Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D20 Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (bwdemon)
In truth, few people could hit that target in a critical area (sufficient to kill instantly) at 50m.

In truth, anyone with basic training in handling firearms is capable of hitting and killing a human being with a Barrett .50BMG rifle at 50 meters from the prone position with the bipod. Any humanoid under 4 meters in size with a basically human build (no additional vital organs, similar blood circulation) will be fatally wounded if hit center-mass, in the head (as long as it does not only graze) or the center (or higher) of the thigh. Hitting a still humanoid center-mass at 50 meters with a sniper rifle from good support is about as easy as anything gets -- I'm a very sucky shooter, and even I can consistently produce 5" groups (10 shots) at 300 meters with a bolt-action 7.62x54mmR rifle from the prone position. That's the equivalent of hitting a human head, or the heart/aorta/spine/trachea(/lungs) area of a human. With a Barrett, that would definitely kill any humanoid.

Any decent hunter will be capable of killing an elephant with a Barrett .50BMG at a few hundred meters. In fact, any decent hunter will be capable of killing an elephant with a rifle half as powerful as the Barrett at a few hundred meters (like I said, most elephant-rifle calibers are nowhere near as powerful as the .50BMG is). I find it a bit ridiculous that they couldn't kill a human at 50 meters. I doubt every decent hunter in the world is at least 5+ level. I don't like to think of myself as a 5+ level character either.

QUOTE (Lilt)
which is really what we're talking about if vitality=dodging

I believe no one argues that any longer, since a target that doesn't dodge still gets damage reduced from Vitality Points.

[Edit]Don't you think it's a bit odd that originally d20 was supposed to be every bit as lethal as Shadowrun if not more so, but now you are arguing that low/mid-level characters shouldn't be capable of killing mid/high-level characters, or any targets with high Con and lots of HPs/VPs? Because they certainly can in SR.[/Edit]
Lilt
Wow. We both came-up with the elephant argument... weird.

Also IIRC vitality is defined as dodging, near misses, and hits to non-vital/well protected areas.
Austere Emancipator
It could be because I mentioned elephant-rifle calibers earlier. Or it could be because it's such a good argument. smile.gif

d20 Spycraft Core Rules define Vitality Points as "[...] a mixture of endurance, luck and experience. Losing vitality points is less a representation of actual physical damage than it is combat fatigue [...]". So it's not really about dodging. It's just that the first few 12.7mm 660gr bullets entering your chest at 3,000fps only tire you down, so that the follow-up shots can really start injuring you.
Diesel
I am definitely not 5th level, having received all of a day of instructional time in rifle shooting, yet am more than capable of hitting a man-sized target at fifty meters, even with the poor old iron sights. I'm sure nearly everyone could, given a little practice. If all it takes to get to fifth level is a day at the range, shit, I just might play.
Xirces
QUOTE (Diesel)
I am definitely not 5th level, having received all of a day of instructional time in rifle shooting, yet am more than capable of hitting a man-sized target at fifty meters, even with the poor old iron sights. I'm sure nearly everyone could, given a little practice. If all it takes to get to fifth level is a day at the range, shit, I just might play.

You're just consistently lucky. It's well known that you can't progress (gain karma or XP) in life unless you go adventuring. That's why D&D mages learn better by crawling in dungeons than sitting in a library (as long as they are avoiding monsters, of course).

It's also why Harry Potter is the most talented wizard at Hogwarts - he's the only one that has adventures and thus gains XP. The rest will be stuck at level 1 forever and never get more than 6HP, whilst Harry will be level 20 and be able to take multiple PAC shots to the head.
moosegod
MAKE THIS THREAD STOP!

OH PLEASE!
Adam
You could just stop reading it, you know.
Kesh
Yeah, there's already a couple Cyber* books for d20. It's just a matter of finding cyber equipment close enough to SR's and maybe modifying a few of them to better suit the feel.

Regarding snipers, it's a debated point in d20 games. A "coup de grace" is technically only allowed when a character is helpless, not simply unaware. Some GMs rule that a sniper shot vs. a stationary target is just a CDG, since they have no way of defending themselves. Others say there's still the possibility of a fluke, and make the sniper roll normally for damage.

One thing to keep in mind is that we sould be talking the d20 Modern version of the rules, not the Dungeons & Dragons version. In d20, there's a rule called the "massive damage threshhold." Basically, when a target takes more than a certain amount of damage in a single attack, they have to make a saving throw or be dropped to -1 HP instantly.

In D&D, that threshold is 50 HP. In d20 Modern, it's your Con score. So, if you have a 14 Constitution score (roughly equal to a Body 4), any attack which deals 14 HP of damage or more in a single strike forces this save.

A Barret Light Fifty from the Ultramodern Firearms supplement does 2d12 damage. So, an average hit is at least 12 HP. A slightly better roll for damage, or a critical hit, means there's a chance of instant death, regardless of how many HPs the target has.

It's a slightly different feel, but cyber and combat aren't that vastly different in the two systems, when you boil it all down.

The only real problem is the SR magic system. A skills-based magic is very, very different from what's in d20. I've got a few ideas on how to make a good compromise, but it's not easy.

In the end, I like both systems d20 SR isn't an abomination, and could be fun. Hell, I plan on running a "Bug City" campaign in either d20 Modern, or in a fantasy D&D game. wink.gif

Still, I just love grabbing two handfuls of d6's and throwing them onto the table. biggrin.gif
moosegod
Yeah.

But that'd be too simple, and I'd have to go do work and stuff.
Lilt
QUOTE (Diesel)

That brief session of practice in SR could be spending a point of karma to take the skill at rank 1. Add 1 combat pool and you're on a 75% chance of hitting, and a 25% chance of hitting a more serious area (staging-up = a deadly wound if you're using a sporting rifle). Who said that a skill of 1 or 2 was pointless? A character with quickness 6 probably wouldn't even hit if defaulting.

[edit]Actually you're probably at-least a 5rd level role-play gamer, I think you've got to be to hang-around here. That would mean your base-attack bonus is 2+Dex, not that bad[/edit]
Austere Emancipator
I've been discussing the d20 Modern rules all the way through, and I have mentioned the Massive Damage Treshold quite a few times. The Treshold is not 10+Con Bonus, it is your Constitution score. So the Con 28 Mr CyberTroll has a Massive Damage Treshold of 28, unachievable with a non-crit Barrett hit using only d20 Modern rules. Even if Mr CyberTroll DOES take 28 or more damage, he only has to roll a 3 on d20 to not take any ill effects -- and that stays the same even if he took 45 points of damage. Using just the Hit Points, he could in fact take 84 damage on a single hit and not get any ill effects.

An average hit with the Barrett is 13 damage ((2+24)/2), and will certainly kill Joe Average easily. No problem there, at very low levels (1 and 2, maybe 3) it works out fine. At higher levels, however, using either d20 Modern or d20 Spycraft rules, it's screwed up. Like I said before, a maximum damage non-crit hit with a Barrett doesn't do squat against Mr CyberTroll. Even an average critical hit (13 x 2 = 26 damage) doesn't bother him much.

How does the d20 Modern/Spycraft Sneak Attack work? I'm guessing in d20 Modern it's additional dice like Double Tap and Burst Fire, and in d20 Spycraft it's straight +damage? Giving additional dice for it (Barrett 2d12 -> 3d12, or better yet 2d20 -> 3d20) makes it quite useful, straight +damage not so much.
bwdemon
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The CyberTroll was built with the 25 Point Buy system. I followed every rule for chargen, I gave him the exact amount of Talents and Feats that was available, I followed every rule except in buying the gear, where I simply assumed that a 5th level Shadowrunner could afford Titanium Bone Lacing, Dermal Sheath-3 and Tactical Entry Unit Armor (after all, this was supposed to be a starting Shadowrun character, and such gear is available to starting shadowrunners). Apart from the cyberware and racial modifications (+4Str/Con, -2Dex, -4Int/Cha, quite reasonable in my mind, perhaps even a bit weak in the physical attributes), it is perfectly legal.

As d20 is set up, you're limited in the maximum points of stat adjustment from equipment to +6 for the stat (not +6 bonus, which would be +12 for the stat), so your cyberware (which I already stated offers inappropriate benefits) is above the maximum benefit allowed under d20 rules. Your troll could have a 22 CON, but not 28.

I also don't buy that a starting shadowrunner equals a 5th level d20 character. A starting character in D&D has some training, they aren't just rubes fresh from the farm. They have skills, combat abilities, spells, and special abilities that "normal" people do not, just like SR3 characters have certain abilities and training not open to or possessed by "normal" people. A trained soldier is 1st level in d20 (otherwise, they're just commoners) and a trained soldier is a starting character in SR.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
If such cyberware did not add to Constitution, or Hit/Vitality Points per level for the same amount, then such cyberware would be almost totally useless for high-level characters. Whether the cyberware in question adds to Constitution or the same amount of Hit/Vitality Points per level makes no difference in these examples, because the HP/VP amount stays the same, and he'll survive the Massive Damage tests anyway.

There are feats in d20 that add 3 points to either wound or vitality points, not both. There are special abilities that add DR1. Yes, a character with 60 VP only gains 3 VP by taking that feat or 'ware, but they'd be happy to have it if they take 61 VP in an encounter. Likewise, a character can always use more wound points to keep them safe from critical hits, since these do not increase with level. Bear in mind that these do NOT add per level, they add per instance. So you can take the feats or gain the special abilities more than once and they will stack, but your level will not in any way multiply their effect. This is a standard d20 mechanic, part of the game balance that d20 has and tries to maintain. It is more useful, percentage-wise, to lower level characters, but it is still useful to higher level characters.

For a good cyberware game mechanic, I would look to current, balanced versions of equivalent effects under D&D and other d20 games to find the appropriate effect. Feats like toughness and quickness, weapon focus, weapon specialization, alertness, skill focus, great fortitude, improved initiative, and others provide great balanced equivalents to work with. Special abilities like damage reduction, immunities, low-light vision, darkvision, unarmed strike, fast movement and others likewise provide good material to work with. Characters would be restricted from having top-notch material at 1st level and would gain access to more advanced material as the game progressed. Keep an eye toward balance and look for equivalent effects where possible and you should have little to no problem duplicating any bit of 'ware in d20 without unbalancing the game.
bwdemon
And back to the sniper & assassination attack... The assassination ability is open only to prestige classes in D&D. I am not sure how the ability is used in other d20 games.

Most people, even those with only a crash course in firearms, are going to miss a target with any weapon at 50m, even a Barrett and even if it's on a bipod. They won't consistently hold the weapon the same (or even the correct) way. They won't have the breath control needed to guarantee a consistent shot. They'll be likely to yank the trigger. They won't be able to alter the sights as needed for their personal use, due to this lack of consistency, if they even know how to adjust the sights. Even with a bipod, they're going to have trouble hitting. This all assumes an immobile target and the best possible circumstances to hit the target at 50m.

Now, even these people are going to kill a target that they manage to hit with a Barrett. The average person (in d20) has 10-11 wound points and NO vitality points (VP being restricted to PCs and non-mook NPCs in d20 games). The target is immobile, so their chance to hit will be better. On average, the Barrett will kill in a single shot. I do not personally own a copy of Ultra-Modern Firearms, so I can't say whether the Barrett has any more characteristics than the "2d12" damage that someone mentioned previously and I don't even know if 2d12 is correct.

The question of whether a shooter can, without hesitation, take aim on and fire at another living, breathing human being is another factor that is only dealt with through experience. Even thoroughly-trained and experienced snipers have a lot of problems dealing with the psychological ramifications of their job. A fair amount of trained snipers can't even bring themselves to kill a single person, let alone multiple people. Presumably, it would get easier the more times you do it.
Diesel
bwdemon: Have you gone shooting before? Even untrained people (there are a lot of them where I go) are capable of satisfactory accuracy at 50 meters, especially with rifle class weapons. You wont hit much with a handgun out there, but in a prone position w/ bipod you are nearly guarenteed a hit.

As for the ramifications of firing on another person, I think that is best roleplayed instead of inserting modifiers for that. Some people can be pretty disassociated and/or cold blooded. They're generally the ones that reach out and touch people in the first place, IMO. biggrin.gif

Austere Emancipator
I have never seen anyone take the Toughness (+3 HP) feat in D&D 3rd Ed, and I've GMd a lot of it for a large number of guys. In my experience, most people will not spend Feats (or anything similar) on stuff that gets relatively worse as you get better. Money is slightly different, but only slightly. If a Longsword +1 would have to be implanted, and would be a bitch to get rid of again, most people would just wait until they can get a Longsword +3 at least. Or maybe +5. Or maybe they wouldn't get anything until they can get that Holy Avenger. The last seems most likely to me.

QUOTE (bwdemon)
As d20 is set up, you're limited in the maximum points of stat adjustment from equipment to +6 for the stat (not +6 bonus, which would be +12 for the stat), so your cyberware (which I already stated offers inappropriate benefits) is above the maximum benefit allowed under d20 rules. Your troll could have a 22 CON, but not 28.

What the... So a human with natural Strength 10 would still be limited to Strength 16 even if he got all of his body replaced with the best in cyberware? That just plain sucks. Still, Mr CyberTroll could have 26 Constitution, unless you think Trolls shouldn't get at least +4 Constitution, or you think a Racial modifier counts as an Equipment modifier for this purpose.

QUOTE (bwdemon)
I also don't buy that a starting shadowrunner equals a 5th level d20 character. A starting character in D&D has some training, they aren't just rubes fresh from the farm. They have skills, combat abilities, spells, and special abilities that "normal" people do not, just like SR3 characters have certain abilities and training not open to or possessed by "normal" people. A trained soldier is 1st level in d20 (otherwise, they're just commoners) and a trained soldier is a starting character in SR.

It seems you're alone in that view. Even mfb agreed with my original assessment of ~5th level. A starting SR character can be "Innate" in the use of a bunch of skill, or just "Professional" in up to 10 skills. A SR skill rating of 6 translates in my mind to ~9 ranks in d20, rating 5 to about 7, rating 4 to 5, and so on down.

From probability-math viewpoint, TN 6 is the equivalent of DC 19 (16.7% vs 15% chance of succeeding with skill rating 1 vs 1 skill rank), and a skill of rating 6 gives you a 83.3% chance at that, which would require a 15 skill modifier in d20 (for an 85% chance of succeeding). Also, it makes perfect sense to me that a TN of 4 is "Average" (DC 10), TN 5 is "Tough" (DC 15) and TN 6 is "Challenging" (DC 20). From that, you can't really conclude anything else than that canon starting SR characters are well beyond level 1 and certainly closer to level 5, if not higher.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (bwdemon)
Most people, even those with only a crash course in firearms, are going to miss a target with any weapon at 50m, even a Barrett and even if it's on a bipod. They won't consistently hold the weapon the same (or even the correct) way. They won't have the breath control needed to guarantee a consistent shot. They'll be likely to yank the trigger. They won't be able to alter the sights as needed for their personal use, due to this lack of consistency, if they even know how to adjust the sights. Even with a bipod, they're going to have trouble hitting. This all assumes an immobile target and the best possible circumstances to hit the target at 50m.

*Cough*Bullshit*Cough*
I fired the bolt-action rifle in question a total of 20 times. The first 10 were inside 5" at 300 meters. The second 10 were inside 4" at 300 meters. I had never even touched the weapon before that, having only been given a crash course in how the sights and the action work.

The first 3 shots I ever fired with the RK62 assault rifle (far more inaccurate than even an M16, cannot be discussed in the same sentence as any true sniper or even anti-material rifle) were inside 40cm at 150 meters using iron sights only. The second 3 were inside 30cm. After that, it was extremely rare for a group of 3 to be more than 25cm apart at 150 meters from a prone position. From the standing position at 50 meters, I don't think I ever fired more than a 20cm spread, and those are quick shots (3 second target turns, raise gun and shoot).

Immobile target and decent conditions and anyone with basic training with a firearm can and will hit a human at 50 meters with a rifle in a supported position, and will hit him well. I'm at most a "level 1 Dedicated" character, and from a supported position I would never miss a target the size of a human head with a sniper rifle at 50 meters.

The .50BMG rifles do 2d12 in d20 Modern, and that's it. No additional attributes. I looked, I really hoped there would be something. Nada.

And are you now saying that it's okay if low-level people can't kill mid/high-level characters because they're afraid of shooting living humans? Why doesn't that stop them from shooting low-level characters?

And I really would like an answer to this question: Don't you think it's a bit odd that originally d20 was supposed to be every bit as lethal as Shadowrun if not more so, but now you are arguing that low/mid-level characters shouldn't be capable of killing mid/high-level characters, or any targets with high Con and lots of HPs/VPs? Because they certainly can in SR.

QUOTE (bwdemon)
For a good cyberware game mechanic, I would look to current, balanced versions of equivalent effects under D&D and other d20 games to find the appropriate effect. Feats like toughness and quickness, weapon focus, weapon specialization, alertness, skill focus, great fortitude, improved initiative, and others provide great balanced equivalents to work with. Special abilities like damage reduction, immunities, low-light vision, darkvision, unarmed strike, fast movement and others likewise provide good material to work with. Characters would be restricted from having top-notch material at 1st level and would gain access to more advanced material as the game progressed. Keep an eye toward balance and look for equivalent effects where possible and you should have little to no problem duplicating any bit of 'ware in d20 without unbalancing the game.

I was thinking more about D&D magical items than about Feats and Special (Class) Abilities when I decided on the modifiers for those pieces of cyberware. I believe magical items might be even better for figuring out the effects of ware. Feats and Special Abilities are, in my mind, better for considering Physical Adept Powers.

The power of Adept Powers and ware is another argument for canon Shadowrun characters being well above the abilities of 1st level d20 characters. If giving 1st level d20 characters the kind of Powers and Ware that starting SR characters get would be severely unbalancing, then I think it's obvious that 1st level d20 characters do not possess the capabilities that starting SR characters do.
mfb
if i hadn't been posting on three hours' sleep last night, i'd have caught and commented on this earlier.

austere, you're making up rules for this non-existant d20 SR cyberware, and then turning around and talking about how unbalanced it all is. maybe it's because the stats you've come up with are completely around the bend! in the clear pre-dawn light of oh jesus god in the morning, this makes most of your arguments incredibly absurd.
moosegod
No, the whole idea of a d20 shadowrun conversion is absurd.

Period. It's like making an airplane out of bags of Sakrete.
Austere Emancipator
If you think Cyberware should be incapable of increasing Constitution, Massive Damage Treshold or Hit Points, then forget about the cyber. Let's re-do Mr Troll. Let's make a mundane, unaugmented Mr Troll. Because he can no longer increase his Constitution with any Powers or Ware, let's get him a starting Con of 18. Add +4 Constitution from Racial Modifiers (or will you argue that d20 Trolls wouldn't have even +4 Con?) for 22.

Let's forget about the heavy armor too. Scratch the Medium and Heavy Armor Proficiencies, a Leather Jacket will be enough for Mr UnaugmentedTroll. Add another level of Toughness and one level of Improved Damage Treshold. He now has no augmentations whatsoever and is about as legal as you can make a Troll in d20, and he has, on average, 68 Hit Points and a Massive Damage Treshold of 25. A single non-crit Barrett hit still doesn't trouble him in the slightest. He can still take 5 average-damage non-crits from a Barrett and stay in the fight without trouble.

Mr UnaugmentedTroll in d20 Modern can still withstand a few orders of magnitude more punishment than Mr CyberTroll can in Shadowrun. Take Mr UnaugmentedTroll in canon SR, and he'll drop unconscious in about 98% of the times if hit with a Barrett. In d20 Modern, that's about 3%: A natural 20 (5%), followed by a normal hit (about 75%, since this is an easy shot), followed by at least 13 on 2d12 (55%? 60%), followed by the Troll rolling under 6 on the Fortitude save (25%).

If you use d20 Spycraft rules, Mr UnaugmentedTroll is in fact better off, since you now have to deal 50 points of damage on that single attack. If you consider it an auto-crit, you still can't do more than 48 points of damage on a critical hit with the Barrett. The average damage is 30 with a crit, and to get that average over 50 you need 11 points of Bullseye, for -11 on the attack roll, and at least an 11th level sniper. Even then, Mr UnaugmentedTroll has a 75% chance of not being significantly harmed. And the SR equivalent of an 11th level sniper averages well over 6 successes with a similar shot (more likely around 10), which would lead to the Troll dropping unconscious every time (about 99.999% for the überpedantic among you), and well into Over-Damage if you use that (canon) rule suggestion.
mfb
check your stats. the crit range on a .50 BMG sniper rifle is 17-20, and the damage is 2d10+4. and if you're sniping, all you have to do is to spend an AP and it's an auto-crit. that gives you an average damage of 14. if you're not sniping, no weapon should be capable of a consistent auto-kill in a hp game anyway.

(edited for lack of 1st-grade math skillz)
Austere Emancipator
In d20 Modern, the crit range on a .50BMG sniper is 20. Not 17-20, it's 20. In d20 Modern, the damage of a .50BMG sniper is 2d12. Not 2d10+4, it's 2d12.

In d20 Modern, I could find no rule for auto-critting with an AP. Is this a Feat somewhere in d20 Core? No such thing in the basic Feat list, nor could I find a mention in the Combat rules section. As far as I could figure, there's no rule in d20 Modern that allows you to get a crit unless you roll a natural 20 and then manage to hit again. So my numbers were absolutely correct.

For the d20 Spycraft numbers, I already assumed an autocrit, and I did use 2d10+4 for the damage (as obvious from the 30 average damage for a crit, instead of 26 for an average crit in d20 Modern). I was going with the "Extremely Deadly Situations" autocrit rule that was mentioned before. For anyone between 1st and 5th level, using an Action die on the damage test will result in +1d4 damage. This is a "limitless" die, so the average is about 2.78. This is not doubled on a critical hit (additional dice are never doubled on a crit in d20 AFAIK).

This means using the Action die gives you a 5% better chance of forcing a Fort save, and actually gives a shooter without the Bullseye Feat a ~1% chance of forcing the Fort save. To get the average damage over 50 now only requires 10 points of Bullseye, a 10th level sniper at least.

QUOTE (mfb)
that gives you an average damage of 24. another AP, spent on damage, will guarantee you a massive damage check 50% of the time--all you have to do is roll average on your damage dice. that's not bad, for taking on the toughest character type in the game. if you're not sniping, no weapon should be consistently capable of a one-hit kill in a hit point game anyway.

How did you get this? The average result from 2d10+4 is 15 ((6+24)/2 = 15), and double that is 30 -- this is the average crit damage for d20 Spycraft Barrett. In d20 Modern, the weapon does 2d12, for an average crit damage of 26 (2+24).

In d20 Spycraft, the 30 average can be further increased by the Bullseye Feat (+2 damage on the critical hit for every -1 attack, to a maximum amount of -attack equal to the character's BAB) and using 1 Action die to increase damage (by a limitless 1d4 for a character between levels 1 and 5, which averages 2.78, by a limitless 1d6 between 6th and 10th level, for an average of 3.9, or by a limitless 1d8 between 11th and 15th level, for an average of 5). At 1st level, it's about a 1% chance to get over the 50 damage (2 10s on 2d10 and then rolling 3+ with the 1d4, or 10+9 with 2d10 and then 4+ on 1d4, etc), with a 0.25% of the Troll actually dying.

At 11th level, the d20 Spycraft sniper, assuming he has a BAB of +11 and the Bullseye Feat, averages ~55.9 for a nice ~70% chance of forcing a Fortitude save (still DC 15), and thus has a ~18% chance of killing the Troll with that one shot -- 17.5% to kill him with the Massive Damage, a minuscule chance to deal 87+ points of Damage which would kill him outright (requiring 2 10s on 2d10 and then 2 consecutive 8s on the d8).

The probability of the d20 Modern sniper are much easier to calculate and to comprehend, and I did it accurately the first time around, so I won't repeat it here. (There is no mechanic in the d20 Modern core rules that allows Action Points to be used to increase damage.)

[Edit]Dammit, the average on a limitless die is higher than that. Urgh.

The difference is less than 0.5 points of damage, however, and will not change the resulting probabilities of a kill.[/Edit]

[Edit #2]I forgot that Mr UnaugmentedTroll still has the Great Fortitude Feat, so he actuall only has to roll 4 to succeed in the Fort save DC 15 (+3 from Tough class base save, +6 from Con 22, +2 from GF Feat). That makes the chance of killing the troll with the d20 Modern character 0.15%.

That "Crit Damage Reduced Straight From Wounds" actually works out great. Okay then, using d20 Spycraft, you can forget all about the Fort saves. A 1st level sniper with a Barrett actually has a decent chance of dropping Mr UnaugmentedTroll with a single shot. Just make sure you are indeed using d20 Spycraft rules, because the d20 Modern rules still suck.[/Edit]
mfb
bad math, which you caught just before i did. the auto-crit rule is in Spycraft, pg 179. note that, in Spycraft, critical damage is dealt directly to wound points.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
if you're not sniping, no weapon should be capable of a consistent auto-kill in a hp game anyway.

2d20 still won't consistently auto-kill. That's a, what, 20% chance of rolling less than 10? I'm betting that 80% of the people who got hit by (not sniped by, but just hit by) .50BMG rounds were fatally injured. And that'd be assuming all those people were 1st level.
Austere Emancipator
And while I'm at it, I'd simply love to rip into the rest of the damage values of the d20 Spycraft weapons. But I guess it would totally go to waste, since nobody uses d20 Spycraft rules for realism. (Right?)

[Edit]**** that. Having had a closer look at the weapon lists, I'd really just like to rip it all to pieces and start over again. A .357 service revolver is twice as likely to jam as a 9mm service pistol? WTF? And 5.56x45mm weapons do the same average damage as 7.62x51mm weapons, but 7.62x54mmR weapons do 1.5 points more? 2xWTF?[/Edit]
mfb
right, because a loss of vitality points means you got hit by whoever was shooting at you. oh, wait! no, it doesn't! matter of fact, it specifically includes "near misses" in the sidebar on page 159!

the weapon values make more sense when you consider them in relation to wound points.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
right, because a loss of vitality points means you got hit by whoever was shooting at you. oh, wait! no, it doesn't! matter of fact, it specifically includes "near misses" in the sidebar on page 159!

So you are 4 times as likely to actually hit someone with a Barrett than with an AK47? (Because only a critical hit is an actual hit, and the Barrett has 4 times the crit range.)

PS. ARGH! Teflon-tipped bullets! eek.gif

(Yes, I'm kidding. Mostly.)
mfb
no, you're just 4 times as likely to kill them in one shot.

*shrug* there are problems with it, but there are problems with SR, too. generally, especially when it comes to modern combat, i prefer SR's mishandling of things to d20's.
Austere Emancipator
Then you're saying that a non-crit hit actually is a hit, and not (even potentially) a near-miss?

If the Spycraft gear list did not even try to be based on RL stats, then suspension of disbelief would be a heck of a lot simpler. If you don't know shit about calibers, then don't try to add them into your game, etc. It just pisses me off to see stats like that when they could've just asked any ole fanboy what would make sense.
mfb
i'm saying it's up to the guys playing the game to figure out a description that works. just like we have to do in SR, when a troll soaks a PAC round, or a bullet stops dead at its extreme range.

you've got issues with Spycraft's weapon values, but SR's a just fine? for the love of mike.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
just like we have to do in SR, when a troll soaks a PAC round

As we've been saying (quite a few times now), it's really fricken hard for a troll to soak a PAC round in SR. Even if you give the Troll some nice Heavy Security Armor + Helmet, he'll need a body of 28 and 8 CP to take a Serious wound on average.

I've house ruled it to be even harder (because such weapons penetrate most forms of body armor in my games without losing Power), but it still remains nearly impossible in canon SR.

No matter, it's certainly easier to describe non-crits from .50BMG as "grazes" and "near-misses" when every fifth hit is a crit. I'm not very happy with that ratio, but I'll live with it, as long as it only happens in somebody else's game.

you've got issues with Spycraft's weapon values, but SR's a just fine?

We already went over this, remember? And I addressed in the last message again. SRs weapon values actually do make more sense, and they suspend disbelief better because they don't even claim to be based on actual calibers or weapons. If they did, then I agree that they would be about as stupid as the d20 Spycraft weapons.
mfb
same here. like i said, i prefer SR's mishandling of combat to d20 modern / spycraft's.
bwdemon
Yes, I have been trained in firearms per US Army basic training and MP training. I watched as well over 50% of the people in basic couldn't hit the target 50% of the time at any range and many were worse. I watched as they adjusted and readjusted sights in an effort to correct this, but they never held the weapon the same, exercised proper breath control, or squeezed the trigger the same. These people had no idea what they were doing with a gun prior to their training. Of the ones who did well, most of them had prior experience with firearms (I qualified marksman with no prior experience). At least half of my company (and a large percentage of the others training with us) failed the automatic fire exercises, but this was conveniently overlooked in order to get us all through together. It was also really funny watching them try to hold the trigger just long enough for a three-round burst. Even when these people over a week in intesive, exclusive training, they still weren't good.

Give someone a rifle who has never used any sort of firearm at all. They've seen television and read a few stories, so they know which end the bullet comes out of and they know where the trigger is. Tell them how they should hold it, how they should aim, and how/when they should squeeze the trigger. Then let them fire away happily. Will they hit consistently at 50m? Not a chance, unless they have some real aptitude for it. Will they hit half the time? Maybe, but that's not consistent. Where will they hit when they do manage to hit the target? Will they have any real control over it or will they just hope for a good shot? Will the recoil shock them? Hurt them? Will they close their eyes as they squeeze the trigger?

Unless they've been trained and/or been around trained people using them, most people will not hit consistently at 50m. If they do hit, they'll be lucky to group it at all and luckier still to hit anything that would be an instant-kill on the target.

Now, back to the troll. Yes, he could have a 22 Constitution, unaugmented, according to d20 rules and I'll even agree with the bonuses you set forth for trolls. He'd be a basket case outside of that stat, a liability to himself and those around him, but it could happen.

I still don't agree with the "5th level" match between SR3 and d20, for all of the reasons I listed above. The skill example falls short, too. In d20, you get to use more than just your skill ranks, you get your attribute bonus, too, as well as any other bonuses you may have. A 1st level d20 character can have 4 rank + up to 5 from an attribute bonus + 2-5 from feats for any given skill. SR3 makes the mistake of discounting attributes altogether from skill use, but d20 does not. So if you've got a +2 from your attribute and +2 from a feat with 4 ranks base, you'd have a skill of +8 at 1st level. Ranks aren't all that matter in d20, thankfully. This person would meet dc 19 50% of the time and could "take 20" in some cases to ensure the best possible result of 28 (so long as you didn't have any time constraints).

I further disagree with your probability example. SR3 handles probability extremely poorly by using 16.7% increments and dropping 16.7% after an open-ended 6 is rolled for no reason other than the mechanic is poor. In d20, a GM has much more fine control over probabilities (5% increments). Saying that a TN 6 test in SR is equal to a DC19 check in d20 is way off base. A DC20 skill check is something that is pretty amazing, including such things as crafting a masterwork item, swimming in stormy water, moving at half speed on a surface less than 2" wide, casting a spell during an earthquake, combat training an animal, long jumping 20' with a 20' running start, learning a 5th level spell, and other very difficult tasks. A DC19 task is only slightly less difficult than the above (e.g. jumping 20' becomes 19'). You can compare based on probability, but SR3's probabilities are badly skewed due to the system, so the comparison won't work.

Regarding the lethality of d20, I say that it is lethal to all characters with the VP/WP game mechanic. D20 is severely lethal to low-level characters and it becomes less so as you increase in level, while still being lethal. SR is not lethal under most conditions and gets far less so as the characters become experienced. An experienced human shadowrunner wearing a secure jacket can avoid/soak massive amounts of damage between their combat pool, karma pool, and body. At 200-karma, this character could add 12 dice to his soak and reroll failures 4 times. Even at 0 karma, a completely unaware shadowrunner with 1 Body can invoke "hand of god" and take no damage from a point-blank Barrett shot fired by an expert marksman under optimal conditions. That's lethal? In d20, you get the roll and you deal with the consequences.

As for the Toughness feat, I've taken it before on a D&D character. A sorcerer with four base HP really enjoys having three more HP at 1st level. It's even more useful under the WP/VP game mechanic.
Cain
Give someone a rifle who has never used any sort of firearm at all. They've seen television and read a few stories, so they know which end the bullet comes out of and they know where the trigger is. Tell them how they should hold it, how they should aim, and how/when they should squeeze the trigger. Then let them fire away happily. Will they hit consistently at 50m?

*raises hand*

Not only did I do that the very first time I fired a gun, I was one of the worst shots at summer camp that year. I managed to consistently hit the paper at that range; I'd say that many of the kids at camp could land at least one shot in the red.

Now, I don't have D20 modern or spycraft, but let's look at the other end of things. Using d20, it's nearly impossible to kill a person with a single shuriken. If I put it in the hands of a 10th level fighter with a +4 str mod, even on a critical I'm not going to kill someone with 50 HP. Or look at the basic dagger-- you're just not going to kill anyone with more than 15 HP with a dagger. It doesn't really matter if it's Joe Peasant of Conan on the handle side of that dagger, if you're reasonably tough, a guy with a dagger is not a threat.

I'll let you guys figure this comparison, but here's how I see things.
LoseAsDirected
Another issue I have with the d20 system is the damage of weapons.

In SR, for example, a weapon has a base damage score that is always dealt, so long as one success is rolled. You can stage this damage up with more successes.. So, a skilled runner can make even a light pistol a lethal weapon..

In d20, a pistol does about 1d10.. So the damage of the weapon is left entirely to chance.. The skill of the character only determines if the shot hits or misses.. Not how effectively it hits.. The damage is completely random, and so a skilled shooter has just as good a chance of doing minimum damage as a low level character.
mfb
it's not like killing someone with a single shuriken is easy in real life, either--or in SR. i mean, let's take a look at SR's combat. what's the longest combat you've ever run? most engagements last 6-9 seconds in SR. at least in d20, combat takes something close to a realistic amount of time to resolve.

the weapon damage in d20 is static because stuff like dodging and soaking is rolled up into hp.

as far as the training thing goes, there really are some people who just plain can't shoot. when they squeeze the trigger right, they forget their breathing. when they remember to breathe right, they don't assume the same position with the weapon. when they get that right, they do it wrong again on the next shot. but a person who isn't a complete spaz can be trained to point their weapon in the right direction with two weeks of hard training. if i was going to run someone through BCT in Spycraft, they'd probably end up with 2 levels of Soldier by the end of it.
Cain
it's not like killing someone with a single shuriken is easy in real life, either--or in SR. i mean, let's take a look at SR's combat. what's the longest combat you've ever run? most engagements last 6-9 seconds in SR. at least in d20, combat takes something close to a realistic amount of time to resolve.

Most of the real fights I've been in have been over within 5 seconds. Several minutes only occurs when people are wearing pads.

As far as the shuriken goes-- it's easier than you might think, in SR. If you have a skill of 3, it's entirely possible for you to kill someone; if you've got throwing Weapons/Shuriken at 6, it becomes fairly easy. OTOh, regardless of rather on not you're using vitality points or hit points, if someone's got more than 10 HP or 10 Con it's almost impossible.
mfb
which is just as it should be. otherwise, everyone would run around flicking shuriken at each other, instead of just using guns. how realistic is that?

a one-on-one fight taking five seconds, yeah--but in SR, fights between large groups of opponents resolve themselve in less than a minute all the time. how many bar fights take less than thirty seconds to end? how many firefights are over in less time than it takes to read this post?
Adarael
Most, actually.

Something like 92% of all gun battles are engaged at less than ten yards by untrained opponents, and are non-lethal in nature.

But that's probably not what you meant.
IcyCool
QUOTE (mfb)
am i wrong about any facts i've posted? do you have to kill things to gain xp, in d20? no, and i've shown page numbers which prove it.

You have indeed shown page numbers to prove it, but I believe the actual arguement was that the d20 system was geared towards combat. Though I may not be remembering that correctly. If so I apologize. frown.gif

QUOTE (mfb)

can d20 be a lethal system? yes, and i've given examples.

The question here wasn't "can d20 be a lethal system?", it was "does d20 provide a grittier, more lethal system than SR?". This is what I believe is known as a straw-man arguement. Though Bitbasher may correct me on that.

QUOTE (mfb)
is the L5R system now out of print? no, and i've shown what books you can find it being published in.

QUOTE (mfb)
edit: oh, L5R. have you even looked at the books? 'cos, see, i have, and i noticed right off the bat that the new books have stat blocks for both L5R and d20 Rokugan.

Two things here. The first is, I never said the L5R system was out of print. While from your tone I would be tempted to accuse you of another straw-man, I believe I was less than clear with my statement. Instead of "d20 killed the L5R d10 system", I should have said "d20 is killing the L5R d10 system." Second, as far as your "have you even looked at the books?" comment, yes I have. I will refer you specifically to the "Creatures of Rokugan" L5R/Oriental adventures supplement (one of the newer ones in fact). I dare you to find any L5R d10 stat blocks in that book. And the few other d20/d10 supplements I have, contain at most 10 pages of L5R stats. Each progressive L5R/Oriental adventures book that comes out seems to have less and less d10 material. The same thing is happening with 7th sea.

I'm watching one of my favorite gaming systems being crushed by the ironshod goose-step of WotC. And as if that weren't bad enough, I get to listen to you tell me that variety is a good thing, while from the other side of your face I get: "I dare any of you to give me a concept that I can't duplicate in The One System™."

The d20 system has it's place, and an official "Shadowrun D20" is not one of them. I like it for D&D, and to some extent, StarWars, but that's it. I know pretty much any system can be adapted to it, the same can be said of GURPS. So go, make your own unofficial Shadowrun D20 adaptation. But don't, for the love of God, tell me that the death of Shadowrun 3rd edition in favor of a d20 version is a good thing. wink.gif

[Edit]Damnit, forgot a very important smiley. You'd think I wouldn't miss shit like that. Oh well, I must be slipping.... biggrin.gif[/Edit]
toturi
QUOTE (IcyCool)
I will refer you specifically to the "Creatures of Rokugan" L5R/Oriental adventures supplement (one of the newer ones in fact). I dare you to find any L5R d10 stat blocks in that book. And the few other d20/d10 supplements I have, contain at most 10 pages of L5R stats. Each progressive L5R/Oriental adventures book that comes out seems to have less and less d10 material. The same thing is happening with 7th sea.

That assertion is incorrect, the original L5R books themselves already have a sort of "Creatures of Rokugan" in them. It was unnecessary to reprint them again. I do not see the lessening of D10 material from L5R/OA books. In fact, I see the authors as adhering strictly to "if you have a D20 stat block for something new, make sure there is a D10 stat block too."
IcyCool
QUOTE (toturi)

That assertion is incorrect, the original L5R books themselves already have a sort of "Creatures of Rokugan" in them. It was unnecessary to reprint them again. I do not see the lessening of D10 material from L5R/OA books. In fact, I see the authors as adhering strictly to "if you have a D20 stat block for something new, make sure there is a D10 stat block too."

While I will agree that the authors are indeed making an effort to maintain both systems, the fact remains that there is an entire book (ref. "Creatures of Rokugan") of d20 information without a single smattering of L5R stats. Not one. Zip. This does not imply good things to me. And if you think it is simply a reprint of the less-than-amazing bestiary in the L5R Gamemaster Guide, I urge you to check it out. It was, unfortunately, $25 wasted dollars to me. But I say that like it matters. If WotC tells me a book has information in it that it doesn't. I'll still by it, because I am a consumer whore. wobble.gif

And before you ask, yes, I can make shit up and call it a monster. But if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have paid money for the Creatures of Rokugan book. On the other hand, the new "Secrets of the:<insert clan name here>" series are reasonably good. Not worth the money I'm paying mind you (I generally don't like paying full price for a book that I'll only use half of), but good all the same.
mfb
what toturi said. the AEG RCS, Way of the Samurai / Ninja / Wujenga, and Fortunes and Winds all have d10 blocks side-by-side with d20. sure, there are more total pages of d20 stats--that's because a d20 stat block takes up more space. "one entire book" is not exactly the seventh seal, here. and if all you're using the books for is the stats--which isn't anywhere near half of the book--then that kinda weakens your argument about how d20 is so combat-oriented.

i never said d20 made for a grittier, deadlier system than SR. i never said it was a better system for SR. matter of fact, i've said several times that i prefer the SR system to d20 Modern or Spycraft, for modern and futuristic games. my main point is that d20 is a viable system for a gritty setting. i'm also shooting down wholly imaginary arguments like:

You only get 100% of the XP value of an opponent if you defeat them in combat.

Any other means of 'surviving an encounter' nets you only half the XP.

people see statements like that and assume the guy knows what he's talking about, and paint all d20 players with the munchkin brush. he doesn't know what he's talking about, and d20 is just as capable of 'deep' play as any other system. it depends completely on the gamers involved, and the setting used.

i would also question the idea that d20 is some kind of fourth reich, crushing all the smaller gaming systems with its twenty-sided tyranny. if d20 is popular, it's because people like the system.

yes, d20 is geared towards combat. but, humor me for a second. open up SR3, and count up how many pages you have in the "Combat" section. we'll leave out the vehicle combat rules, Matrix combat, and various magical whosits that are combat-oriented. now, count up the number of pages devoted to social interation. matter of fact, do that for any RPG on the market, with the possible exception of WoD. of course d20 is geared towards combat--combat is an integral part of almost any gaming session, under any system.
KarmaInferno
Just a point about using Wounds/Vitality in d20...

The best description of Vitality I've heard is to treat it as Luck. The ability to avoid getting killed. You use up luck avoiding death. More experienced characters tend to have greater amounts of this Luck than newbie ones.

It's a reasoning that works for me so far.

even that has problems, though (which i'll point out, to deflate the d20 naysayers!), in that luck really doesn't have a whole lot to do with constitution.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (bwdemon)
Give someone a rifle who has never used any sort of firearm at all. They've seen television and read a few stories, so they know which end the bullet comes out of and they know where the trigger is. Tell them how they should hold it, how they should aim, and how/when they should squeeze the trigger. Then let them fire away happily. Will they hit consistently at 50m?

Unless you consider a gas airsoft pistol or a BB gun a firearm, that's me when I first shot the RK62 (and the 40cm group at 150 meters I mentioned). And that was among the worst in the training platoon of 40. At 50 meters that would've been ~15cm. Assuming your sights are zeroed correctly, such a person should be capable of consistently hitting an immobile human-sized target at 50 meters.

If you're trying to argue that they probably shouldn't be capable of doing this in a firefight, that would be fine. That's another thing entirely. But on a range, you have to be extremely inapt in handling a firearm not to be capable of consistently getting 20cm groups at 50 meters the first time you ever handle any rifle in an assault rifle caliber or greater.

QUOTE (bwdemon)
Will they have any real control over it or will they just hope for a good shot? Will the recoil shock them? Hurt them? Will they close their eyes as they squeeze the trigger?

Since I never shot at any target where the best spot to shoot wasn't center-mass, I can't say anything about the 1st thing -- without a very accurate rifle and a scope, I'm guessing most people won't aim at anything but center-mass, even if they are extremely good shooters. I was never shocked nor hurt by recoil, and I don't know of anyone who was, at least with the RK62 -- if you get taught how to hold the rifle, you have to be pretty stupid to manage to get shocked or hurt by recoil. I didn't close my eyes the first time I fired the gun because I wanted to see what it looked like. Somebody might have the first time, but certainly not after, say, 10 shots.

QUOTE (bwdemon)
I watched as well over 50% of the people in basic couldn't hit the target 50% of the time at any range and many were worse.

If that's from the prone position, with zeroed guns, and a target at least 50cm/20" in diameter, then it means that either A) You got extremely sucky training or B) 50% of the people in basic were extremely inapt shooters. ~90% of the guys in my training platoon got the second 3 hits all in the 60cm/24" diameter target at 150 meters from the prone position. That's after 2 hours of training the handling of the gun in question, and having fired 3 shots before (so that the guns could be zeroed).

SR3 handles probability extremely poorly by using 16.7% increments[...]

Only when the person doing the test has exactly one die. With 2 dice, the steps are far smaller. With 3 dice, they are fractions of that.

A DC20 skill check is something that is pretty amazing [...] long jumping 20' with a 20' running start [...]

Oo, looky, that's TN 6 in Shadowrun!

d20 is severely lethal to low-level characters and it becomes less so as you increase in level, while still being lethal. SR is not lethal under most conditions and gets far less so as the characters become experienced. An experienced human shadowrunner wearing a secure jacket can avoid/soak massive amounts of damage between their combat pool, karma pool, and body.

An experienced human d20 character can't so much "avoid" or "soak" massive amounts of damage, but unless you play with the d20 Spycraft rules, and even then unless you happen to take a critical hit, such a character can (unarmored) take several Barrett hits, just as many AK47 bursts, or even more shotgun slug hits, and not take any ill effects whatsoever. That's none more lethal than SR is -- in most situations, it's far less, because hitting someone in d20 isn't much easier.

At very low levels, I agree that d20 is perhaps even more lethal than SR. It drops soon after the first level-ups.
mfb
loss of vitality points isn't a hit, any more than a wound soaked and dodged to nothing is a hit.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
even that has problems, though (which i'll point out, to deflate the d20 naysayers!), in that luck really doesn't have a whole lot to do with constitution.

Nor does it have a whole lot to do with completing BCT.

QUOTE (bwdemon)
Even at 0 karma, a completely unaware shadowrunner with 1 Body can invoke "hand of god" and take no damage from a point-blank Barrett shot fired by an expert marksman under optimal conditions.

Actually, he's more likely to invoke HoG and stay alive but unconscious until someone picks him up. HoG is "divine intervention", and works however the GM wants it to. Nothing about that rule says that it has to protect the PC in question from all harm. And it's an optional rule that GMs have complete power over.

And an experienced human shadowrunner with a secure jacket would still better have that HoG unused and at least 1 Karma Pool left, because he still hasn't got a snowflake's chance in hell of soaking that Barrett hit.

QUOTE (mfb)
loss of vitality points isn't a hit, any more than a wound soaked and dodged to nothing is a hit.

Right, and no more than 5% of all pistol shots in a stressful situation can ever be hits, no matter how good a shooter, no matter how stupid/big/slow the target.
mfb
austere, read the description of vitality points. they're not hit points. if i came up and said "body represents how attractive you are", i'd be just as wrong as you. SR has dodge and soak; Spycraft has vitality points.
Lilt
QUOTE (mfb)
austere, read the description of vitality points. they're not hit points. if i came up and said "body represents how attractive you are", i'd be just as wrong as you. SR has dodge and soak; Spycraft has vitality points.

LOL: See AE? I told you ppl were still arguing they represented dodging biggrin.gif

[edit]Actually body representing how attractive you are makes sense... The people shooting at you are off-put by your Troll or Elephant's stunning beauty that they deliberately mis-fire until they finally resolve themselves to actually shoot you. Haven't you noticed how it's the attractive people (james bond ETC) who are missed all the time? Asassins are trained well enough to ignore the target's ruggedly handsome looks and shoot to kill.[/edit]
mfb
criminey. allow me to quote the sidebar on vitality vs. wound points found on page 159 of Spycraft:

Your vitality points represent all the near misses and combat fatigue you can wade through before you start to suffer real injuries. When you lose wound points, that's when the blood starts flowing.

i'm really not so much arguing that dodging is a part of vitality, as i am all but quoting it from the book. you see the difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012