Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 5 Errata
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Patrick Goodman
This thread is meant for errata questions, typos, and things of that nature. Since I'm going to be going through here and gathering this stuff up and compiling it, I'd really like to keep this thread as close to laser-like in focus as is possible. To that end, I'd appreciate any arguments over rules concepts and stuff to be taken elsewhere.

Something like, "Page 98, in the Additional Purchases table: Is 'Registering Spirits' supposed to be 'Registering Sprites'?" is good.

Something like, "Limits suck! Get rid of them!" is bad.

So have at it. Just be concise, focused, and polite. This is time away from my family, and if I don't see the benefit I'll drop it like a hot rock.
Patrick Goodman
An addendum: Just as a reminder, the previews are from the actual book as it currently exists, so if all you have is the previews, you can still help me out here.
Medicineman
What about the Errors from the Previews (Dwarfes with no Thermo Vision or Trolls with 50 % Cyberwarecost increase) ?

with the right Dance
Medicineman

Looking Up to Patricks 2nd Post
Ahh Ok, Thanks for the clearifying smile.gif
LurkerOutThere
Power Point cost? Also are power points essentially supposed to be completely independant/complementary of the mystic adepts spell casting magic rating? Was that a design oversight or is it as intended?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jun 22 2013, 10:25 AM) *
What about the Errors from the Previews (Dwarfes with no Thermo Vision or Trolls with 50 % Cyberwarecost increase) ?

Those two are most definitely on the list.
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jun 22 2013, 10:25 AM) *
Power Point cost? Also are power points essentially supposed to be completely independant/complementary of the mystic adepts spell casting magic rating? Was that a design oversight or is it as intended?

Mystic adept power points at chargen are being looked at; the others are likely better explained in the magic section, but I could be wrong. I'll throw these to the appropriate people so we can get them addressed. You should go get some sleep.
LurkerOutThere
If this goes beyond scope I apologize and will redact to keep things on track: All devices that don't explicitly have a firewall/data processing rating have it at their device rating? SO the intent is that a 5k Transys Avalon is comparable on defense to a 214K Tenraku Tsurugi and Flat out superior then the Hermes Chariot and Novatech Navigator?
Daedelus
+ armor items: As the stacking rules read in the preview you can put on enough + armor items to exceed your strength and take the penalty, but you do not benefit from doing so. It states that "(t)he maximum bonus a character receive from these items is limited to their Strength attribute. For every 2 full points by which the bonus exceeds the character’s Strength, the character suffers a –1 penalty to Agility and Reaction."
If this is as intended the penalty portion is irrelevant from a rules perspective because you can never benefit from over burdening yourself with armor anyway. This would also free up valuable text space in the book that can be used to clear up other areas. And if it is not then the verbiage needs to be tweaked to make it clear that you can have more +armor, but that you take a penalty for having the benefit.
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Page 278, Preview 5)
Magic has a starting value from 1 to 6 (or 7 with the Exceptional Attribute quality), but you don’t have to settle for that limit forever. You can go through a process called Initiation (p. 324) that can enhance your abilities. The maximum value of your Magic Attribute (if you have one) is 6 + your Initiation level.

... is 6 (or 7 with the Exceptional Attribute quality) + your Initiation level.
Daedelus
Pg. 164, Prieview 4: "During his Action Phase, a character may take two Simple Actions, though only one can be an attack action. A character may also take a Free Action with the two Simple Actions."

In the final version is there a list/chart that specifies which actions are "Attack Actions"? This will cause a great deal of discussion and argument at organized play tables if left to the subjective opinions of various GMs and players.
Bull
QUOTE (Daedelus @ Jun 22 2013, 10:52 AM) *
+ armor items: As the stacking rules read in the preview you can put on enough + armor items to exceed your strength and take the penalty, but you do not benefit from doing so. It states that "(t)he maximum bonus a character receive from these items is limited to their Strength attribute. For every 2 full points by which the bonus exceeds the character’s Strength, the character suffers a –1 penalty to Agility and Reaction."
If this is as intended the penalty portion is irrelevant from a rules perspective because you can never benefit from over burdening yourself with armor anyway. This would also free up valuable text space in the book that can be used to clear up other areas. And if it is not then the verbiage needs to be tweaked to make it clear that you can have more +armor, but that you take a penalty for having the benefit.

You get no direct armor benefit from stacking armor above your threshold (or wearing layered armor). But...

Keep in mind that armor sometimes provides more than simply armor. You can have modifications on the armor that provide resistances to elemental damage and the like. So while you can only use one set of armor stats, and you're taking some penalties, it might be worth the penalties to have both fire resistance and electrical resistance handy.

This rule also sets the ground work for future armor expansion stuff.
Bull
QUOTE (Daedelus @ Jun 22 2013, 12:09 PM) *
Pg. 164, Prieview 4: "During his Action Phase, a character may take two Simple Actions, though only one can be an attack action. A character may also take a Free Action with the two Simple Actions."

In the final version is there a list/chart that specifies which actions are "Attack Actions"? This will cause a great deal of discussion and argument at organized play tables if left to the subjective opinions of various GMs and players.

Such a list would be very long and very complex, because some actions can be both, depending on how they are used.

It's fairly straightforward, IMO. If it's anything that's used offensively against another character (PC or NPC), it's an attack. If it's defensive, it's not an attack.

There are a million possible exceptions to every single thing you can list as one or the other, so to try and list them all would be a near impossible task. The guidelines are there. But at the end of the day, just use some common sense. And in my opinion, if you think it might be an attack, it probably is.

Bull
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 22 2013, 06:44 PM) *
... is 6 (or 7 with the Exceptional Attribute quality) + your Initiation level.

no exceptional attribute for
magic
resonance
initiative
essence
Bull
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 22 2013, 05:36 PM) *
no exceptional attribute for
magic
resonance
initiative
essence

You can actually take Exceptional Attribute for Magic and Resonance now. But not for INitiative and Essence, no.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 23 2013, 01:16 AM) *
You can actually take Exceptional Attribute for Magic and Resonance now. But not for INitiative and Essence, no.

Buh WHA? O.o
Bull
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 22 2013, 07:17 PM) *
Buh WHA? O.o

It's a whole new world. smile.gif

You can only take this with Gamemaster Approval, but we allow it for Missions. It's a little bit expensive overall, and thus far I haven't made a straight-up character that's taken it due to that. But I'm also not a complete min-muncher either, so I'm certain I'm "doing it wrong". smile.gif
RHat
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 22 2013, 02:34 PM) *
Such a list would be very long and very complex, because some actions can be both, depending on how they are used.

It's fairly straightforward, IMO. If it's anything that's used offensively against another character (PC or NPC), it's an attack. If it's defensive, it's not an attack.

There are a million possible exceptions to every single thing you can list as one or the other, so to try and list them all would be a near impossible task. The guidelines are there. But at the end of the day, just use some common sense. And in my opinion, if you think it might be an attack, it probably is.

Bull

Sure, an exhaustive list is impractical. But I'm sure you can understand why some of us might like to see at least a guideline in the rules.
Fatum
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 23 2013, 03:16 AM) *
Then it's an error that needs fixing: you can have Magic higher than 6+Initiation grade.
Bull
This is how I currently have it defined for the Missions FAQ:

In combat it says I can only make one attack action. What exactly does this mean?

It means don’t get cute and try to play word games. Barring using the Multiple Attacks Free Action (in which you split your dice pool to attack multiple targets), you cannot take a second offensive actions toward another character during your pass. This means throwing grenades, shooting guns, casting spells (recklessly or otherwise), spitting in their cheerios, spiking their tea with arsenic, or anything else that could be construed as a physical or mental attack in any way, shape or form. However, you may take a free action to cast disparaging remarks at their mothers if you so choose.

If you’re not certain if an action would be an attack, well, it probably is. But ask yourself if they used it against you would it be an attack? And if you’re still not certain, ask your gamemaster. However, be warned, if you try and argue with him he is authorized to smack you upside the head with the Shadowrun, Fifth Edition book.

How much damage does the SR5 book do, anyway?

The Origins Special Edition is softback, so only does Strength(S) damage. The regular hardback edition does Strength+1(P). The Limited Edition Hardback does Strength+2(P) with -1 AP.

(And just in case it's not entirely clear by adding SR Damage Values for the core rulebook, that's meant to be slightly tongue in cheek. Unless needed, in which case it's meant to empower the GM to depower to player. smile.gif)
Bull
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jun 22 2013, 09:41 PM) *
Then it's an error that needs fixing: you can have Magic higher than 6+Initiation grade.

Why is it an error? It's an exception to the standard rule. After all the book makes it perfectly clear in several places that the maximum unaugmented strength a human can have is 6. So are you saying that Exceptional Attribute is an error for them as well?

(Also, I'm assuming you meant can't have there. Otherwise... Umm... I'm not certain what you're disagreeing with smile.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 23 2013, 06:48 AM) *
Why is it an error? It's an exception to the standard rule. After all the book makes it perfectly clear in several places that the maximum unaugmented strength a human can have is 6. So are you saying that Exceptional Attribute is an error for them as well?

(Also, I'm assuming you meant can't have there. Otherwise... Umm... I'm not certain what you're disagreeing with smile.gif
(note that I'm going by previews)
If Exceptional Attribute states outright that the usual limits like 6+Initiation Grade do not apply, it's okay, of course.
Otherwise, you can have Magic higher than 6+Initiation grade despite the rule stating the contrary.
Giabralter
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jun 22 2013, 04:25 PM) *

Mystic Adepts purchase power points independant of their magic rating. So no free power points equal to magic rating as physical Adepts.
RHat
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jun 22 2013, 08:01 PM) *
Take your wife to the emergency room and spend all afternoon there, and the thread starts to get out of hand.

Holy crap, man - is everything okay?

And I move that should anyone further derail this topic, well... Let's just say damage values for the rulebook have been provided.
Werewindlefr
Street Samurai has an illegal strength rating on his arm (11 for a strength of 5).
Sendaz
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jun 22 2013, 10:58 PM) *
(note that I'm going by previews)
If Exceptional Attribute states outright that the usual limits like 6+Initiation Grade do not apply, it's okay, of course.
Otherwise, you can have Magic higher than 6+Initiation grade despite the rule stating the contrary.

Then this sounds like a good one for the Errata: Could they include a a bit showing that the Exceptional Attribute may supersede the normal Magic/Resonance limit.

I know you are saying with GM approval, but really if its good enough for Missions, most players will take that to mean it's suitable for regular play.
Mäx
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 23 2013, 04:48 AM) *
Why is it an error?

The post 8 of this topic lists the actual error in the book.
QUOTE (Giabralter @ Jun 23 2013, 06:04 AM) *
Mystic Adepts purchase power points independant of their magic rating. So no free power points equal to magic rating as physical Adepts.

Only at chargen.
Bull
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 23 2013, 08:38 AM) *
The post 8 of this topic lists the actual error in the book.

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 23 2013, 05:20 AM) *
Then this sounds like a good one for the Errata: Could they include a a bit showing that the Exceptional Attribute may supersede the normal Magic/Resonance limit.
I know you are saying with GM approval, but really if its good enough for Missions, most players will take that to mean it's suitable for regular play.

Again, not an error.

It's explicit in the wording of Exceptional attribute. I posted the text in this thread here: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=39008
Sendaz
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 23 2013, 11:44 AM) *
Again, not an error.

It's explicit in the wording of Exceptional attribute. I posted the text in this thread here: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=39008

Cool, must have missed that one.
Mäx
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 23 2013, 06:44 PM) *
Again, not an error.

It's bad writing at the very least to mention the difference Exceptional attribute makes for starting attribute and not mention it on the initiation related max magic formula.
And thus worthy of errating IMHO.
Shemhazai
In Preview 4, Damage section, I didn't see anything explicitly saying that characters fall unconscious when their damage tracks fill up.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 23 2013, 03:06 PM) *
In Preview 4, Damage section, I didn't see anything explicitly saying that characters fall unconscious when their damage tracks fill up.

That is a good point, especially for a new player.

I was thinking like a regular and just assumed it was obvious, but would it be for a new guy?
Stahlseele
if he has enough hits on a certain test, yes, all of the above.
sds
Hope some of these can be used

From Preview 2
Page 49. Under teamwork tests it says that each assistant that scores at least one hit the relevant limit is increased by one. In the example Pete gets no hits and Sorsha gets one, and proceeds to add 2 to both limit and dice pool. The way I read it it should be 1 to each. A better example would be to increase Sorshas hits to 2. Adding 1 to the limit and 2 to the dice pool

Page 51: Attributes, second paragraph. "For humans, all attributes are between 1 and 6..." Edge goes to 7 though.

Page 51: Under Agility. "It also is critical in non..." To my non-english ears "It is also critical in non..." sounds better, wrong as I may be

Page 51: Last sentence. "...and how much power they can draw down to help them...". Suggestion: "... and how much power they can draw upon to help them..."

Page 56: Third paragraph from the bottom, last sentence "BThe Loyalty rating ranges fro, 1 to 6," The first B should probably be removed, and "from" instead of "fro".

Page 57: Smackdown. What are the effect on an Opposed test if both parties use it? Or both attacker and defender burns a point of edge

Usage of Hacker vs. Decker. I was under the impression from page 53 under Matrix that those-who-gains-unlawful-access-to-Matrix-nodes were once more called Deckers. But Hacker is used several times just in preview 2. Are both used interchangeably or did I misunderstood page 53?

Br
Peter
tasti man LH
QUOTE (sds @ Jun 23 2013, 12:21 PM) *
Usage of Hacker vs. Decker. I was under the impression from page 53 under Matrix that those-who-gains-unlawful-access-to-Matrix-nodes were once more called Deckers. But Hacker is used several times just in preview 2. Are both used interchangeably or did I misunderstood page 53?

Way back in one of the dev blogs, when talking about SR5 Matrix, they said that while hackers are going to go back to being deckers, the term "hacker" would be an umbrella term for all Matrix-based characters. So both deckers and technomancers are considered "hackers".
KarmaInferno
The Crockett EBR description is next to an illustration labeled "Alamo EBR".

Also, is it really supposed to use Longarms skill while switched to Battle Rifle mode? It would make more sense to use Longarms in sniper mode and Automatics in BR mode. As written, since it's categorized as a sniper rifle, you use Longarms for both.

-k
LurkerOutThere
Street Sam pregen has no contacts
Chance359
When the pdf comes out can we get a break down on the priorities for each archetype? I could ballpark it, but it seems like something that should be included.
SCARed
just two questions concerning the fifth preview:

first, something on assensing: On page 312 in the chapter "Astral Signature", you state that for reading an signature, you need to make an Assensing+MAGIC test. this stands in contrast to the the next chapter, where you make an Assensing+Intuition-test for general assensing.

is the first test a typo/mistake or do you need to make two tests, when dealing with astral signatures? the first one with INT to see the signature at all and then a second one to actually "read" the signature? if it was that way, why reference to the assensing table in the signature-chapter? plus you would need 7 hits in your signature-read-test to get further infos other than: "there is an signature", because you need 4 hits for infos, plus the threshold of [3] in the reading-test.

and another one on astral tracking: is this just me or are awakend chars screwed, if they ever loose a focus or something like this, which carries their signaure permanently? even Joe Averagemage with assensing 3 and INT 3 as well as MAG 3 can stay for 6 hours astral, which grants him at least five tests (on hour reserve to return to his body!). if the target is not hiding permanantly behind some heavy astral barriers (6+), he is toast in a wimp. and Joe is not really good at tracking. he will aggregate two to three hits per hour, giving him something like 10 to 15 hits in his 5 hours (there are no negative dice pool modifiers for the tracking test - but perhaps degrading dicepools help here, if used). this way he even has a chance to counter barriers up to force 9, which I find really strong. give Joe one or two more ranks in MAG and he will counter even stronger barriers, as he can track much longer. I hope you can see the point.

but maybe the preview is just missing some countermeasures (metamagic or somethig alike), which will be explained by the full rulesbook.
LurkerOutThere
Pg. 252 Infusions of Matrix Atrribute in addition to being oddly named contains the phrase "by this spell".
j2klbs
It is unclear (at least to me) whether charging/sprinting bonuses last for the remainder of the combat turn or just until one's next initiative pass action.

~j2klbs
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Preview 4, Page 171)
When something catches fire, the fire has an initial Damage Value of 3. This damage is caused at the end of each Combat Turn, and the DV increases by 1 at the start of each subsequent Combat Turn until the item is completely destroyed or the fire is put out. You can fight the fire a number of ways (water, smothering, etc.), making an Agility + Intuition Test and reducing the fire’s DV by 1 for each hit.

QUOTE (Preview 4, Page 172)
Wombat catches fire. At the end of the Combat Turn Wombat has not put out the fire and has to resist 3P damage. In his next Action Phase Wombat decides to try to put out the fire with the classic stop, drop, and roll. The gamemaster calls it a Complex Action with a Drop Prone free action and asks for an Agility roll modified by his wounds. Wombat hits the dirt, rolls—and fails. Another Action Phase comes up and Wombat keeps trying. This time he gets 1 hit, still not enough to put out the fire but enough to lessen it a little. At the end of this Combat Turn Wombat faces 2P damage again.

I think that the increased DV at the end of the first Combat Turn was forgotten in the example. Also, I think the "Agility roll" should be fully qualified. Agility x 2? Agility + Intuition?
RHat
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 25 2013, 03:21 PM) *
I think that the increased DV at the end of the first Combat Turn was forgotten in the example. Also, I think the "Agility roll" should be fully qualified. Agility x 2? Agility + Intuition?

The damage is increased at the end of each subsequent turn, meaning that the first increase is on the end of the second turn - the turn on which the fire was started is not subsequent to itself.

Also, "Agility roll" would be just Agility.
KarmaInferno
In Gear, the Periscope weapon accessory:

The periscope reduces the normal -3 for shooting around corners to a -2.

The Wireless Bonus... also reduces the penalty to -2.

I'm guessing one or the other is in error?

-k
branford
Hello from a long time lurker. . .

Errata:

Preview #3, SR5, p. 70:

Kyra selected "Magic or Resonance" - Priority A. Nevertheless, her stat block is missing any reference to her "Magic 6" under Special Attributes (so far).

BTW, I want to thank Patrick, Bull, Aaron and Critias (and anyone else affiliated with SR) for answering questions and participating in the forums. Your great patience, understanding and emotional stamina is most impressive. biggrin.gif
Moirdryd
Preview 5. The Spellcasting process "Choose Force" sets Force as Limit for Hits Before determining if you're overcast going from Stun to physical. The "Drain" section fails to mention force, merely declaring that Hits in th casting roll in excess of Magic makes the Drain Physical.

I'm guessing the second part is an omission and the Choose Force section is correct?
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Preview 4, Page 171)
When something catches fire, the fire has an initial Damage Value of 3. This damage is caused at the end of each Combat Turn, and the DV increases by 1 at the start of each subsequent Combat Turn until the item is completely destroyed or the fire is put out. You can fight the fire a number of ways (water, smothering, etc.), making an Agility + Intuition Test and reducing the fire’s DV by 1 for each hit.

QUOTE (Preview 4, Page 172)
Wombat catches fire. At the end of the Combat Turn Wombat has not put out the fire and has to resist 3P damage. In his next Action Phase Wombat decides to try to put out the fire with the classic stop, drop, and roll. The gamemaster calls it a Complex Action with a Drop Prone free action and asks for an Agility roll modified by his wounds. Wombat hits the dirt, rolls—and fails. Another Action Phase comes up and Wombat keeps trying. This time he gets 1 hit, still not enough to put out the fire but enough to lessen it a little. At the end of this Combat Turn Wombat faces 2P damage again.

This has been discussed in the Pre-errata thread and something of a consensus has formed.

It appears that the increased DV at the start of the subsequent Combat Turn was forgotten in the example. Shouldn't the DV have gone to 4 at the beginning of that turn, and then extinguished back down to 3?

Also, I think the "Agility roll" should be looked at. Either it's an Agility + Intuition Test as in the rules, or the GM ruled otherwise. In the latter case, perhaps "...and asks for an Agility roll (rather than Agility + Intuition roll) modified by his wounds."
KarmaInferno
It would appear that pure Adepts qualify to take the Sorcery, Conjuring, and Enchanting skills, as the only restriction seems to be "has a Magic attribute".

Not sure if that qualifies as a mistake or not.

-k
Patrick Goodman
Everything in this thread to this point is either being discussed or is about to be (once I get off my butt and post it). Just to let y'all know.
bannockburn
More power to you smile.gif
Valerian
In preview 6,

In the table of content, there is no entry for "spirit" in the critters chapiter.

Nevertheless, I don't know if it's a typo or if the spirit description was moved to the conjuring chapiter...
Bull
QUOTE (Valerian @ Jul 7 2013, 04:07 PM) *
In preview 6,

In the table of content, there is no entry for "spirit" in the critters chapiter.

Nevertheless, I don't know if it's a typo or if the spirit description was moved to the conjuring chapiter...

Spirits are in the Magic chapter under Summoning.

Edit Just to clarify, they're in the actual book in the spirit section. pp. 303-304, the 6 core Spirit types. They're not specifically listed in the Index though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012