Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4: Combat & Gear
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Autarkis
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Tom Rooney is a true joker.
Just zoom in on the combat glasses, or the pain inducer.

Wouldn't the combat glasses quote be a little painful and uncomfortable for both parties?
Rotbart van Dainig
Armor Modifications range from 1-6.

What, except from a lack of cash, hinders one to get all of them at level 6?

QUOTE (Autarkis)
Wouldn't the combat glasses quote be a little painful and uncomfortable for both parties?

judging from the fact that bigger prothetics are made today, I imagine the Pain Induce Quote much more ugly in the same contexts. wink.gif
blakkie
Seeking clarification on recoil.

Since the example in the BBB is the suxxor, i'd like one that is more enlightening:

First Simple Action I fire my SMG in a [3 round] burst. My SMG has 1 point of recoil compensation, so after removing one point from the -2 recoil I have a -1 recoil penaly that applies to that attack. For the second Simple Action i fire another [3 round] burst at the same target. For this attack do i have a -3 recoild modifer (what is listed for the second burst in the Ranged Attack Modifiers table) to apply to my dice pool or do i have a -4 modifer (-3 for the second burst plus the -1 recoil modifier that applied to the first attack)?
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 13 2005, 04:20 AM)

Since the example in the BBB is the suxxor, i'd like one that is more enlightening:

First Simple Action I fire my SMG in a [3 round] burst. My SMG has 1 point of recoil compensation, so after removing one point from the -2 recoil I have a -1 recoil penaly that applies to that attack. For the second Simple Action i fire another [3 round] burst at the same target. For this attack do i have a -3 recoild modifer (what is listed for the second burst in the Ranged Attack Modifiers table) to apply to my dice pool or do i have a -4 modifer (-3 for the second burst plus the -1 recoil modifier that applied to the first attack)?

Since no one else seems to have mentioned it so far...

As well as the Fichetti Pain Inducer and the Monofilament Chainsaw, there is one another amusing new piece I can't recall seeing before:

The Elephant Rifle.

Two barrel, break-action rifle that does more damage than either of the core-book sniper rifles, although its armor penetration is worse. And you can fire both barrels together for even more damage!

What's more, it's only Restricted, while the sniper rifles are Forbidden. Why do I get the feeling that a lot more shadowrunners are now going to have "Really Big Game Hunting" knowledge skills? biggrin.gif
MortVent
well have you seen those damn armadillos running around texas and the great plains? nyahnyah.gif
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern)

What's more, it's only Restricted, while the sniper rifles are Forbidden. Why do I get the feeling that a lot more shadowrunners are now going to have "Really Big Game Hunting" knowledge skills?

I was running a 2-gunfu type with paired SuperWarhawks. Well, he referred to them as BFRs: Biggest, Finest, Revolvers. Right now, in the real world, Magnum Research makes BFR's in .44, .45, .454, and the horrifying .500 and .45-70. The last two are almost half-again as powerful as the 454. And holy god, is the .500 a big gun. The range I belong to has one availabe for rent.

These massive examples of machismo actually serve a purpose: self defense from bears and other large predators you may encounter when hunting or on safari in the bush. My character's story was he left London "for his health," ended up in North Africa bodyguarding some rich folks on safari and kept the BFRs as part of his payment before he migrated around to Hong Kong and then Seattle.

Now switch it to 2070 where you have meta-tigers, shapeshifters, and drakes out there.
hobgoblin
self defence against bears and other large predators?

last time i checked bears do not go after people unless get to close to their cubs or drop in unexpected (sounds a bit like some people with guns in a way silly.gif ).

now if we are talking big cats thats a diffrent story as they seems to think of everything smaller then say a elephant as a walking meal. thank god we are not the prefered meat.

still, i can see more use for big guns in the way of self defence in the 6th world, for reasons allready stated. we are no longer near the top of the food chain. most likely the only thing keeping us alive are massive amounts of firepower and the rareity of the big beasts...

on that subject. what other creatures besides dragons and spirits are coverd by the big book this time round? i kinda liked how SR2 had a small section of monster you could drop in at times to point out that hello, this isnt our world any more nyahnyah.gif (as if that 2+ M and 300+ Kg with horns at the door was not a indication enough silly.gif )
hahnsoo
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
on that subject. what other creatures besides dragons and spirits are coverd by the big book this time round? i kinda liked how SR2 had a small section of monster you could drop in at times to point out that hello, this isnt our world any more nyahnyah.gif (as if that 2+ M and 300+ Kg with horns at the door was not a indication enough silly.gif )

From this particularly informative thread by Talia:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=9582

Barghest, devil rat, ghoul, hell hound, merrow, naga, sasquatch, thunderbird, vampire, wendigo, spirit of: air, beasts, earth, fire, man, water, watchers, eastern and western dragons, feathered serpents, leviathans and great dragon mods.
hobgoblin
enough to have a unprepaired team call uncle nyahnyah.gif

nothing like having them run into a wendigo when up north looking for out of the way corp property wink.gif

add some bad weather and presto, things start to get realy interesting vegm.gif
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
self defence against bears and other large predators?

last time i checked bears do not go after people unless get to close to their cubs or drop in unexpected (sounds a bit like some people with guns in a way

This is where that Big Game Hunting Knowsoft comes in handy.

Since technically any hiker in the back country "drops by unexpected" as far as the bear is concerned, bears are a threat. Bad karma can mean that a group of nature-friendly, granola eating hippy-types venturing into remote areas walk around a tree and find Mama Bear and her three cubs. If these are 60's ultra-peacenik hippy icons you'd see on TV they offer the Bear some weed, get eaten, and possibly get the bears high. If these are rational hippies that want to live, they speak softly and slowly raise their arms out to the sides to look less like other animals, staying low to look short, avoid eye contact, and draw one of these BFRs while praying they don't need to pull the trigger.

Most people, including park rangers, in those areas would carry a rifle. Rifles, however, are hunting weapons suitable for use at range. This alone can get you in trouble with some rangers or property owners who think you are poaching. Alternately, someone else could be poaching and you get blamed for it. A BFRevolver is pretty much useless for hunting at ranges beyond 100 yards. Even if you've got it sighted in at 100 yards, at 50 yards you've got ~3" of loft. Besides, the slug of a .500/454/45-70 is significantly different from that of a .30-06, .300 magnum or many of the typical hunting rifles. As long as your BFR doesn't have a scope, you probably aren't hunting.

But I digress a bit. Shadowrunners are quite likely to be asked to go gallivanting around the wilderness for many reasons. Guard duty for smugglers, helping the mage quest for some talismongering, a classic bug hunt, making a run on a facility whose primary defense is isolation, etc.

Many such tasks are legal, or at least sufficiently legal that a fake SIN can manage the licenses, giving you justification for your BFR and possibly some of your cyber.
Elldren
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Many such tasks are legal, or at least sufficiently legal that a fake SIN can manage the licenses, giving you justification for your BFR and possibly some of your cyber.

Or, failing that, relatively convincing fake licenses are affordable and not too difficult to get.
ef31415
QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
like say downloading the wireing diagram of a maglock from shadowland when you need to get thru that door NOW!?

I don't think that's quite relevant.
[ Spoiler ]

Maybe, maybe not. The last we heard of the Captain was that his matrix identity had survived, but was looking at a
DELETE? [Y/N]
prompt.

When the somebody asks you if you want to delete yourself, say NO!

hahnsoo
QUOTE (ef31415)
Maybe, maybe not. The last we heard of the Captain was that his matrix identity had survived, but was looking at a
DELETE? [Y/N]
prompt.

When the somebody asks you if you want to delete yourself, say NO!

[ Spoiler ]
cartoonlad
Looking over the rules, I don't see why anyone would ever upgrade their cyberware.

You lose Essence when installing cyber and bioware and once gone, it's gone. Say you've got a character with two full cyberlimbs, purchased at chargen as basic cyberware. That's a 2 point Essence hole right there. Later in the game, the character wants to upgrade to delta-grade limbs, which only would do 1 point of Essence loss. Is the character's new Essence total 3 or 4?

My gut feeling is she doesn't lose any additional Essence because of this, but she then doesn't have 1 full point of Essence to play with, such as being able to buy 1 free point of headware as that surgery and replacement of body parts would do Essence damage.

So why would anyone ever want to upgrade? It seems that cybered and bio-modified characters are at a disadvantage by not having any incentive to to upgrade to better 'ware when every other type of character seems to be able to improve their abilities in some way. All they get is a huge bill from the street doc.

It seems that if you really want to play a heavily-cybered or bio-modified character, you should play a non-cybered character for several game sessions until you can afford to get your arms and legs lopped off. (Which is too much like a D&D Prestige Class for me: "You want to play this type of character? Well, try playing this other type of character for a few months first.")
hahnsoo
Traditionally, removing and replacing a piece of cyberware with a higher grade version leaves an Essence "hole" which you can use up with other upgrades. In other words, every time you gain a new piece of 'ware, you calculate the current Essence Loss total based on the addition of the new 'ware. While you can't regain Essence this way, you can forestall further Essence loss of new implants by leaving open the difference between the old and new part's Essence cost.

I don't see any specific language in the book that prevents this for any reason. Also, such rules weren't really described in full in any of the BBB's (AFAIK).
mintcar
QUOTE (blakkie)

I think the old way were the second shot would recieve the uncompencated modifiers from the first shot was good, but I do think that is not the case anymore. Try reading the rules for recoil like you didn´t know about the former mechanics:
Weapons that fire more than one round in an Action Phase suff er from an escalating recoil modifi er as the rounds leave the weapon. Semi-automatic weapons that fire a second shot receive a –1 dice pool modifier for the second shot only. Burst-fi re weapons receive a –2 recoil modifier for the first burst fi red in that Action Phase and –3 for the second. Long bursts suff er –5 (fi rst burst in phase) or –6 recoil (second). Full auto bursts suffer –9 recoil. Characters can only counter a recoil modifier with recoil compensation or gyro stabilization

Wouldn´t you say that it seems pretty clear then? You would never think the recoil from the first shot carried over to the second if that was not the case in previous editions.
Fortune
Rob has already answered this question in this thread. As you can see, uncompensated recoil does indeed carry over to the second shot/burst.
mintcar
smile.gif That needs an errata. There is no way to guess that by reading what it says in the rulebook unless you played previous editions. Heh, it says "escalating modifier" then there´s a series of examples of how the second shot gets a greater modifier, thereby eliminating any assumptions about the "escalating modifier" phrase indicating accumulation. (wonder why they added the extra complication of increasing recoil modifiers for the second shot if the modifiers are still cumulative anyway!!?? It feels like this will get some frowns from my players when I try to explain how recoil works.)
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar)
smile.gif That needs an errata. There is no way to guess that by reading what it says in the rulebook unless you played previous editions. Heh, it says "escalating modifier" then there´s a series of examples of how the second shot gets a greater modifier, thereby eliminating any assumptions about the "escalating modifier" phrase indicating accumulation. (wonder why they added the extra complication of increasing recoil modifiers for the second shot if the modifiers are still cumulative anyway!!?? It feels like this will get some frowns from my players when I try to explain how recoil works.)

Just print off the example i started and Rob finished. It covers all the stuff.
mintcar
If only the actual rules in the book could be so clear... It´s a bit funny that they managed to screw up that explanation so horribly bad smile.gif .
Rotbart van Dainig
Since Cyberware Scanners now are cheap, passive sensors based on millimetric video, possible even for RFID Sensor tags, I'm wondering whether we'll see Millimetric Vision as Eye Enhancements (with a fixed capacity cost like Thermographic Vision) in Augmention.
Azralon
QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 25 2005, 02:51 AM)
QUOTE (Space Ghost @ Aug 24 2005, 11:55 PM)
Do wound modifiers affect movement rates? i always find it fishy when an rpg allows half-dead characters to sprint around while holding their guts in.

They effect sprinting which requires a skill test and wound modifiers affect skill tests.

But it does not look like they affect running rates, unless they decrease initiative score to 0. Then the character gets no actions. Running requires an action.

Just noticed something fragged. If wound modifiers reduce a characters initiative score to 0, they get no actions. However, walking requires no action to perform, so the character could just walk away.

Well, it'd be more like "If your character is that messed up, all he can manage to do is move around. He can't run; the best he can manage is walking speed."
Azralon
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Sep 10 2005, 10:47 AM)
I grabbed my physics from here.  I skimmed the article and saw the max range was 340m but missed the section on wind resistance reducing it to 240m. 

If we use a modern bow with increased efficiency (e=1.1) and a much more aerodynamic arrow (c=0.0005) the max range (factoring in wind resistance) goes up to ~330m.  Now let's double the mass of the arrow and double the arrow length.  This troll bow with the same pull as a medieval longbow goes to 475m.  Since the English had entire units of archers, let's say that was for strength 5. 

Triple the pull on the bow to STR:15, since I think SR4 strength scales linearly, and you get an absolute max range of 1100m.  While this is the "spray and pray" range, it is still laws-of-physics possible.  eek.gif

FYI, I did the math on this for SR2 once I'd finshed enough engineering courses in college so I already knew these grade of bows were plausible.

I recall doing the math on an SR3 bow fired by a Giant (Troll variant subrace) with max strength. If he could fire one arrow and hit a target at his maximum range every combat turn (3 seconds), then his projectiles would have to be breaking the sound barrier.

So basically you're looking at a slim supersonic missile. Be sure to Dikote the thing so you can take on tanks.

.... With your BOW. eek.gif

EDIT: Curiosity got the best of me, and yep travelling 1100 meters in 3 seconds is just slightly supersonic. With the inclusion of additional initative passes, one has to wonder when sanity should clear its throat and speak up. smile.gif
RunnerPaul
This may just be me, but so what if the arrows end up supersonic? The tip of a cracking bullwhip goes supersonic too. Yet no one worries about a guy attacking a tank with a bullwhip.
Nikoli
Ya know, the supersonic arrow is fine with me as a GM, for one sinple thing. the bow at that point is no longer "silent" as the arrow creates a boom (and consequently so does the string IIRC) so no silence without magic, and it becomes a very obvious weapon when used.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
This may just be me, but so what if the arrows end up supersonic? The tip of a cracking bullwhip goes supersonic too. Yet no one worries about a guy attacking a tank with a bullwhip.

Partial incorrect. The 'cracker', or thin string at the end of the bullwhip, breaks the sound barrier not the whip itself. Secondly there is a difference between a small piece of string and a carbon arrow shaft (the substance most commonly used today in hunting arrows due to its resilliance and the fact it does not warp) and possibly a exploding tip on the arrow or at the very least a steel broadhead.

And considering most bows today you'll see people firing with speeds of 280fps to a bit over 300fps and the sheer damage they can do at those speeds...breaking the sound barrier with a arrow would inflict a great deal of dammage.
Austere Emancipator
As long as the arrow has a cutting broadhead or any kind of very acute point (as nearly all arrowheads are), making the arrow move much faster than they already do would provide very little advantage terminal ballistics-wise. The wound created by a broadhead arrow passing through a human will be almost identical with a supersonic arrow as with an arrow moving at 300fps.

To make use of the extreme velocity, you'd have to have a rather blunt point that causes tissue to be ejected sideways out of the path of the arrow. I'm pretty sure you could create more lethal wounds by simply increasing the diameter of the ridges of the broadhead. For example, to create a wound 2" in diameter, you'd need a completely blunted arrow 0.5" in diameter impacting at 1260fps or a 2" diameter broadhead moving at 280fps, and the latter will probably penetrate deeper with only 1/20th the kinetic energy.

I'm not an expert on the physics of how bows release their energy, but it is my understanding that it's simply not possible for modern bows to launch an arrow at supersonic speeds regardless of how powerful they are or how light the arrow. That's not to say that couldn't be done some time in the future, but the bow might look quite a bit more futuristic than our modern cam bows, and terminal effectiveness would not be to reason to do it. More likely, it'd be done just to prove a point, or to create a bow enthusiasts equivalent of a Smith & Wesson .460 Magnum.
kigmatzomat
I redid the math I originally posted and it resulted in a velocity of 515 fps. I've found a few apocryphal mentions of high pull bows getting velocities of around 700fps ( roughly 2/3rds the speed of sound) that weren't laughed at simply b/c of the pull weight.

The break is the forced 3 second flight time. That's a game mechanic limitation, not reality. A real arrow would have a flight time of 5+ seconds.

As an aside, The Book of the Crossbow by Ralph Payne-Gallwey has a verified 937 yard crossbow shot using a medieval-style turkish crossbow.
Azralon
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
The break is the forced 3 second flight time. That's a game mechanic limitation, not reality.

Exactly. The game also does fun stuff to archery if your troll has 4 initiative passes.

At some point, artillery rules and delay-until-impact considerations have to be used when you're talking about that sort of range. smile.gif
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
As long as the arrow has a cutting broadhead or any kind of very acute point (as nearly all arrowheads are), making the arrow move much faster than they already do would provide very little advantage terminal ballistics-wise. The wound created by a broadhead arrow passing through a human will be almost identical with a supersonic arrow as with an arrow moving at 300fps.

To make use of the extreme velocity, you'd have to have a rather blunt point that causes tissue to be ejected sideways out of the path of the arrow. I'm pretty sure you could create more lethal wounds by simply increasing the diameter of the ridges of the broadhead. For example, to create a wound 2" in diameter, you'd need a completely blunted arrow 0.5" in diameter impacting at 1260fps or a 2" diameter broadhead moving at 280fps, and the latter will probably penetrate deeper with only 1/20th the kinetic energy.

I'm not an expert on the physics of how bows release their energy, but it is my understanding that it's simply not possible for modern bows to launch an arrow at supersonic speeds regardless of how powerful they are or how light the arrow. That's not to say that couldn't be done some time in the future, but the bow might look quite a bit more futuristic than our modern cam bows, and terminal effectiveness would not be to reason to do it. More likely, it'd be done just to prove a point, or to create a bow enthusiasts equivalent of a Smith & Wesson .460 Magnum.

Well you start getting into areodynamic concerns at tha point. But those asside.

Yes most of the arrows energy is not tranfered with impact. You want a razor sharp blade and a wide cutting diamiter (assuming the head is areodynamic enough not to throw accuracy off and at the speeds we're talking mechanical broadheads, as they stand now, are simply not a option). Most arrow damage is done through internal bleeding. That said, a arrow moving at super sonic speeds is going to go right through a person shredding anything in its path, and partialy into the guy behind him..or into the wall...or pin the original guy to the wall (depending on where it hits) ala scorpion king style.

And yes there are modern bows that can shoot upwards of 700fps. Crossbows and the like also shoot a bit faster but you're also talking 100+lb pulls. The bows I was refering too are 70-80lb pulls. And those, even for strong people, are very hard to pull back untill you build up the correct muscles. Yes you use alot different muscles pulling back a bowstring, so sure you may be able to bench 400lbs that doesn't nessecarily mean you can pull back 80 on a bow wink.gif much less hold it there for 2+ mins while your target moves to a position you can shoot smile.gif.

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Most arrow damage is done through internal bleeding.

Fancy that, just like a bullet. wink.gif

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
That said, a arrow moving at super sonic speeds is going to go right through a person shredding anything in its path [...]

So will a normal hunting broadhead at 300fps, although I'm not sure if "shredding" is the right word. "Slicing" or "cutting" might be closer for much of the soft tissue.

Since modern cam bows with 80lb pull weights still don't tend to get much higher than the high 300's, around 400 at the highest, I kinda doubt you could get to 700fps, even with very light arrows, even if the pull weight was well over 100lbs. 700fps takes ~3 times as much energy to achieve as 400fps, and there will be much less time to deposit that energy on the arrow. Still, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if someone managed to build some kind of freak bow just to get to 700fps.
Nikoli
"It's the 88-Magnum. It shoots through school buildings."
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Most arrow damage is done through internal bleeding.

Fancy that, just like a bullet. wink.gif

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
That said, a arrow moving at super sonic speeds is going to go right through a person shredding anything in its path [...]

So will a normal hunting broadhead at 300fps, although I'm not sure if "shredding" is the right word. "Slicing" or "cutting" might be closer for much of the soft tissue.

Since modern cam bows with 80lb pull weights still don't tend to get much higher than the high 300's, around 400 at the highest, I kinda doubt you could get to 700fps, even with very light arrows, even if the pull weight was well over 100lbs. 700fps takes ~3 times as much energy to achieve as 400fps, and there will be much less time to deposit that energy on the arrow. Still, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if someone managed to build some kind of freak bow just to get to 700fps.

Some of the old Sioux bows were 300lbs just had a very short stroke. And some crossbows I believe can get up in that range (most modern ones can't however).

Oh and the bleeding bit. They're far more effective at that than any bullet. compare what, a 7.62mm diamiter cartridge to a 2" cutting diamiter of some modern broad heads. And ushualy its either a Y cut or a X cut (depending on 3 or 4 blades, the two most common configurations).

But yeah with 300fps being able to get complete passthrough on a 28-30" arrow (not including broadhead) using a deer as a target (assuming good shot placement too) and the amount of internal damage that can cause I'd shudder to think of the results of a supersonic one wink.gif. Actualy the person probably wouldn't notice it, just like bears don't figuiring it to be a bee sting...till well they notice their clothes are soaked with blood and pass out wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Oh and the bleeding bit. They're far more effective at that than any bullet. compare what, a 7.62mm diamiter cartridge to a 2" cutting diamiter of some modern broad heads.

I was simply pointing out that all lethal penetrating projectiles count either on causing a loss of blood pressure or damaging the CNS for killing people, because, well, that's the only way a human being can be killed.

But you might want to revise that statement a bit. A 7.62x51mm bullet can fragment upon hitting a human being, tearing a number of small wounds into surrounding tissue, and the pressures involved will rip that flesh all open, resulting in an actual wound diameter as large as 10-15cm across. And, if you really want to compare with all bullets, I'm thinking a .460 Weatherby Magnum SP would beat that by quite a margin. Or how about a nice .50 BMG frangible...

The actual diameter of the bullet is closely matched with the diameter of the resulting wound when you've got solid bullets with either round (at lower velocities) or sharp spitzer (at higher velocities) points, the bullet doesn't tumble, and penetrates mostly very flexible tissues. Often happens in the military, and when people use handguns with poor ammunition for the job. Happens rarely (unless the ammunition malfunctions) when hunting or using a firearm for defense.

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
But yeah with 300fps being able to get complete passthrough on a 28-30" arrow (not including broadhead) using a deer as a target (assuming good shot placement too) and the amount of internal damage that can cause I'd shudder to think of the results of a supersonic one wink.gif.

The results would be exactly the same. Unless the arrows break upon hitting the deer, you'd get a wound that looks almost exactly like the one with the 300fps arrow.

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Actualy the person probably wouldn't notice it [...]

They might, they might not. The way the nervous system reacts to such sudden injuries is difficult, if not impossible, to predict.
Nikoli
I dunno, if my glasses shattered a second after a nasty bug-bite, I think I'd investigate further.
Shadow_Prophet
True enough, bullets do tend to leave larger exit wounds depending on the round used. I'll certainly concede that point.

As for the wound...I'd think it would depend really. Haven't realy seen a arrow move that fast so its hard to tell exactly how a body would react to it. It may cause tearing inside along with the cutting. But its possible that i'd be the exact same, unless it hit a bone, then it would depend upon the tip of the arrowhead, then i most definately think the faster arrow would cause much more dammage.

Austere Emancipator
It's not just a question of exit wounds. They can make holes, or areas of full of bloody mess, inside someone that can be pretty damn big. This picture, which I already linked above, shows how a 7.62x51mm SP can create a wound 10cm or greater in diameter from the 10th penetrated cm of tissue to the 20th. On a clear frontal shot to an average adult male torso, the 10th cm of penetration is really getting to the Good Stuff inside the thorax, and at an angle or with an arm in front that's all going to end up inside the target.

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
It may cause tearing inside along with the cutting.

Yes, I suppose it's possible that the leading edge of the blades would be moving fast enough to tear the tissue instead of cutting it, but you'd still be left with an X- or Y-shaped wound about 2" in diameter. With a very sharp angle at the leading edge and extremely thin blades, at a velocity as "low" as ~1000-1500fps, the "sideways ejection" of tissue will be insignificant and will lead to no real increase in the size of the wound. To make use of this effect, you' have to use a round-nosed or blunted arrow -- which would be a horrible idea because of other considerations.

Bones might be damaged over a larger area, or even be "shattered" to an extend, with a supersonic arrow, that is true. However, considering how rarely that is an issue with rifle shots, I doubt it would really matter with arrows.
Azralon
QUOTE (GreyWil)
Question on the power of a weapon when used by a Troll.

... So, yes, in response to your question, troll archers are indeed "teh scaree." smile.gif
Nikoli
Anyone else think of using a holoprojector to make your bike look like it has a rider while it is driving itself somewhere?
Yes the deception is sadly easy to see through, the average person might not see through it.
I ask because I was considering having a bike with upgraded pilot, etc. with a holoprojector to act as a decoy from being followed.
Azralon
Why install it on your ride at all? Use a cheaper drone and project the image of the bike, too.

Don't forget the sound system for realistic "vroom, vroom" noises.
Nikoli
Cause drones aren't that fast. Besides, I can ride the bike too.
Azralon
Fair enough. I'd just hate for the price tag of the ruse to be one vehicle.
Nikoli
Oh, it's not a use and dispose thing. It's" hmm, my teammate needs a ride, all I have is my bike and I don't want to leave cause I'm watching this mark, if I send the bike riderless, it'll raise suspicion."
Azralon
Ahhh, okay. Well, a car would serve as well and you wouldn't have to worry about holograms at all (with the mirrored/polarized windows). But I imagine you have a bike for either an expense or style issue. smile.gif
Siege
Some inherent limitations on the amount of options that can be built into eyewear would be a good idea - otherwise contacts are now the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Options limited on the medium (monocle, goggles, contacts) as well as a price multiplier - building an option into contact lenses would and should be more expensive than incorporating the same option into a monocle or goggles.

-Siege
Nikoli
remember each option adds to the availability, which means harder to come by.
Feshy
I can't seem to find it anywhere -- how many rounds does the cost of ammunition buy you? The prices seem in line with SR3, and so my guess is that the number of rounds is the same, but I haven't seen wording to that effect. Then again, it's not like the ammo rules don't need some tweaking anyway...
apple
QUOTE ("SR4 314")

Ammunition, per 10 shots

SYL
Feshy
Thanks, apple. I figured I was just missing it somewhere.
SL James
BTW, what exactly is in a cybercommlink? SR4 says it's an "implanted version of the commlink" (330). Okay. So, the description of commlinks says, "the standard commlink contains most of the following features: music player, micro-trid/holo projector/“touch-screen” display, camcorder, microphone, image/text scanner, RFID tag reader, GPS (global positioning system, triangulated from registered local wireless nodes), roll-up Velcro-fastening keyboard, chip player, credstick reader, retractable earbuds, voice-access controls, and a shock and water-resistant case" (317-18).

Speaking of stupid assumptions, I can ignore the shock and water-resistant case part, but one can also reasonably assume given the description (or lack thereof) that for .2 essence your cybercommlink includes a display link, transducer, subdermal speakers, subvocal microphone, chipjack (chip player), datajack (for the credsticks), internal GPS cyber, audio recorder, camera/camcorder, RFID tag reader and scanner (a super-duper optical scanning datajack), and a holo-projector.

Badass!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012