Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsenal Qs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Elve
QUOTE (It trolls! @ Feb 6 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Another question came up yesterday on a German board: Discussing the question, wether you could choose to still inflict stun damage with bone density augmentation/bone lacing. From my point of view this is just an issue of not hitting so freakin' hard but then Rotbart hinted at the description of the Sai (p. 39) which states explicitly that the special thing about this weapon's specialty is that one may choose which damage track he wants to fill.
He derived from that description that you generally can't choose to do stun damage in melee combat by RAW, even though common sense suggests that at least in unarmed combat or with blunt weapons you could aim to knock your opponent out rather than kill him.
Since I didn't come across any other passages concerning this in the rules, this case is rather unclear to me now.

I always ruled it as impossible, which lead to runners using boxing gloves...
Dashifen
Some more errors I ran into, to whom it may concern:

1. There are no statistics (in the tables or in the modification descriptions) for an Amenities vehicle mod at the Low-lifestyle level. However, these are referenced in the description of the Hughes Aerospace Emblem (the shuttle helicopter).
  2. The Black Mariah has a "Closed Circuit System" modification which isn't in the tables or in the modifications list.
  3. The Mimic modification is not in any of the tables that I could find which means we don't know how many slots it takes up, etc.

Fortune
QUOTE (It trolls! @ Feb 7 2008, 01:17 AM) *
Another question came up yesterday on a German board: Discussing the question, wether you could choose to still inflict stun damage with bone density augmentation/bone lacing. From my point of view this is just an issue of not hitting so freakin' hard but then Rotbart hinted at the description of the Sai (p. 39) which states explicitly that the special thing about this weapon's specialty is that one may choose which damage track he wants to fill.
He derived from that description that you generally can't choose to do stun damage in melee combat by RAW, even though common sense suggests that at least in unarmed combat or with blunt weapons you could aim to knock your opponent out rather than kill him.
Since I didn't come across any other passages concerning this in the rules, this case is rather unclear to me now.

There was a rule in previous editions whereby a character could choose to do Stun damage by taking a penalty to his attack (reflecting holding back a bit, or trying to hit the right spot, etc.). I am sure it wouldn't be too out of line to give a -2 Dice Pool penalty for any such attempt.
Fortune
THE UNDERGROUNDECONOMY in bookmarks is not aesthetically pleasing.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 6 2008, 09:26 PM) *
There was a rule in previous editions whereby a character could choose to do Stun damage by taking a penalty to his attack (reflecting holding back a bit, or trying to hit the right spot, etc.). I am sure it wouldn't be too out of line to give a -2 Dice Pool penalty for any such attempt.

No such rule.

In CC, you simply could choose to do stun damage - but that was a tim where blunt weapons always did stun damage. (And both points are not the general case in SR4 anymore)
And you could pull punches and reduce damage with a penalty.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 7 2008, 11:47 AM) *
No such rule.

I am sure I remember a rule similar to what I wrote, but I may be mistaken, or it may have been in an even earlier edition.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 7 2008, 02:47 AM) *
I am sure I remember a rule similar to what I wrote, but I may be mistaken, or it may have been in an even earlier edition.

You might be remembering the reverse of that rule, the prequel to the Vicious Blow maneuver, in Fields of Fire.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (It trolls! @ Feb 6 2008, 09:17 AM) *

Well, you can resort to subduing (SR4, pg 152), which would allows you to specifically inflict stun damage; though it would take at least two Complex Actions to even begin inflicting damage...
Whipstitch
That's not really that big of a problem though; the end of the first action they can't fight back through normal means until they break the lock, and once you do start dealing damage you get to use your full strength rather than strength/2; not all that great for the lighter metas who are depending almost completely on the lacing/density for their damage, but for any troll or ork with 6 strength or higher it means that you'll be dealing damage comparable to what you'd do with bone lacing and one or two net hits. It's not perfect, but it does mean that trolls in particular are perfectly capable of bullying weaker opponents quite effectively.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 7 2008, 01:40 PM) *
You might be remembering the reverse of that rule, the prequel to the Vicious Blow maneuver, in Fields of Fire.

Probably. Still a good idea.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 6 2008, 09:30 AM) *
After hearing Narcoject ™ dart guns were left out of Arsenal while this type of weapon was mentioned already in bbb, I had a thought. Could you replace Yamaha Pulsars ammo with chem darts. They seem to have all right components, propellant, capacitor/chem reservoir and needle. Doable?

Found another reference to "dart guns" in arsenal under heavy armor entry, guess someone did'nt realize they got left out of BBB.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 8 2008, 09:27 AM) *
Found another reference to "dart guns" in arsenal under heavy armor entry, guess someone did'nt realize they got left out of BBB.

QUOTE (Augmentation page 42)
Dartgun: This cyberweapon fires small darts, usually containing
a chemical compound, at the target. If the target takes
damage from a dart it is affected by the chemical compound or
toxin delivered (see Using Toxic Substances, p. 245, SR4). The
dartgun uses light pistol ranges.
Prime Mover
I know theres cyber dart gun and bolt/arrow injector but was wondering if they missed narcoject weapons or just tossed them out of 4th.
Kyoto Kid
...the Cyber Dart Gun is the Oral Dart (kind of silly if you ask me). The issue with bows, even the pistol crossbow is they are too cumbersome (try to conceal a Jenningscompound bow under your longcoat).

The original dart/Narcojet pistol had a concealbility of 7 which in 4th ed would place it in the light pistol class. Now if they grouped the Ares Super Squirt under Pistols skill (as it was in 3rd ed) that would be fine. As a matter of fact I am seriosuly considering doing just that in my campaigns for it is a way too useful weapon to limit to a "special" skill.
Abbandon
If you take the two weapon style fighting does that negate the -2 to your off hand or would you still need the ambidextrous quality or off-handed training manuever??

Whipstitch
You need ambi/off-hand.
Ravor
If you lump dartguns, squirters, ect under pistols then lasers should get the same love as well. cyber.gif
hobgoblin
not sure if anyone have asked yet, but have people find any kind of battletac like software or hardware in the recent books?

it seems to have gone the way of the dodo, replaced by a generic +1-3 when cooperating using comlinks and ar...
Fortune
As far as I know, something akin to Battletac will be included in Unwired.
Ravor
I seem to recall Synner teasing us about it awhile back, in one of the AUG threads if I remember correctly when a poster asked if it was going to appear in ARSE.
hobgoblin
heh, i should have guessed given how its most likely just a software addon to the comlink now.

something like a specialized im/collaboration tool or something.
knasser

R3ds4muri wishes to join your network. Accept / Reject?
jago668
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 9 2008, 05:05 AM) *
R3ds4muri wishes to join your network. Accept / Reject?

That would make me want to have a automatic return message of troll on orc gay sex for my rejects. Then you just start shooting towards the screaming.
hobgoblin
ugh, my leetspeak is out of practice. i had to read that 3-4 times before it got the joke biggrin.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 8 2008, 06:13 PM) *
I know theres cyber dart gun and bolt/arrow injector but was wondering if they missed narcoject weapons or just tossed them out of 4th.

If they were ruled like the cyber-dartgun, it's better they are gone:
Darts doing Damage themselves is just... wrong.
knasser

Actually I've given myself an idea. Wouldn't it be amusing if, perhaps because a PC forgot to set their commlink to private or switch their profile to a fake ID, they found themselves in a similar online community to one or several of the guards. It would completely change the nature of the run as the message comes up:

"Hey, you're a Seahawks fan? You were the guy behind me at the match last week, weren't you?"
Fortune
QUOTE (Ravor @ Feb 9 2008, 05:35 PM) *
I seem to recall Synner teasing us about it awhile back, in one of the AUG threads if I remember correctly when a poster asked if it was going to appear in ARSE.

It was a Synner teaser to which I was referring, but a teaser for Unwired (it was probably a teaser for all upcoming books biggrin.gif). As hobgoblin said though, BattleTac will be software in SR4, and Unwired is the appropriate place.
Stahlseele
i THINK i asked this question allready, but i somehow can't seem to find the post . .
Are there rules for more than 2 or 4 or 6 legs for an anthro-form-drone?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 9 2008, 07:29 AM) *
i THINK i asked this question allready, but i somehow can't seem to find the post . .
Are there rules for more than 2 or 4 or 6 legs for an anthro-form-drone?

Anthroform is a bastardization from anthropomorphic. Anthropo comes from a Greek word meaning "human." As humans only have two legs, a drone with more than two legs would no longer be an anthroform drone.
Stahlseele
i was thinking about a human sized drone body with 8 spider-legs but the torso and head of a human more or less . . maybe make it magical and bingo, sarpedon of the blood drinkers is there to hurt you . . so would that be a crawler? or something else entirely?
hobgoblin
i think the walker vehicle modification have in it that anything larger then a small drone have only two legs.

makes as much sense as the rest of the mod...

still, that means one can turn a delivery truck into a mech, complete with guns wink.gif
Stahlseele
god damn it o.o;,
why did i not think of that ? x.x . .
one could probably even build a LAM with the lighter than air mod O.o . .
And then there's the mechanical Arms Option too o.O . .
*Slips into his Lab-Coat* they called me mad, i will show them all!
For Transformers there's no rule as of yet right? *g*
Also that Small is still a bit dodgy when it comes to sizes . . would Anthroform be small?
would Human Sized be Small? damn it, now i need to reread that again <.< . .
Prime Mover
QUOTE (jago668 @ Feb 9 2008, 04:43 AM) *
That would make me want to have a automatic return message of troll on orc gay sex for my rejects. Then you just start shooting towards the screaming.

Funny thing is I actually did make a noise when I read this, it would work for picking people out of nearby crowd! lol
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 9 2008, 02:28 PM) *
Funny thing is I actually did make a noise when I read this, it would work for picking people out of nearby crowd! lol

reminds me of something fun one can do with bluetooth phones, send over your "contact" with a custom message as name, like say "look behind you", and then watch for someone turning around wink.gif
Ravor
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 9 2008, 04:55 AM) *
It was a Synner teaser to which I was referring, but a teaser for Unwired (it was probably a teaser for all upcoming books biggrin.gif). As hobgoblin said
though, BattleTac will be software in SR4, and Unwired is the appropriate place.

Aye, but if I remember correctly it appeared in one of the AUG threads that popped up after the book was released and was Synner answering whether or not battletech would appear in ARSE or not. cyber.gif

Of course, my aging memory could be mistaken.
Fortune
It's from this thread ...

QUOTE (Synner)
Tactical Computers will be reintroduced in SR4 in Unwired.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 9 2008, 12:26 PM) *
Wouldn't it be amusing if, perhaps because a PC forgot to set their commlink to private or switch their profile to a fake ID, they found themselves in a similar online community to one or several of the guards.

Amusing forgetfulness forced by the GM isn't.
knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 10 2008, 08:22 AM) *
Amusing forgetfulness forced by the GM isn't.

I don't force.

I wait...
Rotbart van Dainig
Yeah, pretty much like waiting for the PCs to explode because the never took a leak.
knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 10 2008, 12:56 PM) *
Yeah, pretty much like waiting for the PCs to explode because the never took a leak.

You know you're right. I must suck as a GM. In future I will avoid any scenario that could be exaggerated to the absurd point of a player character exploding because the player never told me they were having a piss. Then my gm'ing will be okay, yes?

-K.
jago668
Well certain things have to be taken for granted. Like that the characters take time to eat, urinate, etc. Now certain characters do to how they are built, setup, etc are going to take certain precautions. You can be pretty sure a hacker is going to secure his network. That they all lock the door before going to bed. There are probably things that some super awesome sneaky ninja does that I have no clue about. So if I play one you generally have to figure they (the character) are going to be doing some of the small stuff that I would never think of since it isn't what I do.
knasser
Well seems that all I did was make a comment that it would be amusing for a guard and a PC to suddenly realise that they had some social connection in the middle of a run and suggest some ways that could come about. In return for which I've been getting some heavy implications that I derive my gaming pleasure from tripping up the players nastily.

Instead of seeing a weak opportunity to jump at my supposed playing style, it might have been more productive to run with the idea and see what could be gained from it. For example, I didn't specify that the run was taking place in the dead of night during some infiltration. I've had runs take place in the middle of Bellevue (a kidnapping run) and one time in the middle of a busy mall (in the Aztechnology Pyramid in Seattle, as it happens). Both venues in which going silent with the commlink would raise all sorts of alarms. And PCs may well have a fake SIN and commlink that they have used for other legitimate purposes (such as buying sports tickets). And a high-rating fake SIN probably does have some community memberships because it would be suspicious without them. Imagine if you tried to pass off an online identity that had no forum posts, PMs or social emails of any kind. My reading of the BBB says that it's normal for people to be broadcasting their social networking details and often considered rude not to. Certainly people in posh areas are stated to be targets of suspicion if they're operating in Hidden mode.

None of this is particularly stretching things to bring about some online contact. It was also assumed (for purposes of having a go at me), that I'm automatically running an "elite Black Ops" style game, which I'm not. My new campaign is starting off fairly low-key with inexperienced runners.

It's not exactly me saying "Har har! You forgot to tell me you were taking a leak and your character now dies from an exploding bladder" which is what I've received in return.

Characters realising they have some sort of social connection with their opposition - good role-playing opportunity as stated. Take that and go with it. Don't think "Ah ha! Here's a chance for me to put down Khadim." Try the benefit of the doubt, sometime.
Ian Argent
FWIW, I thought it was a) amusing, and b) somethign that could happen... As in "I was doing an extraction while the target was out shopping and one of his bodyguards recognized me for the ballgame - how embarrassing is that?" kind of thing. a pants-shitter while on the run, worth a drink or two afterwards, is all.
Prime Mover
Mig 67 art looks alot like the old Banshee, is this just general pic for this class of LaV or an error?
Ryu
The Banshee looks different. Some art is older, but usually the name is mostly the same.
BlackHat
Does anyone know if they clarrified anywhere how interrupt/reaction actions work (in the BBB maybe?)

Take for example, two swordsman with the riposte maneuver. If one of them took a swing at the other, could they take turns parrying and countering over and over until one of them scored a hit (and then both be out of actions for a long time?) or can you only borrow your NEXT action as a reaction, and can't do another one until you get to your next action phase and pay off your action debt?

Seems like it could get sort of silly with Finishing Move. Effectively, as long as he keeps landing hits, a character could continue to 20-hit-combo his opponent... but afterwards, he'll just be standing there for several rounds (so hopefully it was a one-on-one battle).
hobgoblin
makes me think of the interrupt rules in magic the gathering, but with infinite number of cards in hand...
Moon-Hawk
It would make sense to me that you could only borrow your next action, but AFAIK that's not anywhere in the rules.
jago668
Or limit it to only borrowing up to one turns worth.
Ryu
You loose your next action, not the next available action. So you´re out of luck if your next action is not available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012