Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to the Future II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Lady Door
Morgana nods and looks around the room.
Okay.. so there's books and a study but no ink. Now, I'm thinking that an intelligent man might not want his books and ink too near each other for fear of a spill but, he wouldn't want to have to leave his tower just to write something down either. I think there may be more to this room or perhaps an exit we're not seeing.
Morgana scans the room again, noting the bookshelf against the wall. Going over to it, she peers behind it.
Perception Test
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
Ah! A Hound!... No, just the paperweight. These room gives me a headache.

Ralo flies nervously through the room, trying to get Alex' or Morganas attention.

Do you need much longer? I want to got out here, even if that means we have to fight the dogs!
fistandantilus4.0
The hound's still barking at the door don't help.
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]

Something rings wrong in Morgana's ears. Something is out of place....

If there's no papers... and nothing to write with.... why would he need a paper weight?
Lady Door
Morgana's eyes slide to the paperweight. Curious, she crosses the room and picks it up, examining it and the deck it sat on.
fistandantilus4.0
It's a large black hound's head with a flat bottom ,about the size of a human fist, The detail is acutally quite remarkable.
Lady Door
Okay, so let's recap: paperweight and no papers. Wizard's tower and no scrolls... Morgana trails off, her eyes searching the room for perhaps an indention in the wall that the paperweight could fit in, maybe act as some kind of key. Think Morgana, think!
Morgana eyes the small head again and hefts it.
Does it feel solid? or could there be a compartment inside it?
fistandantilus4.0
Solid and thick. No apparent openings. It feels heacy. Definitly a stone.
Grinder
Maybe he carried all papers to another room? Who knows how a spellcaster thinks?

Ralo gets obviously more and more uncomfortable in this room.
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Looking around, Morgana sighs.
Well... I'm out of ideas..
She casts Astral Sense.
Spellcasting Test: Astral Sense
[ Spoiler ]

Threadweaving Tests: Astral Sense
[ Spoiler ]

Effect Test: Astral Sense
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
Ralo finds a book on the mating habits of the Zoak.
fistandantilus4.0
Morgana's eyes widen at the complexity of the weave of the item. It is most certainly a thread item, and a strong one from the looks of it. It does not currently have any woven threads that she can see.
Grinder
I never knew they do it that way!

For the first time he entered the room, Ralo sits down calmly and reads in the book.
Lady Door
A thread item? A paperweight?! Okay... so, we're still stuck in the room though. Morgana looks up from the paperweight and scans the room using the Astral Sense spell.
Astral Sense Effect Test #2
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Besides the "paper wight" and various thread items on her companions, nothing else much stands out her as magical. Even the texts are all mundane.
Lady Door
More to herself then to anyone else, Morgana speaks.
Okay, so this is the only item that is inherently magical to this room. This must be the key to whatever it is we are looking for.
Morgana sits down with the statue in her lap and closes her eyes. She meditates for a moment and then reaches into her bag, pulling out a small bag. Opening it, she withdraws a deck of cards.
Show me the truth behind this figurine. She shuffles the deck in her hands, repeating the question over and over in her head. Then she lays the cards out in a cross shape. For a moment, she regards the backs of the cards, still repeating the question in her mind. Then she flips the first one over.
fistandantilus4.0
Going through her divination, Morgannah reveals hints of a means to control an enemy, and destroy another. One closer, one farther, less direct.
Lady Door
Noting the answer, she shuffles the cards again. Is there more to this room then what I can see now? Morgana lays the cards back out, repeating the question again and again. When she's ready she flips over the first card.
fistandantilus4.0
The answers point only to knowledge. There does not appear to be anything hidden or secret. verything is laid out for the taking, as it was intended. There are hints of a hidden "key" however.
Lady Door
Morgana stares at the cards, puzzled. This would be so much easier if I could just take a nap. Shuffling the cards again, Morgana questions them: Where do I find this hidden key?
Morgana lays the cards out again.
fistandantilus4.0
The cards indicate searching, the effort brigng it's own reqards. They seem to suggest the books.
Lady Door
Morgana sighs. It's like getting visions from Bahamut, it really is. For a moment, she eyes the cards suspiciously and then slips them back into their velvet bag. Holding them by the drawstring, she moves back to the bookshelf. Placing her pack and her cards on the desk, she surveys the bookshelf again. This time, she takes a look at the shelf and the books themselves.
Perception Test
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
It takes a while of searching. By now the dogs on the othe side of the door are quiet. They growl occassionally, just to remind the occupants that they're still there.

Eventually ,Morgana finds a book with a seal on it similar to the "paper weight" in appearance. The libram is titled " The Head of the Pack".
Lady Door
This looks promising. Morgana opens the book carefully, and scans the first few pages.
fistandantilus4.0
The text is indeed helpful. It is essentially the enchanting formula the wizard used to create an item he calls "The Head of the Pack". It is a small statuette in the shape of a hounds head, created to control canines. Specifically, it is geared to be especially effective in controlling Gate Hounds.

[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Morgana's eyes shoot open. I've found it. Give me some time and I should be able to get us out of here. Morgana looks up in excitement, then in confusion when she sees Ralo perched holding a book sideways, his eyes wide.
Ralo... what are you reading?
Grinder
You.... you don't want to know. It's about Zoaks. With many illustrations. Very interesting. Sort of.

Puzzled by the knowledge he gained (knowledge that windling is not supposed to know) Ralo closes the book.

How much time do you need? I'm not sure if I can stand the knowledge of another book, he says with a big grin.
Lady Door
Morgana simply raises an eyebrow and brushes the comment aside.
I said... I think I might have found a way out of here. This paperweight She holds it up. isn't a paperweight... or at least not only a paperweight. It's a powerful thread item that allows you to control the Gate Hounds. All I have to do is weave the threads to it and then I should be able to get us out of here. Soka?
Grinder
Ralo sighes. That will take a long time.

Mind you if I close my eyes while you're doing it? Alex can watch the door alone, I'm sure.
Lady Door
Morgana nods and looks to Alex.
Keep watch for us. We should be safe from them for now. It will take me roughly an hour to bind this statuette. After that, we can see about getting the hell out of her.
Morgana returns her attention the figurine in her lap, eyeing it's pattern carefully.
Breathing deeply, Morgana calms her breathing and slows her heartbeat. When she's finally ready, she begins the threadweaving.
GM Note
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Threadweaving Test
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Morgana attempts weaving the threads in to the Head, finding it suprisingly difficult. After the first hour, she is unable to successfully bind it.

Ralo would be fast asleep, if her weren't so hungry.
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Morgana frowns in frustration and begins the threadweaving test again, this time pushing all she can of her energy into forming the weave.

Threadweaving Test
[ Spoiler ]

GM Note:
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
While Morgana tries to weave a thread to the hound's head, Ralo first tries to sleep, but he is too hungry for it.

Hey Alex, care for a game of dice? Or do you have something to eat? My dear, I would even listen to a story. Maybe one about you and your life before you ended in an old citadel that is inhabitated by magic-draining dogs.
fistandantilus4.0
With increasing frustration, Morganna pushes and pulls and tucks and weaves the threads every which way. The thing is put together in a very quirky way. Almsot like the magician used his own version of short hand. Perhaps it's the bits of Beastmaster magic woven in, or just the human's own slightly crazed mind. Finally however, she gets the thread in place, forming the bond.
Lady Door
A test of the owner's control? In a humorous or dangerous way? How could I...?... Morgana looks up at the bored looking chew toy. Bingo.
Morgana glances up at Ralo once her weaving is completed. She has a wicked grin on her face and an open book in her lap.
Ralo... you're pretty quick, right? She gets up and sets the book down on the desk and fumbles around in her pack for a moment. When she pulls her hand back out, she's holding a small length of twine.
and you want to get out of here, right? Go get some food? Find a place to sleep? Morgana's voice is lilting and pleasant...for a moment Ralo doesn't notice that she's getting closer.
Grinder
Yes, yes and yes.

Ralo gets up in the air. You know a way out of here? Finally! I was getting really annoyed in the last minutes.
Lady Door
Well.... Morgana stands below him. Could you come down here... it hurts my neck to always be looking up at you. She smiles sweetly.
fistandantilus4.0
Roll Charisma Morganna, or any kind of Fast Talk

Roll Perception Ralo, or Sense Motive
Lady Door
Charisma Test + Con Test
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
Perception Test

[ Spoiler ]

Ralo flies down a bit, so that his face is in height of Morganas face.
Lady Door
Morgana smiles. Thank you, Ralo. Well, what we're looking to do is... Morgana's hand darts into the air, snatching Ralo around the waist.
Unarmed Combat
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
Avoid Blow

[ Spoiler ]

Ralo flies out of Morganas reach and shouts at her. What did you want to do? Use me for an experiment? Ha! You need to be better than that!

Taunt
[ Spoiler ]

I know blind fat trolls who are quicker then you!
Lady Door
Morgana's eyes narrow. This is for the good of the group, Ralo. You'll thank me for this later.
Morgana fumbles in her bag for a moment and then turns around quickly, her canteen open and splashing a gush of water across Ralo... and his wings.
fistandantilus4.0
Roll missle or throwing weapons, which ever you have, factoring in the minus due to taunt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012