Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D20 Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
mfb
except that the entire vitality point system is based on the idea that vp = near misses and hits which don't do any serious damage. like soaking a wound in SR, basically. in Spycraft, you don't dodge and soak damage--you mark of vitality points.

lilt, what are you talking about? if SRd20 was made, the 'variants' it used would be canon. no one here is advocating just slopping cyberware and submachine guns into D&D and calling it SR. hell, i'm not even advocating a d20 SR game--i'm just defending d20 from common misconceptions. i don't want SRd20, i'm perfectly happy with the current system.
Lilt
I think that many people have a problem with the vitality system simply because it's not realistic. It represents near misses ETC but that dosen't happen like that IRL.

mfb: that point was directed at bwdemon. I was talking about my point on P7 that the current variations of the D20 rules set are effectively just sets of houserules, so if the D20 system can be defended with examples of how it can make sense then it's perfectly valid to point-out house-rules to the SR system that make it better. What is being talked about here is the creation of a new SR rules-set. I am suggesting that changing the existing system would be preferable to creating an entierly new rules set based on the D20 core system.
mfb
it doesn't happen like what, IRL? because, IRL, people don't dodge bullets, either. if someone's shooting at you, there's not a lot you can do except make sure there's something between you and him--all the ninja-flippy stuff just means you'll die in mid-air instead of on your feet.

and, oh. now your comment makes a lot more sense!
Lilt
People don't dodge bullets. If you saw someone aiming at you, however, then you could theoretically dive out of the way to set his aiming off. In SR that works as a combat pool dodge, possibly assisted by having a trained and honed body (=the athletics skill) allowing you to move in a more extreme manner. In D20 that is either represented by Vitality or HP, yet it somehow lets you dodge people shooting you from behind or with a sniper rifle from 1km away.

[edit]and on another note: Why on earth would the troll with a huge constitution be better at dodging than anyone else? It makes no sense[/edit]
mfb
your constitution allows you to ignore larger amounts of damage--to keep going after more flesh wounds, more muscle strains. it also means that d20 takes into account something that SR doesn't: fatigue. in SR you can hop around in combat all day long and never get winded; in d20, all that hopping and ducking eventually takes a toll, as your vitality points decrease. as for being shot from behind or from extreme distances--well, like i said. neither system is perfect.
Lilt
There are rules for fatigue though. They're in the SRComp (p47).
mfb
you'll note that fatigue applies to running, not to ducking and dodging and nearly dying.
Lilt
It wouldn't be that major a modification to apply fatigue to rounds where the character does any strenuous physical activities rather than just running. After-all: it's about as much a part of the SR core rules as vitality is part of the D20 core rules. That is to say: Neither are.
mfb
we already went over this, lilt. you can't argue about d20 rules, and then magically say "well, i wasn't talking about those d20 rules" when we've been talking about those d20 rules for the entire thread.
toturi
Can we agree that D20 covers a lot more ground(has more Canon variants) than SR? Otherwise it is really useless to talk anymore. Becuse everyone is talking about different things.
Playing Games
I want a character that gets possed by spirits that he conjures,but without the ability to cast spells.
mfb
easy. barbarian, spirits grant him great strength and power in battle.
Austere Emancipator
GM: The 660gr .50BMG FMJ enters the center of your chest at 2500fps and plows a 4" diameter hole through your torso. You are starting to feel a bit fatigued.

I'm trying to get my hands on the Spycraft rules, but that might take a while. Meanwhile it still seems to me like mid-level d20 characters can take a lot more punishment than they could with SR rules. Even if my 5th level CyberTroll did take a slight hit in Dexterity and Strength, the fact remains that he can take 6 decent hits from a Barrett and remain conscious and in the fight. That kind of stuff could never happen in SR, where soaking Barrett hits is nearly impossible without extremely heavy armor.

By the time the characters get to the 10+ levels, they can be like Neo: They won't have to dodge. They can just stand there, take a few HMG bursts, laugh at the enemy's pathetic attempts to kill them and then proceed to blast the enemy away. Even if you pump a SR Trolls Body up to ~20 and get him ~10 CP, he still won't stand a chance of soaking the really big damages (12+ Power).

Unless the Vitality Point rules can really cripple someone after a few decent hits, d20 still ends up very Superhero-ish at some point.

There are a few things you could do to reduce this effect. For example:
Make the Fortitude save DC from Massive Damage either 15 or (amount of damage over 5). If you take 30 damage and that's higher than your Massive Damage Treshold, you've got to succeed in a Fort save with DC 25 or be reduced to -1 hit points. Combined with larger dice for the big guns and some tuning of the guns all around (shotguns -> 2d12, .50BMG -> 2d20, for example), this might make even the high-level characters be wary of firefights.
mfb
austere, i really think you're missing the point. yes, rules-wise you can stand still and just eat bullets all day. but i can twist the rules in SR to come up with some pretty absurd situations, too. if that's how you're describing your loss of vp, that's between you and your GM.
Austere Emancipator
If there are absurd situations in SR, feel free to comment on them, and we can discuss how to correct them with a few house rules. That's what I'm doing with the d20: I'm trying to see what things are most "wrong" about it, and then trying to figure out how these things might be corrected.

For example, I believe the d20 Modern rules regarding taking damage from firearms are broken, which is shown well in the examples I have given. So I mentioned at least one way of getting them back into shape. If there are more, let's have them.

I've never said d20 is inferior or anything. I'm really trying to find ways to make it playable. I don't think a system where high-level runners can just stand in front of M2HBs and not be the least bit afraid of being killed or even severely injured fits the SR world.

How would you describe the above troll getting maximum damage (24) from a non-crit Barrett hit? For example if a sniper hit Mr CyberTroll (MasDamTreshold 28, 85HP) with a margin of 15, but only rolled a 19 and didn't score a crit, and then proceeded to roll 24 on 2d12 -- how would you as a GM describe the damage?
mfb
i'd have the round glance off of a particularly thick and well-angled plate, or graze him, or even miss completely by a millimeter or two.
Austere Emancipator
Now if the sniper in question had been a PC, don't you think the player might be a bit pissed off? After all, he just rolled the second best possible hit there is, and rolled the most damage that hit could possible have done, and the numbers indicate that he hit extremely well.

With descriptions like those, it's basically saying that you cannot hit a high-HP Troll well -- with anything less than a 120mm cannon, you'll always just be grazing him or missing completely.
Lilt
MFB: That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was saying that SR also has rules for fatigue, and that using a variant on them to apply fatigue to combat and similar is not that much of a stretch.

Reading through the D20 FAQ; it appears that you can make a game do whatever you want and still call it a D20 game. You could probably even publish the current SR BBB with a D20 logo on it and, as-long as you paid the lisencing fee, it would be fine. Actually: I'd like to know what people (specifically anyone who thinks D20 SR is a good idea) thing the D20 SR system would look like. Would there be classes? Would there be Levels? Would it use HPs or Vitality/Wounds? Would weapon damage still be rolled? How would Cyberware work? How would Magic work? Just the basic concepts, preferably with refference to current D20 system variants for speed. At-least then we can have a discussion we all understand.
mfb
in the back of Spycraft, there's an option where nobody has any vitality points at all--all damage goes straight to wound points. me, i think it's a little harsh--but it's certainly realistic.
ting-bu-dong
Hi,
there have been several complaints here about the "realism" of a hit point system. D20, for example, does not assume you are standing there in the middle of the line of fire. It assumes you try to dodge, move around, etc.
If a character would stand in front of a shotgun blast and not try to evade it, he would be dead no matter how many digits his hit point total has.
Hit points only mean how good you are at surviving letahl situations, like combat pool or a high body score in shadowrun do. If you choose to take the bullet, you are not even trying to survive, so that bullet is deadly. It is not so much of realism but of gameplay.

tbd
mfb
indeed. i've seen a player in SR describe his melee counterattack as "blocking the baseball bat with his pinky", when the character in question had no special melee abilities. the description was changed (it was an online game), and i'd do the same to someone who described the loss of 24 vp or hp as just standing there and taking it.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ting-bu-dong)
there have been several complaints here about the "realism" of a hit point system. D20, for example, does not assume you are standing there in the middle of the line of fire. It assumes you try to dodge, move around, etc.

Then what of the sniper-situation? If you are sniping a person who is just standing still, not aware that he's going to be shot soon, do you rule that as an auto-kill? Or do you roll the attack "flat-footed"? If you roll the attack with the target flat-footed, then all that dodging and moving around stuff doesn't hold up -- hit points protect you just the same whether you try to dodge or not.

Hit points only mean how good you are at surviving letahl situations, like combat pool or a high body score in shadowrun do.

Still going with the sniper-situation, neither Combat Pool nor a high Body score would make a difference in Shadowrun -- dodging wouldn't be allowed (since the target doesn't know he's going to be shot) and soaking a Barrett hit with Body is damn near impossible. Using d20 Modern rules, the CyberTroll would just say "Ouch" for drama, and then continue doing whatever he was doing before.
Austere Emancipator
Okay, looking at Spycraft core rules now... Combining Extreme Range, Bullseye, Marksman and Master Sniper, the sniper in question now has at least a 20% or maybe even 25% chance of doing some real damage to the Troll in question. This is a min 18th level sniper firing a Barrett at a 5th level troll. More Feats at lower levels and it works out better. I just can't see all the good snipers in the world being at least ~9th level. And the whole critical hit system still requires just pure luck with the original roll.

Did I get this straight: Using the Spycraft Vitality/Wound Point rules, the troll in question could in fact stand up to MORE damage before taking any ill effects (since he'd get 1d12 per level and not 1d10 -- 6 more Vitality Points than he currently has Hit Points), and once those Vitality Points (all 91 of them) were used up, he'd then have -2 Str&Dex and some other minor penalties, and any further damage would be reduced from his 9+ Wound Points?

That's if he doesn't take 50+ points of damage from a single attack, which would require an insanely lucky critical HMG burst, or an 18+ level sniper with a Barrett in perfect conditions and a good amount of pure luck.
mfb
QUOTE (Spycraft page 179)
the Game Control may spend an action die and rule that an attack that occurs in such an obviously lethal situation is an automatic critical hit.
it specifically includes being shot "in the back", which i assume also covers sniping.
ting-bu-dong
Hi,
indeed, sniper shots are a problem. One idea would be to automatically deal full damage (which would be 30 for a Barrett in my game) or an atomatical critical hit(being 12d10 for the same weapon).
Another thought is to consider how sniper rilfes are really used in actual game play:
1) the assassinating shot - since i would not pull this one on a player character since instant death without knowing where it came from is game-disrupting and frustrating, this leaves player shots at non-player characters, in which case I would either rule instant death or one of the options above if it is a special case (like an extremely tough troll).
2) a sniper taking aimed shots at targets in a fight of some sort - regular damage rules

Concerning your CyberTroll: would a tough, to-the-teeth cybered troll really die after one shot, even if it was from a sniper rifle? I am not too familiar with sniper rifles but up to now I thought their advantage was only their range and accuracy, not their punching power. It is ok if a character survives a burst from an AK but not one bullet from a sniper rifle?

tbd
mfb
range is, to a large extent, punching power. a barrett big fifty has both in spades--it's not really a "sniper rifle", in that it's primarily designed to be used against vehicles and equipment, rather than personnel (though, contrary to popular belief, there's nothing anywhere that says you're not allowed to do so). but you're partly right, in that most sniper rifles use the same caliber rounds as assault rifles--very often around 7.62, or .300 Winchester.
Austere Emancipator
30 points of damage still wouldn't be bad for Mr CyberTroll. He'd just have to roll 3+ on d20, 90% chance of survival, and then he'd be right back on track without any ill effects, and enough HPs to take another one without sweating.

An automatical critical isn't bad either. The average damage from that would only be a pathetic 26 using the d20 Modern damages. Since killing Mr CyberTroll with Massive Damage is nearly impossible, just getting him below half hit points would require a lot of Bullseyeing or just insane luck in addition to the critical hit.

QUOTE (ting-bu-dong)
would a tough, to-the-teeth cybered troll really die after one shot, even if it was from a sniper rifle? I am not too familiar with sniper rifles but up to now I thought their advantage was only their range and accuracy, not their punching power. It is ok if a character survives a burst from an AK but not one bullet from a sniper rifle?

I'm not talking about a 7.62x51mm sniper rifle here. I'm talking about a .50BMG Barrett, which isn't really even meant to be fired at people, because all the power is wasted. With the right ammunition, it can punch through 2" of armor-grade steel at several hundred meters. It will just swoosh through a human body at 1 kilometer, leaving a 4"+ diameter crater behind. It will absolutely and totally kill any motherfucker who gets in the way, as long as you hit something vital (with .50BMG, that includes head, torso and thighs -- an arm or lower leg hit will just result in amputation).

QUOTE (mfb)
most sniper rifles use the same caliber rounds as assault rifles--very often around 7.62, or .300 Winchester.

[Pedantic]I don't think there are any "assault" rifles in 7.62x51mm, because those are called "battle" rifles.[/Pedantic] There certainly are several sniper rifles in 5.56x45 NATO, which is the most common assault rifle caliber in the world (by amount of different models, maybe not by amount of actual weapons). I don't think there are any auto-fire capable rifles in .300 Winchester Magnum, and I'm sure there aren't any in .338 Lapua Magnum. .338 Lapua Magnum would be quite enough for the purpose of killing Mr CyberTroll, however. .50BMG is more certain, and more messy.

To get things into perspective: Calibers meant for elephant-hunting generally have ~half the energy of .50BMG.
mfb
mister cybertroll could very likely survive a single barrett BFG hit in SR; barely surviving two isn't bad, especially for a hit point game.

wish i'd found that rule ten posts ago.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
mister cybertroll could very likely survive a single barrett BFG hit in SR

No, he couldn't, at least not "very likely". He'd have to roll 3 14s with his 16 body dice + 5 CP dice not to lose consciousness. Try it for yourself, how many times you score 3+ 14s with 21 dice.

I'm not very good at probability math, but I know that the expected (average) number of successes against 14 with 21 dice is 0.487. Getting just 1 or more success happens only 38.9% of the time. I'm guessing 3 or more successes happens about 5% or less of the time.

And that's with the worst possible hit you can get with a Barrett in SR -- just 1 success.
mfb
depends on the cyber. a few limbs with maxed plating will work wonders on that TN.
Austere Emancipator
A few limbs with maxed plating will also make the troll nearly invulnerable to that damage in d20. Mr CyberTroll has Dermal Sheath-3 and Titanium Bone Lacing, which is why he's got such a high Body (and Constitution). Those give him +1 Natural Armor / Damage Reduction 1 in d20, and +6 or +8 Contitution, which make it a lot easier to survive the Barrett hit. In SR, they don't do squat.

Any armor less than 6 points doesn't help at all against that Barrett hit in SR (half armor, round down, anything between 12 and 14 is for most purposes the same). What's the most overall armor you can reasonably get from cyberlegs? Keep in mind that Mr CyberTroll would also have to get Strength enhancement for those legs to keep them in balance, and probably Impact armor as well (or people would just bust his ass with Flechette rounds instead). And how much Damage Resistance would this translate to using the d20 Spycraft rules?
mfb
where are you getting your d20 stats?
Austere Emancipator
You mean the d20 stats for SR cyberware? It's just a guess at what the effects would be. +1 Impact and Ballistic armor in SR ~ +1 Natural Armor/+1 Natural Damage Reduction in d20. +4 Body in SR ~ +4 - +6 Con in D&D. And so on and so forth.
Lilt
QUOTE (mfb)
depends on the cyber. a few limbs with maxed plating will work wonders on that TN.

Not really. Even with max armor on all 4 limbs he can only hit 8 points of armor (he also needs to purchace 3 levels of Muscle Toner bioware so he can still move normally). As the barett ammo is APDS, armor is also halved so those 8 pts only mean 4pts of effective protection. The TN goes down to 10 if the troll is shot normally, meaning the troll would need body 36 to survive a single-succes shot on-average, each additional success adds 12 to the body that the troll needs.

Also: you may want to consider that the troll in the D20 system with the same mods would be able to stand even more punnishment.

[edit] why do I bother thinking about my posts? Whatever it is has already been said by the time I press the post button[/edit]
mfb
i don't know if it's funny or terrible that there's a better chance of surviving a PAC round than a barrett round.
Austere Emancipator
Only when you are wearing more than 8 points of Ballistic Armor, and even then only if the PAC is firing Standard ammunition (and not AP or Explosive or anything else like that).
Lilt
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Only when you are wearing more than 8 points of Ballistic Armor, and even then only if the PAC is firing Standard ammunition (and not AP or Explosive or anything else like that).

AC ammo is explosive anyway. It's still possible to gat AV assault canon rounds though.
Austere Emancipator
Oh, you're right. Only AV available.

Actually, it isn't that weird at all that a Barrett in SR is better against (very, very) heavily armored targets than a PAC. After all, a PAC is likely to be a very large-caliber weapon with a muzzle velocity lower than that of the Barrett, and with the standard ammunition being explosive and fragmenting. The Barrett standard ammunition is armor piercing. It makes sense.
mfb
the PAC has well over double the range of the barrett.
Austere Emancipator
I won't argue with you there. The ranges of SR canon weapons are way off in some cases, the Barrett being one great example. On the other hand, a normal human being (without Far Shot Feat, ie 99.9% of the world's population) can't fire any .50BMG rifle beyond 914 meters in d20 Spycraft, 366 meters in d20 Modern.

In any case, this is easily corrected by doubling the range categories of the Barrett. This works great at least in SR. In d20 Spycraft, it might be a bit unbalancing.
mfb
i still have a very, very hard time seeing a barrett doing more damage than a 20mm cannon round. hell, the barrett should, by all rights, just blow through the target and keep going; the 20mm shell will do the same, but it'll leave a bigger hole behind.
Austere Emancipator
There's nothing saying the PAC is 20mm, and there certainly isn't anything saying it's a high-velocity weapon. Let's assume, for example, that it fires a 1,500gr bullet at 2,000fps (~18,000J or ~13,300ft-lbs) and the Barrett fires a 12.7mm 660gr bullet at 3,000fps (almost exactly the same energy). The 1,500gr 20mm projectile would probably have the kind of range it is given in CC: ~1,800 meters maximum efficient range. It would certainly be more lethal against unarmored targets (which it clearly is in SR as well, 18D vs 14D).

Now load the PAC with an explosive, frangible bullet, and the Barrett with APDS, and compare the terminal ballistics against a human being through NIJ type IV body armor. I bet my ass the .50BMG AP round would outperform the 20mm 1,500gr 2,000fps explosive round by a very clear margin.

The 20mm round would still have more punishing recoil (as described in SR), and would be far worse for sniping and anti-material purposes (Assault Cannon vs Sniper Rifle).

Now the only thing that needs to be changed is increasing the range of the Barrett. (And getting rid of that fucking stupid "Silencer", but that's another topic for anothe thread, and that thread has been done several times already.)

Feel free to try and give a similar logical explanation as to how the hell a 5.7x28 pistol does the same kind of damage to human targets (armored or not) as a 12G slug.
bwdemon
On the Sniper example... The assassination shot is possible in d20. If the target is completely unaware, the shooter could kill him with a single shot. This is not a critical hit, but a specific assassination attack. It would take a serious desire to screw a PC for a d20 GM to use the assassination shot. It would take no less of a desire to screw a PC for an SR3 GM to fire at a completely unaware target with a Barrett. The results would not likely be the same. The d20 character would be dead. The SR3 character *might* survive.

Characters in d20 can kill themselves instantly with any weapon. It's called a coup de grace and it may be attempted only upon opponents who cannot or do not resist.

On the CyberTroll example... Encounter levels are based off of the 25-point build system. The 5th level CyberTroll example is not based on a 25-point build system or even representative of the standard spread of attributes as generated by "4d6, drop one" rolling. So I completely disagree that the statistics offered are in any way representative of d20 gaming. Further, I also disagree with the game effects you created for the 'ware on the Troll. Many of those alterations would add to damage reduction or armor class (depending on the d20 game mechanic used) instead of increasing Constitution. Alternatively, they may increase hit points or vitality/wound points (again, depending on the mechanic used), rather than working through Constitution. Just because you're able to run for longer than before because you plated yourself in bulletproof material in SR3 doesn't mean that d20 would make the same mistakes.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (bwdemon)
The assassination shot is possible in d20. If the target is completely unaware, the shooter could kill him with a single shot. This is not a critical hit, but a specific assassination attack. It would take a serious desire to screw a PC for a d20 GM to use the assassination shot. It would take no less of a desire to screw a PC for an SR3 GM to fire at a completely unaware target with a Barrett. The results would not likely be the same. The d20 character would be dead. The SR3 character *might* survive.

So you believe that a d20 SR should rule that any attack on an unaware target is an autokill, no rolls neccessary?

QUOTE (bwdemon)
Characters in d20 can kill themselves instantly with any weapon. It's called a coup de grace and it may be attempted only upon opponents who cannot or do not resist.

Right. So in fact, d20 and SR are even in this respect (in either system, you can inflict any amount of damage on yourself if you wish).

On the CyberTroll example... Encounter levels are based off of the 25-point build system. The 5th level CyberTroll example is not based on a 25-point build system or even representative of the standard spread of attributes as generated by "4d6, drop one" rolling. So I completely disagree that the statistics offered are in any way representative of d20 gaming. Further, I also disagree with the game effects you created for the 'ware on the Troll. Many of those alterations would add to damage reduction or armor class (depending on the d20 game mechanic used) instead of increasing Constitution. Alternatively, they may increase hit points or vitality/wound points (again, depending on the mechanic used), rather than working through Constitution. Just because you're able to run for longer than before because you plated yourself in bulletproof material in SR3 doesn't mean that d20 would make the same mistakes.

The CyberTroll was built with the 25 Point Buy system. I followed every rule for chargen, I gave him the exact amount of Talents and Feats that was available, I followed every rule except in buying the gear, where I simply assumed that a 5th level Shadowrunner could afford Titanium Bone Lacing, Dermal Sheath-3 and Tactical Entry Unit Armor (after all, this was supposed to be a starting Shadowrun character, and such gear is available to starting shadowrunners). Apart from the cyberware and racial modifications (+4Str/Con, -2Dex, -4Int/Cha, quite reasonable in my mind, perhaps even a bit weak in the physical attributes), it is perfectly legal.

If such cyberware did not add to Constitution, or Hit/Vitality Points per level for the same amount, then such cyberware would be almost totally useless for high-level characters. Whether the cyberware in question adds to Constitution or the same amount of Hit/Vitality Points per level makes no difference in these examples, because the HP/VP amount stays the same, and he'll survive the Massive Damage tests anyway.

The only alterations he has are Dermal Sheath-3 and Titanium Bone Lacing so "many of those alterations" can't do anything. In SR, both of these add a point of armor, DS-3 only against one type of damage, and they don't stack. Considering how little 1 point of armor is in SR (where a light flexible body armor vest protects 3, just like it does in d20 Modern and Spycraft), it would have felt really odd to give Mr CyberTroll more than +1 Natural Armor/+1 DR.

If you think you've got a great system for porting SR cyberware and bioware into d20, let's see it.

[Edit]Actually, I think Impact Armor from DS and from Bone Lacing might indeed stack. So give the CyberTroll +2 Natural Armor/+2 Damage Reduction instead.[/Edit]
LoseAsDirected
Anyway.. This whole conversation is kind of moot.. Someone's already taken this idea and ran with it..

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/detail.p...3&qsSeries=Core

Add a few D&D races, use the SR background story, and bam.. d20 SR.
Tanka
Cyberpunk isn't Shadowrun, so there'd still be some differences that would need to be worked out (i.e. no Cyberpsychosis in SR).
Austere Emancipator
Well, that certainly makes the discussion about cyberware effects moot... Damage and effects thereof still need to be addressed, unless the people who want to play a d20 Shadowrun don't mind the big guys suddenly being capable of withstanding way more punishment. Unless, of course, that Cybernet game has rules pertaining to this unlike those in D&D, d20 Modern or Spycraft.
DigitalMage
I personally would not like to see a D20 Shadowrun. Do I think the current SR system is perfect? No.

I had great reservations about D20 but finally bought the D20 Star Wars and like it a lot. I still have reservations against D&D due to the different implementations (I prefer the Vitality/ Wound Points, and DR for armour).

Some points that I think need to be bourne in mind with this discussion are:

Shadowrun is a single defined implementation of a system.
D20 has many implementations and the ability to be amended again and again.
This means you can't compare the two quite fairly. If you argue that the D20 system changed in X, Y and Z manner would make a good D20 Shadowrun, then you should really consider how the current SR system could be changed with X, Y, Z rule changes, e.g. using ranges 0 to 5 rather than 1 to 6 etc.

When discussing lethality people are using a starting SR character with loads of cyber and bioware to compare with an uncybered D&D character (though the recent discussions seem to not be doing this). If the D20 implemented all the cyberware at similar power levels as SR, then you might find different results.

Perhaps a better comparison would be to compare an uncybered SR character with an uncybered D20 character?

Anyway, I enjoy reading these debates so please carry on. Personally, you can finsd my opinions on D20 in a couple of the forums in the Gaming Area.
bwdemon
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
So you believe that a d20 SR should rule that any attack on an unaware target is an autokill, no rolls neccessary?

Nope. An assassination attack (known as a "death attack" in D&D 3.5) is something unique to certain classes, just like sneak attack is only allowed for certain classes. It also requires three rounds of focus on the target, a successful attack roll, and a failed Fortitude save. If the Fortitude save is made, then the attack counts just as a sneak attack, with all inherent bonuses. If this were a classless implementation, then the death attack would be a feat with some fairly steep pre-requisites.

A well-trained sniper would presumably have several extra dice available for sneak attacks and the death attack. I say "well-trained", because any shlub can pick up a gun and fire it at a target 1km away, but very few people will actually hit that target and then expect to hit it in a critical area. In truth, few people could hit that target in a critical area (sufficient to kill instantly) at 50m. This requires training that would be represented by character level, BAB, and appropriate feats & special abilities. A starting character would not (and should not) be a top sniper and they wouldn't even have access to an ability like death attack. They may luck into killing their opponent with a critical hit and they may even have an extra d6 for sneak attack, but that'd be the best they could do.

If someone without any sort of death attack ability or even sneak attack ability fired on an unsuspecting target, they would have bonuses to hit and that would be about it. They haven't specially trained to get the one-shot kill consistently and they haven't trained to hit critical areas consistently, so they get no bonus outside of +2 to hit and the target being denied all defense based on Dexterity (stats, feats, and special abilities).
Lilt
LOL. What classes are these that get the assasination attack? Are they prestiege classes or similar? What level of character does it take to actually hit someone with a weapon? (which is really what we're talking about if vitality=dodging)

[edit]Also I find your tone amusing. It does not take much training to hit something with a rifle. Indeed I find it amusing to think what hunting would be like in the D20 world A character would need to be an assasin to actually hit an elephant 5 feet away, otherwise it would dodge (and it would doge well thanks to its high Con).[/edit]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012