Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Idiot's Guide To The Matrix Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Synner
In the spirit of The Matrix Walkthrough thread, here's a thread to post your questions, doubts and comments about the Matrix and decking. Several people have already helped address a bunch of problems from posters, in what I think has been a helpful and interesting fashion (check out the link above), and I hope this will continue in the current incarnation of DSF.
Talia Invierno
Yay, Synner! We need to keep this one and the hosts thread active.

(And a special thanks for reposting that particular one for me. My files are in a mess, just now.)
hobgoblin
hmm, anyuse in booting that a4 corp metaphor of mine over? probably not...
Synner
hobgoblin - I didn't want it to seem like I was co-opting your work. Please feel free to copy it over to the Hosts thread from the original thread (link at top). I found it particularly good.
hobgoblin
relax, im going by the rule that if its on a public board then anyone is free to steal, mutate and/or elaborate on my stuff. an idea is only your own as long as you keep it to yourself. the modern world goes round as people in the past have taken an original idea or invention and used it in areas the inventor never thought of...

ok, enough rant...

oh, nad i like what you did to it grinbig.gif
satcong
As a relatively new GM (and certainly new to deckers/decking) what I would really appreciate is a short 'walk-through' of a matrix run against a relatively simple Host/Security Sheaf.

For instance, when you 'trigger' IC, how does the decker know that it is there? Do you GM a matrix run in a similar way to a non-matrix run, i.e. by describing to the decker what is going on around him in the matrix in terms of icons etc.?

I have many more questions on this subject (as do other GM's I am sure), so thanks for the thread.
Synner
You may like to begin by checking out the previous thread on this subject, linked in my very first post. We've gone over quite a few of the basics before and you may find it interesting to go through that.

I've got another thread going for people to post their own "ready made" Hosts and their relevant iconography - Hosts'R'Us thread.

If you want we can try using the Office host therein as a sample run and see how the play by play goes.
Solidcobra
hmmm..... i need a "the total morons step by step guide to the matrix"...... or even more simple if possible
TekDragon
Courtesy of Penny-Arcade's random links every now and then, this was posted up summer of last year: http://www.caro.net/dsi/decker/

Basically, decking using shadowrun rules, minus the 'sim sense' feel that your deck would give to you.
satcong
Hi Synner, thanks for the offer:

"If you want we can try using the Office host therein as a sample run and see how the play by play goes..."

Would like to take you up on this. I have created a Decker as follows:
Body 3; Quick 4; STR 3; CHA 2; INT 6; WILL 6
Cyberware: Encephalon 2, Math SPU 3, Induction Datajack and Adaptor
Skills: Computer 6, Computer B/R 6, Electronics 4, Electronics B/R 6
Hacking Pool: 9 (4 + Encepahalon (2) + Math SPU (3))
Initiative 9+3d6 (includes Response Increase 2)
Cyberdeck: Renraku Kraftwerk-1: MPCP 8, Bod 6, Evasion 8, Sensor 4, Masking 6
Utilities: Sleaze 8, Analyze 4, Browse 6, Deception 6, Decrypt 6, Spoof 4, Reloctae 5, Read/Write 5, Attack 6D, Armor 6, Cloak 4 and Medic 6 (976Mp total, 252,800 NuYen)

Do you need any other information before we start this run?
Synner
Well, I need to know your jack-in point, and if you're decking the system if you know the LTG number of the destination system (this simply adds a couple of steps at the RTG/LTG level.

I'm also assuming we'll keep this simple for the purposes of an example and make it a straight datasnatch of a file and that you haven't done a recon hack to setup a Valid Account.
TinkerGnome
Satcong, once you're more familiar with the rules, the following will make more sense and they're good suggestions for a second run. These statements rely on having the Matrix book available for advanced rules:

From a power-gamer point of view, your decker should probably be running pure DNI with a hot ASIST interface. That'll give you a matrix initiative of 10+4d6, damn near maximum. And you probably want your masking to be 8 instead of your Evasion (though this may already be set for some reason). From there, flip into "masking mode" and you're looking at a detection factor of 10. As it sits now, you're a 7 (9 in masking mode).

You probably won't run across starting PCs with programs at rating 8, unless you specificly allow it (starting items are capped to rating 6 or less).
Synner
Tinkergnome is correct in his assessment of your load out but as he said some of his tweaks require use of the Matrix supplement. The most important thing to keep in mind is that your most important attribute when decking is actually your Detection Factor. Do everything you can to max it out. It directly increases your chances of survival more than any other aspect of your deck.

While I will assume this load out for the purposes of demonstration (especially because it is similar to quite a few starting deckers I know) I suggest you take a look at some of the program breakdowns we did in the previous thread for more variety and alternatives.
satcong
OK Synner, I have SR3 Matrix supplement. Let's assume that I don't know the LTG# of the target and that I have not carried out a recon of the host. My mission is, as suggested, a 'straight-forward' data-snatch. Let's also assume that I am jacking-in from an 'illegal access' jackpoint.

From what TinkerGnome said (thanks TG) I assume that my 400,000 NuYen for the Kraftwerk did not include an ASIST interface (hot or cold). Can the ASIST interface (as well as ICCM and Reality filtering) be added to the deck at a later stage or am I stuck with what I've got?

Also appreciate comments regarding Masking, Detection Factor and loadout - and will bear these in mind for the future. For now though, let my inexperience rule my fate and let's go with the Cyberdeck and loadout as listed (although I also didn't realise that Program starting values were capped at Rating 6 - I learn more every post smile.gif - thanks guys).

OK, jacking-in.....

The White Dwarf
It does come with an assist interface, which can be set to hot or cold as you choose. But because it is a setting that you have too choose, just specify which one youre in =)

The same goes for DNI. You just choose to run in that mode (doing so requires you to be on hot assist however).

Both those choices make you a better decker, but also make you a bit vunerable to the nastier effects of some black ice type stuff (yea, it fries your brain worse when your brain is COMPLETLEY plugged in). 95% of the time it is *well* worth the trade off, so dont sweat the choice.

And yes, you can add stuff at a later date. ICCM is very useful, reality filter is less so imo (we never use them). Different people might have other ideas on the filter tho. In some cases you might have to replace other parts of your deck to work with the new hardware, but it can be done. The rules are in Matrix.
TinkerGnome
Reality filters help you get up to that all-elusive 10+5d6 initiative rating (the max you can have in the Matrix) but sometimes have trouble inside certain systems. All in all, if you need that extra bit of speed, they're worth it, but most people don't bother. There are a couple of decker mentalities, and the one I subscribe to is the hit and run methodology. Sticking around in a system to fight off IC is generally a bad idea (though crashing a piece of Probe IC and supressing it can well be worth it if it buys you a little time) so how fast you can move isn't always critical.

Because it might be confusing, i'm also going to mention that there is a piece of cyber called an "ASIST converter". The cyberware is only useful for Otaku and isn't required or even usable by a regular decker.

And it's not just programs that are capped at rating 6 under normal character generation rules, but anything with a rating (except, possibly, Otaku complex forms, which aren't gear and aren't specificly covered... I'm not sure about that one). Some GMs also cap decks at rating 6, though I've seen others who just rely on the availability cap (usually 8).

One of the things about being a decker is that you want to start with pretty much everything you're going to need since it takes so very long to program or build anything.
Synner
Datasteal Walkthrough
Satcong - Things go something like this:

You jack your deck into the illegal jackpoint somewhere in a C-district and toggle pure DNI. The Matrix rezzes into view before you. You appear besides the UMS representation of the jackpoint or inside the Host which houses the jackpoint (if there is one). This is homeground so no Tests are necessary. Stepping outside represents logging on to the Local Telecom Grid (let's say Everett) which looks like the "someone overlaid a Matrix Grid over the physical representation" of the cityscape (according to Target: Matrix). Since you don't know the LTG# you have to locate it first this means either going to the LTG# directory or going up a level to the RTG and then accessing the relevant RTG or LTG from there and then doing the same there (this is essentially a hightech version of going to the local phone listings).

There are several ways of going from here but the two most used are.

a) Log directly onto SeaSource (or one of its many competitors) and get the LTG from them (they're a huge online database run by Renraku, a mega-search engine and yellow pages rolled into one). Most deckers will have this on their "Most Used Links" list.

b) Let's assume that you know the LTG you want is in Downtown because the law offices you want to hack are physically located in Downtown. You dial up the Seattle RTG (Green-5/6/9/6/6/6) and fly up to the representation of the RTG which looks like the Eye of the Needle Restaurant floating over the city, inside it has no tables and panoramic windows looking out onto each connected LTG or RTG (again from Target: Matrix, the Iconography is simple and doesn't complicate matters by making you figure out what things are or calling for Analyze Hosts or Analyze Icon Tests).

You do an Access Test (Log On to Host sys-operation) to enter the RTG, an Access Test to enter the Downtown LTG (Green-5/6/9/6/6/6) from there and an Index Test to find the company's public LTG# (762-2223). You step through the window and appear in front of the Downtown LTG Host you dialed from the RTG (if you had logged on to the LTG without a specific number you would probably come out in front of the telecom company's own Host (PacRimComm Unlimited).

This is where you begin really decking the Host and many GMs will skip the preceding steps/description and start here. Since this is a no frills office system its Grid Icon is probably a 3D corporate logo representing the lawfirm Brown & Sons (Orange-9/12/12/9/9/9). Data-packages representing email or a phonecall regularly shoot out of the bottom of the icon and into the Matrix Grid below, representing the datalines in and out of the Host. Since this isn't a PLTG you don't have to worry about any Security Tally you've accumulated on the Public Grid when you Access it.

First you must attempt a Log On to Host operation to get in. Roll Computer Test with a Target Number equal to the Access Rating minus Deception Program Rating opposed by a GM's Security Rating roll with a Target number equal to your Detection Factor (successes both subtract from yours and add to your Security Tally – currently at O). Important Note – all the System Operation Tests and relevant utilities are listed for easy reference on pages 162-163 of Matrix. Every decker and GM character should have this list with them if they're unsure of the rules.
In this case you roll Computer 6 (plus Hacking Pool dice) against a target number of 6 (Access Rating 12 minus Deception 6). The GM rolls the 9 dice (Security Rating) against a target of 7 (your current Detection Factor).
satcong
Thanks to WhiteDwarf and TinkerGnome - so we are running on pure DNI using Hot Asist. Next time I create a decker and Cyberdeck I will apply the ratings limits that you mention. If you install a Reality Filter can you select On/Off with this? Which is to say, if you know a particular host that will give your filter problems, can you simply deck the Host with your Reality Filter switched OFF?

Synner, thanks for the step-by-step instructions for finding the target Host and for the descriptions of 'inside' the Matrix....

I assume that I would only know the details of the Host if I had carried out an Analyze Host operation or are you supplying the stats purely for informational purposes?

OK, the RTG and LTG have standard UMS yes? I am now standing beside the 3-D representation of Brown & Sons and I am going to attempt to Log-On to their Host. I roll 10-dice (Computer 6 + 4 Hacking Pool) against TN 6 and roll 4 successes......
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (satcong)
OK, the RTG and LTG have standard UMS yes? I am now standing beside the 3-D representation of Brown & Sons and I am going to attempt to Log-On to their Host. I roll 10-dice (Computer 6 + 4 Hacking Pool) against TN 6 and roll 4 successes......

There's nothing that says you can't take just one action a turn in the Matrix. Thus your hacking pool should refresh after every test. You can thus spend your max (6) on all of your system tests and simply wait a few cycles before your next action.

Depending on how your GM views this practice, of course.
satcong
Thanks TG, in future I will use my full hacking pool when prudent. I imagine that unless I am under pressure from IC that using all hacking dice for a system operation will be OK since I will not need to hold any back for combat etc.?

Just to add some colour, my on-line icon is an inoffensive little old man. He walks with a limp and uses a walking-stick. On the handle of the walking-stick is a big red button that has written on it, 'Press to Defrost'.....
Fortune
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Thus your hacking pool should refresh after every test.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Hacking Pool treated the same as every other Pool, in that it only refreshes at the start of every turn?
Zazen
You should re-read his post smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Zazen)
You should re-read his post smile.gif

Considering you usually only roll one test at a time, it can be read more than one way. smile.gif
Synner
Datasteal Walkthrough
Synner, thanks for the step-by-step instructions for finding the target Host and for the descriptions of 'inside' the Matrix....

This is was as much for your benefit as for Solidcobra and anyone else who wants to use it as a reference guide.

Note that I actually forgot to explain that in option b) above you perform a Locate Access Node operation (against the Grid's Access rating and using Browse).

I assume that I would only know the details of the Host if I had carried out an Analyze Host operation or are you supplying the stats purely for informational purposes?

All the stuff in brackets is OOC/GM information, it's just there to clarify and help both GMs and players. Normally you would need to be inside the Host and use an Analyze Host system operation to know these facts.

OK, the RTG and LTG have standard UMS yes?

Yes regarding the LTG, no regarding the RTG which has some minimal sculpting (ie. the Space Needle metaphor). There is a lot more about the look of the Seattle Matrix (and other important Matrix locations) in the really cool Target: Matrix sb. Obviously the RTG sees a lot of Icon traffic which I also didn't describe because it was irrelevant to the task at hand.

I am now standing beside the 3-D representation of Brown & Sons and I am going to attempt to Log-On to their Host. I roll 10-dice (Computer 6 + 4 Hacking Pool) against TN 6 and roll 4 successes......

So lets continue...
The GM/Host rolls 3 sucesses with his Security Rating (9) against your Detection Factor (7). Which means you have enough remaining successes (1) to pass the test (and a Security Tally of 3). The Brown and Sons icon shimmers and with a ripple effect opens a circular doorway into the system.

Stepping through the system access point you find yourself standing in the reception area of a stylized high-tech office floor. The entrance hall is semicircular and corridors full of doors radiate off the main foyer at regular intervals. Opposite you, front and center, is a reception desk with two recepcionists. Standing slightly behind you to either side of the entrance are some faceless standard issue MCT-SecGuard-ICons - from the configuration you can't decide what IC they are. (Further data on the Iconography is in the Hosts'R'Us thread in case you're having difficulties). Nobody pays much attention to your Icon since the system metaphor isn't that sofisticated.

There are several things you can do now, including the most obvious:
a) Locate File (if you know the file name or some of the contents thereof)
b) Locate Paydata (if you don't know enough info run this operation using keywords that will have to be in the file like a target's name).
c) Validate Account (this is only really useful if you want back in later or want this to be a recon hack, in which case do a Graceful Log Off and Log On again with the new Validated account).
d) Use the helpful information function the Recepcionist icons (Index subsystem) are probably programmed with to help clients/general public users.

Your move...
Game2BHappy
Awesome stuff Synner.

I haven't touched Matrix stuff in awhile and this is a great refresher.

Question:
Doesn't the decker have to perform a "Logon to Host" when he first jacks in? I thought that dumped him into the LTG and that was the first thing that happened.

Synner
You are correct, it's actually a Log On to LTG system operation, but I normally only use that when the decker is logging on through a Host or telecom. Although it's debatable, I assume that when he's using an illegal jackpoint or dataline tap to access the network directly, he's avoiding the need to do the Log On to LTG (because he isn't using a valid Matrix Service Provider account if nothing else).
Solidcobra
*whistles* love.gif this is helpful.... i'm actually beginning to understand from viewing the good and detailed descriptions of actions possible that Synner posts
Synner
The other thing that I'm purposefully avoiding (in the interest of clarity) and which often adds another interesting dimension is the decker's end of the description.

The problem some people encounter when playing the Matrix is the fact that without the descriptions it ultimately boils down to just a bunch of tests. So I make it a point of describing the metaphors and the decker's interaction with the elements of the Matrix. In my game I try to prompt the decker into helping me with this. I give a -1 modifier to any target number in which the decker takes the time to describe his Utility in use and how it operates/interfaces with the Matrix, instead of just saying I use my Browse utility...

However this is an unnecessary, and house rule, point which just serves to add more color to the game.

And now back to our regular broadcast...
DigitalMage
QUOTE (Game2BHappy)
Awesome stuff Synner.

I haven't touched Matrix stuff in awhile and this is a great refresher.

Question:
Doesn't the decker have to perform a "Logon to Host" when he first jacks in? I thought that dumped him into the LTG and that was the first thing that happened.

I think the log on to host, changing RTGs was mentioned but glossed over as it isn't really important to the task at hand.

However, if a decker is using a legitimate MSP (Matrix Service Provider) account, e.g. with UCAS Online (unlikely his own, but it could be one "borrowed" from a neighbour cyber.gif ) then all these tests are likely to be automatically successful.

I say "likely" as it depends which LTG and RTGs are accessed, e.g. Aztechnology (who no doubt run the Aztlan grid) may not allow UCAS Online users to automatically access Matrix sites on their grid, but may allow deckers with the premium priced Aztechnology MSP account to do so.

Once you get to a host it is unlikley that your basic UCAS Online MSP will be any good, at that point you need to have user account to do things automatically.

The Logon operations are effectively fooling the LTGs, RTGs, PLTGs and Hosts that you have a valid MSP account for that particular operation.
Synner
Datasteal Walkthrough
Since satcong is taking a while and in the interest of keeing this going, I'm going to assume he chooses a Locate File system operation from the possibilities above...

Your little old man Icon limps across to the reception desk to perform his query (ie. a Locate File operation on the Host's Index subsystem represented by the recepcionists). The decker's Icon asks the Recepcionist for the location of the relevant file while he puts on his bottle-bottom glasses (his Browse Utility).

He rolls his Computer skill (6) plus Hacking Pool (6) against the Host's Index Rating (9) minus Browse (6) for a target number of 3. He rolls 9 successes on 12 dice. Meanwhile the Host (as always) rolls it's Security Rating (9) against the decker's Detection Factor (7) for 2 successes. Overall the decker totals 7 successes which is more than enough to succeed; however his Security Tally rises to 5 which according to the Host's Security Sheaf activates a Probe 8 IC (at Step 4 to be exact).

In the Matrix a pretty recepcionist hands the decker a slip of ultra-smooth paper with a smile, the paper has the door number for the appropriate File subsystem where his target is stored but before the decker can move away, the recepcionist next to her asks, "May I see your ID card, sir?"

[edit] Since Probe is reactive IC the GM just makes a secret Sensor Test (SR3 page 209) for the decker (4) against a Target number equal to the IC's rating ( 8 ), the decker gets very lucky and rolls 2 successes finding out that this Recepcionist Icon is a Cutie8.1 Probe IC and is asking for the passcode that identifies him as a legitimate user. If he had failed the test, the recepcionist would have just noted his unauthorized presence, said nothing and the IC would have remained undetected.[/end edit]

You now have a choice:
a) you either enter Cybercombat and try to nuke the Probe IC and then surpress it or;
b) you don't reply and from that point on the Host adds the Probe's rating ( 8 ) to all Security Rating (9) rolls against the decker's Detection Factor (7). Meaning that after Probe is triggered the System starts rolling 17 dice every System Operation you make.

Note - Although I don't think it's clearly stated anywhere that I recall, IMHO it should be assumed that possessing a Validated Account (see above) means you can show Probe IC a valid passcode and the IC returns to its passive state. This is another good reason to do a recon hack.
Note2 - When I've had time to work out the metaphor before hand and I think the decker is in the mood for some more color, I use the IC or Program's rating as a version number so I don't have to break from in character description (ie. a "Cutie8.1 Probe" for a Probe - 8 IC).
Person 404
My knowledge of the Matrix rules is far from perfect, but since probe is reactive IC, shouldn't there have been a free sensor test involved to determine if the decker notices it/ knows its rating/ etc?
Synner
You are correct Person 404, I did leave that out in terms of Game Information. However the Sensor Test is made in secret by the GM anyway. In this particular case assume the decker totalled a couple of successes.

Thanks for the correction, I'll edit it in now for consistency.
satcong
Sorry for the delay, I have been away for the weekend....

The little old man acknowledges the receptionist's question with a wave of his hand (activating Cloak utility), "Ah, yes, certainly young lady. Just give me a minute while I find it...". Looking confused he starts searching his pockets with his free-hand.

"Um, I'm sure it was here... can you hold this for me please", he hands his walking stick to the receptionist. Whether or not she takes hold of the stick, the little old man presses the big red 'Press to Defrost' button on the handle of his walking stick. The walking stick instantly glows white-hot like an arc-light element and a shock-wave of heat, like a blow-torch, jets towards the receptionist as the little old man launches his Attack (6D) utility....

satcong
Had I chosen to, could I have used an 'Evade Detection' combat maneuver to buy myself time? Using the Cloak utility (the hand-wave) this combat maneuver would, I believe, have been easier to succeed at?

If I successfully evade the IC for a couple of combat turns, is that sufficient time to go to the file-subsystem (door number on paper slip) room where the file I want is located?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (satcong)
If I successfully evade the IC for a couple of combat turns, is that sufficient time to go to the file-subsystem (door number on paper slip) room where the file I want is located?

Probe IC doesn't work quite that way. I'll leave it up to Synner to give you the long version, but the short is that Probe simply sits there, making your actions harder. Evade is a combat-only action and, since you're not in combat with the probe, does nothing useful in this case. If you attack Probe IC, it's worth noting, it also does not fight back.

Another common low tier IC is Scout IC, which works just like Probe till it's attacked. At that point, it flips and becomes combat IC.
satcong
Thanks TinkerGnome.

Reading SR3, and from Synner's last post, this Probe IC is bad news anyway since it ratchets up my security tally every time I carry out a system test. I assume it is therefore worth crashing (and suppressing?) as soon as possible?
Synner
Datasteal Walkthrough
Tinkergnome is correct, Probe is reactive IC (SR3 page 212) and doesn't fight (although it does defend itself it can never take an offensive posture). It just sits there making your Tests harder, in fact, if that Sensor Test above fails you won't even notice it's doing it.

You've chosen to handle this IC by entering Cybercombat which is the most likely option for most deckers. Probe is pretty common and nasty in that it makes your life miserable from the point it's activated on and can't really be decieved. That being said if you're running in Masking mode (Matrix page 123) and have a sufficiently high Detection Factor it might be worth leaving it be.

To handle your choice we should backtrack a little. You declare cybercombat and at that point (cyber)Initiative should be rolled, in this case we know beforehand it is irrelevant, but things might be different if this were a Probe trapped with a TarPit. Anyway, returning to our example. Since this is non-aggressive IC you don't need to use defensive Combat Maneuvers or Defensive Utilities (like Cloak), furthermore you should endeavor to take it out as fast as possible.

Which brings me to a usually overlooked aspect of Cybercombat: Attacks are simple actions! You can make 2 Attacks per action phase or you can use the Position Attack Maneuver and then use your Attack Utility. The latter option has the advantage of increasing your chances of taking the IC down with a single strike. For the purposes of this example let's assume that the IC is destroyed by your Position Attack Maneuver plus Attack (6D).

The CutieIC burns away into pixilated ashes which fall to the floor. You must now choose if you want to suppress it or not. The base IC Suppression rule is that you lose 1 point of Detection Factor for every IC you suppress (SR3 page 212), this will lower your Detection Factor to 6 (which given a loophole in SR rules is the same as your previous Factor of 7). I assume you suppress and move on.

Your Icon hobbles down the appropriate corridor - indicated by a plaque listing the door number range each corridor contains afixed above each entrance -until he finds the appropriate door. He opens the door and enters the File subsystem which looks like a huge File Archive with the old-fashioned pull-out drawers system. (note this is color and no tests are involved, a GM might describe this as you make the File Subsystem Test or do it separately). The piece of paper tells you which cabinet and you find the File easily. Now you need to do either a Download Data System Operation to download the File as is or an Edit File System Operation to check inside it and make sure its the one you want.

Note - After you've become more acquainted with the rules you might want to try the Matrix sourcebook's Optional IC Suppression rule (page 26) which allows for using/losing Hacking Pool dice instead of Detection Factor points.

Note2 – There is some debate about the issue of Cybercombat and Security Tallies. IMHO since it does not involve System Tests, the IC's successes in Cybercombat should not add towards your Security Tally. However, I have seen good arguments to the contrary and so I leave it up to individual GMs to rule on the matter.
Mightyflapjack
Probe IC should usually be attacked and suppressed by a decker if they are planning to do a lot more in a system.

Probe IC is the worst type of IC in the way that it adds its rating to the system in every test to add to your security tally. It is usually better for a decker to just incur the penalty for supressing it.

EDIT:
It is also a good idea to keep a special IC-buster attack program (limit target : IC, Stealth +5, Attack 6S). Damage =6S, 160 MP = 32,000Y. Stealth's rating reduces the security tally generated by "crashing an icon" (in this case.. crashing a probe - 8 with this utility would only increase the tally by 3 instead of 8.) a 6M version of this would only be 90 MP, and 18,000Y.
Gorath
It is possible, that it is better to keep your detecion factor (DF) high.

Example:

1. Red-6, Probe IC 8, DF 6
a) (don't fight) 14*1/6=2.3
b) (fight&surpress) 6*2/6=2

2. Green-12, Probe IC 8, DF 6
a) 20*1/6=3.3
b) 12*2/6=4

Rule: If (SR+IC)*P(DF)<SR*P(DF-1) its better to avoid the fight.

[Security rating (SR), Probe IC (IC), P(x) prohability to get a x on a d6]

Best thing for the decker is in my opion to give up a dice from hacking pool. Most deckers have HP>Computer skill, so its no problem for non-combat (that you always avoid...)

EDIT:

The equation is equivalent to (SR+IC)/SR = 1+IC/SR < P(DF-1)/P(DF) for avoiding the fight.

Just some notes because the "better" choice does not depend on the a high enough DF but the ratio between P(DF) and P(DF-1), that changes because of d6 use. The main problem is that you roll twice more 5s as 6s (mathematical) but the ratio between 3s and 4s is better (4 vs. 3) Because of the nature of d6 this is true for x+6, x+12, x+18... too (i.e. you would expect twice more 11s then 12s).

Example:

DF 9

P(9)=1/6*4/6=1/9=0.111...
P(8)=1/6*5/6=5/36=0.13888...

==> P(8)/P(9)=5/4=1.25 ==> If IC> 1/4 of SR start fight!

DF 6

P(6)=1/6=0.1666...
P(5)=2/6=0.333...

==> P(5)/P(6)=2 ==> If IC>SR start fight!

For multiples of 6 the ratio is 2. But at 7, 13, 19... it is always better to fight, because P(7)=P(6) ==> ratio 1
Synner
Thanks for the detailing Gorath, that's essentially what I meant that if you have a high enough Detection Factor you might want to leave the Probe in place. Also I'd like to note that even a beginning character can push their Detection Factor as high as 9 by using certain Modes which makes it an even stronger possibility.
satcong
OK, I choose to suppress the crashing IC using my Hacking Pool; as the pixelated ashes of the IC gently fall, the little old man catches them in a small butterfly net.

I am in the file subsystem and have located the file that contains the data that I am after. How do I know that the data is safe to start tampering with?

The little old man has a small circular case on a safety chain around his neck. He opens the case and flips out a gold-rimmed monacle. He puts the monacle in place and squints his eye to grip it. His eye is magnefied three-fold as he checks the file over (Edit File) and confirms that it contains what he is looking for.

Having confirmed that it is what he is after, he puts the file in the breast-pocket of his embroidered waist-jacket (Download File).

There are two things that I am now considering: firstly I would like to create a valid account on this host so that I can re-visit at a later date and, secondly, since things are going reasonably well, I want to locate some paydata as a small bonus for this first run....
Synner
Datasteal Walkthrough
Satcong - Both the Edit File and the Download Data are system operations that require Tests. Both are aided by Read/Write and have a target of 9 (File Subsystem Rating) and are opposed by the Host's Security Rating as usual. Both might increase your Security Tally and/or not even work so you should make those rolls before you decide what to do next...
satcong
Another couple of questions if you don't mind.

Is the decker aware of his security tally or is this kept secret by the GM?

If the decker carries out a successful 'Analyze Host' operation does he gain any indication of the contents of the security sheaf? If not, is there any way to do this or do deckers just continue to push-the-envelope until it gets too hot to stay and log-off?

Also, on further reading, it appears that I can not create a valid account since I do not have the utility 'Validate', correct?
Gorath
There are some ways to get information about this host:

Analyze Host:
For each success you get information about
- securtity rating (code and value)
-one subsystems rating
For 7 successes you get all Informations.

Analyse Security:
If you successed you get the information about your tally and the alarm status of the host. (I don't think you can see the security sheaf.)

And you *could* try to make a account. BUT you must make a Validate Account operation vs. Control subsystem without the help of your Validate utility, so the TN 14 is very high. If you would succeed you get the account...

Note: You should get a Validate 6 utility fast so you can make a reckon hack to get an account for hosts. In your case the TN would be 8 - not 14 - oppossed to the host.

Note2: The TN for Validate Account is Control Subsystem Rating +2. If you try to get super-user access the TN mod is +6.
Synner
The decker isn't aware of his exact Security Tally, that is GM information, however a player can have a rough idea of how much trouble he's in if he keeps check of the results of the net sucesses in his Tests. This isn't foolproof, which IMHO is good, since it mimmicks the uncertainty the decker faces.

Next, the closest you will get is the Analyze Security System Operation (SR3 page 215). This will give you readings of the Security Rating and your current Security Tally but not the actual Sheaf. As far as I know no Operations will give up Sheaf information. In other words deckers do this until it gets too hot to stay.

Also, on further reading, it appears that I can not create a valid account since I do not have the utility 'Validate', correct?

This is a common misconception.

Actually you can perform any System Operation without the respective Utility. It just makes it much harder since the Utility's Rating isn't subtracted from the relevant ACIFS Subsystem Rating.

In this particular case without a Validate Utility you're looking at a Control Subsystem Test with a Target of 14 (Control +2, Matrix page 102 ) which is opposed, as usual, by the Host's Security Rating vs your Detection Factor.

Note - It's always useful to have the charts on page 162 thru 164 of the "Matrix" sb with you as a crib sheet when running decking. It facilitates System Operations immensely and works as a quick reference for all Matrix Tests.
satcong
Thanks guys, very useful information.

Synner, I will attempt an 'Edit File' operation with the aid of my 'Read/Write' utility. I will roll 12 dice (Computer 6 + Hacking Pool 6) against a TN# 4 (File Subsystem rating - Read Write 5). I roll 7 successes.

As a point of interest, it certainly is more fun and colourful describing the icon's actions as oppossed to simply stating the procedures in terms of dice rolls required etc.... my little old man icon still uses his monacle as described previously....

I realise that the Host will oppose this and may increase my security tally. However, if nothing drastic happens, I will then use my second simple action to attempt the 'Download Data' operation using the same utility. This time it will be 9 dice (Computer 6 + Remaining Hacking Pool 3) against TN#4. I roll 4 successes....

I assume that attempting to validate an account against a TN#14 is not only going to be very hard, but, as an oppossed test, is likely to result in a large increase to my security tally since I am unlikely to score any successes while the Host is?
Synner
Datasteal Walkthrough
Continuing...

Opposing your Edit File system operation the Host rolls it's usual 9 dice (Security Rating) against your Detection Factor (7) and gets 2 successes. Behind the GM's screen your Security Tally goes up by 2.

Meanwhile, this means you easily open the File and peak inside its contents, sifting through the virtual pages with your monocle on (Read/Write Utility) making sure it contains the target's personal details you were looking for. Satisfied this is the correct File you proceed with the Download Data operation.

You make your System Operation roll and get 4 successes (above) and the Host makes it's usual Security Rating (9) roll against your Detection Factor (7) and amazingly rolls 5 successes. This means that not only did your System Test fail and you weren't able to download the File but also that your Security Tally just shot up 5 steps (although the character in the example doesn't know it he's already up to step 12 and has triggered two IC).

Your Icon turns just in time to see a faceless Security Guard Icon accompanied by a MCTracker dog 8.0 Icon step through the door to the Archive Room, the guard asks "ID code please?" (One success on the secret Noticing Triggered IC Sensor Test - SR3 page 209 - let's you notice the Guard Icon but doesn't tell you what it is, three successes on the Sensor Test against the second IC tells you its a Trace - 8 IC).

Your move.
satcong
The monacle drops from the little old man's face to be replaced by a set of night-vision goggles (ANALYZE IC).....

This is a Control Test so I use my 'Free Action' to Analyze the IC and roll 10 dice (Computer 6 + Hacking Pool 4) against a TN# (Control Rating 12 - Analyze Utility 4) = 8. I roll 3 successes....

Note: I am assuming from it's appearance and question that this is IC. Would it be prudent to first 'Analyze Icon' since this is also a free action?
Synner
Sorry Satcong I had to revise the post above because I'd forgotten you had added 2 to the Tally with the Edit File test and just noticed you jumped to Step 12 activating 2 IC not one.
satcong
No problem Synner, although I thought my eyes were deceiving me and I had missed a paragraph of your description smile.gif

My Analyze IC will be directed at the security guard since I am not too concerned about the MCTracker Dog Trace IC at this point....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012