Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I will Black Hammer your mom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Fortune
If I was paying millions of dollars for a computer, it had damn well better match my office's color scheme. biggrin.gif
mfb
attempting to apply logic and rationality to SR is the point of most of the threads on this board. it's a hopeless task that some of us enjoy wasting time on.

most people who buy multi-million dollar computers do so because they watched shows like Star Trek and Farscape when they were growing up. we're as impressed by sleek design as anyone else--but unlike non-geeks, we are more impressed by actual performance.

besides which, smaller and sleeker means more portable. i carry my laptop around because it lets me do some of my work wherever i go. if i could pack the power and utility of my desktop multimedia machine into a laptop, i'd be able to do all of my work wherever i go, and i would be a very happy man.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 20 2007, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 21 2007, 03:25 AM)
kzt, its called headware, and installed in the head.  Get over it.

Except when implanted in a Cyberarm or torso or ...

Do you have a specific quote that states (other than the category title) that a commlink must be implanted in the head, as opposed to any other part of the body? The same question applies to things like Datajacks, which can also be implanted in places other than the actual head.

Yes, I do. It comes from, (imagine this one) right below the category title. SR4, 330, "These small complex devices are inserted into the head (typically constructed via less-invasive nanosurgery). Items that have a Capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs instead, costing capacity rather than Essence."

Datajacks officially can't unless they're in a cyberlimb and implanted with capacity. Doesn't that suck?
Fortune
Wow! A quote that states that a commlink or datajack can indeed be implanted in something other than the head, which is exactly what I said (even down to the cyberlimb example). Thanks. smile.gif
kzt
QUOTE (mfb)
most people who buy multi-million dollar computers do so because they watched shows like Star Trek and Farscape when they were growing up.

No, they buy them because they are needed to do a job and nothing less expensive will do it as effectively. Then they park them in stark windowless rooms full of other expensive computers and giant air conditioners.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 20 2007, 05:29 PM)
Wow! A quote that states that a commlink or datajack can indeed be implanted in something other than the head, which is exactly what I said (even down to the cyberlimb example). Thanks. smile.gif

Uhh, no, it can ONLY be installed in a cyberlimb costing capacity, or in your head, costing essence.

No other options are given, and therefore, aren't RAW.
mfb
sigh. yes, and they got tech jobs in the first place because they watched Star Trek and Farscape. most tech geeks are sci-fi geeks who grew up (or didn't, whichever). for instance, the Bird of Prey prototype stealth plane was named after the Klingon warship.
Fortune
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Uhh, no, it can ONLY be installed in a cyberlimb costing capacity, or in your head, costing essence.

No other options are given, and therefore, aren't RAW.

ohplease.gif

In what way did I ever even imply that was the case?

Your original statement was that they could only be installed in the head ...

QUOTE (Tarantula)
kzt, its called headware, and installed in the head. Get over it.

My reply refuted that, and even included examples (even RAW examples) of where said commlink could be installed ...

QUOTE (Me)
Except when implanted in a Cyberarm or torso or ...

You then went off on a rant about how wrong I was, when in fact I am, according to all you references to RAW, totally correct in my original statement.

Do you have some personal reason for persisting in asserting that I am wrong in this, or that I have stated or even implied anything more than I actually did? question.gif
Tarantula
My point is that it can't be implanted in ANY part of the BODY. Only that it can be installed in the head OR in a cyberlimb. If you have no cyberlimbs, you can't put it anywhere except in the head.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (mfb)
attempting to apply logic and rationality to SR is the point of most of the threads on this board. it's a hopeless task that some of us enjoy wasting time on.

...seconded, and thank you.

...now about those "grain of sand" microprocessors...

This is intriguing.

The only thing limiting absolute miniaturisation of computer workstations in the present day are the interfaces needed to interact with them, display, and print documents. So yeah, I could conceivably have a computer "box" the size of the 100 ct bottle of Alleveā„¢ sitting on my desk (the box I now have is about the size of a Harry Potter Hardback novel & is one of the more powerful workstations in our plant), but it still would need a clunky keyboard, pointing device, monitor, printer and all the various ports/connections as well as an AC power cord. Mind you it would look awfully funny with all those cords & cables coming out of something so small.

So then we look at wireless interfacing. Make the "bottle of Alleve" a 200 ct size & give it wireless capability both for it's peripherals and the local intranet. Now all the cables are gone. OK next replace the physical keyboard with a projected Virtual Keyboard (I've actually seen one of these). After that you replace the LCD flat screen with a real 3d projection monitor (there is a link somewhere in a thread on this forum to a website about this). So now you are down to the printer and pointer. for the pointer that's easy, you make the display "touch sensitive" through employing a pointing device worn on the finger that interacts with the map of the projected display or with a wireless data glove.

The system could also link with specially designed glasses or a visor.

About the only peripheral that wouldn't benefit would be the printer. As long as the standard business sized document is 8.5" x 11" and dry toner is employed, "useful" printers will not come down much more in size than they already have. (I have an old Lexmark ink jet lying about somewhere that is about the size of a loaf of Italian bread, though it only holds about 25 sheets and is excruciatingly slow). Of course the solution for a workplace environment is a central printing station linked to the local intranet.

So now you have pretty much reclaimed your desktop save for the small footprint taken up by the display & keyboard projector (which could be housed in one unit)

Where is this all going?

In a sense, it appears we already have the technology for the 2070 commlink (sans DNI interface) well within reach, about three years before the projected "Awakening".

I love it when fiction has to occasionally play catch up with RL. grinbig.gif
Cthulhudreams
Fiction always does. Just look at where modern computing was in 1944 - 63 years ago, and the delta between Now and Then, and the (fairly small) delta between now and 2070.

First electric telegraph was used for regular communication in the 1830s. Radio kicked off in 1901 or there abouts. You could say the internet was developed in 1980. 70-90 years between major, major technologically communications breakthroughs.

Thats an 80 year delta. There could very well be a huge new milestone in communications technology by 2060! Whereas the SR matrix is just a big open access wimax network.

To put in it context what futurist could have guessed the internet in 1944. None. How are these guys going to get it all tight!
Kyoto Kid
...there are your futurists, individual, institute, and corporate, who attempt to extrapolate from current scientific and social trends on what the future my be like.

These frequently have come up short.

Then there's the fictional authors like Verne, Heinlein and Clarke, who on occasion have seen a concept or two of theirs come to fruition such as the viable submarine boat, home computer, "instant cook" (microwave) and robotics.

Somewhere on this board there is a link concerning the inventor of the cell phone. His inspiration came from Roddenbery's Star Trek Communicator. Today's flip phones owe a lot to the old 1960's prop.

...a few more (from the original series)

Computers with voice recognition
Insertable Read/write data chip
Laser Surgery
Global Teleconferencing
Portable Computer Systems
Resonant Imaging

Now whether fiction (particularly SF) has prophesied the future or was more a inspiration for an invention is hard to say. I'm sure that some people asked, "I wonder of that really would work?" A few pursued it and today we have a number of personal conveniences that if you took them back even twenty years would be looked on as being "Sci-Fi".

This is why it humours me when a futuristic game like Shadowrun which is so wrapped up in "whiz-bang" tech has to do a midcourse adjustment after a RL advance in technology catches everyone by surprise.

In some ways, it's almost easier to set things in the far flung future (like Traveller) with tech that is so improbable it would almost never be eclipsed by RL developments.

It's not anything bad mind you for I know that it takes time to playtest and get everything ready for release, deal with the printer, bindery, distribution channels, etc.
kzt
Several SF authors have mentioned that near future is really hard to do well. It's extra-hard to do well and hot have people laugh at it in 10 years. Some just won't do it. Far Future or ATLs are easier.
eidolon
Worth tossing in at this point, I think, is that the SR world is not "our world + # years".
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (eidolon)
Worth tossing in at this point, I think, is that the SR world is not "our world + # years".

...as evidenced by the NYC quake of 2005.
eidolon
And everything else in the SR books after about page one of SR1. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...of course SR1 was released in 89, so technically, that "event" was still 16 years off at the time and maybe-possibly-coulda' happened. grinbig.gif

Still, the destruction of Carnegie Hall, the Performance venue wet-dream of any respectable musician, was a sad thing. frown.gif

Kind of the same for the original Royal Festival Hall in London which was in the area now known as the Lambeth Containment Zone.
Adarael
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
The box I now have is about the size of a Harry Potter Hardback novel & is one of the more powerful workstations in our plant.

What do you do again, KK? Is it a box for CAM, or something?
Kyoto Kid
...digital print prep and managment.
Emperor Tippy
I just skimmed though this thread so pardon any inadvertent repetition.

The first thing people need to remember is just how rare a person with a 5 or 6 in a skill really is. An NFL player is only rating 5 in Athletics. Shaq is rating 6. Presidents of nations are the equivalent level for Social skills.

Most of the people in the Shadowrun word who work for a corp have maybe 1 skillgroup at 3 ranks. That is a college degree in their field.

And many wage slaves aren't even at that level.

So the security rigger at anything less than an ultra secure AA-AAA facility has maybe 4 points in the relevant skills.

You also have to realize that any commonly available program will be exploited and become easily cracked very quickly. Yeah, that script kiddy can download a bunch of rating 6 programs, but how many other people have downloaded them as well? This is a SINer kid who has enough money for these programs. Lone Star could track him down in a day, a mega could do it in hours or less. And remember, spreading a computer virus is an Omega Order offense. The CC drop's Thor Shots on your head for doing it. And once the corps recognize the vulnerability they upgrade their security and put out patches for everyone else. Say 10,000 script kiddies bought those rating 6 programs, a week later they are rating 1 because 1 of them got caught and the programs exploit was closed.

And let's look at window in real life. It is known to be an insecure OS but it still controls over 85% of the home computer business and is fairly big in the corporate sector (I don't have exact numbers). There are already bot nets made up of more than 10 million computers. What do you think happens in Shadowrun where everyone over about the age of 5 has a computer on them at all times?

Maybe 5% of the people in the Shadowun universe actually have good, secure comlinks.

So when you get your PC runner hacker who has 6 ranks in the relevant groups, is using SOTA (or better) tech, with custom coded programs that are almost as good as AAA megacorps have, yeah he should crush pretty much every system he will face. Yes he can crash the marks taxi. Yes he can make that Lone Star car think it's on the other side of the city. Yes he can kill the average person on the street without warning or being traced. He is also 1 of at most 500 people in the world with that capability. He's the Shaq of hacking, the wright brothers, the Blue Angles Stunt Pilot, the President of a nation, the CEO of a megacorp.

So why should a company spend millions of nuyen on a computer system that will keep out that hacker when they can spend a hundred thousand nuyen and keep out the other 6,499,999,500 people. Especially when most of the few people capable of this type of hacking work for prime megacorps or governements.

Maybe a dozen runners in the world are that skilled.

As for the Agent Smith problem, perhaps the Matrix backbones analyze the traffic through them and if they notice to many copies of the Agent they just purge it?

Yes teh matrix has lots of problems but the vast majoity of them arise when you start thinking of the PC runner as teh norm.

The simple fact is that your brand new, just generated, 400 BP runner could walk up to the front door of any megacorp and say I want a legit SIM and a job and he would have it. Your hacker, mage, or face would start at a high lifestyle level. Adepts and street sams would be largely the same (but they are easier to compensate for).
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
Blue Angles Stunt Pilot,

...ahem, Blue Angel pilots are not "stunt" pilots", they are highly trained precision combat pilots who are specially selected to be members of the team for a two year tour. They are literally the best of the best who put on a display of a specific set of precision areal manoeuvres.

...and this is coming from an Air Force brat.

A stunt pilot is more like the 1920s barnstormers who often exceeded the design envelope of the aircraft they flew. Even today's civilian Aerobatic pilots are precision minded professionals, who know the limits of the machines they fly. While some of the manoeuvres may look spectacular and out of control, the opposite is true. Many of these aircraft are one of a kind, specially built, modified, and stressed for the specific pilot's style of flying.

...I have taken three aerobatic flights with such professionals (though unfortunately not yet with the Angels or 'T-birds) and I can say I felt safer than in a commercial airliner.

Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
Blue Angles Stunt Pilot,

...ahem, Blue Angel pilots are not "stunt" pilots", they are highly trained precision combat pilots who are specially selected to be members of the team for a two year tour. They are literally the best of the best who put on a display of a specific set of precision areal manoeuvres.

...and this is coming from an Air Force brat.

A stunt pilot is more like the 1920s barnstormers who often exceeded the design envelope of the aircraft they flew. Even today's civilian Aerobatic pilots are precision minded professionals, who know the limits of the machines they fly. While some of the manoeuvres may look spectacular and out of control, the opposite is true. Many of these aircraft are one of a kind, specially built, modified, and stressed for the specific pilot's style of flying.

...I have taken three aerobatic flights with such professionals (though unfortunately not yet with the Angels or 'T-birds) and I can say I felt safer than in a commercial airliner.

I know. I was just using the wording given in the core rule book. Page 109.
Kyoto Kid
...many apologies from this end. embarrassed.gif

[looks at reference on PDF]

I'll have to chide the writers then for prolonging the myth, and for placing Evil Kenivel in the Elite class along with Baron Von Richthofen. Kenivel took unnecessary risks. I would put Chuck Yeager up there instead.
Big D
The problem that I have with skill ratings is that the math just doesn't equate to what you'd expect from newbies and pros. Yeah, I understand that the big difference polynomially(is that a word? It should be) is that the probability of getting 1-2 hits on a consistent basis goes way up. But the ability to make higher threshholds really isn't there, when the difference between a dabbler and the best in a hundred years is an average of 2 hits.
kzt
QUOTE (Big D)
The problem that I have with skill ratings is that the math just doesn't equate to what you'd expect from newbies and pros.

It's a weakness of the D6 system and of the bizarre way that only Magicians are allowed to advance forever, unlike everyone else who hits level 6 and comes to screeching halt. Anyone understand why this is?
Fortune
Funny, I thought Resonance was uncapped as well.
kzt
QUOTE (Fortune)
Funny, I thought Resonance was uncapped as well.

They are also magicians (used in the broad sense).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012