Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to the Future II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Lady Door
In a cold rage, Morgana attacks. She seems to glide through the air as she strikes, cleaving down through vine and limb alike. Taking advantage of her foe's surprise, Morgana cuts again. This time slashing through frayed shirt and rib. Even in the midst of the screaming and groans, she can still hear the sound of steel scraping bone.
Out of the corner of her eye, she can still see the blur that is Ralo and the screaming shadow that is the other cadaver man. Morgana has no time to determine if Ralo needs help. It takes all her concentration to stay out of the entangled cadaver mans' grasp.
The cadaver man on Morgana is raging, his.. (or her, the body so gone it's hard to tell) face contorted in a rictus of pain and anger. Whipping her sword back around, Morgana prepares for his attack.
fistandantilus4.0
The cadaver man reaches for Morgana again and again, straining against the vines that are holding it back. It takes just a moment of assessing the situation the the vines have the cadaver man completely trapped for the moment
[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
Alexander is taken aback by what he sees.

This can't be happening! They aren't the friends that I once had. They aren't the friends that I once had!

Alexander readies himself for the oncoming clash and searches out a weakness in the double onslaught.

Initiative:
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
int 6 - Go

The pair charge forward, hands raised to grab and crush and tear. Alexander's superior reach affords him the first strike... if he can take it. This ins't training, this is real... this is a nightmare.
Grinder
Ini = 5

Ralo moves higher into the air, out of the cadavermens reach, and changes his weapons - from sword to bow.
ludomastro
Alexander releases a yell, just as he has been trained. It is supposed to focus his energy according to his teacher; however, all it feels like is a way to let some of the raw, pulsing fear out of his system. He swings his sword at the first of the brothers with lethal intent.

Roll:
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
AlexanderThe yell comes out, but echoes dully against the hills around, sounding weak in the night. None the less, the srike connects ,if barely. It connects with Lott, the first to reach Alexander, slicing in to his chest. He screeches with pain but does not slow.

Roll Damage Str +5 steps for Broadsword.

The sword strike delays them but a moment, then both Taldens come in fists and boney fingers swinging and clawing.

[ Spoiler ]

The Talden's both come in fast and hard. Lott strikes out, but Alexander manages to deflect it with the flat of his blade. Mat, never one to coordinate comes in fast, tripping over hsi brothers own legs and stumbels.

Roll Initiative again after you roll Damage. Their Init is 15
fistandantilus4.0
Ralo/Morgana

Round 3 - Cadaver men are unable to attack. Proceed

The first cadaver man continues to sruggle against his bonds, while the second, apaprently in a rage, leaps at the flying figure buzzing above.

[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
Damage = Step 6 (STR) + 5 (Broadsword) = Step 11 = d10 + d8 = 2 + 2 = 4

Initiative = Step 6 (DEX) = d10 = 4

[ Spoiler ]

By Mynbruje, it's harder that I thought.

Alexander puts his surprise away and gets ready for the blows already coming his way.
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander
Both cadaver men come in this time with renewed fury. Lott at the graze across this chest, and Mat at his fall. They come in, rage on their faces, clawed hands seeking blood.

[ Spoiler ]

Lott charges straight in, raking his bony fingers across Alexanders chest. The claw like fingers skid across his chain shirt. He reels from the connection but no real harm is done. Just then a crushing weight connects with Alexander from behind, as Mat brings his fist down together on the back of Alexander's neck, nearly knocking him to the ground.

Your wound Threshold is 10, you took 10 points of damage in a single hit. That results in one wound (which appleis no modifiers), and a forced knock down test.
[ Spoiler ]

You may make your attack.If you fail the knock down test and fall, you suffer a -3 penalty to your physical defense, and a -3 step to your actions.

[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Vines Effect Test
[ Spoiler ]

With the cadaver man still held within the vines, Morgana attacks again. Using an aggressive attack (+3 to attack/damage, -3 to Physical Defense) Morgana cleaves into the cadaver mans body, twisting the broadsword as it enters. The stench of rotting meat fills the air and Morgana's lungs. The urge to retch is almost overpowering. With sheer strength of will, she keeps coming, keeps the sword cutting.

Attack
[ Spoiler ]

Damage
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
The cadaver man wrenches against the vines again, but is still held fast. The black sword lashes out, a swish of darkness blending with the breeze in the night, decapitating the undead. It goes limp, still held by the vines.
ludomastro
Alexander staggers under the weight of Mat's blow to his neck.

That hurts. Well, what did you expect? That this would be like practice? No, but still.
Alexander struggles against the pull of gravity with his aching head.

Knock Down Test
[ Spoiler ]

Resuming his defensive posture, Alexander, returns the favor.

Attacking Lott

[ Spoiler ]

Initiative for next turn
[ Spoiler ]

Alexander readies himself for the next attack.

What is going to happen next? Focus!
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander
Alexander recovers from the blow, coming up with a wild blow from his near crouch, swinging out in to Lott, who is to close to get away. The blow connects, and bites dep. Alexander feels the keen balde cut through ribs and finally connect with the spine with a sickening *Thawk-thunk*

Mat reels for a moment in shock, then screams and comes in again hard.

[ Spoiler ]

Attacking in wild rage, Alexander manages to side step the swings, countering raw fury with cool discipline.
ludomastro
Alexander is amazed at what just happened.

Did I just do that? It would appear so, now focus!

Attacking Mat

[ Spoiler ]

Initiative for next turn

[ Spoiler ]

We might live through this. I said, focus!
fistandantilus4.0
Mat steps back for a moment, assessing Alexander's position. Apparently the idea that he could die again, finally, has suddenly hit home. He takes a moment to square off aginst the smith, then comes in quickly.

[ Spoiler ]

Mat moves quick, coming in from one side, then striking out quickly with unnatrual strength, stirking Alexander is the jaw.

Not so cocky now, are you blacksmith! When this is over, I'll cut your hide loose and use it for my armor!

Mat continues to circle

You're just to slow. You can't...

A hackle-raising howl interupts Mat's mocking. A howl from further up the hill, followed by a scream. A scream first of pain, then rapture and release. Mat looks shocked .....and afraid.
Grinder
Ralo fires his first arrow at the cadaverman.

[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
Ini: 7
fistandantilus4.0
The arrow streaks out, sticking the cadavaare man in the neck, but has little effect. As it's companion is struck down, it becomes aware of an opponent within reach, and charges Morgana.

Init Step 4 =D6- 6(3)=9
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
Ralo continues to fire at the remaining cadaverman.

[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
Initiative: 8
ludomastro
Alexander hears the scream; however, his mind is now at peace with the battle and he puts it away for the moment.

Attacking Mat

[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
Alexander

Alexander lunges forward with a powerful sweep of his blade, but Mat dodges aside, taking more care of the blade now. He counters with a swiep of his clawed hand
[ Spoiler ]

which Alexander barely avoids. The exposed bone calws streak by Alexander's face, missing by inches.

fistandantilus4.0
Init for Alexander - 2. Alexander's action now , as Mat just missed.

Init vs Morgana/Ralo also 2. Cadaver man engaged in melee w/ Morgana. Ralo apply a -2 if you'd like to fire into melee.
ludomastro
Alexander seeing an opportunity to attack does so.

[ Spoiler ]

And he connects solidly with the thing that used to be Mat.

Feel the rythm. Did I hurt him? Focus!

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander
Another slice, this time through the shoulder, taking a good chunk of meat with it. It most definetely effects Mat. His eyes go wild with rage as the pain takes over, removing all thought. He roars and charges in a mad rush.

[ Spoiler ]

Mat's first wild swing connects solidly, cracking ribs even through the chain mail shirt. The next two swings are completely wild, missing because Alexander is still reeling, while his final blow scrapes across the chain shirt again.
ludomastro
Oouuuccch!! That hurt! Tell me something I don't know! Let's take it up a notch. Agreed! Ok, give up Arched Cat and use Dog.

Alexander changes from fighting defensively to a standard fighting stance. He waits for an opening and then attacks.

[ Spoiler ]

Well done. Alexander connects solidly with his opponent as he let's out a yell.

[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
Another hit connects, this one in the chest. It's definetly having an effect. But not enough. Mat comes in again
[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
Need to do more!

Alexander doesn't even notice that the voices in his head have come together. He merely thinks of himself as a hammer falling to the anvil, forcing the normally unyielding steel to bend to his will.

[ Spoiler ]

Connecting with the undead once more, Alexander relaease a yell and puts his all into the swing.
fistandantilus4.0
The Hammer fall connects, a death knell sound. It cleaves in to the undead Mat, straight through the skull, cleaving through half the torso. The body simply collapses, it's unnatural life struck out.

it seems unanturally quiet. Looking at the horrors lyin broken on the ground, one wonders how anything can be silent. How the night its self isn't screaming in horror.
ludomastro
Alexander falls to the earth, spent. Get up and go home! Warn the village! Forcing himself to his knees, Alexander is startled by the stench. Was that smell always present? Not important. Go now! Alexander hauls himself upright and heads back to the village.

Awake! Alarm! Awake my brethern! His voice cracks under the strain and pain of the cracked ribs.
fistandantilus4.0
People start looking out of windows or doors, a few of them with newly made spears in had. All of them look sleep befuddled or confused. They seem to be looking at Alexander as if he'd gone mad.
ludomastro
His body able to give no more, Alexander, collapses to the ground. He manages to yell - at least in his mind, he yells. Beware the undead! He then succomes to the pain and strain of the night. Blackness takes him.
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander

Alexander wakes up to the sensations of cold and wet. Someone threw water on him. He is lying on a table inside the Plow House, the local tavern. A few of the village elders and Adana, the Questor of Garlen, are gathered around looking down at him.

Elder Hommand steps forward, a stern look on his face. He is human, well in to his sixties, quite venerable in fact. He wears his whit beard long and loose, some say to show his aged wisdom agisnt the longer lived dwarves of the community, who seem to think a long beard equals wisdom.

What are you about young Alexander? you look as if you've fallen down a hill side. have you been eating the purple berries up on the green?

A few of the Council Elders actually chuckle.
Grinder
Seeing that Morgana is stuck in close combat with the remaining cadaverman, Ralo decides to switch his weapons again and draws his sword.
ludomastro
Alexander wakes up to the sensations of cold and wet. It takes him some time to realize that someone threw water on him. He raises his head and discovers that he is lying on a table inside the Plow House, the local tavern.

From a far away place he hears Elder Hommand's stern voice ask, What are you about young Alexander? You look as if you've fallen down a hill side. Have you been eating the purple berries up on the green? He then hears the chuckles of the Council Elders.

As a child I would have blushed from such a rebuke; however, I don't have the time to blush.

No, Venerable Elders, I have not. Though you may think me mad for saying it, I have battled with Mat and Lott Talden. They had been overcome by ... something. I have no name for it but ... they were undead.

He looks around the room at the faces filled with shock and concern. Alexander realizes that most of that is aimed at him and not his words.

There's more, Garen Talden is ... or perhaps was ... undead. While fighting with Mat I heard an inhuman scream that sounded like a being was being released from pain and suffering.

Realizing that many likely think him mad, he continues, Come! I will show you the bodies. He hoists himself from the table and starts for the door.
fistandantilus4.0
Elder Hommonds voice speaks clearly above the din.
Men, take poor Alexander. It's obvious something has happened. Before we know if it's his own doing, or he's just gone mad, let's be gentle with him.

Three militia men take Alexander by the arms. Alexander realizes that he's been unarmed, and his armor removed.

Take some of your men in to the hills. Find the Talden's bodies if you can. Pray to Garlen that they are well and Alexander has not murdered them as he believes. For now, lock him in a cell. We can't be to careful.

Many men nod at the elder's wisdom as they begin to take Alexander away.
ludomastro
Upon hearing Elder Hommond's words, Alexander is shocked. He does not stop those from holding him; however, he gives voice to his thoughs.

Elder Hommand, if I may have a moment. You may judge me mad and that is your right; however, I swear by all that is good and holy, the Passions themselves, and my mother, that I struck only in defense of myself. Please, see the floor of the forge. There is blood there but no body nor struggle. It was shed by an undead Garen. I followed him and was confronted by his undead brethern. If you allow it, I will show you where the bodies lie.

With his thoughts expressed, he bows his head and awaits Elder Hommand's decision.
fistandantilus4.0
Elder Hommond replies gravely
We have seen the blood in your forge son, and the trail leading up the hills the way you came from. I fear we will find the Talden's soon enough. Take him away. I can't bear the sight of him any longer.

The milita men lead Alexander out of the tavern, and toward the small village jail.
ludomastro
Alexander merely bows his head and allows himself to be lead away. Upon reaching the tiny jail he turns to a member of the militia and asks, Would you ask my mother to come?

With that he kneels down and begins to pray and meditate.
fistandantilus4.0
The militia man replies Your mother will be sent for when the Council decides it's safe. Until then, pray to Mynbruje Alexander. If we find the Talden boys killed by your sword, it'll be the Passion Death you'll be seeing soon enough.
Lady Door
Initiative: Failed
[ Spoiler ]

Turning from the twice dead cadaver man, Morgana is too late to block the incoming blow from the other creature. The blow catches her square in the jaw, sending her spinning. Her head explodes with light and pain as she desperately tries to maintain her balance.
Lady Door
Still on her feet, Morgana smiles wickedly. Her sword is up and cutting into the jaw of the cadaver man before he can take another step forward.

Melee Weapons Attack
[ Spoiler ]

Broadsword Damage
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]

Morgona's strike takes the cadaver man through the shoulder, cleaving through a number of ribs, and severing part of the creature's spine, as well as whatever magic animated it. The abomination falls, the strings of unlife cut.
Lady Door
Morgana takes two wounds.
[ Spoiler ]

Morgana's exultant cry at the cadaver mans' fall is cut short as the pain from her shoulder doubles her over. In the heat of the moment, she hadn't noticed the pain before. Feeling her shoulder with gentle fingers, Morgana winces. It's her collarbone...and it's broken. Morgana's eyes search the skies for Ralo. Not immediately seeing the windling, Morgana concerns herself with her shoulder. If something else comes now, I'm dead in the water. I need to heal.
Sitting down on the dew-wet grass, Morgana closes her eyes and slows her breathing. Concentrating on the magic flowing in the air around her, Morgana imagines it flowing into her through her breath. She can see it flowing through her blood, and finding the break. In her minds' eye, she can visualize the magic knitting the bones together, fusing them with a healing blue light.
Uses a Recovery Test
[ Spoiler ]
ludomastro
As he ends his prayer Alexander turns inward and begs the Passions to repair his damaged body.

[ Spoiler ]

I feel better. May Mynbruje temper judgement with wisdom for my sake.
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander
After a few hours of sitting and praying, there's a gentle rap on the cell door. The cell it's self isn't much really. A building, three cages built to the wall, ironically built by your master.

There's an older man standing there, perhaps in his sixties with graying black hair and gray robes of an older man that no longer works the fields.

Why are you in here boy?
ludomastro
Alexander stares at the cell built by his former master, Silas. Ahh, good friend, I could use your help right about now. He thinks about the half dozen different ways he could escape were he so inclined; however, he remains still. Alexander remembers the good times including the hard lessons that he learn in the forge. Alexander turns to the sound of someone rapping on the cell door. He looks up at the older man standing there and considers his questions carefully. He responds by looking the old man in the eye and speaking the truth.

Sir, I am thought mad ... or a murderer. The Talden brothers returned this night; however, they were not alive. They were ... undead. I was forced to destroy those which we knew as Mat and Lott. Garen - for some part of him was still human - went to Hound Gate and I presume that he met his end there. Until Elder Hommond decides my fate, I stay here.

With that, Alexander, holds his gaze and awaits his response.
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander

The old man looks thoughtful for a moment, as if he's trying to read Alexander's tells, than nods slowly. You're young, but I can see honor and conviction in you. That is good. Things are not always what they seem. I've learned that much in my many years. Be sure of what your heart tells you, and hold to that. Be mindful of your surroundings, and look always to the truth. Perhaps you know the old saying son? "The truth shall set you free"?

Remember that.

The old man turns and heads back to walk out of the jail house. The pair of guards still sit, playing at cards, apparently completely oblivious.
ludomastro
Alexander watches as the old man walks away. The truth shall set you free? Yes, I know that truth is freeing and the old man is correct. It seems I should know him from somewhere, but where. Alexander finds a comfortable spot in the cell and lays down for some sleep.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012