Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SoA2064] Sota 64 Finally
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
TheDude
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 12 2004, 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Oct 11 2004, 11:48 PM)
Personally, I wouldn't mind some of that coming back, but perhaps not as strongly as before.

I think this is what you're seeing. A combination of fun in jokes and a nod to all of us that love the ley lines to Earthdawn with a sensible spoonful approach. But I could be full of drek.

The hellcow incident isn't the only "lost" link in the book. Actually the Culture Shock chapter begins with a bigger one. Remember this?

To Robert Page, I leave my copy of an ancient text that proves elves are not the only race to possess a unique language. Take pride in your heritage and continue to promote the rights of your people, for the orks have always fought to rise above the position in which others would keep them. May this document aid your struggle up from below.

There is a pretty big one in the Adept section as well.

At least, it seems that way to me, but I am an Earthdawn junky and 11 year GM biggrin.gif . If I am going to write for SR, I have to throw in a few such references.
TheDude
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 11 2004, 05:42 PM)
However, I don't agree with your premise that for most adepts Centering will continue to be the "obvious" pick amongst all the metamagics now at their disposal (and even that Cognition is the obvious second choice when it has to compete with Infusion and Somatic Control).

I made no such premise about Cognition being th obvious second choice. I merely stated that the cost of Centering itself should not be a factor whe discussing the cost of Cognition. Most Initiated Adepts will get Centering at some stage, mainly because there are so many Powers based on it, and so few choices other than Centering that fit many character concepts.

I think what Synner was trying to point out is that you have to factor Centering into the cost - it's a prerequisite.

I think you make a valid point that a large percentage of adepts choose Centering as a meta, but it doesn't change the fact you can't get Cognition without it.
Synner
QUOTE (The Dude)
I think what Synner was trying to point out is that you have to factor Centering into the cost - it's a prerequisite.
I think you make a valid point that a large percentage of adepts choose Centering as a meta, but it doesn't change the fact you can't get Cognition without it.

What he said, again.

Whether or not the adept was going to pick up Centering is ultimately irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. Which was simply that, even taking the shortest route, the adept has to pick up about 30 points of karma in actual play (and spend them on the "right" choices) to get access to a metamagic technique Cognition and its benefits. Any other development choices / karma expenditures delays the point at which the ability is developed and may increase the karma cost even further (if it isn't a second initiation choice but a third or a fourth one). Unless you're playing in a high-karma game, and using average canon payouts as a baseline, this means an average 4 adventures before the ability and its effects are a factor.

People seem to be concentrating on the fact that after all that it'll be unbalancing if it grants you a fixed Karma save of 1 when increasing skills which can be cumulative with an ME bonus. Personally I expected the other effects of Cognition to be seen as much more useful and possibly subject to twinker abuse.

BTW Fortune, you got your wish. Page 43.
Fortune
Tres Cool! biggrin.gif

I wasn't taking issue with Cognition at all. Merely with your computation of it's cost. I still maintain that it isn't valid to include Centering, as it is still a separate Metamagic on its own, with its own not-inconsiderable advantages.

I understand what you are trying to get at though. I do acknowledge that Centering itself does require two skills, plus at least one Initiation, all in all being quite expensive. The fact that Cognition cannot be acquired until after the Adept learns Centering does indeed make it a Karma-intensive purchase, if cost calculation is extrapolated from chargen. I think my point was that there are already a lot of Adepts out there with Centering (simply because there was few other choices - good or bad). For them the bulk of the costs in your calculation have already been payed.

As I have stated a few times though, you guys did a good job, especially in regards to material that was guaranteed to raise controversy.
Pthgar
The hellcow incident isn't the only "lost" link in the book. Actually the Culture Shock chapter begins with a bigger one. Remember this?

To Robert Page, I leave my copy of an ancient text that proves elves are not the only race to possess a unique language. Take pride in your heritage and continue to promote the rights of your people, for the orks have always fought to rise above the position in which others would keep them. May this document aid your struggle up from below. 

Oh yeah, Or'zet. I kinda lost the forest for the shrubbery, if you know what I mean. I look so hard for little dribs and drabs of connections that I miss the huge ones.

As to discussing SR, sure but the back and forth gets to me after a while. No offense meant.
Fortune
None taken (now wink.gif).

In my opinion, the 'back and forth' serves to familiarize people with the rules, maybe even giving them a different perspective than they would normally have had without input from the rest of the forum. For instance, I'm a little more comfortable with some (but not all) of the Social Powers than I was in upon the initially reading. smile.gif
RangerJoe
I just wanted to pop in to say great job to the SOTA64 team. Just got my copy today, and I've perused up through the end of the adept section. Having never played an adept before, I've now got literally half a dozen character ideas bouncing around my head to make use of the new powers. Any book that can get players excited about new character types and new games is a great success.
mfb
indeed. the adept section alone puts this book in my top ten SR books.

you know what i just realized makes the culture shock section so good, especially the top ten lists? the tightness of the writing, and the sparseness of the exposition. it doesn't go into overly-exhaustive detail; it just lays out the pertinent facts and forces you connect the dots yourself.
Bane
QUOTE (Pthgar)

Oh yeah, Or'zet. I kinda lost the forest for the shrubbery, if you know what I mean. I look so hard for little dribs and drabs of connections that I miss the huge ones.

As to discussing SR, sure but the back and forth gets to me after a while. No offense meant.

Along these same lines, I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Ares snagged a certain something from the will, also.

...or maybe someone did and I missed it.
mfb
no one's answered, so i'm gonna go for my own bonus points. the Johnson for the Chico-Oroville incident was, i believe, one LTC Lloyd Ritter, aka Grey Knight, part-time shadowrunner and part-time asskicker for Ares' military assets.

here's something funny, about Ritter: his rank. in YotC (2061), he's listed as a Lieutenant Colonel. in SOTA:63, though, it calls him a Colonel. now, it's easily possible that he got a promotion between '61 and '63--except that, in the shadowtalk, someone says that he was a Major only six months ago! even if you explained away the LTC-Colonel discrepancy with the fact that LTCs are sometimes referred to, in less formal settings, as "Colonel so-and-so", you've still got the oddity of Ritter going from an LTC in '61, to a Major in '62, and back to LTC in '63. that sort of rank-hopping is possible, but it'd sure be interesting to hear the backstory, there.
Crimsondude 2.0
Typo?
mfb
indeed. i'm forever typing "six months" when i mean to type "two years and six months"!

that's a pretty minor oops, though. i tend to follow Ritter's official career, which is why i picked up on it.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, then... Ask spud.

I can think of a character who was supposedly supposed to be a Major, but it isn't Ritter.
Canid13
you don't pay the difference to go from a force 4 manaball to a force 5, they are separate spells

Are you sure?? I don't remember seeing anything about this, and I know that the rules state you can chose the force at which you want to cast a spell when you cast it - a mage with Force 8 Manabolt doesn't have to cast it at Force 8 every time.

I don't remember the exact page number, but it's in the section about Sorcery where it talks about the 'preparation' phase of casting a spell - the one where you decide what dice to add where.
Rock-Steady
QUOTE (Canid13)
you don't pay the difference to go from a force 4 manaball to a force 5, they are separate spells

Are you sure?? I don't remember seeing anything about this, and I know that the rules state you can chose the force at which you want to cast a spell when you cast it - a mage with Force 8 Manabolt doesn't have to cast it at Force 8 every time.

He is.

If you got a force 4 Spell and want it at force 5 you have to buy it again at that force. Maybe the rulebook makes that not clear but the german FAQ does.
Canid13
Do you mean for Karma purposes or will you end up actually knowing spells at several different maximum forces??
Rock-Steady
QUOTE (Canid13)
will you end up actually knowing spells at several different maximum forces??

Short and simple:

Yes.
Canid13
Then what's the point of being able to decide the spell's force when you cast it.

I'll look this up myself, as it doesn't sound right.
Rock-Steady
QUOTE (Canid13)
Then what's the point of being able to decide the spell's force when you cast it.

I'll look this up myself, as it doesn't sound right.

Let's try it that way:

Say you had a spell with force 6 and magic attribute 6. Now you lost one point of magic and end up with magic 5. When you cast that force 6 spell, the drain will be physical damage. So you can say "Ok i will cast it only with force 5 to avoid physical drain damage.". And the drain code itself will lower too.

Dont know another way to explain this. *g*
Pistons
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Oct 13 2004, 12:10 AM)
Well, then... Ask spud.

I can think of a character who was supposedly supposed to be a Major, but it isn't Ritter.

Well, spud would know his own character as he plays him. The only problem is that since he was put into YotC, he became "up for grabs" so far as writing him. The changing ranks is an interesting thing, though. I'm pretty sure he's still supposed to be an LTC so far as anything official in regard to Ares is concerned, but there's also the fact of his real standing with them--he can still be busted down or boosted up rank at any time with little to no appreciable difference.
Blue eyes
Still waiting on my copy to arrive in a couple of days, can't wait.

Can anybody please tell me which european magical traditions are covered in the book?

Canid13
I get that Rock Steady, but it means your spell list ends up with Manabolt 4, Manabolt 5, Manabolt 7, Stunbolt 5 and Stunball 7.

How what's the point of that?? Cos right now, I see no point in having to duplicate a spell. Why not just relearn it - pays your full Karma cost but save space on paper, and in your memory cos eventually there's gotta be a limit on what you can learn - no mechanic but it makes sense there would eventually be - we are talking the (meta)human brain here.
Rock-Steady
QUOTE (Canid13)
I get that Rock Steady, but it means your spell list ends up with Manabolt 4, Manabolt 5, Manabolt 7, Stunbolt 5 and Stunball 7.

How what's the point of that?? Cos right now, I see no point in having to duplicate a spell. Why not just relearn it - pays your full Karma cost but save space on paper, and in your memory cos eventually there's gotta be a limit on what you can learn - no mechanic but it makes sense there would eventually be - we are talking the (meta)human brain here.

*g*

That's the same. Fact is that i have to pay full karma for a higher force spell.

But like you said i can "forget" the lower ones and only write the highest spell on my sheet.

I see no logic in that either...*g*
Canid13
That's okay then :o)

With regards to the magic variants, there's hermietic druidism, druidism, Wicca, witches and a few others. Christian magic is also present, with a bit of info over and above what's in MITS.

One thing though, what's a Chaos Mage?
Cochise
Chaos Mage: Special type of hermetic. Basis of his belief system is the chaos theory ...
JongWK

Finally, someone notices it. biggrin.gif

Oh, by the way, I hope the Red Sox fans enjoy the Baseball entry. wink.gif
Artemus
Just got my copy yesterday. Absolutely loved the Adept Section. Can't see what's wrong with it - but I am an Adept fan so we'll leave it at that.

The Culture Shock section is very good. Especially the top ten lists. Can't believe no one mentioned Novatech's troubles thought that was a good advancement of the Art Dunkwalther plot.

I am still reading it, but so far what I read I like.

Birdy
QUOTE (Artemus)
Just got my copy yesterday. Absolutely loved the Adept Section. Can't see what's wrong with it - but I am an Adept fan so we'll leave it at that.

The Culture Shock section is very good. Especially the top ten lists. Can't believe no one mentioned Novatech's troubles thought that was a good advancement of the Art Dunkwalther plot.

Well, the section is in there. That's what is wrong with it. On the other hand the "Magic, mooooooooooooore Magic" approach of "Maggierun" has turned off so many gamers, that I currently have two complete groups playing Cyberpunk.

So: Please FanPro, keep up boosting the Mages and screwing the Mundanes

Birdy
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (Artemus @ Oct 13 2004, 04:20 PM)

Well, the section is in there. That's what is wrong with it. On the other hand the "Magic, mooooooooooooore Magic" approach of "Maggierun" has turned off so many gamers, that I currently have two complete groups playing Cyberpunk.

Birdy

And people wonder why so many freelancers give up on the gaming trade. This is why, ladies and gentlemen (and for some of you, I use those terms very loosely). We bust our asses for ridiculously low amounts of money trying to do something cool, in response to metric fucktons of requests for something, and then all people do is bitch about it. I know we can't please everyone all the time, but Christ!
Canid13
It is appreciated, and most of us appreciate that you won't please us all the time, but least we're still here and playing the game :o) Course, more cyberware and bioware wouldn't go amiss :o)

Are there any game rules for Chaos Mages?

I'm reading on the Ork language now, but I'm glad the Laughing Man and Orange Queen have shown up in some of these, especially this section. And spell matrices.... whoa!
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Birdy)

Birdy

And this, my dear friends, is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about when I mentioned that certain things are pointless to post.

Clearly, this does not represent an opinion the poster believes to be subject to change, nor is it worded in such a way as to potentially sway anybody who is unsure of his or her position on the balance of magic in the SR system.

As an aside, I know plenty of rpers, and none of them have decided that they didnt like the SR system because of the prevalence of magic. Obviously, your personal "two complete groups" sample is not representative of the whole. So, please, stop whining, and stop trying to mislead the developers. I love the idea that adepts are being expanded, as do many fans and players of the game, and I can't wait to get my hands on the book (which is on its way to me right now).
Canid13
Agreed. I might not like magic on a personal level, but that doesn't stop me liking progress. There's nothing worse than a stale and static system :o)

Doesn't mean my own personal preference isn't for more cyberware and armour and guns and other 'mundane' tools of the shadow trade, but I can appreciate a good adept power just as much as the next guy.
TheDude
QUOTE (Birdy)

Birdy

Please count the number of pages of Adept material leading up to SOTA 2064 in SR publications (regardless of edition).

Please count the number of pages given to certain periphery concepts such Otaku (which were not playable for longest time).

Please count the number of publications that exist solely for mundane characters.

Adepts deserved some attention, having had the least amount of content published of any basic character archtype.

Cheers smile.gif.
Eyeless Blond
Indeed, that was a singularly unhelpful comment Birdy, and counterproductive to even your own "side" of the debate, if you were even on a side to begin. It's comments like those that make me want to reconsider my own. I'm beginning to think my comments were just as knee-jerk and stupid as his were.
Critias
Meh, screw 'em. You can't keep everyone happy all the time -- mage players were bored by Man and Machine (and Cannon Companion), Riggers were the only ones likely to care too much about R-3, I still haven't even bothered to buy Matrix or Target: Matrix or whatever...they aren't just a series of adventures, they aren't just tailored for a specific target power level audience... they aren't just of interest to the riggers, deckers, gunbunnies, or mages. They're books about Shadowrun, not just about any one place or character.

Don't worry about the complainers. The SOTA books are the best books I've seen for SR in a long, long, time. The chapter breakdown is great, it gives a little bit of info on a lot of subjects (cops, adepts, unique magic, spy gadgets), which means there's something in there for everyone -- not even counting the chapter that really is there for everyone.

They're great books. '63 was a nice one, '64 is among my favorites, ever, for Shadowrun. The layout, artwork, you name it. It's not "THE ADEPT BOOK," by a long stretch. If anything, take solace in the fact that most people are only able to find one chapter to bitch about.
mfb
i'll second that. i've been happier with the SOTA books than any other books SR has put out, pretty much since 3rd editon got going. Birdy's entitled to an opinion, of course, but it's not like players haven't been begging for new adept stuff since 2nd edition.
audun
QUOTE (Cochise)
Chaos Mage: Special type of hermetic. Basis of his belief system is the chaos theory ...

Not exactly. Chaos theory is a mathematical theory and has more to do with (Neo-)Pythagorean magic (one of the schools covered by SOTA2064).

Chaos magic is the SR-name for Erisian magic, Church of SubGenius and other forms of postmodern magic (try google). It's mentioned in MitS in the chapter on magical traditions. No specific rules except what there is in SOTA2064 and MiTS.

BTW: to everyone who complain about more magic. SOTA2064 covers lots of new stuff for mundanes. There's two chapters on magic (Adepts and Euromagic), the rest is mundane stuff.
Rock-Steady
I dont think there is an an rule in SOTA that says:

"YOU MUST USE ALL THIS RULES IN THIS BOOK OR YOU ARE DAMNED FOREVER!!!!!"

But there is a "rule" in the BBB that says:

"If you dont like th rules, dont use or change it."
Birdy
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Oct 13 2004, 11:15 AM)

Birdy

And people wonder why so many freelancers give up on the gaming trade. This is why, ladies and gentlemen (and for some of you, I use those terms very loosely). We bust our asses for ridiculously low amounts of money trying to do something cool, in response to metric fucktons of requests for something, and then all people do is bitch about it. I know we can't please everyone all the time, but Christ!

Well, I didn't ask for more Mage stuff (unless it's new stuff to screw mages - Spiritcam is a starter) but for more tech. So I can bitch on that chapter all I want.

But to put some balm on your wounded whatever:

+ I like the espionage stuff and will use the fluff on "less easily detected than mind control" against mages cool.gif The data on the spy organisations was nice as where the tools.

+ Cop chapter is good (I don't have LS and won't get it) and quite useful

Have to read the rest (MJLBB is on my shelf too)

Birdy

Q: Good mage?
A: See corps
Birdy
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Oct 13 2004, 12:15 PM)

Birdy

And this, my dear friends, is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about when I mentioned that certain things are pointless to post.

Clearly, this does not represent an opinion the poster believes to be subject to change, nor is it worded in such a way as to potentially sway anybody who is unsure of his or her position on the balance of magic in the SR system.

As an aside, I know plenty of rpers, and none of them have decided that they didnt like the SR system because of the prevalence of magic. Obviously, your personal "two complete groups" sample is not representative of the whole. So, please, stop whining, and stop trying to mislead the developers. I love the idea that adepts are being expanded, as do many fans and players of the game, and I can't wait to get my hands on the book (which is on its way to me right now).

Your opinion. Thankfully mine is different.

Maybe the groups (5 and 6 players) are not representative. I don't care about that! I have (and there are more) a dislike for the "Magic, more Magic) way SR goes and I voice it!

Don't like it? Tough luck! Your opinion and your group is about as valid as mine, so I could just as well ask you to quit blabbing and "misleading the developers"! The developers will do their analyses and find their conclusions. If they go your way, my problem (and one less customer). If they go mine, your problem. I prefer it to be yours.

As a side note: Number or SR groups on this years conventions in germany where down quite a bit. And that makes it a bit more relevant. People that want to play mages find better systems (i.e Ars Magica) and people that want cyberpunk find other games (D20, Cyberpunk). SR heads the "worst of both worlds" for quite a few games I talked with during conventions.

Birdy
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Oct 13 2004, 11:15 AM)

Birdy

* Well sure, if you want to freak out at any negative post . . .
* In the grand scheme of things that's a pretty well-reasoned slam of gaming material, certainly better then the usual "Dud3 y0u 57013 my ch33|2!0|25 4nd w|2!73 73x7 7h47 I d0n'7 1!k3."
Birdy
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Oct 13 2004, 06:07 PM)
Indeed, that was a singularly unhelpful comment Birdy, and counterproductive to even your own "side" of the debate, if you were even on a side to begin. It's comments like those that make me want to reconsider my own. I'm beginning to think my comments were just as knee-jerk and stupid as his were.

Oh, and your personal attacks are better/more useful? I dislike the "more magic" approach. What's more to say. I found both magic chapters useless. There's more than enoug magic in the game for my liking and I stated that! It turns away players that liked SR and I stated that. I got cynic because the "too much magic" has been voiced on the board quite a few times by various people.

Sure, I could just drop the game if that's better for Fanpro. A lot "no magic please" players do.

Birdy
Artemus
I always fail to understand people that post the argument "I don't like this so SR developers should change it, so I feel better". If you don't like it don't use it. There's no need to go around complaining that your opinion is valid and the world should stop and pay attention to you.

Developers do a lot of work. Hours go into coming up with new ideas, testing them and balancing them with existing material. As well as making sure that you don't contradict yourself in the process. Comments that fall on the category I outlined above do nothing but piss off hard working people. In the end the book was not made just for you, it was made for EVERYONE.

In every book there's stuff I don't like and can't use, for example Matrix and Rigger content. I don't go around asking that nothing be developed for these character types. That would be unfair to the people that like playing riggers and deckers.

If you are going to voice your opinion, you can do it in a constructive and polite manner that will probably have a higher chance of being heard. "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"

krishcane
So now we have people complaining, people complaining that people are complaining, people complaining about the complainers complaining about the people complaining, and now I'm writing a post to complain about the complainers complaining about the complainers who complain about those who complain.

--K.
Deacon
The problem with adepts, folks, is that when you boil the class down, it's a warrior with magic instead of cyberware. That's all. There's nothing keeping them from getting cyberware, in fact, except some piddling essence costs -- which can be easily pooh-poohed away with karma and Initiation. I've seen it myself, the fullborg with 0.056 essence -- and still has a Magic of 6. Isn't Initiation wonderful?

So, all those books for mundanes, solely for mundanes, strictly for mundanes -- you're wrong. They're for adepts too.

Which books are these, anyway? Ignore second edition, here; let's stop pretending that it's not been six years since the third edition was printed, so forget all about those books. We have Man & Machine -- which I just stated works as well for adepts as well as mundanes. We have Shadowrun Companion -- adepts can use Edges & Flaws just as well as mundanes. Then there's Cannon Companion, a book about firearms (pistol adepts and rifle adepts love this), martial arts (ditto for the martial art adepts), and more gear accessible to both mages and mundanes. SOTA63, which contains genetech, usable by both mages and mundanes. Matrix, which again is not solely for mundanes -- all a person really needs to run the Matrix is a cyberdeck and a datajack. Discounting Otaku, of course. What book am I missing? Oh yes, Magic in the Shadows, a book solely for the mages and adepts.

And then we have SOTA64, with a chapter, again, solely for the adepts. This is what you call fair? An entire book, and a chapter of a second book, meant for only part of the characters in the game?

This is why I want to see cyberware that screws with magic. Maybe it fiddles with creative thought, and magic being as much an art as a science, can't deal with it. It could have come from the research into cybermancy -- oh, and don't get me started there. A whole subsect of mundanes that require magical support? Don't tell me that's solely for the mundanes. Cyberware that's partially cybermantic in certain respects, that forces a magician to sacrifice a large part of his magic but leaves mundanes alone, that would be something nice to have.

Until we actually have a book that says 'Sorry magicians, This Is Not For You', leave the whole issue alone. And don't think your game is typical of the rest of us playing Shadowrun. You might be in a game where karma and nuyen is hard to come by. But I've seen games where karma and nuyen come in bucketloads, almost. Games where adepts don't have problems finding the magic groups, where they don't have problems scraping together the nuyen for a smartlink, and where the fullborg adept not only exists, but thrives on his all-Betaware cyberlimbs and Increase Reflexes 3 power.

***EDIT*** Okay, I forgot about Rigger 3 Revised, which contains a lot of content for riggers, including adepts who went and got a Vehicle Control Rig level 1 -- which, given the cost, can be had at Beta-grade for less than a hundred K, and with a good cyberdoc, can be had for only 1 point of essence loss. I've seen it. Don't tell me this book is for mundanes only, either.
mfb
QUOTE (Artemeus)
I always fail to understand people that post the argument "I don't like this so SR developers should change it, so I feel better". If you don't like it don't use it. There's no need to go around complaining that your opinion is valid and the world should stop and pay attention to you.

maybe because if nobody likes the products, and doesn't use them, nobody will buy them? and if nobody buys them, there won't be a shadowrun anymore? i'm just spitballing, here.
Synner
Your argument and points are duly noted. Not being a fan of pervasive magic in SR I found myself in the odd position of co-authoring the two magic-related chapters of this particular book. Why? Several reasons stand out.

Firstly while I'm not a fan of adding more powerful abilities, I am all for providing more options, variety and depth of background for people to play with. New options do not necessarily equal more power or even tip the power balance in the game.

Second, I felt playable magic for both adepts and magicians needed some fresh ideas and variety.A lot of people complained that MitS was too crunchy and had little actual fluff. But most importantly a lot of the people complaining seem to forget that besides MitS all the other core rule books are tech-related (M&M, CC, Rigger3, Matrix). In fact, the only new magic introduced during the SR3 run post-MitS have been the odds and ends at the back of Target: Awakened Lands, Target: Wastelands and SOTA63 (something like 5 new metamagics, 6 new spells and 4 new adept powers total). Which IMHO is pretty insignificant compared to the hardware and bits and pieces added in those and other books - the Merc chapter of SOTA63 introduces no less than 38 pieces of tech gear and vehicles; the Genetech chapter introduces 15+ items and processes; and SSG introduces 10 pieces of sundry everyday equipment).

As Dude has mentioned above, Adepts in particular were the least developed character type since they appeared back in SR1 (to put this in perspective SOTA64 has almost as many pages dedicated to Adepts as all previous books, regardless of edition, combined). There was a huge demand for Adept stuff as testified by the numerous netbook projects, the discussions on fan forums in at least 3 different languages AND the number of mails FanPro got asking for more adept stuff.

As to EuroMagic, I really suggest you check the chapter out again. Does it increase the presence of magic? Does it make it more powerful? Or does it simply provide more specialization options to mages and shamans by delving deeper into the stuff that was barely touched upon in MitS. It adds a couple of minor rules that actually make some previously mentioned traditions truly unique, all the while keeping them balanced rather than just making them a bigger, better, more upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding more variety and depth to the tech available to players as much as I was to adept abilities. I fully believe SOTA65 is likely to include updates to Matrix, Bio and Cyber. It's just a question of time. But right now I thoroughly disagree that magic is getting too attention.

And just for reference, despite bad turn out at RatCon SR sales in Germany have been above average with every release this year.
Birdy
QUOTE (Artemus)

Developers do a lot of work. Hours go into coming up with new ideas, testing them and balancing them with existing material. As well as making sure that you don't contradict yourself in the process. Comments that fall on the category I outlined above do nothing but piss off hard working people. In the end the book was not made just for you, it was made for EVERYONE.

In every book there's stuff I don't like and can't use, for example Matrix and Rigger content. I don't go around asking that nothing be developed for these character types. That would be unfair to the people that like playing riggers and deckers.

If you are going to voice your opinion, you can do it in a constructive and polite manner that will probably have a higher chance of being heard. "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"

And you get this wrong. I don't say "change a part of the game" I say "Maybe you do to much for a certain part of the game" and "give those players who don't like that part tools/means to counter it".

Technologie has reached a plateau in SR. Sure it gets more essence friendly (bioware) and we get some nice new toys (Nano) but the major problem remains that we also get superscanners (Cyberscanner if played by the rules) and special rules (healing time, stress, reduced imunity). Magic gets new toys and becomes more powerful and gets mostly "fluff" limitations. A lot of GMs enforce the hard rules and can be talked into ignoring the fluff.

What I would like to see is (as stated more often than not) technologie that allows mundanes to counter magic. The old (2nd Ed) FAB was nice. Some "you are askenned/mind probed" device would be nice. Sure, some adapt powers a nice and useful but the whole "social adept" concept is another "screw the mundies" aspect since it allows Adepts to out-perform unaugmented humans, killing another place for the low cyber/bio, non magic character. And that is what I critisize.

So I am a tad "pissed off" on the way the went with the Adapt and I am not a nice guy when I am in a bad mood. And if one goes "but the board says" well, I know more games IRL than on the board so chances are good, a lot of voices never make it. Those opposed to the way SR turns likely more often don't make it to the board. I liked the old "Cyberpunk with Magic" and I see it going away.

Maybe I get too much "Convention SR" where people trott out their "best munchkin" (no regular SR group left where I live) but some comments about SR on this years Feencon (biggest in Germany) where less than flattering. Quite a few from people who played SR a year of two before. Quite a few dealing with the magic/tech relation. I see SR turn into "You're magic or you are nothing" and if I want that, there are other games that can do that today.

As for "a lot of effort" - Well, I am an engineer (software) and writing a book is similar to writing a large programm. Often you go by what you consider "the best" and don't look around/ignore other opinions. Nobody's perfect and if the authors like magic, there'll be a lot of magic.

And as in software - A few bugs are seen/critizised and the ton of gems is overlooked.

Birdy
Deacon
More options is always good, and I've seen that the adept powers in SOTA64 aren't anything special. The only thing I object to is this misconception that mundanes have their own books, and magicians have theirs. As I've pointed out, everything a mundane has access to, a magician can use as well.

But it doesn't work out the same way, in reverse.

THAT is where the inequity lies in the system. If we had more options for the mundanes that were denied to the magicians, then we'd start seeing a balance come back to the game. Personally, I don't see why the rule about magic interfering with decking abilities was removed, but as I've said before, it's Shadowrun, rules make reality and rules change.
Deacon
QUOTE (Birdy)
Maybe I get too much "Convention SR" where people trott out their "best munchkin" (no regular SR group left where I live)

May I suggest that you check into shadowrun missions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012