Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsenal Qs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
jago668
Eh, it depends on how you want to read that. Say you get 4 initiative passes, labeled 1 2 3 4. Now on 1 you borrow an action taking away 2, so you have 3 and 4 left. Well if you go to borrow again your next action isn't 2 anymore it is 3. Well 3 is still there so you borrow it. Now your next action is 4, since you just borrowed 3.

I understand completely what you are saying with the next action being unavailable. In my example there if you were on 1 and borrowed 2 you can't borrow 3 until you get past 2. Just pointing out that until it is officially decided and errata or a faq put up. Then either reading could be valid, depending on how a group wanted to do it. Hence me just tossing up a limit of one turns worth of borrowing if you want to go with the first example. No special rules necessary if going with your example.
hobgoblin
it seems the first places it shows up in with full defense, and there as a special rule for it only.

sadly it do not seem like anyone had the foresight to turn it into a generic rule, with spelled out limits and so on.
BlackHat
Actually it says "next available action"... which, if your "next action" isn't available because you already used it, would mean the action after that. Still, its probably not Rules-As-Intended.

Edit: didn't see there was another page of replies. But, yeah, people seem to agree that the rule wasn't well-structured, and it probably wasn't intended to allow some sort of Tekken 100-hit-combo.
Ryu
Lost in translation then. The german rules speak of the next action.
nathanross
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 10 2008, 09:05 AM) *
Well seems that all I did was make a comment that it would be amusing for a guard and a PC to suddenly realise that they had some social connection in the middle of a run and suggest some ways that could come about. In return for which I've been getting some heavy implications that I derive my gaming pleasure from tripping up the players nastily.

Instead of seeing a weak opportunity to jump at my supposed playing style, it might have been more productive to run with the idea and see what could be gained from it. For example, I didn't specify that the run was taking place in the dead of night during some infiltration. I've had runs take place in the middle of Bellevue (a kidnapping run) and one time in the middle of a busy mall (in the Aztechnology Pyramid in Seattle, as it happens). Both venues in which going silent with the commlink would raise all sorts of alarms. And PCs may well have a fake SIN and commlink that they have used for other legitimate purposes (such as buying sports tickets). And a high-rating fake SIN probably does have some community memberships because it would be suspicious without them. Imagine if you tried to pass off an online identity that had no forum posts, PMs or social emails of any kind. My reading of the BBB says that it's normal for people to be broadcasting their social networking details and often considered rude not to. Certainly people in posh areas are stated to be targets of suspicion if they're operating in Hidden mode.

None of this is particularly stretching things to bring about some online contact. It was also assumed (for purposes of having a go at me), that I'm automatically running an "elite Black Ops" style game, which I'm not. My new campaign is starting off fairly low-key with inexperienced runners.

It's not exactly me saying "Har har! You forgot to tell me you were taking a leak and your character now dies from an exploding bladder" which is what I've received in return.

Characters realising they have some sort of social connection with their opposition - good role-playing opportunity as stated. Take that and go with it. Don't think "Ah ha! Here's a chance for me to put down Khadim." Try the benefit of the doubt, sometime.

While it may sometimes be mean of the GM to take what the characters say literally and expect them to detail every single action that their character does (as well as keep track of all the gear they are carrying at any one time), we would never have funny stories like the C.L.U.E files otherwise. Also runs would be boring if the GM assumed from the get go that the characters never exposed a single weakness, and that the way they chose to do the run is the safest way just because they chose to do it that way. The GM has to think of ways in which the characters may have tripped up. This is why I always make sure to detail my characters habits and schedule off runs. This way if he has someone shoot me while Im in bed, I can say that I dont sleep in my bed or even in my apartment, but in my neighbor's (a loner who I offed a while ago) closet. It is mainly the runners responsibility to tell the GM all their paranoid actions.

BTW, Knasser, what happened to the C.L.U.E files? Last I checked you were up to 9, but now it seems to go no where. Is this on purpose?
BlackHat
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 11 2008, 06:09 PM) *
Lost in translation then. The german rules speak of the next action.

Yeah, "next action" is probably what was intended. I wouldn't be surprised if it found its way into the errata or the FAQ.
knasser
QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 11 2008, 11:48 PM) *
BTW, Knasser, what happened to the C.L.U.E files? Last I checked you were up to 9, but now it seems to go no where. Is this on purpose?

My site was down a while ago due to me deciding to scrap it because my game had fallen apart and I didn't have prospect of a new group at the time. I decided to put the Shadowrun page only back up due to the many nice emails I got about it. But it remains in a half-state without me willing to put much time into it at the moment. I may or may not put it back properly (along with the C.L.U.E. files) at some point in the future, but it's not a good use of my time, right now. Sorry.

-Khadim.
Rotbart van Dainig
When cutting through barriers, the DV of the mini welder from the main book is 15.

The Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly from Arsenal can come equipped with a micro welder that has a DV of 3 and AP -1 against vehicles and a DV of 1 and AP +1 against other targets.
Any suggestions what DV should be considered when cutting barriers?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 12 2008, 10:26 AM) *
When cutting through barriers, the DV of the mini welder from the main book is 15.

The Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly from Arsenal can come equipped with a micro welder that has a DV of 3 and AP -1 against vehicles and a DV of 1 and AP +1 against other targets.
Any suggestions what DV should be considered when cutting barriers?

I'm probably just say they're the exact same thing, which conveniently answers the inevitable question of what happens when someone tries to use the miniwelder from the main book as a weapon. I know it says you can't, but c'mon, don't say "can't", make it an exotic weapon and give it a crap DV.
MaxHunter
The first, IMO (as against vehicles)

Cheers!

Max
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, in that case, it wouldn't be able to cut vehicles at all, given the barrier rating of vehicle parts.
Handling it the same way as the miniwelder, and vice versa seems a nice choice... it's always good to have same things ruled the same.
(Yes, I'm looking at you, Geckotape - in the main book, you can't even hang from a wet wall and in arsenal, not only you can, but also deactivate.).

BTW:
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 314, Drones)
Renraku Stormcloud: This solar-powered mini-blimp can stay in the air for days high above its surveillance target.

QUOTE ("Arsenal @ p. 106, Core Rulebook Vehicle Standard Upgrades)
Renraku Stormcloud: Lighter than Air, Clearsight 3 autosoft

Emphasis mine.
So where is the SunCell-Upgrade for the RS?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 12 2008, 01:08 PM) *
So where is the SunCell-Upgrade for the RS?

smile.gif Good catch.
BookWyrm
Still waiting for that preview.
Cardul
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 9 2008, 04:05 AM) *
R3ds4muri wishes to join your network. Accept / Reject?

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 9 2008, 05:08 AM) *
ugh, my leetspeak is out of practice. i had to read that 3-4 times before it got the joke biggrin.gif

I didn't...I still don't get the joke.
Fuchs
R3ds4muri = Red Samurai (Renraku's elite corp sec)
BlackHat
QUOTE ("SR4v3 @ p. 314 @ Drones")
Renraku Stormcloud: This solar-powered mini-blimp can stay in the air for days high above its surveillance target.

See, without sun-cell, the blimp can stay aloft for 60 hours which is "days".
With suncell, the thing would be regenerating power faster that it was using it, and would regenerate the previous night's usage during the next day... so it would be able to stay in the air forever. Since that doesn't match the description, I would say that it doesn't have SunCell, despite being solar powered. SunCell could just be a new awesome kind of solar power, or the solor power the Stormcloud has could be teh suck. In any case, 60 hours sounds more like the operation time they had in mind for that drone, out of the box.

Edit: And, of course, by "new", I recognise that SunCell has been in the rigger books for a long time. wink.gif Its nothing new.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, given the ruling of SunCell, that calculation isn't quite correct. wink.gif
BlackHat
Ah, yes, I suppose it does say that it just uses up consumables at half the rate during the day. That's silly.
Rotbart is all over me this morning. wink.gif

Okay, so I suppose, SunCell, or no, the thing will only be up in the air for a few days (unless you had it fly all night, and sleep all day, but your GM might rule that turning the thing off while its flying would either cause it to sink to the earth or float off into the air). I suppose then, since it does say "solar powered" I would expect it to have SunCell too.
Fortune
Another typo ...

QUOTE (Arsenal pg 38)
Inferno Rocket: The so-called Inferno rocket is an infamous type of weapon. The rocket’s warhead contains a large amount of a highly flammable misture closely related to napalm

mixture!
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Arsenal @ p. 118, Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly)
The Dragonfly is equipped with Targeting (Close Combat) 4 autosoft.

Targeting Autosofts use specific skills, not skillgroups - and the weaponery itself would be considered unusual implant weapons.
Thus, it should be 'Targeting (Exotic Melee Weapon (per variant))'.
Cardul
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Feb 13 2008, 09:11 AM) *
R3ds4muri = Red Samurai (Renraku's elite corp sec)

Ah..OK..I read it as Reds For Muri, and it jsut did not make sense to me. Then again, I don't deal with leet-speak much working at a business hotell wink.gif
Nightwalker450
Page 109, Rover 2068 has Anti-Theft 2. There isn't a rating on Anti-Theft System.

Pg 109, Tata Hotspur, Has Engine Customization. (I assume its for Speed, but it doesn't designate)
Nightwalker450
Ok, question with std upgrades, that come equipped. Do we assume that the stats are with these included? i.e. The Horizon Doble Revolution shouldn't have +5 Handling due to Smart Tires.

Or should we assume that these modification are in there, but haven't been applied to their base stats yet? The Tata Hotspur between offroad suspension (which I've been assuming isn't applied), and smart tires, should have more than a +1 handling?

But on this same one, if they aren't applied yet, then the Tata actually has a speed of 240 which puts it on par with the Eurocar (unmodified for speed).

I'm starting to think that modifications to speed/accel are already handled, but modifications to handling (especially off-road/on-road, but smart tires also a possibility) have not been taken care of.
Rotbart van Dainig
Standard Upgrade stats modifiers are alread included.

The +5 Handling with smart tires is possible for hte Cyclops, though.
Nightwalker450
The Cyclops already has Smart Tires as Standard Upgrade. So if they're already included it would be only +3 (same as monocycle), would have to do something other than smart tires to improve it, and removing them puts it at only +1, but would increase speed and accel by 20%.

Also if included, handling should be assumed to be the average between on-road and off-road? Off-Road Suspension, this is a simple -1, +1. For Tracked would this be -2, +2, or otherwise stated the untracked version of the vehicle would have a Handling 1 less than listed?

Does Limited Maneuverabilty effectively add 4 slots to a drone? +4 is usually for subsets of devices (ie Weapon Mounts), but since this isn't a subset, thats what I'm thinking.

I'm trying to convert the vehicles to a "No-Standard upgrades" chart. That way I can handle whatever changes might need to be made (example tracked->hovercraft).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Feb 15 2008, 03:54 PM) *
The Cyclops already has Smart Tires as Standard Upgrade.

Nope:
QUOTE ("Arsenal @ p. 108, Entertainment Systems Cyclops (Monocycle))
Std. Upgrades: Assembly Time Improvement, Motorcycle Gyro Stabilization
Nightwalker450
Ack, you switched bikes on me! I was talking about the Horizon Doble orinally. Smart tires would not give it +5 (it already has them), The cyclops yes would get to +5 if it used Smart Tires.

*mutter mutter* nyahnyah.gif

Anyways my other questions...
QUOTE (Me)
Also if included, handling should be assumed to be the average between on-road and off-road? Off-Road Suspension, this is a simple -1, +1. For Tracked would this be -2, +2, or otherwise stated the untracked version of the vehicle would have a Handling 1 less than listed?

Does Limited Maneuverabilty effectively add 4 slots to a drone? +4 is usually for subsets of devices (ie Weapon Mounts), but since this isn't a subset, thats what I'm thinking.
Rotbart van Dainig
Handling is general handling, that means, on street - offroad handling only exists for those vehicles... and thus, they have a handling bonus of +2/+4.
Nightwalker450
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 15 2008 @ 12:16 PM)
Handling is general handling, that means, on street - offroad handling only exists for those vehicles... and thus, they have a handling bonus of +2/+4.

Is there a reference for that? Not questioning it, it makes sense (Roads are there for a reason, so default to using them), just wondering if I missed this mentioned somewhere.
Rotbart van Dainig
AFAIK, there is no reference whatsoever for the distinction Off- & On-Road Handling even existing - except from said modifications.

And if Arsenal ruling is the reference for Unwired... we might as well write our own rules since important stuff might be simply missing.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Arsenal @ p. 148, Smart or Not?)
A standard weapon is considered a “dumb� device with no Device rating and no wireless connection, so it cannot interact with the Matrix nor can it be manipulated through it.

Doesn't add up with:
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 306, Firearms)
A digital ammunition counter and wireless capability are standard equipment for modern firearms.
hobgoblin
i guess its likely a case of one writer not reading what another wrote...

still, the rule of thumb is that if books contradict, the most resent is right wink.gif
(and yes, i know what have been "promised")
Ryu
I´m for seamlessly integrating it by saying that the weapon comlink is standard equipment for modern firearms, it just did not make it into the main book.
Feshy
I finally bought the PDF today, and had some time to look over it. Here's some complaints:

Vehicle Modification - Armor: I had to read this section three times to understand it. There's a whole paragraph on smart armor, and following that paragraph the very next sentence reads "A vehicle can either have normal armor or concealed armor." Where's that smart armor we just read about fit in? It took me a while to realize that smart armor is an option you can get in addition to normal armor. Of course, the smart armor paragraph says things like "smart armor is superior to normal armor" and "smart armor can not be concealed" which very much give the impression that smart armor is a third type of armor rather than one that can be in addition to normal armor.

Secondly, on that same subject, Concealed and Smart armors list ratings of 1-20, even though they both cap at 10.

Thirdly, again on that same subject, there is no mention of how the armor that is included with nearly every vehicle in the book is treated. Is that Mercury Comet steel-plated, or is that armor concealed? It seems like it must be (excepting security vehicles), if everyday vehicles don't draw unwanted attention.

Weapon Modification - Propulsion System (Flying) -- this mod takes up 8 slots. Weapons have 6 slots. Does this mean that this modification really costs nuyen.gif 40,000+ and requires game master approval every time?

PDF issues:

JPG blocks are "teh suk" -- and they are so extremely obvious on the plain gray backgrounds that have the vehicle pictures. In a world of terrabyte-sized hard drives, saving a bit of extra space with overly aggressive jpeg compression is a bad idea.

OMG CAPITAL BOOKMARKS EVERYWHERE. THEY ARE HARD TO READ.

That said, thank you very much for the (unfortunately optional) rules limiting armor modifications.
Feshy
One more: Why do Emotitoys rating 1-3 cost 1/2 as much as the emotion sense software they run -- and emotitoys rating 4-6 cost 1/5 as much as the software they run?

No wonder they are so popular with shadowrunners wink.gif
MaxHunter
Hey, I just caught on the Pravin Lal quote! Great game that!

Cheers,

Max
siel
QUOTE (Feshy @ Feb 17 2008, 08:14 PM) *
I finally bought the PDF today, and had some time to look over it. Here's some complaints:

Vehicle Modification - Armor: I had to read this section three times to understand it. There's a whole paragraph on smart armor, and following that paragraph the very next sentence reads "A vehicle can either have normal armor or concealed armor." Where's that smart armor we just read about fit in? It took me a while to realize that smart armor is an option you can get in addition to normal armor. Of course, the smart armor paragraph says things like "smart armor is superior to normal armor" and "smart armor can not be concealed" which very much give the impression that smart armor is a third type of armor rather than one that can be in addition to normal armor.

Secondly, on that same subject, Concealed and Smart armors list ratings of 1-20, even though they both cap at 10.

Thirdly, again on that same subject, there is no mention of how the armor that is included with nearly every vehicle in the book is treated. Is that Mercury Comet steel-plated, or is that armor concealed? It seems like it must be (excepting security vehicles), if everyday vehicles don't draw unwanted attention.

but.. the book says
"A vehicle can either have normal armor or concealed armor. A vehicle with normal armor can be further equipped with smart armor. The maximum armor rating of each armor type a vehicle can have is twice its Body rating (or three times its Body rating for drones of the micro, mini, small, medium, and large size), up to a maximum of 20 with normal armor or 10 with concealed or smart armor."

So you have normal armor and can get smart armor on top of that.
The next part does seem a bit confusing. It seems to suggest concealed armor or smart armor only goes up to rating 10.

As for what the vehicles from core came with, there's a table on page 106. The limo's concealed armor of 12 suggest concealed armor can go above 10.
Rotbart van Dainig
The standard modifications for Vehicles, including armor, are listed on p. 106.

Also, standard armor is design-interal while sharing the legal status of the vehicle - and not upgraded, but replaced by the modification.
ICPick
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 8 2008, 12:22 PM) *
...the Cyber Dart Gun is the Oral Dart (kind of silly if you ask me). The issue with bows, even the pistol crossbow is they are too cumbersome (try to conceal a Jenningscompound bow under your longcoat).

The original dart/Narcojet pistol had a concealbility of 7 which in 4th ed would place it in the light pistol class. Now if they grouped the Ares Super Squirt under Pistols skill (as it was in 3rd ed) that would be fine. As a matter of fact I am seriosuly considering doing just that in my campaigns for it is a way too useful weapon to limit to a "special" skill.

I believe, that originally the Supersquirt was the SMG class squirt (that did a shotgun spray as well), and the squirt was the light pistol class...... I could be wrong.
KnightHawkRP
I have a question on the PDF books in general. Can you print them? I know some pdf's are locked against that because they dont want us to reproduce, and I understand that... but I would really like to have a tabletop copy I can print out for reference. The computer is in another room and I dont like having to run back and forth if we have questions. Plus, Its just easier to thumb through something you can hold.
GoldenAri
I printed out the tables in the back for quick reference, so I'd assume you can print the whole thing.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ICPick @ Feb 18 2008, 12:37 PM) *
I believe, that originally the Supersquirt was the SMG class squirt (that did a shotgun spray as well), and the squirt was the light pistol class...... I could be wrong.

...that would be the Ares Cascade Rifle which in 3rd ed required either Rifle or Assault Rifle skill.

Could be that I messed up on the name and it was just called the Ares Squirt back in 3rd ed. Currently at work and don't have my PDFs handy to verify this.
Feshy
Why is a "Large Desktop Forge" :nuyen:150,000, availability 16R, while a "Workshop Forge" -- which is the same thing but mounted to a truck -- :nuyen:100,000 cheaper (though harder to find at 20R)?
TonkaTuff
The DMSO gun was just the 'Ares Squirt' in 1st edtion (Shadowtech). In 2nd, presumably, it became the SuperSquirt (though I don't have a book to cite here, working backwards puts its origins here - also, I think they mentioned it by name in the Dragonheart books). In 3rd, it was the SuperSquirt II (Man and Machine). And, obviously, in 4th edition, it's the SuperSquirt III. The Cascade has always (to my knowledge) been the name of the rifle version since it was introduced in 2nd edition (I don't see it in the 1st edition gear list).

Fortunately, it's extremely easy to convert the Cascade over because the weapon has no base damage code to shoehorn into the new system, and the general operating mechanics still exist (DMSO+chem application, weapon ranges, shotgun chokes/spreads, etc).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Arsenal @ p. 106, Core Rulebook Vehicle Standard Upgrades)
GM-Nissan Doberman: Walker Mode, Weapon Mount (external, fixed, remote control), Clearsight 3 and Targeting 3 autosofts
Steel Lynx Combat Drone: Weapon Mount (external, fixed, remote control), Defense 3 and Targeting 3 autosofts

Both drones have turrets, not fixed weapon mounts. (Fixed mounts are pretty useless for patrol drones.)
Ryu
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 19 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Both drones have turrets, not fixed weapon mounts. (Fixed mounts are pretty useless for patrol drones.)

I´d say those drones are primary combat vehicles without secondary functions, so they could actually afford to point towards the enemy. Alltough from the image of the steel lynx, at least flexible flexibility (GAH!) is in order. (And btw., those drones are now officially not including a weapon.) A turret would be nice, but does not fit without over-modification.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 19 2008, 02:37 PM) *
I´d say those drones are primary combat vehicles without secondary functions, so they could actually afford to point towards the enemy.

Not really, as they are ground-based and can't easily turn - see the Flexibility description.
And they were always designed as drones with a turret.

QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 19 2008, 02:37 PM) *
A turret would be nice, but does not fit without over-modification.

Factory-included mods don't count towards the slot max.
So there is no such thing as overmodification for standard mods.
Ryu
Cool. In that case the fix is rather easy. Turret - granted.
martindv
Is that a helicarrier that all the rigger pods are escaping from in page... 120(?)

I should have brought the book with me.
Ryu
I think you mean the pic on pg. 140. No Idea what that is supposed to be. There seems to be some kind of vector-trust propulsion included (on the rigger cocoons); the large blimp? does not remind me of any SR vehicle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012