Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4: Combat & Gear
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Bull
Feel free to ask questions, I and the others familiar with SR4 will try and answer questions when we can, and try to keep the thread on topic. smile.gif
will_rj
What exactly is an initiative pass in SR4 ?
If one has, for example, 2 passes, does he/she always acts twice in a given round ? How does wounds affect initiative, if they do ?

Will
Bull
Characters no longer have a semi-random number of actions per turn, as they have in previous editions. Now they always have a flat number of actions (or Initiative Passes), which is 1 plus extras granted by cyber/bio/magic/gear/whatever.

You roll dice equal to your Initiative Derived Attribute, and add the number of hits to your Initiative Derived Attribute, modified by wound modifiers. this determines the initiative order. Everyone goes once, then those with second, third, and fourth actions go in successive passes.

Bull
Homme-qui-rigole
Ok. Here's a question;

How work Gear acquisition/Availability/Legality rating?

(Ok, actually it's look more like three questions.... biggrin.gif )
Bull
QUOTE (Smed)

QUOTE (NeoJudas @ Aug 21 2005, 05:31 P/M)
As for Smed's questions ... I haven't made it that far into the books, but I do know that Rob is of the opinion that there will *NOT* be a Vehicle B/R system like Rigger-2/Rigger-3 had.

That's unfortunate. One of the things I liked best about playing a Rigger was tinkering with vehicles and drones. Taking a stock drone or cheap car and modifying the hell out of it was fun.

If Rob is opposed to giving design and customization rules for Vehicles, I wonder how he feels about design rules for other areas, like Spell Design?

The Fanpro seminar was taped. Adam may have more details about that later, assuming he survived GC.

However, what Rob said is that there will not be full vehicle cration rules. There will likely be rules for upgrading vehicles in Arsenal, which is the working title for the Gear book. My guess is that this would be simimlar to what was in the original Rigger Black Book, except, you know, actually make sense and work smile.gif

Bull
Babel
Is it me or does EX Explosive now trump APDS. APDS gives -5 AP, Ex Explosive gives +2 DV, -2 AP.

Assume for the moment you are shooting someone with an Ares Predator IV doing 5P DV with -1 AP. You get 1 net success and your target has a body of 4 and is wearing a lined coat with 6 ballistic armor.

Using APDS your DV is 6 with a total AP of -6 which negates their armor. They roll 4 body dice and get an average of 1-2 hits which lowers the damage to 4-5.

Using EX Explosive your DV is 8 with a total AP of -3. They roll 4 body dice + 3 armor dice and get 2-3 hits which lowers the damage to 5-6.

Under the same scenario with the target wearing an Armor Jacket with 8 ballistic APDS yields an average of 4 damage while EX Explosive would yield an average of 5 damage.
Bull
QUOTE (Homme-qui-rigole)
Ok. Here's a question;

(Ok, actually it's look more like three questions.... biggrin.gif )

Legality: There are three "Ratings" for Legality. Legal, Restricted, and Forbidden. Restricted means you can only own it under certain circumstances, often something like a Permit. Forbidden means that private citizens are never allowed to legally own or possess the item, under any circumstances.

Availability: Acquiring anything with an availability rating is now generally an Extended Test using Charisma + Negotiation. The Availability of the item is the Threshold, and the Interval is based on how expensive the item is, and can be anywhere from 12 hours to 1 week. You can buyy extra dice for the Extended Test by spending extra nuyen on the item.

Bull
Bandwidthoracle
Is bio avalible at creation?
Bull
QUOTE (Babel)
Is it me or does EX Explosive now trump APDS. APDS gives -5 AP, Ex Explosive gives +2 DV, -2 AP.

Assume for the moment you are shooting someone with an Ares Predator IV doing 5P DV with -1 AP. You get 1 net success and your target has a body of 4 and is wearing a lined coat with 6 ballistic armor.

Using APDS your DV is 6 with a total AP of -6 which negates their armor. They roll 4 body dice and get an average of 1-2 hits which lowers the damage to 4-5.

Using EX Explosive your DV is 8 with a total AP of -3. They roll 4 body dice + 3 armor dice and get 2-3 hits which lowers the damage to 5-6.

Under the same scenario with the target wearing an Armor Jacket with 8 ballistic APDS yields an average of 4 damage while EX Explosive would yield an average of 5 damage.

To a certain degree, yes. But if you're trying to make sure you kill a target (or do physical damage), APDS is likely the better way to do since it will negate a large portion of the target's armor.

But overall, yes, it is better. It's also more expensive.

Bull
Bull
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
Is bio avalible at creation?

Yes. Bioware overlaps a little with higher grade cyberware in some areas now though, since they both cost essence.

Generally, Bio is more essence firendly, but a lot more expensive.

But there are still some things only Cyber can do. And only some things Bioware can do.

Bull
Ellery
Is there armor out there that is likely to convert EX ammo damage to stun? Seems as though you'd need armor ratings in the 8-10+ range for that to even be a possibility.

Also, since stun condition monitors are shorter than physical for trolls, wouldn't one want to do stun when facing an armored troll?
Sabosect
Is there any new bioware available? Or just the old stuff?
Alvorn
Can you explain Dodge further. Between the different posts else where it seems that you have Full Defesne ( always dodging ) and selecting to dodge at the time you are shot. Is this the case ? Whats the penalty for doing this ?
mfb
is there an AR mode that doesn't add TN mods to physical activities? or does the AR mod not apply to AR-assisted physical activities, such as shooting with a smartlink?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Babel)

APDS actually gives -4 AP, while EX Explosive is as stated (+2 DV, -2 AP). EX Explosive is more expensive, and all explosive rounds have that nasty "explodes when you have a Critical Glitch" thing (which happens a lot more often now than before, given the fact that you only have to roll half or more 1s and no hits).
Ellery
Just to know whether glitching is important, it's useful to look at the frequencies:
CODE

Dice    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11  12   13+
Crit. Glitch Chance   17% 22%  6%  7%  2%  3% .8%  1% .3% .4% .1% .2% <0.1%
 Reg. Glitch Chance    0% 11%  3%  9%  2%  7%  2%  5%  1%  3%  1%  2% <1.2%

Total Glitch Chance   17% 33%  8% 17%  5%  9%  3%  5%  2%  3%  1%  2% <1.2%

So if you get up to 5 dice or so, and you have edge to protect yourself, you may as well use EX. By the time you hit 7, you usually won't even need to worry about edge.

Edited to add "regular" and "total" glitch chances.
mfb
it increases a full percent from 5 to 6?
Ellery
It changes 0.7% (2.06% to 2.74%). I'm assuming you need at least half 1s. The table changes if you need half, round down in order to critical-glitch.
hobgoblin
so the diff between a normal glitch and a critical glitch is the existance of any hits in the test?

get non and you have a critical on your hands, while get atleast 1 and you "only" have a normal one?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so the diff between a normal glitch and a critical glitch is the existance of any hits in the test?

get non and you have a critical on your hands, while get atleast 1 and you "only" have a normal one?

Correct.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Sabosect)

The only new bioware that I see is the Skin Pocket (eww).
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Aug 22 2005, 12:46 AM)

The only new bioware that I see is the Skin Pocket (eww).

surge reruns anyone silly.gif

still, its a old classic. cp2020 had them so why not?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Homme-qui-rigole @ Aug 21 2005, 11:10 PM)

Availability - Charisma + Negotiation (threshold = Availability, Interval Based on Table) Extended Test
Less than 100 nuyen - 12 hours
Less than 1000 nuyen - 1 day
Less than 10,000 nuyen - 2 days
Over 10,000 nuyen - 1 week

You can spend an additional 25% of the item's value to gain an additional die for the Availability test (maximum of 10, or a total of +250% cost for the item).

Legality - There are three levels: Legal, Restricted ( R ), and Forbidden ( F ). Restricted requires a Permit, Forbidden is always illegal. No other numbers involved.
Ellery
Since regular glitches could be important too, I added "regular glitch" (and total glitch) probabilities to my table above. It's kind of a weird progression.
Darkness
lol
So an odd number of dice is preferable, since the glitch probability is lower.

Strange things those glitches.
blakkie
QUOTE (Darkness @ Aug 22 2005, 04:48 AM)
lol
So an odd number of dice is preferable, since the glitch probability is lower.

Strange things those glitches.

Due to round-off. Ellery is assuming that when calculating the the required number of 1s for say 5 dice it is 5/2=2.5 = 3 rounded up. That seems like a good assumption. If you rounded down to 2 1s needed the odd numbers would instead be very bad, likely more so than they are good now.

EDIT: And i concur, if you've got the cash and the Edge to cover it, Ex-ex would definately seem the better for anti-person. Especially highly armoured trolls. Knock those suckers out. wink.gif
blakkie
Penetrating/destroying physical barriers and vehicle armor. How dat work?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
Penetrating/destroying physical barriers and vehicle armor. How dat work?

Barriers now have Armor and Structure Ratings instead of a single Barrier Rating. You roll an unopposed Attack test, and add hits to the modified DV of the weapon.
Melee or Unarmed - No change
Monowhips/Whips - 1 DV
Projectile - 1 DV per projectile
Bullets - 2 DV per bullet
Explosive - Base DV x 2
AV rocket/missile - Base DV x 3
Combat Spell - No change

You can't miss unless you critically glitch. Then the barrier resists against damage using its Armor x 2, except against Demolitions (explosives attached directly) or Indirect Combat spells (use only Armor). You add the adjusted DV after Damage Resistance to the number of cumulative damage boxes the barrier has taken, and if the number of boxes exceeds the Barrier's Structure Rating, you create a 1 square meter hole. Each equivalent Structure Rating unit creates another 1 meter hole (so if you do a total of 30 boxes of damage against a Structure Rating of 10, then you create a 3 square meter hole).

Vehicles use Reaction + Handling to avoid attacks (+ Vehicle Skill on top of that if using Full Defense) and Body + Armor to resist attacks. Vehicular/Hardened Armor stops attacks cold, just like in SR3 (if the modified DV of the attack after Damage Resistance doesn't exceed the Armor, then it does no damage). GMs are encouraged to use the "Automatic 4 dice for 1 Hit" rule when determining whether or not light arms would penetrate and do damage. Vehicles range in Body from 4 (for a motorcycle) to 16 (Ares Citymaster, which also incidentally has an armor rating of 20). Note: AV Missiles and Rockets have -6 AP against vehicles.
blakkie
What about small arms AV slugs, is that in with AV missles? Or are they [bizzarely] inferior to Ex-ex in this catagory?

GMs are encouraged to use the "Automatic 4 dice for 1 Hit" rule when determining whether or not light arms would penetrate and do damage.

Killjoys, i want to take out a Lonestar 'Master with a lucky roll on my Predator IV combined with an unlucky damage reduction roll. nyahnyah.gif

Also, what happens to the slug that penatrates a barrier [easily]. Can it do damage to a target on the other side? I'm thinking shooting people through typical gyproc walls or office cubical panels.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
What about small arms AV slugs, is that in with AV missles? Or are they [bizzarely] inferior to Ex-ex in this catagory?

AV rounds do not exist, although I'm assuming that the AP mods from explosive and APDS rounds still apply against Vehicle Armor (this is a rather large assumption to make, I know).
Also, what happens to the slug that penetrates a barrier [easily]. Can it do damage to a target on the other side? I'm thinking shooting people through typical gyproc walls or office cubical panels.
As long as you exceed the Barrier's Armor rating with your DV, it will penetrate, but the person on the other side gets the benefit of the Barrier's Armor (added to the target's own Armor/Body).
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Aug 22 2005, 06:38 AM)
Also, what happens to the slug that penetrates a barrier [easily]. Can it do damage to a target on the other side? I'm thinking shooting people through typical gyproc walls or office cubical panels.

As long as you exceed the Barrier's Armor rating with your DV, it will penetrate, but the person on the other side gets the benefit of the Barrier's Armor (added to the target's own Armor/Body).

So basically any [modified] DV over the Barrier Armor rating is the new DV that the person behind faces?

EDIT: And how would it handle that i'm shooting blind? I've already rolled. Or do i have to declare up front i was trying to hit them and split my roll 2 where i have both rolls total to calculate penetration but the group with the blind penalty removed to determine if i hit the person (and not counting the hits in the penalty group for the DV on the person)?

P.S. Is there a list of typical barrier armor ratings?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
So basically any [modified] DV over the Barrier Armor rating is the new DV that the person behind faces?

Erm, no. What happens is that you take the modified DV on the attack, and if it's below the Armor Rating, it doesn't penetrate. Otherwise, you roll the attack normally (and a -6 Blind Fire modifier unless the barrier is transparent), using your Base DV, and the defender rolls normally (adding the Barrier's Armor Rating to his/her resistance test). This is one case where APDS shines, since I believe you can apply the AP modifier to both the Barrier Armor rating AND the Armor worn by the target (effectively double-dipping), but don't quote me on this (I haven't seen any examples of this in the book).

Note that the table that I gave above for modifying DVs only applies to damaging the barrier itself and not a "normal" attack through a barrier.
P.S. Is there a list of typical barrier armor ratings?
It's actually very similar to the table in SR3 (use Barrier Rating as the Armor Rating). The structure ratings are a linear progression of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, etc. as the Barrier Rating (now Armor Rating) goes up.
blakkie
A loophole! You can layer armor still. The downside is that the outer layer has to be a box. I wonder what the social skill modifiers are for walking around inside an office cubicle that you put wheels under? wink.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
A loophole! You can layer armor still. The downside is that the outer layer has to be a box. I wonder what the social skill modifiers are for walking around inside an office cubicle that you put wheels under? wink.gif

Well, I'd rule that it would be the same as vehicles. You can aim at the passenger or the vehicle under vehicle combat, and if you aim for the passenger, they get the benefit of the vehicle's armor (in this case, your steel box), but they also have -2 dice to defend.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Aug 22 2005, 07:00 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 22 2005, 07:55 AM)
A loophole! You can layer armor still. The downside is that the outer layer has to be a box. I wonder what the social skill modifiers are for walking around inside an office cubicle that you put wheels under?  wink.gif

Well, I'd rule that it would be the same as vehicles. You can aim at the passenger or the vehicle under vehicle combat, and if you aim for the passenger, they get the benefit of the vehicle's armor (in this case, your steel box), but they also have -2 dice to defend.

Good idea, motorize the wheels! silly.gif Like the Popemobile, only not so infailable.

EDIT: Oops, getting a bit OT. Thanks for the answers.
maeel
can you give all the stats of the citymaster, for comparison with SR3 version, thx.
Penta
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Then the barrier resists against damage using its Armor x 2, except against Demolitions (explosives attached directly) or Indirect Combat spells (use only Armor).

What about indirect explosives (Landmines, truck bombs, aircraft gone 9/11 style, etc)?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Penta)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Aug 22 2005, 07:19 AM)
Then the barrier resists against damage using its Armor x 2, except against Demolitions (explosives attached directly) or Indirect Combat spells (use only Armor).

What about indirect explosives (Landmines, truck bombs, aircraft gone 9/11 style, etc)?

Resists with Armor x 2, as usual. They said "Explosives attached directly" specifically in the rules.
Penta
I note a basic failing of the rules, then.

You can't do roadside bombs and landmines like we've seen in most of the ME for the past 20 years.
blakkie
QUOTE (Penta @ Aug 22 2005, 08:32 AM)

You can't do roadside bombs and landmines like we've seen in most of the ME for the past 20 years.

Anti-vehicle landmines i would think are something different than normal explosives. Whether the BBB has proper rules to deal with that class of weapon, or we have to wait for the suppliment for canon answer, is another question.

Also a GM might count landmines as in contact if they are triggered by pressure or very close proximity.

EDIT: Speaking of which, "chunky salsa"?
hahnsoo
I think what they are getting at is that there are two ways to make a barrier crumble easily, with a Power Bolt or with a Demolitions roll and your explosive of choice.
6thDragon
Are Ex explosive and APDS ammo available at character generation?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (6thDragon)
Are Ex explosive and APDS ammo available at character generation?

No, as they are both above Availability of 12 at character creation.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Penta)

I betcha, one thing that hasn't changed. The GM has final say over the rules and can change them to fit his game/the situation. So I doubt theres a acual failing in the rules there.
6thDragon
Finally a knife will do more damage than an unarmed attack!!! That was one of the biggest issues I've always had with the rules from all previous editions. And it looks like a (light) pistol will do about the same amount of damage as an unarmed attack from a strong attacker.
Bull
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
QUOTE (Penta @ Aug 22 2005, 09:32 AM)

I betcha, one thing that hasn't changed. The GM has final say over the rules and can change them to fit his game/the situation. So I doubt theres a acual failing in the rules there.

One thing to note here is that one of the goals with SR4 is to put all the core, important rules in the main book, but also to keep the core rules simple still. Rob said that the expansion books will generally have more complex advanced rules as well as optional rules in them. So chances are things like this will probably end up in there,

Bull
Bull
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
QUOTE (Penta @ Aug 22 2005, 09:32 AM)

Actually, by the core rules, EX-Explosive rounds (Which are a step up from "regular" Explosive Rounds) are Availability 12F, which is technically available at Chargen, since 12 is the limit.

I would add, however, that Glitching on your attack roll is not the only time Explosive ammo can "cook off". getting caught in an explosion and being caught in a fireball can make EX ammo do nasty things.

Plus, while Explosive ammo can be fired froma silenced/sound suppressed weapon, I highly doubt it's a silent explosion. It's nota large explosion, but it's definately gonn a makes some noise, especially the EX rounds.

Bull
Bull
QUOTE (blakkie)
[QUOTE=Penta,Aug 22 2005, 08:32 AM]EDIT: Speaking of which, "chunky salsa"?

Still around.
Bull
QUOTE (maeel)
can you give all the stats of the citymaster, for comparison with SR3 version, thx.

Sure, why not.

Handling: -1, Accel: 5/30, Speed: 120, Pilot: 3, Body: 16, Armor: 20, Sensor: 3, Avail: 20R, Cost: 51,200¥

Bull
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Bull)
Actually, by the core rules, EX-Explosive rounds (Which are a step up from "regular" Explosive Rounds) are Availability 12F, which is technically available at Chargen, since 12 is the limit.

That's not what p300 in the gear section says. It says Availability 8. Of course, flipping back to p 84, it says Availability 12.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012