Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NAN Fading
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
BlueMax
My comment was not aimed at treaties but at the immediate response. I can imagine a "Wait and See " response from many POTUS tying the hands of the military.
It is very difficult to judge which situations call for the use of massive deadly force.

BlueMax
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 22 2009, 04:42 PM) *
Having said that, you arn't going to pass a treaty without 24 senators from the states that will be ceded to a hostile and genocidal nation.

Okay... BUT, in the Shadowrun Timeline, that is exactly what happened... It is a fact of the Shadowrun History... I would say, Just deal with it... rotate.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 22 2009, 07:25 PM) *
Remember, it is an area that has little to no actual population in comparison to the rest of the United States... SO they got the Great Plains... SO What...

Uh, how about the US's breadbasket? Nope, those stupid American's don't need all that food! Let them eat Poop! ohplease.gif

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 22 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Okay... BUT, in the Shadowrun Timeline, that is exactly what happened... It is a fact of the Shadowrun History... I would say, Just deal with it... rotate.gif

Sorry, when confronted with massive stupidity, I have to respond.

FASA didn't have to break the US the way it did. It did so because they took every cliche and ran with it. I have always said, and will always say, that FASA made a nice game system, but their fluff sucks balls.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 22 2009, 05:20 PM) *
Uh, how about the US's breadbasket? Nope, those stupid American's don't need all that food! Let them eat Poop! ohplease.gif

Sorry, when confronted with massive stupidity, I have to respond.

FASA didn't have to break the US the way it did. It did so because they took every cliche and ran with it. I have always said, and will always say, that FASA made a nice game system, but their fluff sucks balls.

Not a lot of Breadbasket in Arizona or New Mexico, or Montana, or Utah, or Nevada... Just Saying... And with PArts of Canada joining the UCAS, well, there is the replacement for any perceived loss of US Breadbasket...

Stupid is as Stupid Does...

And I will continue to say that that is JUST your OPINION...
Wacky
Hey, does anyone know how the various Native Amerindian Nations all feel about each other? I know that the Tsimshian and SSC had it out for one another, but what about the others?

I'm running the second part of an adventure next Thursday and one of the characters has a (Fake) SIN for the Pueblo Corporate Council and is going through the SSC to get to the Tir (they're delivering a Eurocar as part of their "legal" run). So if (when) they get pulled over with a particular tribe how will that fly?

Any suggestions would be great. My knowledge is limited to Target: UCAS & Shadows of North America.

Sign--
Wacky
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 22 2009, 07:53 PM) *
Not a lot of Breadbasket in Arizona or New Mexico, or Montana, or Utah, or Nevada... Just Saying... And with PArts of Canada joining the UCAS, well, there is the replacement for any perceived loss of US Breadbasket...

OK, you're right about agriculture not being as important in those states, but here is a listing of what is major in those states:

Washington: agriculture (11th largest in the nation)
Oregon: agriculture, cattle
Nevada: gold and cattle
Arizona: copper, cotton, cattle
Utah: coal, cattle
New Mexico: oil and natural gas
Colorado: agriculture, oil and natural gas
Montana: agriculture, lumber, gold, silver, and coal
Wyoming: oil, coal, natural gas, trona (largest deposit in the world), Uranium

So seeing what is in each state would the US just give up without a fight? If you say yes, then... frown.gif ... I would not want you as President.

Stupid is as Stupid Does...

Leave off the personal attacks pal! mad.gif

I was not calling you stupid, I was calling FASA stupid.

And I will continue to say that that is JUST your OPINION...

And considering that there are others who agree with me... yeah my opinion, but I have support.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 22 2009, 06:51 PM) *
And the Treaty of Denver didn't?

Sorry Kigmatzomat, the Treaty killed off the US and the Natams got to laugh all the way to the bank.

Y'know, there are aspects of the timeline you don't seem to get. Five years prior, the US government started GIVING away their territory to foreign powers. Matter of fact, they were stealing it from US citizens to give to said foreign powers. You may know them better as Extra Territorial Corporations.

So the U.S. was ALREADY handing their natural resources away and creating armies outside the normal government framework within the national borders.

As for the value of the NAN states, well, they come up to about 33.8 Million (pre-vitas ~2006) people and around $1.35 Trillion GDP. Now the actual value to the US was probably lower than that because of all the assets given to the proto-megacorps. What was it, 25% of federal lands and 10% of indian territories with oil were handed to United Oil? How much does that decrease the effective economy when it goes to a non-taxable foreign group?

Now let's compare/contrast. California has 36M (pre vitas, ~2006) people and an economy worth around $1.8 Trillion. Yeah, California has a big budget deficit, so does Arizona and a few other western states, so the deficits are a wash.

The entire NAN region is less valuable than California economically and it has fewer people.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jul 22 2009, 11:26 PM) *
Y'know, there are aspects of the timeline you don't seem to get. Five years prior, the US government started GIVING away their territory to foreign powers. Matter of fact, they were stealing it from US citizens to give to said foreign powers. You may know them better as Extra Territorial Corporations.

So the U.S. was ALREADY handing their natural resources away and creating armies outside the normal government framework within the national borders.

As for the value of the NAN states, well, they come up to about 33.8 Million (pre-vitas ~2006) people and around $1.35 Trillion GDP. Now the actual value to the US was probably lower than that because of all the assets given to the proto-megacorps. What was it, 25% of federal lands and 10% of indian territories with oil were handed to United Oil? How much does that decrease the effective economy when it goes to a non-taxable foreign group?

Now let's compare/contrast. California has 36M (pre vitas, ~2006) people and an economy worth around $1.8 Trillion. Yeah, California has a big budget deficit, so does Arizona and a few other western states, so the deficits are a wash.

The entire NAN region is less valuable than California economically and it has fewer people.

You know, as crazy as this sounds, I can accept the megacorps much more so than the NAN.

I still think that they are stupid as well, but not nearly as bad as the NAN.
LurkerOutThere
My followup throught to that would be the megacorporate extra-territoriality while kind of silly in a real world context does set up the awesomeness that is Shadowun. The NAN? Not so much. It serves really no purpose other then to isolate Seattle, what was originally the primary campaign setting.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 22 2009, 10:18 PM) *
OK, you're right about agriculture not being as important in those states, but here is a listing of what is major in those states:

Washington: agriculture (11th largest in the nation)
Oregon: agriculture, cattle
Nevada: gold and cattle
Arizona: copper, cotton, cattle
Utah: coal, cattle
New Mexico: oil and natural gas
Colorado: agriculture, oil and natural gas
Montana: agriculture, lumber, gold, silver, and coal
Wyoming: oil, coal, natural gas, trona (largest deposit in the world), Uranium

So seeing what is in each state would the US just give up without a fight? If you say yes, then... frown.gif ... I would not want you as President.

And considering that there are others who agree with me... yeah my opinion, but I have support.

First... have you looked at what the US Gained with the creation of UCAS and the inclusion of the Canadian States? And if you are going to complain about losing territory, lets not forget the secession of the CAS... as for what the President is willing to accede and what he is not, well, to each his own... you seem to be forgetting the circumstances that were present at the time...

The UCAS would have inherited a significant amounts of resources (Natural Gas, Oil, Minerals, etc) from the Canadian States, and Cattle (One of the predominant themes in your resource list) is starting to be replaced by Microprotein, Kelp, and Soy, as the amounts of beef (Pork, Chicken, etc.) resources are VASTLY INSIGNIFICANT to what the world needs, so no real loss there...

Second... There is significant support for the other view point as well, so it truly is a wash, isn't it?

And apologies for implying that you are stupid... my purpose was to imply that this argument is stupid in a lot of ways (not those that are involved in it)... History is exactly that... History... You cannot change the history... It is what it is...

In the reality of Shadowrun, you can only move on and hope for the best... these things have happened, and no amount of wishing it away will change it... In real life there are a lot of crazy/screwed up/horrendous things that have occurred throughout history... no amount of wishing them away will change them... they are afterall History... we can only hope to learn from them and move on...

But Hey... YMMV... Keep the Faith...
LurkerOutThere
Your putting the cart before the horse a little bit, at the time of the treaty of denver the US and Canada didn't know what they were getting out of being the UCAS because it hadn't happened yet. All that was in their immediate world view was the nation shattering losses they were looking at in the treaty of Denver.

As to yoru second view about history being immutable, no it's not, the retcon of the anglo expulsion proves that, or the design team coduld decide to do a "final crisis" event and things could be rewritten just as easily. Would I support that sort of event, meh I'm somewhat 50/50. History is immutable certainly, but this isn't histroy we're talking about, it's a game and it's supposed back story whether believable or not.

Going back to the posters original question, yes the NAN has faded, but then again all national powers have faded. The story of shadowrun is a story about the corporations and the runners they employ in their shadow wars. With any luck the NAN will continue to fade or, maybe for a change of pace we'll see a series of splats that deal not with what frosty and the other immortal elves are doing with their time, and maybe what happens when the azzies start to push north, or the NAN pushes east or any number of things.
kigmatzomat
I've been thinking on the political climate and events. I'm willing to allow the SCOTUS declaring corporations to be declared semi-sovereign to decide appropriate use of force when the public good (aka toxic waste) is at risk. Given food riots and the like, doing otherwise is double jeopardy for the corps where they are damned if they use lethal force to avoid a toxic spill or damned if they don't and a lethal toxic spill happens.

However the Resource Rush doesn't explicitly follow. Yay, you can police your facilities. How does that evolve into "gimme that!" with the govt actually doing it? It's not like the corps were richer or acquired the jedi mind trick from a court case.

The answer is corruption, across the board, in all three branches of goverment. Corrupt, greedy self serving politicians in congress to pass laws that obviously only benefit the proto-megacorps, in the white house to sign them and courts to uphold them.

Corrupt people wrap themselves in patriotism but by definition they won't have the best interests of the nation in mind. Their own skins and profit are all that matters.

Now bring out scary magic indians who confound the military and blow up mountains. Magic indians who maybe, possibly, had something to do with the assassin that took out President Garrety and was never captured. Even if they don't maybe they'll turn their magic on the leaders. Maybe said leaders will explode if that happens.

Do these politicians really give a crap about Montana or South Dakota? If they did would they have signed off on their parks and private lands being handed over for mining, drilling and logging by the corps?

As long as the suits keep their offshore bank accounts and cushy offices you can do whatever you want.

A patriot might nuke the indians (gotta kill the country to save the country) but that patriot wouldn't have gone along with the Resource Rush that provoked SAIM.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jul 23 2009, 10:39 AM) *
I've been thinking on the political climate and events. I'm willing to allow the SCOTUS declaring corporations to be declared semi-sovereign to decide appropriate use of force when the public good (aka toxic waste) is at risk. Given food riots and the like, doing otherwise is double jeopardy for the corps where they are damned if they use lethal force to avoid a toxic spill or damned if they don't and a lethal toxic spill happens.

However the Resource Rush doesn't explicitly follow. Yay, you can police your facilities. How does that evolve into "gimme that!" with the govt actually doing it? It's not like the corps were richer or acquired the jedi mind trick from a court case.

The answer is corruption, across the board, in all three branches of goverment. Corrupt, greedy self serving politicians in congress to pass laws that obviously only benefit the proto-megacorps, in the white house to sign them and courts to uphold them.

Corrupt people wrap themselves in patriotism but by definition they won't have the best interests of the nation in mind. Their own skins and profit are all that matters.

Now bring out scary magic indians who confound the military and blow up mountains. Magic indians who maybe, possibly, had something to do with the assassin that took out President Garrety and was never captured. Even if they don't maybe they'll turn their magic on the leaders. Maybe said leaders will explode if that happens.

Do these politicians really give a crap about Montana or South Dakota? If they did would they have signed off on their parks and private lands being handed over for mining, drilling and logging by the corps?

As long as the suits keep their offshore bank accounts and cushy offices you can do whatever you want.

A patriot might nuke the indians (gotta kill the country to save the country) but that patriot wouldn't have gone along with the Resource Rush that provoked SAIM.

I can definitely get behind this...
kzt
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jul 23 2009, 10:39 AM) *

Except that this is stupid. Anyone has the right to use deadly force to prevent death or serious bodily injury to another. {OK, outside of California, New Jersey and New York, which have insanely limited the right of self-defense.} And having your security guards shoot people on a public highway doesn't, even in SR canon, exempt you from being arrested and/or sued as you didn't do this on corporate territory.
kigmatzomat
As I understand self defense in the general sense, you can use lethal force to defend yourself when you believe someone's life is in immediate jeopardy. You typically can't get away with blazing away at an assailant in a fist fight. Fire a warning shot to get their attention, then, in accordance with South Park law, if they come right for you you can blow them away. After all, only meth heads will charge a drawn gun (at least that's the standard defense)

The seretech case was different.
My recollection of the trigger event aggregated over 4 editions was that seretech was transporting toxic waste through an area that had a food supply crisis due to a teamster strike. Rioters thought the truck was food and converged. The guards could have escaped but defended the truck with deadly force.

The seretech defense was based on the need for agents of a corporate (entrusted with toxic waste by the government specifically because of their expertise and understanding of the danger posed by the waste) to be able to act in a manner that was in the best interest of all even if that involved taking extreme actions. Or in other words, we had to kill a few rioters to save the rest of them and anyone else in a 3 mile radius.

The (paraphrased) decision said that (large) corporations had a responsibility to take action that was in the interest of the common good and are not accountable under civil and criminal oversight after the fact. It at some point said to treat them as if they were foreign powers, probably drawing on the laws of diplomatic immunity, where agents of foreign powers who are legally in a coutry can only be deported for any crimes, excluding those handful like espionage, terrorism, assassination of government officials, etc.
Critias
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jul 24 2009, 12:09 AM) *
Fire a warning shot to get their attention, then, in accordance with South Park law, if they come right for you you can blow them away.

Please tell me you don't carry.
kzt
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 23 2009, 09:13 PM) *
Please tell me you don't carry.

People who say things like that almost always don't really think that anything bad will ever happen to them, much less trouble themselves with actually taking inconvenient actions to protect themselves.
kzt
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jul 23 2009, 09:09 PM) *
The seretech case was different.
My recollection of the trigger event aggregated over 4 editions was that seretech was transporting toxic waste through an area that had a food supply crisis due to a teamster strike. Rioters thought the truck was food and converged. The guards could have escaped but defended the truck with deadly force.

The seretech defense was based on the need for agents of a corporate (entrusted with toxic waste by the government specifically because of their expertise and understanding of the danger posed by the waste) to be able to act in a manner that was in the best interest of all even if that involved taking extreme actions. Or in other words, we had to kill a few rioters to save the rest of them and anyone else in a 3 mile radius.

No, to quote current NY state law on deadly force (which is among the most restrictive in the country):

"Such conduct is necessary as an emergency measure to avoid an imminent public or private injury which is about to occur by reason of a situation occasioned or developed through no fault of the actor, and which is of such gravity that, according to ordinary standards of intelligence and morality, the desirability and urgency of avoiding such injury clearly outweigh the desirability of avoiding the injury sought to be prevented by the statute defining the offense in issue."

where agents of foreign powers who are legally in a coutry can only be deported for any crimes, excluding those handful like espionage, terrorism, assassination of government officials, etc.

No. Diplomatic Immunity is ABSOLUTE. One of the reasons why the CIA doesn't use undercover intel officers is that a CIA officer under diplomatic cover has diplomatic immunity, unlike a KGB illegal. And as for terrorism or assassination, see the case of the Libyan embassy incident in London when they machineguned an unarmed police woman. The most they can do is deport you if the government in question doesn't waive immunity. Alternately they can choose to commit an act of war by breaching the Vienna Conventions. And a nation has the absolute control over who they allow on their territory with immunity, as everyone with diplomatic immunity has to be formally accepted into a country by the state dept/foreign ministry to have diplomatic immunity and they can refuse anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

Again, the people who wrote the original background didn't have the foggiest idea about what they hell they were writing about and just ignored the way thing actually work instead of figuring out a logical way to get there, as they would have taken work.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (kzt @ Jul 24 2009, 12:06 AM) *
Again, the people who wrote the original background didn't have the foggiest idea about what they hell they were writing about and just ignored the way thing actually work instead of figuring out a logical way to get there, as they would have taken work.

Actually kzt, FASA not only had no clue on what they were doing, they took EVERY cliche and stereotype and ran with it. I mean honestly, why did Mexico go back to being Aztecs? Because of magic? Sorry, Mexico is 76% CATHOLIC, not 76% Aztec! Why would they believe in something that for most is just a page in their history?
Ravor
Although off topic, I have to agree with Critias' concerns over kigmatzomat's firearm theory, although probably for very different reasons, you NEVER, EVER draw your weapon unless you are fully prepared and mentally able to KILL another human being, thinking that merely brandishing your firearm will scare away your attacker might get you killed and provide a criminal with a firearm and "warning shots" are simply dangerous to innocent bystanders.

As for a few things that has crossed my mind over the actual topic at hand in no practicual order;

For the poster who asked whether or not Mages are useful when compared to Sammies, Deckers, and Riggers in the eyes of the anti-NAN people, something that you have to remember is that despite the helping hand the NANs got from a Horror, Big D is on record as being amused and perhaps amazed with the differences between the way metahumans viewed the limitations of Magic in teh Fourth Age as opposed to the Sixth Age, so the NAN did not have access to the same mojo that Shadowrunners do several decades later.

Also the way that spirits work in Fourth Edition is not a retcon, but rather an advancement of the setting, in Third Edition fluff researchers were working on UMT which among other things would allow Shamans to bond Elementals and Mages to summon Nature Spirits.

And as it has been pointed out, Mexicans tend to be staunt Christians, so I very much doubt that any illegal aliens still on American soil after Big A's takeover of Mexico are going to join forces with the NAN, much less actual citizens, and why was one of the most brutal, ruthless, and magically capable Mega willing to let the NAN remain as they are as opposed to expanding Big A's turf?

The more time that passes between the Awakening and the Great Ghost Dance is worse for the NAN Rebels, not better, sure they have more time to pratice their mojo and learn Fourth Age Blood Rituals, but everyone else also have time to figure out that yes, magic is real and here is how it works, when someone is actually able to produce flame from their fingertips or fly on demand people are going to listen and the number of American Mages are going to outnumber the NAN Rebel Shamans hands down, and with the way magic works in the Sixth Age the tribal rituals that has been handed down from days of yore are just as useless/useful as someone's belief in Jedi or the Invisible Noodle Monster.

Machiavelli
Meanwhile the topic has 13 pages and because i am not particularily interested in the situation at all (sometimes even i just accept what fluff-balls they throw at me) i didn´t follow the whole discussion. But there is one thing that hit my mind. The Amerindian populations was quite small at the ghost-dance and i don´t think that it massively exploded since then. Most of the people here are bothered by the idea, that some drum-shakind, feather-wearing redskins overtake the living space of several million americans and get through with it, UNLESS the pinkskins in the meanwhile also have access to this kind of mojo. I basically agree, BUT: we are talking about mojo that is comparable to an arsenal of nuclear weapons. The NAN have this mojo, the UCAS (and probably everybody else) have this mojo, but would YOU risk to check out if they use it again? The NAN have a lot to lose, so i don´t think the wouldn´t use it again. And they have the guts to get killed through the ritual. So i think the NAN is still in existance, because nobody want´s to risk a new war. Don´t forget the current situation in china or korea. Of course our weapons are better and this equals easily their enormous amount in manpower, but they have got nukes, so nobody risks a war.
Ravor
A couple of problems, first the NAN simply could not continue the Great Ghost Dance, that was covered in the fluff in one of the Third Edition books where an Indian whose tribe was native to the East Coast was bitching and was slapped down by someone who claimed to have actually been present at the ritual itself. Now, if we accept the theory that only the NAN got magic instead of following the logic of how the Awakening would have unfolded according to Sixth World Magical Theory than America had no way of knowing that a Second Great Ghost Dance was impossible, BUT the Treaty of Denver was agrueably worse than continuing the war.

Also remember, that even if you believe that a bunch of Indians gathering around what would have had to be a massive camp according to The Great Ghost Dance fluff would have gone unnoticed and thus not nuked, Big A doesn't have that going for them so their cities and lands were a viable target, if for no other reason than to cut off exturnal support for the NAN Rebels.

And never forget, MAD works both ways, the NAN Rebels had just as much if not more to lose than America did by breaking out the WMDs, magical and otherwise.
Machiavelli
How exactly was the explanation for the "second ghostdance doesn´t work"? Seems like i have missed it.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jul 26 2009, 03:04 AM) *
How exactly was the explanation for the "second ghostdance doesn´t work"? Seems like i have missed it.

I think that the GGD was possible because of a mana spike. When the mana flows evened themselves out, the GGD became impossible.
Ravor
Nah, The Great Ghost Dance was so costly in lives and energy that the NAN Rebels simply couldn't "afford" to exend it's effects any longer much less do it again according to the Shadowtalk.

*EDIT*

Also something to consider is that The Great Ghost Dance was massive enough that it created a Mana Spike large enough to form a bridge for the Horrors to cross over early, which was why the NAN were given the ritual in the first place.
Cheops
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jul 23 2009, 05:39 PM) *

Except that for those corrupt guys it is in their best interests to resist the Treaty. 24/100 senators would have directly lost their jobs/gravy trains as a result of this (and I've probably missed 1 or 2 states). Also I can think of at least 2 former Mexican Provinces that would be very worried about a Treaty that gives any power to Aztlan. So you've alreay lost your 2/3 majority in the Senate, which I'm pretty sure you'd need to push this through. I'm also not even sure if the POTUS could use his executive veto to push this through, let alone the former Vice-President having enough political clout to go through with it. This is also not even taking into account the various Governors, Representatives, and State Legislators that would have lost their jobs and possibly their lives for this. Corrupt people tend to unite behind other corrupt, and more ruthless people.

Of course with the addition in the narrative of three little sentences it could have solved all those arguments. "When the Treaty of Denver was tabled before Congress it caused quite the uproar due to its general lack of support. The day before the vote went through a great form spirit, bigger than anything ever seen to that point, manifested in the Senate Chamber and began killing all the most vocal critics of the Treaty. After that it was passed unanimously."

Edit: Definitely missed Alaska, and possibly Hawaii since I don't remember if they got their monarchy back through Denver or not.
kanislatrans
Although not cannon, my short piece entitled "A Question Answered " touches on this premise. It can be found in the knassers viginette thread here on dumpshock. grinbig.gif

(I would link it but the granddaughter is screaming for Cheerios.) twirl.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Cheops @ Jul 26 2009, 11:05 AM) *
Of course with the addition in the narrative of three little sentences it could have solved all those arguments. "When the Treaty of Denver was tabled before Congress it caused quite the uproar due to its general lack of support. The day before the vote went through a great form spirit, bigger than anything ever seen to that point, manifested in the Senate Chamber and began killing all the most vocal critics of the Treaty. After that it was passed unanimously."

Except when that happens, the Senators give in and when the Spirit leaves, the NAN is nuked to hell and gone!

That is one thing to remember, DO NOT kill only some of those in power, the rest will make sure it does NOT happen again by killing EVERYONE and letting God sort it out.
kigmatzomat
For those espousing a righteous crusade to reclaim the NaN lands, (not an unreasonable idea) the timeline does a lot to kick the US while its down.

The US started out in a bad place from vitas 1 before NAN. Afterwards they have to deal with goblinization, race riots, another 10% Vitas die off, a major natural disaster,and a global computer crash.

August 2017 Magic is real
-Crusaders would start magical manhattan project
-begin with no casters, no theory and a pile of money. Not going to be fast. Figure 5-10 years to have something equivalent to the GGD, more to develop a defense.

-Crusaders start quiet military build up for Operation Indian Giver. Kept slow and on down low to prevent any indian "accidents" from happening.

April 2021 - goblinization hits 10% of populace regardless of race, creed, color, or social status. (around 22M in post-NaN US)

-race riots ensue

Summer 2021 - martial law declared for months in US and some concentration camps built to hold "infected".

- production again goes into crapper. One decade was probably enough to rebuild key technical staff levels but now 10% are down for a while as their body mass doubles and then some of the wind up in concentration camps. Plus the martial law means all the national guardsmen are out of the labor pool.

2022 Vitas II kills another 10%. (22 Million) Hello US economic collapse round 2. Between martial law and the concrentration camps, this is about as bad for the economy as VITAS 1.

Combined with the damage from the race riots, I expect the US is economically exhausted for 4-5 years, meaning they get back on their feet in time for:

2028 California earthquake

2029 -NaN open doors for all metahumans (begin exodus of those sent to concentration camps) further kicking US economy

-Computer Crash 1 - destroy economy. Watch as banks lock their doors, air traffic control goes back to paper, and the mail (mostly sorted by computer-driven auto-sorters) piles up.
Grinder
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jul 26 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Also something to consider is that The Great Ghost Dance was massive enough that it created a Mana Spike large enough to form a bridge for the Horrors to cross over early, which was why the NAN were given the ritual in the first place.

Maybe that's the main reason that only one GGD has been made? Sorta like Daniel Coyote and his fellows realized how high the price for a second GGD would be and thus decided not to do it again?
Ravor
I doubt it for a couple of reasons, firstly the NAN would have been given practical magical knowledge as opposed to the theorical knowledge they would need to make that conclusion in part because the Horror wouldn't want them to find out and also because it was more important for the NAN to know how to use magic as a weapon as opposed to understanding how and why things worked.

Secondly, the fluff that talks about The Great Ghost Dance from a supposed eyewitness spells the picture out clearly, the NAN simply did not have the ability to pull it off again because of the cost in lives and energy.

And thirdly, remember that Big A believes/believed that the Horrors were their Gods of old, and they didn't give a frag about fragging up the Astral, possibly forever with theit other projects, including "remapping" the Astral.
Mirilion
Ravor, you're comming up with some pretty extreme stuff. Where is it all written ? I only have the shadowrun 4th core rulebook, and it doesn't say ANYTHING about any horrors. I understood it was left to each GM to determine the reasons behind these events for his own campaign.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Mirilion @ Jul 28 2009, 02:56 AM) *
Ravor, you're comming up with some pretty extreme stuff. Where is it all written ? I only have the shadowrun 4th core rulebook, and it doesn't say ANYTHING about any horrors. I understood it was left to each GM to determine the reasons behind these events for his own campaign.

The information that Ravor is referring to is from earlier source books.
siel
Wouldn't it be best to just think of SR world to be diverging much earlier, so that things like NAN can be possible?

Sure, the country is called USA and it might not have made sense for them to give up territory and allow NAN to become a separate nation and what not. 

However, you are using information about our world to judge a fictional setting that's very similar to our world with an alternate history. It is likely that there are other details that the writers have not mentioned and couldn't possibly have mentioned due to space, understanding, and other factors that go into how such thing is possible.

Sure, they might not come up in your games at all and you might find the whole thing ridiculous, but I think many people do find the existence of NAN as interesting and possibly useful. Unless there's really some fundamental flaws that completely spoil the game, why take it out?

KCKitsune
QUOTE (siel @ Jul 28 2009, 02:37 AM) *
Wouldn't it be best to just think of SR world to be diverging much earlier, so that things like NAN can be possible?

Sure, the country is called USA and it might not have made sense for them to give up territory and allow NAN to become a separate nation and what not. 

However, you are using information about our world to judge a fictional setting that's very similar to our world with an alternate history. It is likely that there are other details that the writers have not mentioned and couldn't possibly have mentioned due to space, understanding, and other factors that go into how such thing is possible.

Sure, they might not come up in your games at all and you might find the whole thing ridiculous, but I think many people do find the existence of NAN as interesting and possibly useful. Unless there's really some fundamental flaws that completely spoil the game, why take it out?

No I find the idea of the NAN to be so repulsive that I can't push the "I BELIEVE!!!!!"™ button at all. I can push it for the megacorps because otherwise the game doesn't exist.

The sad thing is Siel, the NAN and the elven nations don't have to exist at all. The megacorps are all you need because they are what you're going to run against 99% of the time.

The only reason that the NAN exist is because the people at FASA were retarded. They didn't even come up with anything unique because they just took stereotypes and blew them out of proportion. For example, Mexico, would they REALLY have gone back to being Aztecs? They are a country of 76% ROMAN CATHOLICS! I think if you add in the other denominations of Christianity they are like 94+% Christian.
Mirilion
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 28 2009, 09:17 AM) *
The only reason that the NAN exist is because the people at FASA were retarded.

Troll much ?
Also, which previous sourcebooks exactly ?
Synner667
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 28 2009, 09:17 AM) *
No I find the idea of the NAN to be so repulsive that I can't push the "I BELIEVE!!!!!"™ button at all. I can push it for the megacorps because otherwise the game doesn't exist.

The sad thing is Siel, the NAN and the elven nations don't have to exist at all. The megacorps are all you need because they are what you're going to run against 99% of the time.

The only reason that the NAN exist is because the people at FASA were retarded. They didn't even come up with anything unique because they just took stereotypes and blew them out of proportion. For example, Mexico, would they REALLY have gone back to being Aztecs? They are a country of 76% ROMAN CATHOLICS! I think if you add in the other denominations of Christianity they are like 94+% Christian.

What a load of rubbish.

The fact that You think the corps "have to exist" to justify the game kinda ignore that the whole Amerindian sequence "has to exist" for SR to have it's look and feel (now very much in decline)

Though, if you don't know anything about SR before v4, you might not actually know how much the Amerindian look was SR.

Also, it seems very sad that you think only megacorps ever conduct covert ops...
...All those people conducting industrial espionage for all those other companies, and all those Special Ops chaps in the various armed forces, are all irrelevant - to you.

Also, the Aztecs being the dominant religions is probably not through the choice of the people, but what is forced on them - convert or die, makes people convert real quick.
Wiccans and similar went through something similar when the Roamns made Christianity the religion of choice.
siel
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 28 2009, 04:17 AM) *

They don't have to exist at all for a simple cyberpunk setting where runners go against the corp. On the other hand, I think a lot of people enjoy shadowrun because it's not just runners against the corp. I can play in a game dealing with gang wars, corp wars, runner/corp wars, or of course, wars between various nations such as Nan, Tir na Nog, and others.

If you really can't take it and think that they don't have to exist at all.. do so? smile.gif  

On a side note, 94% Christian might not mean much if it's data from our world. Maybe there are fewer believers in Christianity. Maybe a lot of people thought, shit, if there are magic, maybe there aren't gods, especially if the crazy dude doing blood sacrifices can perform miracles and their local priests can't.

Personally, I'm rather fond of Aztechnology. I don't think FASA was wrong there smile.gif

Link
Here are some passages from SR1 (1989) and the Seattle Sourcebook (1990) I've belatedly typed up in response to issues raised throughout this thread and to to protect FASA i.e. the SR founders good name wink.gif
The first addresses the issue of SAIM and NAN's racial composition.
Conservationists and Indian-rights groups expressed their shock and disgust, though corporate influence and paramilitary power made it dangerous to object. Angry and frustrated, the more radical elements founded the Sovereign American Indian Movement (SAIM), whose roots traced back to the Indian-rights struggles of the twentieth century. p13 SR1

Gradually, however, the Salish Shidhe War Council (the confederation of Native American tribes, Elves, and magicians) won the upper hand. Aided by the power of magic and a growing Anglo sympathy movement, the guerrilla war changed to an offensive attack on all fronts. p14 SS

It was the Anglo sympathisers who really lost us the war. I can't tell you how many times we walked right into some ambush set up by civilians. And when they weren’t spying on us and plotting against us, they were often out fighting side by side with the Indians. Hell half the time we were fighting more Anglos than Indians.
Colonel Nemesis. p15 SS

These show SAIM was sort of an anti corp left wing native rights group and the later Salish War Council also had no issues working with non Indians.

This relates to the apparent retcon in the North American sourcebook of the NAN's Anglo purge. The NAN sourcebooks typically give a pop. of 5% of those with absolutely no Indian heritage.
With the Treaty of Denver, the thousands of Anglos living on what was now NAN territory had to give up all land ownership. The Anglos had either to move back within the new US boundaries or remain on NAN land as minority citizens. p15 SS

Based on this I'm wondering if there was a retcon but I need to dig up the NA book to see.
Critias
I see the formation of the NAN, Tir Na Nog (yeah, I'm sure I'm capitalizing it wrong), Azzie turf, the breakdown of Germany, Japanese samurai culture taking dominance, etc, etc...not as "OMG, Fasa were racists and retards, what stereotypes," but rather as (a) "What can we do to set this game apart from a no-magic cyberpunk genre," and (b) "Let's tie ourselves to the magical past by having society, away from megacorps, regress to earlier periods and cultural traditions, perhaps from when magic was around the last time."

It's like the Victorian period's "reclaiming of the past," celebrating the old by revitalizing it with new literary styles.
Ravor
Mirilion most of the things I've raised come from the days when Earthdawn crossovers were being pushed down Shadowrun players throats, if I remember correctly Second Edition was the worst offender so I'd point you in that direction if you want to start your research.

As for the timeline spilt between the real world and Shadowrun, if I remember correctly the divergence happened sometime in the 1970-1980s, so with the notable exception of IEs pissing all over history "real world data" pre-1970s should be a perfectly valid place to start and then any changes still has to pass the "smell test".

Although I am mildly curious why people think the devs would even pretend that the Sixth World was an alternate Earth and then change and throw out all sorts of numbers and historic facts without bothering to tell us about the differences.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 28 2009, 10:41 AM) *
I see the formation of the NAN, Tir Na Nog (yeah, I'm sure I'm capitalizing it wrong), Azzie turf, the breakdown of Germany, Japanese samurai culture taking dominance, etc, etc...not as "OMG, Fasa were racists and retards, what stereotypes," but rather as (a) "What can we do to set this game apart from a no-magic cyberpunk genre," and (b) "Let's tie ourselves to the magical past by having society, away from megacorps, regress to earlier periods and cultural traditions, perhaps from when magic was around the last time."

It's like the Victorian period's "reclaiming of the past," celebrating the old by revitalizing it with new literary styles.

Except FASA were retards because, for example, they took the Mexicans and turned them into Aztecs. Yeah, yeah, I know "Magic Works and therefore only the Aztec medicine men had Uber-Power™"... which is bullshit because what about all those Catholic Priests that were praying and praying and their belief in Higher Powers did nothing for them.

Magic is magic and the Aztec shamans were just as surprised as everyone else when their magic worked. FASA had that they were able to take over Mexico? Yup FASA were a bunch of fraktards.
Ravor
Well to be fair to the devs, the NAN and by extention Big A did have a hand up from a Horror and Blood Magic is pretty effective which is something that I don't see very many Priests being willing to use.

Not that it invalidates your larger point of course.
Critias
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 28 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Except FASA were retards because, for example, they took the Mexicans and turned them into Aztecs. Yeah, yeah, I know "Magic Works and therefore only the Aztec medicine men had Uber-Power™"... which is bullshit because what about all those Catholic Priests that were praying and praying and their belief in Higher Powers did nothing for them.

Magic is magic and the Aztec shamans were just as surprised as everyone else when their magic worked. FASA had that they were able to take over Mexico? Yup FASA were a bunch of fraktards.

So who's more retarded? The retards who wrote something you don't like, or you for spending money on it and bitching about how stupid it is, twenty years later?
Ravor
I might be inclined to agree with you Critias IF the devs have not shown that they are willing to retcon things and IF I felt that the written history was something that couldn't be stripped form Shadowrun without rendering it useless as a whole.
Megu
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 28 2009, 09:41 AM) *

This is exactly the way I view this. I really wish I could have expressed it as well, Critias.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 28 2009, 06:26 PM) *
So who's more retarded? The retards who wrote something you don't like, or you for spending money on it and bitching about how stupid it is, twenty years later?

Who said I spent money on this? I can go down to the local B&N and read the source books all day long. I did spend money on Shadowrun because I like the game system. It's clean and there is balance between the different "classes" of characters. Yeah, you can be a shit hot spell slinger, but you're a bit squishy. On the other hand, you can you can be cybered to the max and kick a lot of ass, but you don't have any magic.

The fluff on NAN and Aztecs... I don't like because it doesn't make sense. That is my problem with it. The logic around it is so inane that I just can't accept it.

QUOTE (Synner667 @ Jul 28 2009, 04:52 AM) *
The fact that You think the corps "have to exist" to justify the game kinda ignore that the whole Amerindian sequence "has to exist" for SR to have it's look and feel (now very much in decline)

Also, it seems very sad that you think only megacorps ever conduct covert ops...

...All those people conducting industrial espionage for all those other companies, and all those Special Ops chaps in the various armed forces, are all irrelevant - to you.

The reason I said what I said is that "SpecOps chaps" are not freelancers, they go where they are told to and do what they are told. They have no "freedom" to do what they want. They don't like a job, they can't just walk away. That to me limits the types of games that you can run.

QUOTE (Synner667 @ Jul 28 2009, 04:52 AM) *
Also, the Aztecs being the dominant religions is probably not through the choice of the people, but what is forced on them - convert or die, makes people convert real quick. Wiccans and similar went through something similar when the Roamns made Christianity the religion of choice.

Except those Wiccans could run. In Mexico, the Aztecs are outnumbered many times to one. The tiny number of spell slingers don't take over rest because they are only human.

Let's look at it another way: sure you are a Big Bad Ass Mojo Slinger™, but if you get poisoned then you are dead. Remember this is a game of "glass cannons" No matter how tough you are you can be splattered with a lucky shot.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jul 28 2009, 04:29 PM) *
I might be inclined to agree with you Critias IF the devs have not shown that they are willing to retcon things and IF I felt that the written history was something that couldn't be stripped form Shadowrun without rendering it useless as a whole.

Except that even in the real world, History gets re-written from time to time... don't look on it as a retcon, view it as a revision of history by those who dislike that historical outcome and are attempting to rewrite it over time...

It still does not invalidate the original historical significance of the events that occurred, it just dilutes them so that they are palatable to others...
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 28 2009, 09:44 PM) *
Except that even in the real world, History gets re-written from time to time... don't look on it as a retcon, view it as a revision of history by those who dislike that historical outcome and are attempting to rewrite it over time...

It still does not invalidate the original historical significance of the events that occurred, it just dilutes them so that they are palatable to others...

Examples please. I know that scientific theory gets re-written when new discoveries are made, but history... I would want an example.
Critias
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 28 2009, 11:07 PM) *
Examples please. I know that scientific theory gets re-written when new discoveries are made, but history... I would want an example.

Read a history book written in New York City in 2009, and compare it's coverage of America in the 1800's to, say, a history book written in Atlanta in 1909.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012