ) to avoid the countermeasure's nasty effects (no Hacking Pool for this since it is simply programs interacting).

Once that is resolved Cheng still gets to resolve either her second Simple action or both of them depending on the outcome.
Kurukami
I've updated my previous post with Cheng's rolls. Nice trap, by the way! I halfway suspected something of the sort with the whole webbing imagery, but nonetheless a nice touch.
Synner
The Tar Pit's webbing constricts around Attack program wheel-lock icon and squeezes it into non-existance. For a second all that's left is a ball of white neon coding pulsing in the dim air, then it shoots into Cheng's virtual hand with a small shock. Cheng can almost feel a tingling as the Tar's search routine locks and corrupts the copies on her deck as well.

Cheng rolled one success against the Tar Pit's three. One is sufficient for the IC to crash the relevant program's copies in Active Memory (this includes Cheng's other AttackD pistol), however the Tar Pit version then goes further and rolls a Tar Pit Test (SR3 pages 229/230) against the the deck's MPCP rating plus Hardening (8+4 = 12). The Tar rolls one success (a 15) which means it is successful and all copies of the One-Shot Attack in both Active and Storage Memory are crashed. And if the decker doesn't have them in Offline memory somewhere are gone for good.

Important Note - Like Scramble there are some things often overlooked regarding Tar IC. The biggest is that it doesn't necessarily have to be programmed to crash Offensive Utilities. In fact, in situations like this, you will quite often find it set up to crash Operational Utilities - eg. programmed so that when an unauthorized decker tries to take control of the cameras it destroys his Spoof or other relevant Utility and makes it that much harder for him to do his business from then on.
Kurukami
[ On the other hand, at least once it ate my pistols it self-destructed, so I'm free (hope hope hope) to flail at the spider without having to worry about my sword vanishing in the same manner.

Ho-kay, then... updating my post with the new details on my attack. I have a question, though -- since my Attack-6D program got devoured before I could use it, do I still have my Hacking Pool dice available to me? (I'm presuming so as I rewrite the post...) ]
Synner
Yes, you get to keep your Pool since in practice the program was snatched away from you after you triggered it but before any roll was made. However you did trigger it which means one of the Simple Actions is gone.
Kurukami
QUOTE (Synner)
Yes, you get to keep your Pool since in practice the program was snatched away from you after you triggered it but before any roll was made. However you did trigger it which means one of the Simple Actions is gone.

The previous post has now been updated with the new details.
Synner
And now back to the action...

Cheng's runesword flashes out at the arachnoid intent on shredding it with a single blow. The blade connects in a shower of bright scarlet pixels that leave sparking afterimages in the air...

Cheng rolled three successes on her Attack. IC has no "dodge" analogue in Cybercombat so we jump straight to the Icon Damage Resistance Test detailed in SR3 page 226. The GM gets to roll the host's Security Value (10) against the power of the Attack (6) to stage down the damage. In this case the system rolls 2 successes which reduces Cheng's net successes to 1 and means that her Attack Utility damage is not staged up but deals the IC a Serious Wound nonetheless.

The blade comes away leaving a trail of red points in the air, ripped code leaking from a deep gash in the arachnoid's matte-black carapace just above its head. The IC spasms but still lashes out at Cheng with its stilleto legs.

The Blaster took a nasty hit but now it's on the offensive. The Blaster rating is 8 and it is on an Orange system which means it has a base damage code of 8S (see SR3 page 228/229). In cybercombat proactive IC can use Combat Maneuvers, but this time the GM opts not to and tries to overwhelm the decker with two straight Attacks. The host rolls Security Value to attack and the target number is 7 (the base target number for an Intruding Icon on an Orange Host is 4 according to the chart in SR3 page 224, to which is added the +3 modifier from the Serious Wound Cheng did).

On its first Simple Action Attack roll the IC gets 11, 11, 7, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1 (or three successes) and on it's second Attack roll the IC gets 7, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 1, 1 (or one success).

The arachnoid's matte-black spurs shoot forward towards Cheng's chest with deadly intent while the scythe blade mandibles click menacingly. A acrid, nauseating smell surrounds the mechancial beast and claws at the inside of Cheng's nose and throat, even though she realizes it's just creative icon-coding.

Kurukami now gets to try out the "Matrix dodge" or Improvised Defense, as it's formally called, from the Matrix sb's page 122. Note this is calculated before Armor Utility kicks in during the Icon Damage Resistance Test. The target number for this option is half the host's Security Value (rounded up) in this case (10/2=) 5.
hobgoblin
just one thing, when the tar ice blew up didnt it spike the security?
Synner
No. The rules explicitly say that if it crashes having completed it's function Tar Baby IC does not increase the decker's Security Tally (SR3 page 228). As described on the following page Tar Pit operates just like Tar Baby except for the additional Tar Test to corrupt Storage Memory copies. If it had been destroyed in cybercombat on the other hand...
Kurukami
Fortunately, I've still got those dice in my Hacking Pool... four of them, to be precise. Nonetheless, I don't want to use all of them, for a number of reasons -- first, because I've still got three actions this turn and the IC still has two (assuming I don't manage to kill it with my next attack); second, because (correct me if I'm wrong, Synner) Hacking Pool can also be used to resist damage along with your deck's Bod; third, because if I do take it out I want to keep one Hacking Pool die in reserve to suppress the "death-alarm" when it nulls. I could, of course, use points from my DF instead, but I would very much prefer not to -- that's what's keeping the host from noticing Cheng quite as quickly as it otherwise might. At this point, then, it's a choice -- use my Hacking Pool dice against TN 5 to try to counter the IC's three successes, and dodge the attack with those dice alone, or use my Hacking Pool dice along with my deck's current Bod rating of 3 (it's normally 5, but I'm in Masking Mode, which though it bumps Masking up by 50% it also lessens another deck-attribute by 50%) to resist a TN which I suspect will be 4. (Regular TN 8, less 4 for my Armor-4 utility.)

The odds are more in my favor, at the moment, if I just try to ride out the damage.

Cheng grits her teeth as the monstrosity lunges forward and the digital talons rake along her side. The bluish glow limning her cuiri bouille bracers scintillates just at the moment of impact, manifesting into a form-fitting field that blunts the damage of the attack but does not halt it. The viral code represented by the attack tries to crash its way into her deck's system processes, but Cheng counters with code-breaks and improvised digital firewalls in an attempt to limit the damage.

So, now's when it comes down to brass tacks. Cheng will attempt to resist an 8S attack from the first strike of the spider's computer-virus weaponry. Fortunately, she's got Armor-4 -- not as solid a protection as Armor-6, which would be fantastic to have in this situation, but certainly not bad. The Armor-4 reduces her TN to resist the damage from 8 to 4.

She'll be resisting the damage with her 3 dice of Bod, plus whatever Hacking Pool Dice I choose to throw in. I choose to add only two dice from my Hacking Pool, in the plans of a strategem for the strike immediately after this one. I roll, and get: 10, 7, 5, 5, 4. Five successes -- not enough to ignore the damage, as three of those are used to counter the successes the IC got, but enough to stage the damage down to Moderate.

As the second spur comes slashing in, somewhat less accurately than the last, Cheng desperately twists aside, hoping that with an improvised code-defense she might be able to block the IC's viral damage entirely. She leaps high, trying to arch her body over the plane of attack...

And now it all comes down to a single roll. Using the one Hacking Pool die I don't have in reserve to suppress the IC, I roll against a TN equal to half the System Rating (10) -- against a 5. This is worthwhile in this regard because if I succeed, I've completely avoided the attack -- a much better bet than tryin to suck down another Serious wound with my Bod-3.

However, because Cheng's deck is already suffering from Moderate damage, her TN to successfully improvise a defense is increased -- from 5 to 7. Well, 6, effectively. The run hangs in the balance as I roll... a 9! Yes! *happy dance of joy* Because I got a success, that counters the IC's one success on the second attack and makes it as though the IC missed completely.

... as the IC's spur sweeps across, just missing her heels. She tucks her knees up towards her bosom as she somersaults backwards in midair, and manages a neat, crouching, three-point landing with her swordarm out to the side for balance.

My turn now, you drek-eater. Cheng slipped back into close contact immediately, sparing no time for fancy maneuvers or trickery, and hacked at the arachnid with a single, powerful blow. No time to get complicated -- it's already wounded, and if I can manage to get just one more solid shot in I may derez it before it can strike again.

With only the one die remaining in her Hacking Pool, and that reserved for emergencies or suppressing the IC once it's destroyed, Cheng doesn't have anything to add to the Attack dice granted by the utility. She's just going to go straight in with its six dice and hope she gets enough of a hit to render the thing useless. Her TN is 7 (5, +2 for the deck suffering under a Moderate wound), so effectively I'll need sixes for successes. I roll, and get: 14, 8, 5, 4, 3, 2. Normally three successes, but only two because of the wound-penalties.

So, now the IC has to resist a 6S blow, and counter the two successes I got before it begins to stage down the damage. If I do manage to kill it, I'll be using that last Hacking Pool die to suppress it's death-alarm.

She nearly cleaves the monstrosity in two with the graceless but effective blow, and dances backwards as the thing convulses and shudders, its framerate strobing and icon throwing off pixels as it attempts to counteract the virus racing through its code-structure...

Your move, Synner...
hobgoblin
hmm, ok i must have forgoten that part...
Synner
Apologies my previous post on this thread has mysteriously vanished and I hadn't realised. My interpretation of the various rules matches Kurukami's so we should have no problem there. Note however that I follow the interpretation that wound penalties of all sorts do not apply to any Damage Resistance Tests.

Back to the fray...

Cheng's single Attack deals an impressive 6S base plus 2 successes. The IC gets to roll Icon Damage Resistance (SR3 page 226) using its Security Value against an attack Power of 6 - it gets two successes which means the runesword Attack program does its base damage of Serious. Since the IC is already suffering from a Serious Wound this sends it over the top of the Damage track and it's done for.

Cheng's Attackware sends the arachnoid into ever greater convulsions until its codecore collapses under the internal viral assault and the spider seems to crack along the seems of its armored carapace, beginning to derezz in a cascade of scarlet and silver pixels that pours out.
Kurukami
Before the pixels can scatter into the directories of the host, Cheng throws out a quick codestring through the digital ether to send the subroutine which would report the IC's destruction into an infinite loop.

Basically, Cheng uses that Hacking Pool die she had in reserve to prevent the host's Security Tally from bumping up by 8. One can only imagine the nastiness which might result from that increase...

As Cheng drops out of the heightened time-sense of cybercombat, she takes a deep breath and tries to slow the rapid beating of her heart. Her attention is divided now, as she keeps the code-mazes which are infinitely looping the alert subprograms triggered by IC-death running. Her lady-pirate icon is moving somewhat jerkily, skipping frames and stutter-animating at times, as her MPCP attempts to compensate for internal code-errors and system breaks inflicted by the IC's viral attacks. Best I try to fix that before I proceed further. She concentrates briefly to check the available space on her deck. The Tar IC had wiped the megapulses of Attack virus that had been represented by the gunpowder-pistol, and she quickly emptied those sectors of the junk data that remained and began to upload a utility to repair the code in her deck that had been fragmented by the spider IC.

From the ubiquitous pockets of her greatcost, she pulled a stick of incense and a dozen acupuncture needles -- the visual iconography of her Medic program -- and began to debug her MPCP's errors on the fly. The acupuncture needles float aloft, born on evanescent fingers of smoke, and begin to delicately probe at her icon to remove the impurities which have entered her chi.

Having Swapped Memory to bring up her rating 5 Medic utility (a process which doesn't take very long, since Cheng's deck has I/O of 360 and the utility is only 100 Mp in size), I need to use Medic to repair my icon's damage. Fortunately, I have my Hacking Pool back -- though I only have 5 dice available to me to use now, since the others are suppressing IC.

To activate Medic, I need to roll its rating in dice against a TN based on the level of damage my icon has suffered. I'm lacking my SR3 book right now -- can someone give me a reference as to what that TN might be and whether I can add Hacking Pool dice to the roll?
Pavlov
Roll dice equal to program rating.

Wound Level TN
Light 4
Moderate 5
Serious 6

Each success heals one box of damage. The program degrades one Rating Point each time it's used, regardless of success or failure. I don't have Matrix on hand, but it looks like you can use your hacking pool here (no mention of not being able to).
Shockwave_IIc
As a side note, as an Otaku's living persona's icon takes damage (which can be healed by medic as i understand it) does the Stun conidition moniter heal as well? Only one or two answers please as im not wanting to grag this totally OT.
Kurukami
Which means, of course, that you have to eventually reload it to continue gaining its benefits. Makes sense...

In that case, I'll roll the five dice provided by the utility. The result: 17, 8, 7, 1, 1. Eeeeex-cellent, Mr. Smithers... that removes all the damage boxes from the condition track of Cheng's icon. And, of course, the copy which is in active memory degrades to 4. (The copy of the utility which is in storage remains intact, ready to be reloaded when needed.)

Cheng sighs in relief as the utility works its way through her operating code, eliminating errors and reassembling the structure where fragments had snuck in. As it proceeds, her movements smooth out once again and her perception (which had been "blocking up" in certain areas, like the visual censor edited in by the more puritanical of broadcasters, and not refreshing as she acted or moved through the virtual environment) cleared.

(I'll write more later, Synner...)
Synner
Kurukami - Actually, I've got an issue or two with Medic:
a) The way it is written Medic operates using its own Rating rather than the decker's Computer skill which suggests it works independently (and so brings into doubt whether or not Hacking Pool is appropriate).
b) On the other hand, assuming it isn't independent of the decker and Hacking Pool is appropriate, wouldn't those target numbers be subject to the decker's Wound Modifiers just like any other Test?

Shockwave IIc - A strict interpretation is that Medic rebuilds the damaged code and restores your Matrix Persona. Personally I would rule that it can't affect the physical and mental stress/damage resulting from Persona damage in an Otaku because I simply can't see how a program designed to restore code could do so. You might be able to design a program that might generate psychotropic and psychosomatic healing effects, but I don't think Medic is it.
Kurukami
I was kind of presuming the Medic utility was rather like the code for Attack programs -- in that it was automated (you rolled the utility's value rather than your Computer skill), but you could use Hacking pool to make its use more effective. Do any utilities but the operational ones actually use Computer? I'm thinking specifically of:

Attack
Killjoy
Black Hammer
Erosion
Steamroller
Hog
Track
Medic

Arguably, Cloak and Lock-on might fall into this category too, since they only modify the rolls for your Persona chips during cyberspace Combat Maneuvers.
Synner
QUOTE (Kurukami @ Nov 19 2003, 04:43 PM)
I was kind of presuming the Medic utility was rather like the code for Attack programs -- in that it was automated (you rolled the utility's value rather than your Computer skill), but you could use Hacking pool to make its use more effective.

Note I'm not decided on which way this should go, but I'd assume that this would mean that (like Attack) it is subject to Wound Modifiers... in which case the appropriate Target Number in case of self-use on a damaged Icon pops from 5 to 7 in your case.
Kurukami
That's certainly an unpleasant thought. Any way we can get a ruling from the FAQ gurus one way or the other? biggrin.gif

*imagining trying to hit a TN of 9 (book 6, +3 for wound level) for a Serious icon-wound*
Pavlov
Hmmm.....I may have been wrong in my previous post re: Hacking Pool.

SR pg. 207 states that the Hacking Pool can be used for

System Tests, attack or defense tests, maneuvers, or Attribute tests.

And I don't see Medic falling into any of these categories. On the plus side, that means you don't have to worry about wound modifiers.
Synner
I tend to agree with Pavlov's new interpretation. Under this assumption the Medic would act independently of the Decker (unaided by Hacking Pool) but would also be immune to Wound Modifiers. If you're okay with this approach Kurukami, adjust the post above accordingly and we'll go on from here (I'll be mailing FanPro some of the questions brought up in this thread after we've finished this run).
Kurukami
OK, I've updated the original post. As always, my luck with the dice is... just weird. ork.gif
Kurukami
As the error-correction routines of the Medic utility take effect and smooth out the performance of her deck, Cheng takes a deep breath and tries to let the tension leak out of her shoulders. Now, where was I...? Ah, yes -- locating the controls for the pressure sensors on the side of the compound where the rest of the team is waiting.

The acupuncture needles, their work completed, drift into the hand of Cheng's icon, and she absentmindedly stores them back in their pocket as she generates the incense-smoke that symbolizes her Analyze utility. A handful of bold strokes limn the necessary kanji in midair, and she waits nervously to see how the host might respond.

Since the host blocked Cheng's search before (which triggered the popup of the arachnoid Blaster IC), she still needs to get this operation past the host and discover the location of the resources she'll need to control. I'll roll Cheng's seven Decking dice, and add three dice from my Hacking Pool, to try and push this through the host before many more things can get fragged up. Another possibility which makes me twitchy is that, with the release of the Blaster IC, the host may have jumped from normal status into a passive alert, in which case things will be much more difficult for me to affect. I roll: 11, 7, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1. Tentatively, that's four successes at what I think was the old Index TN of 11, as modified by my Analyze-6.

And, as always with my Analyze utility, it's sneaky, making my DF 11.

With those digital locales firmly set in her thoughts, she moves to the controls for the perimeter cameras and prepares to loop a cycle of video for each that is near the potential entry point for the others. From the displays she can make out, it should be easy to determine whether the cameras are static or panning. It'll be somewhat more difficult, but still possible, to digitally loop the inputs to display an "all-remains-well" image even as her teammates are approaching.

At the same time, she decides to keep one eye on the whatever video surveillance might be observing security posts. On the off chance that some guard tries to make a call out in response to events in the compound, she hopes to be prepared to block and/or deceive it.

I will update this further once I get home and can reference my SR3 book for the needed operations.
Kurukami
In case anyone was curious, this is what I've deduced about the Host and its security sheaf so far:

Yamatetsu Research Host:
* Orange-10
* A/C/I/F/S: .../14 - 15/11/11 - 13/...

Sheaf:
4: ......... Probe-9.
8: ......... Scout-10.
11: ....... Tar Pit-8
13: ....... Blaster-8

Cheng's security tally currently sits at 13 (pending response regarding the success of my roll to locate the system controls for the outdoors pressure sensors), so we'll have to wait a bit to see what other nastiness Synner's got in store. smile.gif As soon as I try to manipulate the various Slaves via the host, I'll get a better sense of what the Slave rating might be. The main difficulty I foresee is that, being foolish and shortsighted, Cheng didn't have a particularly good Spoof program loaded into her memory before setting off on this quest.

A base Slave TN somewhere between 11 and 16, combined with the really wimpy Spoof-3 that Cheng's got, is going to make for some viciously difficult rolls. And this just goes to show how important it is to tailor your program load to the job at hand (while carrying backup utilities in your storage memory "sideboard" for potential surprises).
Synner
Pretty good guess so far. I've had people tell me I've gone light on the IC but I've been comparing with some of the official Sheafs in Target:Matrix and they're not far off.

Back to the host...

Cheng's compass indicates the reference board for the pressure sensors which includes the simple toggle on/off switch for sections being actively patrolled. There are 4 sensors located on the team's planned approach route.

The host rolls no successes in its Security Value roll against Cheng's analyze meaning she gets her way with the system.

A moment's glance at the camera feeds reveals that the external ones are all mounted and panning across the manicured lawn. Additionally there are cameras on elevated poles at each corner of the compound's protective fence. Fortunately the system seems to be set up for only 9 camera feeds at any given time which means the system has a 10-second blind spot when certain feeds are not on the air, and then they switch. As always in such situations Cheng gets a chill, she is intimately aware that someone somewhere is looking at these feeds, looking right through her. As if she wasn't there...

Only one security cam covers the guardhouse on the main driveway where two guards are camped out inside away drinking coffee and safely away from the freezing rain. A third guard patrols the driveway outside in a full body security armor and an smg hanging from a sling on his shoulder. Barrier and tire spikes are visible in the rain under the stark searchlights mounted on the roof of the guardhouse.

Cheng's headware radio crackles somewhere else, "Pan to Jolly Roger, we're 2 minutes out and approaching the fence at position 1."
Kurukami
Two minutes is an eternity is the slowed time of cyberspace, but nevertheless having all the pieces in place beforehand will make the job much easier. The first thing to do, though, is check that the surveillance cameras on the path the outside runners hope to take is, and will be, clear of any roving security guards.

Next, she begins to set up video loops on the two exterior cameras nearest the runner's insertion point. (This presumes that they'll be going in directly between two of them, as per the plan the runner team discussed earlier. biggrin.gif I only hope that the segment we checked is out of line-of-sight of the main guard shack?) That'll give them a broad corridor through which they might get past the exterior fence unobserved. Presumably, each camera has about a ten-second pan cycle, so to properly deceive any watcher she'll need to capture ten seconds of relatively anonymous video (that is, without any distinguishing characteristics like a bird flying through). Nighttime in the rain, though, should be fairly straightforward to counterfeit assuming she can gain control of the cameras.

From there, things will likely progress quickly. She will need to disable any alarms on the exterior fence which might indicate a breach, as well as negate the current which normally would flow through it. That entails futzing with the feedback from it to show everything status quo. From there, the pressure sensors beneath the lawn will need to be be bollixed temporarily, then released back into the normal queue. At the same time, she'll need to temporarily loop the cameras inside the perimeter to show no signs of intrusion.

Once the team reaches the target building for the run, Cheng knows she'll likely need to pick any maglocks that might block access. At the same time, paranoid employers tend to place security cameras just inside such doors to record any usage, so not only will she need to open the lock she will also find it necessary to block any record of the door opening and provide faked video of the door at that period of time.

Continuing tasks will include the monitoring of interior surveillance to provide a heads-up of any potential security guard patrols; identification and bypass of any "trap" security measures like laser detection beams, pressure pads, or motion sensors; negation of security measures like knockout gas to be used against intruders (at least, unless she can turn such measures against the defenders); and so forth and so on.

I'll update this post later with the operations and rolls required.
Synner
Don't get too far ahead in case something goes wrong... not saying that it will, just saying that it might.

Also note the plan calls for an intrusion from one of the lateral fences and breaking the external maglock on the lateral cargo bay access door.
Kurukami
Oh, I'm not actually DOING that yet... just laying out for myself and others the course that I hope the run will take.
gknoy
(Off Topic Slightly)
I'm curious -- how far ahead is Kurukami's character from a starting character?? She's got things that are way out of the league of anything I could afford -- which leads me to believe that a starting decker would have a slim chance in hell of completing this run.

Also, Kurukami -- What is the programming option you are using on your attack utility? I think you mention "sneaky", but I don't see it in VR2. VR2 (Matrix 2.0 rules) lists a "Stealth" or "Skulk" option (which I think are the same thing - I need to check the Errata to be sure), but it adds to the program's effective rating -- which means that a rating 6 utility with stealth added is actually considered a rating 7+ utility (and only helps to reduce the tally count when you don't suppress a crashed IC -- and therefore is (IMO) both practically useless and almost offlimits to starting characters).

Is there a list someplace of more of these program options? The add-to-detection-factor thing you mention seems like it's a wiz thing to have; but does it add to the program's effective rating?

(Back on topic)
Thank you both (and the original decker too) for this thread - it's helped me see some of the nuances of matrix running that I had not notiuced when I read the rules. (No dodge? Simple action attacks? ouch! Sounds like Body is almost useless, and DF/Evasion/Sensors seem to take precedence.)

A question for Synner -- how far advanced should a decker be before he tackles a matrix-overwatch like mission? What sorts of runs should a starting character decker be able to do (even if they're a challenge)? Would Kurukami's decker have been able to avoid a lot of this IC and such if she'd been able to deck in earlier and plant a false set of authentication credentials (and therefore be a legit user this run)? How likely is it that would she have been able to make such a plant at an earlier date?

All these questions make me realize that it's an extremely good idea for deckers to do legwork beforehand, and even mini-runs to plant such. It also seems like it's almost impossible to make a non-otaku decker who can do anything useful without taking the million nuyen. (ick, million, frown.gif )
hobgoblin
you have 2 options, one is called stealth and are used on attack utils to make ice lesslikely to trigger nasty stuff on "death" whiel the sneak on is used for tils like analyze and this one adds to detection factor when the util is used.

oh and i think cheng is running a bit above what a starting char will be able to do as she is walking tru a pltg to get to her target and so on but she is not a ghost in the machine like fastjack or the smiling bandit smile.gif

matrix overwatch is a staple, it all depends on the target. a basic labsystem may run green-hard or orange-easy for a starter and be hooked straight to the matrix, thereby makeing the life of the decker easyer. he will just have to do some matrix legwork to locate it and when in will have to mess with the slaves (and maybe do a sweep of the files stored to look for some paydata if he feels lucky or crasy vegm.gif )

and takeing the mill is a baseline for the decker, you will want hte most hot deck the GM allow you to start with and utils to fill it with, mutch the sameway a samurai will burn the mill on cyber and weapons...
gknoy
You have 2 options, one is called stealth and are used on attack utils to make ice lesslikely to trigger nasty stuff on "death" whiel the sneak on is used for tils like analyze and this one adds to detection factor when the util is used.

What book has the Sneak option listed? I can't find it in VR2. =/

takeing the mill is a baseline for the decker, you will want hte most hot deck the GM allow you to start with and utils to fill it with, mutch the sameway a samurai will burn the mill on cyber and weapons

Dangit ... that pretty much kills my character. 650k == not enough. =( Time to hit the drawing board yet again.

Kurukami
QUOTE ("gknoy")
(Off Topic Slightly)
I'm curious -- how far ahead is Kurukami's character from a starting character??  She's got things that are way out of the league of anything I could afford -- which leads me to believe that a starting decker would have a slim chance in hell of completing this run.

Actually (as I glance at the sheet with her stats for this run on it), the stuff that she has isn't that far beyond the bounds of what would be acceptable for a starting decker. Let me quickly show what I've got listed on the sheet here:

QUOTE ("Kurukami")

Hacking Pool: 8 (5 + 3 provided by Math SPU level 3)

Matrix Initiative: 14+4d6 (Int 8 (base 6, +2 from cerebral booster 2 -- and I took the edge "Bonus Attribute Point - Intelligence" as a starting character), going with a pure DNI interface, gives me a base Matrix "Reaction" of 8 and Matrix Initiative of 1d6.  Since she's running with hot ASIST, that provides her +2 Reaction and +1d6 Initiative.  Additionally, she has Response Increase 2 on her deck, which comes standard on any Kraftwerk and provides +4 Reaction, +2d6 Initiative.)

Cyberdeck:  Renraku Kraftwerk-1 (which, by the way, falls into the starting availability of 8 or less)
MPCP-8 --> Bod 5, Evasion 6, Masking 8 ('cuz I like to be sneaky), Sensors 5.  Response Increase 2.  Hardening 4.  I/0 360.  Active memory 1350 (upgraded from 1000 base).  Storage memory 3000 (upgraded from 2000 base).

Overall, I've basically been playing her as without significant amounts of karma. The original page which has her details on it is here, about halfway down, posted on August 28 2003. Stuff that's not listed among her basic cyberware includes a headware radio and a bunch of other stuff which wasn't really relevant (she's a rigger/decker, and yes, I bought the reflex deactivator thingy that allows you to turn implants like wired reflexes and VCRs off). She's got no skill above 6 with the exception of her Decking concentration of Computers (which, at 7, is reachable by any starting character who chooses to do the same). Her Computer is 6, which admittedly I bought up with Karma, but it hasn't really entered into this run since all we've handled is the Decking side.

For Edges, she's got Cracker (Control) (costing 4 pts, and giving her a bonus die for all Control tests) and Bonus Attribute Point (Intelligence) (costing 2 pts).

QUOTE ("gknoy")
Also, Kurukami -- What is the programming option you are using on your attack utility?  I think you mention "sneaky", but I don't see it in VR2.  VR2 (Matrix 2.0 rules) lists a "Stealth" or "Skulk" option (which I think are the same thing - I need to check the Errata to be sure), but it adds to the program's effective rating -- which means that a rating 6 utility with stealth added is actually considered a rating 7+ utility (and only helps to reduce the tally count when you don't suppress a crashed IC -- and therefore is (IMO) both practically useless and almost offlimits to starting characters).

The option I've got on one of my Attack programs -- the one represented by a big wheel-lock pistol, like one from old pirate movies -- is One-Shot. It increases the design size of a program considerably, but reduces the actual size down to one-quarter what it normally is.

The option I wish I had is called Targetting -- it lowers your TN for attacks by 2.

My Analyze and Browse programs both have Sneak-2 added as options. That means that, whenever I use them for an operation, my Detection Factor is increased by 2 for that activity. And I may be mistaken, but from what I recall reading in Matrix adding program options only affects the size in Mps -- not the price, the actual rating, or the availability. Thus, programs with options are as far as I know available to starting deckers, as long as their actual ratings don't exceed 6. Admittedly, Analyze with Sneak-2 is quite pricy, since with a size of 300 Mp (at the rating 6 costs) it'll run 60,000 nuyen.gif , but Analyze is so widely used in systems operations it's damned useful.

All of these options are listed in the Matrix book. Virtual Realities 2 is a bit obsolete. smile.gif

QUOTE ("gknoy")
Is there a list someplace of more of these program options?  The add-to-detection-factor thing you mention seems like it's a wiz thing to have;  but does it add to the program's effective rating?

The options are all listed in Matrix, under the chapter which I believe is titled "Programming Utilities". I'm pretty sure that WizKids has republished it recently; I saw a copy on my friendly local gaming store's shelves just a week or two ago.

QUOTE ("gknoy")
(Back on topic)
Thank you both (and the original decker too) for this thread - it's helped me see some of the nuances of matrix running that I had not notiuced when I read the rules.  (No dodge?  Simple action attacks? ouch!  Sounds like Body is almost useless, and DF/Evasion/Sensors seem to take precedence.)

Not useless, but some of the IC one encounters on a serious run can be incredibly dangerous. Additionally, when one runs in Masking mode, one has to decrease one Persona rating to compensate -- and lowering Bod while sneaking around made more sense than lowering Evasion or Sensors.

QUOTE ("gknoy")
A question for Synner -- how far advanced should a decker be before he tackles a matrix-overwatch like mission?  What sorts of runs should a starting character decker be able to do (even if they're a challenge)?  Would Kurukami's decker have been able to avoid a lot of this IC and such if she'd been able to deck in earlier and plant a false set of authentication credentials (and therefore be a legit user this run)?  How likely is it that would she have been able to make such a plant at an earlier date?

It is entirely possible that she'd be able to avoid a lot of difficulty by setting up a validated account earlier. However, attempting to do so on a Red or Orange Host with high Security Ratings can be insanely difficult. Additionally, it is far harder to hack out a security or superuser account than a basic user account -- as in +6 or so to the TN in order to make yourself a superuser. But that's the kind of access you'll need to properly pull off a good Matrix overwatch in many cases.

QUOTE ("gknoy")
All these questions make me realize that it's an extremely good idea for deckers to do legwork beforehand, and even mini-runs to plant such.  It also seems like it's almost impossible to make a non-otaku decker who can do anything useful without taking the million nuyen. (ick, million,  frown.gif )

Yup, the million nuyen is pretty vital if you want a solid decker. Nonetheless, you can accomplish quite a bit with only a slightly jazzed MPCP-6 deck -- up the I/O and the active/storage memory and you have a useful IC-slicing tool, even though your MPCP won't be as impressive. But on the other hand, the book's MPCP-6 deck only runs 125,000 nuyen.gif , while the MPCP-8 runs 400,000 nuyen.gif .

Synner had actually asked me to tone down some of the utilities I was using to the levels only available to starting deckers. Additionally, I've been playing Cheng with only the Karma Pool available to a starting PC -- I used my one point from there to reroll something midway through the expedition into the chokepoint, and ever since I've had some critical times where things went badly that might've been corrected with a reroll.
Synner
I'm curious -- how far ahead is Kurukami's character from a starting character??  She's got things that are way out of the league of anything I could afford -- which leads me to believe that a starting decker would have a slim chance in hell of completing this run.

As she's laid out on page 5 of this thread Lady Cheng is basically a starting character using SR3 rules with (unstated) two assumptions:
a) the Rating 6 cap at chargen does not apply to a deck's MPCP.
b) Programs can be bought with Program Options (from the Matrix sb, page 82 and following) using the Option-modified Size to calculate price.

What is the programming option you are using on your attack utility?  I think you mention "sneaky", but I don't see it in VR2.  VR2 (Matrix 2.0 rules) lists a "Stealth" or "Skulk" option (which I think are the same thing - I need to check the Errata to be sure), <snip> Is there a list someplace of more of these program options?  The add-to-detection-factor thing you mention seems like it's a wiz thing to have;  but does it add to the program's effective rating?

Thsio should explain some of the confusion above. We are using the rules from Shadowrun 3rd Edition and the SR3 decker sourcebook Matrix (note: not the fabulous Target: Matrix setting sourcebook).

Several programs and their respective game mechanics have been revamped in 3rd Edition and the Matrix is easier to play in general, this run may seem to be taking a long time but it is mostly because we are explaining every test and discussing the interpretations of the rules. In truth Kurukami has only made about 10 System Operations so far (plus a couple of fast rounds of Cybercombat).

The Matrix sb offers more Program Options (Mods) than the VR books because some of them now have slightly different effects and/or work on different program types. For instance Matrix has a Sneak Option for Operational Utilities and a Stealth Option for Offensive Utilities.

Thank you both (and the original decker too) for this thread - it's helped me see some of the nuances of matrix running that I had not notiuced when I read the rules.  (No dodge?  Simple action attacks? ouch!  Sounds like Body is almost useless, and DF/Evasion/Sensors seem to take precedence.)

Aim to please.

Note -Sine there's no "dodge" without Bod you are going to be dead really fast. Cheng took a bad wound in part because she is only using a Bod 3. However DF is really the single most important factor in this type of run. If you're going for a fast snatch and grab however you might opt for a brute force route but most deckers will max everything they can.

how far advanced should a decker be before he tackles a matrix-overwatch like mission?  What sorts of runs should a starting character decker be able to do (even if they're a challenge)?

As I've said above Kurukami's character is essentially a starting character (as long as your GM approves those two precepts, and most of the ones I know will). As such I believe this would be a typical tough run perfectly within the reach of a starting character. At the start I'd avoid any system clocking in at Red-10 plus but that's about it.

Would Kurukami's decker have been able to avoid a lot of this IC and such if she'd been able to deck in earlier and plant a false set of authentication credentials (and therefore be a legit user this run)?  How likely is it that would she have been able to make such a plant at an earlier date?

Yes and no. We actually addressed this earlier in the thread. If you do a "recon" run and create a Legitimate User account (explained in SR3 p.226) using the Validate Account System Operation (unfortunately only detailed in Matrix p.102) you can avoid some trouble however you still gain Security Tally and you still trigger IC.

Legitimate User accounts will normally only save you from Probe or Scout IC which shouldn't become active if you "show" them a legitimate account when they're initially triggered. After that the IC will come after you whether you're a legal user or not if you've done something you shouldn't (what this means exactly is detailed on page 38 of the Matrix which explains the different levels of Account Privileges and what they entail. In SR3 Legitimate or Intruding status will also affect the actual Target numbers in cybercombat so its always a good idea to plant a false account during a recon run if you can.

All these questions make me realize that it's an extremely good idea for deckers to do legwork beforehand, and even mini-runs to plant such.

Yes, quite correct. Matrix and Target: Matrix go into this in quite some depth and provide numerous ideas for contacts and sources of info besides those in SR3 for the discerning decker. Getting any information on a target be it physical, astral or Matrix gives everyone involved an edge so legwork always pays. Deckers and Matrix-savvy runners have access to a wide variety of "online" sources as well as the regular databrokers and infomongers on the street.

It also seems like it's almost impossible to make a non-otaku decker who can do anything useful without taking the million nuyen. (ick, million,  frown.gif )

It's tough but you can make a passable decker for 400k or alternatively you can use the Build Point system from SR Companion, or if your GM allows it the Sum-of-10 method or BECKS v2.
gknoy
Thanks, guys =-D Last I had heard, the SR3 version of Matrix rules hadn't been published, I guess, and VR2 was the latest -- which means I was /wrong/. Now to go buy that book as soon as I possibly can, hehe!

QUOTE ("Kurukami")
(decking specialization)

The decking specialization sounds pretty useful, in this light. Did you find you had any troubles having only 5 as your base computer skill?

QUOTE ("Kurukami")
targeting on an attack util

How useful is that? Does a -2 TN help more than having two less power? (I mean, 4D vs 6D -- about 3 times easier to resist, I think, compared to the -2 TN's effectiveness in getting you more successes, right?)

QUOTE ("Synner")
It's tough but you can make a passable decker for 400k or alternatively you can use the Build Point system from SR Companion, or if your GM allows it the Sum-of-10 method or Becks

Synner -- I've been trying to use the points system with 650k; getting a /nice/ set of hardware (MPCP 6 limit tho smile.gif) isn't all that hard, it's the utilities that kill me. *laughs* Well, that and I wanted a shop for doing cooking/coding tasks. I suspect that the reason I have trouble getting high rating utils is that it's just the tradeoff I'm making when I try to make 650k decker (most of my noncritical ones are 3's, 4's and 5's).

I'm especially thankful for this example run (no, it doesn't seem too long, I LOVE the detail! VERY helpful) in that it showed me just how nasty tar pit can be. Especially with attack utils. Good reason to attack with a one-shot first, it seems. cool.gif I look forward to seeing how the rest of this pans out.

Kurukami
QUOTE ("gknoy")
Thanks, guys =-D  Last I had heard, the SR3 version of Matrix rules hadn't been published, I guess, and VR2 was the latest -- which means I was /wrong/.  Now to go buy that book as soon as I possibly can, hehe!

QUOTE ("Kurukami")
(decking specialization)

The decking specialization sounds pretty useful, in this light. Did you find you had any troubles having only 5 as your base computer skill?

To some degree, that can be troublesome. For example, if you plan for your character to program a great deal of his or her own utilities (which can save thousands upon thousands of nuyen, and all you really need for it is downtime), then the lowered Computer rating is what you use.

Unless, of course, you're like me, and you buy specializations in both Decking and Programming with Karma from the starting Computer rating. That's where having a mnemonic enhancer (from Man and Machine) comes in incredibly useful -- and particularly for all of the little knowledge skills that a programming decker absolutely needs to build utilities from scratch or upgrade ones that you have. The +1 to all Knowledge skills from having one at level 3 doesn't hurt a bit, either.

QUOTE ("gknoy")

QUOTE ("Kurukami")
targeting on an attack util

How useful is that? Does a -2 TN help more than having two less power? (I mean, 4D vs 6D -- about 3 times easier to resist, I think, compared to the -2 TN's effectiveness in getting you more successes, right?)

Actually, I think you misunderstand the details of the Targetting option. It only lowers the TN to strike an opposing icon; it doesn't lower the power. It does up the design size and actual size, but spirits know it can be worth it. For example, if you're on an Orange host (as Cheng is) and you have to fight something off, the difference in TN between a 3 and a 5 is tremendous.

QUOTE ("gknoy")

QUOTE ("Synner")
It's tough but you can make a passable decker for 400k or alternatively you can use the Build Point system from SR Companion, or if your GM allows it the Sum-of-10 method or Becks

Synner -- I've been trying to use the points system with 650k; getting a /nice/ set of hardware (MPCP 6 limit tho smile.gif) isn't all that hard, it's the utilities that kill me. *laughs* Well, that and I wanted a shop for doing cooking/coding tasks. I suspect that the reason I have trouble getting high rating utils is that it's just the tradeoff I'm making when I try to make 650k decker (most of my noncritical ones are 3's, 4's and 5's).

Yup, a lot of min-maxing has to go into decker design -- figuring out how much things will cost, what kind of things you're more likely to use (my big list is Analyze, Browse, Deception, Spoof, Read/Write, and Decrypt -- all of those should be at 6), and so forth. Sleaze can often be bought at an odd number, since Detection Factor is figured from (Detection + Masking) / 2, rounding up.

QUOTE ("gknoy")

I'm especially thankful for this example run (no, it doesn't seem too long, I LOVE the detail! VERY helpful) in that it showed me just how nasty tar pit can be.  Especially with attack utils.  Good reason to attack with a one-shot first, it seems. cool.gif  I look forward to seeing how the rest of this pans out.

Actually, that was pure chance. I went with that Attack first because it had D-level damage, not for any other reason. It could have just as easily gone the other way, and then I'd've been fighting off that spider-IC with a pair of one-shot Attack programs while evading furiously and waiting for my next round of "ammunition" to load through I/O.

Another nasty trick, which I'm not sure would work but which might, would be to set Tar Pit to hit Deception. Potentially, it might hit a decker trying to enter the system, stripping out their Deception and screwing their ability to get in... but a nastier version would be to load it with high-rating Blaster or Sparky, wait for a decker to try to get out of the system, and devour his Deception utility. Then sit back and watch him panic as the other IC closes in for dinner.

Of course, he could always just jack out. But that leaves one with Serious or Deadly Stun damage from dump shock... assuming it isn't Black IC.
Synner
QUOTE ("Kurukami")
Another nasty trick, which I'm not sure would work but which might, would be to set Tar Pit to hit Deception.  Potentially, it might hit a decker trying to enter the system, stripping out their Deception and screwing their ability to get in... but a nastier version would be to load it with high-rating Blaster or Sparky, wait for a decker to try to get out of the system, and devour his Deception utility.  Then sit back and watch him panic as the other IC closes in for dinner.

The former isn't really practical - and in fact doesn't really work that way - because Tar is programmed to nail a certain type of Utility not a specific Utility. It would take out any Operational Utility you used on the SAN including Analyze! Furthermore it would mean placing the IC upfront before even Probe has had a chance to verify the Icon's legitimacy.

The latter those is a very nasty trick and one I might be using in the future.
Kurukami
With those digital locales firmly set in her thoughts, she moves to the controls for the perimeter cameras and prepares to loop a cycle of video for each that is near the potential entry point for the others. From the displays she can make out, it should be easy to determine whether the cameras are static or panning. It'll be somewhat more difficult, but still possible, to digitally loop the inputs to display an "all-remains-well" image even as her teammates are approaching.

So, to accomplish this I need to perform an Edit Slave operation. That goes against the Slave subsystem, and uses the Spoof utility. At this point, it becomes clear that I didn't plan Cheng's utility load as well as I should have -- because the only Spoof she's carrying is a mere rating 3.

Therefore, I'm rolling my seven Decking dice, plus what Hacking Pool I add in (three dice in this case) against a nastily high TN -- most likely an 8 or greater. One question, though -- are the perimeter cameras each an individual slave which I need to Edit? I roll to set up the (primary) camera(s) to loop a innocuous video image and get 10, 9, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1. Hopefully that will be sufficient to garner two successes.

Edit Slave is a monitored operation. That means that, assuming I've succeeded in my test, I need to spend a Free Action at the beginning of each and every Initiative Pass to maintain it. If I don't, the operation automatically aborts.

(An alternative tactic that occurs to me now is to perform an Edit File operation to create the 10-second video loop datafile for the appropriate camera, and then Control Slave to have the security displays take their input not from the live camera feed but from the newly created datafile. However, Control Slave is also a monitored operation, so I'd gain nothing. On the other hand -- the security feeds might well be controlled by code. If I were to alter the file telling the feeds where to look for their input with another Edit File operation... hmm, that's an interesting possibility. Synner, what's your call on it?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012