Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diary Of A Madman’s Lab Rat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
stevebugge
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I wonder if he'll use the already canon mind-control kittens or go even further and make a brand new strain and supercat.

Who am I kidding. There is no doubt. Newcats it is.

Scan the Anime Libraries for ideas.....I'm sure that's where they will emerge from, unless he stumbles across some old "Thundercats" re-runs on Teh Intarnet spin.gif
Crusher Bob
Cat!cat!cat!cat! Like those kittens?
Shrike30
Hey, throwing a cat you've just shot full of a cocktail of Cram and Longhaul into the back seat of your target's car has always been a time-honored opening to a vehicular extraction effort.
Lurker69
Emo have you ever seen thunderCats before?
Grinder
Tahnk god he won't reply for some days...
FanGirl
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I wonder if he'll use the already canon mind-control kittens or go even further and make a brand new strain and supercat.

Who am I kidding. There is no doubt. Newcats it is.

Tell me more about these mind-control kittens. Even if the kittens who do show up aren't mind-control kittens, knowing about them might still be useful.
hyzmarca
Blackberry Cats. They look like normal black housecats but they certainly aren't. Their powers include but are not limited to Desire Reflection, Compulsion, Hypnotic Song, Blindness, Accident, Adaptive Coloration, and Enhanced Reflexes.

Some cultures consider them to be good luck. Others kill all black cats on sight just to be sure.

According to shadowtalk in Paranormal Animals of Europe a blackberry can successfully ran a popular religious cult known as the Children of Uranus before being found out.
In one mentioned case a clan of irate Scotts tried to burn a blackberry cat to death but it got the upper hand and forced half of them to commit suidice by walking into the fire themselves.

Blackberry cats can be great allies if you get on one's good side and are the most dangerous of foes if you make one of them angry. However, one should take great care when trusting a blackberry cat. They always look out for #1 and take great pleasure in manipulating people.

They can't resist catnip.
Kanada Ten
Don't forget about the Essence Kittens from TSS. Their basically vampire Blackberry kittens.
FanGirl
Thanks so much. Knowing Emo, he'll probably consider the blackberry kittens just awesome enough to not need altering. However, he'll also probably read this and feel obligated to change his plans just so I don't have the jump on him.
PBTHHHHT
Just remember to pack that catnip in your equipment bag.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Just remember to pack that catnip in your equipment bag.

No, no, no; remember to pack it in the redshirt's NPC's bag.
PBTHHHHT
Oh yeah, especially in case it's the vampiric kitty... Then the NPC would get eaten first you'd hope...

My bad.
FanGirl
April 12, 2006
(continued)

I followed a couple of friends to the meeting of our school’s Anime club tonight, and Emo was there along with one of the guys in the campaign. Emo had talked to this guy about his character earlier, and it had been decided that he would be our PhysAd. After Anime club was over, I walked part of the way back to my dorm with Emo. I told him about Fangirl’s motivation for becoming a runner: she literally cannot recall any aspect of her experience in the Crash 2.0., and she hopes to gain some sense of what happened through exploring the more secretive areas of the Matrix (like highly-classified databases, for instance). Emo stated that I had given him a brilliant idea for the campaign, and then forbade me from reading System Failure. “You can read anything before that,” he said, “but not System Failure.” Just as he was threatening to sic Deus on me if I didn't comply with this command, our paths diverged, so we said good night to each other. I went back to my dorm, took a shower, and am now typing this up. I expect I'll go to bed soon.
Dranem
You mean Emo's finally picking up some of the other sourcebooks instead of creating things up out of the blue? I think we're having an influence on him... wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 9 2006, 05:44 PM)
"LOL  I AM 73|-| 4VV350|\/|3 1 4|\/| 73|-| 6r117 nuyen.gif LOL."

(Note: I typed "LOL I AM TEH GRITTY LOL")

"SEV45./, /E G2 1 4 8283/ GFS 45^2R 432/ ; [ R 455# 1 FE " [ 78} \ 23 4 F / @@ 1 6F $ /; 46 DE { + 765 E nyahnyah.gif"

I said "Hi emo"

see you when you're let back in wink.gif
nick012000
What sort of encoding scheme is that, fisty?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
see you when you're let back in wink.gif

? Where is emo? Let back in? Did he get banned? How did I miss that!?
James McMurray
He got booted for a week. I'm not sure why, since I've seen others do a lot worse than what he did, but I probably don't have the whole story.
Shrike30
OK, now I wanna know, too...
Kleaner
FanGirl, I have never met Emo, but I can tell you how to run succesfully in his games in three easy steps.

1. Obtain elemental rock mecha suit.
2. Cast mana doughnut of obliterate.
3. Profit.
BlackHat
QUOTE (James McMurray)
He got booted for a week. I'm not sure why, since I've seen others do a lot worse than what he did, but I probably don't have the whole story.

Possibly because FanGirl said he was distributing a pdf of the SR4 rules? wink.gif I noticed that on page 1 and thought to myself that we should warn them that dumpshock doesn't take kindly to self-proclaimed pirates. wink.gif
James McMurray
Nah, it was in a thread where he and a guy were going back and forth insulting each other.
James McMurray
Besides, someone else saying it isn't exactly "self-proclaimed." wink.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Besides, someone else saying it isn't exactly "self-proclaimed." wink.gif

Touche!

Yeah, I would have thought that was a little over-the-top anyways.
stevebugge
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Nah, it was in a thread where he and a guy were going back and forth insulting each other.

That was probably it, that and I don't think anyone was too happy to see that particular thread brought back.
nezumi
Check out the Master Shake thread. And it's not like it's his first performance either.
BlackHat
I think my favorite thing about Emo is that I have a friend from college who is/was JUST like him.
James McMurray
So resurrecting a thread that people don't like is grounds for being booted? I read the later pages (post revival) and I've seen other folks toss insults back and forth with no problems. It's also not like it's the first time he's been attacked (sometimes with reason, sometimes without). When you get assaulted you tend to assault back.
hyzmarca
it isn't that he ressurrected the thread. It was the fact that he spammed that thread with a series of meaningless attention-getting posts after he ressurrected it.
James McMurray
Ah, because nothing else on DS is meaningless and attention getting? wink.gif
Shrike30
*shrug* A week off from a forum is more of a "dude, chill" than a "you are a horrible person and we hate you." It's gonna be kind of quiet around here for a week, tho nyahnyah.gif
PBTHHHHT
But read the last few posts he did, with the multiple posts over and over. If that's not spamming in combination with resurrecting the dead thread that had little to do with anything in regards to anything within the thread itself other than to say it's been revived, threadomancy or somesuch. Really, it doesn't have to be one particular thing but a combination that combined that can 'break the camel's back' so to speak.

Sure some of us might once in a while throw a meaningless attention getting post, but we don't try to exacerbate the situation by piling it on. And most of us do use the 'edit' command...

edit: That too, the week off was basically saying, chill out dude. This is the forums, take it easy and simmer down. ya hear?
Butterblume
Emo has to learn the limits, so the secret plan to turn him into a RAW abiding mindless rules lawyer within 6 months can succeed.
Shrike30
I thought that's what all the subliminals I keep catching during page loads were for?
FanGirl
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 13 2006, 01:28 PM)

Possibly because FanGirl said he was distributing a pdf of the SR4 rules? wink.gif I noticed that on page 1 and thought to myself that we should warn them that dumpshock doesn't take kindly to self-proclaimed pirates. wink.gif

Oh crap, now I feel bad. . . . It's not like he was handing out copies on the street, he just gave it to the people in the campaign. Is that so wrong?
Shrike30
*shrug* Technically, it's copyright violation. It doesn't seem likely that it's the thing he got suspended for, though.
James McMurray
Yep, it's illegal. But with any luck you'll like the game enough to go buy a hardback copy. smile.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (FanGirl)
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Apr 13 2006, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 13 2006, 01:28 PM)

Oh crap, now I feel bad. . . . It's not like he was handing out copies on the street, he just gave it to the people in the campaign. Is that so wrong?

Depends on who you ask. I imagine FanPro or whoever is financing SR nowadays is barely getting by... its not exactly the most popular of games...

If that company could either have all of the players in every group pay them for the book, or just have one... I know which one THEY'd prefer... and the law would be on their side.

That said, I would be surprised if the majority of hte people on Dumpshock didn't (at one time or another) illegally download a copy of the core rules.

Basically, its just like the whole downloading music thing. Everyone knows that people are doing it... just don't admit to doing it. biggrin.gif

I don't think Dumpshock is an official site or anything, but its probably the most official Shadowrun forum around and I still don't think they want to be known as a haven for lawbreakers. wink.gif
BlackHat
Also, as soon as people start condoning the free distribution of RPGs, the sooner they'll all start listening to devil music and playing violent videogames!!!!

Acutally, I would imagine that freely giving out the SR4 core rules could only HELP revive Shadowrun as a roleplaying game/system... the idea there being that if more people play it and like it, they might be willing to ACTUALLY pay for good splat-books... Problem being that there are none at the moment (cept some chinsy adventure and maybe a GM screen) and at the rate these books are coming out, they wouldn't be able to pay their employees for years. smile.gif

I do like WotC's "OpenGaming SRD" model for this reason... I am not equally thrilled about the d20 system.
Adam
QUOTE (BlackHat)

I had not noticed that post at the time, and therefore it didn't play into the suspension at all, which was purely for pointlessly resurrecting the Master Shake thread and then repeatedly posting into it pointlessly [or posting in it to "get the thread closed" -- but since the thread hadn't been posted to in over a year anyway, that logic does not fly.] Deliberately derailing threads can be cause for suspension, and coming so quickly on the heels of his second attempt at starting an off topic flame thread in the SR4 forum, I figured he could use some time off.

FanGirl: Since people who work for and freelance for FanPro [including myself] frequent these forums we prefer that you not talk about "borrowing" ebooks. If you enjoy the game, please consider buying your own copy of the book or ebook.

BlackHat: The RPG industry is pretty tough right now, but SR4 is doing damned well. smile.gif
stevebugge
The decision to make the SR3 Quickstart rules available for free as a PDF was a good marketing decision by Fanpro. Hopefully there is a similar product/concept in the works for SR4.
Valentinew
FanGirl - I'd recommend getting the actual book. In my group, I am currently the only one with an actual book. Even my GM is working off of a .pdf. On average, they ask to use my book (instead of whatever they printed out) at least 2-3 times per game, more often if we're doing something new/unusual.

It's just easier to flip through (even if the diehards here all agree it's not optimally organized). Me, in my über-geeky excitement over finally playing SR again (plus, I had all these flags lying around from work) flagged sections of the book (Combat, Magic, Programs, etc), so my GM loves to steal my book to look stuff up quickly.... cyber.gif
Kanada Ten
Most groups of casual gamers only have one core book, in my experience. By sharing ebooks, the hope is in spreading SR love, and when that happens more books are always sold.
James McMurray
I've never played with a group of people that liked a game and only had a single book available (at least not since high school).
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I've never played with a group of people that liked a game and only had a single book available (at least not since high school).

How many times do you have to play before you decide you like it? At least once, right? In my experience, college students have less cash than high school, and less books as well.
James McMurray
Right, which is why I said "liked a game." If we don't like it, we don't play it, so nobody buys one.

I had a lot more money for gaming supplies while in college, but was also less of a shoplifter, so my actual gaming supplies dwindled rather than grew.
FanGirl
I bought the book! My soul is now cleansed!
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Apr 13 2006, 09:58 AM)
What sort of encoding scheme is that, fisty?

that would be "gibberish"

oh , and my two cents: get books. I was the only one that had a book for the longest time and it was damn annoying. And besides that, I'm not a fan of pdf's as opposed to books. If I get a bok on pdf that I can no longer find in print, I'd rather print it. I don't get that new book smell, but at least I can read it on the couch instead of the damn computer "chair" (quotations because the chair is damn broke. not just broke, but damn broke).
James McMurray
Ah gibberish. The one true unbreakable code.
eidolon
I don't think you can say "I bought [SR4]" and "my soul is cleansed" in the same lifetime.

At least, not with a straight face.

wink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012