Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D20 Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Austere Emancipator
Proto: For an honest comparison, take e.g. a level 5 d20 cyberpunk character and face it off against a few gangers.

In most d20 games I know of, starting characters really are just starting out. A D&D level 1 fighter might never have fought in real combat. A D&D level 1 mage is likely to be straight out of a magic college. A (canon) beginning SR character has been in the business for a long time. To get a feeling for which is more "lethal", the SR d6 system or the d20 system, you'd need to compare two characters of similar amounts of experience (not in terms of game mechanics, but in actual time and effort in the business).

But I'm not going to argue for or against in this issue. I use SR d6 because I like the principle. I can see how others might like d20 more. Why people are so passionate about this, I'll never understand. Might as well argue which is better: Bread or porridge. Soups or solid foods.
L.D
I've stayed out of this discussion, but now I can't anymore.

Prototype, that sammie is ridiculus. A starting initiative of 12+3D6 isn't low. That's better than the sammie in the BBB.

I've been playing SR for quite some time and I've never seen a character with stats as high as those, specially not a starting character. If you play on that level, then of course those gangers aren't gonna hurt him, but if you have a lower powerlevel then that, then those same gangers are gonna be a problem.

Here are some stats for the meanest character I've GM:ed the last couple of years:

Body 10 (11)
Quickness 7 (9)
Strength 9 (11)
Charisma 5
Intelligence 4 (5)
Willpower 6
Reaction 7 (11)
Initiative 1D6 (3D6)
Combat Pool: 10
SKILLS
Pistols 6
SMG 6
Assault Rifles 5
Karate 7

And this is after more than 200 karma.
Raptor1033
well i did have a nice long post, but somehow it all got deleted before i posted it, time for slight shorthand frown.gif i like em both for different reasons, gm's getting new rules for buying advancement with xp instead of level based for d&d. hopefully will be better
Lilt
Hmm? 2d6+2 has a mean of 9. How exactly does 13 - 9 = -2?
Zazen
QUOTE (mfb)
then why is it that someone who knows how to throw baseballs (throwing weapons 3) can suddenly gauge the point at which he should release a throwing knife, to hit a given target point-first?

Do you mean someone who knows how to damage people with baseballs (throwing weapons/baseballs 1/3), or someone who knows how to throw knives, shuriken, spikes, grenades, and baseballs equally well (throwing weapons 3)? nyahnyah.gif
Prototype
L.D. that sammie I posted is not ridiculous in the slightest. If you want ridiculous I could post any number of characters that would no doubt garner howls of derision from the Dumpshock natives.

What I struggle to believe is that thing you posted... I assume he is an ork? If not those are some screwy numbers you have in there! So, working with that assumption he's got no business calling himself a sammie! How did he earn his 200 karma... flipping burgers? Because if he'd been Shadowrunning for 200 karma he could probably afford some half decent cyber and bio!

Chargen treat stats are easy... Body 6, +3 for being an Ork, +1 for Suprathyroid, +2 Titanium Bone Lacing and +4 from Dermal Sheath 3 = 16. Even a human can have Body 13 quite easily by doing that... and let's face it, any sammie who intends to get into a fight would be foolish for not going down that road at least some of the way.

As for initiative, okay, maybe my crack about very low was slightly tongue in cheek... but it's an easily attainable initiative. At character generation you can easily have a Quickness and Intelligence of 9 (assuming your GM allows bioware) for Reaction 9 + Suprathyroid + Enhanced Artic + Wired 2 + Reaction Enhancers = 16-21 +3d6. Though I suppose some people favour the Boosted and Synaptic Accel. option, but that's less legal for chargen.

Anyway, we all know what you can do, and it's not like these characters have to be like Body guy or Reaction guy... you can give them rounded skillsets and make them into excellent characters and not just an exercise in rules buggery. The bottom line is, I never saw a street sam that should fear a few gang punks.

On a related note... can we have fun converting SR characters to D&D... can we, please, huh? huh?

Take my ork from a few posts ago...

In D&D he pretty much has Str 40, Dex 30, Con 50 and CIW 13... he get's approximately 10 attacks a round and is an absolute master of two-weapon fighting, has a bunch of skills at totally amazing levels (so he must be a pretty decent level) and has weapons and armour that are off the charts. What a guy!
Tanka
Well, for one, what you posted is an SR2 character. Ambidex is now an Edge, not a skill.

And where do you get Int 9 from? In SR2, sure. Starting in SR3? No. The highest (If your GM allows Cultured Bio) would be an 8. Encephalon no longer adds itself straight to Int.

And that ain't a Street Sammie, that's a gunbunny. The Street Sammie wouldn't have even been noticed by the Street Punk.

Street Samurai are not all about killing and maiming, despite popular opinion.
Prototype
No. It is an SR3 character. I think I know the difference.

Ambidexterity is an edge. It's an edge that comes in 2, 4, 6 and 8 point versions. When posting on a board such as this it helps to define which the character has. Speaking of edges, Exceptional Attribute (Intelligence) is also one... taking this will allow you to have Intelligence 7 with a Cerebral Booster for 9.

Why is he a gunbunny? What does that even mean? He can have Stealth 6 which with his Enhanced Articulation makes him nice and sneaky, give him Negotiation 6, Electronics 6 and here we have the makings of a character even! Oh, and with his high intelligence he probably spots your Sammie then uses his amazing speed to take him out before you even get around to rolling your 2d6+5 initiative.

Why make crap characters when you can have good ones? Does it make you feel proud to go in and say 'Look Momee! I made a shadowrunner who only uses hold-out pistols!' or would your mates riot if they found out you'd bought a trauma damper?

Just being tough, strong and fast doesn't make a character a killing machine. It just means he's better at killing when he needs to.
Lilt
It has to be said that almost every archetype can kill about as many street-punks as they have bullets... Mages invis themselves and rain-down spells. Riggers open-up with drones mounting automatic weapons and 5 points of vehicle armour... I don't see how a street sam, fully prepared and in full combat gear, being able to munch through weak goons indefinately is too powerful. It still takes only one of them, however, to kill him if he dosen't know they're there (called shot to ignore armor + some aiming).
bwdemon
QUOTE (leemur)
The best adapations of the d20 system I have seen keep maybe 50% of the system the same and change the rest. Not even in the most house ruled games I have seen have there been changes this drastic.

And this matters how? SR could modify it all it wants so long as it sticks to OGL minimums.

QUOTE (leemur)
The background creates an atmosphere, and the game system should mesh with that atmosphere. As many people have said, Shadowrun is gritty and needs a gritty game system, which D20 is not.

LOL! Again, d20 is more lethal than SR. Only once have I ever had a character die in SR and I've had plenty of characters die in d20 at all levels. I've never even been threatened with death on any character over 50 karma. Use vitality/wound points and d20 becomes far more lethal at all levels of the game.

QUOTE (leemur)
Not true. There is no way to ensure that all feats are of equal value., since they all have the same cost. In a point based system (say...Shadowrun?) it would be possible to give different valued feats different costs.  On the other hand, if I could transport one thing from d20 to Shadowrun, it would be feats. There are many things a character might want to be able to do that wouldn't be covered by a skill or edge.

Feats do have different "costs", in a way. Many feats have pre-requisites that prohibit players from simply acquiring the best feats immediately. These prerequisites can be level, class, attribute, skill, combat ability, and/or prior feats. Because you have to fulfill the prerequisite, you cannot just grab the latest and greatest at chargen and many require 10+ levels before you can even consider them.

QUOTE (leemur)
Surprise situation, no combat pool. Punk has 4 dice and a decent pistol. The average human (not troll or orc) is looking at 2 medium wounds, one after the other. Things just go downhill from there. The dice can screw a PC just as easily as the DM can.

PCs are not average humans. I am a huge fan of low-power campaigns with restricted access to equipment and dice caps. Even in these games, the punk wouldn't come close to hurting any of the runners I've gamed for and with. I'd love to hear how many PCs are out there with 2 Body getting surprised by and taking 6 boxes from a low-end street punk with a heavy pistol.

QUOTE (leemur)
(paraphrased) Many of the things you mentioned that d20 can do, many other systems can too.

and

QUOTE (Playing Games)
But,these problem points are almost always the default.Your anwsers to these sore spots,are minorities.

My point there is that a lot of people do not believe that d20 can do the things I mentioned. I find myself repeating them all too often and I've seen people from the other thread continue to make the errors even after they've been corrected. My hope is that repetition will eventually force them to learn. The alternate mechanics are not minorities, as others have mentioned, and there is no reason to make SR d20 conform directly to D&D d20 when other mechanics would work better and are already available.

QUOTE (Playing Games)
Yes,and at the same time you have even less reason to make rounded characters.As in D20, each skill point,both cost the same,and improves your chances at the same rate.5%.

Now,you want wide number ranges,with a little work you can change shadowrun into a D10 system.You only need to fix karma,and change a few numbers,most of witch can be done by times all numbers by 1.6 and rounding down.

If a d10 system is better than a d6 system, a d20 system is better still. The bigger issue is that, in SR, the difference between a 2 and a 3 stat or skill is HUGE. As for skills, absolutely nothing limits SR skill advancement. In SR, you can have a 6 (or a 5/7) in any skills you have the points to purchase at chargen. That's before any 'ware, magic enhancements, or die pools (we all know of the ambidextrious physads). After that, you're limited only by your karma gains. In d20, you are always limited to (level + 3) for maximum ranks in the skill. To this, you add any modifiers from magic, attributes, 'ware, and other factors. Thanks to the mechanics of the d20 system, the modifers still don't upset the game balance at any given level. Basically, d20 balances gameplay by default among all characters at the same level.

QUOTE (Playing Games)
(on game balance) Counter point,neither is in d20.Let's take d20 stats,the thing you have such love for.Some of them are progressive,others aren't.Your con gives you points to skills,and also gives you hit points per-level.Not all the sats have the same amount of skills,and I highly doubt you prove me that the skill spread is remotely balanced.

It depends on the skills that are used in the d20 system in question. There are many skills available for all attributes, giving any character a wide variety to choose from. Characters may perform most skills adequately without having any ranks in them at all, they just perform more consistently and can accomplish greater feats if they take ranks in the skills. Skill advancement is limited by level. Attribute advancement is limited by race. Feats are not gained so rapidly as to allow for imbalance. Attribute increases are even more limited. The skill spread is not perfectly balanced, but when combined with combat use and saving throw modifiers, the skills and attributes balance out reasonably well. They certainly balance better than SR3, which is among the worst offenders and doesn't even allow attributes to work on their linked skills except for purposes of skill advancement.

The SR d6 system simply uses numbers and probabilities that are too small to achieve desired and remotely realistic results. A change of a single point to a TN incurs a 16.7% change in probability. That is, so long as the TN doesn't go from 6 to 7 (or vice versa), which is a 0% change. Gotta love that. Things get really bad when you get over 7. The chance of succeeding changes drastically with even the most minor changes in TN, let alone a change of 2+ points. This applies to skill use and combat. Armor reduces damage to you, based on how tough you are under it. A character with 6 Body, wearing an armored vest is less likely to take damage from an attack than a character with 1 Body wearing heavy armor.

In the d20 system, the difficulty of completing a task can be raised or lowered 5% incrementally for any given character in any given situation. For skill rolls, however much you make the roll by determines how well you did and, if applicable, how much time it took you. For combat, you first need to hit, and then your damage is rolled based on your method of attack. If you do very well (critical) then you may do more damage. Damage is randomized for each weapon, allowing for a greater range of effects than in SR. Depending on which system you use, armor may lower than chance of your being hit or it may reduce damage to you. I highly prefer the latter mechanic, but both can be justified and they'll work equally well regardless of the toughness of the character wearing it.

Now, onto the balance of feats. Cleave may give a single extra attack. However, it has two pre-requisites: 13 STR & prior feat (power attack). If you kill an opponent and there is another opponent adjacent to you, you may get a single attack on that adjacent opponent. Under no other circumstances may you do so and you are limited to one exercise of the feat each round. Great cleave allows for additional attacks on multiple adjacent opponents, but further requires that you have a base attack bonus of 4+ and that you have both power attack and cleave as prior feats. You still only get additional attacks so long as opponents are adjacent and killed by you in that round. The second that one survives an attack or you miss or you cannot reach them, your great cleave bonus ends. Now, is any character likely to kill anything greater than a CR1-2 mook in a single swing? No. Further, all of these feats require that you be in melee combat, which will spoil the shots of your party members against anyone adjacent to you (unless they've taken the appropriate feat). They do balance, thanks to prerequisites and game effects. Is taking a skill focus comparable to taking a feat like cleave? In a combat sense, no. In a sense where your character needs to use that skill, yes. If your game is about anything other than combat, which any game can be just as easily as any other, then it the skill focus will be equally useful.

As for spells, nothing would force SR d20 to accept the same spell mechanic as D&D. However, I will say that my D&D spellcasters know far more spells than my SR spellcasters. They just can't cast as many (usually). Again, the limits of the d6 system regarding TNs severely impact the use of drain as a game mechanic. I really like drain as a mechanic. So make it a check based on spell level, caster level, and spellcasting stat. Fail the check, take spell level in d6 damage. Critically fail the check and take the damage in wound points. Use part of the sorcerer-style spell system (no memorization) combined with this simple drain mechanic and you're good to go. This took me all of maybe a minute to come up with, so I'd guess that a decent game designer could flesh it out fully in a day or two at most.

I'll let this go for now and get back to reading the rest of the thread... smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Prototype: And now create the most bad-ass level 5 FighterHunterKillerMasterSlayer (or whatever such classes are called in the modern d20s), and see how many level 1 average gangers he can beat with the d20 rules.

Since you apparently ignored me the first time around, I'll say it again: Starting characters in SR are nothing like starting characters in most d20 games.

If your problem is that you think SR starting characters are too powerful, just use Point Buy with less points, or BeCKS with a reasonably low Karma limit. If your problem is that people think SR is lethal while you routinely min/max yourself starting characters that can kick any GDs ass... then you're just being silly.
LoseAsDirected
QUOTE (mfb)
*sigh* you gain XP for defeating foes. if the bad guys run away because you Intimidated them to hell and back, you get the XP. if you snuck around them, you get the XP. if you waded in and slaughtered them, you get the XP. if you paid them 200gp to sod off, you get the XP.

in most games--SR, D&D--involve combat to a heavy degree. how realistic is it for a shaman to spend gobs of karma on initiation, spells, ally spirits, etc., and never get better at combat?

and the single Spycraft game you saw played isn't exactly iron-clad evidence.

playing games, you're not taking into account the fact that different classes emphasize different attributes. yeah, Str is good--but if i'm a rogue, i'd rather have Dex. if i'm a Paladin, Cha is pretty important because it modifies nearly everything i do. if i'm a wizard, who cares about Str? it's all about the Int.

what you're talking about is variety. variety is a good thing.

You only get 100% of the XP value of an opponent if you defeat them in combat.

Any other means of 'surviving an encounter' nets you only half the XP.
Tanka
Wait... SR isn't lethal?! Who the frag is your GM, and tell him to rethink things.

Slums, Bad Cops, Bad Sec Boys, Gangs, Yaks, Triads, Mafia, Rings... How are they not lethal?
Prototype
Hmmm, okay, let's assume they can call a shot and ignore armour, base TN is 4 (short range, generous, but still), target is stationary, called shot and then aiming twice... still TN5. Mr. Punk rolls his 8 dice (4 skill + 4 pool) and gets 3 successes (slightly above average, but hey) he even uses his one point of karma for a reroll and gets that up to 4 successes. Hmmm, looks bad for Mr. Sammy eh?

Now, Mr. Sammy doesn't get combat pool because he's surprised... but he does get his natural armour so we're resisting 8M +4 successes, eh? I take my 15 Body dice and score on average 2 successes... could go for a reroll and I'm virtually assured the 1 more success I need to take a Moderate, chances are I'll get two. My platelet factory and trauma damper aren't surprised and they change that nasty shot to a box on each condition monitor. I'm really worried at this point... I forgot to take symbiotes, but with my Quick Healer edge (who doesn't have it!) I'll probably be feeling fine in oh, about 3 hours. Ouch! That hurt!

At this point we roll initiative, I make a couple of perception tests and then annihilate Mr. Gang Punk and his pals till the cows come home.

Sure, they can crack out the called shots and a few of them might get lucky... but with movement, cover, getting in fights, etc. I'm probably going to be able to dodge most of them and soak the rest. Plus, once he's hit me once I'll put the hood on my Form Fitting on... where's he calling shots to now? I've got 5 points of Ballistic all-over baby!
moosegod
In answer to the idea of this thread...

well, I don't think I need to register my feelings.
Tanka
Oh, I forgot this:

Sure, he can take a hit. And, sure, you can throw him more skills... But what are his social interactions going to be with bullet holes in his clothes and cyber sticking out?

Just because you can twink an SR character doesn't mean you have to. Hell, I've made Trolls that go against the norm of "Me Hulk me smash!" Troll Combat Mages, for one. I'm NPCing a Troll Conjuring Adept. I've even had Troll B&E experts. Same with Orks. I've also had Elven gunbunnies.

I know that all is way off topic, but, honestly Prototype, you're taking something that was made just to take bullets, which, in essnece, is a gunbunny.
Lilt
QUOTE (bwdemon)
LOL! Again, d20 is more lethal than SR. Only once have I ever had a character die in SR and I've had plenty of characters die in d20 at all levels. I've never even been threatened with death on any character over 50 karma. Use vitality/wound points and d20 becomes far more lethal at all

Umm. How lethal SR is depends on how you play it. If you really do just send below-average gangers against the players then it won't be deadly at-all. All it takes is a bit of APDS, however, and anyone wielding a heavy pistol becomes a threat.

Remember: Corps don't need to pay street index or roll the availability number. If heavy armour is so common that APDS is *needed* to stop shadowrunners then for god's sakes give it to the dammn guards.
LoseAsDirected
I have, to this date, had 2 characters die in any d20 game. I have only lost 1 character of my own in any d20 game.

I have, to this date, had over 30 characters die in my Shadowrun games. I have lost about 4 of my own characters.
Tanka
Another fun fact in the games I've played: One player lost three characters in one night. Yup. Three.

I guess that means SR isn't lethal, huh? ohplease.gif
Prototype
Now, to address some other points...

Tanka - I'm the GM... and I make sure things are fairly dangerous in my games, but you just can't do lethality in the 'anyone with a gun is a threat' sense. The skills system and everything else in the game is against it. In SR terms, if I pick up a .44 Magnum, walk up to someone and pull the trigger I'd probably struggle to do them a Moderate wound (Q4 against TN6 minimum!) - is that in any way realistic! No, obviously not. Now if the PC's go trolling round the Barrens I usually have most gang punks run the other way - cause they sure as hell ain't hurting them. The PC's are all about the 200 karma mark and pretty well designed. Sure, they have trouble with corp strike teams, ghosts, banded, anyone with APDS, etc. but against run of the mill gangers they have little or no fear.

Additionally, we've had characters that go against the grain. I'm sure we all have. But the guys I'm talking about don't have to be made of metal. Most of their stuff isn't picked up on a routine inspection... reflex triggers, etc. Okay, dermal sheath and the like maybe, but even that's not child's play to spot. You can be a 'gun bunny' as you say and a character, even a character who's good at non-fighting things.

Austere - I didn't ignore you. My point was less about D20 vs. SR and more about SR's legendary 'lethality' - off topic I know, but that's why I didn't justify myself to you. My analysis of starting SR characters was just to dispute the 'lethality' claims. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the whole D&D starting characters are pish thing! Although I reckon a level 1 fighter has probably been in a few scraps!

I don't think the starting characters are too powerful in SR, I like them the way they are. I'm just saying that this rumoured lethality is total nonsense. In SR I could, as the rules are written, leap from a 4 storey building and probably take a moderate wound... or jump in front of a car travelling at 30mph with little appreciable damage! Guns are apparently only dangerous in the hands of those who know how to use them and if two untrained humans get in a fistfight they apparently stand around bitch slapping each other all day!

LoseAsDirected - Your SR games sound fairly dangerous... but with magic, overflow, trauma patches and decent biotech SR characters lives should only really be endangered through extreme stupidity! They can take poundings all day long and keep coming back for more!

Lilt - I don't send below par gangers up against my runners. In fact, 99% of the time I find myself having to upgrade the bad guys in any of the published modules. Take the arcology for example, the Banded are a joke compared to your average PC... but they should be a fearsome foe! Here's my take on a level 3 Banded...

B11, Q10, S10, C3, I6, W6, 4d6+17 Initiative, Assault Rifles 4/5, Athletics 4/5, Biotech 4, Edged Weapons 6/7, Electronics 4, Etiquette 2 (Corporate 4), Karate 6/7, Leadership 3, Pistols 5/6, SMG 6/7, Stealth 5/6, Throwing 4/5, Snake Eyes Interface (Full-X, Rating cool.gif, Auto-Injector w/Cutter Nanites x5 (Didn't Deus realise 1 dose won't kill a tough guy?), Reusable Auto-Injector (5 dose capacity), Reusable Auto-Injector (5 dose capacity), Dedicated Chipjack (Deus BTL Program), Invoked Memory Stimulator, Router w/10 Ports, Cyberears, Cybereyes, Orientation System w/Battletac Cyberlink, Reaction Enhancers 3, Smartlink-2, Biomonitor w/Diagnosis Processor, Ceramic Bone Lacing, Reaction Enhancer 5, Boosted Reflexes 3, Dermal Sheath 2, Air/Blood/Ingested Toxin Filter (Rating 4), Platelet Factory, Trauma Damper, Muscle Toner 3, Muscle Augmentation 3, Suprathyroid, Enhanced Articulation, Synaptic Accelerator 1, Cerebral Booster 1, Heavy Security Armour, Form Fitting Shirt, explosive ammunition for SCK Model 100, EX-Explosive ammunition for Browning Max-Power and 2 IPE Defensive Grenades.

Now that's more challenging to a PC, a squad of those guys will make the PC's sweat a bit... a squad of as-written level 3 banded would get laughed off the park by most runner teams.
Tanka
If by "most runner teams" you mean "your runner teams," then yes. Not every group makes characters for the sole purpose of winning. Some seem to make them to be fun and see how things turn out.

For one, a regular player that I game with plays a total pacifist. If there is supposed to be combat, being the wily Snake Shaman, we are convinced to avoid it, find out why we're told to kill this person, then decide if we want to tell this person or not.

Sure, the system is screwed up in that, when I'm untrained I can't do jack-all, but the moment I'm trained I'm insanely good. Every system has its flaws, and SR is not outside of that well-based generalization. However, there are things like house rules that take away the silliness of somebody jumping off a building and walking away from it.
Lilt
Prototype: There are no rules that stop you from aiming enough to take that TN down to 4, 3 or even 2. At TN 3 the sammie is on-average toasted, not to mention that if he does survive he will probably be on a +3 to TNs and any remaining gangers now get surprise rolls against the sammie. The sammie may have reaction 12 but with a +3 from wound penalties that 12 reaction runner now loses against the reaction 4 gangers. The gangers proceed to call a few more shots, always to avoiding armour, the ones that beat the sammie doing moderate wounds.

It's not long before the sammie is either dead or on a +5 or +6 to all actions from wound penalties making it incredibly difficult for him to do anything (at which point they bum-rush him, hold him down, and shoot him in the head at point-blank range).

IE: Versus 4 or so gangers the sammie would probably die if he was not prepared.
moosegod
And we haven't even started talking about corporate hit teams.

ie The whole reason my group has converted to non-lethal weapons.
Prototype
Yeah, and I've got plenty of house rules to crank the lethality of other things up as well... but when people speak about SR they talk about how dangerous it is and how lethal and all this... but as written, it ain't. That's what I'm trying to get folk to admit, as painful a process as it is!

As for characters, when I'm playing a rp game I'm generally not too concerned with 'winning' as you put it. SRners are tough, wily hombres as a general rule and when designing the character there's no point in hamstringing them to increase the 'fun' of the game!

As for pacifists... funny this, but we had a pacifist character in a campaign too! What, suddenly I'm Mr. Doom 2063??? All my players run about looking for BFG so they can kill more corpsec goons? Chill out!
moosegod
eek.gif

Not lethal as written?

What the hell does your team fight? This is a world where people paralyzed from the neck down can fly the most incredably damaging vehicles known to man, and will too! EVERYBODY is dangerous in the Sprawl. Hell, they have to be, else they're ghoul food.
Tanka
Maybe that's why all your PCs seem to be overpowered, because you houserule to up the lethality, so it's dealt with by making more powerful PCs. If you want lethal, limit it. They can only get stuff at this rating, or this availability. Suddenly they can't get that high-class armor, or all the wiz 'ware. Even limit the books and release the toys slowly. Now they've gotta pick and choose what they take, and they can't just power a character right at chargen.

If you aren't so apt on winning, then why not make it fun with strange characters? Nothing you have posted has led me to believe that your characters are fun characters that aren't just there to aim at and shoot everything that moves.
Zeel De Mort
You can only aim a number of times equal to half your skill, i.e. the ganger with Pistols 4 can only get a maximum of -2 on his TN, if he spends two simple actions aiming. Plus he has, at best, probably a stealth skill of 4, so there's a good chance the CyberKing will spot him, more of a chance if the ganger brought three of his equally clumsy friends with him. (I'll use the word CyberKing in place of Street Sammie or Gunbunny or whatever since people seem to have their own ideas about them. CyberKing will be a generic term that just means any tough guy with lots of cyberware and various skills, many, but certainly not all related to combat).

I've never played D&D at higher levels, but even at low level (say 1-8 or so) it's pretty dangerous. A couple of unlucky criticals hits on you and some classes could get killed straight out, and even a tough guy fighter doesn't like it. Likewise at any level, but particularly at higher ones, if you fail just one save there's a good (or 100%) chance you'll be dead. That's pretty leathal if you ask me. At least in SR you roll several dice, so you're more likely to get an average result and not be at the mercy of a D20. Plus there's karma, pool dice and the like to save your ass.

Don't get me wrong though I like D&D just as much as SR, but I'd say D&D is more leathal.

Also: I don't see how doing well and gearing yourself to winning through in any given situation, or indeed having a powerful character in general, makes the game less fun.
Tanka
The setting is what's lethal. Corrupt city officials, starved slummers, corporate extraterritoriality... At least in D&D, the area you're in has laws and (supposedly) they are enforced equally everywhere. Not so with SR. LS won't even pretend to touch the baddest parts of town, but where the people are rich and pay well, they're there in two seconds flat if something goes down (or up, as the case may be).
Lilt
What we are saying is that Shadowrun is perfectly lethal at any level. Hell: an offensive IPE grenade would take almost any character out (unless they had platet factories or a trauma dampener, in which case use two).

[edit] Oops. missed that section of the aiming rules. Thx...[/edit]
Zeel De Mort
The SR setting can, certainly, be very leathal. But I guess what people are arguing over is whether the rules system is leathal or not.

Also, D&D can be pretty damn nasty too! If you're delving into the deepest darkest dragon lairs, or sneaking about in the underdark, who's going to come and save you when things turn ugly there? smile.gif Ok you don't HAVE to go into any dungeons or fight any dragons, but well, most people do, hence the name I guess. Likewise you don't have to go into those corp facilities ever, but what are you going to do with your life if you don't?
LoseAsDirected
I'd like to point out that, in SR, there are no resurrection spells. You do not come back to life after you are dead.

That fact, alone, makes it far more lethal than D&D could ever be.

And my games are no more lethal than any other game I've witnessed.. In fact, if your players are never taxed, then it makes me wonder how good of a GM you really are.

Face it, Shadowrun is about criminals breaking the law.. Their lives should be in danger almost every second of the run.. Even during downtime, they should be paranoid.. And it's your job, as the GM, to ensure that they are.

I don't kill PCs because I think it's my job.. I put them in dangerous, realistic situations because it's my job.. And, quite often, no matter how good a PC is, they just aren't good enough.

In my opinion, no run against a megacorp should EVER go over 100% smoothly.. In fact, they should usually just barely manage to get out with their lives and anonymity intact.
Prototype
Lilt - whilst I don't have my books with me I'm fairly certain you can only aim up to half your skill. So, those skill 4 gang punks can't get the TN down as low as you'd suggest.

Also, my Sammie with Reaction 12 and 3d6 initiative up against your punks with 1d6+4 has to be seriously wounded on both condition monitors for you to win initiative and even then you have only a 1 in 1296 chance of beating him!

So overall, prepared or not the Sammie is kicking ass!

As for IPE grenades... hmmm, well, imagine that my Sammie gets tagged by a grenade - lands right on him. He gets an action before it goes off, so he decides not to try and throw it back TN6 with Q9??? Not hard, but still, he runs... with three actions in a turn he moves 9m, hmmm, okay... he walks away from it. So he is 3m away when it goes off. So the damage code is 12S, probably stages up to 12D+4... he has 7 points of impact armour for 5D+4, he rolls 15 Body, slams in 3 combat pool and takes 4 boxes of physical and a box of stun. If he's got more CP left he could easily get that down to the famous box/box config.

Zeel de Mort - with a name like that you should know about power!

Tanka - Nah, it's not that at all. The upped lethality applies to things like collisions, falling, etc. and that's in response to shadowrun characters... and also in response to looking at what would happen to average denizens of the SR world in those situations. Availability is limited, gear is hard to acquire... you don't need APDS and heavy military armour to be a tough guy! As for my characters not being 'fun' I haven't posted anything about them... so it'd be pretty hard for you to make any judgements.

Moosegod - There are things in SR that are lethal... nobody likes a Panther Cannon for instance (although, it isn't instant death...) but I'm saying that it isn't the 'oh my god he's got a Fichetti executive action I'm in a world of trouble' type of lethality that people would have you believe.
L.D
@Prototype.

Yeah he's an ork. I find you saying that he can't be a sammie very amusing. smile.gif

He's the character I've had the most difficulty with, becuase he's a much better fighter than the rest of the group and if I really want to make it leathal for him, then the rest of the group is in some seriuos shit.

I was gonna go on about this, but you know, you play at a completly different powerlevel and it's no use comparing. Even though few om my players have experienced character death, all of 'em have had at least one close encounter.

You as the GM chose the powerlevel and thus how lethal the game is within the written rules.

Edit: And I also carefully monitor the use of the ambidexterity edge. Specially the two highest levels of it. The same with aptitude.
LoseAsDirected
QUOTE (Zeel De Mort)
You can only aim a number of times equal to half your skill, i.e. the ganger with Pistols 4 can only get a maximum of -2 on his TN, if he spends two simple actions aiming. Plus he has, at best, probably a stealth skill of 4, so there's a good chance the CyberKing will spot him, more of a chance if the ganger brought three of his equally clumsy friends with him. (I'll use the word CyberKing in place of Street Sammie or Gunbunny or whatever since people seem to have their own ideas about them. CyberKing will be a generic term that just means any tough guy with lots of cyberware and various skills, many, but certainly not all related to combat).

I've never played D&D at higher levels, but even at low level (say 1-8 or so) it's pretty dangerous. A couple of unlucky criticals hits on you and some classes could get killed straight out, and even a tough guy fighter doesn't like it. Likewise at any level, but particularly at higher ones, if you fail just one save there's a good (or 100%) chance you'll be dead. That's pretty leathal if you ask me. At least in SR you roll several dice, so you're more likely to get an average result and not be at the mercy of a D20. Plus there's karma, pool dice and the like to save your ass.

Don't get me wrong though I like D&D just as much as SR, but I'd say D&D is more leathal.

Also: I don't see how doing well and gearing yourself to winning through in any given situation, or indeed having a powerful character in general, makes the game less fun.

In SR, the difficulty to treat a wound with magic is dependant on the level of the wound..

In D&D, cure is cure is cure, regardless of how close to death you are.

That said, it's not as easy to heal in SR as it is in D&D...

So a critical hit in D&D may very well knock you down to -5 HP, leaving you with 5 rounds to live, but any Cleric can make it over to you and cast a few decent healing spells on you (with little to no problem), and boom! You're no longer in danger of death.

In SR, a critical hit can put you at Deadly + Overflow, and then your mage runs over to heal you. You've got roughly the same amount of time to live, but it will be harder for the mage to heal your deadly wounds, because they don't just say 'I cast Cure Critical Wounds'.. They have to make rolls to see if they succeed, then they have to resist drain, and even then, the healing spell has to be sustained, so it's entirely possible that even after the casting of the spell, you'll still die. And this isn't even counting the difficult involved if the person who went down is heavily cybered..

In D&D a mid level party has the means to have a slain party memeber resurrected.. In SR, a party is lucky if they can drag their dead chummers corpse out to prevent him from being chow for paranamials, or overtime for the local chop shop..

You cannot possible convince me that D&D is anywhere near as lethal as SR. I've played both games frequently for 7 years, and I've seen the difference (even with both systems going from 2nd edition to 3rd edition).. SR is hands down the more lethal system.

Another point, in D&D the DM is supposed to tailor the difficulty of an encounter based upon the parties average level.. The MM has CRs for all monsters to make this easier, and the DMG has XP charts for proper rewards.. This means that the name of the D&D game is 'kill monster of equal skill, gain set amount of XP, repeat until leveled'..

There is no such luck in the SR game. Karma rewards are based on the GMs whim, and little else.. If you're a new character and you decide to raid Renraku, you're going to face the same opposition as someone who's been running the shadows for a decade.

D&D is a dynamic world, with dynamic encounters.. In my mind, SR is static in most regards (Renraku will always have the best defenses possible), and dynamic in only a few regard, which never help the PCs (Renraku just developed a new version of APDS, that reduces the ballistic rating by 3/4).. Stuff like that makes it quite easy to see how SR is way more lethal than D&D..

Also, note.. This entire rant is based on the idea of running the games as they are meant to be ran.. You can quite easily make a D&D game more lethal by lowering the PCs attributes, giving them significantly less XP, and forcing them up against larger numbers of more powerful enemies.. That will make for a deadly D&D game (and I know, because I've seen it happen many times).. But that doesn't mean you are playing D&D 'by the numbers'.. Even the DMG suggests that if a DM does this they are doing something wrong.

In SR, if you piss of Renraku, you WILL have the Renraku Red Samurai after you, and they are well equipped, highly trained, and have large numbers and resources to draw from.. The relative strength of your PC doesn't change this.. Nor should it. You fuck with Renraku, and you get what you diserve. That's the flair of SR.
Prototype
I don't really want to wade into the lethality debate cross system... but I feel I have to!!!

D&D is more inherently dangerous than SR if you take that to mean the chances of your character dying. Okay, so you can be brought back to life... but I wonder why such a mechanism is introduced to a roleplaying game... perhaps because it's too easy to die!

At starting levels or high levels, against equally matched foes or against unevenly matched foes... D&D can be easy to take an unlucky hit in and just die. Or to fail a save and just die. There are no re-rolls to save you. Your dead.

In SR there are no resurrection spells, why? Well, ignoring any 'in character' reasons... there's a lot less need for them. A critical hit from a longsword can take even a first level fighter straight to -10 hit points, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Prototype
Sorry, L.D. but I just GM here... I didn't pick the power level... I just cracked open the BBB and said go get 'em tiger. I applied all the rules from there for chargen.

I didn't hand out delta grade like sweeties or anything, we're just using the rules in the books! And I monitor things like aptitudes and ambidexterity just as closely as the next guy!

Also, I prefer LoseAsDirecteds way of working things, in that - in SR - a Red Samurai is always a Red Samurai... whether the players are 10 karma runners or 300+ karma runners. I guess you favour alternative style of play as you talk about tailoring opponents to the tough guy character you published. But it doesn't make the world any more lethal.
Austere Emancipator
And this is where the stuff about starting chars in D&D vs SR I talked about comes in. There's no point discussing a 1st level guy taking a crit from a long sword (which, by the way, is very unlikely to put a 1st level fighter to -10, unless you routinely send 1st level parties against orogs or something) unless you then consider a BeCKS 200 Karma or 60BP character getting tagged with 6 successes on an AR burst.
Tanka
1) There's an edit button. Use it. biggrin.gif

2) What makes a game more lethal? Being killed easily, knowing that somebody will have a Resurrect spell handy. Or being killed, and being dead for good. I'd say the second option.

D&D is all the luck of one die roll. You can do many things: Fail miserably (botch), fail, succeed, succeed well, or succeed insanely well. All based on one die. The chances are rare, but they happen more often than with multiple dice.

On Pools: They make sense. Why? With Combat Pools, you can either put everything into making sure your opponent goes splat, making sure you don't go splat, or a mixture of the two. And then you can use martial arts manuvers as suggested in Cannon Companion.

On Karma: It makes sense that somebody with a KP of, say, 5, is going to be able to spend one point of KP to counter a botch. Why? Karma is virtual experience, knowing things that have happened to you already, and being able to adapt. So now, whenever you're firing that little Ex EX you picked up from the Red Samurai you somehow managed to geek, you've seen what it does when you misfire (botch), so now you know how to avoid that. Suddenly, you botch, and if you don't spend that KP, you've got an explosion in your hands. Bam! Lethal, done.

Now, one thing that my GMs have done is limit KP refresh to per run. Not per scene, but per run. That means that you can't just sit there and blow all your karma when you know that you're going to get it refreshed after this, you have to save it for a "Just In Case" so you don't blow your buddy's head off in a misfire.
bwdemon
SR rules are not lethal. The setting claims that it is lethal and dark, but the rules don't bear this out. Well, correction, the setting can be very lethal to a character with 2s in all attributes, no combat skills, and no equipment (certainly, this is no shadowrunner). House rule this, house rule that, house rule several other things, and suddenly SR uses almost entirely different rules and it still has problems thanks to the d6 probability issue. As Prototype said, SR, as written, has hordes of problems making combat lethal, let alone remotely realistic. Even the "called shot" examples require house rules and a GM willing to screw over a player through multiple rounds of aiming and an unseen shooter to provide a chance at causing damage, not even lethal damage.

Someone above mentioned how untrained people were really bad in SR compared to those with training. I highly disagree. A skill of 1-2 is almost a death sentence. You're almost always better off defaulting until you get to 3+ (exception: when your default attribute is bad too). When a character with amazing physical ability (20 Quickness character mentioned above) learns a little bit about pistols, he becomes totally inept with them. If he doesn't learn a thing about them, he's actually pretty dangerous. It's a fundamental flaw with the skill-only system, magnified by the use of small numbers for stats & skills.

SR isn't the worst system out there, but it has a ton of flaws. I house rule availability, weapon damage, automatic & burst fire, legality, price codes, street indexes, and other things just in order to make the game playable. That means rewriting a large portion of the game and that doesn't speak well of the system. I still don't like the problems inherent in the d6 successes-based, skill-only, large-increment system, but I'm stuck with them because I haven't rewritten the entire game yet. For the record, I consider WoD to be the worst offender of the game systems that I know and play, though I expect that worse systems are out there.
Playing Games
QUOTE (bwdemon)
Now, onto the balance of feats. Cleave may give a single extra attack. However, it has two pre-requisites: 13 STR & prior feat (power attack). If you kill an opponent and there is another opponent adjacent to you, you may get a single attack on that adjacent opponent. Under no other circumstances may you do so and you are limited to one exercise of the feat each round. Great cleave allows for additional attacks on multiple adjacent opponents, but further requires that you have a base attack bonus of 4+ and that you have both power attack and cleave as prior feats. You still only get additional attacks so long as opponents are adjacent and killed by you in that round. The second that one survives an attack or you miss or you cannot reach them, your great cleave bonus ends. Now, is any character likely to kill anything greater than a CR1-2 mook in a single swing? No. Further, all of these feats require that you be in melee combat, which will spoil the shots of your party members against anyone adjacent to you (unless they've taken the appropriate feat). They do balance, thanks to prerequisites and game effects. Is taking a skill focus comparable to taking a feat like cleave? In a combat sense, no. In a sense where your character needs to use that skill, yes. If your game is about anything other than combat, which any game can be just as easily as any other, then it the skill focus will be equally useful.

As for spells, nothing would force SR d20 to accept the same spell mechanic as D&D. However, I will say that my D&D spellcasters know far more spells than my SR spellcasters. They just can't cast as many (usually). Again, the limits of the d6 system regarding TNs severely impact the use of drain as a game mechanic. I really like drain as a mechanic. So make it a check based on spell level, caster level, and spellcasting stat. Fail the check, take spell level in d6 damage. Critically fail the check and take the damage in wound points. Use part of the sorcerer-style spell system (no memorization) combined with this simple drain mechanic and you're good to go. This took me all of maybe a minute to come up with, so I'd guess that a decent game designer could flesh it out fully in a day or two at most.

I'll let this go for now and get back to reading the rest of the thread... smile.gif

First off,bigger dice aren't always better.Wile the D20,always can be counted in +/- 5%,a character only has 20 tests he can make.In shadowrun,you can theroetocilly do things that are "impassable".And 10d10,hell 3d6 have more gradeation than a d20.

As for people only being able to kill cr1-2 things with one hit?In D&D3.5, at level 10,you can make a character with great cleave that does 1D8+at least 30.And up 1d12+75.Oh,the more deadly you make combat,the more deadly you make great cleave.

And critical hits in d20,are joke.They just hapen,no mater how skilled you are.Level 20,or level 1,you crit the same amount of times,unless you spend one your few feats on one weapon.

as a Quote from one the best rules lawyers ever,Frank Trollman

[d]Design Intent: Feats

Having a feat should be very different from not having it. That is, characters and monsters are going to have a variety of different statistic values. Strength in particular, varies massively between different creatures. As such, the disparity between attack and melee damage between different creatures is huge. So much so that a simple +2 to-hit or damage isn't really noticeable most of the time. Therefore it is extremely undesirable for a feat to give anything simple like +2 to a roll or value. All feats should be abilities that are much more obvious than that - they are gained infrequently enough that each and every feat should be a big deal that has a significant impact on how the character is played - not just on what number you add to a d20 roll.[/d]

It took me just about as long to change Shadowrun into D10,as it took you to fix spells.
CanvasBack
QUOTE (bwdemon)

If a d10 system is better than a d6 system, a d20 system is better still. 

So, does that mean that a d100 game would be 5 times better than a d20 game?
Should we all be using a big honking die to roll everything or two "percentile" dice?
Come to think of it, the original PARANOIA game used a percentage system and I think Call of Cthulu did in one of its versions too, does that make them what every game system should aspire to be? wobble.gif
Diesel
Prototype:

I feel your campaign's lethality is so low because you are not implementing effective tactics. A ganger firing behind cover, especially if he has a bro with him to spot/cover him can be deadly, even if he has "just" a heavy pistol. Now you make a gang semi-intent on defending their turf, say with a sporting rifle on a rooftop and it just goes downhill for the players from there.

And that is just gangers.

Corporate security, with their knowledge of a compound, effective training, above-par weapons, gear, armor, communications, and intelligence can kill an entire, twinked-out even, runner team without breaking a sweat.

Play smart and your players will be filling out a lot more character sheets. Play hard and they'll just be buying a lot more gear at chargen to force you to play harder.

Combat in Shadowrun is lethal, generally to both parties involved. If you're not dead, you're screwed and will be reeeeaaal soon. Good luck!
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (bwdemon)
I house rule availability, weapon damage, automatic & burst fire, legality, price codes, street indexes, and other things just in order to make the game playable. That means rewriting a large portion of the game and that doesn't speak well of the system.

I house rule a lot of stuff. I know I'd have to house rule a lot more stuff if I wanted a modern d20 game that I'd like -- I have tried. Just to make a modern d20 game playable, I would have to house rule everything I've house ruled in my SR games (mainly the ranged combat stuff, firearms, armor, explosives, etc), and then a couple of dozen additional things. And even if I house ruled all that stuff, I still wouldn't like it as much as I like the SR d6 system, simply because I like the way probabilities work with multiple small dice better than the probabilities on one large die.

Is it possible, then, that perhaps d20 is not absolutely better than d6, and the other way around? Could it be that some people just like one system better than the other?

If the only criteria here is the "neccessity" to house rule a lot of stuff for any given GM to like it, I'm sure most RPG systems suck a lot of ass.
L.D
But that's the thing, Prototype. As the GM you set the powerlevel.

I know that within the rules for a starting character I can create what you did. It's not difficult. But saying that Raven (the guys stats I posted) isn't a sammie becuase he doesn't meet up to a munchie character just shows the difference in powerlevel.

By tailoring opponents I don't mean that I change the stats of Red Samurai. If you think that, then you're completely missing the picture. What I meant was that if I for instance wanted to give Raven something to do in a battle it made the situation very lethal for the decker (actaully most of the team except Raven). But on the other hand if I created an opponent based on the decker, then Raven would swat said opponent like a fly. And I always try to give all characters something to do in a fight, even the decker. Just to keep my pleyers from getting bored.
LoseAsDirected
QUOTE (bwdemon @ Jan 17 2004, 08:07 PM)
SR rules are not lethal.  The setting claims that it is lethal and dark, but the rules don't bear this out.  Well, correction, the setting can be very lethal to a character with 2s in all attributes, no combat skills, and no equipment (certainly, this is no shadowrunner).  House rule this, house rule that, house rule several other things, and suddenly SR uses almost entirely different rules and it still has problems thanks to the d6 probability issue.  As Prototype said, SR, as written, has hordes of problems making combat lethal, let alone remotely realistic.  Even the "called shot" examples require house rules and a GM willing to screw over a player through multiple rounds of aiming and an unseen shooter to provide a chance at causing damage, not even lethal damage.

Someone above mentioned how untrained people were really bad in SR compared to those with training.  I highly disagree.  A skill of 1-2 is almost a death sentence.  You're almost always better off defaulting until you get to 3+ (exception: when your default attribute is bad too).  When a character with amazing physical ability (20 Quickness character mentioned above) learns a little bit about pistols, he becomes totally inept with them.  If he doesn't learn a thing about them, he's actually pretty dangerous.  It's a fundamental flaw with the skill-only system, magnified by the use of small numbers for stats & skills.

SR isn't the worst system out there, but it has a ton of flaws.  I house rule availability, weapon damage, automatic & burst fire, legality, price codes, street indexes, and other things just in order to make the game playable.  That means rewriting a large portion of the game and that doesn't speak well of the system.  I still don't like the problems inherent in the d6 successes-based, skill-only, large-increment system, but I'm stuck with them because I haven't rewritten the entire game yet.  For the record, I consider WoD to be the worst offender of the game systems that I know and play, though I expect that worse systems are out there.

And where the fuck are you getting a character with a 20 quickness?

That's fucking ridiculous.. It's like saying that a level 1 Wizard is as good at combat as a level 20 Fighter, so long as the Wizard has a STR and CON of 100..

And due to the harshness of defaulting, a character is better with 2 Pistol dice than defaulting to a quickness of 6..

A regular target number of 4 becomes an 8 when defaulting to quickness.

With two dice, vs a target number of 4, you've got a 50% chance of succeeding with any single dice.. Since you've got two dice, on average, you will succeed at your standard target number.

With a target number of 8, you've got to roll a 6 (16.67% chance of occurrance with any given dice), followed by at least a 2 (66.67% chance).. So, out of your first 6 dice, on average, one will come up as a 6. Then, on the reroll, you will succed vs the target number of 2 (to make an 8 total). This means that only 16.67% of the time you will get a 6, and only 66.67% of the rest of that 16.67% of the time will you get the 8.. Which works out to about 11% of the time..

So a Pistol of 2 vs TN of 4 has a 50% chance of any given die succeeding.

Defaulting to Quickness of 6 vs TN of 8 gives you an 11% chance of any given die succeeding.

I fail to see how you're better off without the skill. Learn basic mathematics before you try to argue this kind of a point.

Oh, and 'called shots' aren't a house rule. They are listed in the BBB. It stages the damage level up one, and requires a complex action to aim (and I believe it raises the TN, but I don't offhand recall what it is exactly).
tete
Being a long time runner and gm I would have to say that shadowrun 3rd is not as deadly as second but with D20 the lethality goes down with levels unless the common weapon damage goes up (as any good DM will do) I don't care if its starwars, call of cthulu, traveller, whatever d20 game you play. To use D&D if your sixth level and your DM wont let you have a +1 sword yet, your in for a world of hurt. Shadowrun doesn't have this level based problem (or advantage depending on your point of view) so in theory joe security guard can kill the uber combat monkey troll (unlikely though). Bringing back the dodge pool from 1st edition into 3rd has really lowered the chance of death from joe average. I think 3rd as a system doesn't have to be deadly, but it should be. The main thing is as a gm remember this is a "real" world, cops don't fight to the death but they do call for backup. The more you breath life into you npcs the more you realise when a gun is pulled someone will die (pc or npc). And your not gonna be a character whos squatting and has 500,000 nuyen in cyberware (you have to sleep sometime and when you do those bums will cut you open and sell you). How far you want your realism is ulitmatly up to your group. I have personally converted shadowrun to d20 and GURPS. The d20 version even with vitality and such is a more john woo feel. The GURPS is way more gritty and realistic (way too deadly for non troll newbies). Both however have lost part of the feeling that is the system. If you ever played deadlands you'll understand how a system makes a game feel very different. For me Im sticking to 3rd. Its not perfect but it just feels good.

PS I want to know how you get a quickness of 20 as well. And Elf gets a quickness of 7 + exceptional attibute would be 8... thats alot of karma to get to 20. like well over 600 i think. of course theres cyberware but most tops out at 8 which would give us 16 but still... not to mention most cyberware doesnt stack with other cyberware or magic.
One other thing to remeber when firing a gun most people aim, a TN of 4 is an unaimed shot. Personaly I usualy aim for my first action then fire a round. Its alot easier to hit with a TN of 3.
LoseAsDirected
Well, 20 is possible, but that's about as munchkin as I can imagine..

In the time, karma, and nuyen it would take for a PC to get a Quickness of 20, you could have just as easily gotten a Pistol skill of 10, and you would still be better off. So the entire argument is pointless.
bwdemon
QUOTE (Playing Games)
First off,bigger dice aren't always better.Wile the D20,always can be counted in +/- 5%,a character only has 20 tests he can make.In shadowrun,you can theroetocilly do things that are "impassable".And 10d10,hell 3d6 have more gradeation than a d20.

For one, I don't consider it a good thing that characters should be able to do impossible things. 3d6 allow for only 16 different results (3-18), each with varying degrees of probability according to a standard bell curve. However, in a successes-based system like SR, each individual d6 is what matters, not the total result. Thus, only 6 things are normally possible. The open d6 makes a 6 TN = to a 7 TN and the game loses 16.7% of difficulty for every 6 rolled. So modifiers don't even modify the roll at times.

QUOTE (Playing Games)
As for people only being able to kill cr1-2 things with one hit?In D&D3.5, at level 10,you can make a character with great cleave that does 1D8+at least 30.And up 1d12+75.Oh,the more deadly you make combat,the more deadly you make great cleave.

Really? At level 10, I could have (in the worst possible example of a Monty Haul game) a half-orc fighter with a great sword (2d6), a 22 natural strength for +6, +3 from strength enhancement from magic items (maximum allowed), +2 from inherent bonuses granted by wishes and the like (+5 to any characteristic is the maximum allowed), +5 from power attack (-5 to hit, but this is just for max damage), +2 from weapon specialization, +2 from Bull's Strength, +1d6+5 for a +5 flaming burst weapon, and +5 for using the weapon two-handed. That's 3d6+33 for a 10th level character given every single possible bonus allowed in D&D 3.5. On a critical hit, this becomes 4d6+1d10+33. Feats include power attack, cleave, great cleave, weapon focus, weapon specialization, improved critical, sunder, improved sunder, and improved overrun. That's not even half of your "+75" claim above and it would require the worst possible Monty Haul game to pull off.

A 10th level character is pretty powerful. This character is stacked solely for combat and would be truly horrible at anything else (25 point buy system, which d20 is based upon). This one would have survived many conflicts, despite being unable to to anything but swing a great sword. He'd lose all of the benefits of his weapon (+5, flaming burst, two-handed bonus, weapon focus, weapon specialization, improved critical) in a tight area. He also requires a mage to cast Bull's Strength on him and that does not last indefinitely.

By comparison, an ambidextrous (8pt.) adept with a pair of force 3 weapon focus katanas, edged combat of 6, improved ability (edged combat) 6, and 9 combat pool is far more terrifying. A normal GM could give the weapon foci to a character and the PC could bond them with a meager 24 karma and a Monty Haul GM might give them out as party favors. Considering the average karma gains of most players this would take far less time and experience (4-5 sessions) than getting a D&D character to 10th level with any of the bonuses listed above (@40 sessions), let alone all of them. The adept would also be more effective in melee if only because he'd have equivalent defensive characteristics to match his offensive characteristics thanks to the SR melee mechanics. This also doesn't include the various spells that a friendly mage could heap on the adept or the other three magic points the adept had to spend.

QUOTE (Playing Games)
And critical hits in d20,are joke.They just hapen,no mater how skilled you are.Level 20,or level 1,you crit the same amount of times,unless you spend one your few feats on one weapon.

They do? So you don't have to roll within the weapon's critical threat range and then roll again to actually hit your opponent before you can do critical damage? Because, that's what the rules say you have to do...
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (LoseAsDirected)
With a target number of 8,  you've got to roll a 6 (16.67% chance), followed by at least a 2 (66.67% chance)..

Good points in your post, LoseAsDirected, but off a little on the math. Rolling a 2+ is an 83% chance.

QUOTE (LoseAsDirected)
'called shots' ... stages the damage level up one, and requires a complex action to aim

It's a Free Action to Call a Shot, and it does not require a complex action to Aim. Aim is optional, and is a Simple Action if the character chooses to do it.
bwdemon
A 20 Quickness is ridiculous, but it is possible under SR3. Elf + Exceptional Attribute (Quickness) + Enough Karma to get up to new racial max (12 Quickness) + Muscle Toner (+4 = 16) + Suprathyroid Gland (+1 = 17) + Move-By-Wire 3 (+3 = 20). Delta and culture as you wish. Alternately, you can get rid of MBW and the Suprathyroid Gland for a nice +4 Quickness spell lock.

I agree that it's ridiculous. But it is possible and the fact remains that this character becomes less competent by training in Pistols to anything less than 5. There should *never* be a situation in a game where a character, any character, becomes worse at doing a thing by training in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012