Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NAN Fading
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Ravor
QUOTE (Malachi @ Jul 9 2009, 12:30 PM) *
Are you saying that the Great Ghost Dance shouldn't have happened since its not possible using the SR4 rules?

No, I have no problem with The Great Ghost Dance, and I would argue that the theory for it is entirely possible within the framework of the rules, especially since Street Magic. All-in-all The Great Ghost Dance really isn't that impressive, they were able to make a few volcanoes blow their tops and change some weather patterns.

What I have a problem with is the idea that somehow the NAN Rebels were all super Mages who were able to summon entire swarms of Spirits that were powerful enough that military weaponary was helpless against them, or that they could cloak entire armies with their mojo and thus were able to bitch slap Uncle Sam.

*EDIT*

Also something that I have been forgetting to mention about The Great Ghost Dance, the ritual was so costly in lives that the NAN simply could not continue, thus tying up and draining the relatively pitiful magical might of the NAN Rebels.
kzt
I can't remember. I know it was something totally insane about Japan. I closed the book (as I was reading it in a restaurant) and never opened it again.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jul 9 2009, 04:35 PM) *
No, I have no problem with The Great Ghost Dance, and I would argue that the framework for it is entirely possible within the framework of the rules, especially since Street Magic. All-in-all The Great Ghost Dance really isn't that impressive, they were able to make a few volcanoes blow their tops and change some weather patterns.

What I have a problem with is the idea that somehow the NAN Rebels were all super Mages who were able to summon entire swarms of Spirits that were powerful enough that military weaponary was helpless against them, or that they could cloak entire armies with their mojo and thus were able to bitch slap Uncle Sam.

You know, I have mostly stayed out of this piece of the thread (I originally started), but at this point I need to put my two centinuyen in. I think that the GGD was essentially made as powerful as it was by the sheer NUMBER of participants, with a small handfull of "super" mages guiding the targeting, but thousands of dancers contributing to the "great ritual". That would address most of your objections, I think. And as to the power of some of the people, remember what it said in earlier editions: "Suddenly the old rites and rituals actually started to WORK" - many traditional peoples had faithfully passed down the exact rituals throughout time to their decendants, and that meant once the mana began to rise, the rituals had something to channel. (The flip side was that a lot of "sorcerers" were revealed as complete frauds.)

Make sense?
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 9 2009, 02:42 PM) *
And when you're judging whether the capitulation of the USA government to their demands is realistic, don't just consider that the USA was battered by crashes, plagues and economic turmoil, remember particularly that unlike other wars the USA has been involved in, this one put the leaders at risk. They faced an enemy that could breach all of their security and which had demonstrated that they couldn't fight back. George W. Bush and Tony Blair might have casually sent thousands to die, but can you imagine either of them being so sanctimonious about the need to "fight terror" if their enemy could get to them personally? Not likely. There's a different standard applied when the leaders themselves are in danger. mad.gif

Right except that doesn't mean crap to anyone west of Nebraska that looses the war. 180 MILLION displaced people, say it with me, say it with feeling. Half the nation having to up and move to support the threats and demands of .009 percent of the ethnicly seperated population. 180 million people of all races, creeds, and colors that now need to give up their land, that couple with the uncharacteristicly high gun to populace ratio of the US means the government likely couldn't have quit the war even if they want to. There is nothing to gain for the US out of the treaty of denver and everythign to loose. That's why it doesn't make sense.
Ravor
I think you are misunderstanding the point I am trying to make, The Great Ghost Dance was basically a magical nuke that the NAN wasted in a display of power when they made a couple of volcanoes blow their tops and created some freaky weather. The Great Ghost Dance DID NOT summon swarms of spirits that were capable of fighting military grade weapons nor did it cloak the NAN Rebels. For that you need to have "Super Shamans" whose powers are still unmatched by Mages almost a century later.

And remember, the way magic works in the Sixth World, the "rites and rituals" that tribal people have passed down from old are worthless by themselves, they started working because less than one in a hundred people had the ability to channel Mana to fuel their BELIEF in the old rites and rituals.

TheForgotten
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 9 2009, 03:17 AM) *
Disclamer: I will not now nor will I ever justify forced relocation of any peoples. Having said that there is a fair cry difference between the relocation of less then .01 percent of the populace of a nation (extrapolated from current US census figures) to the forced relocation of 50% of the nations population. It doesn't make any sense for a nation to succeed their arsenal or their land with that big of a population difference even with magic involved. To put in perspective even if tommorow the entire US population of Native American ancestry (of which I am one by the way before anyone gets too bent out of shape) showed up to fight the federal government they would still only have comporable numbers to the current standing military personnel. But even if we allowed that they have all this territory and nowhere near the population to utilize or hold it. With magic slipping closer to equality and fractures among the NAN it is actually extremely suprising to me that the UCAS never tried to even the score.

But that's never even going into why are nations still existing with so many of their population bases identifying as extraterritoriality based corps and corporate citizens not paying taxes.

I think we're overlooking a fact, the countryside awakened. If you got a juggernaut going down main street, maybe relocation to more settled areas makes sense.
Ravor
Not really because the Awakening was happening world wide, not just in the Western United States, there was no safe place to relocate and the magical critters really wouldn't care what someone's ethically is.
Mirilion
The shadowrun storyline is most emphatically NOT silly. It's fictional. There's a difference. You may like it, or you may not.

A lot of events in human history seem normal, but are actually out of place when viewed with any historical or social understaning. Jews with a state they see as their own, for example.
A lot of countries are a lot less populous than their size may indicate, being almost totally wilderness. Israel has a larger population than Finalnd, for example.

The jews "returned" to a country they considered their homeland after nineteen centuries, long after their enemy had vanished (the roman empire). They repeatedly defeated enemies much, much larger in numbers. Admittedly, they recieved help (weapons and armor from france, I think, but not men). The main reason for victory was the quality of the fighting force. Israel had better tactics and strategies, while the arab armies were very corrupt and unprepared, led by megalomanicas. Sounds familiar ?
I think the native americans of the early sixth world, cornered, armed with terrifying new powers, led by charismatic and bright leaders, can stand up to their huge, corrupt, crumbling enemy after mererly three centuries. What strains believability is the massive relocation, not the victory itself. As I understand it, all the native americans together can barely fill one medium sized metroplex.

Also, this fits perfectly into the cyberpunk theme of large governments breaking down, with megacorps filling the gaps.

About the nuclear bomb thing, the US at the time had nothing comparable to the great ghost dance. They couldn't just randomely nuke places on american soil, hoping that they'll hit the rebels, and they had no large-scale
magic to oppose the dance. Plus, the natives had excellent "public relations". Four volcanoes cataclismically exploding at once ? OH CRAP. yes.
NEVER, NEVER allow game rules to control your game's background, by the way. Game rules should be flexible enough to fit the game world, and not the other way around.

One more thing. Again, comparing the 1940's jews to sixth world native americans. Almost every israeli guy or girl can pick up an M16A2 and start shooting with little hesitation (even me, and I'm a massive geek). Girls get to shoot uzis too, even the ones who spend their service making coffee and getting harrassed by high ranking officers. When almost ALL your population are combatants to some degree (like in the great ghost dance), you have a huge advantage over mostly urban, "normal" folk who were taught non-violence from childhood.

kzt
QUOTE (Mirilion @ Jul 9 2009, 03:01 PM) *
The shadowrun storyline is most emphatically NOT silly. It's fictional. There's a difference. You may like it, or you may not.

No, you can have silly fiction. That is why being a successful fiction writer is HARD. Among a lot of other things, you need to come up with a story that doesn't make the reader go "This is silly/stupid/crazy/pointless". The NAN doesn't pass that test.
Mirilion
Yes it does. It's not silly. It didn't make me go "whatever". The NAN passed the test.

It's in the eye of the beholder, and the beholder is pointing it's disintegrating eye ray at you RIGHT NOW.

Malachi
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 9 2009, 03:45 PM) *
180 MILLION displaced people, say it with me, say it with feeling.

Is that a number you're getting from a book somewhere, or are you just grabbing the non-Native population of the US? I believe the Ute nation was the only one that really shipped pretty much every non-native out of their territory. Otherwise, I think the other NAN (especially open-minded ones like Pueblo or the Salish-Shidhe) were pretty "flexible" with the "Indians" they let live in their territory. As long as someone agreed with their philosophies and accepted their rule you could stay. Also keep in mind that the fluff also talks about a good chunk of all the early metahumans moving into NAN lands because they felt more accepted there.
Cheops
I don't know. I've met a decent amount of Americans who would just start firing at the Indians if they tried to kick them out. Hell I know an american who started firing warning shots because people were on his property. To say that Americans wouldn't fight to protect "their" land is a pretty big stretch.

Also, there's a huge difference between the rise of Israel and the decline of the US in SR. The reason Palestine was ripe to fall was because the Palestinians had just had a major uprising against the British colonial masters. And had been put down. Hard to fight a war when a good portion of your leadership is gone along with most of your, you know, weapons.

Instead we have the reverse situation in SR. A small portion of the population, that had just had its weapons and leadership taken away, its people imprisoned overthrowing a largely cohesive, functional government. And not a transitional, the British are gone who's in charge, government. A well established 2.5 century old institution.

Put me in the makes no sense camp.
Mirilion
QUOTE (Cheops @ Jul 10 2009, 12:13 AM) *
I don't know. I've met a decent amount of Americans who would just start firing at the Indians if they tried to kick them out. Hell I know an american who started firing warning shots because people were on his property. To say that Americans wouldn't fight to protect "their" land is a pretty big stretch.

Also, there's a huge difference between the rise of Israel and the decline of the US in SR. The reason Palestine was ripe to fall was because the Palestinians had just had a major uprising against the British colonial masters. And had been put down. Hard to fight a war when a good portion of your leadership is gone along with most of your, you know, weapons.

Instead we have the reverse situation in SR. A small portion of the population, that had just had its weapons and leadership taken away, its people imprisoned overthrowing a largely cohesive, functional government. And not a transitional, the British are gone who's in charge, government. A well established 2.5 century old institution.

Put me in the makes no sense camp.

Israel's war of independance was not against the "palestinians" (they weren't calling themselves that back then), but against Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq, plus the native arab tribes. The Jordan legions were brittish-trained and equipped, and were considered the best army of the middle-east.

Anyway, your other points are valid and need addressing. Since I support the official history (I'm geeky that way, I support official histories) I will try to address them in a way that will make the rise of the NAN seem logical. I agree that very specific social and political conditions had to exist in order for the natives to succeed, in addition to the shadowrun convention of magical traditions surviving from the ancient magical times.
Malokei
wait, what are horrors? I still haven't been able to figure that out and I know quite a few of the more experienced players keep making mention of that. Though at present I can't find anything in or on the shadowrun wiki about it.
Mirilion
Creatures that aren't very nice. Each horror is unique, with a unique form and level of existance (purely astral, dual, or purely physical). They feed on metahumanity in some fashion (feeds on flesh - gobbles you up, feeds on fear - scares you silly, feeds on eyesight - makes you blind). Each has unique powers, and some may be seriously weird (such as turning things into metallic mazes full of traps. When you get hurt by a trap. a little bit of your life is drained). In the earthdawn setting in which they were introduced, they were the cause of the fall of civilization, during a high-mana period. These are not meant to be simple monsters, but serious opponents with inhuman objectives and way of thinking. Cthulhu comes to mind.

Anyway, there's an earthdawn sourcebook devoted to them called "Horrors". In a similar way to Jackpoint and Shadowland chat, a lot of the book is a scroll written by a sage asked by his king to detail the horrors. He adds personal opinions and transcripts of discussions with horror survivors.
Malokei
Gotcha! But where can I find 'Horrors' in shadowland? Obviously not 4.0. And I can't find any instance of them except for maybe threats 2.0 and System Failure with that one terrorist group. Either way it peaks my interest. Could you please share your knowledge with me on that in PM?
KCKitsune
I would like to know why nuclear weapons would not work? I mean out of all the laws of nature that nuclear fission was one that went "Hey guys, I have decided to take a vacation!"

Also, what was to stop all the displaced people from going back in when the magic stabilized? I mean yeah, the GGD was major mojo, but it was not permanent, and if I remember correctly, didn't a large number of the Dancers die at the end? In the end, the Natams might have pushed them out, but then the anglos would have gone back in and killed them all. Every single natam would have died... it would have made the Holocaust look like a Sunday School Picnic.

Slightly OT, but why did the CSA split off from the UCAS? I mean honestly, why? What bit of frakking stupidity was that? Some of the MOST loyal Americans are from the South.

Also why did the Mexicans all decide to go back to being Aztecs... one of the greatest concentrations of Christianity is in Latin America.

--------------------------------------------

@Mirilion: the background fluff of Shadowrun is VERY stupid! The game system is nice... the fluff is stupid.
Naysayer
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 10 2009, 06:14 AM) *
Slightly OT, but why did the CSA split off from the UCAS? I mean honestly, why? What bit of frakking stupidity was that? Some of the MOST loyal Americans are from the South.

Exactly. That's why they couldn't handle the "stupidity" of DeeCee handing over the country to a bunch a' injuns, and left in a huff.
Personally, I get the feeling that the CAS storyline is much less sensical and coherent than the NAN one.
Discuss!
Adarael
I agree. But this is entirely due to California being my home state.
knasser

They way I see it, fight for who? The government of the USA at the time was hopelessly corrupt, in debt, oppressive (they were rounding people up into camps) must have appeared to handle a series of disasters tremendously badly (VITAS, the Crash). And they were auctioning off land to foreign corporations! If you want the revolution to be realistic and fit it with cannon, then just decide that the general mass of people were about ready for a revolution anyway. Americans used to be good at that, I'm sure that it's still in the blood somewhere. wink.gif So to the people, a leadership comes along that has the power and the motivation to fight back against the government and a philosophy of independence, renewal of the land and better living. Why shouldn't that strike a chord with people? So long as the leaders of the movement were willing to extend their culture and acceptance to non-Native Americans (and it doesn't make sense not to), then the whole thing can work.

Instead we have the reverse situation in SR. A small portion of the population, that had just had its weapons and leadership taken away, its people imprisoned overthrowing a largely cohesive, functional government.

This is where we differ. The population is largely disaffected and disenfranchised by a corrupt and corporate controlled government. Also, the point is that the US government couldn#t strike back at Danial's people. Magic was a game changer and for a little, critically important while, Danial's shamans got there first and were the only ones able to play it. Think what a Force 5 Fire Elemental can do to undefended military forces. Here come thirty helicopter gunships (that's a big force of helicopters, incidentally). First combat turn, spirit manifests inside one and burns the crew to death. Third combat turn, the spirit is doing it in another helicopter. Ninety combat turns later (four and a half-minutes), you have thirty helicopters scattered and smashed across the countryside. You can't outfly a spirit that travels through the Astral. The President is sitting with his Chiefs of Staff trying to co-ordinate their defense. But there is constantly some grotesque little Indian spirit sitting there listening to everything they say, they shoot it, they curse it, they swipe at it with broom handles, but it can't be shaken off the President (it's a manifested Watcher spirit). And the Defense Secretary has one too. A shaman, invisible, levitating, drifts into army HQ. The general has no counterspelling. He's assassinated. Or Mind Controlled to give bad / self-destructive orders. Coyote had Great Form spirits before most people even understood how to summon regular ones. He could cause Earth Tremors and Storms. And this isn't even considering how magic could be used in conjunction with regular technology. That same invisible, levitating mage, or else a mob of spirits could steal whatever supplies they wanted from the USA's own military. What could they do with a ready supply of military-grade explosives / weapons and the means to invisibly plant them wherever they chose? And with spirits you have suicide attackers who can commit suicide again, and again, and again and again.

The the USA today can't really fully defend itself against foreign terrorist action with mundane technology. Imagine what the situation would be against a domestic force that had a lot more support and access to magic.

But as I said before, one of the biggest differences is that unlike most wars the USA has launched, this one would be personal to the leaders and the people. When Bush and Blair sent thousands to die in Iraq, they did it knowing that it wasn't them that would be getting shot at. They could just look sad and say how freedom demands sacrifices, knowing full well that the sacrifice wouldn't be themselves or their families and friends. I don't think that the same pious bravery would be shown if it were.

So that's that for the USA's government and military as far as I'm concerned. A population that despises them for the corrupt regime that they were and a charismatic group of freedom fighters that the US government couldn't find or stop.

The migrations I agree would be silly. But I'd be interested to know what the source material actually says. There's nothing in the history section in 4th Edition that talks about mass-migrations, just a change in control. Can somebody give us our reference so we can see what we're actually looking at, before we start arguing about it? smile.gif

K.
Ravor
Mirilion have you ever actually been on an Indian Rez? And I don't mean the nice tourist traps next to the major roads, I'm talking about the actual rez itself. I ask because the very idea of comparing ~1980s style Indians to Israel is simply nonsense at best.
knasser
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 10 2009, 05:14 AM) *
I would like to know why nuclear weapons would not work?

If they'd known where to point them, sniper rifles would have worked. The problem is they didn't. Nuclear weapons are only useful for threatening large, immobile foreign powers. The sort that you can say: "withdraw your army from area X or we will kill lots of your people." They're useless against the guy living in down the block that might blow up City Hall but you don't know about him. Also, the big thing about nuclear weapons is that you don't want to use them near yourself. Both for the devastation that they cause and for the reason that the populace gets to see what war is like up close. The UK and the USA have fought their recent wars by hiding the body bags flown back home. Harder to do when you can see the mass sick and dying by driving to the nearby town.
Ravor
And I say bah, sure the military might not have been able to find a huge ritual circle and a gathering of dancers out in the open and send a missile to take care of it but they sure as hell could shoot the NAN Rebels, at less than 1% of Shamans with an average ( Magic 3 ) you simply could not summon enough spirits to win the war.
knasser
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jul 10 2009, 07:48 AM) *
And I say bah, sure the military might not have been able to find a huge ritual circle and a gathering of dancers out in the open and send a missile to take care of it but they sure as hell could shoot the NAN Rebels, at less than 1% of Shamans with an average ( Magic 3 ) you simply could not summon enough spirits to win the war.

I just demonstrated a Force 5 Fire spirit bringing down thirty helicopter gunships in under five minutes. I just demonstrated the ability to obtain whatever military supplies are needed. I just demonstrated the ability to plant high-grade bombs anywhere in the US. I just demonstrated the ability to eavesdrop on every discussion the US leaders have. I just demonstrated the ability to take down any military unit anytime, anywhere. If Danial Howling Coyote was clever (and even if he isn't, he was assisted by Ehran wasn't he? Who is three times more devious than the most evil player any GM has ever faced across his screen), then the NAN probably had ritual samples of various notable figures in advance. If they really want to demonstrate their complete dominance, they announce loudly that they will kill the US Secretary of Defense (or whoever) by 3:00pm tomorrow. No matter where the US government hides him or how they try to protect him, he will be dead. That sends a powerful message to people: If the US government can't protect its own with all that warning and with everything in their power, then they are outmatched.

Give me the resources, expertise and knowledge that Danial Howling Coyote had, in the plague-struck, economically messed up USA of SR Cannon, and I could pull off stunts that would scare the government witless. With someone like Ehran as your PR advisor (Ehran is one of the most astute, political masterminds in the setting), then I think the NAN can be pulled off as believable.

The people saying that sudden mass-migrations are unrealistic have a point. not only because of the lack of will on the part of the people to comply, but the logistical unfeasibility of it even if they had been willing. But I don't bother with that in my game. I say that the NAN uprising actually had a fair amount of popular support. Which is why I asked if anyone had the cannon references to mass-migrations. They're not in any 4th Ed. material and I don't have all the material from previous editions. But I don't remember explicit statements of millions of non-Native Americans migrating (to where?). Maybe in first edition, in which case I agree with some subtle ret-conning. But I'd still like to see what the material actually says.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 10 2009, 02:30 AM) *
If they'd known where to point them, sniper rifles would have worked. The problem is they didn't. Nuclear weapons are only useful for threatening large, immobile foreign powers. The sort that you can say: "withdraw your army from area X or we will kill lots of your people." They're useless against the guy living in down the block that might blow up City Hall but you don't know about him. Also, the big thing about nuclear weapons is that you don't want to use them near yourself. Both for the devastation that they cause and for the reason that the populace gets to see what war is like up close. The UK and the USA have fought their recent wars by hiding the body bags flown back home. Harder to do when you can see the mass sick and dying by driving to the nearby town.

OK, what about FAE and MOABs? Small Nuke level firepower, no radiation. Also, if push came to shove, then nuke 'em and let God sort it out. Also with one of the US's nukes, the fallout isn't too bad. If the natams were making volcanoes go off, then obviously they're using a "Weapon of Mass Destruction" therefore a nuke is a viable option.

Also in your previous post... I call bovine excrement. Sure the government might have been corrupt, but we do vote and if the people were that pissed off... goodbye re-election. I mean look at the US right now. Obama, who many think can walk on water, heal the sick, and save the world now has a greater disapproval rating than a positive approval rating. In the age of the Internet, information is getting out to the people faster than the politicians would like. They don't have a chance to spin it their way.
knasser
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 10 2009, 08:28 AM) *
OK, what about FAE and MOABs? Small Nuke level firepower, no radiation. Also, if push came to shove, then nuke 'em and let God sort it out. Also with one of the US's nukes, the fallout isn't too bad. If the natams were making volcanoes go off, then obviously they're using a "Weapon of Mass Destruction" therefore a nuke is a viable option.

Again, it's about where you point the weapons. As I said: A sniper rifle would be sufficient if the government had known where their enemies were. But they didn't. The "let God sort it out" is a calamitous idea. Firstly, you have no idea where you should be aiming your weapons, and secondly, all you're doing is increasing support for Howling Coyote's faction. Honestly, if I were his PR man, I would have a field day with that. "People - Yesterday four-thousand of you died at the hands of your own government. Your Secretary of Defence said before the bombing commenced: 'Let God sort them out.' The time has come, people of all ethnicities and factions - join us against this monstrous regime!""

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 10 2009, 08:28 AM) *
Also in your previous post... I call bovine excrement. Sure the government might have been corrupt, but we do vote and if the people were that pissed off... goodbye re-election. I mean look at the US right now. Obama, who many think can walk on water, heal the sick, and save the world now has a greater disapproval rating than a positive approval rating. In the age of the Internet, information is getting out to the people faster than the politicians would like. They don't have a chance to spin it their way.

Let's see. A few years earlier, a plague had wiped out tens of millions. For the last decade, the government had been handing out its sovereign territory to foreign owned corporations, four years earlier, a dragon had been interviewed on international television and the government was rounding up people as "terrorists" and dumping them in interment camps. The SR world branched from ours in around the 1990's (earlier in some ways, but for political purposes, the 1990s). It's not our world. I can well see people feeling after twenty-four years of this sort of treatment, that something a bit more radical than voting was required.

It can certainly be made plausible in SR cannon, I feel.

Peace,

K.
Naysayer
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 10 2009, 09:28 AM) *

Emphasis mine.

a) It is an intrinsic trope of cyberpunk and dystopian fiction that no, they don't, and even if they do, it changes big fat nothing.

b) It wasn't. The "internet" that we know never got invented. What did get invented were clunky full-VR immersion devices, making acces to sensitive information a privilege of the powerful, and a few highly skilled intrepid rebels. Again, cyberpunk.
Vermithrax
SR1 p.15
SR2 p.24
NAN vol.2 p.59
SR3 p.27

1st and 2nd editions under "Treaty of Denver" stated that there was to be a 10 year plan to remove all non-natives from NAN controlled territories.
Native American Nations vol 2 added a section to the treaty of denver saying reservations were put aside for non-natives.
3rd edition also added a section saying reservations were put aside for non-natives.

There may be more out there, but I don't have all the books.
Mirilion
The native americans are a bit less motivated than Israelis were at the 1940's. I shudder to think about what will happen if they suddenly got motivated, very motivated. I can compare between the two all I want, by the way. It will help if you actually explain explicitly rather than insinuating. I have no idea what conditions the reserves are in, not being american.
knasser
QUOTE (Vermithrax @ Jul 10 2009, 09:27 AM) *
SR1 p.15
SR2 p.24
NAN vol.2 p.59
SR3 p.27

1st and 2nd editions under "Treaty of Denver" stated that there was to be a 10 year plan to remove all non-natives from NAN controlled territories.
Native American Nations vol 2 added a section to the treaty of denver saying reservations were put aside for non-natives.
3rd edition also added a section saying reservations were put aside for non-natives.

There may be more out there, but I don't have all the books.

Thanks. In that case, it's time for me to discard parts of earlier editions. I suspect the developers are quietly doing the same. The collapse of the USA and the rise of the NAN I can pull off believably. Sufficiently for most purposes, anyway. The fragmentation of it all into arbitrary "tribes" is the silliest part to me. But the massive migrations and world's fastest birth rate of native americans isn't something I think I can work with.

@Mirillion: One very large factor I see as a difference between Israel (and this is the only thing I'm going to say on the subject as its a subject that I don't think I can avoid getting very personal about), is that of outside support. Israel had and has the backing of the world's most armed nation. I see no outside support for the Native Americans (though as demonstrated, they don't need it with near exclusive control of magic).

K.
Vermithrax
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 10 2009, 04:17 AM) *
I see no outside support for the Native Americans

IIRC the early NAN had backing from Mexico. Lemme check my books...

Ok, 1st ed, 2nd ed, and NAN v2 had Mexico aiding US and Canadian forces during the early skirmishes but later took a Neutral stance along with Canada when it came to Genocide.
3rd ed has Mexico (Aztlan) providing assistance and safe havens to NAN forces.

Hmm, looks like history has been slowly retconned as new editions were published. Probably to help make things a tad more believable.
Mirilion
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 10 2009, 09:17 AM) *
@Mirillion: One very large factor I see as a difference between Israel (and this is the only thing I'm going to say on the subject as its a subject that I don't think I can avoid getting very personal about), is that of outside support. Israel had and has the backing of the world's most armed nation. I see no outside support for the Native Americans (though as demonstrated, they don't need it with near exclusive control of magic).
K.

What's with all the insinuations ? Do you mean the US ? Russian eqipment came through by the czech republic, and no outside assistance other than equipment. Also the equipment came very much at the last moment, requiring some extreme negotiations. Still, the enemies had much larger air, armor and infantry units.
No assistance came from the US, not during the war of independance. And you can badmouth Israel all you want, I totally hate the state myself. I just think that the first generation were badasses. I mention this becasue Ravor commented on the assitance the natives had from horrors and immortal elves (sounds a bit like soviet russia)
Ravor
Why of course you can compare the two all you want, just as I could in theory compare gobal climate change to the price of tea in China, doesn't make the comparison any less foolish though.

However since you aren't American I'll explain a few things, firstly the idea that the Indian population is made up of fit young warriors just waiting for the right leader to give them an excuse to go to war against the great white devils is a figment of popular imagination, and although I'm sure that there are plently of exceptions, the rezs are home to some of the poorest parts of the nation.

All-in-all if you really want to compare the Indian tribes to a group of people in the Middle East, it would be more fitting to compare them to the Palastians, although of course due to a general lack of haterd towards the people who annexed their lands it is a rather poor fit.
Ravor
Mirilion kindly do not put words into my mouth, the NAN Rebels were taught the secret of the Great Ghost Dance by an entity from the Fourth World that happened to be the spawn of a Horror and an Immortal Elf Queen, there was no hidden polictical insinuation or comparsion to any real world situation on my part and I really, really doubt that the devs had one either.

knasser of course spirits are a powerful weapon, BUT when less than one in a hundred people in what is a very, very small population to start with is even capable of trying to summon a spirit in the first place the rarity of them isn't going to win a war any more than smart bombs are capable of. And that is assuming that the Horror Spawn taught every last NAN Mage summoning.
Mirilion
Ravor sorry I didn't mean insinuation like that, I just meant that you didn't say things clearly (an entity that was a spawn of a horror and an immortal elf queen), like you said just now. Must look for another word.

As an Israeli I boldly say that the differences between Israelis and Palestinians are mainly cosmetic, and that's what makes the conflict so intense. I hate everyone equally. I compared the native americans to the first generation, not to Israel right now. Seriously, if David Ben Gurion (first Israeli leader) was alive right now, he'd hide somewhere in shame and rage just like Daniel. This is some serious topic drift though, and I believe I said everything I have to say on the matter.
Ravor
No worries, sometimes I forget to make things as clear as I should. If you ever make it out to Northeastern Wyoming give me a shout and I'll buy you a beer.
Alexand
Shadows of North America specifically retconned the "indians kick all the anglos out" problem because I do not doubt they realized it was silly.

According to current SR cannon (since the Shadows of books are the most recent settings published) the NAN states incorporated wholesale anyone who wanted to stay and agreed to follow the rules. NAN then went 'your all indians too' to them, and pulled in metahumans who were being oppressed (in fact Ehran and the elves specifically make use of this absorption to create Tir Tairngire, first by 'allowing' themselves to be absorbed into the Salish Council, and then
splitting off into Tir.

So the cannon (at least current) shoots down the 'they can't force em out' problem quite purposefully. Pre-SoNA, YES it was stupid. But they said in SoNA that NAN1 & NAN2 were written specifically as propaganda aids (yes the fluff debunks the earlier books as a method of retcon, rather smart way of doing I think) written by the NAN governments themselves to make themselves sound more 'pure'. Gee that doesn't sound like a futuristic dystopian government at ALL twirl.gif

Also, knasser had it completely right about NAN magic vs. Conventional military. In addition to invisible commando teams, Spirits ripping apart tank divisions without problem, and etc. It used to specifically mention that the GGD was used to summon truly massive storms. Like bigger than Katrina size. Anyone who thinks the US military is even remotely prepared to handle that has not been paying attention to the last decade, and has likely a rather weak grasp of physics. People do not take on state sized storm systems and win. It's like trying to shoot the wind out of the sky (which likely they tried at least once, but you can guess how that went)

The US had zero magic capability at the time. None. The hermetics were still screaming "hey our stuff works now!" and no one was listening cause the roof was caving in, and this big rock guy at the door won't go away.

As for 'the south' being the most loyal americans rotfl.gif wobble.gif spin.gif

Have you not watched the news? The governors of both South Carolina & Texas both openly talked about succession just because they didn't like how the election turned out. That's Loyalty right there! and I'm from the south. CAS is TOTALLY believable to me since, I run into real people all the time who'd love for that sort of thing to happen in RL. I think they're completely nuts, but they are hardly a few dudes in a nuthouse. They have their own policlub-like groups right here in the real world. Heck I can even get their fraggin newsletter. Do not believe all that is on FOX, learn from SR, they lie to you (as does most news agencies, not just FOX. Truth does not make for good ratings, or fat payoffs).

NAN is belivable to me. When the world blows up, and you don't know if your whole family might all be dead tonight a lot of things become resonable sounding that weren't so a few days before. Look at any massive disaster in the history of ever.

My 2 nuyen.gif

Besides, if the ditch NAN cause magically formed nations created by paranoid vast conspiracies are silly, we go the whole slippery route of slowing sanitizing all the fantasy elements from SR. In which case, go play the game that doesn't have an ELF on the cover. cyber.gif That's not a game I'm interested in.
Demonseed Elite
Let's be honest here, early Shadowrun wasn't written with a significant eye towards realism. Really, it wasn't. That onus was applied to it later, mostly a reaction from fan sites like this one. Before forums like these, writers weren't expected to explain why or how something they wrote worked unless maybe a fan approached them at a convention. Tom Dowd, Nigel Findley, and the other early writers never had to rationalize the NAN. They probably didn't have a rationalization for it. It probably didn't even concern them.

And I can tell you there was no active effort to take the attention off the NAN. It was a side effect of the globalization of Shadowrun. A lot of writers really wanted to do something with the NAN again, myself included.
TW
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jul 10 2009, 07:57 AM) *
A lot of writers really wanted to do something with the NAN again, myself included.

Add the recent developer to that list, too.
Cheops
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 10 2009, 06:24 AM) *
They way I see it, fight for who?

Umm...themselves, their land, and their rights?

So in your future in addition to the USA being corrupt the vast bulk of the people have lost the American spirit? Dude your game is indeed very grim.

Edit: Just to be clear I actually like the NAN as a concept. Just the execution was questionable. I reason it away by having a mass migration of the poor out of cities and into the countryside. These people got integrated into the Native populace as the uprising gained momentum.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people in Canada wouldn't be too upset if Natives started getting rounded up. The reactions to Native militantism and activism in the past have not be very good. They are far and away the most prejudiced and down-trodden group in Canada.
knasser
QUOTE (knasser)
They way I see it, fight for who?

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jul 10 2009, 04:01 PM) *
Umm...themselves, their land, and their rights?

So in your future in addition to the USA being corrupt the vast bulk of the people have lost the American spirit? Dude your game is indeed very grim.

You haven't understood what I'm saying. I'm saying that people no longer chose to consider their government as representing them. Which for the many reasons twice given, is a plausible thing. Why shouldn't people side with the group that isn't selling off the land to foreign corporations, hasn't inflicted fifteen years of failure, chaos and mass death on you, isn't locking people up in concentration camps and above all, is plainly facing a foe it cannot beat?

If American spirit is letting a government tell you how you should behave and that you should die on the behalf of a group of leaders desperate to hold onto power against your own best interests, then yes, let it die. But I prefer to consider the high-point of American spirit events such as gaining independence from foreign powers and establishing a constitution that might be the best thought-out bases for a country yet written. You have several times now not grasped my point or else you are confusing the different points of view in this thread. The government is not the people. The government fell, the people got the NAN.

K.
Warlordtheft
Also-the US in the SR universe didn't die. It balkanized-after the NAN came to power it merged with canada and then saw the CAS and CFS succede. Canada lost Quebec before that, as qbeckies supported the NAN. So the US has no real chance of reforming. If it did, Azantlan is in trouble.

Side note:Didn't some Iriquois try to declare independence from canada in the early 1990s?
Malokei
QUOTE (Alexand @ Jul 10 2009, 06:40 AM) *
My 2 nuyen.gif

Isn't that like 16 UCAS dollars? Last time I read the transfer rate on those was for every $8 it was one nuyen.
Malachi
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jul 10 2009, 10:16 AM) *
Canada lost Quebec before that, as qbeckies supported the NAN.

Here's another realism "goof-up" in the SR timeline. Would Quebec secede and form their own nation? Absolutely, they've tried a couple times already. Would the nation have the exact same borders of the province of Quebec right now? Almost certainly not. Would Quebec "nationalists" support Natives? Almost certainly not. I can see Quebec forming its own nation, and even imposing radical French-supremacy laws (like making French the only "legal" language of business") but all of the Native tribes in north Quebec wouldn't stay in that country. What would be left is a much reduced nation of Quebec, mainly clustered around the St. Lawrence river. Now, all of that said, does it really adversely affect my ability to enjoy SR as a game? Not in the least.

The only way I could see the native tribes in northern Quebec getting on board with the separatists is if they promised the Natives that they would just leave them alone and they could do whatever the heck they wanted. In which case it would function basically like it was two nations, but be one on the map.
Cheops
@Knasser: We definitely have a failure to communicate. I'm not saying that they are fighting for the government per se. I clearly said they are fighting for themselves. Sure they don't care as much about the US anymore but they damn sure care about some injun trying to take away their rights and freedoms. This would be aleviated by being offered citizenship in the new country. However, winning that new country would be tough. I'm pretty sure you're not North American so you don't know just what the general feeling towards Natives is like here.

People will feel sorry for them but as soon as they try to "take something back" people get really pissed off.

Case in point:

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jul 10 2009, 05:16 PM) *
Side note:Didn't some Iriquois try to declare independence from canada in the early 1990s?

This was the Oka Crisis. A bunch of Mohawks armed themselves and tried to stop the town of Oka from building a golf course on their sacred lands. Similar thing happened here in BC several years later (Gustafsen Lake) when several bands tried to stop the development of a ski resort. In both cases the "anglos" (although they were Francos in the Oka case) reacted in very racist manners. One MP for Quebec was even advocating shipping the band off to Labradour. Here in BC we didn't even label it as political -- the AG labelled it as a criminal matter.
kzt
QUOTE (Naysayer @ Jul 9 2009, 11:14 PM) *
Exactly. That's why they couldn't handle the "stupidity" of DeeCee handing over the country to a bunch a' injuns, and left in a huff.
Personally, I get the feeling that the CAS storyline is much less sensical and coherent than the NAN one.
Discuss!

That is true. The idea that they would call themselves the CSA is appallingly stupid.

But the California idiocy exceeds the CSA idiocy, as it's still expanding with the flooding of LA....
kzt
QUOTE (Malachi @ Jul 10 2009, 09:45 AM) *
The only way I could see the native tribes in northern Quebec getting on board with the separatists is if they promised the Natives that they would just leave them alone and they could do whatever the heck they wanted. In which case it would function basically like it was two nations, but be one on the map.

Also the Iroquois along the southern border have promised to bail in case of secession IIRC.
BlueMax
QUOTE (kzt @ Jul 10 2009, 09:02 AM) *
That is true. The idea that they would call themselves the CSA is appallingly stupid.

But the California idiocy exceeds the CSA idiocy, as it's still expanding with the flooding of LA....

I may have to start a new thread but let me ask

"What the frag do folks here actually *like* about Shadowrun?"

Things people hate
-Shadowslang
-Shadowrun history
-Fantasy portions of setting.

I continue to wonder if the market wouldn't be better served embracing CP2020.

BlueMax
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Jul 10 2009, 11:12 AM) *
I may have to start a new thread but let me ask

"What the frag do folks here actually *like* about Shadowrun?"

Things people hate
-Shadowslang
-Shadowrun history
-Fantasy portions of setting.

I continue to wonder if the market wouldn't be better served embracing CP2020.

BlueMax

Lots of people here would probably be better served by playing an ultra-realistic combat simulation. There's endless bitching about how abstract the rules are and how such-and-such isn't realistic. Or maybe a nation-state simulator, for everyone who wants to complain that the NAN, CFS, and CAS aren't realistic either. And if there was more information about what was going on in Europe, people would probably complain about that too.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Malachi @ Jul 10 2009, 10:45 AM) *
Here's another realism "goof-up" in the SR timeline. Would Quebec secede and form their own nation? Absolutely, they've tried a couple times already. Would the nation have the exact same borders of the province of Quebec right now? Almost certainly not. Would Quebec "nationalists" support Natives? Almost certainly not. I can see Quebec forming its own nation, and even imposing radical French-supremacy laws (like making French the only "legal" language of business") but all of the Native tribes in north Quebec wouldn't stay in that country. What would be left is a much reduced nation of Quebec, mainly clustered around the St. Lawrence river. Now, all of that said, does it really adversely affect my ability to enjoy SR as a game? Not in the least.

This would also explain why they control Labrador as well. There is no way in Hell that Newfoundland would ever let Labrador and all of its resources go to the Quebecois, unless the First Nations in Labrador elected to join a new Quebec nation (in a situation as you described above).
I've meet guys from Labrador and Northern Quebec, they have family and friends that shoot down Hydro lines with 22s because "it pisses off the frogs". There is no love up there for the Quebec government and the Francophones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012