Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NAN Fading
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Traul
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Nov 5 2009, 11:06 AM) *
... or they might go "OK, Howling Coyote might kill a whole lot of people, and if we give in he most likely take everything! Kill them all and let God sort 'em out. Nuclear Weapons are hereby authorized." Yes the US might kill a whole lot of innocent people, but compared to what might happened... a whole lot more agreeable.

Don't forget the NAN have already proved the efficiency of their anti-aerial defense system by the time. Rockets and air strikes are not an option anymore. How to deliver the nukes then?
Saint Sithney
They could never use nuclear weapons. If they did, it would ruin international relations forever. The most likely weapon used against a confirmed target would be the "Rods from God" orbital kinetic bombardment weapons. Basically, they're giant tungsten rods the size of phone poles with a special endcaps made to resist the heat of reentry. They're dropped from orbit and land on a target with all the force of an atomic bomb, but without any of the mess or any warning. Complete first strike capability on hardened targets.

But we're still getting too anchored in reality here. We're talking instead about a world where there is a blatant corporate oligarchy running the US government. There is no ideology in an oligarchy besides profit and loss. A corporate controlled congress would never allow a direct attack to be made if the natives still had the ability to cause a supervolcanic eruption under yellowstone national park which would cover the entire earth with ash for 40 years. There is no profit in suicide, so there is no obvious action they can take. They'd be forced to chalk it up as a loss and tend to what they can.

Oh, and Lurker, the Japanese surrender in WWII was unconditional. Unconditional surrender means that, we could have told them to swim to China if we wanted. They had been trying to surrender with conditions for nearly a year, but we wouldn't accept any agreement which allowed the emperor to remain in command.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Nov 5 2009, 04:35 PM) *
They could never use nuclear weapons. If they did, it would ruin international relations forever. The most likely weapon used against a confirmed target would be the "Rods from God" orbital kinetic bombardment weapons. Basically, they're giant tungsten rods the size of phone poles with a special endcaps made to resist the heat of reentry. They're dropped from orbit and land on a target with all the force of an atomic bomb, but without any of the mess or any warning. Complete first strike capability on hardened targets.

You mean Thor Shots, right? I don't know if this level of technology was already available during the 2010's of shadowrun timeline.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 5 2009, 12:29 PM) *
But the context of the question was not about whether the Indians standing together would be opposed. It was a question about whether there would be cooperation among them enough to make a stand. It asked when was the last time anyone saw such a thing. I saw such a thing this summer.

Actually no the context of the question was in regards to numbers nothing more nothing less it was an ironic twist of a question posted by JohnathanC over int he rediculous Shoah thread. My point is, and continues to be that the NAN forces were comprised entirely of people of Native American descent who's stated goal was to evict all non whites from their lands and used staggering terroristic effects to achieve their goals. Later both cronologically and retcon wise the NAN's tone softened but my point is at the time of the uprising the NAN's max fighting force based on real world census figures, assuming none died in VITAS, assuming none died in and the camps, and assuming every single person of Native American descent in the United States joined the movement and was an effective fighter would be right around 1% of the population as a whole (and that is factoring in vitas, based on the last census figures Native American blooded persons make up about .96 percent of the population. So in essence for the scenario to have a chance to work, every single NA has to be a magical indian brave fully commited to the path of wiping out all anglos for them to even bring a like sized fighting force to the table. Then everyone in the US government (and to a lesser extent) needs to go full bore retard in VERY SPECIFIC ways for the treaty of denver to get signed in the way it does.

kigmatzomat did more to convince me then anyone else here. Unfortunately the chain of probability is rediculously weak, and I think the game as a whole would be better moving away from it. But then again as I've stated I'm not very attached to the NAN for personal and ethical reasons I think the story of the national powers weakening and falling into decay can be told just fine without magical indian braves and immortal elves.
Not of this World
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 4 2009, 05:38 PM) *
You do realize that the ten year limit you so boldly written for me only makes the NAN less likely to survive right?

I recall the Arab governments thought the same things about the Israelis after 19 years and got their collective butts kicked.
In the time afterward the NAN is building and getting stronger. Developing conventional militaries to go along with their significant magical muscle and the UCAS is losing a lot of major military installations. Meanwhile the UCAS is taking a beating as others already described.

But I think the protests against the NANs are starting to sound a little comical.
Traul
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Nov 5 2009, 08:35 PM) *
The most likely weapon used against a confirmed target would be the "Rods from God" orbital kinetic bombardment weapons. Basically, they're giant tungsten rods the size of phone poles with a special endcaps made to resist the heat of reentry. They're dropped from orbit and land on a target with all the force of an atomic bomb, but without any of the mess or any warning. Complete first strike capability on hardened targets.

When did those babies appear? Corps have them in the 60s, but did they already exist in 2018?
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Nov 5 2009, 05:06 AM) *
Now before you poo-poo my nukes idea, the Indians will have gathering points. If you have collateral damage... explain it away as such: "We had intel that the terrorist who just killed 18,000 people were located in this area and they were just about to launch another attack. We responded in due haste to eliminate these terrorist."

Nukes are bad to use against targets that a) are close to you and b) where you don't have good targeting data.

We know the NAN is good at not being found by their success during the covert war. So the military will need to hit largish areas. Lets be reasonable and confine the NAN targets to 20 mile radiuses. That's 1200 square miles a target. Say 3 NAN bases as targets for 3600 square miles to be nuked. You need something like a dozen 150kTon warheads per target to be sure of hard kill since the NAn may literally be dug in. For 3 targets that's nearly 5 Megatons of nuclear bombing.

Now you need to deal with 3 fires, each 40 miles in diameter, each covering 768,000 acres of devastation, with circumferences of 130 miles. Oh, but its radioactive. Assume a decent standoff airburst with minimal fallout, you probably have to wait a mere 72 hours to fight the blazes. At 1mph that moves the windward side 72 miles east for a fire wall more than 250 miles in circumference.

Per target site.

After you've dealt with the massive fires, you have to consider the radiation effect on the water supply. Did you hit the Colorado and poison southern California? How about the Snake and take out the northwest? Pray they aren't all on tributaries of the Missouri which would poison the water all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Even if the water doesn't glow, odds are the sudden bulldozing of nearly a million acres plus a subsequent burn zone comprising another two million acres will fubar the drainage and silt the crap out of the rivers. Hello fish kill and lack of potability.

And for reference. you'd get similar results with conventional bombs. See "dresden fire bombing" for a historical example.

Now lets consider the impacts of 5 megatons of EMP. Any electrical or telephone grids in the area will short out from the pulse as their cables become big antennas. Communication satellites aimed at the region will have their receivers fry. The ionosphere's going to be lit up, which is good for radio, bad for surviving sat links.

This is why the military, no military, has bothered with nukes. There's no job one nuke can do that a flight of bombers can't achieve with conventional munitions. The destruction of multiple nukes is so high that you only use them waaaay over there, when you want to destroy huge swaths of the earth and evryone who lives there. And I do mean every single person, infant to elder.

For anything less, use conventional munitions.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Assuming that the USA had nearly 300 millions during the 2000's, roughly 3 millions would be native americans. Yet, the First and Second States of 18th century France sumed 500k people ruling over 22 millions. And yes, I know that these people eventually revolted. But it took a lot of abuse before rampaging the Bastilla.

The terms of the Treaty of Denver are as follows:

* To cede lands covering most of the western North America to the Native American Nations for purposes of forming their own independent nations.
* To establish and recognize from this point forward the legitimacy of the Native American Nations; specifically the Sioux Nation, the Pueblo Council, the Salish Council, the Ute Nation, the Trans-Polar Aleut Nation, and the Tsimshian Nation.
* To establish the Sovereign Tribal Council as the international ruling body for the Native American Nations collectively, along with the duties and responsibilities entrusted to said Council.
* To relocate and remove over the course of ten years all United States and Canadian citizens not eligible for NAN citizenship from the lands ceded to the Native American Nations.
* To establish reserved lands within the Native American Nations for the residence of those people who wish to remain in NAN territory but who are not eligible for citizenship at this time.
* To establish Seattle as an extraterritorial extension of the United States of America with the exception of Mercer Island, which is ceded from this point forward to the Salish Council and renamed Council Island, for the purpose of establishing embassies to the US from the Native American Nations.
* To establish the Council of Denver as a body designated to oversee the implementation of thise treaty and to govern the city of Denver, hereafter called the Front Range Free Zone, and to divide control of the Front Range Free Zone among the signatories who share interests in that area; specifically, Aztlan, the Pueblo Council, the Sioux Nation, the United States, and the Ute Nation.

If this was retconed later I don't know, I'm not american so I don't know how the western and mid-western people woud feel about this. But someone mentioned them being suspicious of the federal government. It is possible that during the civil war, while the corporations were taking over control of the federal government, a lot of them might have allied with the NAN.
Also, around 2021 when Goblinization happened and most of the UGE-born were considered adults, many of them asked for residence in NAN territory, feeling that they would be less prejudiced. By the time the UCAS could have achieved the manpower and magical power to retake the lost territory, the CAS and California secede.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Traul @ Nov 5 2009, 12:57 PM) *
When did those babies appear? Corps have them in the 60s, but did they already exist in 2018?

They've been working on getting them in orbit since 2005 I think. I doubt they'll see much use though since each one costs probably 15 million dollars. Still, being able to strike a hardened target 15 minutes after acquisition is pretty boss.
Ravor
Brazilian_Shinobi let me put it to you this way, the "midwest" is some of the stauntest "pro-American" areas of the country. Now understand that "pro-American" is not the same thing as "pro-government" but I know how my neighbors would react to a bunch of Nazis wearing feathers. Nevermind the fact that those same areas are highly armed so we aren't talking about a bunch of unarmed city slickers.
Link
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 5 2009, 09:25 PM) *
My point is, and continues to be that the NAN forces were comprised entirely of people of Native American descent who's stated goal was to evict all non whites from their lands and used staggering terroristic effects to achieve their goals.

It's established in 1st edition that the forces of the NAN were not composed solely of native americans.
LurkerOutThere
Which is flat contradicted elsewhere in second, third and fourth editions and even other places in first. Furthermore the SAIM was all about evicting or killing all non NA peoples.
Not of this World
QUOTE (Link @ Nov 5 2009, 09:08 PM) *
It's established in 1st edition that the forces of the NAN were not composed solely of native americans.

It is in several other books as well that whites were allowed to remain. B_S already covered some of it:

To relocate and remove over the course of ten years all United States and Canadian citizens not eligible for NAN citizenship from the lands ceded to the Native American Nations.
To establish reserved lands within the Native American Nations for the residence of those people who wish to remain in NAN territory but who are not eligible for citizenship at this time.

Large significant groups are allowed to stay. NAN1 brought up Pinkskin tribes, reservations around Boise, Salt Lake City, and elsewhere. Also bear in mind their definition of Tribal didn't mean belonging to a registered tribe but just having tribal blood so it would include a lot of people who might only be 1/16th Native and are living in those midwestern areas. Contrary to what the poster before me said, SR3 with SONA "brought in" more non-natives in SSC and PCC.

Yes, I know there are places in the states way to racist and unaccepting of Native Americans. There are lots of other places in Western States where most people wouldn't mind a Native government at all. It just kind of depends on what the local prejudices are.
Ascalaphus
I can imagine a NAN-sympathizer movement claiming that the NAN represents "true America" much more than corrupt, corporate-slave congress does. Not everyone would agree, but some would.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Nov 5 2009, 11:02 PM) *
Not everyone would agree, but some would.

Jingoism doesn't see sense. To a jingoist, the USA is a flag, not a people united by ideology.

Those are the people who would create a problem, and like Ravor points out, there's a lot of those types round that part of the country.
Tachi
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Nov 4 2009, 11:02 PM) *
1. The whole "land grab" where national parks, government owned resources, and indian lands being handed over to the corps is a clear sign that the "politicians" are neither patriots nor honorable. These are bought men and women with essentially no loyalty or allegiance to their constituency. Money is their only friend.

That's actually a fairly accurate depiction of American politicians now... Does anyone here know why American politicians are considered some of the most honest in the world? It's because once they're bought, they stay bought.
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 5 2009, 10:41 PM) *
Brazilian_Shinobi let me put it to you this way, the "midwest" is some of the stauntest "pro-American" areas of the country. Now understand that "pro-American" is not the same thing as "pro-government" but I know how my neighbors would react to a bunch of Nazis wearing feathers. Nevermind the fact that those same areas are highly armed so we aren't talking about a bunch of unarmed city slickers.

QFT... and then some.

QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Nov 6 2009, 01:16 AM) *
Jingoism doesn't see sense. To a jingoist, the USA is a flag, not a people united by ideology.

Those are the people who would create a problem, and like Ravor points out, there's a lot of those types round that country.

Jingoist? Are you gonna call us redneck myrmidons next?

Despite the European belief to the contrary, being proud of your country is not a bad thing. Patriotism is not one of the opiates of the masses, though consensus, collectivism (group responsibility) and deconstructionism are. We jingoistic Midwesterners are some of the only ones left in the U.S. that still see America as a haven for the individualist. We're believers in individual responsibility and self-determination, worshipers at the throne of "Every Man a King" (though Huey Long was often a despicable person) sneering at political correctness and anyone who considers themselves part of the governing elite.

We're some of the few still clinging to the raft built by our founding fathers while the rest of the world (i.e. people like you), and some of our own, are busy untying the ropes. All for our own good of course.

America is not a flag, nor is it a people united by anything. It is an idea. That idea is that a man can make his own decisions, chart his own path, handle his own responsibilities, and defend his own freedoms... Alone if necessary, and absolutely without help from the guberment.

And, just because my religious icon has stars and stripes, and my holy writ starts out "We the People", doesn't mean I'm either stupid, ignorant or gullible.

So, if you're so ignorant of the true nature of us "jingoists" that you have to use generalities when talking about us, you might want to keep that unwarranted pseudo-intellectual sneer out of your posts.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Ok people, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. It was not my intention to poke the jaguar.
Fair enough, the mid-western people would not accept meekly being removed from their homes. Mass Mind Trick, then?
"This is not the land you are looking for" grinbig.gif

QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 6 2009, 05:32 AM) *
That's actually a fairly accurate depiction of American politicians now... Does anyone here know why American politicians are considered some of the most honest in the world? It's because once they're bought, they stay bought.

They must have learned with the brazilians politicians and improved their lessons.
Ravor
Then you've got to explain why there weren't mass revolts the moment that the mindrape wore off, or introduce permament mindrape magic into Shadowrun as well as allow ritual magic to effect large crowds without a "real link" to each indivual.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 6 2009, 03:32 AM) *
Despite the European belief to the contrary, being proud of your country is not a bad thing. Patriotism is not one of the opiates of the masses, though consensus, collectivism (group responsibility) and deconstructionism are. We jingoistic Midwesterners are some of the only ones left in the U.S. that still see America as a haven for the individualist. We're believers in individual responsibility and self-determination, worshipers at the throne of "Every Man a King" (though Huey Long was often a despicable person) sneering at political correctness and anyone who considers themselves part of the governing elite.

We're some of the few still clinging to the raft built by our founding fathers while the rest of the world (i.e. people like you), and some of our own, are busy untying the ropes. All for our own good of course.

America is not a flag, nor is it a people united by anything. It is an idea. That idea is that a man can make his own decisions, chart his own path, handle his own responsibilities, and defend his own freedoms... Alone if necessary, and absolutely without help from the guberment.

And, just because my religious icon has stars and stripes, and my holy writ starts out "We the People", doesn't mean I'm either stupid, ignorant or gullible.

So, if you're so ignorant of the true nature of us "jingoists" that you have to use generalities when talking about us, you might want to keep that unwarranted pseudo-intellectual sneer out of your posts.

Tachi, I agree with you wholeheartedly that judging others through generalities is not a good thing. Don't you think, in retrospect, that your own diatribe above has a few generalities of its own?
Ravor
Not when compared to the other side, no I think Tachi was well within his rights and was fairly reasonable.
Warlordtheft
Well my perpective is that in general, the Westen Europeans view us as arrogant, and meddlesome. The eastern Europeans (who were under the Soviet rule from 1945-1989) view us in a slightly better light. While many Americans view the Western Europeans as timid, uncooperative, and prone to stalling. That being said-what one percieves to be reality is not necessarily reality.

... extinguish.gif

Also to consider, the flyover states have less population density than California, and the east coast. So you would have to look at the % of native americans and their Anglo supports on a more local basis than on a national basis. This would explain why denver, seattle and the Anglo reservations (Salt Lake, Boise) were created.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 6 2009, 12:32 AM) *
Jingoist? Are you gonna call us redneck myrmidons next?

Do you fit the definition of a jingoist? No? Then I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about jingoists. They do exist and in number.

Fact is, the government which is presented in the literature is a completely criminal government which has sold the country out from under the people in order to create a state of perpetual national slavery. They've shat all over the Constitution, the people, and the environment and obliterated national sovereignty in a way which could only be rectified by revolution. There is no USA to believe in anymore.

It's really not that hard to believe that someone who actually believes in America might find the Native uprising as a decent chance to try and throw off the illegal government in order to refresh the liberty of the USA. The retcon completely implies that. And, besides, even in the original text, they still kept most of the major cities under anglo control as "reservations" and such where the people who lived there were allowed to govern themselves. I really don't believe in the "Nazis with feathers" business that people are spewing. The text really doesn't support it.

edt: Also, don't think that there are farmers losing their land or anything like that. Thanks to the imminent domain laws outlined in the literature, all those people would have been kicked off their land by agrobusiness by then.
Tachi
Please excuse the following 'wall-o-text'. It couldn't be helped.

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Nov 6 2009, 07:25 AM) *
Ok people, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. It was not my intention to poke the jaguar.
Fair enough, the mid-western people would not accept meekly being removed from their homes. Mass Mind Trick, then?
"This is not the land you are looking for" grinbig.gif

This is not the land we are looking for. Move along. nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 6 2009, 09:21 AM) *
Tachi, I agree with you wholeheartedly that judging others through generalities is not a good thing. Don't you think, in retrospect, that your own diatribe above has a few generalities of its own?

Yeah, you're right, that crack about Europe was just slightly over the line. Especially since I personally know quite a few Europeans that are good people.

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Nov 6 2009, 10:36 AM) *
Well my perpective is that in general, the Westen Europeans view us as arrogant, and meddlesome. The eastern Europeans (who were under the Soviet rule from 1945-1989) view us in a slightly better light. While many Americans view the Western Europeans as timid, uncooperative, and prone to stalling. That being said-what one percieves to be reality is not necessarily reality.

... extinguish.gif

Personally, I think the main source of friction between Europe and the U.S. is that Europe prefers the roundabout approach, whereas Americans prefer the direct approach. This is often exacerbated by the fact that when we look at each other, we often find that we're looking in a mirror.

QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Nov 6 2009, 01:38 PM) *
Do you fit the definition of a jingoist? No? Then I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about jingoists. They do exist and in number.

QUOTE (Dictionary.com)
jingo: a person who professes his or her patriotism loudly and excessively, favoring vigilant preparedness for war and an aggressive foreign policy. One who vociferously supports one's country.

jingoism: Extreme and emotional nationalism.

nationalism: devotion and loyalty to one's own nation; patriotism. The policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation, viewed as separate from the interests of other nations.

You did notice the part where I said, "my religious icon has stars and stripes, and my holy writ starts out "We the People,"' right? I was not being facetious. I was, in fact, completely serious. So, yes, I am a "jingo", and you were talking about me in a way that carried many negative connotations.
Whipstitch
The problem people find with jingoists is that many of them expect people to write the government a blank check in regards to aggressive foreign policy. As a voter, that seems like an abdication of responsibility to me. Trying to appeal to me on an emotional, patriotic level about such important matters hits me as immediately suspect. Given Europe's brushes with fascism in the past, I have a hard time judging them too harshly when it comes to some of their misgivings.
Sengir
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Nov 5 2009, 11:06 AM) *
@kigmatzomat, you forget that the US might go "Oh No! Howling Coyote can kill a whole lot more people! Let's give in!"

... or they might go "OK, Howling Coyote might kill a whole lot of people, and if we give in he most likely take everything! Kill them all and let God sort 'em out. Nuclear Weapons are hereby authorized."

...in which case the Russians would go "early warning sats X, Y and Z show infrared signatures consistent with massive US missile launch, SIGINT reports traffic spike on all military frequencies. Alert the Strategic Rocket Forces". Firing nukes at anyone is a baaad idea
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 5 2009, 11:41 PM) *
Brazilian_Shinobi let me put it to you this way, the "midwest" is some of the stauntest "pro-American" areas of the country. Now understand that "pro-American" is not the same thing as "pro-government" but I know how my neighbors would react to a bunch of Nazis wearing feathers.

So how would those Pro-Americans react when nazis wearing suits and ties come to kick neighbors and townsfolk off lands they've inhabited for a century? Where was there disgust at the way american citizens had land and property turned over to big companies?

Because they came for the red man's homes long before the SAIM incident.

So either in SR the jingo americans didn't have the guts to pitch in when The Gov'ment came to toss locals out on the street or they joined SAIM early on and were the foundation of the Pinkskin tribes.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Nov 6 2009, 01:38 PM) *

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Fact is, the government which is presented in the literature is a completely criminal government which has sold the country out from under the people in order to create a state of perpetual national slavery. They've shat all over the Constitution, the people, and the environment and obliterated national sovereignty in a way which could only be rectified by revolution. There is no USA to believe in anymore.

Setting aside for a moment my belief that all government is at best a necissary evil. I will never believe that an "illegal" or "immoral" government can exist without some level of consent of it's people. That is always the problem with the shadowrun backstory, especially in regards to the NAN. These extermination acts and other nonsense supposedly passed entirely by the evil government actions yet the NAN and their own evil empire leanings supposedly experienced a groundswell of popular support, even though they were basically founded on the superiorirty of native american blood. This brings me back to my Nazi parallel. One story or the other works, not both.

It's really not that hard to believe that someone who actually believes in America might find the Native uprising as a decent chance to try and throw off the illegal government in order to refresh the liberty of the USA. The retcon completely implies that. And, besides, even in the original text, they still kept most of the major cities under anglo control as "reservations" and such where the people who lived there were allowed to govern themselves. I really don't believe in the "Nazis with feathers" business that people are spewing. The text really doesn't support it.

You can not believe it all you want it is exactly as depicted, 20k non-native american's were killed at Los Alamos, the NAN is devoted to ghettoizing the Anglos with the reservations and forcibly deporting them from their lands. Now outside of karmic absolution that is no different from parallels to the real world third reich.

edt: Also, don't think that there are farmers losing their land or anything like that. Thanks to the imminent domain laws outlined in the literature, all those people would have been kicked off their land by agrobusiness by then.

But you can't prove that can you? You can only work with what exists in the literature, which is the NAN uprooted the entirety of non NAN people's from their lands and either sent them to approved reservations (I guess people already living in those reservations lucked out, provided their Feather Wearing Masters didn't re-oproriate their lands as well.

In other words, I'm more prepared to accept that the nation as a whole, as a collection of people might loose control of their government through corruption nd graft and dissolution, a democracy is always in danger of that,, I understand that, you get the government you deserve is practically taught in our schools. However I am not prepared to accept that the "magical indian braves" who rose up on a position of racial superiority would be accepted as benevolent feather wearing master race by the the other 99% of the population especially when said indian nazi's tactics, doctrine, and beliefs as stated in the literature completely contradict that view. The only way it could happy is through extensive handwavium (not even the magic kind) and multiple retcons.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Sengir @ Nov 10 2009, 03:55 PM) *
...in which case the Russians would go "early warning sats X, Y and Z show infrared signatures consistent with massive US missile launch, SIGINT reports traffic spike on all military frequencies. Alert the Strategic Rocket Forces". Firing nukes at anyone is a baaad idea

Try again, Lone Eagle didn't cause the end of the world, so your exact scenario didn't come to pass. If the russians didn't AAAAH MOTHERLAND! when a nuclear missile was actually headed towards them I do not see why this scenario would play out. Furthermore to take out a a suspected nan-enampment you don't need an ICBM. It's only with OMNISIENT SUPERMAGIC that ever military assett in the country can be locked down. A cruise missile is a fire and forget missile launchable from the roof of a hum-vee that can travel hundreds of miles depending on type and payload.
Sengir
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 10 2009, 11:22 PM) *
Try again, Lone Eagle didn't cause the end of the world, so your exact scenario didn't come to pass.

And I sincerely doubt that people were all too trigger-happy after that near death experience with a single missile wink.gif

Furthermore to take out a a suspected nan-enampment you don't need an ICBM.

You don't need nukes at all, which is what I was trying to say: Nobody will open the green-glowing can of atomic mutant worms to take out a puny guerilla base, so a US government throwing nukes left and right would not be a more sensible than DHC and his magic army out of nowhere.
Ravor
kigmatzomat well it depends on whether or not you are talking about the government stomping on the rights of the indians or if you are claiming that the government started kicking down doors outside the rezes because you'll get very different answers for each situation.
Traul
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 10 2009, 11:18 PM) *
You can not believe it all you want it is exactly as depicted, 20k non-native american's were killed at Los Alamos, the NAN is devoted to ghettoizing the Anglos with the reservations and forcibly deporting them from their lands. Now outside of karmic absolution that is no different from parallels to the real world third reich.

You don't know what you are talking about. The NAN are fighting for land. This has a long history all over the world, from the Viking invading England to the Israel-Palestine conflict through the most important XIXth century indian wars. Would you say your own country was founded by Nazis?

The Nazis were different in that the extermination of the Untermenschen was a goal, not a mean. The Jew and the Rom have never posed any strategic threat to anybody in Europe. The Nazi could have taken over Poland without parking the Jew in the Warsaw ghetto. The NAN cannot claim back their land without getting rid of those who stole it from them, as well as the US immigrants could not settle in the west without getting rid of the native first.
CanadianWolverine
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 10 2009, 04:18 PM) *
Setting aside for a moment my belief that all government is at best a necissary evil. I will never believe that an "illegal" or "immoral" government can exist without some level of consent of it's people. That is always the problem with the shadowrun backstory, especially in regards to the NAN. These extermination acts and other nonsense supposedly passed entirely by the evil government actions yet the NAN and their own evil empire leanings supposedly experienced a groundswell of popular support, even though they were basically founded on the superiorirty of native american blood. This brings me back to my Nazi parallel. One story or the other works, not both.

Er... This statement doesn't make much sense to me, don't the USA and Canada have both (and multiples) on a regular basis everytime we have an election, pull out a map and paint some ridings one color or another? Approval of this or that can be regional and we often seem to make up specific names for blocks of trends in the voting. And then throw in a recent President/Vice President having some abysmally low approval ratings according to this or that non-election poll and a record that screams impeachment, yet no such thing happened or will.

Why wouldn't it be possible that a simplification of that section of SR's history would be that western north america was a majority/active vocal minority "Go NAN, go!" and the eastern side was "Go UCAS, go!" majority/active vocal minority. Heck, break it down even further, some places would be "Fracking FN terrorists running the place!" and others would be "Sweet, fuck the nazi UCAS, we should have tossed them out years ago!" Didn't the Ute end up a failed state? Maybe there wasn't really that much of a ground swell there after all.

And on top of that, wouldn't actually seeing your NAN family, friends, and neighbors getting screwed locally make national propaganda just slightly less effective? Given that, I could totally see eastern citizens who don't have things they can use their own six senses on (thanks to putting eastern FN in camps and slaughtering them in wars in real US history, so their aren't local FN to be family, friends, and neighbors with anymore) much more likely to believe the terrorist label.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Ravor @ Nov 10 2009, 10:39 PM) *
kigmatzomat well it depends on whether or not you are talking about the government stomping on the rights of the indians or if you are claiming that the government started kicking down doors outside the rezes because you'll get very different answers for each situation.

So to paraphrase, "I did not speak up when they came for the indians' land because I was not an indian"?
And I suspect that fighting back when other people tae your land cause they have power makes you a provisional member of SAIM.

As for the scope, are you aware how much federal land is in the western states? Something like 250 million acres of federal land is leased for grazing.

According to some quick web fu on my cellphone, the federal lands (parks, reserves, military bases, reservations) as percentage of total area by western state is:
nevada 85%
alaska 69%
utah 57%
oregon 53%
idaho 50%
arizona 48%
california 45%
wyoming 42%
new mexico 41%
colorado 36%

That is what gets taken in the rush. Ranchers are thrown off grazing lands the same as Indians. The military lands are the only possible exceptions.
Ravor
*Shrugs* Never said it was right, but that is the way things are because of the rezes, I wasn't kidding when I spectulated whether or not forced assemiation all those years ago would have been a better option by now. As for the federal lands getting siezed in the resource rush, yeah, that wouldn't be popular at all but until the feds started knocking on doors and kicking families off of their lands you wouldn't get more than grumbling.
kigmatzomat
See, that assessment is the reason why you think the NAN doesn't make sense while I think it does.

To me, all the true american patriots, loyal to the ideals of America, would speak out against The Revenuers taking away people- rightfullt held lands and wind up lumped in with SAIM by the corp-military, ultimately becoming the pink skins.

To you, the patriotic types will grumble and only act when personally threatened, even when 35-85% of their state comes under ShiawaSaederKrup control, and rise up against the 'nazis in feathers.' More apt to call them Isrealis in Feathers, and consider the whites Palestinians.
Ravor
That's ok, I remember when I used to be that idealistic, but don't worry that shiny coat of yours will dull in time.

People have always seen the world in terms of "us" and "them", and perhaps the greatest evil of the rezes is the fact that the segeration the rezes encourage along with the resentment that government handouts breed has done nothing to close the divide between the indians and whites.

Your example of calling the feathered nazis Isrealis did make me chuckle though given the sorid history of everyone involved in that conflict.

Particle_Beam
Guys, cut it out with invoking Godwin's Law for your arguments, it is tiresome and ruins whatever semblance of worthwile discussion this thread still has.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Particle_Beam @ Nov 12 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Guys, cut it out with invoking Godwin's Law for your arguments, it is tiresome and ruins whatever semblance of worthwile discussion this thread still has.

In a discussion about genocide Godwin's Law does not apply. Once you have concentration camps mentioned in the very sources you discuss, not mentioning the obvious and wanted parallels when appropriate would lead to a ruined discussion.
Particle_Beam
It's tiresome because it's going on for several pages with several members argumenting that either the fledgling NAN or the ineffective USA (Shadowrun-version) must be the Nazi-equivalent, all the time. Everybody gets it, both sides (NAN and former USA) were bad, both side pursued the total annihilation of the other, and both sides were equal to everybody's favorite bad guys, those wacky nazis. Nobody's innocent, and everything is built upon the bones of little babies.
It's popped up often enough that people should continue with new arguments, instead of being locked on this little over-used aspect about who's more akin to the old nazis (both sides were, and will always be, and everybody accept it).

Also, this thread should be about the NAN not being so present anymore in modern edition supplements, not if the creation of the NAN and the circumstances leading to it were feasible and/or logical.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Nov 12 2009, 12:33 AM) *
See, that assessment is the reason why you think the NAN doesn't make sense while I think it does.

To me, all the true american patriots, loyal to the ideals of America, would speak out against The Revenuers taking away people- rightfullt held lands and wind up lumped in with SAIM by the corp-military, ultimately becoming the pink skins.

It is one thing to say "I believe that what is being done to the indian's is wrong" it is quite another to say "I believe what is being done to the indians is so wrong I am supporting their effort of genocide and apartheid against all those not of their race and consign myself to second class citizen status willingly so that my enlightened indian masters may rule over me." Oh yes, pink skin tribess, how I hate them.

Traul
And how about "if it's the corps or the feathers, I'll try the feathers: at least they have weed."
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Particle_Beam @ Nov 12 2009, 11:07 AM) *
It's tiresome because it's going on for several pages with several members argumenting that either the fledgling NAN or the ineffective USA (Shadowrun-version) must be the Nazi-equivalent, all the time. Everybody gets it, both sides (NAN and former USA) were bad, both side pursued the total annihilation of the other, and both sides were equal to everybody's favorite bad guys, those wacky nazis. Nobody's innocent, and everything is built upon the bones of little babies.
It's popped up often enough that people should continue with new arguments, instead of being locked on this little over-used aspect about who's more akin to the old nazis (both sides were, and will always be, and everybody accept it).

Also, this thread should be about the NAN not being so present anymore in modern edition supplements, not if the creation of the NAN and the circumstances leading to it were feasible and/or logical.

No one asked you to thread nazi. smile.gif

For the record, I will continue to use feather wearing nazi's for as long as they exist in setting as they advocate a superiority of one belief or race over others and forced a relocation or second class citizenship of all others in pursuit of that goals. Their racial ideology is what gets them the Nazi moniker, the mass effect weapons used to wipe out 20k people at a time and do untold damage to the enivorment and incalcuable loss of life and property is icing on the cake. While the US government may have signed an order authorizing killing th native american's this is one of the few times in life where I will give them a pass for lack of success as their efforts obviously wern't carried out as there were nough of the 1% of the population (based on today's real world figures) to force the other 99% to capitualate. (Discounting Latino's who evidently are part of the Aztek hive mind).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 12 2009, 07:37 PM) *
No one asked you to thread nazi. smile.gif

For the record, I will continue to use feather wearing nazi's for as long as they exist in setting as they advocate a superiority of one belief or race over others and forced a relocation or second class citizenship of all others in pursuit of that goals. Their racial ideology is what gets them the Nazi moniker, the mass effect weapons used to wipe out 20k people at a time and do untold damage to the enivorment and incalcuable loss of life and property is icing on the cake. While the US government may have signed an order authorizing killing th native american's this is one of the few times in life where I will give them a pass for lack of success as their efforts obviously wern't carried out as there were nough of the 1% of the population (based on today's real world figures) to force the other 99% to capitualate. (Discounting Latino's who evidently are part of the Aztek hive mind).

WOW... Just WOW...

Keep the Faith
Ravor
Sadly it isn't out of line given the fact that I clearly remember the discussions about how we have to count Hispanics as firm supporters of the NAN simply because of Big A, despite the fact that Hispanic people tend to be some of the stauntest Christians I've ever met but yet we are supposed to believe that they rolled on their beliefs in a heartbeat.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Nov 12 2009, 09:23 PM) *
It is one thing to say "I believe that what is being done to the indian's is wrong" it is quite another to say "I believe what is being done to the indians is so wrong I am supporting their effort of genocide and apartheid against all those not of their race and consign myself to second class citizen status willingly so that my enlightened indian masters may rule over me." Oh yes, pink skin tribess, how I hate them.

You are granting people prescience of a future that 99.99999999999% of the populace would believe were totally impossible.

Indians DID NOT HAVE MAGIC when they were thrown off their lands. Who in their right mind would have believed that a militia-type response, even one with the support of a fairly competent Mexico/Aztlan, would be concluded by the Indians detonating 3 volcanoes?

Preposterous!

I'm saying that patriotic folks would stand up to the Corps, verbally if not in an armed insurrection. Oh, they'd get crushed and some would eventually wind up in the Re-education camps as sympathizers with the others having their credit ratings ruined.

Following the escape from the re-education camps, Ignoring the magic (which no one would really believe), it would become clear to those who were aware of the actual conflicts between NAN and army that the government was perpetrating a coverup, which would have only put fuel on the fire of the militia-loving westerners.

I'll grant you that once the indians start doing magic, whistling up visible spirits, and causing weather events on command, things are going to be weird between the reds and the pinks. But I'll note that there's no indication in the shadowrun universe that post-Denver there was any red-on-white genocide. Not even comments in Shadowland, AFAIK.

I imagine that quite a lot of those people who would become 2nd class citizens wouldn't be too thrilled at living near the tornado-calling, volcano-summoning, army-thwarting indians and, being people not willing to get involved when someone else is being oppressed, a large percentage of them probably won't have the guts to really resist the indians-with-mojo.

The indians don't keep their moral high ground with their racial apartheid (an apt term), and they do according to all the literature, develop a serious racial/tribal caste structure even to other tribes.

However most of the SR setting is based upon having harshly delineated class lines.

No money or power? 2nd class citizen
Criminal SIN? 3rd class citizen
No SIN? Not even a citizen
Ravor
You are also forgetting that the resource rush would be one of the best things to happen ecomonicly to the affected areas.
Particle_Beam
How did the common populace benefit from it, when it was foreign corporations who depleted the local ressources and paid minimal wages to anybody. After all, texan workers stormed an oil field because they were underpaid, and overworked. Those corporations were greedy, and did not care about helping local economical sites, as they bribed the ineffective US-government to let them take away whatever they wanted.

Bira
Wow, this has gone on for quite a while, hasn't it?

The way I see things, it makes perfect sense to say that these magical revolts weren't nearly as "racial" as most people make them out to be. The people who ended up living in the NAN territories weren't only "pureblood american indians" who kicked anybody else off their new country. There really wouldn't be enough of them to hold that much land. So what I do is decree that the "NAN" movement actually included anyone who was dissatisfied enough with the government to oppose it, which considering everything that was going on at the time would be a pretty broad section of the population, spread all across the country.

From hearing comments here, looks like a lot of people start talking about secession when a new American president is elected just because he doesn't belong to the "right party". What do you think would happen if you actually had a government that went around locking people up in concentration camps and generally siding with big money corps in clear detriment of the civilians? I don't mean "here, have some bailout money", I mean "oh, your paramilitary armed forces killed two hundred people last week? You're not only cleared of all charges, but you're also commended for being a civic-minded hero! Here, have some extraterritoriality!"

The peace agreement for NAN war probably had a lot of people moving into the NAN as well as out of it, and not because of their "native blood".
kzt
QUOTE (Bira @ Nov 13 2009, 06:33 AM) *
The way I see things, it makes perfect sense to say that these magical revolts weren't nearly as "racial" as most people make them out to be. The people who ended up living in the NAN territories weren't only "pureblood american indians" who kicked anybody else off their new country. There really wouldn't be enough of them to hold that much land. So what I do is decree that the "NAN" movement actually included anyone who was dissatisfied enough with the government to oppose it, which considering everything that was going on at the time would be a pretty broad section of the population, spread all across the country.
The peace agreement for NAN war probably had a lot of people moving into the NAN as well as out of it, and not because of their "native blood".

Except that isn't what the game says happened. If you feel the need to rewrite the history because you think it's too damn unbelievable as written why not just get evict the entire idiocy instead of trimming around the edges to try to make it just slightly less unbelievable?
Ravor
Particle_Beam think about what you said for a moment, if things are really so bad that the corps can get away with paying shit wages to oilfield roughnecks then the mere fact that there are jobs at all is going to uplift what must have been a really, really bad econamy.

Bira you know, even if I were to agree with the idea that a broad magical uprising could actually suceed you've still got the problem that the "nice NAN" you end up with is at best the same culturely, legally, and polictically as the old America.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012