Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Idiot's Guide To The Matrix Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Synner
Dashifen - Yes. Scramble IC is "different" from many other reactive IC in that it (SR3 page 228) can be programmed "to protect a specific component of a subsystem" (ie. a file in the Files subsystem) or "the entire subsystem" (as is the case above).

Many people simply assume that Scramble IC are only placed on Files or Files subsystems, but in truth they can be just as easily be placed on specific Access subsystems (as described above), Control, Index or Slave subsystems or individual components (ie. the office manager's hidden sec-camera that he uses to spy on the office pool and which is located in the Slave subsystem).

As to your other question, one reason you may want to save on Hacking Pool when doing any actions involving IC is that (unAnalyzed) IC may be trapped with Tar Pit or Tar Baby, and you may find yourself needing those Hacking Pool dice to use right away when you inadvertedly trigger it and it initiates an Opposed Test to crash your Utility.
Kurukami
Actually, that's a good point about the Access for the next host being a significant bit tougher. So, instead of rushing through things, I'll take my time to craft a better codebreaker, and take a full Turn on each task. That'll allow me to use my entire Hacking Pool for each.

Thus, I have an extra six dice to roll for the Decrypt Access, and an extra two dice to roll for the Logon attempt.

For the Decrypt, the extra six dice come up: 11, 8, 7, 3, 2, 1.

That adds to my current roll to give me a final roll of 11, 10, 9, 8, 8, 8, 7, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1.

For the Logon, the extra two dice come up: 5, 1.

That makes my final roll 13, 9, 7, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 1.

I sure hope that 5s are successes with Deception-6, but against a chokepoint they may not be. Hopefully those higher rolls will be enough to crack through.

Over to you, Synner.
Link
Something that's been mentioned in this topic previously and would best be covered in the present matrix overwatch run - to help clear it up for me if no one else smile.gif is matrix actions whilst not in combat, initiative and null operations.

In the previous matrix run the decker would roll initiative when IC turned up. However, in a matrix overwatch simultaneous with the real world, IC may turn up mid-initiative, with the GM having to resolve the PC's combat phases in order.

Also, the decker may have to perform null operations at some stage to maintain synchronicity with the real world runners.
Kurukami
It is somewhat surprising to me that, given my programs with the Sneak option, my DF is actually higher when analyzing or browsing than while performing a null operation.

Aha... looking at p. 218 of SR3, the Null Operation actually uses Deception as the utility against Control rating. Thus, obtaining Deception with a Sneak option would actually be quite worthwhile -- particularly since it would also help with Logon and Graceful Logoff operations as well, and everyone wants their DF as high as possible when attempting that.

Additionally, Null Operation is a Control roll -- which means that for Cheng, at least, there's an additional die to roll against the TN.

Fortunately, I probably wouldn't have to run a Null Op every single turn... rather, it would become necessary only over significant periods of time. Unless, of course, some sadistic GM decides he wants you to roll twenty Null Ops every minute of "game" time. vegm.gif
hobgoblin
hmm, every command in both sr3 and matrix have a combat action tued to it (some are fre, some are simple and some are complex). sr3 or matrix (i swear its sr3) contains info on calulating the numbr of actions a decker getswithout needing to roll initiative if combat is going on in the real world but not the matrix. as for handeling ic showing up in mid combat, just roll for initative and then remove as many passes as have allready gone by, simple and clean...
The White Dwarf
Youre correct, it does contain a generic "formula" for number of actions. I dont have the exact reference handy, I read it in passing. Iirc it was something like "2 matrix actions per intiative die" or "2 matrix actions for one physical action"; basically it was like matrix goes twice as fast as physical. So if the non-deckers are spending a combat turn, the decker gets two.
Disclaimer: thats an approximation of a rule I remember reading, and may resemble the actual rule in no way. Anyone know where it actually is? I know theres something like that in there somewhere.
Link
The non-combat actions rule - A decker gets a number of actions equal to the decker's reaction, augmented by response increase, divided by 10. Add 1 action for each extra initiative die beyond the first.

I see you blokes know the rules, I just think the decking example needs to cover these elements.
Synner
Matrix Overwatch Walkthrough
Picking up where we left off...

The (next) Host manages to roll 2 successes rolling Security rating (10) against Cheng's DF of 9 to oppose her attempt to Decrypt Access.

So, looking up through the virtual incense smoke she reads the coded pictograms above the elevator door clearly. After that it only takes a second of sorting through the keys and finding the one with the right combination pictogram. Lady Cheng chooses a keycard from her key range and presses it to the door sensor to kick off the Logon to Host operation. The system barely resists her invasive code which morphs into the appropriate Access protocol and opens the door into the waiting elevator.

In practical terms the Host rolled its Security Value (10) and came up with only one success against your Detection Factor (9), Cheng succeeds but her Tally goes up yet again.

Note - You will note that unlike the previous walkthrough I am not giving away the Host ACIFS Ratings, the Security Tally or the successes. This mimics what actually happens in games since you normally require Analyze Host tests on the appropriate Host to discover those subsystem ratings. This also means that the decker is unsure of how many successes he actually rolled. I am however saying how many successes the Host rolled, normally a GM would not and without that info a decker would find it difficult to calculate his Security Tally. Nasty, init?

Cheng steps into the elevator and the doors ping shut the ride seems to take a minute but the decker knows it's a sofisticated programming illusion, a nice bit of code designed to make the wageslaves feel more comfortable. What must be only a second later, the doors ping open onto what looks like a sterile-looking hospital floor. Numerous other doors open on to the corridor and a nurses' station sits a few meters ahead where the corridor you are on seems to branch into two others forming a Y shape. The nurses desk at the center of the Y looks crowded and several Icons in coloured labcoats and suits bustle around, walk off and or join the group.

Standing just off from the desk you can see the shape of a lumbering troll decked out with so many flashy cyberreplacements that he'd be a cyberzombie two times over if this were flesh and blood reality. His chromed and spiked horns glint evily as glowing red cybereyes track the Icons bustling to and fro around the counter.

Some Icons walk, others float and yet others seem to skate over the floor, moving briskly between the counter and different doors vanishing inside before you can catch a glimpse inside. Most carry Readertablets, some carry dark leather suitcases or sci-fi pocket secs on wrist gauntlets and the doorways they vanish into slide open and closed with a delicate whoossh. Each door has a small barcode and number on it.

Cheng notices several bright-coloured stripes drawn on the floors leading to and from the nurse's station down the different corridors and leading to different doors. It's also obvious that each of the other corridors ends in an elevator door just like the one Cheng is about to step through.

Your go...
Kurukami
QUOTE (Synner)
The (next) Host manages to roll 2 successes rolling Security rating (10) against Cheng's DF of 9 to oppose her attempt to Decrypt Access. So, looking up through the virtual incense smoke she reads the coded pictograms above the elevator door clearly. After that it only takes a second of sorting through the keys and finding the one with the right combination pictogram.

A Red-10 chokepoint? Damn! I'll have to be particularly careful... and since, just from what I can make out here, I've already picked up a security tally of 3, some nasty IC might already be waiting to jump me.

Lady Cheng chooses a keycard from her key range and presses it to the door sensor to kick off the Logon to Host operation. The system barely resists her invasive code which morphs into the appropriate Access protocol and opens the door into the waiting elevator.

In practical terms the Host rolled its Security Value (10) and came up with only one success against your Detection Factor (9), Cheng succeeds but her Tally goes up yet again.

Yup. Thus, as noted above, my tally is at least three, possibly more if I picked up anything on the Yamatetsu PLTG. If any IC has been triggered, it'll already be waiting for me on the far end...

Cheng steps into the elevator and the doors ping shut the ride seems to take a minute but the decker knows it's a sofisticated programming illusion, a nice bit of code designed to make the wageslaves feel more comfortable. What must be only a second later, the doors ping open onto what looks like a sterile-looking hospital floor. Numerous other doors open on to the corridor and a nurses' station sits a few meters ahead where the corridor you are on seems to branch into two others forming a Y shape. The nurses desk at the center of the Y looks crowded and several Icons in coloured labcoats and suits bustle around, walk off and or join the group.

Standing just off from the desk you can see the shape of a lumbering troll decked out with so many flashy cyberreplacements that he'd be a cyberzombie two times over if this were flesh and blood reality. His chromed and spiked horns glint evily as glowing red cybereyes track the Icons bustling to and fro around the counter.

And speaking of nasty IC waiting... vegm.gif

Some Icons walk, others float and yet others seem to skate over the floor, moving briskly between the counter and different doors vanishing inside before you can catch a glimpse inside. Most carry Readertablets, some carry dark leather suitcases or sci-fi pocket secs on wrist gauntlets and the doorways they vanish into slide open and closed with a delicate whoossh. Each door has a small barcode and number on it.

Very likely file directories or datastores within the Red host. Chances are that there'd be a cornucopia of valuable data waiting within, but I'm here to get through to the Snohomish host and do overwatch. I'll have to come back through sometime when I'm not already under contract and see what I might lift... smile.gif

On the other hand, said data would likely be buried under a glacier of IC -- that is, what little of it would actually be truly valuable rather than decoy information and faked-up files. Chokepoints are around to keep deckers away from valuable information, not to store it. That's what the hosts beyond the chokepoint are meant for, so that the big nasty Red host has a good chance to kill any intruders before they can get anywhere important.

Cheng notices several bright-coloured stripes drawn on the floors leading to and from the nurse's station down the different corridors and leading to different doors. It's also obvious that each of the other corridors ends in an elevator door just like the one Cheng is about to step through.

Following Yamatetsu's pattern of system architecture (using an elevator to access a host), those other elevators strike me as most likely to be links to other hosts -- hopefully including the one that I'm trying to sneak into.

Cheng steps off the transitory Logon elevator and listens to her Sleaze program's indicators so as to blend into the rush of icons as best she can. The troll's bloodied glare makes her decidedly nervous -- most likely it's either Scout IC, keeping an eye on the dataflow after a few warning flags went up with her logon, or (not necessarily as bad) a security decker. That icon seems the most dangerous and immediate potential obstacle, and she tosses a subtle code-query its way in the form of a smoky pictogram to determine just what it might be.

In game terms, Lady Cheng just used a free action to attempt an Analyze Icon operation against the large cyber-troll. Since that's a Control test, she gains an additional die to roll with her Decking skill. Since the Analyze utility she has is so sneaky, it's likely to be worth the risk to determine just how far up drek creek she might already be. smile.gif Since Analyze Icon allows a TN lessened by both Analyze (hers is rating 6) and Sensors (her persona's is 5), that means the TN will be lessened by 11 -- probably not too hard a proposition. She decides not to add any Hacking pool dice to this one, and rolls 10, 8, 5, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1. Hopefully, that should be at least four successes, and maybe five, and with her DF increased by two because of the Analyze's option the chances are that she'll get a good analysis of the icon in question.

The trick now, Cheng quickly deduces, is to find out which Access node disguised as an elevator will take her to the host she needs to infiltrate. Once again, she surreptitiously pulls out her rice-paper scroll to whisper a query to it: "Find me the access node for the Yamatetsu research facility in Snohomish." A single elevator/SAN might well lead to all of the appropriate hosts on the research facility's domain, including both the researchers' telecoms and computers as well as the security/surveillance systems. She looks hopefully upon the scroll as individual characters begin to sear the surface of the delicate paper.

With her Browse utility at a mere 6 (but just as sneaky as the Analyze), attempting a Locate Access Node operation on a Red-10 host will be a tough roll to make. The likelihood is that I'll need at least 6's with the benefit of my Browse to match the host's TN, so despite the risk of getting jumped while most of my l33t skills are busy trying to persuade the system I'm allowed to be here I will use the majority of my Hacking pool -- six dice -- to supplement Decking. That gives me a total of thirteen dice to roll, and I come up with -- ugh, an unimpressive total: 7, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1.

That seems unlikely to achieve my goal in a timely manner, and the longer I stick around this chokepoint the more likely I'll be to get nabbed by the heavy security. I'm presuming, in this case, that a 7 would not be enough for a success. Thus, I'll spend the point of Karma that every starting character has in his or her Karma pool to reroll all of my dice for that attempt. This time, I get a much better result -- 14, 11, 10, 9, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1. Hopefully, those rolls combined with my current DF of 11 should be enough to track down the information I need and set me on my path to getting past the chokepoint as quickly as possible.

Just out of curiosity, what color are each of the stripes on the floor?

Over to you, Synner.
Synner
Lady Cheng is confident and lucky, the GM rolled a 10 but no 11 (the decker's modified DF because of the Sneak option on the Analyze utility), even though the Analyze Icon operation is a Control subsystem op which is always necessarily one of the toughest to crack on a chokepoint Host, this is one of those easy operations even a newbie shouldn't be able to botch.

The small puff of Analyze smoke clears quickly and she can now make out VeritaSct_v10.2 (Scout IC - 10) tattooed on the troll's hulking chest. Since he doesn't seem to have been triggered its likely he's there for intimidation purposes. Feeling a little reassured Cheng turns back to the Browse Scroll.

In game terms she racked up 3 successes to the Host's zero (which the GM wouldn't say since it gives a ballpark for the Control rating).

A thin trail of pixels float away from the nurses' station, snaking between the bustling Icons, climbing on to the scroll and arranging themselves into the answer to the query Cheng had made: "Host 12 - Access 1x33yt". As Cheng reads this through the semi-transparent scroll she sees one of the lines on the floor light up all the way to the right hand elevator indicating the way for her.

Unfortunately as she watches the troll lumbers in front of her offering an outstretched cyberclaw for her system ID, the chrome shining evil and deadly with the light from some pseudo-lightsource.

On her reroll Cheng chalked up 3 net successes, but the Host rolled an 11. While this means Cheng's Locate Access Node System Operation worked, it increased her Security Tally just enough to trigger the Scout IC. The GM secretly makes a Sensor Test for the decker (SR3, page 209) against the IC rating (10) for the decker to notice that the IC has been triggered. With Sensor of only 5 Cheng is lucky to notice the IC with 1 success. If she had failed the test, the troll/Scout IC would have 'tagged' her without her knowing instead of moving to block her her.

Note - In this case the aggressive looking IC exploits the metaphor to trick the decker. Most deckers will assume that if the troll hasn't attacked, then it hasn't been triggered, when in fact it may well have become active and tagged him - after all, that's the true function of Scout IC.

Over to you Kurukami...
hobgoblin
and drek just hit the powersupply!

run cheng RUN!
Synner
This is exactly why chokepoint Hosts are a nasty security feature. Cheng is up against Scout IC and she hasn't even hit the Host she wants yet! Plus when she does move on she gets to keep the Security Tally, she's already carrying because this is a PLTG.

Note for Newbies - this is one Very Good Reason to make an onsite infiltration and hack when possible. You skip all the flak on the way in and only have to contend with the stuff in the Host you want. Of course this isn't really an option if you're on Overwatch since you can only get into Overwatch mode after the insertion and by then half the damage may already be done.
Kurukami
In this situation, the Scout IC could be quite nasty if I allow it to get a grip on me. The trick in situations just like these is -- DON'T PANIC!!! Remember your basic bag of tricks, the stuff that every decker has access to regardless of what utilities you've got loaded. Combat maneuvers!

I pray you, ancestors, may the Cloaking code of Hong Kong's Silicon Alchemists not fail me now... Cheng smiles benignly up at the massive figure bulking above her, offering up a cupped left hand as her other hand flicks a small grey capsule at the floor. A large cloud of smoke instantly erupts near her feet with a sharp bang, enveloping her and a few nearby icons. She attempts to use the cover of the noise and visual distraction to slip behind and among the other icons travelling through the node, and her greatcoat shifts color so as to more closely resemble the icons she's dodging past.

In game terms, what I'm going to try to do is Evade Detection -- match Cheng's Evasion (6) against the host's Security Rating (10) in a contested roll, modified by her Cloak utility (rating 5). Killing the IC is a dicey proposition at best, if you'll excuse the pun -- I need 6's to hit it in cybercombat, and it needs 3's to hit me. Proactive Scout IC doesn't actually do damage, but it does add to the successes of anything that may load into the node while it's upping my Security Tally. If I do manage to kill it with my one-shot Attack program, I either sacrifice a point of DF or my security tally goes up by the IC's rating: 10! On a Red host, that would almost certainly spell an unpleasant death.

Evasion, in this situation (no heavy attack programs readily on hand) is my best hope. Until the IC relocates my position in the node (a process which will take a number of Combat Turns equal to the number of net successes I get on this test), it can't affect me. I will roll six dice (Cheng's Evasion rating) against a TN of 10 (the host's Security rating) minus my Cloak utility's rating of 5 -- so I'll need 5s on my dice to successfully avoid it. The host will roll ten dice against a TN of Cheng's Evasion rating -- 6. Since this isn't a System Test, Scout grants the host no additional dice to roll against Cheng's DF. I presume my Hacking pool hasn't refreshed yet, so I'll only be able to add two dice from it to my combat maneuver roll. It'll be a tough trick to pull off, but Cheng gets a good roll: 16, 7, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2.

Three successes -- will it be enough for Cheng to duck away from the Scout IC and make a quiet run for the target Host's SAN? I still have a Simple Action left, so if it manages to block my first attempt as I dodge right I'll most likely double back and try again.

Oh, and should I need it in determining how many actions I might take in a single Cybercombat Turn after I (oh please oh please) evade successfully, my Matrix Initiative is 14 + 4d6 -- and I roll 6, 5, 5, 2, for a total Initiative of 32.

Your move, Synner.

(Note to self... upgrade Cloak utility ASAP before running through another Red-Hard host.... ork.gif )
Synner
Initiative turns out to be important since Evading Detection is a Combat Maneuver (and technically only available after you engage in cybercombat. This is really quite dangerous because all IC on a Red Host are nasty fraggers - which translates to being really fast in combat (4D6 + IC rating, SR3 page 223). The good news is that Hacking Pool refreshes at the beginning of combat (roll the extra dice and I'll edit the Turns below accordingly).

However, Cheng gets lucky again, the Host only rolls 25 for the IC's Initiative which allows her to go first and try to Evade Detection at 32. Cheng throws the digital smokebomb and jinks to the side. The Host rolls it's end of the Opposed Test (Security Rating 10 vs Cheng's Evasion 6) and only gets one success. This lowers Cheng's net successes to two, but means she's bought 2 full Combat Turns worth of actions while the Scout IC tries to reacquire its target.

The menacing cybertroll circles round in combat posture trying to find Cheng while her Persona dodges through the other Icons milling about near the nurse's station and in the real world the decker barely feels the cold sweat trickle down her neck and thinks about her next move.

Your luck is holding, what next?
Kurukami
Thankfully, evading gives me a number of Combat Turns free of targetting equal to the net successes... and at four complex actions per combat turn, Cheng should hopefully be able to make her way over to the desired access point before the IC-troll recovers from my flash-bang and reacquires her. First things first...

Ducking and dodging through the press of icons, Cheng quickly slips down the indicated corridor towards the elevator SAN. She can hear the troll's puzzled growl from behind her as it swipes through the smoke, expecting to get a grip on the target that was just right in front of it. It's only a matter of time before it turns around and manages to spot me in this press... best make use of it while I can. She dekes around the node's virtual corner and slips towards the elevator SAN. Now if it were up to me, I'd have a few blocks of IC protecting any egress from this fun little playground.

So, Cheng managed to give the cyber-troll the slip, and now she's approaching the SAN she wants to get inside of. Her first Simple Action of this combat pass was to Evade Detection. Now, as she's approaching the SAN she wants, she'll need to determine whether or not the Access to it has been Scrambled.

Cheng reaches into her greatcoat to pull out the widely-utilized incense stick, blowing it to life frantically and painting an analysis smoke-rune in the direction of the SAN doorway. The rune streaks towards the elevator to perform its inquiry, begins its transformation, and then swoops back to meet Cheng en route.

Since my Hacking Pool won't refresh until the beginning of my next Combat Turn, I'll have to use it sparingly. So far I've used only two dice in my Evasion attempt, leaving six dice available for my needs. Now, from what I've inferred via Synner's comments, the Access system in this host has a rating of no greater than 15. However, when all I've got is Analyze-6, I'll still most likely need 9's to not be blocked by the host's verification routines. With that in mind, I'll put three dice from my Hacking Pool to add to my Decking, giving me ten dice to roll against the Host with my sneaky Analyze.

Additionally, it should be noted that Hosts tend to load on multiples of the same Tally number. From what I can guess from Synner's description (which GMs might or might not reveal), the Scout IC popped up when my Tally hit 4. If I can get through the SAN before the system turns up four more successes against me (in any combination), I can avoid any further IC entanglements and hopefully emerge on the Snohomish host without having any IC laying in wait for me.

Cheng rolls, and... ouch. 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1. Nothing even remotely near 9. At a glance, the Host will block my attempt -- but the question now is, was Cheng noticeable enough while making the attempt to give the Scout a heads-up as to her location?

On the other hand... when logging on from the previous PLTG to this chokepoint, my Access TN was determined by the target Host's rating. Thus, this next link in the chain could be easier to manipulate than the one I'm standing on right now. I have my doubts that a 5 will be enough to sneak my code-query in, but who knows? I might well get lucky in that regard.

Over to you, Synner.
Synner
The Analyze rune floats back to Cheng and bursts in a blue grey cloud. A faint voice whispers in her ear, "Query failed. Please insert specific address."

The Analyze failed. The system rolled 2 successes using its Security Value against the deckers DF against the decker's 0 successes.

As she closes on the elevator Lady Cheng notices there is a keypad besides the sliding doors, probably to insert the SAN address. The elevator must represent a link to multiple systems. Some might be Scrambled, others not, depending on which address you insert. Looking round Cheng confirms the smokey tendrils of her Evasion code is still cloying to the troll, confounding his targeting.

Chose your move wisely...
Kurukami
Uh-oh. Bloody hell. Glancing over her shoulder, Cheng sees the IC-troll peer in her direction through the fading remnants of the smoke-Cloak. It'll be able to reacquire her within a few fractions of a second, and then ... well, best not to dwell on that for too long.

As quickly as she can, she manipulates the keypad to set up access to the proper Host. What was that code? Host 12 - Access 1x33yt? Yes, that was it. She primes the keypad with the appropriate SAN address and hits the "Go" button, hoping that the SAN activates and allows her to log on before her sensorium is forced to absorb a few megapulses of biofeedback virus. A quick inhalation of smoke from the incense generates another cloud of lock-persuading tools, which immediately begin to pry at the elevator's doors.

In the background, over the hospital's PA system, she can hear the faintly irritating strains of muzak adapted from some obscure twentieth-century band -- Live and Let Die, by Guns and Daisies, wasn't it? She blanks the irrelevant thought from her head and concentrates on pulling up the SAN.

So... game-wise, for my second of four Complex Actions this Combat Turn (which goes off during the second pass at an effective Initiative of 22), I'm going to hope that I can persuade the SAN to allow me to Logon to Host. Now, metagaming, I know that since the PLTG rolled two successes against my DF (must've been a damned good roll to get two 11's!) not only is my Tally at a minimum of 6, my lead time away from the Scout IC has been wiped out. It'll reacquire me at the end of this Combat Turn, which'll make life all manner of unpleasant. I'll throw an extra Hacking Pool die into my attempt to Logon, and pray that I roll well enough to get past this chokepoint before it nails me to the wall. The dice come up 10, 8, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1.

That should be enough for one success, possibly two if the Access rating of the target Host is significantly lower than the chokepoints. Here's hoping I don't see something just as nasty waiting for me on the other end of that SAN...
Synner
Apologies for the delay but I've just had a small family tragedy and I'm really not clear headed enough to pick this up today. I'll be back tomorrow evening at the latest though.
SugarDog
I wanted to thank ou guys for doing this thread. As a newbie SR player (and GM), this has been extremely helpful. Matrix stuff has been by far the most daunting subsection of the SR ruleset to get into, but it also seems that every run we've done so far would have benfitted greatly from the presence of a decker. This thread has made it so now I actually sort of understand both MAtrix interaction and host design. It's going to be a contest now to see who can get their character killed the fastest so they can make a decker smile.gif

Matrix virgins of the world unite and pay homage!! notworthy.gif
Synner
SugarDog - Thanks for the praise. It's for people like you that we started the thread in the first place and I really hope it helps people overcome some of the problems with the Matrix. The key to overcoming the most common difficulties people encounter when trying to play Matrix runs is preparation on the part of both the GM (rules and iconography) and the player (rules) . I can't stress this enough. Having pages 162 thru 167 of the Matrix at hand as crib sheets is invaluable when you're new to the rules.

You may also find the Hosts'R'Us thread interesting since it showcases some sample Host iconography breakdowns as well as the usual ratings (including the "Office Host" iconography for the first run walkthough in this thread).
Solidcobra
now, oh thou great lord and master of all things matrix (synner)..... may i, a humble matrix newbie ask you a question? What kind of tragedy? "My dog got ran over"?, "My family got ran over"?, "My aunt is coming to live in my room"?, "My granny is coming and staying overnight"?

what kind?
Synner
Solidcobra- Despite your rather flippant tone, and for the benefit of those who've asked privately (btw thanks all); the Persian cat that's been the family pet for five years now, fell from an 11-storey window and was admitted in critical condition to a pet hospital yesterday at noon. While some people may not be as sensitive to that sort of accident befalling a pet, my companion and I are particularly attached to this cat for a number of sentimental and personal reasons and we were/are quite shaken by his condition.
Synner
Kurukami - Since we're still counting time within the original combat turn that you Evaded Detection, you've actually still got 2 Action Phases (12 and 2) after the current one in this Turn and 2 full Turns after that, before the Scout reacquires Cheng (it lost her at 32, you've just made your actions at 22 so...).

So back to the action...

Looking over her shoulder for possible pursuit, Cheng runs the keycard her Access-breaker produces through the slot in the keypad and sighs with relief as the elevator doors ping open.

Cheng rolled her Computer skill (6 dice) plus Hacking Pool (1 die) against a target number equal to the new Host's Access Rating minus the rating of his Deception Utility (6) and got two successes. The (new) Host on the other hand scored one success against the decker's Detection Factor. Fortunately for Cheng all she needs is one success for the Logon to Host operation to work. Unfortunately this also adds another point to her Security Tally.

Cheng steps inside the elevator and the doors close on the image of the cybertroll Scout still trying to fight his way free of the smoke bomb code and locate the rogue Persona.

The elevator drops what feels like several floors and quickly shudders to a stop. The doors whoosh open with the usual ping and open on a clinically clean and empty corridor that leads to double doors like those in a hospital ward. Stenciled on the doors are the letters YCAP, acronym for the Yamatetsu Advanced Cognition Program (the labs the team was meant to hit). As Cheng steps past, the elevator doors shut and she finds the corridor is shorter than it originally seemed, so much so that she can see a scrubbing room through the glass segments of the swinging double YCAP doors, several icons are obviously moving around beyond the doors. No obvious IC lies in wait and her Persona realtime display indicates she has a 10 minute lead on the ground team.

Important Note - Remember however that Cheng has arrived here with all the Security Tally she acumulated on the PLTG so far. This means that if she had, for example, an accumulated Security Tally of 9 she would activate all the IC present on this Host's Security Sheaf up to and including Step 9.

Your move, Kurukami
Dashifen
Interjecting a question:

Constructs. They are a "combination" of forms of IC to add the special little twist to the security of a host. I understand how they are created and how they work, but I'm not sure about it how much to add to the security tally if they are crashed without supressing them. For example, you have a construct { killer (9) sparky (6) } and the crack Decker PCMCIA has beaten it in combat. She opts not to suppress it ... what's added to the tally? Is it 9, 6, 7 (the average), 15 eek.gif or is it the frame core size of the construct?

Thanks!

-- Dashifen --
hobgoblin
i dont have my books at hand but i belvie that the contruct have a max level set and that is used to raise the tally (it basicly is one icon that have the functions of more then one IC system). remeber that hte contruct have one damage track, kill it and you kill all the IC it holds...
Kurukami
Whew, back at last! I had just gotten my home network set up and then my cable provider dropped offline for a day... frown.gif

Anyways. Synner, a quick question before I jump back into the action. Under the description for Evade Detection (p 224, SR3), it indicates that though Evade gets you away from the attentions of IC for a number of turns equal to the net successes you roll,
... This time is shortened by 1 turn for each point added to the icon's security tally during the period.  The IC program shows up at the end of the last turn of the evasion period, ready for the Initiative step in the next Combat turn.

Thus, I may be in significantly more danger than we had thought, given that the Decrypt Access operation got two successes against my first attempt.

Or are you playing it that the Decrypt only raised the potential Security Tally on the target host, rather than on this one?

(edit) Aha... I see that's become an obsolete question, since my Logon to Host evidently worked. Hmmm... what to do, what to do...
Dashifen
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i dont have my books at hand but i belvie that the contruct have a max level set and that is used to raise the tally (it basicly is one icon that have the functions of more then one IC system). remeber that hte contruct have one damage track, kill it and you kill all the IC it holds...

That's what I'm leaning toward as well. Gads! that could suck concidering I've seen some randomly generated constructs with a rating of 20 (viable concidering the rules for their generation). Better suppress those bad boys or you just triggered a number of steps!!

-- Dashifen --
Kurukami
QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 11 2003, 08:49 AM)
The elevator drops what feels like several floors and quickly shudders to a stop. The doors whoosh open with the usual ping and open on a clinically clean and empty corridor that leads to double doors like those in a hospital ward. Stenciled on the doors are the letters YCAP, acronym for the Yamatetsu Advanced Cognition Program (the labs the team was meant to hit). As Cheng steps past, the elevator doors shut and she finds the corridor is shorter than it originally seemed, so much so that she can see a scrubbing room through the glass segments of the swinging double YCAP doors, several icons are obviously moving around beyond the doors. No obvious IC lies in wait and her Persona realtime display indicates she has a 10 minute lead on the ground team.

Cheng peers nervously out of the transit elevator, concerned by what might be waiting in-system. Just how many flags did that chokepoint raise before she could get past it? She steps off the elevator and over to one side, quietly pulling the incense-stick from its pocket and sketching an inquiring pictogram. The first thing that must be done is deterrmine the current mission status by analyzing this node's security.

Then, realizing only after all this time that she left the programs from her last datasteal loaded into her deck, she quickly swaps out her Defuse utility in order to load up Commlink and Spoof.
Note however that Cheng has arrived here with all the Security Tally she acumulated on the PLTG so far.

Important Note - This means that if she had, for example, an accumulated Security Tally of 9 she would activate all the IC present on this Host's Security Sheaf up to and including Step 9.

That being the case, the first Simple action I'm going to attempt on this host is a quick Analyze Security operation.

Analyze Security is a Control op which will allow me, assuming I succeed, to know what the host's current Security Rating is, my tally on it, and the host's alert status. Cheng has the Cracker edge (specializing in Control operations), so she gains the additional die. 7 dice from her Decking specialization, plus 1 from the Cracker edge, plus 1 from the Hacking Pool for good luck. The TN for the test is based off of the Control rating on this host, lessened by my Analyze utility by 6. I roll and result in -- frag me, what a roll! -- 11. 9. 9. 8. 7. 4. 3. 2. 1. ork.gif And of course the Analyze program is as sneaky as ever, boosting my DF to 11.

("Yes, but this one goes to 11..." </end Spinal Tap joke> biggrin.gif )

The second Simple action I do is swap out a utility that likely wouldn't help Cheng much now that she's into her target host -- Defuse-6 (72 Mp). Commlink-6 (36 Mp), which allows comcalls and communication, will be important to communicate with her team. Spoof-3 (27 Mp) will be important because it allows me to more easily monitor and control various Slave devices -- like security cameras and maglocked doors. Using it, I can help get my team in and out stealthily.

The two utilities I'm subbing in are clearly less than my Defuse, so I know that I'll have enough Active memory available. I'm only uploading 63 Mp of code to my online icon, which takes no system test, so my I/O speed of 360 should blow through that in no time at all.

Yer up t' bat, Synner.
hobgoblin
just for the discussion of it, from what i read about the comlink util it seems it can only be used on RTGs...
Kurukami
Hmmm... interesting, good point. What utility, then, would a decker use to communicate with people via, for example, their telecoms and/or phones?

(For those who have the novel, I'm thinking of FastJack communicating with Rafael and his team in Free Fall, Tom Dowd's short story within the "Into the Shadows" anthology.)
Drain Brain
I'd just like to offer up my praise to Synner and the gang for this thread. As a GM I have always been... erm... intimidated by the matrix rules. This thread has made sense of them to me - so much so in fact that I have just ordered "Matrix" over the internet...

I know that others have already praised you all, but after spending my entire day here at work and having read this entire thread, the entire hosts thread and the original Guide thread too, I feel the need to add my bit so you know you are appreciated.

Just so y'all know, then, "We're not worthy... we're scum." and you are a god.

And as Raygun is to firearms, I dub thee, Synner, the "Prince of the 'Trix."

And I'm sorry to hear about your moggie. I have six of my own - I had seven but I ran one over (long story) and I was guilt ridden for weeks. I empathise.
Kurukami
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
And as Raygun is to firearms, I dub thee, Synner, the "Prince of the 'Trix."

Heh... then can I get a commission as "Privateer of the 'Trix", so as to go forth doing the work of Synner as "duty" to my liege? ork.gif
Drain Brain
"Knight" maybe... no - "Paladin" since that'd fit with the elven theme of Princedom!

Oh crap - just realised I'm wasting your thread-space...

back to the topic... sorry...

over to you, Synner

(always wanted to do that...)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kurukami)
Hmmm... interesting, good point. What utility, then, would a decker use to communicate with people via, for example, their telecoms and/or phones?

(For those who have the novel, I'm thinking of FastJack communicating with Rafael and his team in Free Fall, Tom Dowd's short story within the "Into the Shadows" anthology.)

not a problem, make the call while in a rtg and keep the line open smile.gif

i guess most overlook the little requirement put up in the description of the comlink util.

allso, in my view you can still use say a headphone or radio (or any object controlled by DNI) while jacked in (atleast with a transducer but then i have allways seen the headphone/radio as being allready equiped with one just for the simplicity of it).

you still take the +8 (if the GM enforces it) while activly communicating with the real world tho, no matter what you use...
TinkerGnome
Easier still, hook the phone/whatever up to one of the ports on your deck. A conversation done that way shouldn't be affected by your RAS and just give you that initative penalty for talking to the real world.
Kurukami
Good points, both of you. However, I think that the transducer should definitely eliminate the +8 TN modifier -- after all, you're not interacting with your real body, you're just thinking what you want to transmit and it is so.

Which could lead to some decidedly interesting subconscious rants if the decker is, hmmm, "chemically imbalanced" at the time of the run... ork.gif
Drain Brain
However I think that there should be some penalty for communicating between the matrix and the real world - it seems from all that I've read and construed from the way the rules work that there is some perceptual difference between the two realities. If the Deckers are getting multiple actions per combat turn (or whatever) they are doing everything faster. Regardless of whether they actually speak or they "think" their words, they'll be doing that faster too. It's difficult to slow down your train of thought for someonewho's much slower than you...
TinkerGnome
There is an initative penalty the decker has to take for slowing down enough to communicate with the real world. I can't find it in SR3, so it must be in Matrix.
Kurukami
Actually, it's right in SR3 on page 223. Under Initiative and the Physical World,
If a decker is engaged in direct communication with the physical world via voice, print, datascreen, and so on, he loses 1d6 of Initiative until he drops the communications link.  This penalty does not apply to communications with a meathead via hitcher electrodes, nor does it apply to users with tortoises.

Interestingly, there's no note of penalties there. However, in the Matrix rulebook, we do have some details under Real World Interaction, on page 19:
Acting in the physical world while an RAS override is active is quite difficult.  Apply a +8 modifier to all physical actions and Perception Tests while affected by an RAS override.  Interacting with the real world will also inhibit a user's speed in the Matrix (see Initiative and the Physical World, p. 223, SR3).

Looks as though you'll lose a bit of Initiative for communicating, but there's no actual penalty for Matrix actions if you're using a transducer since that is a wholly mental action. The +8 penalty is only for physical actions -- all that happens in the Matrix is the Initiative loss, and there doesn't seem to be any modifier for actions taken solely on the silicon side.
Synner
All right, I'm back from an extended weekend. Before I get back into the run let's see if I can address some of the backlog.

Dashifen - Personally when crashing IC Constructs, I use the Core Rating (rather than the multpliers) for the step increment it causes if unsurpressed.

Drain Brain - Thanks, it's always nice to know this thread has helped someone out there.

Regarding the commlink discussion - Kurukami suggested the solution I normally use. The decker either makes a headphone call or has a encrypted headlink radio which he can use via a transducer (I'm unsure if a router is enough) since this is purely mental activity and is not subject to the RAS override. I also allow them to plug communications devices such as telecoms and phones into their decks as Tinkergnome suggests and operate those as normal via DNI control.
Synner
Kurukami - Since I gave no indication that the SAN link to the new Host was Scrambled (I normally make the encryption 'visible' to anyone without the appropriate passwords), I assumed you were going for a Logon to Host operation straight away. Regardless, the Security Tally for this operation would have affected both Hosts since they're on the same PLTG.

And now on with the show...

The YCAP Host opposes Cheng's Analyse Security attempt, rolling it's Security Rating against the decker's Sneak-enhanced Analyze Utility (DF 11), getting two successes (this may seem inordinately high, but read on).

Despite the hard code, Cheng faith and confidence in her own software and hack skills pays off, the smoky incense cloud resolves into the information she asked for - an "Orange Ten" pictogram takes shape (pretty self-evident), followed by the numeral 10 (Security Tally). However a swarm of hightech bee-shaped Scouter10.3 microdrone icons fade into view, hovering over the double doorway as the Analyze concludes. Cheng has some tough choices to make as the Swap operation concludes.

For those who have difficulty understanding what just happened, here's the explanation with some of the secret stuff the GM hasn't told the player:

When Cheng arrived at the YCAP Host she was already carrying a Security Tally of 7 on the Yamatetsu PLTG. This was enough to trigger the Probe IC at step 4 of the new Host's Security Sheaf. However, Probe is Reactive IC which means it just sits there invisibly ruining your life if you don't notice it. Unfortunately for the decker, the GM made the secret Sensor (5) Test for noticing Triggered IC (SR3 page 209) and Cheng failed to generate any successes against the Probe IC rating of 9, meaning the IC remained undetected.

Meanwhile suspicious Cheng decides to perform an Analyze Security System Operation which though successful, pushed her Tally up a further 3 steps to 10 - partially because of the extra 9 dice the Probe adds to against System Tests (SR3 page 228) for the purpose of increasing Security Tally only- activating the Scout IC at step 8. Scout is also Reactive IC similar to Probe in operation. So while Cheng is retrieving her Analyze Security results - telling her she is on an Orange-10 Host and that she has a current Security Tally of 10 (already counting the Host's successes opposing the Analyze Security operation) - the GM makes another secret Sensor (5) Test against the Scout IC rating (10) for her to notice the second Triggered IC. This time Cheng gets lucky and racks up two successes (which tells her she's triggered IC, especifically Scout IC).

Note - I assume from the rules that the information acquired in the various Analyze type System Operations is staggered by the number of successes not unlike Legwork.
Kurukami
Hells, Orange-10? eek.gif I see this is going to be one of those seriously challenging runs... and here I am without the best of utilities prepared in my selection of tools.

So, first, a question: when one Evades Detection, does that maneuver out of the way of all IC currently looking at the decker, or simply of those that the decker has detected, or only one? It seems likely that the middlemost choice is the correct one, since IC the decker hasn't yet located would be hidden in background noise... and therefore, the character wouldn't know to avoid particular places it might already be eyeing.

Regardless, in this case Evading probably wouldn't be my best option. Cheng isn't here for a quick in-and-out datasteal, or moving through the host en route to a juicier target on another system -- she's going to be in-host for a good long while, providing cover for her team. That means that I must find a way to eliminate the IC, so as to ensure that I can actually perform my duties.

Given that, a Position-Attack maneuver would be the best choice -- if I succeed in it, I can either reduce the TN for my attack or increase the Power of said attack. The attack program I plan to use is already going to inflict D damage (assuming it hits), so additional successes wouldn't be too useful given that the Matrix rules have no "overdamage" like physical combat does. Thus, I'll make my Evasion roll in the hopes of getting the best striking vector that I can manage.

Cheng, seeing the swarm flit into the corridor, realizes all this in a fraction of a second, slips into cybercombat-time, and pulls the wheel-lock pistol from her sash with her left hand. Her right flicks another smoke-capsule at the host's "ceiling" as she dances backwards to what she judges as the best spot to fire from, and she extends the pistol towards where she anticipates the swarm will move to avoid the cloaking smoke-code. The blackpowder weapon, with its maw sculpted into the form of a dragon's head, is already primed and prepared.

[ Cheng's about to attempt a Position Attack maneuver. This, like all combat maneuvers which can be performed in the Matrix, matches the decker's Evasion rating against the Security Value of the Host (or the Sensors rating of an opposing decker). Cheng needs to roll a number of dice equal to the deck's Evasion rating (6) against a TN of (Security Value [10] - Cloak utility [5]), or 5. At the same time, the Host rolls its Security Rating (10) against a TN of 6. The roll that gets the most successes gets to apply those for its next combat action against the opponent. Naturally, you get to add Hacking Pool dice to the test if you so desire.

Here, I'm adding three of my eight dice for the test -- that'll give Cheng nine dice to roll against the TN of 5, which hopefully should grant me more successes than the Host. If I fail, then things will rapidly become much worse for Cheng. I roll 9, 7, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1 -- enough for three successes. But will that be enough to up the Damage code on the attack by a powerful amount? ]

As the IC swarm swoops around the edges of the smoke-cloud, Cheng points the weapon at the central code-cluster and quickly pulls the trigger. Codestrings hover in the forefront of her thoughts, ready to lessen the security reaction to the destruction of its IC. A gout of smoke roars forth as the pistol fires --

[ Game aside: So, at the beginning of cybercombat here on this new system, Cheng rolls her Initiative -- 5, 3, 2, 1. That score of 11 adds to her Matrix Reaction of 14 to give her a final Initiative of 25 -- enough for three Combat passes.

Cheng needs 5's to hit the IC on this system, because it's an Orange host and it is a Legitimate icon. (See Resolving Attacks, p. 226 in SR3.) The Attack utility she's using is Attack-6D, with the one-shot option. Under normal circumstances, looking back at my posts, I would only have one die available -- having used seven of my eight dice in evading the Scout-IC on the chokepoint host, attempting to analyze the Access system on this target host from the chokepoint, logging on to this host, and analyzing its security. However, since I left cybercombat when I got past the chokepoint, and then re-entered it here on this new host, I now have access to my entire Hacking Pool again.

If the GM is nice, he'll allow me (presuming I kill the IC) to use a die from my Hacking Pool to suppress the Security Tally rise from the IC's destruction, rather than lower my DF by one for that purpose. That optional rule is mentioned on p. 26 of the Matrix rules. Obviously, I can't use a die to suppress the IC if I've already rolled it with my Attack test.

However, since I do have most of my Hacking Pool at my fingertips for this situation (I used three of my dice to add to my Position Attack maneuver), I'll use the basic Attack program and add a die from the Hacking Pool. I'm playing this attack strictly by the book rules -- such that you roll the Attack utility's rating in dice, plus any Hacking Pool you'd care to contribute, against the target icon's TN. Cheng rolls the six dice granted by the Attack utility and the one from my Pool in an attempt to get the 5's she needs to strike the Scout IC, and gets 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1. Not bad at all -- four successes, so she hits. Strictly by the book, that's a hit inflicting a regular Deadly "wound", which can be lowered to a Serious if the IC rolls two successes on its resistance roll. Since the IC has no Hacking Pool with which to improvise a defense (a possibility mentioned in the Matrix rulebook on p. 122), it has no other way to limit the damage from Cheng's Attack program. Cheng, by the way, is holding back some Hacking Pool on the off chance that the nasty might try to tag her -- then she'll use Pool dice for an improvised defense, as mentioned above. ]

-- and the buckshot tears through the heart of the swarm. With her free hand, Cheng prepares to manipulate the ashy, shattered remnants of the IC-code into a holding pattern around her icon, preventing the code fragments from setting off alert flags in the host.

[ Cheng is prepared to use a die from her Hacking Pool to suppress the (presumably) destroyed IC keep the host's Security Tally from going up by a whopping 10 points. Therefore, she's used one of her eight dice, has one in reserve to suppress the IC if needed, and has six still available for other purposes. Whether or not the IC manages to resist the attack-virus's damage is still up in the air. ]

Over to you, Synner.
Synner
Kurukami - In the interest of clarity assume that you "disengaged" from Cybercombat when you Logged On to the new Host and lost the Scout IC. Please edit your last post accordingly.

Regarding the Evade Detection doubt: IMO I'd say it would only affect IC involved in the Cybercombat in the first place. This would preclude reactive IC that you haven't detected before.

Regarding Cybercombat damage determination: I prefer to stick to the book. Cybercombat is lethal enough as it stands, though the extra successes don't add anything, you can make two Attacks (Simple Actions)per action, and there is no proper dodge analogue.

Regarding the Optional Suppression Rule: I'm okay with using this.
Kurukami
OK, my post above is updated with the current information. Did my Attack utility manage to fragment the Scout IC?
Synner
Apologies for the hiatus but I got an offer I couldn't refuse to attend RatCon in Germany over the weekend and really didn't get the time to post before I went thanks to last minute travel arrangements and ironing out work details. I'm back now and will post tomorrow without fail.
Kurukami
Hell, not a problem at all. The forums were down all weekend anyways. sarcastic.gif
Gorath
Too bad the story goes not further... I would be glad to learn more about the Matrix.
Synner
The thread is not dead, I've just had a lot of RL work.

Back to the walkthrough. Kurukami please wait for the Oppositions' Initiative before moving on just in case next time. Otherwise we might have to reedit more. In this case I'll assume the IC rolled only a 21 and that you got the first action.

Note - For those that have been following this thread since the beginning, Kurukami is using one of the two possible interpretations of the Attack Program Test. We've discussed this before a few pages back and you can see the other alternative in practice in the previous walkthrough. Until there is an official errata or clarification on the matter this is something you should sort out with your GM before the run. For the record I prefer the alternative interpretation.

Before going further ahead I'd like to remind everyone that use of an Attack Program is a Simple Action. This means that normally you are allowed 2 uses of Attack per Action Phase, or alternatively you can pair an Attack with a Combat Maneuver (SR3 pages 225-226 - Evade Detection, Parry Attack and Position Attack). Kurukami might be in trouble because he only has a One-Shot Attack utility in active memory.

Kurukami, please edit your post accordingly to say if you are Attacking once or if you want to do a Position Attack before the One-Shot Attack. Note that by the rules whether this Attack succeeds or not the program is gone from Active Memory and has to be reloaded with a Swap Memory operation as per the rules in Matrix, page 84.

Note - One of the reasons Initiative is important is because the first two options are available to IC too, which makes certain types of Reactive IC like Scout harder to hit in high rating systems and counters the decker-always-goes-first-against-reactive-IC-because-it-doesn't-attack preconception.

Now let's get back to the action...

Cheng fires her blunderbuss the shrapnel of code shooting through the heart of the IC Swarm shattering it's cohesion....

(I will edit the results depending on Kurukami's decision regarding his previous action. As it stands the IC needs two successes at target number 6 [Attack Utility Rating] to survive, but he might decide to go for a Position Attack Maneuver which would Lower his target number if successful).
BigKnockers
Wow, I never realised Reactive IC could do combat maneuvers. That could make it very annoying to pin down could it not? What happens if it keeps "Evade Detection"ing? Does that mean the decker needs to "Locate IC" to find it again (thus possibly racking up Security Tally)?
hobgoblin
remeber that anything doing a evade detection is hidden only of som many turns as you roll successes, - 1 pr +1 you get on your tally after that so if your hideing dont mess around to mutch as a failed move may make you "visible" again (and attract even more security!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012