Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CGL Speculation #10
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Cheops
QUOTE (Cabral @ Aug 2 2010, 11:02 AM) *
(though I think that's the consensus for natives of any place detailed in SR) ...

As a Vancouverite I'm pretty happy with how Vancouver ended up. Then again most of the Vancouver stuff was written by a Vancouverite so maybe we don't count.
Abstruse
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 1 2010, 11:07 PM) *
You people eat at Whataburger. Whataburger fer chrissakes. If it wasn't for Dublin Dr Pepper, I'd write y'all off as the third world nation of the US.

AUSTIN, not Texas...I eat at Fran's/Dan's or P Terry's when I want a fast food burger...
Runner Smurf
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 2 2010, 12:07 AM) *
You people eat at Whataburger. Whataburger fer chrissakes. If it wasn't for Dublin Dr Pepper, I'd write y'all off as the third world nation of the US.

Somebody obviously hasn't spent much time in Louisiana...
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Cabral @ Aug 2 2010, 05:02 AM) *
I still remember my wife's shocked expression that Blue Bell ice cream wasn't available outside of Texas. biggrin.gif

We've got Blue Bell in Indy now. biggrin.gif
Abstruse
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Aug 2 2010, 01:44 PM) *

They started exporting out of Texas about a decade ago. Some of my parents' friends made money by bootlegging Blue Bell in dry ice coolers to Arkansas and Tennessee. I'm not kidding either.
nylanfs
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Aug 2 2010, 02:44 PM) *

I was going to say that I just saw it in the supermarket I go to in Elkhart, IN
eidolon
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Aug 2 2010, 04:05 PM) *
They started exporting out of Texas about a decade ago. Some of my parents' friends made money by bootlegging Blue Bell in dry ice coolers to Arkansas and Tennessee. I'm not kidding either.

That. Is. Awesome.
Abstruse
QUOTE (eidolon @ Aug 2 2010, 04:27 PM) *
That. Is. Awesome.

And apparently very tricky. If you use too much dry ice, the cartons freeze solid and the texture is ruined. Don't use enough and it'll melt. And you HAVE to use dry ice because normal ice will waterlog the cartons and you end up with a cooler full of watery ice cream soup.
Deadmannumberone
A little late now, but if you put the cartons in gallon freezer bags it stops them from becoming waterlogged by conventional ice.
Bull
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Aug 2 2010, 02:44 PM) *

Where at? Considering how everyones raving, if it's right by the convention center it may be worth trying at some point this weekend. (I'm guessing it probably isn't though smile.gif)
Abstruse
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 2 2010, 08:30 PM) *
Where at? Considering how everyones raving, if it's right by the convention center it may be worth trying at some point this weekend. (I'm guessing it probably isn't though smile.gif)

Let's just put it this way...when Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on making super-premium ice cream at home, he used Blue Bell as his example (the label was turned away, but that carton is unmistakable).
BlueMax
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Aug 2 2010, 07:42 PM) *
Let's just put it this way...when Alton Brown did a Good Eats episode on making super-premium ice cream at home, he used Blue Bell as his example (the label was turned away, but that carton is unmistakable).

We make ice cream by hand at our game sessions. Hand crank, so you can go like a K10 cranked up mother fragger when its time.
Ain't seen no fancy 'lectric maker yet that can go fast when you needs it to.
/insert First Ed tribal chief quotes

Oh, and I'll happily take on any fancy store bought ice cream in a taste test.

BlueMax

Stahlseele
Back on topic, the motion asking for the bond(s) was withdrawn by CGL.

Reported by someone else somewhere else.
Rojo
I find it interesting that they ask the 3 creditors to put up 75,000 bond each and then withdraw it?

Does anyone know if the 3 creditors lawyers responded with anything before the motion was withdraw? I havn't bothered to try to get into PACER(think that was the name of it)

I am guessing stuff is going on that isn't public record.

We will most likely see more info as the trail date is still set for next month, I think. They had that timeline about 10 days, 5 days, and 2 days before the trial. I am guessing most of what will be given to the court to be posted on the web once it becomes public record.

Rojo

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 17 2010, 10:24 AM) *
Back on topic, the motion asking for the bond(s) was withdrawn by CGL.

Reported by someone else somewhere else.

MJBurrage
What's this about CGL asking for 75,000 bonds ?
Stahlseele
CGL asked for 25k in bonds from each of the 3 prosecutors, if i remember correctly.
For their trouble of defending themselves in court . .
Neurosis
I think it was actually $75k each, total of $225k for the three of them.
Stahlseele
Ah, ok, numbers are not my friends . .
otakusensei
The whole idea is that if you believe that someone is bringing a suit against you without merit, you can require that they put up a bond to pay the fees in case they loose. In this case it seems like CGL using an amount that comes across as a restricting "pay-to-play" measure to try to get one or more of the three required creditors to disappear and get the suit thrown out. Just legal, but questionable, tactics from the company that sent Loren Coleman to DragonCon to front for them.
jakephillips
SO they have a license for a few more months then what?
darthmord
QUOTE (jakephillips @ Sep 19 2010, 09:55 PM) *
SO they have a license for a few more months then what?

Wait & see. It's all anyone can do at this point.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Sep 17 2010, 09:05 PM) *
The whole idea is that if you believe that someone is bringing a suit against you without merit, you can require that they put up a bond to pay the fees in case they loose. In this case it seems like CGL using an amount that comes across as a restricting "pay-to-play" measure to try to get one or more of the three required creditors to disappear and get the suit thrown out. Just legal, but questionable, tactics from the company that sent Loren Coleman to DragonCon to front for them.

So it is basically saying, are you prepared to ptentially loose 75K to get what monies they believe they are owed. Not a bad move on CGL's part to try. My guess is that it is a negotiating tactic to get the three to agree to a settlement out of court.
otakusensei
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Sep 20 2010, 09:48 AM) *
So it is basically saying, are you prepared to ptentially loose 75K to get what monies they believe they are owed. Not a bad move on CGL's part to try. My guess is that it is a negotiating tactic to get the three to agree to a settlement out of court.

It's moot now, according to AH the deadline to sign has passed without the judge touching it.

At this point I think they would have settled out of court if money was the only issue. I have a feeling that the parties involved would rather IMR go through the whole public process of bankruptcy. I can't blame them given the magnitude of what happened and the response from IMR. Even if they're on their best behavior now it doesn't change the fact that Loren fucked up, did some really heinous things and for all intents and purposes got away with it.
Rojo
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Sep 20 2010, 07:29 AM) *
It's moot now, according to AH the deadline to sign has passed without the judge touching it.

At this point I think they would have settled out of court if money was the only issue. I have a feeling that the parties involved would rather IMR go through the whole public process of bankruptcy. I can't blame them given the magnitude of what happened and the response from IMR. Even if they're on their best behavior now it doesn't change the fact that Loren fucked up, did some really heinous things and for all intents and purposes got away with it.

From what I saw AH post, I think it was withdrawn rather than the judge not acting on it. Then the hearing on the motion would have been this Weds. The info for the judge was due last Weds from the 3 creditors but they didn't file since IMR withdrew the motion. I am looking forward to the date 10 days ahead of the trial when all the doc's are due and then the lawyers get to fight about what doc's are allowed or not.....I wonder how much of the stuff will get posted on-line. Only a few weeks to wait.

Rojo
urgru
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Sep 20 2010, 10:29 AM) *

AH has the procedure on this all wrong. The motion was filed and a proposed order was attached. The opposition filing deadline was 9/15/10. IMR's attorney withdrew the 15th around 4 p.m. Make what you will of the timing, but the motion wasn't somehow mooted by age. Once put before the judge, she was going to have to rule on it. Her choices would have been to sign IMR's proposed order, sign the proposed order the petitioners' would invariably have attached to their memorandum in opposition to the motion, or craft her own.

The timing is interesting, and I'm surprised it took this long for a bond to be requested. I mentioned the possibility that Wildfire would be required to put money in escrow to cover potential fees in some of my first posts re: the legal wrangling. That it took so long to come up and that the motion was withdrawn suggests that negotiations are ongoing.
urgru
Latest from PACER: The petitioners and IMR have reached an agreement to dismiss the involuntary bankruptcy petition, and an unsigned order effecting the dismissal has been forwarded to Judge Overstreet. The case should closed today or early next week (depending on when the Judge is actually in chambers and signing orders). Don't expect any details of the settlement.
Stahlseele
And a link to the Document which came up somewhere else:
http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscour...504666.30.0.pdf
Neurosis
So basically they settled out of court?
Stahlseele
*nods*
Neurosis
So--and I hope this isn't an impossible naive question--does this mean it's *over*?

Aside from the possibility of Topps eventually withdrawing the license, does this mean that the scandal is finally done with? That all the belligerent parties are basically going their separate ways?
Stahlseele
seems like it, yes . .
the money is still gone and coleman still did not have to appologize.
Neurosis
You know, as an interesting aside, I don't think that there is anything in the US legal system that can force someone to apologize, ever, for anything. Sure there are situations where it's CONVENTIONAL to apologize, and celebrities do it all the time, but I don't think that the law actually has the power to make someone say they're sorry.
Jaid
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Oct 15 2010, 05:01 PM) *
So--and I hope this isn't an impossible naive question--does this mean it's *over*?

Aside from the possibility of Topps eventually withdrawing the license, does this mean that the scandal is finally done with? That all the belligerent parties are basically going their separate ways?

well, that isn't something we can know for certain. consider that part of the argument was how many creditors CGL has... we don't know the exact number, but i believe it has been stated as being more than 12. 3 were involved in the suit. that means that there are still 9+ who *could* theoretically try something (though it is probably not unreasonable to suppose that they are unlikely to do so).

also, of course, both sides have to live up to the terms of the settlement, presumably.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Oct 15 2010, 02:04 PM) *
You know, as an interesting aside, I don't think that there is anything in the US legal system that can force someone to apologize, ever, for anything. Sure there are situations where it's CONVENTIONAL to apologize, and celebrities do it all the time, but I don't think that the law actually has the power to make someone say they're sorry.

Well, celebrities are often given community service work where they publically speak out against their previous actions.

"My name is Loren L. Coleman and I'm here to talk to you about ripping off your company and its investors for hundreds of thousands of dollars. It turns out that people will call you names and that will basically be the end of it... So don't do that.."
kzt
"Every day, as I climb into my BMW for the drive home to my 6000 SF fully paid off mansion in an exclusive development, it saddens me that people on the Internet call me names."
Neurosis
Crime....doesn't....pay?
Prime Mover
White collar crime pay's very well. As long as the govt. not looking to make its once a decade example of corporate evil. (ie A company thats pissed off other important companies/banks.)
Pepsi Jedi
Hurm. I stopped reading around thread 7 or 8.... Anyone wanna sum up 8-10 for me, please?
kzt
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Oct 16 2010, 11:54 AM) *
Hurm. I stopped reading around thread 7 or 8.... Anyone wanna sum up 8-10 for me, please?

Ever see "Chinatown"?
urgru
FYI: Final nail is in the coffin. The judge signed the dismissal order on the 18th and both parties have been served notice. Case closed.
Dr.Rockso
And I can't stop thinking that deep in his mansion LLC must be laughing, twirling his mustache with glee.
ravensmuse
Oh, I do agree with that, Rockso; but bad people eventually have bad things happen to them, whether with external help, or not.

At least, that's what I believe, Mister Coleman.

I also believe that I shall continue no longer purchasing your books.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Oct 21 2010, 07:54 PM) *
And I can't stop thinking that deep in his mansion LLC must be laughing, twirling his mustache with glee.

So who did he tie up and leave on the train tracks? nyahnyah.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Oct 21 2010, 07:54 PM) *

Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Oct 21 2010, 02:07 PM) *

The future of Shadowrun nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
The Freelancers for example.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 21 2010, 02:11 PM) *

QFT. An even better answer.
ravensmuse
Yeah, I think I can agree with that.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Oct 21 2010, 08:11 PM) *
The future of Shadowrun nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Stahlseele)

Ha! Good answers.
Stahlseele
And now for something a bit more unsettling:
Frank Trollman in the role of the dashing saviour . .
*runs for his life*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012