Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to the Future II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
fistandantilus4.0
Michael's next suprise is a complete lack of any gear, including clothing. All he has is his golden arm band.

We're in a really really really bad place. Ummmmm.... I think we should go. Like now! The gargyole recovers quickly and get sup flapping, flying down the cave and waving for holder to follow quickly, "her" glowing red eyes illuminating the way.

Suprisingly, the cave for is very smooth. As smooth as a tile entry way actually. It's been worked by man.
Callidus
What the frag? Where the hell's my gear? Guess it's really a Alice in Wonderland time.... Wait I'm naked too? Crap crap crap crap.... Well at least no-one else is here....

Oooookay, well lead on.

And heading after the tiny gargoyle as fast as he can Holder can only guess what he's getting himself into.

So I wonder what it is? Really a gargoyle? Never heard of one so small.... Maybe an earth spirit or elemental?

Rolls

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]

The little gargoyle zips and zoms down different cave tunnels. The caverns them selves look to be about 20 feet wide, with a height of about the same. The gargoyle looks more worried most of the time it zips back from a side cavern. Soon Holder can hear what sounds like the sounds of metal striking stone. A lot of it.

Callidus
Trying to move as quietly as he can Holder follows through the caverns.

What the hell is causing the tapping sounds.... People! Finally! Wait what did the spirit say? It's dangerous here? Guess we hide for now... In no condition to do anything else.
fistandantilus4.0
The gargoyle leads Holder farther through. At one point, they pass a tunnel with people just off the lip off the main tunnel they're in. Holder gets one good look at them in the gargoyles red light. The view horrifies him.

They're dead. Most of them having rotting flesh, or bones exposed, a few are missing limbs. The stench is terrible, nearly causing him to wretch. They look liek they're mining.
Callidus
The sight of the corpses moving and working the mine is almost too much for him but thankfully the vision goes by quickly.... but that almost makes it worse.

Shedim? A lot of Shedim.... God I hope we get out of here soon, and without them noticing us.... can almost feel them clawing at my shoulder blades.... Why insanity? Why? What happened to the nice young women and green fields? Well maybe insanity isn't a nice place.... damn it.... Ah well better make the best of it

Following along behind the gargoyle and hoping that it knows the way.... and not he way to his painful death, Holder mentally holds onto the comforting lightline that is the red glow from it's eyes....
fistandantilus4.0
Drek! I almost forgot to tell you, don't cast any spells! Especially not here! It's like .... it's a really bad background count here. It'll hurt a lot ok?

The gargoyle spirit keeps zipping along. Passing down what seems to be the main corridor, he passes a gourp of undead diggers right in the main hall. The gargoyle keeps her eyes off the diggers, keeping them from Holder's view.

They pass two more groups, apparentl digging in to the walls. Occassionally there are lone diggers, picking at what looks like large carved runes.

Don't astrally perceive either! That's just as bad
Callidus
Okay.... Really not in the shape to try so guess that's all good....

Hmmm, guessing today's just been too hard, brain's going a bit fuzzy, ah well.... just follow the pretty gargoyle.... ignore the freaky dead things.... at least they ignore us too....
fistandantilus4.0
After a few more minutes of running, Michael and he gargoyle come out into cool night air. The cave is apparently a hole in a ill, leading deep in to the ground.

Moonlight gives him a whole new horror. Arrayed all around the cave entrance are probably another hundred of the undead, simply wandering aimlessly. The moonlight bathing them, out in cool green grass, the horrible walking dead are a nightmare come true,

Composure test

Ths way quick! The gargoyle zips what looks like south.
Callidus
Holy.... Drek! Where to go.... Where to go.... I want to go home.... this is sooooo not funny.... Damn you Hood what did you do?

Then tries to follow the gargoyle, but the scene is almost stunning in it horror.

Rolls

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Michael tries to run. The face of a little girl, no more than 7, mostly torn apart revealing a gory skull stops him cold. He collapses in a huddled mass, trying to scream, but unable to get it out.

Finally the gargoyle simply grans him under one arm, and lifts him, flying over the undead. Michael goes out, screaming in to the night.
Callidus
Cowering and mumbling in terror Micheal just can't make either his legs or mind do what he wants. Images of all the corpses keep flowing in front of his eyes, the mutilated children, the old stumbling along, the missing limbs, eyes, chunks of flesh ripped away but unknown creatures is just too much for his mind to handle.

Being lifted by the gargoyle is just the straw that broken the camel's back and as it flies off with him the scream finally looses itself from his throat and just won't stop.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! THE CHILDREN, NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
fistandantilus4.0
Sometime later, Michael finally starts looking around him self.

He's lying against someone... a woman... she's cradling his head in her lap. She's human, caucasian, blond and naked. She's stroking his hair saying *shhhhhh shhhhh* to him. She smiles down at him when he opens his eyes.
Callidus
Hmmm, comfortable.... Wait.... what? Who the.... pretty.... no focus.... naked and pretty.... damn you brain.... the square root of boobies.... no.... NO.... the square root of 2245 is....

Looking up and trying to concentrate Michael quickly covers himself before he really embrasses himself and then realises that she's probably seen everything already, but modesty is more than an idea really. And so he sits up and looks around and then back to her face.

Erm, hello. I'm Michael Holder.... er, this'll sounds bit strange but have you seen a small gargoyle around here? I think it was a free spirit and I really should thank it for getting me out of.... well for helping me.... Oh, I'm sorry thank you too for your help, I was a bit out of it there.... erm, do you know where I could get some clothes?.... and a medkit?
fistandantilus4.0
I would tell you to sit down for this, but since you're already here...

For starters, well, I am the gargoyle. So you're welcome. My name is Bedlam. I uhh.. well I am a free spirit, more or less. This is just one of my forms. And sorry, no, I don't exactly have any spare clothes on me either. As I understand it, this is how these things work.

Ok, um, explaining time. We're not, we're not in Kansas anymore. Ok that didn't help. We're not in Australia anymore. You weren't supposed to be here. Only Hood was supposed ot be here.
She starts talking very quickly. In fact I'm not supposed to be here either. THis whole thing is just completely wrong . Hood was just supposed to destry the shadows and I don't really know how things got this messed up and we really aren's supposed to be here and this is Hood's job and not mine and ... and...

She slows down, apparently remembering that she's rambling.

Michael, ok, here's the deal. We're not home anymore. Hood was supposed to go through the cave. He was sent her by our Master to stop the creautres ... the demons ... that were trying to take control of the cave. The cave is a sort of gateway. To different places... and well, well you like archaeology, right? Well, now you get t osee history in the making!

We're umm, well, we're about 7,500 years in the past. Give or Take.
Callidus
He sits there carefully listening to Bedlam explaining what's going on and with the way his day is going so far, it's feeling almost normal. What is impacting him more is that fron tof him is a free spirit, that at least seems friendly, and seems to be more upset about the situation, because.... well there's really no way it can be 7,500 years in the past because that just isn't possible.

Oooookay, so 7,500 years in the past.... yeah right, we're just somewhere else.... or I'm still hallucinating, either way looks like Bedlam is starting to freak out and with the shape I'm in that's not good.... I wonder how you comfort a free spirit.... and female, naked free spirit.... Ah well here's goes nothing....

Well that's a doozy. At least I'll get to find out where this comes from as he points to his right hand But don't worry Bedlam even if only Hood was supposed to come we here now and going to have to do what we can to get back. I'm sure if we work as a team we can sort it all out, okay I might not be much to look at at the moment but give me a bit of time to sort things out and we'll be good as new and smiling confidently to her, he tries to restart her confidence

Just wish I was as confident as that hopefully sounded.... why do bad things keep happening to me.... I want a mocca....

Rolls

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
I don't think you really understand yet, but that's ok. You'll see. When people start speaking that gibberish they call "dwarven" you'll see.

Well anyway, come on. We need to get you some clothes, and I need to go find Morgan.

At that, Bedlam stands, slowly, so as not to dump Michae'ls head in to the dirt. Then she walks a few steps and shrinks into a flapping little feminie gargoyle.

We need to go this way. Hope you can walk bare foot for about a day.
Callidus
I can but try, oh gracious lady he says with a smile and a little bow and then heads off after her gargoyle form while trying to pick the flatist and least pointy bits of ground to walk on.
fistandantilus4.0
The pair walked for hours. Quite frankly , after his exhausting trip through the Asutralian Outback, this was a walk in the park for Michael. No snakes, no crags, no mana storms, no burning sun. Of course there were no clothes either but the grass was soft and even the night air was warm. It must have been summer where ever he was .... assuming he wasn't hallucinating.

They made camp after a good long march. Despite his worries about being insane, Michael fell asleep quickly. When he woke in the morning, he gound the little gargoyle still there, still in grass,, and still naked. There was a small pile of rough sewn clothes. He'd never seen anything like them however. The shirt was loose , a simple pull over of rough cotton. The pants weren't much better, and secured with a drawstring of all things. The boots he suspected might be real leather. Not a one of them had batteries, or color changing features that he could find.
Callidus
Hmmm, grass feels nice underfoot, starting to see wht the trids were on about.... Strange to see so much about though without some signs of civilisation....

------

A New Dawn

Waking up on the ground is almost second nature now, as much as he wished it wasn't, although there's worse places to wake up and worse company.

Hmmm, still here.... Guess it wasn't a dream then.... well unless it's one of those freaky ones where you wake up.... *sigh*

Morning, sleep well? These for me? If so then thank you, might be strange to bump into people without any clothes. and laughs quietly before busying himself with dressing in unfamiliar clothes.

Man this is trickier than you'd think after having self adjusting clothes so long.... how can you handle drawstrings? Surely your pants'll fall off half the time... Heyho, better than nothing. Wincing as he pulls the shirt on and then again tying the drawstring it occurs to him that at least his arms starting to obey him again, so things are looking up.

So still no casting I'm guessing? Must be a heck of a mana warp to cover a large area like this.

Actually that's a good point.... And Bedlam seems almost uneffected by it.... Note to self do not piss her off.... she must be massively powerful.... or lying.... but.... hell she's had plenty of time to do anything she wants to me so I guess I can trust her.... for now at least.
Grinder
What do you suggest, Morgana? Would you like to examine the skeleton and search the room?

Ralo flies up and down, getting more and more impatient with every second.
fistandantilus4.0
Michael Holder

Err... yes, something like that. Let me explain it this way. You know about shedim, and how they can take your body when you're out projecting? Well, there are ... a type of spirit, for lack of time, we'll just call them Horrors, that can do something like that, but they only need you to cast a spell. There's one of those around here. So it isn't safe to cast. Got it?

She looks a little pained, like she really doesnt' think she explained that right?
Lady Door
The astral here is strange. There are residual effects of a spell here but they feel old. Maybe something that killed this man or woman back before, when this was a kaer. I'm not familiar with the spell... at least it's nothing I've ever seen before. I think we should head back down.
Morgana looks confused. If this was a Citadel.. where's the rest of it? I mean... where did all the people live. This was meant to be a kaer. Is there more beneath us? Are we missing something?
Grinder
Ralo scratches his head. I completly forgot about that. You came up with a very good point. Maybe illusion magic is used here? Or we have to found a secret entrance.
Lady Door
Morgana nods. I think I may have a way to help us. Let's get back downstairs. It's strange up here.
Morgana leaves the room, heading for the main hallway they found when entering the Citadel.
Grinder
Ralo follows her.

What is your plan? Do you know a spell that can penetrate illusions? I don't have much experiece with it - all I know is that I don't like how illusions alter reality...
Callidus
Michael Holder

Ah okay, that'd be bad, so no casting. It's lucky your here, or I'd have been toast almost immediately. Guess that's another one I owe you. and smiling at the little gargoyle he realises that strange as it might be the idea of having travelled waaaay back in time is seeming less and less impossible and that Bedlam is pretty much his only link to his world.

Well if your rested I guess we'd better go find this Morgan you mentioned. If you're tired I could carry you for a bit?
fistandantilus4.0
Holder
I don't get tired. One of the perks.

It's really not that lucky that I'm here. First of all, I wasn't supposed to be here. Gonna have a word with a certain drake about that. See... I'm also kind of danger. I know how to mask my aura so that I look like a normal metahuman... which people call 'Namegivers" here... I'll explain that later. Anyway! My aura will look like a "normal" persons aura no matter what for I'm in.
She does the little "quotation" marks in the air with her claws, as if to emphasize the sarcasm.

But if one of the Horrors sees past my masking, well I'm still a dual being. There ins't a lot I could do to avoid being marked. I'm not as strong here as where we're from. I don't really know why. So if I seem kinda like a little bug flitting from plave to place hiding ... that's because I am.
ludomastro
Alexander looks over at Morgana and Ralo and says I am afraid that I know no magic that can help us with regards to illusions. Perhaps I can help in other ways?
Callidus
The Bedlam and Holder Show - The Wilderness

Heh, "normal", nothing around here seems normal.... no cars, comms.... well anything really.... although if there's that many Shedim and Nomads floating about.... and able to possess anyone dual natured or casting.... ugh, not good....

Flitt to your heart's content then, defineately don't want anything spotting us out here.... I guess counterspelling is going to fall under the 'going to get us eaten' section too.... Not sure how much I'll be able to help, but I'll certainly try.... Wait a mo.... 'Drake'.... kinda like a small dragon? Hood.... thought he was small to be a dragon.... although they do seem to shapeshift....
fistandantilus4.0
Holder

Only Great Dragons really shape shift. Younger ones use magic, just like you. Drakes are different. They're the servants of the dragons. Hood was in the cave to perfom a task, which included guarding you. Our master wanted you to be able to study the cavern once Hood made it safe, by destroying the Shadows... the creatures that had consumed Dr Woods and his team.

Like I said, you and I are not supposed to be here.

Bedlam flies on long in to the night, sometimes flying ahead for half an hour or so, then returning with a bit bette idea of where she's going. Or so she says. Around 2am, she finally relents, saying that Holder at least should get some sleep, and that she'll keep guard.

We have at least this far to go tomorrow. When we find what we're looking for, well, then you'll, we'll both be a lot safer. Probably a bit more confused, but safer.
Callidus
The night had closed in a while ago, as to what time it was Holder had no clue, too much reliance on technology eroding his time sense.... Although it wasn't too great whenever he'd been thinking hard anyway.

More confused? Heyho, guess it'll get worse before it gets better.... ah now there's a phrase I haven't thought about in a while.... Good old Grandma Helen always had a phrase for all situations.... Wonder what she'd say for when you're stuck 7,500 years in the past, with a powerful free spirit and surrounded by Shedim that can possess you if you cast.... or are a spirit.... hmmm, probably something like 'Murphy's Law: Shit happens', heh that one fits.

Well I guess a bit more confused but with some security is always good. and he smiles over at the gargoyle You know I do really appreciate this, I can tell you're putting yourself at some serious risk for me, and so I'll repay that some day if it's within my power, you just have to ask.
fistandantilus4.0
Bedlam smiles.

Well you could always invest me with some karma. She winks.
Lady Door
Morgana thinks for a moment and then speaks.
For now, let's try things the old fashioned way... we'll look. Let's start from the ground floor and try working our way down. There's got to be more then we're seeing here. If, after a few hours, we've still found nothing... then we can start thinking about ways to pierce Illusion magic. Until then, I have this Astral Sense spell that I can use to find hidden doors and to sense magical aura's. That should help us out too. Any other suggestions? For what seems like the hundredth time in the last half an hour, Morgana silently wishes she could contact her Master. He would know what to do... or at least, would have a better idea of a kaer structure then I do. She sighs.
ludomastro
Very well then, Morgana. Alexander begins looking around the room at the walls hunting a hidden door in the wall.

Perception
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
Callidus
I can but try m'lady he replies with a gaunty smile I've read about the process but never tried it before.... any chance you could show me how?
fistandantilus4.0
The gargoyle stops, looking suprised. She'd apparently meant it as a joke.

Umm... yes, I could show you. But not now. Now is not a safe time. If you mean it, it will give you some time to consider what you are offering as well. Don't do it lightly or just because of my jest.
Callidus
The look on the gargoyle's face was strange,

She's... surprised? I thought she was serious.... well I was.

As you suggest, of course. I do understand that it involves transferring some of my life force.... well more life experience if I understand the process.... On the other hand without your help I wouldn't have a life at all so it is a small sacrifice on my part to repay a very large aid, but I would abide by your wishes of course.
fistandantilus4.0
I.... I thank you doctor. I believe you are a man of your word, and I thank you. I think you'll be needing all of your strength soon however. If you feel a debt is owned, I would not dishonor you by denying it. After this is through then.
Callidus
At the time of your request then and then he lets the topic drop as it seems to be making Bedlam uncomfortable.

Well I guess I'd better get my rest, so I'm not stumbling along tomorrow.

And smiling to the gargoyle he sets up his bed area as best he can and settles down when it seems that she doesn't want to talk anymore.
fistandantilus4.0
The gargoyle makes her self comfrotable in a near by tree, over looking Holer's "camp site". It's certainly a lot more comfortable than most of hte places he's been sleeping lately, albeit without an actual sleeping bag. Looking up at the gargoyle, she's sitting completely still , as if one of the infamous statues turned hunters of the Sixth World. Her gaze, no longer a glowing red, seems to never change, unflinchingly guarding Holder while he rests. Sleep comes slowly.

Holder makes in the morning to the nude blond human form of Bedlam again as she gently rustles him awake.

You've over slept. I thought you might need the rest, but we should be going now. Our presence was noticed after all. The undead are coming for us. They're a few hours walk back still. We made good time last night. But they won't rest once they've started moving. It's a good thing you're a strong walker.

She steps back, and assumes her gargoyle form, pointing in the direction you've been traveling for most of the night. Thanks to the tree cover, disorientation of night travel, and the over all insanity of the situation, Holder honeslty has no idea which direction it is, but the spirit seems adamant that they should follow the path she's set, and immediately.

Holder can't help but think that just a month ago, he was not a fit walker at all.
Callidus
Heh, good to see that the mana storm had some benefit then. and laughs quietly after the mention of following critters Guess we'd better get moving then, not sure I'm up for punching zombies. Glad you know the way as I'm soooo lost without my GPS, guess I'm just too used to modern comforts.

And heading out after Bedlam's gargoyle form he just can't help remembering her other form. Gah, Michael! She's a free spirit and being very helpful, what would your mother say? Well I guess it's lucky she's not here then, isn't it?
fistandantilus4.0
Well we can't both be lost after all. I'm leading us to a citadel. It's an old fortress used to keep out the very same sorts of things that are chasing us. It would also be a good place to teach you how to create a spell matrix. There is someone there that I think can help you, perhaps teach you the technique.

Let me know if you start to get tired. We can't let our selves fall behind.

Bedlam continues flying ahead and coming back, but today she's only gone for a few minutes at a time, and flies behind, scouting your back trail a well.
Callidus
Will do.

Spell matrix? What the hell one of those? Something to hide the spell from observers? Guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

Travelling in the direction that Bedlam is taking them, Holder pushes on in an energy saving but fast pace, trying to balance energy use against speed as best he can.

Ugh, this hike would be so much nicer without a pack of ravening undead zombies chasing us.... Man this sounds like a bad 'trid movie.... Attack of the Evil Undead! heh, probably shouldn't suggest that title to Bedlam she seems agitated enough as it is.... or maybe it'd lighten her mood, ah well better wait til this citadel anyway and we're safe.... er....
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
As Holer's pace has slows he begins falling behind Bedlam's pace. Bedlam tries to keep him in sight, but continues scoutiung ahead, checking their direction.

An hour or so later, Holder hears bushes and sticks cracking behind him. The area they're traveling through is wild and over grown. He makes a terrific noise aas he moves through it. Now something else is as well, coming in his direction.
Lady Door
Meanwhile, back at the Citadel...

Morgana sits down, exhausted. They were nearing their fourth hour of almost continuous searching and they still had nothing to show for it... well, except for being bruised, dusty and worn... oh, and the dogs were chewing on some old bones. That seemed to make them happy at least.
Let's rest here for awhile. It seems relatively well-protected and we there's a door here we can bar against any of the other dogs. Not to mention that my ribs are still killing me... Morgana lets out a long exhale and runs a tired hand through her hair, disgusted when she feels cobwebs. Come along way from those French aristocrat balls, haven't you, Liv? Morgana reaches up and twists her medallion between her fingers, soothing herself with it's familiar weight and feel.
fistandantilus4.0
The layout of the Citadel is as follows. There are two main floors. The Citadel's gate faces to the north west, putting one tower at each cardinal point. The first tower, at the north point, is the tower containing the library. The tower at the south point contains the bedroom. The NW wall contains a hall that leads to the gate house on the first floor, and the towers on the second floor.

The first floor has not been explored at all besdies this hallway.

The second floor has shown what looks like some sort of living room on the right side (assume outside, facing the gate), and a loboratory on the left, divided by a hallway running thourhg the center of the building.
Lady Door
OOC: Then let's assume we're starting from the ground floor and working our way up, starting from the Westernmost point and working our way clockwise. Does that work?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012