Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SoA2064] Sota 64 Finally
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (krishcane)
So now we have people complaining, people complaining that people are complaining, people complaining about the complainers complaining about the people complaining, and now I'm writing a post to complain about the complainers complaining about the complainers who complain about those who complain.

--K.

I feel obliged to complain about this post.
Birdy
QUOTE (Synner)
Your argument and points are duly noted. Not being a fan of pervasive magic in SR I found myself in the odd position of co-authoring the two magic-related chapters of this particular book. Why? Several reasons stand out.

Firstly while I'm not a fan of adding more powerful abilities, I am all for providing more options, variety and depth of background for people to play with. New options do not necessarily equal more power or even tip the power balance in the game.

Second, I felt playable magic for both adepts and magicians needed some fresh ideas and variety.A lot of people complained that MitS was too crunchy and had little actual fluff. But most importantly a lot of the people complaining seem to forget that besides MitS all the other core rule books are tech-related (M&M, CC, Rigger3, Matrix). In fact, the only new magic introduced during the SR3 run post-MitS have been the odds and ends at the back of Target: Awakened Lands, Target: Wastelands and SOTA63 (something like 5 new metamagics, 6 new spells and 4 new adept powers total). Which IMHO is pretty insignificant compared to the hardware and bits and pieces added in those and other books - the Merc chapter of SOTA63 introduces no less than 38 pieces of tech gear and vehicles; the Genetech chapter introduces 15+ items and processes; and SSG introduces 10 pieces of sundry everyday equipment).

As Dude has mentioned above, Adepts in particular were the least developed character type since they appeared back in SR1 (to put this in perspective SOTA64 has almost as many pages dedicated to Adepts as all previous books, regardless of edition, combined). There was a huge demand for Adept stuff as testified by the numerous netbook projects, the discussions on fan forums in at least 3 different languages AND the number of mails FanPro got asking for more adept stuff.

As to EuroMagic, I really suggest you check the chapter out again. Does it increase the presence of magic? Does it make it more powerful? Or does it simply provide more specialization options to mages and shamans by delving deeper into the stuff that was barely touched upon in MitS. It adds a couple of minor rules that actually make some previously mentioned traditions truly unique, all the while keeping them balanced rather than just making them a bigger, better, more upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding more variety and depth to the tech available to players as much as I was to adept abilities. I fully believe SOTA65 is likely to include updates to Matrix, Bio and Cyber. It's just a question of time. But right now I thoroughly disagree that magic is getting too attention.

And just for reference, despite bad turn out at RatCon SR sales in Germany have been above average with every release this year.

Some things:

1) I answered on the tech stuff in another post. Basic: I look for counter-magic tech, not new cyberware/bioware. There I have most. Maybe some disguise cyber.

2) The Euro-Magic chapter wasn't my main point of critizism. That was adepts (see other post) or better, the way the did adepts. Had they kept them pure "Shaolins on magic" I would (maybe) have been less "ugly"

3) You know than RatCon is often referred to as the "Fanpro Con" in germany, don't you? People who go there like the Fanpro games (SR, DSA, CBT:RPG) since most games played there are from Fanpro. Those who dislike them, don't appear (Its around 100km/1h from my home, getting players to go there is next to impossible due to this) If they have a bad turn out, this is something FanPro should look into. (And given the weather, it wasn't a "too beautiful weather" event either)

4) I came off a bit more aggressive than necessary <dear reader, please terminate yourself "He" has admitted an error>. See later posts and blame my job/customer

<Edit>

And could we have a MrJLBB forum please so I can say something nice wink.gif I actually liked everything I saw in that book so far.

And some more nice stuff on Sota:

+ Liked the art
+ Liked quite a few ideas and chapters

<Edit>

Birdy
Synner
If you're problem as a GM is game balance between magic and tech, I strongly advise you to simply follow the suggestion in SR3 to drop what you don't like and cut Gaesa from your game.

You'll find that under SR3 mechanics Essence/magic loss becomes much more of a balancing factor and will keep most mages from complementing their magical arsenal with cyber/bio. Personally, I've found that strictly enforcing the Gaesa might players take gives me that control anyway but I know people who have dropped Gaesa completely.
TheDude
QUOTE (Deacon)
The problem with adepts, folks, is that when you boil the class down, it's a warrior with magic instead of cyberware. That's all. There's nothing keeping them from getting cyberware, in fact, except some piddling essence costs -- which can be easily pooh-poohed away with karma and Initiation. I've seen it myself, the fullborg with 0.056 essence -- and still has a Magic of 6. Isn't Initiation wonderful?

Ok. In a power game you can do as you like. What you describe is out the realm of my experience, as it is pure power gaming.

So, all those books for mundanes, solely for mundanes, strictly for mundanes -- you're wrong.  They're for adepts too.

Which books are these, anyway?  Ignore second edition, here; let's stop pretending that it's not been six years since the third edition was printed, so forget all about those books.  We have Man & Machine -- which I just stated works as well for adepts as well as mundanes.

Man and Machine has nothing to do with Adepts, except the handful that take 0.1-1.0 essence loss or explore more within the realm after earning a substantial amount of karma. This book is not for Adepts.

Then there's Cannon Companion, a book about firearms (pistol adepts and rifle adepts love this), martial arts (ditto for the martial art adepts), and more gear accessible to both mages and mundanes.

Cannon Companion is overwhelmingly used by mundanes. Sure, Adepts might take the martial arts stuff, and buy a gun or two, but this book was written with mundanes in mind.

Matrix, which again is not solely for mundanes -- all a person really needs to run the Matrix is a cyberdeck and a datajack.

I'm still looking for the sarcastic smiley - I know this can't be a serious statement.

Oh yes, Magic in the Shadows, a book solely for the mages and adepts.

How much of the material in there is really approrpiate for Adepts? Answer, very little. It is predominantly a mage book.

And then we have SOTA64, with a chapter, again, solely for the adepts.  This is what you call fair? 

Absolutely smile.gif.

Until we actually have a book that says 'Sorry magicians, This Is Not For You', leave the whole issue alone.

Well, there are many books that are 95% mundane with trickle down usage for mages.

What you ask for is silly IMO. Do you want a rule implemented that mages can't use guns or armor? It just doesn't make sense.
Birdy
QUOTE (Deacon)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Oct 13 2004, 08:42 PM)
Maybe I get too much "Convention SR" where people trott out their "best munchkin" (no regular SR group left where I live)

May I suggest that you check into shadowrun missions?

Thanks, nice page but it does not help much for conventions. SR on german conventions means "Players bring their characters, life with it or don't play/master". You can spend hours (and live with sullen groups) trying to enforce a "only my characters" rule on players. Best you can hope for is 1/2 players are from your regular group, 1/2 pickups. That balances out somewhat.

German conventions are a lot more "free wheeling" than say GenCon. You pay once for entry (around 4-6 Euro) and than you can join whatever group has empty slots. There is no prior registration for players and limited pre-registration for GM (say 1/3-2/3 of the groups). GM state "I want to master X and accept n players, non-smoker" and are assigned a table/room. Even pre-planned events are typically posted when the GM asks for it. Than players enter the group. And we don't use fixed timeslots either (two exceptions exist, one makes it optional). It's anarchy poor (and should keep that way)

Birdy
Synner
That is a slight exaggeration since I've been at German cons where GMs have set limits on player characters (ie. only starting level characters or characters built to a karma point max.)
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Rock-Steady)
I dont think there is an an rule in SOTA that says:

"YOU MUST USE ALL THIS RULES IN THIS BOOK OR YOU ARE DAMNED FOREVER!!!!!"

But there is a "rule" in the BBB that says:

"If you dont like th rules, dont use or change it."

The problem with this is that if anyone actually suggests on this board that they don't like something, and therefore won't use it (like with me and just about ALL the plot stuff since Dunklezahn got elected), people jump up and down and label them "anti-Shadowrun" (I know this sounds ridiculous, but read some of the threads from about 5 months ago; this actually happened to me).

I agree that SR HAS been screwing mundanes, but this is not a new problem. Almost all of the books my friends and I have are from the 1st half of 2nd edition or earlier, and the problems are there too. But I think a lot of the problem comes from full magicians. Like you said, there needs to be more tech counters for tricky things like mind probe and astral perception and things like that, but up until SOTA 2064 (which I haven't read, just going off what I've read on here), adepts were largely just street sams that could initiate, and even that advantage was lessened when cybermancy came out and street sams too could cram themselves with more than 6 essence of special abilities.

The way I see it, there are two real problems with mages. First, mundanes have no way of countering them. Non-deckers can't really counter deckers, either, but that doesn't matter, because they can take themselves off a target list for them. You can't do that with mages. If you're not a decker or a mage, you can keep all your info off the matrix and be immune to a decker, but the mage will always be able to read your mind. You can counter the decker without being a decker, you can counter the street sam without being a street sam, but you need a mage if you want to be safe from other mages. In the group I play in, I have a decker, and there are a couple magicians. The GM often doesn't include a matrix run as part of the run, but the magicians can ALWAYS pull stuff on the GM that he wasn't expecting. No matter what, the magicians always have a large part to play in the game, whereas the decker rarely does, and doesn't even always have a minor role. A lot of SR players I know got into it because they like cyberpunk novels, and marginalizing the decker while making the magicians the stars of the game is NOT cyberpunk. A good GM can do a little bit to remedy this by making the deckers more important, but there's nothing they can really do to diminish the crucial-ness of magicians.

The second problem is that they have access to all the mundane toys. There's nothing stopping a mage from being a really effective decker, or even a rigger or street sam. The mage can pick up minimal amounts of cyberware later in life and be good at these things. The decker can't pick up a top hat and be a magician. To say that only one book has been devoted to magicians while all the others have been devoted to mundanes is false. In reality, one book has been devoted to magicians while all the others have been as usable by magicians as anyone else. It just doesn't seem like it sometimes because everybody else HAS to focus on those other books. To remedy this problem, I wouldn't suggest restricting magicians' ability to use cyberware and weapons, but I WOULD follow the house rule that every SR group I've ever known has used and say that mundanes can make themselves magicians by spending a certain amount of karma to make up for the A priority (I think most people I know say something like 40 karma, but I've never seen any character actually do it, so I don't know; it's just reassuring to know that mundanes DO have a chance at not being the inferior beings SR makes them).

So all in all, I agree with Birdy on his point that magic is way too important in SR, often at the expense of critical cyberpunk elements like deckers. But also, I can definitely see a need to turn adepts into something other than street sams that can get through metal detectors. But again, I haven't read SOTA 2064. I'll agree with Synner that adding flexibility to something doesn't necessarily unbalance the game, but it usually does. If new adept powers are added responsibly, it could be cool, but you need to be careful.
bitrunner
Thanks, nice page but it does not help much for conventions. SR on german conventions means "Players bring their characters, life with it or don't play/master". You can spend hours (and live with sullen groups) trying to enforce a "only my characters" rule on players. Best you can hope for is 1/2 players are from your regular group, 1/2 pickups. That balances out somewhat.

not to derail this thread, but that confused me - SRM is specifically designed for conventions where you bring your own character. Deacon was recommending it because we try to keep things more to "old school" Shadowrun, and as someone that helped develop the various FABs and Strain-III and Gamma Scopolamine, I'm about as "anti-magic" as they come, so I'm always looking for opportunities to use the tools at hand or develop new ones (yes, I'm working on some now) to help in the mundanes fight against mages.

and i currently have about half a dozen people running SRM events in Germany, so I know it's working...don't know if any were played at RatCon, but they are starting to be played at many of the conventions here in the States. We had five different events at Gencon this past year, and filled almost every single table...
Birdy
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 13 2004, 09:18 PM)
That is a slight exaggeration since I've been at German cons where GMs have set limits on player characters (ie. only starting level characters or characters built to a karma point max.)

Yup, that works. Somewhat. Even a "optimised" 50 Karma character can be "interesting" when it comes to equipment.

And you still get genius-level gamers who don't read the stuff and turn up with a character that violates most parameters and then argue.

Been there, suffered that

Birdy

Synner: What german cons did/do you frequent? Besides RatCon?
Birdy
QUOTE (bitrunner)

not to derail this thread, but that confused me - SRM is specifically designed for conventions where you bring your own character. Deacon was recommending it because we try to keep things more to "old school" Shadowrun, and as someone that helped develop the various FABs and Strain-III and Gamma Scopolamine, I'm about as "anti-magic" as they come, so I'm always looking for opportunities to use the tools at hand or develop new ones (yes, I'm working on some now) to help in the mundanes fight against mages.

and i currently have about half a dozen people running SRM events in Germany, so I know it's working...don't know if any were played at RatCon, but they are starting to be played at many of the conventions here in the States. We had five different events at Gencon this past year, and filled almost every single table...

Now that is something I like! to hear. And what I would like to see. Basically:

Bring all the magic you want as long as my mundies get a counter!

We should take a vote on this. As long as I do the vote-counting wink.gif

Birdy
Artemus
And you get this wrong. I don't say "change a part of the game" I say "Maybe you do to much for a certain part of the game" and "give those players who don't like that part tools/means to counter it".

No I did not get it wrong. I said "I don't like this so SR developers should change it, so I feel better". That meant on the context of your posts that you did not like the way magic was being handled(too much of it, and too powerful) so everyone should stop and do as you wish (give mundanes a countermeasure). It was also a broader statement not necessarily confined to you personnally (I was also a bit pissed).

Still you have stated your arguments since that first post. And I do see your point, even though I think you are overexaggerating a bit.

Jason Farlander
Just got my copy in the mail! *happydance* I'll post more once I've had a chance to read and digest the contents, but now I have to figure out where I want to start.

...AWAY!
SirBedevere
Just got my SOTA 64 this afternoon biggrin.gif I've only flicked through the chapter on Adepts and I notice that some of the powers were very similar to powers I've used as house rules; we extrapolated a rise in mana and strange new powers that was later used with Halley's Comet (all the people in our group forgot about it ......oops) before SR3.

I'll post more when I've read the book.
Ecclesiastes
Hey Birdy, there is a counter to magic. Its called the Resist Magic edge.
Zeel De Mort
There are a few counters mundanes can use without the help of an awakened character. A couple of edges; magical gear like biofibre, FAB etc; and having high stats all round. But mundanes definately do have less options open to them in that regard than mages do in the reverse. Not that that's a new thing.

I also don't agree that books like M&M, CC, etc are largely of no use to adepts and mages. There's plenty in there they can and do use.

I do agree though that MitS was much more useful to mages and shamans than it was for adepts, so bringing out new material for adepts in SOTA 2064 was no bad thing.

More cyberware would be nice in the next one though! Although it can be used by awakened characters, and often is, it is still more relevant to mundanes.
Synner
As is blatantly clear by now Birdy and Deacon actually represent pretty different views on the "magic problem" in SR.

Both have made valid points for their positions; some I don't agree with others, I do. I definitely don't agree with opening magic up to everyone and I don't agree that adepts should remain in their "magic ninja/samurai" niche. As long as their magic forces them into specialization to get max efficiency they will remain balanced.

But I do agree with Birdy that more countermeasures to magic should be gradually introduced - this however is far more complicated that it seems. Any potential countermeasure has to be balanced and carefully tested for impact on the overall game. Make something too cheap, easy to use or available and magic becomes completely redundant. This is a fine line, but there's stuff on the way that fits the bill and I'm sure more will follow.

To make you happy and to prove we do listen (and because Fortune asked) here's an offering that didn't make it into SOTA64 to tide over those of you who really need more countermeasures now:

Magecuffs
Magecuffs are a simple countermeasure, developed by Lone Star's DPI in conjunction with the Star's Penal Department, designed to block a magician prisoner's ability to astrally project while he is incarcerated. In their most common form they are either an almost-featureless reinforced plastic gauntlet or collar, fitted around the captive's forearm or neck. Inside is a circular tube half-filled with flourescent FAB, a photosensitive sensor and an integrated microprocessor, basic biomonitor, taser and battery array.
When a mage attempts to project outside his physical body, his astral form moves through the FAB, pushing it aside and temporarily breaking the FAB band's glow. The integral light sensor picks this up triggering the taser. The resulting shock knocks the offending mage out and jerks his astral form back to containment. Effective and simple, this system was designed as a containment measure and deterrent in cases of long-term incarceration. Magecuffs are designed to be tamperproof and will activate the taser if tampered with without being properly deactivated using the appropriate remote code.

POLICE GEAR - AMMO - DAMAGE - CONCEAL. - WEIGHT - AVAIL. - COST - STREET INDEX
Magecuffs     - 4 charges*-    5S       -   N/A         -   1      -      7/12 days  -  2.000Y        - 3
FAB refills*    - N/A          -   N/A       -  N/A         -  0.2     -      7/12 days  - 50Y             - 2

* Batteries require 1 hour recharging to be back to full power after use.
** FAB tube refills are good for one week before the bacteria die out and require replacing, a LED lights up indicating a refill is needed. When not in use FAB refills for magecuffs are stored in a special container, similar to a medkit in size and configuration, in which they can be plugged into a nutrient soup that keeps the bacteria alive.

Now let's get back to discussing SOTA64?
Fortune
Danke. I was thinking you must have missed that request. smile.gif

I like them. How come they didn't make the cut?
Tal
Haven't got the book yet, but I hear there's numbers for genetic recombinants as PCs. This true?
WhiteRabbit
I must say, I really, really like the magecuffs.
Tal
Definitely a fun thing. Hell, combine it with a magemask and the mage won't be going anywhere.
mfb
no, there are no rules for recombinants as PCs. there is some fluff about recombinant pets, but no crunch.
Tal
Damn. Looks like it's house-ruling time again.
Deacon
QUOTE (TheDude)
QUOTE (Deacon @ Oct 13 2004, 08:19 PM)
The problem with adepts, folks, is that when you boil the class down, it's a warrior with magic instead of cyberware.  That's all.  There's nothing keeping them from getting cyberware, in fact, except some piddling essence costs -- which can be easily pooh-poohed away with karma and Initiation.  I've seen it myself, the fullborg with 0.056 essence -- and still has a Magic of 6.  Isn't Initiation wonderful?

Ok. In a power game you can do as you like. What you describe is out the realm of my experience, as it is pure power gaming.

This isn't a power game I'm discussing. This is a standard Shadowrun game that's been running steadily for the last five years. With an average of one game every two weeks, the characters in this game have gotten rather powerful. They've amassed the kind of experience and gear that makes them look like a power game, but that's going to happen with any game that lasts that long.
Man and Machine has nothing to do with Adepts, except the handful that take 0.1-1.0 essence loss or explore more within the realm after earning a substantial amount of karma.  This book is not for Adepts.

If the adepts can use the book, then it's for adepts. Once you said 'except the handful', you stated that Adepts can use it -- therefore, you have invalidated your own argument.
Cannon Companion is overwhelmingly used by mundanes.  Sure, Adepts might take the martial arts stuff, and buy a gun or two, but this book was written with mundanes in mind.

Again, you invalidate your own argument. Adepts can use the martial arts, the armor and modifications, the new firearms and other weapons -- this is a book used by Adepts.
I'm still looking for the sarcastic smiley - I know this can't be a serious statement.

It is a serious statement. It's not hard to make a mage decker, or grow one starting from scratch. Admittedly it looks like a mage decker's going to require serious cash outlays for decks -- but mages don't really need cash all that much anyway. Besides which, you do not need a top-of-the-line deck in order to play a decker -- if you do, then your GM is punishing you unnecessarily, and is in sore need of a punch in the face.
Well, there are many books that are 95% mundane with trickle down usage for mages.

What you ask for is silly IMO.  Do you want a rule implemented that mages can't use guns or armor?  It just doesn't make sense.

Currently, there is no downside to playing an adept. Except for piddly magic loss, which the smart player can avoid. Think about it. Magicians have magic loss, the dangers of astral space, mana warps, FAB, biofiber, magemasks, magecuffs (if Synner ever gets that approved), paracritters, and then the whole I-took-magic-at-chargen-so-I-need-to-hide-behind-the-Samurai thing. And let's not forget 'Geek the mage first'.

Samurai have to deal with helpful magic (healing) being MUCH harder to cast on them -- and if they go the bioware route, they get even MORE penalties. Cyberware Stress. Bioware Stress. The limit of reaching 5.9999 essence without needing cybermancy. Mundanes trade this for being slow as molasses compared to the sammies, or soft as a sponge. Deckers are useless outside of the Matrix, or they deal with the above problems. Riggers deal with the above problems AND optempo and SOTA costs. Plus, replacing drones COSTS.

Adepts get magic loss and...

...and...

...still searching...

Nothing! They don't have to deal with a shedim coming in and taking their body when they're doing an astral recon for the team. They don't have to worry about what happens to their magic if they enter a mana warp (which I think is an obvious fix needing to happen). They don't have to deal with the limitations of essence loss; they don't have to deal with the headaches of bioware, unless they really want to. Their growth potential is only limited by how little karma they can squeeze out of the GM. Since their upgrades don't cost nuyen, they can spend that on the stuff sammies and mundanes miss out on -- decent living conditions, nice clothes, permanent lifestyles, contact upkeep and false identities.

If an adept takes a hit, all he has to do is go over to his buddy the mage and ask for a healing spell. Essence of 6, TN of 4, the adept will be on his feet way before the samurai ever could. And with the additional combat pool dice an adept can get, it's less likely that the adept will get hurt in the first place.

Now, I'll admit that in order to upgrade, the adept first has to find a magic group and initiate. Well, not really, the GM has to allow the initiation to take place. But we're going to assume that the GM allows this, because if he doesn't, then why is he letting the magician initiate, and the mundane get better 'ware?

I've seen the powers in SOTA 2064. Like Synner said, they add options to playing an adept, which is good for the game. But what I'd like to see are more options to playing a mundane, and I'd like it if those options were unavailable to magicians. I'm probably not going to see this, since one of the main themes of this game is the blending of magic and technology, but it sure would be nice if there were cases where the magician is utterly helpless, but the mundane can handle the situation no problem.

But until the mundane can do everything the adept can do, your argument is invalid. Because the adept can do everything the mundane can do -- and sometimes, they can do it better. They can use all the other books than mundanes can use, while the mundanes are denied access to the one book adepts and magicians can use. Or are they?

One of the best countermeasures I ever saw in any game was a player of mine who allied himself with a free spirit. They had done this spirit a favor, and the player started doing whatever he could do gain that spirit's trust. This meant organizing whole shadowruns and paying the other runners out of his own pocket, in some cases. Donating huge amounts of his own karma so the spirit could gain in Force and spirit energy. Finally, after having gained the spirit's trust, he asked if the spirit would help him in his work.

As a GM, I saw no reason to disallow this. It gave the character a controllable ally like a mage's ally spirit. It gave him Spell Defense. It helped him deal with magical threats. And the fact that he'd organized and run several shadowruns (doing my own work for me) and given the spirit over 40 of his own karma, impressed me that the player was serious about this. I allowed it to happen -- and suddenly a mundane had magical countermeasures.

Food for thought, folks. In any case, we've strayed from the topic enough. SOTA2064 isn't going to ruin your campaign. It does change the rules a bit -- but I expect that SOTA2065 will do the same. Maybe we'll see magical countermeasures like anti-magical properties of natural orichalcum being used in cyberware, or the mythical magical item that a mundane can use (which Dunkelzahn did bequeath money to, in his will). In any case, I'm sure it's a book we'll all find useful in our games.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Deacon)
QUOTE (TheDude)
QUOTE (Deacon @ Oct 13 2004, 08:19 PM)
The problem with adepts, folks, is that when you boil the class down, it's a warrior with magic instead of cyberware.  That's all.  There's nothing keeping them from getting cyberware, in fact, except some piddling essence costs -- which can be easily pooh-poohed away with karma and Initiation.  I've seen it myself, the fullborg with 0.056 essence -- and still has a Magic of 6.  Isn't Initiation wonderful?

This isn't a power game I'm discussing. This is a standard Shadowrun game that's been running steadily for the last five years. With an average of one game every two weeks, the characters in this game have gotten rather powerful. They've amassed the kind of experience and gear that makes them look like a power game, but that's going to happen with any game that lasts that long.

No offense intended: that's my definition of a power game!
Eyeless Blond
Those are really cool, although I think they may need some extra verbage. I can see these being really useful for other things as well as simple incarceration, but they need more usable or realistic stats. First off, they need a conceal rating. Maybe the wrist-based one is Conceal 6, and the neck one is Conceal 4-5? And, of course, they need a Damage Code for the stun thingy. Maybe a constant 5S Stunn per round for the wristband, and 6-8S Stun per round for the neck collar? Oh, and it may be a good idea to include some kind of cheap biomonitor device, to keep the collar from killing them. nyahnyah.gif
lacemaker
I'm sorry, I'm going to continue the hijack, if only because I've wanted to post on this subject for a while.

My opening points are:

1) Notwithstanding that individual GM's have control of their rules, this is a site devoted to discussing and reviewing canon products. It seems odd to respond to negative reviews and comments by repeating a mantra of "if you don't like it, don't buy/use it". I won't, but surely the discussion of why I feel that way is valid.

2) I haven't read the book, but the Adept stuff sounds fine/good. Any objections people have are more to do with trends and philosophical approach than a specific reaction to adepts who can walk on water, as near as I can tell anyway.

My substantive argument is that there seems to be a legitimate problem with the role of magic in Shadowrun. It's difficult to articulate in detail, which is why these arguments always become such a mess, but enough people have posted exactly what I'm thinking for me to believe that it's a real issue. I will throw out a few brief thoughts:

a) Shadowrun, much more so than other systems, limits mundane access to magic goodies while permiting magical access to mundane goodies. Recent trends, like Geasa, seem to endorse this philosophy and make it worse. So when people write "there are all these books for mundanes, what's wrong with some magic", or "there are adept powers for the awakened and spy gear for the mundanes" they are misrepresenting the situation. The Matrix is a notable exception, but not a sufficient one. In its current role the matrix is astral space for one class of mundanes - a seperate environment in which one's dominance can be helpful, but not a direct source of real-world influence.
As the expanding role of magic starts to chip away at things I'd always taken as given, like the off-the-shelf sammy out fast-drawing the mage, and mundanes having the edge when using firearms, we are not getting enough concepts going the other way. I think SR needs to call this one, and either retain it's initial "magic is incompatible with tech" attitude going both ways (which is the feeling I retain I guess) or start breaking down the barriers both ways - the magecuffs are great BTW, and the Astral camera is an interesting idea.

b) All the traditionally cited methods for limiting magical power are completely GM reliant. As a first edition player I don't use background counts enough, and I'm trying to improve that aspect of my GMing on the basis of useful suggestions from this board, but generally the ideas that are thrown out require firstly an unrealistic level of magical threat in situations where it doesn't belong given its supposed scarcity, and/or for the GM to make stopping the mage the focus of his adventure. Once you've done that you've conceded that this is "magerun", where the mage is the acknowledged power of the group, but his side kicks have to step in whenever he meets one of the unusually common traps you build especially for him (look, more kryptonite!).

That's all a little vague, as I promised it would be, and we probably need a thread for this, but I am trying to emphasise that there's a legitimate discussion to be had about the power of magic and the interaction between magic and technology. Also, I'd like you all to by into the idea of a tech/lifestyle book I was spruiking on an earlier thread...
Tal
How would it kill them? Once they hit ten stun, it's off to sleepy land for a few hours...
Fortune
If it continues to cause damage after the subject falls unconscious, the damage will start to become Physical.
Tal
Yes, but it only zaps them when they try to go astral.
Fortune
In order to ensure zapping the subject to the point of unconsciousness (D Stun applied once can still be resisted, and therefore doesn't always ensure unconsciousness...Tranq Patches have the same problem) whenever he tries to Astrally Project (as described), the Cuffs would have to apply multiple charges to the subject. With no way of determining if and/or when the subject actually does achieve an unconscious state (ie. a Biomonitor), the Cuffs would continue to apply charges afterwards, resulting in Physical damage, because it has no effective 'stop switch'.
Tal
Ah. I was simply assuming the taser would keep firing until there wasn't an astral signature any more.
RangerJoe
Eh, this comment isn't worth a new thread, but, to bounce the conversation in a slightly different direction, I just finished reading the magical paradigms section. Wow. Slightly mind-bending. I want more. smile.gif Any strong feelings about the paradigms? I think UMT is really going to turn magic on its head if it ever takes off.

I'd also like to see web content or errata letting folks know what's going on at the University of Chicago Thaumatology department. I've got a soft spot for that university, and they seem to have been neglected this time 'round. smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
I think this topic of whether or not magic has grown too powerful, or huge, or all-encompasing, and whether or not a fix is becomming necessary, has become enough of a hot-button issue to merit its own thread. So let's get it off of here, and put this thread back where it belongs: discussing SOTA 2064.

Anyway, any other comments on the magecuffs? Those are a really neat idea, and I'd love to see more stuff along the same lines.
Deacon
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Anyway, any other comments on the magecuffs? Those are a really neat idea, and I'd love to see more stuff along the same lines.

The one problem with these is getting them on the fraggin' mage in the first place. And usually by the time you've gotten the mage to the point that you can put cuffs or a magemask on him, he's so far unconscious it'll be a day or so until he wakes up. twirl.gif

That's what the mundanes need -- more active countermeasures to the magical problem, like the allied free spirit mentioned above.
Tal
So list some examples, Deacon. The allied free spirit isn't an active countermeasure- It's just more magic. Bah. Back to SOTA:2064- Do the cuffs actually stop the mage casting spells, or just from going astral?
Herald of Verjigorm
Hmm.... maybe some official interest in some of the ideas sported as house-rule items to solve that same problem.

The only one that comes to mind (however, the source doesn't) was a sort of bioware (or cyber maybe) that adds a layer of foreign living tissue (a uniform bacteria or fungus, something like that) in the person's skin layers. It was nourished by pulling a bit from a person's own systems, and provided some extra protection from magic. I think the suggested game effects were very similar to the shielding metamagic, but had an essense cost and the drawback of the magic resistance edge thrown in as well.
Tal
This the stuff you mean? Might be worth an update, using body index instead of essence. I mean, Hell, it is a symbiote...
Herald of Verjigorm
Yeah, that's probably the one.

I'd rather go with a variant that just mimics shielding instead of solidly reducing the force of incoming spells, but others may like that method.
Tal
Yeah, same here.
Eyeless Blond
Or, to make it more usable by most people, just have it work like the Magical Resistance Edge. That way it's less absurdly powerful, so it can cost less Essence and cash, so more people might actually consider using it. Maybe .3 Essence and 75k nuyen.gif per level?
Tal
Hmm, sounds a lot more workable, but personally I'd jump up the price a bit.
Deacon
QUOTE (Tal)
So list some examples, Deacon. The allied free spirit isn't an active countermeasure- It's just more magic. Bah. Back to SOTA:2064- Do the cuffs actually stop the mage casting spells, or just from going astral?

The best countermeasure to a mage is another mage -- but like Tal said, that's just more magic. But there are some things the mundanes can do to stop the mages.

1) Keep your eyes and ears open. Don't head into a situation guns blazing -- take stock of your opponents. Is one acting differently than the rest? Odds are, he's the mage -- and hence, your first target.

2) Chemical weapons are the mundane's ally. Drop a cloud of neurostun-VIII on a party and see what happens. Even if the mage resists it, he's still got +2 to all his TN's.

3) When they have bullet barrier, don't use bullets. A crossbow bolt can be just as deadly -- and bonus, it's silent. And further bonus, it can be poisoned.

4) Don't just use FAB. Use flour. Use the sprinkler system. Use anything you can put into the air to detect those pesky invisible mages.

5) Drones. Nuff said.

Okay, that's all I can think of for now, it's late and I need sleep. Us old fogies need our beauty sleep, so we can get up early and be cranky some more. wobble.gif
Birdy
Okay, on SOTA:

You should have included the Magecuffs. They have a calming effect on me wink.gif

European magic:

European magic is interesting but skirts some grey areas: Do the followers of the Norse gods still perform ritual sacrifices? Including horses and humans?

Aside from that it has some good ideas at the neo-pagan stuff and the problems of academic vs "free" magic. Question: What is the third university that gives titels in that? And do levitating mages need a flying permit in germany[1]

I'd like to have some comments on the reaction of our beloved "Westphalians" to the Vicca. We know they dislike Hermies. Do they still burn Witches (Last region of germany to stop that barbeques IRL) I can just imagine a friendly group of neighbours going "There is the pig plaque at the farm, it must have been the Coven" (Think the Shreck trailer here)

Police:

I like the stuff on Jailbirds. Police you can improvise by taking TJ Hooker and making him an Ork but stuff on Jails is rare in TV etc and mostly one sided. One might really get the idea of getting a group in the jail just to use the stuff...

Some stuff is US/Lone Star specific (Any groups I run would be running in Germany) but most is so general (or can be generalised) that it is useful. The old LS Book had more detail but that can be easily solved by using other material.

@Other posters: Sure, Magic Resistance is a "semi-useful" edge. Since I am not "no magic" it also kills the use of healing magic. And edges in my eyes are "special" not a "everybody has this and Will 6".

Birdy

[1] We have one for: "Ultralights, motorised hanggliders and other flying objects not listet elsewhere i.e a Space Shuttle" in RL germany wink.gif
audun
QUOTE (Birdy)
European magic is interesting but skirts some grey areas: Do the followers of the Norse gods still perform ritual sacrifices? Including horses and humans?

This is purely my opinion, it's left vague in the book on purpose. But yes, they do sacrifice horses, it is considered part of the Blot. As for human sacrifice that was rare among the Old Norse and is non-existent among modern followers, so probably no.

Aside from that it has some good ideas at the neo-pagan stuff and the problems of academic vs "free" magic. Question: What is the third university that gives titels in that? And do levitating mages need a flying permit in germany[1]

Third university? don't know actually, probably bad wording or a typo. Flying permit? rotfl.gif

I'd like to have some comments on the reaction of our beloved "Westphalians" to the Vicca. We know they dislike Hermies. Do they still burn Witches (Last region of germany to stop that barbeques IRL) I can just imagine a friendly group of neighbours going "There is the pig plaque at the farm, it must have been the Coven" (Think the Shreck trailer here)

It's outlawed along with the rest I suppose. As for burning them, I don't think so. Though it would be a crazy plot to have wave of magiphobia hit Westphalia and other parts of Europe, with witch burnings and other traditional European evils.
Nikoli
Just got MJLBB and SOTA:2064 gotta say, nice work, love to see stuff like this coming out.

However, I need to go back and double check some things in the BBB and the Revised Rigger, correct me if I'm wrong, but LS doesn't "do" traffic stops, all speeding tickets, etc. are handled through the grid link and guide systems, vehicles with bogus transponder codes and plates might be investigated, but otherwise if there is a real name attached that person gets the ticket.

Also, in the BBB, wasn't there a mention that even LS is afraid of most of the 'plex streets after dark as all the go-gangs come out and they basically stay indoors unless some real high priority like a gang assault on a government building?

SOTA:64 seems to contradict all that background info that gave SR part of the dystopic, gritty world gone mad feel for me.
Synner
QUOTE (Nikoli)
However, I need to go back and double check some things in the BBB and the Revised Rigger, correct me if I'm wrong, but LS doesn't "do" traffic stops, all speeding tickets, etc. are handled through the grid link and guide systems, vehicles with bogus transponder codes and plates might be investigated, but otherwise if there is a real name attached that person gets the ticket.

This is not incompatible, LS will still be doing random traffic stops on principle (never know what you might catch), plus it will be coordinating and interfacing with the Gridlink system all the way (meaning they can have the Gridlink turn off your car's access to the system while still tracking you for instance). And many areas still don't possess Gridlink anyway.

Also, in the BBB, wasn't there a mention that even LS is afraid of most of the 'plex streets after dark as all the go-gangs come out and they basically stay indoors unless some real high priority like a gang assault on a government building?

That is a misunderstanding that has cropped up and been dispelled before. What it says is that this is the case in certain districts (namely the bottom end of the security charts, z-zones and the Barrens). Depending on the sprawl (and your game) this might mean a significant portion of the city or a small one. SOTA64 describes examples of typical (read average) law-enforcement situations not middle of the Barrens precincts and procedures. The situations you described are balanced out by relatively secure downtown business areas, ultra secure enclaves, and middle of the road 'burbs (ie. all the places rated C-upwards)
Synner
QUOTE (Birdy @ Oct 14 2004, 07:57 AM)
European magic:

Actually I thought the post by one of the shadowtalkers about Viking Asartu sacrificing animals (and possibly humans) was pretty illuminating...

Aside from that it has some good ideas at the neo-pagan stuff and the problems of academic vs "free" magic.

As I mentioned previously, our intention was not to power up magic or even make it more common but add to the diversity and mystery of it by showing how a lot of the game concepts introduced previously actually translate to elements of the game world.

Question: What is the third university that gives titles in that?

Actually that was indeed a slip. There were originally meant to be two German universities and Prague, but last-minute crossreferencing with the writers of B:ADL reduced the number. We simply missed the three in editing.

And do levitating mages need a flying permit in germany[1]

You'll have to check in B:ADL for that. nyahnyah.gif

Again this is a question for the German crew. Remember that there was no 3rd Edition reference to the Westephalian theurges beyond SOE and I had only a limited space to introduce the nuances between the various varieties of Christian magic. The focus was on the specificities of each school of theurgy. Anyway, the possible problems arrising between Wiccans and the Westephalian clergy (not necessarily it's theurges) is addressed in the book in at least one of the Game Info plothooks - like many of the references in this chapter it also builds on material previously mentioned in both SoE and DotSW.
Critias
"Mundanes need more ways to counter magic! Boohoo, mundanes can't counter mages!"

Jesus. Apparently the rest of my gaming group and myself are the only ones in the world that have the standard operating procedure of "shoot the mage in the damned face, before you do anything else." I mean, "geek the mage first" is practically our battle cry.

Fact: mages tend to be weaker than anyone else, physically. They -- read through adventures, look at the NPC's gear lists -- wear lighter armor, carry smaller weapons, and don't flash obvious chrome. You can spot them easily, most of the time, once it's toe-to-toe slugging match time (even before they've done anything, which gives them away rather quickly).

Fact: in addition to having less armor and smaller weapons, mages will, almost universally, have less soak dice. That's what makes shooting them so easy and fun. Yes, they have a lot of Combat Pool. But a lot of Combat Pool doesn't help when a team of Shadowrunners concentrates their fire.

Fact: "Armor spell, armor spell," I hear everyone shreiking. Well, guess what? Armor, along with Bullet Barrier (or any other Barrier) is fairly obvious, even before the first burst bounces off. That just makes it easier to spot them, and throw grenades at them or kick them in the head 'till they die.

Fact: mages TN's stack up really, really, fast. Toss a smoke grenade to fuss with their line of sight and make spellcasting harder, toss a flash bang or flashpack for the same effect (in fact, toss one of those in any fight). Zap 'em with a taser (not a bullet) or something. You don't have to kill them in one hit to make them less usefull -- and remember that Drain will just add to the stun damage you're dealing them, making 'em even less dangerous to you.

"Counter magic." Pfeh. There's already plenty of ways to "counter magic." You kill it, the same way you "counter" anything else. Shadowrun, once the shit hits the fan and combat starts, is a game that's all about prioritizing targets. It's not that hard.

And, no, before anyone harps, none of the things I've listed above are things only a Mundane can do. Yes, supergenius, it's perfectly possible for a mage or adept to pick up their very own handgun, smg, or stun grenade and ruin your day.

But -- hey! -- maybe that versatility is why it costs so many character points to be Awakened?
Norsemen
In the Adapt section there is a line about a 5% increase in the number of people in SR identified as adapts. Is this an Earth Dawn reference to everyone being magically active or having magically potential?

I have never read any ED stuff beside the dragon PDF, so I could be wrong about everyone in ED having magic potential. It is something someone else told me.

Also, could I get a offical ruling about attuning weapon foci from who wrote the section?
Fortune
I'm not the dude that wrote the section, but I don't see any reason why an Adept could not use Attunement on his Weapon Focus, nor do I see anything in canon that would disallow this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012