Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SoA2064] Sota 64 Finally
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Norsemen)
Is this an Earth Dawn reference to everyone being magically active or having magically potential?

Earthdawn actually has a high quantity of mundane mortals. The rules don't let you play one because without cyberware (or a really high reliance on blood charms) they are exceptionally underpowered compared to those who do have a path of magical study. I need to reread some things, but I think one short story included a military (or mercenary, something like that) group that was around 10% adepts, 90% mundane. Maybe 20/80, but still the adepts were outnumbered.
Pthgar
Some of the "new" adept powers hark back to some ED adept magic. Beastmatering are Swordsman's Windwalking are two that leap immediatly to mind.

I'm having my character learn Embroidery Skill just to be on the safe side. biggrin.gif
mfb
i thought windwalking was the next best thing to flying. the glide power allows you to walk on thin branches and water, not air.
Kagetenshi
…At least at this magic level.

~J
mfb
heh. y'know, a 40mph gust of wind represents a lot more resistance than a thin branch...
Critias
I've always assumed Traceless Walk had a visual effect similar to Air Dance, just for fun's sake. The powers don't have much in common (being sneaky, compared to an init boost), but I find it appealing wholly on a fluff level.
Zen Shooter01
Okay, I know I'm lagging with my review, and forgive me if I repeat what others have said, but I didn't have time to read all 15 pages of this thread smile.gif .

This book rocks. It's excellent. I hope it sets the standard for the SOTA series henceforth. If it does, it will make these books the flagship of the line.

Games of State adds an element that has been long, long overdue. The new gear is great, the information is great. But I was disappointed not to see more on tradecraft -- like maybe a skill called Tradecraft, for instance. What's a dead drop? What's it mean to "double back" an agent? What is a dispatched defector? How are networks organized? What does it mean to "sacrifice" one or "roll it up"?

For years I've been using a knowledge skill called Spycraft to represent this kind of expertise in my games.

The adept chapter was nice, although I think the idea of the Ways gets a lot more ink than it needs. "Many adepts arrange their powers around a theme." That's pretty much it.

And some of the powers need rewritten. Between Kinesics and Improved Negotiation, an adept could talk people into filleting their own children and serving them to the adept with lemon butter.

Behind the Badge is very good. Let's face it, the old Lone Star source book was longer than it needed to be.

I especially liked Culture Shock, with the top ten lists and so on. That part of the SOTA books provides a great way for events to develop in the Sixth World year to year.

Nath
Do people like the name of Yamatetsu mission to Mars ?

Yeah, that's the only thing I did in that book, finding a name nyahnyah.gif
mfb
indeed. appropriate.
Synner
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Those are really cool, although I think they may need some extra verbage. I can see these being really useful for other things as well as simple incarceration, but they need more usable or realistic stats. First off, they need a conceal rating.

Note what I posted was an early first draft. I've edited to include the damage code which I had missed previously. Your also correct that it also requires some sort of biomonitor (also added). However, at this stage these things were just introduced by Lone Star (similar models would be showing up through the competition) basically targeting a law-enforcement and prison authority audience. Making them concealable isn't a priority, much to the contrary. The basic model is inherently bulky and clunky and would have been purposefully designed that way for the job it does in the environments its expected to do it.

There are probably SOTA security and black ops versions around, which wouldn't hit the market for a while (although they might fall off the back of a truck). These would have a higher Concealability of (3-4), a slightly lighter build (1.5) but suffer a mark up price (3000Y).
bitrunner
QUOTE (Norsemen)
In the Adapt section there is a line about a 5% increase in the number of people in SR identified as adapts. Is this an Earth Dawn reference to everyone being magically active or having magically potential?

I have never read any ED stuff beside the dragon PDF, so I could be wrong about everyone in ED having magic potential. It is something someone else told me.

well, in ED, all of the HEROES are adepts...there are still plenty of mundanes in the world. the game mechanics however center around the concept that the player characters are "a cut above" and are adepts of one (dare i say it??) path or another...

keep in mind, though, that the 5% increase also takes into account not just the rise and expansion of magic level, but also the fact that many people had not previously been identified as adepts - ie the social and artist adepts. by "discovering" that these people existed (instead of all adepts being "ninjas") it effectively raised the percentage of awakened people.

personally, i think the figure is a little low - with every corp scrambling to hire magical talent, plus the entertainment industry, law enforcement, the military, organized crime, and other organizations, there MUST be a higher percentage of the population that is magically active and has basic ability.

i think some time ago someone figured out that by the published figures, there was only supposed to be like a dozen people in all of SEATTLE that would be magically active - when you consider what you actually see, and based on above, there must be close to 1,000 or more in the sprawl.
Zeel De Mort
Isn't it supposed to be about 1% of the world's population that's magically active? I don't remember how many people live in Seattle in the 2060s, but I'm guessing it's more than 1,200!

Synner
QUOTE (RangerJoe @ Oct 14 2004, 02:48 AM)
Eh, this comment isn't worth a new thread, but, to bounce the conversation in a slightly different direction, I just finished reading the magical paradigms section. Wow. Slightly mind-bending. I want more. smile.gif  Any strong feelings about the paradigms? I think UMT is really going to turn magic on its head if it ever takes off.

Good to see someone liked it. I was getting worried for a sec there.

Audun and I were of a mind to make Hermetic Theory more mysterious, quirky and less uniform than one might infer from the basic rules, while at the same time working within what had already been established. It's something Audun in particular had been working on since before SoE went into development.

Essentially the paradigms are simply an extrapolation of the concept of Hermetic schools originally introduced in MitS, one we hope will make mages and Hermetic magic more interesting and varied in terms of roleplaying opportunities (and maybe provide some adventure ideas).

If you look back to books like DotSW and SoE now, you'll be able to draw some interesting connections. For instance the underlying principles of UMT in particular bear a suspicious similarity to "other" understandings of magic... given who's been promoting it, the events in the Czech chapter of SOE should now be cast in an even more ominous light.

Hopefully there will be more on the paradigms and the study circles in at least one of the upcoming sourcebooks.

I'd also like to see web content or errata letting folks know what's going on at the University of Chicago Thaumatology department. I've got a soft spot for that university, and they seem to have been neglected this time 'round. smile.gif

Well, the topic of the chapter was Euromagic, but... Chicago like most UCAS universities is likely in the hands of Renewed Hermeticist partisans (which are assumed to be the default hermetic mage type people think of when they think of wagemages, security mages and non-self taught hermetics). Besides MIT&T, it's likelier that some of the NANs will have fledgling UMT cliques starting to form and it's a safe bet a few of the other paradigms (like Concordance Alchemists and Vanguardists) are vying for influence in second-tier colleges and private schools.
Bane
I very much enjoyed that section also. Good to see that humanity really isn't any closer to understanding magic. wobble.gif

On a slightly related note, a question about Witches. They're cited as having a "variant" of the anchoring metamagic. My read of that passage was that other than ritual sorcery, a witch's only way of "casting" a spell is through an expendable anchoring focus. So I suppose my question is about that little "variant" word. What exactly is different about a witch's version of Anchoring? Is it the fact that they begin the game with it, or is it something like... they don't have to bond an expendable anchor to use it?
Adam
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort)
Isn't it supposed to be about 1% of the world's population that's magically active? I don't remember how many people live in Seattle in the 2060s, but I'm guessing it's more than 1,200!

1% magically active, .1% are full magicians of some sort.

However, that number is rising/fluctuating.
Synner
QUOTE (Bane @ Oct 14 2004, 07:55 PM)
I very much enjoyed that section also.  Good to see that humanity really isn't any closer to understanding magic.  wobble.gif

That was at least partially the point. When people start getting cocky about knowing everything there is to be known about magic you get a curveball.

On a slightly related note, a question about Witches.  They're cited as having a "variant" of the anchoring metamagic.  My read of that passage was that other than ritual sorcery, a witch's only way of "casting" a spell is through an expendable anchoring focus.

Your reading is correct. Traditional witches are limited to Ritual Sorcery and the variant of Anchoring in terms of spellcasting abilities (note that for the purposes of anchoring a spell the witch need not perform a ritual casting).

So I suppose my question is about that little "variant" word.  What exactly is different about a witch's version of Anchoring?  Is it the fact that they begin the game with it, or is it something like... they don't have to bond an expendable anchor to use it?

We used a "variant" of the Anchoring metamagic ability to describe it because traditional witches learn it without requiring initiation (ie. begin the game with it). Otherwise the ability works just like standard metamagic (with standard costs). This and the ability to make Charms are unique to this tradition (as far as we know). Though it does make witches harder to integrate in a shadowrun crew, they exist in the same magical niche as Enchanters, and even if they don't see play they can make an interesting addition to a player's list of contacts.
Senchae
QUOTE (Deacon)

Man and Machine has nothing to do with Adepts, except the handful that take 0.1-1.0 essence loss or explore more within the realm after earning a substantial amount of karma.  This book is not for Adepts.

If the adepts can use the book, then it's for adepts. Once you said 'except the handful', you stated that Adepts can use it -- therefore, you have invalidated your own argument.

And mundanes can use MITS (see anchoring foci, for example). Saying that a book that has a very obvious target audience is "for adepts" is crap. It's a book adepts can use. So can mages. So can mundanes. Same with every single book out there.

they're doing an astral recon for the team.  They don't have to worry about what happens to their magic if they enter a mana warp (which I think is an obvious fix needing to happen). 

Adepts do lose power in Mana Warps.

They don't have to deal with the limitations of essence loss;

Except that they lose power points. Yay, you have an adept who has a shitload of cyber and 6 magic. Of course, that adept would have _12_ magic without the cyber.

mfb
If the adepts can use the book, then it's for adepts.

that is absolutely the most ridiculous statement i've seen in quite some time. adepts can strap on 'trodes and run the Matrix, does that make Matrix an adept book? adepts can buy drones and rig up a remote control deck, does that make Rigger 3 an adept book? adepts can go to Switzerland to get implants, does that make Shadows of Europe an adept book?
SirBedevere
I asked the only mundane in our gaming group (she plays a troll) what she thought about magic. "Duh, I got magic wand what fires 12.7mm dum-dums and if de buggers like to wear some kind of pansy armour spell it soon go through dat. And if dey got a bullet barrier shure aint much cop against my harpoon gun! Mages aint that much cop, they shit emselves and run when they saw that Shedim, ha, ha, ha. Me and Max sorted that!" Note Max is a medium machine gun.
Zeel De Mort
QUOTE (Adam)

1% magically active, .1% are full magicians of some sort.

However, that number is rising/fluctuating.

and it was about what, 10% in ED times? On the way down I mean, after the Kaers opened.

Still a long way to go 'til we get to that level I guess, although the curve looks steeper this time around.
Birdy
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Oct 14 2004, 07:57 AM)
European magic:
European magic is interesting but skirts some grey areas: Do the followers of the Norse gods still perform ritual sacrifices? Including horses and humans?

Actually I thought the post by one of the shadowtalkers about Viking Asartu sacrificing animals (and possibly humans) was pretty illuminating...

Must re-read the chapter. Still, some neo-pagans out hunting virgins and getting the girl/boy friend of a PC might make for a nice scenario. Maybe some "Crusader" style rescue mission into the Black Forrest or Poland (The Poles would just love a bunch of gun-toting Krauts wink.gif )

Aside from that it has some good ideas at the neo-pagan stuff and the problems of academic vs "free" magic.

As I mentioned previously, our intention was not to power up magic or even make it more common but add to the diversity and mystery of it by showing how a lot of the game concepts introduced previously actually translate to elements of the game world.

Question: What is the third university that gives titles in that?

Actually that was indeed a slip. There were originally meant to be two German universities and Prague, but last-minute crossreferencing with the writers of B:ADL reduced the number. We simply missed the three in editing.

Wasn't a "you made an error" remark, just a "did I overlook something?" question.

And do levitating mages need a flying permit in germany[1]

You'll have to check in B:ADL for that. nyahnyah.gif

I'd like to have some comments on the reaction of our beloved "Westphalians" to the Vicca. We know they dislike Hermies. Do they still burn Witches (Last region of germany to stop that barbeques IRL) I can just imagine a friendly group of neighbours going "There is the pig plaque at the farm, it must have been the Coven" (Think the Shreck trailer here)

Again this is a question for the German crew. Remember that there was no 3rd Edition reference to the Westephalian theurges beyond SOE and I had only a limited space to introduce the nuances between the various varieties of Christian magic. The focus was on the specificities of each school of theurgy. Anyway, the possible problems arrising between Wiccans and the Westephalian clergy (not necessarily it's theurges) is addressed in the book in at least one of the Game Info plothooks - like many of the references in this chapter it also builds on material previously mentioned in both SoE and DotSW.

The last one was actually a yoke on the Westphalians (more the citizens than the clergy). The way they are shown in the book they are a bit backward-conservative (As compared to say 17th century german catholics) and prone to "the old ways" of dealing with such stuff as "Hexen!".[1]

Seems like the found a way to make me buy B:ADL (normally I stay away from the stuff, using a very different germany)

Birdy (Who crushed the cabbage and raised the pigs)

[1] I can make jokes on Westphalians. I am one!
Blue eyes
THANK YOU FOR A GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

State of the art 2064 is a great book, I especially enjoyed the chapters on adepts, the old world magic & culture shock! But the other chapters have been full of useful information as well.

I think it's great to see an update on adepts, it's long overdue & since I play a adept/face the new social adept possibilities are just great.

As a european I also would like to applaud the inclusion of even more info on european magical traditions.

On a side note I would just like to thank the authors for including alot of earthdawn nods, it's good to see an increase of these in the last few books.

Keep up the good work y'all I hope to see a State of the art 2065 sometime in the future.
Critias
QUOTE (Birdy)
Still, some neo-pagans out hunting virgins and getting the girl/boy friend of a PC might make for a nice scenario.

How many Shadowrunners do you know with virgins as boyfriends/girlfriends?
Birdy
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Oct 15 2004, 04:20 AM)
Still, some neo-pagans out hunting virgins and getting the girl/boy friend of a PC might make for a nice scenario.

How many Shadowrunners do you know with virgins as boyfriends/girlfriends?

About as many as I know Shadowrunners. Now, Westphalian-Katholic Shadowrunners might be another think. After all the church says "No sex before marriage"

Birdy
SirBedevere
So far what I've read, I've liked. The chapter on the adepts is quite good, they did need some more options and the Ways give some structure to creating an adept. The law chapter gave some useful insights, especially the section on prisons (evil chuckles from the GM biggrin.gif ). The spy section should be very helpful in increasing my players paranoia, especially the IMINT!

Downsides (IMHO), the aura camera. I'm not convinced by that so I doubt if I'll use it. Stuff. Not enough of it. I liked the bits of gear that were in there but I would have liked more. Having said that, with the large amount of info on European magic (which I haven't read yet) something had to be dropped, and after SOE the magic did need bringing out.

Could we have more Stuff in SOTA 2065 please?

Overall, so far I like it, and I think it's an improvement over SOTA 2063.
Synner
Now that we've got over the initial shock of the adept expansion, I'm interested in knowing what people think of the other sections of the book.
Synner
Since I've recieved more than 10 mails asking for clarification on the matter, I'd like to point out that New Metamagic clearly states (emphasis mine):
QUOTE ( SOTA64 @ page 61)
The metamagic techniques listed below are only available to adepts.

Limited Astral Projection is further limited to adepts of the Magician's Way.
Siege
Eh - I stand by my:

Gambling section was over-developed for the impact it will have on most games.

The Orkz Gangstas didn't appeal to me at all, nor did the parallels between East-West coast rapper rivalries. I didn't object to the Ork language as it has a basis from the implied Earthdawn past.

The Law Enforcement section was more interesting and I'll have to re-read when I have more time.

The Corp Kid Club section was interesting, but it didn't emphasize the basic idea of "there's more to life and shadowrunning than is dreamt of in your smartlink, Ratio" as much as I might have liked.

-Siege
Critias
Overall, I stick to my guns on this one -- great book, all around.

The only section I wasn't terribly impressed with (Magic in Europe) had less to do with the content itself as the general topic; I don't really care. wink.gif When the worst thing I can say about my least favorite chapter in a sourcebook is "I didn't really read it, 'cause I don't see it mattering a whole lot," things aren't going too shabbily.
Synner
While the stuff in the Old World Magic chapter is indeed geared towards the European roots of the various traditions and their background, we did try to keep it usable for most players, even those in games that don't cross the Pond.

For instance, the background and rules for Wiccans and traditional witches are equally valid in the American, as well as the European theatre. Druids are admittedly rare elsewhere, but that's what the wanderers are for. Norse magicians might be a little out of place too, although you might want to consider those rules if you ever use Winternight for example. Though the varieties of theurgy presented in the Christian Magic section work best for those denominations described, they provide a general outlook for Christian mages of any denomination. The section regarding the hermetic paradigms and the academic conflict, while grounded in Europe, is meant to involve the entire hermetic (academic) magic scene and consequently any character who has had some form of formal hermetic studies whether they be in Boston, Prague or Tokyo.
Siege
Given the multi-national aspects of the world in 2064, I don't think it would be unheard of to find Norse shamans in North America and various plausible reasons abound.

Shark might manifest in some poor slob in the middle of Arizona -> granted, I predict a move in the poor shaman's immediate future, but nothing prevents Shark from appearing to who Shark so desires.

-Siege
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Siege)
Given the multi-national aspects of the world in 2064, I don't think it would be unheard of to find Norse shamans in North America and various plausible reasons abound.

Well states like Minnesota could be a good example of places where Norse magic could crop up thanks to mass immigration from places like Norway and Sweden in the 1800's and onwards. Just look at the type of accent they still have in a lot of the state. smile.gif
Siege
Ya never know where your bloodline runs sometimes - who knows, maybe great Grand-dad has a bit of a history on (in?) him.

-Siege
Crimsondude 2.0
I like to think of the sheer number of German and Jewish immigrants to this area in the SR NAN heartland from the Northeast, and wonder---Whose gods are bigger?
Birdy
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I like to think of the sheer number of German and Jewish immigrants to this area in the SR NAN heartland from the Northeast, and wonder---Whose gods are bigger?

A but them Christians, Muslims and Jews only have one! god that needs to do almost everything (Satan helps out with the "party" stuff). Where we Norse have many that can all fight hard and party harder. And them Angels look a bit frail and undertrained compared to our Valkiries and the fallen Heros from Asgard.

So I bet on the Norse Gods. Maybe with some help from the Greek cousins (Aphrodite should be a useful distraction for the archangels after all those years of "clean" living)

Odin! Odin!

Birdy
FlakJacket
On the rules for surveillance satellites, if any cut parts go up on the site would it be possible to get ratings for places like Asgard or the independents since Shadowrunners are much more likely to use them rather than national networks?
RangerJoe
You know, Birdy, I never thought I'd see the day when this would be supplementary reading for SR. That day has come. biggrin.gif
Tzeentch
-- The rules for surveillance sats don't make a lot of sense (the optical sats are science fantasy) and the "toys" for the spy section were pretty . . . odd . . .(cigarette micro rocket? What is this, Get Smart?).
Synner
It's been a while but yeah, its a very good book and a nice source for inspiration. As is this (for any shaman) and this (as inspiration for hermetic and theurgy ritual magic)
Kanada Ten
(cigarette micro rocket? What is this, Get Smart?)

Um, yeah. You gotta have a little parody in there somewhere. It is Shadowrun after all.

Managed to look through the book at GamerCon. My groups is drooling over the snippets I've divulged. The art was definitely a mixed bag, but some very nice pieces found their way in.
Black Isis
Actually, the cigarette rocket is quite clearly taken from You Only Live Twice, where Bond uses it to kill one of the technicians/guards in SPECTRE's secret launch center control room. smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Or, you know, the RL cigarette gun perhaps.

QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Oct 18 2004, 03:28 AM)

A but them Christians, Muslims and Jews only have one! god that needs to do almost everything (Satan helps out with the "party" stuff). Where we Norse have many that can all fight hard and party harder. And them Angels look a bit frail and undertrained compared to our Valkiries and the fallen Heros from Asgard.

It seems that you missed the point where I mentioned being in the middle of NAN country. The comparison was between indigenous gods and their god. Either way, you've ruined the joke,
Jon Szeto
QUOTE (Tzeentch)
-- The rules for surveillance sats don't make a lot of sense (the optical sats are science fantasy) and the "toys" for the spy section were pretty . . . odd . . .(cigarette micro rocket? What is this, Get Smart?).

What, you missed the Cone of Silence in there? biggrin.gif (probably because Rob renamed it frown.gif ).
mfb
here's a question. the Motion Sense power requires a Perception roll against a TN based on the size of the individual you're trying to get a 'lock' on, with the sense. what perception mods apply to this roll? one assumes that visual mods don't, but what about hearing mods--what about hearing cyber/powers, such as the High-Freq / Spatial Recognizer combo? can you use the bonus dice from the Select Sound Filter for the Perception test? what about the dice from Olfactory Booster?
Herald of Verjigorm
Well, motion sensing would most likely rely on displaced air as a method of detection. That would limit relevant senses to extremely low frequency hearing or touch. So I'd say that you use all tactile modifiers or hearing modifiers if you have low frequency hearing.
mfb
er, gah. it says "through magical sensory perception of the surrounding mana". also says "even when sight, sound, or smell detect nothing". guess my question is answered.
Herald of Verjigorm
Ok, so only modifiers for astral perception would be worth counting.
mfb
hm, possibly. it is blocked by astral barriers.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Jon Szeto)
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Oct 18 2004, 07:02 PM)

What, you missed the Cone of Silence in there? biggrin.gif (probably because Rob renamed it frown.gif ).

And the shadowtalk by Agent 99 rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
AngelGabriel
One thing I don't understand. In the police chapter they state, that some police forces are allowed to use spells such as mind probe and others are not.

I always wanted to know:

Where is proof when a cop mind probes (or just truth analyzes) a shadowrunner? The cop only knows what he was searching for. How can he show it to the judge? What keeps him from arresting and grounding an innocent worker just by telling: "I mindprobed him, HE killed this old lady last night. His alibi is worth a pile of shit!"

You see the problem? As soon as a justice allows mind probes or analyze truth no answers of magical active officers can be trusted anymore.

Did I forget a special rule? Is there a possibility to show a mundane user the result of a mind probing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012