Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lurker's SR5 Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Epicedion
QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Jun 24 2013, 05:52 PM) *
I think a lot of people will be house ruling the Matrix Bonuses. In fact I thnk that was stated waaaay back. The big issue most have with the way they're implemented is a 100% lack of Setting basis for the mechanics as are. I don't care that they don't match the last system, because they don't match the SR3 system, but throughout its years there has been a strong consistency of Setting to Rules in Shadowrun and for three editions the information was backwards compatible for how things worked too. That's why I dislike SR4, the Wireless Matrix 2.0 that appeared almost overnight in a poor implementation (IMHO) when it could have been evolved out of what was already in place. The mechanical differences between the two Magical Traditions vanishing and being purely flavour (I dare say there were later mods to this, I don't know, but in the core...) for a single one system for all. Decking becoming a far more mundane feeling hacking and rigging being rolled into that too (not like you couldn't be a decker-rigger before, classless system) eliminating the "tech identity" to one umbrella.

I like a lot of what I am seeing for SR5 and will be getting it. I can happily tie in the setting material from my SR123 library with the decade gap to make sense for the SR5 setting material. But the lack of sensible canonical reasoning for the Boni system. Nope. Houseruled to fit the universe. All the coming up with plausible "maybes" for how it works doesn't work with the Setting Material that is presented. It's not Lazy Game design as some have said (mostly people are happy with the concept) its just poor Workd Building that's created an inconsistency with Mechanics vs Setting (or Gamey as has been said) its bad for my noggin and I've already said I'm rewriting bits of the 10year gap to make it fit with the Sixth World I love and doubles so for folks who know the SR4 "decade" material.

Precisely what I'm trying to do is unify the setting and the mechanics. Mine may not be a great idea, but I feel like I need to be able to tell my players why cyberware security now kinda sucks.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 24 2013, 10:41 PM) *
I guess one way they could address this is if we flip the logic around and think of the wireless bonus as an extreme SOTA issue.

This has been brought up years ago and doesn't really solve anything, as the setting elements where it falls apart are the same as they are now ("why the hell does my cyberheart need constant software patches?"). The push to have everything be on the Matrix is a design conceit (again, this dates back in 3rd edition) to push the decker into the party and not have the player run his own dungeons in a parallel game (which generally sucked for everyone else). Because that's extremely gamey you can't really explain the follow-on effects and keep a straight face, so people run things in 2070 like this 'because reasons.'
Normal gear you basically have to upgrade/maintain periodically to keep your damage/bonues/effects at same level.

The question immediately becomes "why?" Unless you're operating in a ubiquitous jamming and cyberwarfare ecology why do you need to stay up to date with systems that should just be passively operating and don't require pushing or pulling data on information networks? SR5 looks to finally address the carrot used to justify tactical deckers, but the mechanics pretty much necessitate a rather ham-handed way of forcing the issue or it's a return to the SR4 default of keeping everything offline (which was pretty much all stick, no carrot).
I'll wait and see if the carrots justify the large and rather devastating new sticks that were added though.

Besides, why would it matter if I'm running Smartlink V1.000001 and you're running V1.000002 - how do you explain my aim becoming crappier, why does the baseline never change if the connected bonus is just additive? Why are my wired reflexes getting worse relative to someone without wired reflexes? When the explanation for a game design decision becomes a contortion act perhaps that decision should be rethought.
Kruger
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 24 2013, 02:41 PM) *
I guess one way they could address this is if we flip the logic around and think of the wireless bonus as an extreme SOTA issue. <snip>
Just one way of thinking, not saying it covers all bases though.....
It really doesn't cover any of the bases.

It's just a broken idea, from start to finish.
Critias
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 24 2013, 05:29 PM) *
Except it's actually isn't as you can get that dice pool mod back if you bend your ass for matrix raping.

Also i love how nobody has yet managed to explain how this change to smartlink makes any sense what so ever in world(i mean smartlink straight up stopped doing what it's supposed to do by fluff unless you connect it to matrix)

Because, as with every new edition, there's been a shift. A change, an overhaul in how the universe works, a rippling reality-warp that shifts every paradigm a little bit to match the new rules. Smartlinks straight-up stopped giving a -2 TN about eight years ago, which was "what its' supposed to do by fluff," right? Same thing, here.
Kruger
You must not have updated your smartlink firmware and kept it offline because you missed the mark by about a mile on that line of thinking, lol.
Moirdryd
Obviously, as I think Hermit said(or Sendaz).... Can't find it now. The easiest fix is to swap the +Limit vs +Dice over for things like Smartlink or replace Limit with Dice if Limit is all thats provided and ditch the Matrix aspect altogether from things like Wired and Enchancers and let them run as was.

Thing is... If this Wasn't Shadowrun but some other Cyber based game, we probabley wouldn't care because it'll be all new with its own shiny new setting material. But the fix above is simple, easy to remember and may well be the one seen at tables the world over.

For all those decrying the system as bad overall. From what I've seen, no. I've seen some terrible systems out there (fully implemented RoleMaster for one) that needed extensive house ruling to work to its own setting material. This looks like it succeeds with the only needed rulings being on the Matrix Boni and Mysads (the multi attack Spellcasting jiggedy I don't think is so much house ruling as GM calling it as needs require. I like a defined but interpretable actions system, otherwise what you have us a skirmish game or dungeon crawl).
Sendaz
Side Note: Anyone else having a problem seeing some of the posts on page 4 here?

Guess I forgot to get wifi for that page or something. nyahnyah.gif
Epicedion
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 24 2013, 06:02 PM) *
Because, as with every new edition, there's been a shift. A change, an overhaul in how the universe works, a rippling reality-warp that shifts every paradigm a little bit to match the new rules. Smartlinks straight-up stopped giving a -2 TN about eight years ago, which was "what its' supposed to do by fluff," right? Same thing, here.

Actually Smartlinks, by fluff, are supposed to make it "easier to hit." The +dice mechanic replaced the -TN mechanic, but the idea was that it makes it easier to hit, and it followed that principle.

One of my bigger beefs with SR4 was that +dice mechanics, especially of stuff like the Smartlink, weren't really represented that well because comparing +2 dice was relatively insignificant compared to -2TN, so Smartlinks really weren't all that great anymore. My biggest beef with SR4 was that the internal Smartlink and the contact-lens Smartlink weren't any different from each other, but the internal version cost Essence (I would've made internal +4 and external +2).

The new Smartlink doesn't actually make it easier to hit when it's offline, it only makes it easier to hit if you're already so good at hitting that you're outperforming your gun on a regular basis, and even the online version doesn't give you a huge improvement (+2 dice again?) and presumably the difference between Internal and In-My-Glasses Smartlinks will again be nil, which leads to the following questions:

A) Why use a smartlink anyway?

B) Why get an internal model rather than an external model?

C) Can't Gunslinger Adepts do all the same stuff better anyway?
hermit
"Why play a character with cyberware?" becomes a very valid question in SR5.
Moirdryd
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 25 2013, 12:02 AM) *

I feel for you in this mess that's somewhat overinflated Critias. But that last sentence. No. A Smart Link puts a crosshairs in your field of vision letting you "see" exactly what the gun sees making you more accurate. The V2 included a range finder and both of course gave you the option of DNI command clip ejection. That's it from fluff (excepting the additional mods introduced in Man and Machine/Cannon Companion) and afaik that story remained the same into SR4. +2Limit on the system mechanics as presented doesn't help you hit a target more often (as the math has demonstrated). +any Dice does do that (in efficient as it may be compared to -2TN). The system is differant but the Fluff and the Mechanicle direction are consistent.

I appreciate that what's in the book is what's in the book and it really isn't the end if the world.
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 24 2013, 07:16 PM) *
The new Smartlink doesn't actually make it easier to hit when it's offline, it only makes it easier to hit if you're already so good at hitting that you're outperforming your gun on a regular basis, and even the online version doesn't give you a huge improvement (+2 dice again?) and presumably the difference between Internal and In-My-Glasses Smartlinks will again be nil, which leads to the following questions:

The online version is supposed to be the default, so it was designed with the idea that it would give +2 limit and +2 dice (+1 only for external).
Which, by the way, would have been good if assault rifles had an accuracy of 3-4 and heavy pistols an accuracy of 2-3, because then +2 limit actually DOES make a big difference. The issue with the limit bonuses isn't that they're bad, it's that the base values are too high for bonuses to matter.
Wired_SR_AEGIS
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2013, 12:19 AM) *

That's the kind of question that's probably worth having a thread dedicated to it.

-Wired_SR_AEGIS
Mäx
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 25 2013, 01:02 AM) *

NO. dead.gif
Both +2 dice and -2 TN make it easier to hit(what smartlink is supposed to do by fluff) +2 to limit does not.
The mechanical difference how that base function is handled in SR3vs4 doesn't matter.

Seriously why the frak is this so hard to understand?
hermit
QUOTE (Wired_SR_AEGIS @ Jun 25 2013, 01:39 AM) *
That's the kind of question that's probably worth having a thread dedicated to it.

Very well, there the thread is.
Critias
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 24 2013, 06:40 PM) *
Seriously why the frak is this so hard to understand?

As I recently had to tell another Dumpshocker, it's not that people who disagree with you don't understand, they simply disagree. I get what you're saying, I just don't think what you're saying is correct, or as big a deal as you're making it out to be. I'm trying to remind people that, basically, some shit changes when a new edition hits. There's always this kind of thing that crops up, and sometimes that paradigm shift is bigger, sometimes it's smaller, but it's always there. I'm sorry if you don't like it or agree with it -- as I've tried to make clear time and again, I don't necessarily agree with it -- but the fact is, gear changes, mechanics change, and gear mechanics change. New editions change stuff, or they wouldn't be called new editions.
cndblank
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 06:19 PM) *

WOW that is Soooo cyberpunk!

It makes perfect sense to play a cyberpunk game with no cyberware.

Because I don't need an edge.
I mean it is not like there is magic out there where someone can roast you by just looking at you, or summon a spirit to ruin your day, or can run on walls or break the laws of physics.

No reason what so ever.

I tell you the more powerful the magic gets, the more everyone else is going to be using cyberware just to stay in the game.

And they are going to set it up so that it can't be nerfed by a hacker.
Especially when most cyber ware was first developed for the military.
Daedelus
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 03:19 PM) *

The same question was valid in S4 too. Mage or Technomancer were the only two really valid power choices.
hermit
Skinlink solved that problem in SR4, for the most part.
cndblank
So the corps are taking serious measures to control hacking on the Matrix but for some reason have they have set up ALL electronic devices including cyberware to be so matrix dependent that they have to be online to be fully effective and exposed to hacking.

Sounds like they locked the doors but left the windows wide open.
Which makes sense how?

I mean you have corporations today that won't let you bring a non company provided device on site.

"Matrix
The Matrix of the Sixth World is a continually evolving
beast. After Crash 2.0 hit in 2064, the Matrix went
wireless, and in the initial flush of excitement and access,
the Matrix became more free and open than it had
been in years. The corporations have reacted, though,
and thanks to individuals rallying the populace on their
behalf, the corporations have taken a degree of power
over the Matrix that has not been seen for decades.
Control of the Matrix may have changed, but some
of the basics have not. It’s still vast, it’s still used by almost
everyone in the world, and it’s still home to vast
amounts of paydata (buried in vast swathes of nonsense
and trideo footage of cats). One reason for the changes,
though, was that the corporations had tired of hackers
half a world away breaking into their systems. By placing
tighter control over the Matrix, they can make it harder
for long-distance hackers to do any damage. Additionally,
executives have learned to store some of their private
data in wired nodes, meaning that runners have to track
down those specific pieces of machinery if they want a
portion of that reward."
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 06:52 PM) *

Signal rating 0 was good enough, no need for magical skinlinks.
Irion
Honestly I do love the fact you are bashing the new rules taking smartlink as an example. The SR technology which should be inferior to using iron sights to begin with.
It is (since like ever) one of those technologies which can't work under no circumstances, if physical laws apply.

And you are bitching about something which should not work to need matrix access get the full functionality...

Honestly if you start looking at a lot of the cyberware, most should not work at any rate or should work differently.

The idea with the matrix connection is at least plausible in about 50% of the cases I guess. I mean if you go into most of the SR technology, it would not work.
AR-Cloth are a big No,No outside of very, very sofisticated sensor arrays with general access. (Or your cloth would probably be portraied two feeds next to you.

Somehow it works and somehow you can't use this kind of precision for anything else, like rockets...
So since I have no freaking idea what the matrix actually is, yeah beeing connected to it makes stuff operate more efficiently. Thats really a big streatch after those TMs.. No, not really.
Maybe the matrix has somekind of mind of its own, which enhances the technology connected to it. It does not really matter. It is not more or less of silly then a lot of the SR gear...

Honestly I am under the impression that this is just the lightning rod at which the fear and anger about mages beeing to strong and sams beeing to weak is taking form.

And to those leaving the window open: Whats the big deal. Your stuff works better (for whatever reason does not matter) but somebody could hack it, which would get him NO BENEFIT.
Anyhow: I am ok with savly shutting down, but exploding cyberware is just poor craftsmenship.
hermit
Additionally, executives have learned to store some of their private data in wired nodes, meaning that runners have to track down those specific pieces of machinery if they want a portion of that reward."

I wonder if they get mali there, too, like maximum file size all of a sudden, or the data disintegrating due to not being wirelessly updated after a few weeks?

Not if you took the mesh network idea seriously.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Irion @ Jun 24 2013, 11:55 PM) *
Honestly I do love the fact you are bashing the new rules taking smartlink as an example. The SR technology which should be inferior to using iron sights to begin with.
It is (since like ever) one of those technologies which can't work under no circumstances, if physical laws apply.

Huh? It's a nearly retrotech piece of technology now, with the capabilities of modern sights with embedded targeting computers. The only handwavy part is how it syncs the targeting reticule on your field of vision.
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 07:57 PM) *
I'm not sure what you mean - how can a hacker hack an ivory-tower-mode signal 0 PAN?
cndblank
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 06:52 PM) *

And hopefully it will do the same for SR5.

I can see a lot of devices that have to be connected wirelessly to be fully effective.

But I can also see a lot that don't, especially if they are already using a DNI.

And I would expect some would be designed to not be able to be connected wirelessly for security reasons (at least unless the wireless connection was specifically turned when needed for maintenance or to check for an update).
hermit
I'm not sure what you mean - how can a hacker hack an ivory-tower-mode signal 0 PAN?

By routing his signal through the flower pot, color-change wallpaper or gang RFID in a meter radius round your character. Makes hacking a mobile target harder, but everyone has to stop moving eventually.
Irion
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 25 2013, 12:00 AM) *
Huh? It's a nearly retrotech piece of technology now, with the capabilities of modern sights with embedded targeting computers. The only handwavy part is how it syncs the targeting reticule on your field of vision.

Thats nice to say the only. It is also the only function this thing has....And really we are talking hard physics there. The whole matrix is some esoteric concept to begin with. So it now improves gear connected to it. Well, considering the matrix rules, thats not espacially silly....
Mäx
QUOTE (Irion @ Jun 25 2013, 01:55 AM) *

What the frak are you trying to say.
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 08:03 PM) *
By routing his signal through the flower pot, color-change wallpaper or gang RFID in a meter radius round your character. Makes hacking a mobile target harder, but everyone has to stop moving eventually.

You need to know that the fact that the character is withing a meter of this or that meshed device, which is itself quite difficult if you don't have a visual and the character isn't on the matrix.
hermit
You need to know that the fact that the character is withing a meter of this or that meshed device, which is itself quite difficult if you don't have a visual and the character isn't on the matrix.

Getting a visual in sR4 is pretty much a no-brainer, the core book says so itself. Sure, it is harder than hacking someone who has 300 live feeds going and a firewall of 1, but if you want to eliminate the threat of yourself being hacked, skinlink, not signal 0, is the way to go.

And hopefully it will do the same for SR5.

What makes you think there even will be SkinLink in SR5?
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Irion @ Jun 25 2013, 12:04 AM) *
Thats nice to say the only. It is also the only function this thing has....And really we are talking hard physics there.

? I'm a bit hard pressed to take the bolded seriously. Smartlinks seems like a pretty straightforward system to explain, if there was any need to. Optical pattern matching is a thing even if you couldn't track the position of the gun relative to the users eyes.

The Matrix is a thinly disguised astral realm, yes. That's been the case since .... William Gibson actually.
cndblank
The other think to remember about wireless connections is what happens as soon as the guns come out?

At least with my players, the jammers get turned on to max.

All of a sudden all the wireless connects go on the fritz!

And it pretty much puts the decker right back to where he was in edition 1.

The geeky guy who is a lousy shot and carries a deck.
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 08:08 PM) *
but if you want to eliminate the threat of yourself being hacked, skinlink, not signal 0, is the way to go.

I know, I just hate skinlink on the account of being applied phlebotinum, so I prefer to houserule it into oblivion.
In SR4, there isn't a lot of gear that needs wireless to function anyway - smartlinks can use induction pads. As for the rest, hacking an ivory-towered signal 0 PAN is a somewhat more challenging in a combat situation. If SR5 allowed you to set your wireless in low signal ivory-tower mode, I would be a lot more satisfied than with the current situation.
hermit
smartlinks can use induction pads.

Which, incidentally, are what skinlink is.
cndblank
You know the weird thing about smart links in SR5 is they have them ass back wards.

They should add +2 dice if no wireless and and +2 to the limit if there is wireless.

By the fluff, they make it easier for anyone to hit a target.
Point at the target and when the dot lines up mentally give the fire command.

All the range finding and other stuff that comes from a wireless smart link would allow a pro to be more precise/accurate.
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 08:17 PM) *

Maybe I'm mistaken - I had the feeling induction pad was a real piece of hardware (cyberware, even) that acted as a receiver for Smartlink data and then transmited it via wire to the cybereye/headware.
Regardless, skinlink's "surface skin electric field" goes a bit too much into bullshit territory for my taste.
kzt
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 24 2013, 02:54 PM) *
That starts to really stretch credulity given the timeframe that hacking attempts are made in Shadowrun, and the ease by which they can be conducted. A single hacker can just sit in a public area and grief a person every few seconds by bricking or disrupting their electronics and cyberware. The game obviously doesn't get into the full logical consequences of its mechanics, and everything is written under the assumption you are facing opponents at some level of cyberwarfare parity, but it should be kept in mind when writing the background details and shadow-comments for what is rather obvious inference from the rules.

All the people who actually understood the idea of second order effects were either fired or quit working for CGL.
DWC
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jun 24 2013, 07:12 PM) *
The other think to remember about wireless connections is what happens as soon as the guns come out?

At least with my players, the jammers get turned on to max.

All of a sudden all the wireless connects go on the fritz!

And it pretty much puts the decker right back to where he was in edition 1.

The geeky guy who is a lousy shot and carries a deck.

Glad I'm not the only one who's a big fan of the rail-mounted directional jammer. That might have to become an area jammer going forward, though.
DWC
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 24 2013, 07:17 PM) *

No, it's not. An induction pad only communicates with another induction pad. A skinlink allows an external device to communicate with the user's brain via DNI using the body's electromagnetic field. Induction pads require one in your hand and one in the grip of your firearm. In the case of the skinlink, the second pad is your body.
binarywraith
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jun 24 2013, 05:47 PM) *
WOW that is Soooo cyberpunk!

It makes perfect sense to play a cyberpunk game with no cyberware.

Because I don't need an edge.
I mean it is not like there is magic out there where someone can roast you by just looking at you, or summon a spirit to ruin your day, or can run on walls or break the laws of physics.

No reason what so ever.

I tell you the more powerful the magic gets, the more everyone else is going to be using cyberware just to stay in the game.

And they are going to set it up so that it can't be nerfed by a hacker.
Especially when most cyber ware was first developed for the military.

Yeah, except the part where cyberware isn't really keeping up with magic power wise, and has crippling and exploitable flaws that leave your half-million nuyen 'edge' at the mercy of every skript-kiddie wannabe console cowboy in the Barrens.

I, for one, welcome our new Mystic Adept overlords.
Novocrane
QUOTE (DWC @ Jun 25 2013, 11:12 AM) *
No, it's not. An induction pad only communicates with another induction pad. A skinlink allows an external device to communicate with the user's brain via DNI using the body's electromagnetic field. Induction pads require one in your hand and one in the grip of your firearm. In the case of the skinlink, the second pad is your body.

More like a cyber safety gun mod & cyberware / smartlink cyberware combo, really.

No, not really.

When a wireless device needs to pass information to another device in mutual Signal range, it simply sends the data. If the destination is not within this range, for example when you are in the UCAS and trying to speak to Mr. Johnson in Lisbon, the information travels from device to device in a process called routing.

When information is routed between devices, it is non-sequentially sliced into a number of pieces and sent to the recipient via multiple paths; this makes it almost impossible to intercept the traffic except within Signal range of the sender or the receiver, the only places the information is in one readable piece (Capture Wireless Signal, p. 229).

The routing functions of a device are handled by a separate component of hardware than the other functions of the device. This makes the routing process invisible to the user, and allows the device’s node to connect to the Matrix even when it is operating in Hidden mode (p. 223).

In summary, sending info to a hidden node is a matter of throwing the information out in random packets, and then letting mesh electronics do the rest.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jun 25 2013, 07:54 AM) *

Signal rating 0 was still pretty vulnerable: 3m range. How often is your character within 3m of SOMETHING that is wirelessly enabled? Unless they go into a deadzone, nearly all the time.

QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2013, 07:57 AM) *

Exactly

QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jun 25 2013, 08:06 AM) *

3 meters. ~10 feet. Almost always going to be within this distance of something that is a meshed device, since pretty much everything is a meshed device in the SR world.
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (Novocrane @ Jun 24 2013, 09:49 PM) *
In summary, sending info to a hidden node is a matter of throwing the information out in random packets, and then letting mesh electronics do the rest.
Ivory Tower isn't hidden, it's not connected to the matrix. You're not using the flower pot as a matrix relay, you're using it as a universal radio emitter. But since your target isn't on the matrix at all, you have to know where it is physically or you don't know what to use as a radio-emitter.
3 meters. ~10 feet. Almost always going to be within this distance of something that is a meshed device, since pretty much everything is a meshed device in the SR world.
Yes, but how do you know which one to use as your relay if you don't know where the target is because he isn't connected to the matrix at all?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (DWC @ Jun 24 2013, 08:12 PM) *

Pretty much.

Skinlink is based off some real world experimentation to modulate the body's own electromagnetic field to deliver data. So you could have one data source in your left hand and a receiver in your right hand could communicate with it. It has some real plausibility but of course current progress it just beginning to tap the potential.

Induction pads generate their own modulated electromagnetic field to communicate across a small air gap with another induction pad. This is well known tech.

QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jun 24 2013, 08:57 PM) *
Ivory Tower isn't hidden, it's not connected to the matrix. You're not using the flower pot as a matrix relay, you're using it as a universal radio emitter. But since your target isn't on the matrix at all, you have to know where it is physically or you don't know what to use as a radio-emitter.
Yes, but how do you know which one to use as your relay if you don't know where the target is because he isn't connected to the matrix at all?

You don't have to know. Mesh networking means you throw the signal out into the Matrix and if the target is connected in some way it automatically gets there.

In short, if a zero-signal matrix device is within 3 meters of ANY other Matrix node, like a wireless-enabled flowerpot, it's on the matrix. Period.

-k
Novocrane
QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jun 25 2013, 11:57 AM) *

Then perhaps you should stop using personalised descriptions and stick to the conventions given in SR4 for the purposes of discussion. That would be active, passive, hidden and offline.
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (Novocrane @ Jun 24 2013, 10:30 PM) *
Then perhaps you should stop using personalised descriptions and stick to the conventions given in SR4 for the purposes of discussion. That would be active, passive, hidden and offline.

So it's impossible to use another wireless communication protocol between your devices and just block/ignore anything coming from the matrix? Everything wireless has to use stuff that the matrix can interpret?
binarywraith
QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jun 24 2013, 08:50 PM) *
So it's impossible to use another wireless communication protocol between your devices and just block/ignore anything coming from the matrix? Everything wireless has to use stuff that the matrix can interpret?

Yup. Technology A is Technology A.

SR's never gotten down to the idea of software incompatibility. nyahnyah.gif
DWC
QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jun 24 2013, 10:50 PM) *

Yep. The entire idea that criminals are functioning outside of the mechanisms of The Man, having skillfully subverted his own tech for their devious purposes is dead.
Werewindlefr
Then I admit I had a very wrong picture of how things were working. In my mind, a wireless device could work without ever communicating with the matrix and form a PAN with its own wireless protocol, unintelligible from a matrix standpoint. Which I think should seem like a relatively sound way of being much more secure against hacking.
DWC
QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jun 24 2013, 10:57 PM) *
Then I admit I had a very wrong picture of how things were working. In my mind, a wireless device could work without ever communicating with the matrix and form a PAN with its own wireless protocol, unintelligible from a matrix standpoint. Which I think should seem like a relatively sound way of being much more secure against hacking.

It would be a secure way against hacking. That's why it's not allowed. The game seems to have embraced the idea that if you find something that would completely stop something from being able to effect you, it is handwaved into not being effective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012