Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking Cyberware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
RHat
QUOTE (Lurker37 @ Jul 4 2013, 07:12 PM) *
So, what does the Face do again?

Leadership, which from what I hear has had its combat functions made much more clear - and from what I've seen, they kind of rock.
RHat
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 4 2013, 05:05 PM) *
Let me back up a bit, because I was a bit confused/emotional posting in the heat of the moment above and as NATH pointed out some shit I said was FACTUALLY INACCURATE. I don't think it's fair or called for to say, unilaterally, that I don't understand the Matrix rules, but the Matrix be confusing, and I think anyone can potentially get confused. Still, not my proudest moment!

"These benefits only apply when the item's wireless mode is on. Your Ares Alpha can't adjust for the wind direction and speed if it can't download the up-to-the-second weather conditions, and your Eurocar Westwind 3000 doesn't know the status of the next three traffic lights if it's not connected to GridGuide. A wireless device is always vulnerable to subversion and control by a hacker within wireless handshake range. You can defend your gear with a good commlink and a personal area network. Even better, defending against threats from the Matrix is part of your team hacker's job. If she's not available, you might occasionally want to turn wireless off."

I wrote this text, I recognize my examples there for the Ares Alpha. So clearly *at some point* I knew that Wireless bonuses required Matrix functionality. In hindsight, it appears they DO require Matrix functionality according to the 5E RAW. In other words...

"My understanding of SR5 was that Wireless bonuses did not require MATRIX Connectivity, only PAN connectivity. I could be wrong, but when I wrote MOST (not all) of the Wireless bonuses and made MOST but not all of the comments I have made about them, it was this understanding I had in mind. So in the pejoratively stupid "Extendable Baton" example, there is no wireless signal ping-ponging through some Matrix cloud protocol. Your thought directly transmits a wireless signal to the baton, done deal."

I was completely fucking wrong here. My bad!

That said, I think that MOST items SHOULD still receive wireless bonuses with PAN, not Matrix, connectivity. What's important to me is that wireless bonuses encourage device hackability, not that they require MATRIX connectivity perse. But of course, and I've said this before...my ideal version of Shadowrun is not what SR5 is. SR5 is a collaborative effort between many, many, many cooks. So yes, it seems that in RAW, ALL Wireless Bonuses DO require Matrix connectivity. Which is...an idea I was once cognizant of, clearly, but not one I am currently defending.

I want everything to be hackable, I don't necessarily want everything to be hackable over the Matrix from your cozy apartment with complete impunity and freedom from reprisal. Ideally, I want wireless hacking to have approximately the same range of engagement of a sniper rifle, unless something is (with good reason) connected to the Matrix, and which point it becomes more comparable to astral travel. Again, what I want has no bearing on what actually IS in SR5 because I am not its sole/chief author.

Hm. Now, that makes me wonder why Smartguns and Vision Enhancement are supposed to work better with PAN access? I get how it would work with Matrix access, but I'd be curious to know your explanation for the function through PAN access.

And for what it's worth, I think much of what lead to people's response to the bonuses is the fact that so many of them re-enable old functionality, instead of adding something that is new to the player.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 4 2013, 03:56 PM) *
My understanding of SR5 was that Wireless bonuses did not require MATRIX Connectivity, only PAN connectivity. I could be wrong, but when I wrote MOST (not all) of the Wireless bonuses and made MOST but not all of the comments I have made about them, it was this understanding I had in mind. So in the pejoratively stupid "Extendable Baton" example, there is no wireless signal ping-ponging through some Matrix cloud protocol. Your thought directly transmits a wireless signal to the baton, done deal.

So your whole 'fuck you if you don't like wireless bonuses' screed is based on a faulty understanding of the rules as written at base?

Wow. Just wow. High quality writing, there.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 5 2013, 12:28 AM) *
Hm. Now, that makes me wonder why Smartguns and Vision Enhancement are supposed to work better with PAN access? I get how it would work with Matrix access, but I'd be curious to know your explanation for the function through PAN access.

And for what it's worth, I think much of what lead to people's response to the bonuses is the fact that so many of them re-enable old functionality, instead of adding something that is new to the player.

No, RHat, most of the problems were the data trail that was left behind when the Shadowrunners did their "foul deeds".
RHat
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 4 2013, 11:36 PM) *
So your whole 'fuck you if you don't like wireless bonuses' screed is based on a faulty understanding of the rules as written at base?

Wow. Just wow. High quality writing, there.

Dude, you have seen how many other posts in which one of the freelancers hasn't been completely sure which version of a rule was landed on, yes? The fact, in and of itself, that he seems to have gotten things crossed between final rules and working versions is hardly surprising and not really indicative of quality - whenever a project goes through enough iterations (and it is a DAMN GOOD THING that they went through so many - rapid iteration is an extremely useful development tool) it is inevitable that people will get things mixed around; human memory's like that.
RHat
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 4 2013, 11:45 PM) *
No, RHat, most of the problems were the data trail that was left behind when the Shadowrunners did their "foul deeds".

For you, perhaps, but not in general - that's a much smaller subset, and one with far less grounding because it makes a large number of assumptions that could easily be false - and in some cases directly contrary to points established in SR4.
Wired_SR_AEGIS
QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 5 2013, 02:29 AM) *
Except that the in-game effects that you're trying to rationalize were generated by someone who has explicitly stated that he did not actually understand how the game mechanic he was writing about worked.

Hahaha. I don't have to rationalize anything. smile.gif I can say that the answer depends on implementation 'til I'm blue in the face, and when I run out of oxygen, Alan Turing will rise up out of his grave and continue to say it for me.

QUOTE (DWC @ Jul 5 2013, 02:29 AM) *
And this engineer wonders what sort of Olympian, why one guy is in a chair, and fifteen different questions about the metrics of the race.

Bingo. Now we're talking. And that's really the crux of this whole issue. What are the rules of the race? What sort of a participant do they favor?

In the context of Shadowrun, with systems whose requirements of operation and implementation are unknown, it is ludicrous to make a sweeping statement about how it must operate. Unless, like, there's someone in here with a PhD in theoretical distributed computing. And they've got a whitepaper they'd like to drop onto dumpshock.

But from the sounds of it, there isn't. (It sounds like there's a few IT guys in the mix, though. nyahnyah.gif)

So, like, may a non-distributed solution be a more efficient architecture for a given problem? Sure. Must it be? Absolutely not. And there are a number of excellent reasons why it wouldn't be sprinkled throughout the last two weeks of threads.

So... I mean, at the end of the day I get that a lot of you can configure your home router, and you probably prefer directly wired connectivity over surfing the net on Wi-Fi. So I can understand why a number of the assertions that have been made feel intuitive. Just understand that you're operating on assumptions built on a framework that may be constructed in fundamentally different ways inside the universe of SR5 -- So to carry over those assumptions without first challenging them is a product of ignorance, not insight.

-Wired_SR_AEGIS
RHat
QUOTE (Wired_SR_AEGIS @ Jul 5 2013, 12:08 AM) *
Hahaha. I don't have to rationalize anything. smile.gif I can say that the answer depends on implementation 'til I'm blue in the face, and when I run out of oxygen, Alan Turing will rise up out of his grave and continue to say it for me.

Pretty sure Turing would have a few other things to say if he popped out of his grave. nyahnyah.gif
Wired_SR_AEGIS
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 5 2013, 06:11 AM) *
Pretty sure Turing would have a few other things to say if he popped out of his grave. nyahnyah.gif

Choice remarks about finally getting those damn ruskies once they started reusing their one time pads, no doubt.

-Wired_SR_AEGIS
Sendaz
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 5 2013, 02:11 AM) *

umm... if ZombieTuring came out of the grave wouldn't he be going 'AAAIIIIII, AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIII' ? wink.gif

nezumi
Neurosis, thank you for being straight with us.

Do you know if this is how the editors and managers envisioned the system working as well? Is there any possibility for an errata?
Sengir
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 4 2013, 08:22 PM) *
Because in addition to raw power, there's many other issues such as how many threads you can throw around

Even in a perfectly parallelizable case, replacing a device with performance P with two devices with performance (P/2) yields exactly the same result. So "more threads" doesn't come close to getting a cigar.

The whole "can't hack me because signal range is only 3m" thing only works if there's nothing wireless inside that radius, which will almost never happen.

Why do you think my little commlink collection would be wireless? wink.gif

QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 4 2013, 09:49 PM) *
I feel pretty bad that they're so spectacularly hated/reviled.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37734424.jpg

PS: But don't take it too personal. You had to shill an idea which was tried before and universally shot down, that was a forlon hope job to start with...
binarywraith
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 5 2013, 06:13 AM) *
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37734424.jpg

PS: But don't take it too personal. You had to shill an idea which was tried before and universally shot down, that was a forlon hope job to start with...

Well, no. To be blunt, he didn't have to shill for it, just write for it.

Coming here to shill for if might have been a poor plan. nyahnyah.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 4 2013, 11:49 PM) *
Wireless Bonuses were not my idea, but I was the guy who was told to seed the gear chapter with them. So I did so. I feel pretty bad that they're so spectacularly hated/reviled.

Well maybe you should have spend more thought at making them atleast somewhat logical.
And not "manually folding out/in your guns bipod can be done faster if you connect it to the matrix."
DWC
I'm curious whether we will see an errata of this, since the item specific bonuses were generated based on something other than the final iteration of the rules. There's no harm in the company updating them to address this failure of the editorial process.

It's kind of hilarious that what has turned out to be the thing people object to most was the product of a mistake. If Hardy had sent the chapter back to be revised based on the final mechanics for attaining Matrix bonuses, the vocal minority wouldn't be screaming about it. A peek behind the curtain of "we were going to do this, but it didn't make sense within the context of the game universe so we decided not to" would have even won some brownie points along the way.

Between the annoyed potential customers and having the author who made the screwup openly trolling the annoying potential customers, it seems like the inaction has done more harm than good.
UmaroVI
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 4 2013, 07:05 PM) *
"My understanding of SR5 was that Wireless bonuses did not require MATRIX Connectivity, only PAN connectivity. I could be wrong, but when I wrote MOST (not all) of the Wireless bonuses and made MOST but not all of the comments I have made about them, it was this understanding I had in mind. So in the pejoratively stupid "Extendable Baton" example, there is no wireless signal ping-ponging through some Matrix cloud protocol. Your thought directly transmits a wireless signal to the baton, done deal."

I was completely fucking wrong here. My bad!

That said, I think that MOST items SHOULD still receive wireless bonuses with PAN, not Matrix, connectivity. What's important to me is that wireless bonuses encourage device hackability, not that they require MATRIX connectivity perse. But of course, and I've said this before...my ideal version of Shadowrun is not what SR5 is. SR5 is a collaborative effort between many, many, many cooks. So yes, it seems that in RAW, ALL Wireless Bonuses DO require Matrix connectivity. Which is...an idea I was once cognizant of, clearly, but not one I am currently defending.

I want everything to be hackable, I don't necessarily want everything to be hackable over the Matrix from your cozy apartment with complete impunity and freedom from reprisal. Ideally, I want wireless hacking to have approximately the same range of engagement of a sniper rifle, unless something is (with good reason) connected to the Matrix, and which point it becomes more comparable to astral travel. Again, what I want has no bearing on what actually IS in SR5 because I am not its sole/chief author.

Is there any chance of issuing an errata changing some of the "Matrix bonuses" to "Wireless bonuses" that only require PAN access? Or at least an "unofficial errata" as Patrick has done, listing which items should only require PAN connectivity for those of us who would like to houserule it to be in line with RAI?

There are some people who hate the whole idea of Matrix Bonuses, but I think a fair number of people would be happy with it if just this issue were fixed.
hermit
More sensible Matrix boni would be all that is needed to fix this, but that looks stongly like houserule territorry.
Ricochet
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 4 2013, 05:17 PM) *
False: Logic 5 and Cerebral Booster level 2 gives you logic 7... and (based on SR4) available at character gen.

Cerebral Booster is confirmed in, although it did double in cost (approx.) Getting that Cerebral Booster may require a significant deck downgrade, so you need to make more choices here.

(Personally my formerly paralyzed decker is going in with a 49,500 deck for missions, so I'm ready to take a big beating.)
binarywraith
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 5 2013, 09:21 AM) *
More sensible Matrix boni would be all that is needed to fix this, but that looks stongly like houserule territorry.

Yeah, bonuses that are actually bonuses, and make some sort of logical sense as things that would be aided by outside connection would have kept this whole thing from blowing up.
hermit
Cerebral Booster is confirmed in, although it did double in cost (approx.) Getting that Cerebral Booster may require a significant deck downgrade, so you need to make more choices here.

(Personally my formerly paralyzed decker is going in with a 49,500 deck for missions, so I'm ready to take a big beating.)

The Quickstart rules decker has a cerebral booster and a Shiawase Cyber-5, which should be a mid-range deck. That's what I went with.
Sengir
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 5 2013, 01:24 PM) *

That is what I meant by shilling it. Neo hacking is a stupid idea which the playerbase overwhelmingly voted against with their feet, Neurosis wanted to come up with a fluff reasoning for why it should work despite being illogical and stupid -- in other words, sell players on the idea that their characters would run around with easily hackable 'ware.
Yep, it t failed abjectly, but I doubt the best fluff author of all times could do much better.

Although a Conflict-of-Interest Statement would have been in order for the OP...
Neurosis
Except that the in-game effects that you're trying to rationalize were generated by someone who has explicitly stated that he did not actually understand how the game mechanic he was writing about worked.

False. To reiterate, momentary lapse in understanding was after-the-fact. When I was writing about it, I did in fact understand it. But several months have transpired in the interrim.

I'm curious whether we will see an errata of this, since the item specific bonuses were generated based on something other than the final iteration of the rules. There's no harm in the company updating them to address this failure of the editorial process.

Once more, no.

While writing the wireless bonuses, I understood they required Matrix Connectivity.

While discussing them here, I boneheadedly forgot that.

But (fortunately, unfortunately, for good or ill, come what may) Matrix Connectivity was the original intention of the rules.

Incorrect, bucko. To reiterate:

My error was in my post-hoc, hindsight statement that "wireless bonuses" worked just fine with PAN Connectivity. When the wireless bonuses were actually written (by me), I clearly knew that they were designed to work with Matrix Connectivity (I can tell from the rules text). That was in February, though, and in the intervening time I momentarily forgot. To err is human. I am exceptionally human these days.

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jul 5 2013, 08:24 AM) *

Coming here to shill for if might have been a poor plan. nyahnyah.gif

Not shilling for anything, dude. I don't care about wireless bonuses being a thing one way or another-- I'm not sure they make sense in universe, and while I appreciate what they're trying to do as a game mechanic, I'm not sure they were the best implementation of that idea.

What I DO like is the idea of combat hackers that are able to hack stuff, in combat. Including cyberware. But that's not really IN SR5 to the degree that you might think it is, so it's not possible to shill for it. Only to support the idea of it. Which I do.

QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 5 2013, 06:57 AM) *
Neurosis, thank you for being straight with us.

Do you know if this is how the editors and managers envisioned the system working as well? Is there any possibility for an errata?

I am pretty sure that my NDA prevents me from speaking to that question nezumi, sorry.

Suffice to say there were numerous disagreements both within the rules committee and between the rules committee and the rest of the freelancers on the project, a project which spanned years in development.

Is there any chance of issuing an errata changing some of the "Matrix bonuses" to "Wireless bonuses" that only require PAN access? Or at least an "unofficial errata" as Patrick has done, listing which items should only require PAN connectivity for those of us who would like to houserule it to be in line with RAI?

Probably not, UmaroVI, sorry. You can houserule it whatever way you want but just because I'm a screw up and said the wrong thing on an internet forum doesn't mean the Powers That Be are likely to change the rules. : /
cndblank
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 2 2013, 09:37 AM) *
The best part about good old Shadowtech was that it was written by someone who actually knew their shit.

Very true!
Sengir
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 5 2013, 08:05 PM) *
False. To reiterate, momentary lapse in understanding was after-the-fact. When I was writing about it, I did in fact understand it. But several months have transpired in the interrim.

What is the matrix reasoning for the "pejoratively stupid" baton, then? wink.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 5 2013, 02:05 PM) *
Once more, no.

While writing the wireless bonuses, I understood they required Matrix Connectivity.

While discussing them here, I boneheadedly forgot that.

But (fortunately, unfortunately, for good or ill, come what may) Matrix Connectivity was the original intention of the rules.

Probably not, UmaroVI, sorry. You can houserule it whatever way you want but just because I'm a screw up and said the wrong thing on an internet forum doesn't mean the Powers That Be are likely to change the rules. : /

And that exact reason is why I will not be buying a ticket onto the SR5 boat.

Had it been the other way around I would be sailing standby.
Shadow Knight
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 5 2013, 12:05 PM) *

Sure there is. We raise hell and flood their mailboxes with how much we DO NOT LIKE THEM. and they will change.
Glyph
I get the impression that they consider Dumpshock to be a small, discontented vocal minority. On the other hand, the hue and cry over the changes to direct combat spells in SR4A did result in it being changed to an optional rule. I hope they do fix it. There are many changes I dislike in the new edition, but the implementation of wireless "bonuses" is really the only deal-breaker for me.
RHat
QUOTE (Shadow Knight @ Jul 6 2013, 02:33 AM) *
Sure there is. We raise hell and flood their mailboxes with how much we DO NOT LIKE THEM. and they will change.

You rather overestimate the importance of forums like this. They're hilariously non-representative. It's one thing to take feedback from places like this and give it due consideration, but you do NOT look to forums like these for an accurate idea of how the playerbase at large feels.
Temperance
QUOTE (Wired_SR_AEGIS @ Jul 4 2013, 10:08 PM) *
I can say that the answer depends on implementation...

This is (un)fortunately true.

Due to some NDAs, I can't give details. But suffice it to say that I work in IT for a company that provides dedicated server hosting. For those unfamiliar with the concept, your company rents servers or server space to host their data, website, etc and my company provides it tailored to your company's needs. (Why yes, this is a security vulnerability. And yes, we take pains to eliminate as many as possibly feasible.) All the hardware/overhead/power/infrastructure is local to us, and remote to the company. In many ways it's IT outsourcing, but on the physical level.

When we assembled our infrastructure, we went to the manufacturers of our equipment and proposed our network design. We spoke to their engineers who design network infrastructure support. They laughed and said the equipment doesn't work that way. It physically *can't* provide the logical support we required. They literally said it was impossible. We made it happen anyway.

I relate that to say this: I have no problems conceptually with any of the ideas presented. Yes, even the bonuses. (I admit some of the wireless bonuses do baffle me, but I'm willing to handwave that on the same premise of accepting the ones I do understand.) On too many occasions, including one that has provided my paycheck for almost 6 years, people have said "That's impossible, it doesn't and can't work that way", and yet it does.

Now, please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying my understanding is greater than the understanding of anyone else. (Or I know more than you [specifically or generally].) What I am saying is, advances in technology may give us ways to do things we haven't imagined because our current understanding of science and technology says such a thing impossible.

Though, I'm reminded of something I read once: In fiction, things must be realistic* to the reader. Reality, however, has no such limitation.

* As always, the mileage can vary depending on the reader.

-Temperance
Draco18s
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 6 2013, 07:31 AM) *
Though, I'm reminded of something I read once: In fiction, things must be realistic* to the reader. Reality, however, has no such limitation.

* As always, the mileage can vary depending on the reader.

As I mentioned in an (adult) writing panel last night, suspension of disbelief is a fickle thing.
There's one book I started reading not too long ago that I simply can't read any more because the main character--a dragon--flew through a narrow canyon and clipped his shoulder on a rock.

It's not impossible, but it puts too much work on me, the reader, in order to justify how that is possible.

Wireless bonuses like ex-ex reporting back the health of the target or extendable batons extending faster falls into the same category:
Is it possible it could work like this? Yes, sure, but it is too unrealistic to maintain the suspension of disbelief.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 6 2013, 04:42 AM) *
I get the impression that they consider Dumpshock to be a small, discontented vocal minority. On the other hand, the hue and cry over the changes to direct combat spells in SR4A did result in it being changed to an optional rule. I hope they do fix it. There are many changes I dislike in the new edition, but the implementation of wireless "bonuses" is really the only deal-breaker for me.

Yes, we are so discontented with Shadowrun that we talk about it obsessively to the tune of 1,238,604 posts (at the time of this writing).
Temperance
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 6 2013, 06:10 AM) *
As I mentioned in an (adult) writing panel last night, suspension of disbelief is a fickle thing.
There's one book I started reading not too long ago that I simply can't read any more because the main character--a dragon--flew through a narrow canyon and clipped his shoulder on a rock.

It's not impossible, but it puts too much work on me, the reader, in order to justify how that is possible.

Wireless bonuses like ex-ex reporting back the health of the target or extendable batons extending faster falls into the same category:
Is it possible it could work like this? Yes, sure, but it is too unrealistic to maintain the suspension of disbelief.

I can see that. The dragon example is questionable without other context. :/ Though, my mind immediately thought of a couple ways it could work. wink.gif But then, I've also seen birds do similar things when flying around indoors or under decorative eaves. Poor things almost always ended up crashing though. Without that experience, I can definitely see how that would stretch credulity. Heck, watching birds recover from clipping things is pretty incredulous. (The first time I saw it, I probably said "That did not fucking happen.") But then, as I mentioned, reality doesn't need to be realistic.

For a number of SR items, I agree with you. Including, but not limited to, the examples you cited. They completely baffle me. So while I am willing to handwave it (sufficiently advanced technology and all), it wouldn't bother me if they went away completely. Otherwise from what I have seen, I am completely fine with the actual dice bonuses and stuff that can be supported by distributed computing or the like.

But suspension of disbelief? I unequivocally agree she's a fickle bitch. smile.gif

-Temperance
Werewindlefr
So, hold on a second. After a careful reading of the rules, one of the things that bothers me with hacking is how exceedingly easy it is to do it. It takes a semi-decent hacker a couple complex actions to disable or destroy the best hardware there is while taking only mild risk. You can sleaze your way through a top-secret device (rating 6) in 3 actions with reasonable success rate (remember, a good hacker has 15-18 dice to its actions, +edge if needed) and then reboot it or format it.

Doesn't it bother you that hackers can succeed at almost everything in almost no time right from chargen? That even high-security devices melt like butter in front of a hacker?
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jul 6 2013, 09:50 AM) *
So, hold on a second. After a careful reading of the rules, one of the things that bothers me with hacking is how exceedingly easy it is to do it. It takes a semi-decent hacker a couple complex actions to disable or destroy the best hardware there is while taking only mild risk. You can sleaze your way through a top-secret device (rating 6) in 3 actions with reasonable success rate (remember, a good hacker has 15-18 dice to its actions, +edge if needed) and then reboot it or format it.

Doesn't it bother you that hackers can succeed at almost everything in almost no time right from chargen? That even high-security devices melt like butter in front of a hacker?

No. The one thing I hated about SR4 was how long it took to hack things on the fly. Everything was a boring extended test in the Matrix. It only served to slow down the pace of the game. While your Street Sam or Mage will finish combat in about two passes, the Hacker will still be working his techno-wizardry just because Matrix rules were designed to be a bottleneck in the action. And that's just straight up boring.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Werewindlefr @ Jul 6 2013, 12:50 PM) *

Based on how fast combat generally moves, not really. 3 actions is enough for a decent street samurai to completely dismember most of an enemy squad. The hacker himself with a decent gun skill could probably do more damage with a rifle.

I see this coming up more when you run into someone so badass that hitting them is a problem -- MbW or WR + RE etc for 20 dodge dice, and so on. Someone that needs to be taken down a peg fast.
Sengir
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Jul 6 2013, 07:00 PM) *
No. The one thing I hated about SR4 was how long it took to hack things on the fly. Everything was a boring extended test in the Matrix. It only served to slow down the pace of the game. While your Street Sam or Mage will finish combat in about two passes, the Hacker will still be working his techno-wizardry just because Matrix rules were designed to be a bottleneck in the action. And that's just straight up boring.

1.) Faster resolution does not necessitate higher chances of success
2.) The problem with hacking at combat speed is that stuff outside combat happens at the same timescale. The hacker can screw with your eyes in two Combat Turns? Well, that means the hacker sitting next to Joe Wageslave in the cafe just needs six seconds for Joe's commlink, too. The hacker can wave his hands and make the fire door come crashing down on an unfortunate guard? In other words, the hacker can pwn MCT's security while driving past the facility, without even slowing down suspiciously.

Fast resolution OOC is nice and well, but if R6 devices cause little slowdown IC you open a huge can of graboids.
Shadow Knight
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 6 2013, 12:49 AM) *
You rather overestimate the importance of forums like this. They're hilariously non-representative. It's one thing to take feedback from places like this and give it due consideration, but you do NOT look to forums like these for an accurate idea of how the playerbase at large feels.

I never said do it here. I said fill THEIR inboxes. Enough complain and it will change
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Jul 6 2013, 01:00 PM) *

But it's also non-sensical. The best device security systems can't slow down a chargen hacker more than an action, if he's unlucky!
It's also very "all-or-nothing" and instantaneous. A Decker can't plan the hacking of a new top-secret satellite and setup a way to slip through its defense via careful study.

Based on how fast combat generally moves, not really. 3 actions is enough for a decent street samurai to completely dismember most of an enemy squad. The hacker himself with a decent gun skill could probably do more damage with a rifle.

The Decker doesn't even need to be there and can defend itself against the Street Sam, much more than the later can defend itself against the hacker. There are lots of relatively simple options to defend against a physical attack and make it costly for the attacker, much less so with the decker.

Basically, in SR5, it takes a decker to take down/defend against a decker.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (RHat @ Jul 6 2013, 08:49 AM) *

I would be SHOCKED if Catalyst gets more feedback about the game than FASA did. Not only shocked, I would be outright skeptical. I remember talking to Mike Mulvihill about this and their experiment with the UCAS elections. Even really pushing it the response rate was super small. And they didn't get that many letters about anything even though their address was in every book (which I see isn't the case in recent ones) - this was pre ubiquitous email remember. And considering the size of the roleplaying market in general, and Shadowrun's in particular . . .

You might want to send an email to the line developer and see if he can give you an estimate of the SR5 print run and last few gear sourcebooks were (plot books tend to sell to just GMs), that will give you an idea of how significant the forum-goers are (small or large) compared to casual buyers.
Nath
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 5 2013, 09:05 PM) *
When the wireless bonuses were actually written (by me), I clearly knew that they were designed to work with Matrix Connectivity (I can tell from the rules text). That was in February, though, and in the intervening time I momentarily forgot. To err is human. I am exceptionally human these days.
Frankly, I think CGL may have been pushing immersion too far. I know Fastjack suffers from split personality disorder and was basically daydreaming when he designed the new Matrix, but I don't think it was needed to replicate it for the Matrix rules.
Nath
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 6 2013, 02:31 PM) *
When we assembled our infrastructure, we went to the manufacturers of our equipment and proposed our network design. We spoke to their engineers who design network infrastructure support. They laughed and said the equipment doesn't work that way. It physically *can't* provide the logical support we required. They literally said it was impossible. We made it happen anyway.

I relate that to say this: I have no problems conceptually with any of the ideas presented. Yes, even the bonuses. (I admit some of the wireless bonuses do baffle me, but I'm willing to handwave that on the same premise of accepting the ones I do understand.) On too many occasions, including one that has provided my paycheck for almost 6 years, people have said "That's impossible, it doesn't and can't work that way", and yet it does.

Now, please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying my understanding is greater than the understanding of anyone else. (Or I know more than you [specifically or generally].) What I am saying is, advances in technology may give us ways to do things we haven't imagined because our current understanding of science and technology says such a thing impossible.
To be fair, a number of people complaining about the Matrix bonuses are not saying they're impossible to obtain. For them, it's quite the opposite. They're actually saying they should be obtainable without the need for a Matrix access, rather than with it.

Except for the sound suppressor I guess.
vapor
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 6 2013, 09:50 AM) *
Yes, we are so discontented with Shadowrun that we talk about it obsessively to the tune of 1,238,604 posts (at the time of this writing).

Most of which are circlejerks and side arguements.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 6 2013, 06:42 PM) *
To be fair, a number of people complaining about the Matrix bonuses are not saying they're impossible to obtain. For them, it's quite the opposite. They're actually saying they should be obtainable without the need for a Matrix access, rather than with it.

Actually some of the bonuses are reversed. Take for instance the smartlink. It's suppose to only give you the +2 dice if you're connected to the matrix, it only gives an accuracy boost if you're not connected. This is the reverse of what it should be.

QUOTE (vapor @ Jul 6 2013, 06:53 PM) *
Most of which are circlejerks and side arguements.

They are still discussions about Shadowrun.
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 6 2013, 11:26 AM) *
1.) Faster resolution does not necessitate higher chances of success
2.) The problem with hacking at combat speed is that stuff outside combat happens at the same timescale. The hacker can screw with your eyes in two Combat Turns? Well, that means the hacker sitting next to Joe Wageslave in the cafe just needs six seconds for Joe's commlink, too. The hacker can wave his hands and make the fire door come crashing down on an unfortunate guard? In other words, the hacker can pwn MCT's security while driving past the facility, without even slowing down suspiciously.

Fast resolution OOC is nice and well, but if R6 devices cause little slowdown IC you open a huge can of graboids.

Your straw man arguments are silly.

In example 2, are we to assume that the runner's are in a facility with no spider or IC to offer Matrix defense? And despite that the Matrix has been faster then meat in previous shadowrun editions, why does it make sense for the Matrix to be "faster" in the sense you can break the rules and get 5 IP, yet slower because every Matrix Test is an extended test that takes at least 3 passes on average to get passed a firewall and then several more passes to do what you really want to do while combat is over in a flash for every other archtype?

As for example 1, you don't know the rules so you can't assume that success will come that quick and easy. What makes you think you can't buy IC as a non-decker and have some Matrix defense? Or, simply turn off the device and make the enemy decker suffer dumpshock?
lokii
Catalyst needs to do something substantial in order to get the attention of the forums.

Why?

Because they're exclusive. And fun and they lead to a better life!

Carry on.
Moves
I've been GMing Shadowrun for over a decade and I can count the number of deckers/hackers I've had on one hand. The mechanics were never all that great for them, and NPCs filled the role. Nobody wants to show up an hour early to run through the Matrix, and then sit on their hands for the rest of the run.

To me, I think that giving hackers something to do in combat is a good move, even if it imbalances the field for cyber sammies.

Storyline wise, the disadvantage makes sense to me. I've always viewed cybered out characters as guys who gave up a ton to be a runner in the first place. They don't have the natural magical ability that characterizes the sixth world. So they called the surgeon and settled for the next best thing.

They should be a little bit behind the blazing fast hackers. They should be less powerful than the mojo slingers. It's the cost of admission for being mundane.

Playing a character who's just a touch slower, and a bit more vulnerable than the rest of the team can be a hell of a lot more fun than rocking a world-crushing ammo absorber, anyway.

My two cents. (and my first post! Cheers, Dumpshock!)
Tanegar
QUOTE (Moves @ Jul 7 2013, 01:14 PM) *
I've been GMing Shadowrun for over a decade and I can count the number of deckers/hackers I've had on one hand. The mechanics were never all that great for them, and NPCs filled the role. Nobody wants to show up an hour early to run through the Matrix, and then sit on their hands for the rest of the run.

To me, I think that giving hackers something to do in combat is a good move, even if it imbalances the field for cyber sammies.

Storyline wise, the disadvantage makes sense to me. I've always viewed cybered out characters as guys who gave up a ton to be a runner in the first place. They don't have the natural magical ability that characterizes the sixth world. So they called the surgeon and settled for the next best thing.

They should be a little bit behind the blazing fast hackers. They should be less powerful than the mojo slingers. It's the cost of admission for being mundane.

Playing a character who's just a touch slower, and a bit more vulnerable than the rest of the team can be a hell of a lot more fun than rocking a world-crushing ammo absorber, anyway.

You're overlooking a few things: one, magical ability doesn't characterize the Sixth World. Canonically (not that this has ever been reflected in gameplay, but that's a whole other kettle of worms), 0.1% of the general population possess any magical ability at all. One in one thousand. Assuming a world population of ~7 billion (someone please correct this number, the 6WA inexplicably lacks this datum), that's 7 million Awakened on Earth. Those 7 million include everyone with even a trace of ability, right down to the SURGElings who have astral perception and nothing else. The percentage of those who are strong enough to be PC magicians and adepts is vanishingly tiny.

Two: deckers are also mundane. Technomancers aren't, but again, different can of fish.

Three: Street samurai are the killers. Throughout every edition of Shadowrun, samurai have been presented as the "lords of the physical street." (SR2 shout-out!) Again, that hasn't always been reflected in gameplay, yadda yadda. They are the guys you want on your side when the bullets start flying. They are second-best to no-one.

Four: It's a game. If one of the core archetypes is rendered intentionally underpowered, that is poor game design.
Sendaz
But cyber does have the advantage that it can be cranked out and can be adapted to the situation quite a bit faster than spell research can.

That said it will be interesting to see deckers coming back into their own.

QUOTE (Moves @ Jul 7 2013, 01:14 PM) *

As a fellow Minnesotan, even if I live in the UK currently, Well Met!! smile.gif

Bit of Minnesota trivia: Minnesota is an ancient Native American word for 'Land of Perpetual Snow' as well as 'Land of Constant Road Works' biggrin.gif
hermit
They should be a little bit behind the blazing fast hackers.

Thing is, unless the hacker is in VR (and a meat bag in the real world) they're going to be slow. The problem I see is not the team hacker out-bricking the sam in the physical, it's the demiGOD in VR doing overwatch bricking everyone to bits.
Daedelus
QUOTE (Shadow Knight @ Jul 6 2013, 01:33 AM) *

My group has already started flooding them with we DO LIKE THEM emails. Don't mistake the negative opinions for the only ones that they are receiving

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 6 2013, 06:50 AM) *

Except that 619,302 of them are in support of the system, and represents maybe 30 people. This is a semi-sarcastic and vastly estimated comment used to point out that not everyone here disagrees with the direction the rules went, and that most of us the comments come from a very small group posting a large number of times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012