Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blood of the People
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
fistandantilus4.0
Karma awards have been sent. If anyone is spending karma, please PM me your changes.
fistandantilus4.0
Edge has refreshed
fistandantilus4.0
Redjack - excellent post. 1 karma
WearzManySkins
@Rob & Redjack--- MagPye was in AR not VR so he was not tranced or asleep looking.
WearzManySkins
We did not ask any questions about the skills sets of those Mr. Dances On Clouds hired before us. Or the resources applied to those skill sets.

How good was the ritual casting?
How good was Mr. TwoFeathers?
How good was the security team guarding the Estate?
How good was the LEO detective who investigated?

Making the assumption that they were incompetent nobodies is a real bad mistake.

We are dealing with a situation, where the other side is as good as us or even better.
Redjack
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 in IC @ Aug 12 2007, 04:41 PM)
Now, so we're all on the same page, it's always been my understanding that social skills can be used on other PCs just as well as an NPC. Just because it's someone's character doesn't mean that they should be immune to intimidation or, in this example, good bargaining/badgering/whatever.

Hmmm... I thought player to player social situations were always role-play, not roll-play.. frown.gif

So Redjack, roll for Nix. Wearz winning the test doesn't mean you'll roll over and say ok. But net hits would mean some concessions. If you disagree or have a case to make, post up in the OOC.

I will roll but I must protest my character being forced to concede to a plan he disagrees with that he believes could lead to disastrous results by a person who he knows is using magic to try and sway his opinion.
1,1,1,3,3,6,3,4 = 1 hit

Now if you take away dice for disastrous results(-4) and lack of background knowledge (-2) for Magpye in regards to summoning that drops the last six dice off his roll, leaving him with one success.

-RJ
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Redjack)
Now, so we're all on the same page, it's always been my understanding that social skills can be used on other PCs just as well as an NPC. Just because it's someone's character doesn't mean that they should be immune to intimidation or, in this example, good bargaining/badgering/whatever.

Hmmm... I thought player to player social situations were always role-play, not roll-play.. frown.gif

So Redjack, roll for Nix. Wearz winning the test doesn't mean you'll roll over and say ok. But net hits would mean some concessions. If you disagree or have a case to make, post up in the OOC.

I will roll but I must protest my character being forced to concede to a plan he disagrees with that he believes could lead to disastrous results by a person who he knows is using magic to try and sway his opinion.
1,1,1,3,3,6,3,4 = 1 hit

Now if you take away dice for disastrous results(-4) and lack of background knowledge (-2) for Magpye in regards to summoning that drops the last six dice off his roll, leaving him with one success.

-RJ

This is a straight up negations situation.

Things this negotiations cover are
Living quarters
Use of summoning materials
Use of a Decker

an WTF disastrous results(-4)?!?!?!
Lack of background?!!<! in this situation since it is covering more than just summoning, no joy in this attempt
The same could be applied to your pc lack of knowledge of decking and or data searches, but again that is reaching.

Quit quibbling and just take the rolls as they are. Despite what you may feel I am not going to do what you make think.
fistandantilus4.0
Since we're compromising here, instead of negative modifiers, I'll apply a postive modifier to Redjack's rolls. I would say apply a +4 dice modifier to your roll Redjack.

Lack of background knowledge doesn't really apply to agic, especailly since you did say that Magpye is using magic to influence you, So he obviosuly has some understanding. The +4 is what Nix percieves as disatrous results, and as such, would be much more resitant to going against it.

Fair? Roll away RJ.
WearzManySkins
*puzzled look* MagPye uses Magic?
Redjack
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 12 2007, 05:23 PM)
Quit quibbling and just take the rolls as they are.

I thought that we were negotiating here?

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Aug 12 2007, 05:29 PM)
Roll away RJ.

4,5,1,5= +2 hits
Post for me.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 12 2007, 05:47 PM)
MagPye uses Magic?

Yes. Adepts are magical and Kinesics is a magical ability.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Redjack)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 12 2007, 05:23 PM)
Quit quibbling and just take the rolls as they are.

I thought that we were negotiating here?

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Aug 12 2007, 05:29 PM)
Roll away RJ.

4,5,1,5= +2 hits
Post for me.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 12 2007, 05:47 PM)
MagPye uses Magic?

Yes. Adepts are magical and Kinesics is a magical ability.

rotfl.gif Boy you have not looked at MagPye's sheet I can see.

He is not an adept. All cyberwear and bioware baby. biggrin.gif If he was adept he would be rolling alot more dice. biggrin.gif

So that brings you up to 3 successes?

MagPye has 5 successes.
Redjack
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
He is not an adept. All cyberwear and bioware baby. biggrin.gif If he was adept he would be rolling alot more dice. biggrin.gif

Ok. You got me, I haven't looked at his sheet, I just saw all those dice... wink.gif
In any case, I'm thinking the only way to negotiate with people is in full VR. Gets rid of almost everything but CHR & Bargain.. Any of your ware have an effect that carries over to full VR?
WearzManySkins
Well no, but we have few players that have the simmodule for full VR, MagPye does not, IIRC yours is one of the few of us that can go full VR, due he has the hardware to do so.

Besides MapPye will be finding out soon, when he attempts to negotiate with Hackman.

None of MagPye's negotiation enhancements will work in Full VR.
fistandantilus4.0
OK, so the main point of debate is concerning the allocation of resources. Magpye being concerned that all the cred is being put in to summoing when a decker could be expensive for instance.

So a proper response for the negotiation roll could be cutting back the resources for summong a bit, or at the very least, waiting until the cost for the decker is known, so what resources are required is known.
WearzManySkins
Clarification

We have IMHO several things that need/want monies spent on
1. Ritual to locate Dances on Clouds son
2. Ritual to locate Dances on Clouds ex wife
3. Ritual to locate Mr. TwoFeathers
4. A place to stay not in the back of a truck, or in a fleabag motel.
5. Decker to investigate things about Las Vegas hole in abductions
6. Decker to investigate Dances on Clouds ex wife
7. Decker to investigate things on Mr. TwoFeathers, so we can locate his residence, and Caliph can break into it for ritual items.

Now if Virgina comes back and the attempted ritual to locate his son is below the skills possessed by our Team, then how much more dice can we add over what was spent earlier?

If the effort to locate him by ritual is greater than our resources/skills at ritual location then we need to use the ritual for something else like the ex wife.

I see three things we can use the ritual attempt on, but not enough resources to do all three.

I see three things that we can use a decker on, but more than likely not enough monies to do all three.

FYI MagPye living in a flea bag or in the back of truck is a disastrous results to him at least.
Trigger
Do you want me to just make up detail concerning Magik UNderNet or do you have the details on the topography and such of it, as well as the information I am looking for. Also, do I have to do this all in one matrix run, or do I have a more open connection to Magik then a one time thing?
fistandantilus4.0
Magik UNdernet is always in the same place, but the passcode changes every month. Roll datasearch for finding info. No modifiers. NOrmally there'd be minuses, but you're in the right place.

As for topography, I think you've got the general idea. Be creative.
Trigger
Alright then.

Data Search 2 + Browse 4 : 6 Dice = 2 Successes

Or do you want me to do an old fashioned data search, not relying on my program, since I am kind of searching by hand, ie Data Search 2 + Logic 5 : 7 Dice = Still Two Successes

I will post up again IC after I know what I have learned in there.
fistandantilus4.0
Two hits gives you some basic information, including the downloads from the Draco Foundatoin, as well of a copy of the old Threats File copied from Shadowland concerning the Blood Mage Cabal of Aztlan.

Also included are the histories of the Aztec and Mayan blodo sacrifices, a few "papers" on the tie ins of blood magic to the old sacrifice traditions.

There is also general information concerning the purpose of blood magic. Essentially that Blodo magic is a form of deferring Drain by taking the blood or life of antoher to power the magic.
WearzManySkins
@Redjack, as part of the successes of my negotiations, the safe house and expenses for there is paid for.

I agree that a ritual needs to conducted, but on whom? Son? Ex Wife, or Mr. TwoFeathers.

Until we get the information on what the previous attempted ritual details it is a bit premature for the ritual to be for the son.

We need information, ritual magic is one way of getting it. But if Dances on Clouds used as skilled if not more skilled than we have, and used more spirits of greater force. Do you really think you will have a snow balls chance?

So far two major bits of information we have gotten is, Eyes assensing the room, and the data search in child abductions.

The Assensing is something the opposition has little control over after they preformed the abductions, since they no longer had any control over the son's room. The only way I see they could have prevented the assensing would be to cause a massive act of violence using lots of spilling of blood to mask the scene.

The data search again the opposition has little control over the compilation of such data. Yes they could have tried, but the Matrix would have picked up on it at one time, then things would have gotten interesting for them.

The opposition uses magic, there a good chance there is more than one magical type on their side. That is how they are able to prevent trace backs on the subjects they have taken.

We need to find ways of getting information that the opposition does not have a lock on.

Until we have more details on the previous attempt, going for the ritual on the son, is not a good choice at this time.

We did not ask that question of Dances on Clouds while we were there. We did not do a security of the site walk thru, which would have given us details on how good Dances On Clouds security is.

We also need information that a decker can provide for us also. How much such will cost, has yet to be determined.

The son has been gone for over 3 weeks, some more hours before we decide on which course or courses we need to pursue, will not greatly affect his life, if he still is alive very much.

I want you to do a ritual for information, but I want to have a chance for said ritual to give us that information.
fistandantilus4.0
Like I just said, smartass, request denied

rotfl.gif Finally, a group of criminals that acts liek a group of criminals!

3CSP for everybody

This isn't to promote inter-team conflict. Its for good roleplaying.
Redjack
@Wearz
So in any case it sounds as though we could use all the spirit back up I can must.
So I'll do this: I'll proceed forward summoning spirits while the rest of the team continues their investigations.
WearzManySkins
@Redjack unless the spirits are used for a ritual casting, using the bound spirits against them is a lose lose situation. There are more of them than us, they have better organization, TEAM work, and deeper financial pockets.

Trying to Spirit Bludgeon our way past them is a lost cause.

Bound spirits are not the end all solution for all situations. We have to think, not use routine #1 etc.

If we had access to the 100k I would say go for it, but we don't.

They have the added edge of Blood Magic also and the wonderful spirits that come with it. smile.gif

Please do not proceed with the summonings until we gain more information. Again there is no DEADline here, the son has been gone for 3+ weeks.

Besides did you see MagPye's comment on the Magical Alignment and or Astrological Event in the near or soon future?
Redjack
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
unless the spirits are used for a ritual casting, using the bound spirits against them is a lose lose situation. There are more of them than us, they have better organization, TEAM work, and deeper financial pockets.

I have to disagree with that assertion from beginning to end. You are guessing, assuming and just presenting your hypothesis. None of that is proven. Here are the facts:
1) A 5 year old boy was abducted by 1 (or more) individuals
2) Very powerful magic was used in the process.
3) Some measure of ritual sorcery was attempted without success
4) A detective who went looking has since also disappeared.

Beyond that we know NOTHING about the organization, team work or finances of the opposition. They may just be lucky or they may be all of the above or more.

Again there is no DEADline here, the son has been gone for 3+ weeks

This is another assertion without merit. He might be sacrificed in 24 hours or someone may intend to raise him as their son. There is not enough information to state either definitively.

Trying to Spirit Bludgeon our way past them is a lost cause. Bound spirits are not the end all solution for all situations. We have to think, not use routine #1 etc.

I did not at any time insinuate that we bludgeon our way anywhere and I'm a little put off that you are trying to make your point using this misdirection. indifferent.gif

I must tell you that your post is not serving to convince or sway me to your plan. The condescending tone and nature, coupled with the presentation of opinions as fact are doing quite the opposite.

So, as a player, I believe that ALL routes that lead to more information are in fact the correct way to proceed, as proceed as rapidly as possible. Each character continuing their research as stated until we gain some solid leads to follow. I do not suggest that we attempt any measure of frontal assault, but I do believe that we will have to face down some powerful magics before this is over and preparing defenses is also in our best interest.

-RJ
WearzManySkins
Well gents I will be stepping away from this game, as Shadow stated earlier our play styles are just too far apart.

Have fun

WMS
fistandantilus4.0
Sorry to see you go Wearz. However I understand your reasons, and respect you for choosing not to butt heads and fighting it out when it would just frustrate you more. I'd give you parting karma, but I don't know how it would help. smile.gif
Trigger
Sad to see you go man, but if that's the way it has got to be.
Redjack
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 13 2007, 10:54 PM)
Fact children ages 2-7 with or with out Talent abductions are above the norm baseline for this area/region

Absolutely valid. Missed that one.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 13 2007, 10:54 PM)
Well gents I will be stepping away from this game

Sorry you feel that way. Good luck in your travels.
fistandantilus4.0
OK guys, Redjack is hung up at Gencon for the moment. Since we're waiting on him to handle the talismonger's shop, this might take a day or two. No worries.
Redjack
Checking in real quick. Getting up and going here but I'm running a game, playing a game, then running one table at the tourney so it'll be tomorrow before I'm back again.

I'm looking to pick up supplies to summon two more F3 Air Elementals (I brought supplies with for one F3 Air Elemental already).
fistandantilus4.0
If you were just giong to get supplies for now and intend to go back later for more work, that's ok. You can meet the Sister later. Let me know if you're just shopping for now, and we can come back to the shop later.
Redjack
Oh... I assume the circle is at the Talismonger's shop then? Will post with that understanding.
Redjack
To speed things up, I'll post all summoning and binding rolls now. Then in IC, I will post in the time line depending upon drain and the like since he has time enough to get it all right.

F3 Air #1 - Optional Power: Elemental Attack
Summoning: 6,1,4,4,6,1,2,1,4 = 2 hits
Binding: 1,3,5,3,4,2,3,3,5,2,1 = 2 hits

F3 Air #2 - Optional Power: Guard
Summoning: 2,1,1,1,3,1,5,6,5 = 3 hits
Binding: 4,5,2,1,4,4,3,1,1,1,6 = 2 hits

F3 Air #3 - Optional Power: Fear
Summoning: 3,3,3,1,5,2,6,6,6 = 4 hits
Binding: 4,5,1,2,3,4,1,6,3,4,6 = 3 hits

Let me know about resistance and we'll go from there. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Redjack)
Oh... I assume the circle is at the Talismonger's shop then? Will post with that understanding.

yes sorry that wasn't clear

@RJ
#1 Restance tests : 1 net hit ,1 net hit
#2 2 net , 1 net
#3 3 net, 3 net

That last one just didn't like you apparently
Redjack
Do you mean net or total?

Did you get 3 or 0 on the last?
fistandantilus4.0
To clarify - the spirits rolled that many hits. So the last one is not bound. The others you would have 2 services owed from each. smile.gif
Redjack
Thanks!
Spend a point of edge on the last to re roll failures: 6,2,5,5,6,2,1,6 = 5 hits
fistandantilus4.0
Normally I'd ask for drain resist, but since these are low numbers, and you're resting anyways, no worries.
Redjack
Yea, he can buy off the drain from the first two binding and is succumbing to fatigue after the third. biggrin.gif
Redjack
QUOTE (rob in IC @ Aug 23 2007, 06:00 PM)
...nix the idea...

What? Hey! I'm not a bat or something to to smacking yourself in the head with.... nyahnyah.gif
rob
Dammit, you caught that...
Redjack
Let me know when we're ready for morning.
Trigger
I'm ready whenever.

@Fist: I am also ready whenever to do my karma spending thing I talked to you about biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Trigger)
I'm ready whenever.

@Fist: I am also ready whenever to do my karma spending thing I talked to you about biggrin.gif

The Mission/Quest/Thing into Mordor?
[ Spoiler ]
rob
My last post moves it to morning. NEXT!
Redjack
Trigger?
Trigger
Aye aye, playing a game in RL at the moment, but I will post up in IC later today.

@Fist: Precisely that.
fistandantilus4.0
OK rob and Redjack both have their evening's work finished up and most likely will be resting until some time the next day. Trigger has his own plans for the day that I'll be coordinating with him on. So what are you two doing on Day Two?
Redjack
Nix is expecting Aiden to show up and run overwatch on the ritual... so if Aiden doesn't show up, Nix'll be contacting him.
Trigger
Yeah, Aiden will sleep deeply through the night after scouting Caliph's areas. In the morning he will help with Nix's ritualcasting and when that is done, if everything went well, he will spend the rest of the day doing his thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012