Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CGL Speculation #10
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
tete
QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 20 2010, 11:21 PM) *
That's a useless metric, since chapter sizes are so different.

A full page of text in a black-and-white Shadowrun supplement (such as Vice, Corp Guide, etc) contains roughly 1100 words.

A full page of text in SR4A contains roughly 1250 words.

Well I have a product that I have wanted to put out for years for myself. At this point in my life It would be easier for me to drop 10k to have someone else write the rest of it than find the time myself however. So I was trying to guestimate how much it would cost me to get someone to finish it. I know who I want, I can probably get him, but I dont want it to be a favor for a friend I want to pay him well.
Catadmin
QUOTE (czarcasm @ Jul 20 2010, 06:29 PM) *
Can I ask a dumb question? I don't know anything about the business of RPG or freelance writing. What kind of payscale are freelancers getting? I imagine that it varies widely, depending upon the quality and breadth of the material (e.g., a chapter pays less than an entire book).

My contract gives me a dozen donuts per project.

Wait. ... Is that a good thing?

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, so if someone's already answered this, forgive the double-post.

Professional payrates, per the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, are considered to be .05 cents per word (or the equivalent of). CGL is a semi-pro market (semi pros pay between .01 to .049 cents a word).

CGL doesn't have a single rate. Payment is based on the project and the project's budget. But if you go over word count, you don't get any additional money, which is par for the course in most fiction writing.
Catadmin
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jul 20 2010, 10:26 PM) *
I can't speak for the RPG industry, but for the publishing industry in general, a short story typically runs 5000-15000 words. Anything over 25,000 words is considered a novella and anything over 50,000 is considered a novel.

Not quite.

Flash fiction 100-1000 words
Short story 1000 - 7499 words
Novelette 7500 - 17,499 words
Novella 17,500 - 40,000 words
Novel ... Depends on the genre. SF&F starts at 70,000 and goes up to 120,000 (with best selling authors getting as many words as they want).

QUOTE (Abstruse) *
Anything under novella-length (short stories) will be paid per word, with rates ranging from $.005 to $.05/word.

Not true anymore. @=) There are markets paying more than that, and up to .25 cents a word for SF&F. They are far and few between, but they do exist. I just submitted to one. Of course, there are markets that pay nothing at all for your work. I believe the guys who do Knights of the Dinner Table accept writing for their mag that isn't always paid for (you just get a copy of the mag). I could be misremembering, though.

QUOTE (Abstruse) *
This applies only to fiction writing. I don't have much knowledge about non-fiction writing, so I can't say for sure about that. And RPG writing tends to run halfway between the two in terms of writing, but seems to run closer to non-fiction in how it's handled in the industry.

Non-fiction is mostly the same. Your pro markets pay either flat fees for articles (that can be divided by word count down to .05 or more cents a word) and semi-pro gets the rate I listed in another post. Or you can have your non-paying markets. Or, if it's a big memoir or biography, advance and royalties once the advance earns out.

Flat fees per projects are common in fiction, non-fiction and RPG markets. Additionally, it's becoming more common in fiction markets to pay pro-rata royalties (a percentage of a percentage) for anthologies and other "joint" works rather than per word or per project.

EDIT: I apologize. I didn't see this topic was supposed to be moved to another thread until after I posted. Do mods want me to move this?
Adam
QUOTE (tete @ Jul 21 2010, 01:19 PM) *
Well I have a product that I have wanted to put out for years for myself. At this point in my life It would be easier for me to drop 10k to have someone else write the rest of it than find the time myself however. So I was trying to guestimate how much it would cost me to get someone to finish it. I know who I want, I can probably get him, but I dont want it to be a favor for a friend I want to pay him well.

Write/update the outline. Generate target word counts based on what you've already written and by analyzing some of the game books that are influential to you. The run it by the person you want to hire. Preferably hire someone who has developed/edited entire books. Pay them some money to appraise the work you've done, your outline, and to submit a revised outline/proposal for finishing the work.
Bull
Vodka and Mt Dew. Especially Vodka and Mt Dew Livewire (I call that an Electric Screwdriver smile.gif).

Capt Morgans SPiced Rum and Mt Dew: Typhoon was really awesome too, but Typhoon lost the Dewmocracy challenge and is impossible to find now frown.gif

Bull
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 21 2010, 09:20 PM) *
Vodka and Mt Dew. Especially Vodka and Mt Dew Livewire (I call that an Electric Screwdriver smile.gif).

Capt Morgans SPiced Rum and Mt Dew: Typhoon was really awesome too, but Typhoon lost the Dewmocracy challenge and is impossible to find now frown.gif

Bull

Sailor Jerry > Captain Morgan. Especially tasty with the Dole Pineapple/Orange/Banana juice.

I like to think of it as Kungaloosh.
Cardul
So, with the case a) turned over to another judge and b) given a continuance until october....I am thinking that it is looking more and more likely that
CGL is going to win the case. Because, I would think, the longer it takes, the greater the liklihood that 1)Coleman will be making more payments to CGL
for the co-mingled money and b) CGL will be making more money to make payments to the people on the petition.
otakusensei
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jul 21 2010, 09:13 PM) *
So, with the case a) turned over to another judge and b) given a continuance until october....I am thinking that it is looking more and more likely that
CGL is going to win the case. Because, I would think, the longer it takes, the greater the liklihood that 1)Coleman will be making more payments to CGL
for the co-mingled money and b) CGL will be making more money to make payments to the people on the petition.

The case was going to get passed to a different judge from the start, seeing as the last one was retiring. And the delay isn't that surprising, there are only so many slots that the case can get heard in and they had to adjust to the new judge.

As for this looking good for CGL, I can't think that letting them continue on like they are will reflect well on them. The quality of the current product is crap and they are out of past work and good will to ride on. Giving them more time and opportunity is basically giving them more rope to hang themselves with. For fans it's just longer that we have to wait for someone else to bring the line back in order and raise the quality of the product past what CGL is capable of.
urgru
Judge Overstreet just issued an order setting a trial date and deadlines, as follows:
- Trial October 14, 2010 at 9:30 am
- Parties using more than 10 exhibits need to submit them to chambers on October 12, 2010
- Proposed pre-trial order is due October 7, 2010
- Discovery must be completed by October 1, 2010

- Petitioner's brief is due 10 days before trial
- IMR's brief is due 5 days before trial
- Petitioner's may file a Reply 2 days before trial

Not sure when the briefs are actually due. Calendar dates would be October 4 for the Petitioners, October 9 for IMR and October 12 for the Petitioner's reply; however, the 9th is a Saturday. Either IMR's is pushed back to the following Monday (giving the Petitioners a really tight Reply turnaround), or the briefs are being counted out in work/court days. I've not read the local rules to see which scenario applies. I can dig into that later if people really want to know.

QUOTE (otakusensei @ Jul 22 2010, 09:19 AM) *
The case was going to get passed to a different judge from the start, seeing as the last one was retiring. And the delay isn't that surprising, there are only so many slots that the case can get heard in and they had to adjust to the new judge.

As for this looking good for CGL, I can't think that letting them continue on like they are will reflect well on them. The quality of the current product is crap and they are out of past work and good will to ride on. Giving them more time and opportunity is basically giving them more rope to hang themselves with. For fans it's just longer that we have to wait for someone else to bring the line back in order and raise the quality of the product past what CGL is capable of.

Judge Glover's retirement and the docket reallocation were announced on June 1st. Judge Overstreet's existing Ch. 7 & Ch. 13 cases were transferred to other judges as part of the reorganization, so there were surely clear dates on her calendar in July and August. And they previously felt they could go to trial on August 9th, so, yes, such a lengthy delay is somewhat surprising.

There could be discovery issues or other good reasons that make this the soonest practicable date from the Petitioner's perspective, or the two sides could still be working on a settlement and are giving themselves time to hammer out a deal. Pure speculation, but either one is considerably more likely than the lengthy delay having anything to do with the switch to Judge Overstreet.

Your "more rope to hang with" argument is terribly unpersuasive. Involuntary bankruptcies are difficult to secure in the first place and much, much less likely to succeed if they drag on interminably. As a general rule, time is on the debtor's side in these things and folks who want to push the involuntary petition want to move as quickly as reasonably possible.
otakusensei
QUOTE (urgru @ Jul 22 2010, 10:53 AM) *
Your "more rope to hang with" argument is terribly unpersuasive. Involuntary bankruptcies are difficult to secure in the first place and much, much less likely to succeed if they drag on interminably. As a general rule, time is on the debtor's side in these things and folks who want to push the involuntary petition want to move as quickly as reasonably possible.

I wasn't referring to the bankruptcy, I was referring only to CGL's inability to produce compelling and competent product.
BlueMax
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Jul 22 2010, 09:06 AM) *
I wasn't referring to the bankruptcy, I was referring only to CGL's inability to produce compelling and competent product.

I disagree. CGL produced Master's and Minions which has got to be the best world book I have read in 10 years.

Some of the Shadowrun stuff hasn't been exemplary sure, but every batch has its highs and lows.

BlueMax
BlueMax
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Jul 22 2010, 09:06 AM) *

I disagree. CGL produced Master's and Minions which has got to be the best world book I have read in 10 years.

Some of the Shadowrun stuff hasn't been exemplary sure, but every batch has its highs and lows.

BlueMax
otakusensei
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Jul 22 2010, 12:16 PM) *

BlueMax

The Shadowrun work lately has been dismal. In all honesty I can't speak to their other lines.
Cardul
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Jul 22 2010, 12:16 PM) *

BlueMax

There were some errors in the PDF version of 6th World Almanac. I am sure the years with the same stuff in them
got caught before it went to print. Heck, I liked the 6wA...the time line portion reminds me ALOT of the the
Jihad stuff for Battletech, and, really, is a much better fit.

Not read through Corp Guide yet, so I cannot say much about it. Of course, we will not really see much about the
real quality of SR work until War! and Attitude come out. I think those are the first products developed entirely(or,
at least, mostly) under Hardy.
otakusensei
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jul 23 2010, 01:41 AM) *
Of course, we will not really see much about the
real quality of SR work until War! and Attitude come out. I think those are the first products developed entirely(or,
at least, mostly) under Hardy.

That's the key issue here. Past books have had errors, but not on the scale that I've run into recently. No one I know is buying 6WA, and I honestly don't care enough to pirate it, so I can't speak much to it. If it's anything like Spells and Chrome I really hope someone read it before sending it to the printers. Based on that history I can't be optimistic for his future work.
Doc Chase
edit: Short version: Corp Guide's editing is cleaner than 6WA's.
Adam
Corp Guide was finished and at the printers before Sixth World Almanac was, Doc Chase.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 23 2010, 04:21 PM) *
Corp Guide was finished and at the printers before Sixth World Almanac was, Doc Chase.

Okay, the release schedule of half this crap is driving me crazy. Going back to edit posts. Again.

Edit: So how long has the damn .pdf been out?
Cabral
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Jul 23 2010, 09:31 AM) *
No one I know is buying 6WA, and I honestly don't care enough to pirate it, so I can't speak much to it.

Well, I'll be picking up the hard copy; that map is sexy. biggrin.gif
That doesn't help you out though unless I find time to write a review...
otakusensei
QUOTE (Cabral @ Jul 23 2010, 11:05 AM) *
Well, I'll be picking up the hard copy; that map is sexy. biggrin.gif
That doesn't help you out though unless I find time to write a review...

I have to admit, I'd love a copy of that map. It's just not worth all the baggage right now.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Jul 22 2010, 12:06 PM) *

If you wern't reffering to the bankruptcy why did you specifically refer to the court case? ohplease.gif

I've been reading through 6WA piecemeal lately and actually I'm favorably impressed. I, like others, would have proffered more time and page space given to the atlas portion of it. However the historical section is useful, especially for handing to new players and letting the bridge the gap between player and character knowledge. It gives a nice in universe stanpoint on what's known. I should likely write a review for Drivethru.
Doc Chase
I'm angling towards doing the same. I just need to stop being lazy.
nylanfs
If Jason would send me a physical copy I would gladly write a review where ever I could! wink.gif
JM Hardy
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Jul 23 2010, 05:59 PM) *
If Jason would send me a physical copy I would gladly write a review where ever I could! wink.gif

Hmmm . . . I shall ponder the terms of this generous bribe . . . er, offer . . . wink.gif

Jason H.
Cain
Hell, I'd do that. I have about half-a-dozen reviews on RPG.net. I may not be the biggest fan of SR4.5, but I'm a fair reviewer and call it like I see it.

And yes, this is a serious offer. Would you subject one of your books to a tough review?
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Cain @ Jul 24 2010, 02:04 AM) *
Hell, I'd do that. I have about half-a-dozen reviews on RPG.net. I may not be the biggest fan of SR4.5, but I'm a fair reviewer and call it like I see it.

And yes, this is a serious offer. Would you subject one of your books to a tough review?

In all seriousness, I've got no problem with people sharing their honest opinions on books. I just don't know that I have spare copies to send around. But it's worth thinking about.

Jason H.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Cain @ Jul 24 2010, 07:04 AM) *

Would you review free stuff?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jul 24 2010, 05:22 AM) *
In all seriousness, I've got no problem with people sharing their honest opinions on books. I just don't know that I have spare copies to send around. But it's worth thinking about.

Jason H.

AS long as we are thinking about it... Count me in... wobble.gif

Congzilla
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 24 2010, 10:21 AM) *

Tampa would have called themselves Tampa Bay since we already refer to the 5 counties surrounding the bay as the Tampa Bay Area. The people in St. Pete would have rioted if St. Pete was renamed just Tampa. I should write up some stuff for around here, it would certainly make a nice sized sprawl even by current metro size. Anyone know the best places to research what has already been written about Florida?
Ancient History
I should go on record as saying that I live in Tampa and therefor hate it with the passion of a thousand, thousand suns. Also, like everyone else in Tampa, we don't give a shit what the people in St. Pete think. smile.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 24 2010, 07:59 AM) *
I should go on record as saying that I live in Tampa and therefor hate it with the passion of a thousand, thousand suns. Also, like everyone else in Tampa, we don't give a shit what the people in St. Pete think. smile.gif

The real question, in 2070, will Fark still have a Florida tag?

BlueMax
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 24 2010, 08:59 AM) *

Heheheh... Well......... Okay then... wobble.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 24 2010, 08:21 AM) *

I will now. Give me a few days, and I'll see what I can come up with.
Ancient History
Kewl beans. Love it or hate it, I appreciate it.
Abstruse
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Jul 24 2010, 10:45 AM) *
The real question, in 2070, will Fark still have a Florida tag?

BlueMax

Fark will ALWAYS have a Florida tag because Florida will always house a disproportionate (per capita) level of idiots.
Congzilla
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jul 24 2010, 03:17 PM) *
Fark will ALWAYS have a Florida tag because Florida will always house a disproportionate (per capita) level of idiots.

I think the destruction of New York sorted that out wink.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 24 2010, 08:54 AM) *
Kewl beans. Love it or hate it, I appreciate it.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I've been embroiled in a nasty custody trial. I've read over PACKS, not I need to give it a trial by fire-- I plan on getting a few people together and seeing how long it takes to create characters using PACKS vs the traditional method.
Ancient History
I was wondering where you were with that.
Cain
Like I said, my apologies. I do plan on getting to it, as soon as life allows. frown.gif
Ancient History
No rush. It's not like I'm paying you for it or anything. 'twould be unseemly to rush something being done for free, and any exposure is good exposure.
[/edit]Just use the newer one, Platinum and the proofers put a lot of good effort in on that.
Penta
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 24 2010, 10:59 AM) *

You hate everywhere you've lived, don't you?nyahnyah.gif
Ancient History
Berkeley was okay. I have very little bad to say about Portland or most of Massachusetts. Basically, I just hate the south. Tracks of the midwest. East coast. West closer lower than San Franisco. Upstate New York state.
Abstruse
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 1 2010, 08:41 PM) *
Berkeley was okay. I have very little bad to say about Portland or most of Massachusetts. Basically, I just hate the south. Tracks of the midwest. East coast. West closer lower than San Franisco. Upstate New York state.

Someone's never been to Austin...it's really nice except for the heat.

Always annoys me when I read about South Austin going more and more to shit in Shadowrun...first it was occupied with Auditorium Shores being used for clandestine meetings, but now everything south of the river is rubble.

BTW, the LAST bridge that would've been blown would've been the South Congress Bridge...the last thing you want to do is piss off Trustafarians and hippies around here and they throw a hissy fit anytime anyone THINKS about even looking at the bats funny.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Aug 2 2010, 04:39 AM) *
Someone's never been to Austin...it's really nice except for the heat.

And, y'know, being in Texas.
Critias
We don't mind when y'all that don't like it here stay out, actually. It suits us just as well as it suits you. It's when you come here and try to change it we get annoyed an' set to shootin' folks. smokin.gif
Ancient History
You people eat at Whataburger. Whataburger fer chrissakes. If it wasn't for Dublin Dr Pepper, I'd write y'all off as the third world nation of the US.
Critias
For what it's worth, I'm more of a Sonic's guy. Whataburger's only for when it's four in the morning and I'm driving home from a gaming session, and nothin' else is open.

But...hey. The Republic's gone solo before. Plenty of us would be fine with goin' it again. wink.gif
Cabral
I still remember my wife's shocked expression that Blue Bell ice cream wasn't available outside of Texas. biggrin.gif

Anyway, pseudo back on topic, my friends and I have always disliked how Texas was treated (though I think that's the consensus for natives of any place detailed in SR) ...
Stahlseele
Curious.
Most of the germany don't seem to mind about the way germany is being shown in shadowrun . .
I mean . . Bavaria has secceeded more or less and we got rid of all the religious nutjobs down there O.o
Grinder
Dude, you're really off track.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012