Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to the Future II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Lady Door
Singing a quiet song of hope, Morgana moves through the room, hoping that somehow Astendar will bless the small hall... will allow the memories to fade. Morgana's eyes search for doors, for hallways, anything that might take her into the offices of those who worked here.
Grinder
Ralo mumbles a short prayer to the Passions to bless the souls of the victims.

He flies through the rooms, on the look for the offices or any document he can find.
fistandantilus4.0
After a brief look around, Morgana comes to the conclusion that the meeting Hall is just that. A long hall where a lot of farmers sit and complain. There are no offices, or side rooms, or records kept. Not here at least. The villagers would really need to get more organized. The Wizard in her just wants to throttle someone for the lack of proper organization. Of course.. there'd have to be someone to throttle. The sobering thought calms her some.
Lady Door
I'm not seeing anything, Ralo. It's possible, and judging from this hall, more then likely... that they didn't keep anything like a town diary or journal. Should we move on?
Grinder
I haven't found anything too. Maybe we can search the rest of the village for survivors and then move on?
Lady Door
Morgana nods.
The windling is looking for survivors that won't be found. If it helps him find peace to look... there's no harm, I suppose.
fistandantilus4.0
Walking through the village is an exercise in nerves. Around every corner are remnants of the people that were here, and signs of what took them. A broken door way, or a pitch fork snapped in half. A ladder up to a roof, and loose thatching where someone tried to escape, and fell through, shows how desperate the situation must have been.
Spots of blood nourish the grass throughout the small village. Small farm animals move about the green as they please. Homes sit empty. This village, so quiet and full of life a week ago, is now just one more rotting corpse.

No bodies are found. No survivors. A thorough search shows a few barricaded basements where people tried to hide. There are even signs of people hiding in cupboards. No one was spared.

The trail is quiet obvious. Hundreds of feet have tramped a path in the grass, heading north toward Vanten. Tracks come from that way as well, and from the west, towards Amden. Only to the east, towards Coel, are there no tracks, no sign of the evil that consumed this place. Yet.
Lady Door
Looking at the tracks, Morgana can't help but think that maybe Vanten fell to the same tragedy.
Ralo, maybe we should try Coel. There are no tracks that way, maybe Coel was spared? Could it be that this entire territory has fallen to whatever this evil is?
For a moment, Morgana is overcome with grief and despair. The thought of continuing on, of finding more towns, more villages like this is more then she can bear. Then she remembers, a golden light and a promise. Resolve returned, Morgana looks up at Ralo, waiting for his reply.
fistandantilus4.0
Morgana/Ralo
As Morgana turns to look in the direction of Coel, she sees the siloutte of a man in robes not 200 yards off to the east. He's simply standing, as if waiting for something. Or someone.
Lady Door
Catching the image out of the corner of her eye, Morgana stops and stares.
Ralo, there's someone there. In robes. It could be a Wizard...or a Nethermancer.
Morgana quickly begins the weaving of a spell, Astral Sense. Once it is formed, she assenses the waiting man.
ludomastro
Alexander stands up. The little cell is just large enough for him to lie down; however, sleep is far from his thoughts. He has spent the last several hours alternating between listen to the voice in the corner of his cell, prayer, and talking with himself. Finally something inside the quiet Smith breaks.

So what do we do now? I don't know. Well, sitting here and listening to that voice over there in the corner will only drive us mad. Given that we are refering to ourself as an "us" might already indicate that we are mad. True, but then again, that won't really bother anyone in the village now will it since they already think that we are mad. True; however, what do you propose? How about getting out of here? Escape?!? Why not? It's not like the village is suddenly going to think that we are inocent now are they? What would be gained by trying to escape and "prove" our guilt? What is to be gained by sitting here and allowing Elder Hommand - if it is Elder Hommand to have us run through? Did you not say that your fate was in the hands of the Passions? Yes. Well, when was the last time that the Passions helped those who don't lift a finger? ... That's what I thought.

Murderer. Killer. You want to spill more blood. DO BE SILENT!

Yes, the Passions help those who help themselves. So, how do we crack this nut? Let me think.

Alexander begins to look at the cell for a weakness that can be exploited quickly and preferably quietly.
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander .
Looking over the cells, Alexander quickly remembers why his master was called a master Smith. Everything is perfectly fitted. No extra space to fit tools betweem. All the hinges capped on both ends. Heavy iron for the bars. yes, escape would be possible, with tools. Tools however were in rather short supply within the cell.

After a few minutes of studying, Alexander realized the voices, all of them had finally quieted. Looking up, Alexander saw the old man standing there again.

You need sleep Alexander. Sleep will sooth your troubled mind. Have patience and faith. Your will is strong. Do not let it falter.
Grinder
As soon as Ralo spots the robed figure, he readies his blow and tries to get some cover.

These place is one of the scariest ones I've ever seen. And now this person shows up, probably to no good.

Ralo whispers to Morgana, all the while watching the stranger. Agreed, we should travel to Coel and warn the people out there. Hopefully we're not too late. And we should track the tracks of the poor souls here. You know, that lead away from here. He points at the trail.

fistandantilus4.0
Morgana/Ralo
[ Spoiler ]

In the blink of an eye the figure dissapera, reappring directly in front of morgana as Ralo flits off for cover.

He isn an old muhan man, witha short gray beard and wrinkled features. His robe is gray but of good quality. He holds him self with an air of authority, but not pretentiousness. It's almost difficult toresist the urge to bow.

There is a young man in grave danger in the village of Coel, where you are headed. You must be aware of the dangers. Agents of the demon are manipulating events to turn the people of Coel against each other. Do not trust everything that you see. Seek the truth behind motivations. If you fail, the fate of this village will befall Coel as well.

First they will turn in upon each other. False accusations and murders will follow. Then the dead will rise and the creatures of the Shadow will come.

The old man looks at Morganna for a moment, as if he's assensing her.

It is not only one of the demons you face. It has an ally, one from your home land. You must stop both of these to save more than this village.

The old man turns as to walk away, then looks back .
Beware of the shadows. They wil ltwist anything they can, even turn you aganst each other. You can se them all about if you look closely

With that he dissapears from sight.
Lady Door
Stunned, Morgana can do nothing but stare for a moment. Slowly, she whispers,
By the Passions.... it looks like Coel is our new destination, Ralo.
Troubled by the strangers words, especially the warning that the threat came from one of her "home land".
What can he mean? Indrisia? or could he possibly mean.. no, how could they? Master, I need you. Please, please hear me. Holding the amulet, Morgana desperately tried to find the connection, but nothing came.

Biting her bottom lip, Morgana took a step forward, and then another. She was going to Coel.
ludomastro
You need sleep Alexander. Sleep will sooth your troubled mind. Have patience and faith. Your will is strong. Do not let it falter.

With the voices silenced, Alexander, realizes how tired he has become. He kneels and thanks the Passions for the peace. For thy help and blessings, I thank you. He lays down to sleep and this time his dreams are not troubled by nightmares.

fistandantilus4.0
Alexander
Make a willpower test Vs 13
Grinder
Spellcasters, all the same bunch!
Ralo looks at the place where the old man stood before he disappeared, puzzled.

What he said seems to be based on solide knowledge. And we wanted to go to the village anyway, so let's move on!

Heading to the horse, the windling suddenly stops in mid-air and turns to Morgana.
What did he mean with "your country"? Where are you from? Do you have any... secrets... I should know of?
Lady Door
For a moment, Morgana is caught completely off guard. Her face shows shock, and for a moment, terror. Then;
I come from Indrisia. I'm not sure what he means by "my land". Perhaps a traveler. I... I don't know.
Turning around to face the road to Coel, Morgana swings back up onto Hati's back.
Waiting just long enough for Ralo to sit, Morgana spurs the horse into a gallop.

For the greater part of the night, they travel this way. Stopping long enough to feed and water the horse, Morgana speaks little. She is often caught holding the silver amulet around her neck and whispering quietly, almost as if she is praying.
Soon, the sun appears over the mountain range, bathing the valley in light. In the spreading dawn, Morgana and Ralo see the tips of the buildings of what must be Coel.

What now, Ralo? Do we continue? Do we rest here?
Grinder
I don't want to enter the village tired, so yes, let us rest here. Did you have any idea, who the "traveller" was? You know, he apperead out of thin air in front of us and disappeared without a trace. How could that be?

To get an idea about the old man:
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
By the time the pair arrive at Coel's outskirts, the horse has been riden to pure exhaustion. Likely the only reason it has been able to continue on so ar is because of the light weight that it carries, and the short rest it had at the village of Joppstown. Now that it has stopped, the horse will go no further.

[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
I have an idea...in the very best stories, there is always some mysterious man or woman who shows up just before a pivotal change in the plot. This mysterious man or woman is always revealed later to be someone or something of a divine nature. To answer your question, Ralo, I believe we have just seen an incarnation of a Passion. Which one, I cannot be sure.

Looking up at Ralo, Morgana's eyes are set with certainty. There is no denying that this is indeed what she believes.

We should find somewhere off the road to camp, somewhere... within a clearing, somewhere where we will find no shade, or shadow. Do you remember what he said? "Beware of the Shadows". Until we understand his words, I think we should follow them as strictly as possible. What do you think, Ralo?
Grinder
A manifestation of a Passion has been my thoughts too.
Ralo pauses for a moment. But why didn't he gave us more information?

He looks to the houses of Cael, that appears so calm and peaceful when watched from the distance. I agree, let us look for a safe camp a little off the road. And then you can tell me more about Indrisa.

With a big grin the windling gets off the horse and in the air and begins to scan the area for a good place to rest.
Lady Door
Morgana rolls her eyes, and helps the windling scout for a location. Finding one, in the center of a clearing roughly two miles away, Morgana prepares a camp. It soon becomes apparent that there is very little one has to do to prepare a camp when no tents are being erected, no fire started.
Settling for just unrolling her bedroll, Morgana sits and picks up a stick. Using it to scribble in the dirt, Morgana begins to speak of Indrisia.
What can I tell you? Indrisia is a land of mystery and heat, jungle and sand. It's complex. For a long time, the Theran's held sway over the people of Indrisia, they came and without provocation destroyed the great palaces of the king of Indrisia, leaving nothing but rubble and blood. But, Indrisia soon became home to a new savior, the Great Dragon Bahamut. He rescued Indrisia from the Theran yoke of oppression, striking their behemoth's from the sky and raining their terror back upon them. Indrisia has now begun to rebuild, to grow. Palaces that were once in ruin, now stretch into the sky. People that once cowered under a slavemaster's whip now walk tall and proud, owned by none. Bahamut accepts no position of dominion or Master over the people of Indrisia. He protects and cares for them, offering them his protection and his love.
After she speaks, Morgana smiles. It's easy to see that she is moved by her own speech as tears glisten in her eyes. With one hand clasping the silver amulet, she uses the other to wipe away the moisture.
We should get some sleep, Ralo.

Morgana lies down and tries to sleep. The sun pounding into her eyelids does very little to help sleep along.
Thank God, Alex taught me those excercises before all of this. Morgana steadies her breath, and wills herself to sleep, to dream.
Show me what the future holds, show me what troubles this town.
Soon, she is fast asleep.
Grinder
Great, great, great! But at least she told a little bit about Indrisa.Wonder why she left it, but that will have to wait for another day.

Ralo searches for a good covered spot in one of the trees and tries to stay awake for the next few hours. After that he flies over to Morgana and wakes her up.

Your watch, Mylady.
fistandantilus4.0
Morgana dreams

[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
Alexander Willpower Test
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander -Coel Jail cell -9am
Alexander wakes to the most horrid sound he has ever heard. It's a combination of grunts and roars and children's screams. Other screams join the sound almost immediately, including Alex's own. Immediately the sounds are drowned out by his own maddened thoughts . Every lie, every misdeed, every pain and little fib, ill word and thought Alexander has ever had siad or done comes screaming to the surface of his mind. Every horrible memory of every little pain he has ever inflicted on another is full in his mind. Feeling the misdeeds, feeling their pain, and his own shame and guilt and disgust, amplified ten fold, Alexander collapses.

There's no way of knowing how long he wallows in his own despair, his memories assaulting him through to his core. Eventually Alexander begins to become aware of the world around him again. The floor, the cage, the cell.....

Looking around, the guardds were beginning to recover as well, albeit a bit more slowly.All three of them seem to have been struck down by it as well. Alexander's body still shakes. The thoughts and memories are still there, but quiet once again. He can hear other moans of paain, groans of mental and physical exertion , out side of the jail house. Crying. Many people are crying .Alexander is crying.
Lady Door
Morgana wrenches herself awake, the memory of the dream still clear in her mind. What does it mean?Before it can be forgotten, Morgana quickly takes out her scroll and ink, quickly writing out the dream's details. It is only once she has finished that she hears Ralo calling her. Telling her that it's her turn for watch.
Nodding, she unsteadily gets to her feet.
I think Ralo, we have tarried her too long. I am sorry to say this, since I know you have not rested, but we need to go. We need to get to Coel. Perhaps you can rest within my pack, or rest once we arrive with me to watch over you. But, I have a terrible feeling of danger and I long ago learned to listen to these feelings.
Morgana quickly packs her few belongings, tying them to her saddle. Quickly, she mounts the saddle, turning back to look at Ralo. Her eyes are beseeching.
Please, will you come with me?
Grinder
Ralo sighs, his wings hanging on his back weary.

When you say so, I think we should go to the village.

He goes to the horse and tries to find a place comfortable enough to close his eyes for a few minutes.
Lady Door
Thank you, Ralo. I'll make it up to you... I'll learn Water Wings. Morgana smiles and then spurs the horse into another gallop. Leaning forward, she whispers in the animal's ear.
I know you're tired, Hati. Just a little further. C'mon my girl. Just a little further.
Nearing the town, Morgana catches her breath as the first scream reaches her ears.
Oh no, we're too late!
Grinder
Water wings? Why should I want wet wings?

While he still wonders about Morganas words, Ralo also enjoys the ride to the village that gives he a little break. But when the village comes in sight, he hears the scream and in the same moment Morganas call.

This time we will find a survivor!

He readies his bow and gets up in the air for a better overview.
fistandantilus4.0
Horse toughness step 8 - rolled 6(4),2 =12

By some miracle, Hati manages to continue on. The horse is either a great testamant to Jaspree of Thystonius. It's sweating and exhausted, but some how manages to carry the riders to the village.

The village of Coel is surrounded by a small wall, no more than six feet tall, made of wood. The large gate is open and unguarded, and they enter the village uncontested. The entrance leads straight in the the village, some 50 yards in.

The scene they come pon is one of confusion. No one seems to be hurt, but many of the thirty or so people in the square are crying, or walking away supporting each otherd. The scene seems to be one of total confusion. No one even seems to have noticed the new comers.
Grinder
Ralo flies over Morganas head, his bow ready.

What happened here? Hey you, can you understand me? he yells to a young woman standing close to them.
fistandantilus4.0
The young woma nsstarts in fright, completely suprised by the windling. There are no other windlings in sight within the village. She backs away quickly, and starts to move off, still sobbing. It's obvious that she understands Ralo, but is apparently in no mood to talk.

More people start to gather in the square. Not everyone in the village has been effected by whatever struck. The new comers look just as confused as Ralo and Morgana.

Strangely, the children don't seem as upset as the adults in the area.
Lady Door
Taking a moment to look around, Morgana looks for any sort of watering/hitching post. Finding one a few yards away she leads Hati to it. Checking the water, it still appears fresh. Tying Hati to the post, she lets her drink and then walks back over to Ralo.
What in the name of the Passions is going on here? Ralo, something's happened here, but what? There's no sign of fighting... just confusion, it appears.
Morgana searches for someone who appears as though they have some sort of authority, looking for someone who might be able to explain what has happened here.
fistandantilus4.0
It doesn't take long. By the time she's looking, someone is already organizing the local militia, those that weren't effected, to getting the people that have been 'disabled' to their homes, or the healer's house. He's a large ork with long dark hair and an air of authority. People seem to listen at least, as he barks orders and gets things organized. He sends people for water, to help those who can't move to get home ,and a pair of militia men to the jail. He soon notices the out of place pair.

The large ork waves over a couple of militia men and heads towards Morgana and Ralo. Some of the militia men have hands on weapons.

Who are you two and what ill luck brings you at a time like this?
Lady Door
We were sent by House V'strimon to investigate a series of disappearances in the area. We have recently come from Joppstown. It has been abandoned, and there are signs of a recent struggle. There is no one left. We heard screams and came, hoping that we could be of some help. Can you tell me what is happening here?
fistandantilus4.0
All I can tell you is that the two of you have picked a very suspicious time to come out of no where, and I don't much care for that. Strangers aren't much cared for here, especially when coming at such ill times.

However as I've only my suspicions at this time, I'll not arrest you two just yet. But if you plan on staying in Coel, know that you will be being watched, and closely. So unless you have anything you'd like to confess, or some light to shed on this incident, I have work to do.

The tall ork waits for a moment incase Ralo or Morgana do decide to divulge anything.
Lady Door
Morgana simply watches the ork, and then turns to face Ralo. Speaking in a low voice she watches the townspeople gather and form their ragtag militia.
I can understand his concern and his suspicion. I was about to offer him the letters the t'skrang sent me as proof, but there's something not quite right here. I feel as though we could be part of the Throalic Exploratory Force and they would still question our motives. I know what the Passion said, but I feel the longer we stay here the closer we come to danger from these people... another thing, look at the children. Have you noticed how much calmer they are? How quickly they are recovering? Too many questions, Ralo, and no answers.
Grinder
It's no surprise that the people are suspicious about us, that's something I have encountered a few times before. But a woman that sobs when I talk to her, that's not normal. He smiles, but the smile doesn't reach his eyes. When he continues talking, he watches around carefully. Maybe it was not the best idea to move in here so openly, but now it's to late for regrets. Let us take a room in an inn, if there is one here, and try to see what we can find out. I'm sure we'll find one or two name-givers that haven't lost their mind and are willing to talk to us.

Lady Door
Looking around, Morgana offers the same not quite there smile.
I think the chances of finding an inn somewhere like this are slim to none, but I agree that we should find someone who isn't looking at us like they'd just as soon kill us. Perhaps, we could find some sort of town magistrate... and I'm hoping it wasn't him.
Morgana moves with Ralo through the town, avoiding the looks of fear or outright suspicion.
fistandantilus4.0
As luck would have it, there is in fact an Inn within the village. It is so small that it has no name, but it's purpose is undoubtable.
There si also a stable along side for horses. Looking at Hati, the horse is lying on the ground next to the trough.

Shouting voices can be heard from within the Inn.
Lady Door
Torn between wanting to go back to Hati and wanting to see what is going on within the inn, Morgana's love for Hati wins out. Going back, Morgana leads Hati slowly to the stable. Poking her head inside, Morgana calls out...
Hello? Is there anyone here?
fistandantilus4.0
There is a small sttable boy, perhaps 9 years old inside. He looks hesitant at first, and doesn't say anything. He was huddled in the corner, his legs pulled to his chest when the pair came in. As soon as he sees Hati however, he immediately goes to the exhausted horse, and brings her in to the stables.

He runs n to the Inn, and shortly after brings out warm water and a blanket for the horse. He goes about his work quickly and quietly.
Lady Door
Thank you. She's been run hard, the poor thing. Her name is Hati. It's Indrisian. What's your name?
Grinder
While Morgana is going to the stable, Ralo flies to one of the inn's windows and looks inside.
fistandantilus4.0
Through the thick, slihgtly brown windows, Ralo can see some eight some odd men arguing. He can actually hear better than se, due to the low quality of the glass. The men are arguing about a demon possessed child, and whether or not a mad man they have locked up is the source of the trouble, as it apparently started with him murdering two other boys.

Most of the men seem to be listineing to an older human man they address as "Elder Hommond." One of the men has even suggested burnng the boy immediately. There are not many dissenting voices.
Grinder
I will regret this.

Ralo flies to the inn's door, pushes it open and sends his first questions into the room. The Passion's blessings on you, my friends. My name's Ralo and I just arrived in your nice, little village. Is it possible to rent a room for me and my companion, who is looking for our horse right now?

The windling smiles to the name-givers in the room.
fistandantilus4.0
The group of eight angry men stop and as one, turn and face the new arrival. They look confused.

For a moment, no one speaks. The only sound is the buzzing of the windlings wings, and perhaps, just a bit of a squeek form the windling trying to hold his smile in place under their gazes.

One of the men steps forward. An elf man, long in his years. I .. I'm sorry, who did you say you were again?

Another man steps forward, this one angrier than the last it doesn't matter who the windling is, we have more important[/i[ matters to take care of than some wanderer! Damn it Jonas, listen, we can't [i]do this!

Another steps forward, this one a dwarf. We can and we must! If left to it, who knows how far this taint could spread! Fire is the only way to be sure. You saw what happened didn't you? All those people!

The arguement starts up again in full swing, the windling completely forgotten. Except for Elder Hommond, who is still watching Ralo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012